[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35
File: 1465757513473.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1465757513473.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread: >>47991518
>>
What is it like to wield a power fist?
>>
>>48055131
Like getting the Berserk powerup in Doom.
>>
>>48055131
https://youtu.be/0BRCkFM2TaY
>>
MEGA guy here. I threw a little text file in the root directory for the next time the thread dies early.

Can't miss it.

Also, I got distracted by a wiki walk that ended up with me reading the Emperasque stuff. I've been so absorbed in 40k lately, I completely missed the launch of Shen's Last Gift for XCOM 2.

As always, lemme know if shit needs updating.
>>
Siege infantry from the regiment creation pdf is missing half of the stats it gives.
>>
>>48054873
So I'm prepping to run Purge the Unclean with my group, and I just finished reading all the adventures. The first two missions seem pretty tight, but the third one, Baron Hopes, looks really... meh. It's described as a horror mission, and while it has some horror elements, the overall theme seems to be more investigative, with a zombie-survival climax (which I don't think anyone would classify as horror, even at the time this was published). Does anyone have any advice on spicing this mission up and/or making it an actual horror mission?
>>
>>48056451
Add a chaos space marine or 3.
>>
>>48056451
I haven't read the mission so I can't give detailed advice, but I've run dozens of horror themed games and know a lot about horror writing, so I could offer something.

It's hard to create horror when the PC's are a bunch of superhumans. You need to find a way to depower them somehow, either by presenting a situation where their weapons and powers are near-useless, or by presenting something the PC's have no idea how to deal with, but remains an evergrowing threat unless they find out soon, what's important for the latter though is to make them feel like they're only at the tip of the iceburg.

Providing that these scenarios (Whichever one you choose or both) are setup in such a way to create growing tension (e.g Disturbing visions which grow worse and worse as they reach the climax) it's all good, failing to do it and nothing's scary. I find that mystery, tension and vulnerability are the three corners of proper horror.
>>
So, MEGA guy again, and I have a solution to the whole issue where I occasionally drop off the face of the Earth every so often.

I whipped up a user page on 1d4chan. ZeroSumGame. Use that if I'm AWOL and shit needs fixing or updating.
>>
>>48057578
Right, I suck at wiki markup, and can't firgure out how to get the email thing working, just post on the talk page if shit breaks, I'll get an email alert.
>>
Can wraithbone mutate?
I'm writing down some ideas for DH camaping and it'll focus on a world that was once inhabited by long lost xeno species.
Said species used unknown material that grows by itself to build their cities. You just plant it down and it grows like a living thing, you just need to shape it in the right way. Turns out that the materiali is another, non-sentient, parasitic species that turns entire plaet atmosphere to suit its growth(think Beksinsky: the landscape). Then all sorts of strange shenenighans happen, like inquistor wanting to weaponize it, rogue trader bringing it to hive city, ork spores fighting with parasitic spores for dominance, etc.
I just don't know if I should include eldars into it's origins.
>>
>>48058306
No.
>>
>>48058306
Sure, why not? It's your game. Your canon.
>>
>>48058396
>It's your game. Your canon

You can't make up canon in an established universe.

Despite this, wraith bone can mutate, especially in the eye of terror. See the image of that rainbow inquisition fighting a chaos eldar.
>>
>>48056451
>tfw I accidentaly ctrl W my entire post.
Condensed version, then.

>1
Have the zombies be less mundane. Serrated Query means you can use all sorts of fun stuff, so I'd infect the mutants/zombies with xenos parasites.
>more consistency and body horror
>allows for small creatures existing the destroyed corpes and attacking you
>small creatures attaking for the ceilling, fissures in the walls, ventilation shafts,...
>separated body parts with the parasites inside still moving and attacking
>possible contamination of a miner/arbites friend; provides moral choice: give immediate Emprah's mercy or keep a valuable asset (until they turn)
>A Shoggoth/the Thing-like abomination is also possible. And if you make it vulnerable to only one thing you can use it as a hint on how to destroy Morirr, the other unkillable opponent of this scenario.

>2
Have the Royal Scourges as a third party coming in the mines to clean this whole mess with holy promethium (including the acolytes).
>different challenge that adds up with the mutant and zombie threats.
>can provide horrific exposition without putting your players in danger, by having some scourges killed and/or turned.

>3
Make the final confrontation take place somewhere else
>Hunt Morrir in his lair. It makes no sense that he would expose himself instead of sending all his minions to kill you, and exploring a maze of tunnel while repelling waves of zombies makes for a better challenge.
>A cave-in isolating some members of the party can also be a good idea.

>4
Use the miners that merged with the stone
>semi-biological corridors (shifting, weeping blood,...)
>«statues» that want to help you but slowly descend into madness and corruption
>faces appearing in the wall and crying for help

Ps: The blood weakness is bullshit, and I don't see how players are supposed to understand that major plotpoint unless the baron gives them the answer or a silver platter.
>>
>>48058637
Someone never heard of Souriau's diegesis.

Any cultural work rely on the observer to fill the blanks. No work is complete by itself. If I were to push a bit too far, I'd say that it's only ink on paper, and all the story only exist in your head. You've got to take into account the author's intent, your own cultural interpretations, the limitations of the medium, the internal viewpoint of the story.
And that's for simple settings, not things like 40k that are contradictory messes spanning decades.

Not two persons will absorb exactly the same thing, even if they read the same text.
It's the main reason nerd debates are so intense and usually go nowhere. The real world ≠ Anon's #1 reality ≠ Anon's #2 reality.

Like Rashomon. Which version is canon?
>>
I'm thinking about GMing a 40K game but I've never actually played it before and know next to nothing about the crunch (I've spent countless hours reading about the fluff which is how I go this bright idea). How different is it versus something like Pathfinder? Particularly,
>is it possible to have multiple players acting cooperatively
>is it possible to have "normal" humans in an army without actually being Imperial Guard, and if so what are the different roles they might play (sniper, infiltrator/rogue, Heavy, etc.)
>how much do the game mechanics include gameplay-based RPing (like making a Charisma roll as part of getting someone to do something for you)
>how big should a rogue trader entourage be
>how plausible would it be to play 40K on Tabletop Simulator
>am I a fucking moron
>if so, how
>>
>>48059595
Yes unless if you're plying Black Crusade
Adepta Sororitas? PDF?
Frequently
Really depends on how much resources said Rogue Trader has at his/her/its disposal
Should be fine?
Yes
Not reading at least one RPG books before making that post
>>
>>48059595
1. Uhm... is the question in the line of "players should act like a party?" then yes. Possibly mentioned above Black Crusade may be the exception.

2. Normal as in civilian would be a hard stretch. Not Imperial Guard would be other military assets as Space Marines, Planetary Defence Forces, Adepta Soritas.

3. Enough support for what I've played.

4. Commanding a ship with tens of thousands of crew it may range from his personal advisers (usually PCs), platoon of bodyguards or company of guardsmen to "secure profits".

5. Sounds impractical to me but I don't have any experience with that.

6. You did ask so probably not a complete moron.

7, Only War is usually recommended for beginners. Second I often see Dark Heresy (either edition though I prefer first) as both DH and OW lets the GM set the scenario and funnel the players through a learning experience of the grim future of the 41st millennia.
>>
>>48059595
Just use roll20 if you wanna play online. Last I checked, more and more character sheets and resources were being added every few weeks, and that was about a year and a half to two years ago. Tabletop simulator can be a pain in the ass if the system in question isn't on the Workshop.
>>
File: 412341234.jpg (18 KB, 229x278) Image search: [Google]
412341234.jpg
18 KB, 229x278
So I started an Only War game with some friends. Yanked the setting from His Last Command, since it's a wonderful combination of despair, weirdness and horror, but using a different story naturally. Only two players, but with comrades it fills out their Salamander nicely. New players, too, so I wanted to make this one simple.

>Players arrive in step-city, one nearly goes blind thanks to not heeding the 6 signs saying "PUT ON GLARE SHADES"
>Given mission to find out where missing convoy of wounded went
>Totally ignore Base Commander saying "Going late in the day is dumb, shit comes out at night and will eat you."
>I warned you fuckers
>They leave in Salamander with other Company Salamander tagging along as backup
>Deliberately make the game as uneventful as possible, spending my time instead describing the gloom, the odd noises, and how it's slowly getting darker outside, building tension
>Players drive on to narrow road flanked by trees, their Salamander in the lead
>Totally fuck up Awareness rolls - 4+ degrees of failure
>Surprised as fuck when the thing they were warned about, a Stalker, a 900lb meat golem made of anger and sharp bits, comes barreling out of the woods and slams into their other Salamander, flipping it on to the side
>pic related, my players
>They swing the Salamander around, line up a shot
>Meanwhile, stalker is busy messily devouring the crew of the other tank who didn't even manage to scratch the thing
>Players fire Autocannon at Stalker, manage to make it even angrier
>Stalker charges at them
>Firing still
>Almost on them, the thing is roaring and preparing to leap
>FIREEVERYTHING.FUCK
>Autocannon round manages to crit the stalker in mid leap, tearing it to pieces
>Showers everyone with bits of bone, blood, and their partially-chewed friends from the other tank

I gave them 3 separate chances to detect that thing coming, but RNG was against them and so was their experience. Gonna be finishing the rest of the game tonight.
>>
>>48059384

But this work has an army of lawyers behind it, so to avoid trouble canon is now explicit.

And in Rashomon, the woodcutter story was obviously the correct one because of the artistic methods used to showcase him (weather, environment, etc) and how he received the child from high authority (in this case, synonymous with GW)
>>
How do I decide enemy HP in Only War? I went over the Enemies of the Imperium rulebook a little but that really only covers elite enemies.
>>
>>48062168
the NPC chapter in the corebook itself has some stats for more regular mooks.
>>
>>48055131
It's so bad.
>>
>>48062276
So it does! Thank you.
>>
>>48055131
This, if SB is above average.
https://youtu.be/uNLMW-B7fus
>>
>>48056451
I think main part of horror is up to players. My group refuses to even think of that and turning everything into "ima superhero, I'm not afraid of anything, I died I don't care, rolling new one". So, they must be interested in it, at first place.
>>
File: Inquisiotr_Bronislaw_Czevak.jpg (269 KB, 986x1500) Image search: [Google]
Inquisiotr_Bronislaw_Czevak.jpg
269 KB, 986x1500
>>48058637
>See the image of that rainbow inquisition fighting a chaos eldar.
>>
>>48064446
>"Did I leave the gas on?"
>>
>>48054873
Is it special snokeflakey to create a custom chapter in DeathWatch whose geneseed was an experiment of hybridising White scars and raven guard.

Also, what kind of flaws would the chapter geneseed inevitably have.
>>
>>48065007
They would most likely be Cursed Founding, where the Imperium was trying shit like that. The appropriate drawbacks would be "Literally anything you and your GM can throw out, the more drastic and horrible the better".
>>
>>48065033
Sounds about right.
>>
>>48065007
>>48065033

Different guy here. What about a chapter descended from blackshields during the horus heresy?
>>
>>48067016
Carcharadons would be close enough
>>
>>48067497
Carcharadons are descendants of the Terran Raven Guard, though.
>>48067016
And yes, that would be, since blackshields are individuals.
>>
File: Ancient Aliens Spess Mareen.jpg (25 KB, 480x349) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Aliens Spess Mareen.jpg
25 KB, 480x349
>>48067921

There were entire warbands of Blackshields wandering around during the Heresy. Sure, if you killed the reaver lord, they would probably fall apart, but those warbands could get pretty big.

It's quite reasonable to consider modern chapters descending from such warbands.
>>
>>48067921
Silent emotionless killers from the depths of space works pretty well for blackshields.
>>
>>48068004

The hours heresy books were a goddamn mistake.
>>
>>48068483
>hours heresy
>the terrifying war in the Imperium sparked by somebody trying to get the Administratum to switch over to daylight savings time
>>
How would 40k rpg stat the 40k equivalent of AGM 114s and AGM 65s and other things of that nature? Mind you, I mean as powerful to 40k tier things as those weapons are to modern things.
>>
Hello, I'm hoping to run a Dark Heresy II campaing with some friends; they are pretty new to tabletop RPGs. This will be my first attempt.

Making them investigate a mysterious space wreckage containing important relics, while fighting a warband of stranded pirates, sound like a good idea for starters?
>>
>OW is $99.99 on amazon
>sold by: Fantasy Flight Games

woah
>>
>>48070194
>space wreckage
Pressurized or no?
>containing important relics
Rumors of important relics
>while fighting
While evading and sometimes fighting

Otherwise yeah, that will work.
>>
>>48070678
Mostly pressurized.

Thanks for the advice :)
>>
>>48069877
Only War: Shield of Humanity has the Sky Eagle Rocket in the Expanded Wargear section. It is described as anti-aircraft missile, but some minor tweaks to its rules should enable it to be used as a general vehicle-based single-target-missile.
>>
>>48069877
All ATGMs in 40k are Hunter-Killer missiles. 350m 3d10+6X pen6 +20 to BS.

I've caressed the idea of homebrewing some rules for warhead diameter in the rpg. Because every launcher doing the same damage, from a LAW to a Hellfire, is completely ridiculous.
>>
>>48060774

That sounds like a fun start. They'll soon learn to pay attention to what people are saying
>>
>>48072211
>>48072285
This.
>>
When playing Only War, do the people you play with remember that comrades exist?
>>
>>48069877

Fear and Loathing has some missile weapons ripped out of ace combat. They all have similar damage but different abilities based on targets.
>>
>>48069108

Ebin, well meme'd.

You know damn well what I meant. Blackshields were individuals who gave up everything to pursue penance in nameless death. There was a tragedy about them, for they were already doomed, but only in death does duty end, so their loyalty carried them through.

Now it's just one more formerly good thing shoehorned into the abortion that is the heresy with UH OH SPAGHETTIOS.
>>
>>48073990

For buffs, they do. Otherwise they're forgotten.
>>
>>48061293
Why would GW's lawyers get involved in attacking an unpublished adventure by some GM?
>>
Do you guys agree with Ravenor in that Radicalism is ultimately inevitable for Inquisitors, and the best case scenario for them is to do as much good as possible and hope they die before they fall? Or do you feel that this is overly cynical?
>>
>>48076683
>Do you guys agree with Ravenor in that Radicalism is ultimately inevitable for Inquisitors
It depends on the Inquisitor but I want to say no.
>>
>>48076110

You know everything went downhill after Chapterhouse, right?
>>
>>48076683
I believe that every Inquisitor will eventually do something they once thought abhorent. What that is is contextual however. Some may become Xanthites while others may utilise spies within Cults instead of crushing the cult outright. Whatever they end up doing, it's something they never would have dreamed of doing when they took the badge.
>>
>>48076683
Well, since Inquisitors have no retirement plans and have access to rejuvenating treatments and bionics, your carreer either ends with death of with corruption.

But in the end I'm gonna say no. Puritans inquisitors can die when they're still uncorrupted, and saying to a non-radical inquisitior that it's only a matter of time is too easy.

It's like probabilities with infinite numbers: When will you roll the 1 that leads to radicalism? Statistically, you will, at one point or another. But you still can roll an infinite amount of times without rolling a one.
and with that shitty metaphor, anon sees that it's time for him to go to sleep
>>
>>48072211
>>48072285
I'd like a small chance to put a Leman Russ into criticals if I roll max damage, and unless I'm rather misunderstanding the way vehicle damage works, that doesn't seem possible with any of the stuff that's in the book, otherwise I'd use it.

>>48074493
Hmm, I'll look into them. Thank you.
>>
>>48081669
RF works the same with vehicles, just that they roll on the vehicle crit table and can have traits and special abilities that reduce the effect of crits.
>>
>>48081669

The inability to one shot vehicles is a design choice, not a flaw. Fights wouldn't be fun if they were over in one hit.
>>
So, my Only War Party got quite badly fucked up on their last outing. They managed to (mostly) last an entire day assaulting an enemy held city, but most of them had to burn fate to survive, as I showed them just how dangerous city fighting, and a forlorn hope assault are.

I was expecting them to come out of it a hell of a lot better than they did, and I've had to quietly put the next stage of the assault back in my folder for use later. My big problem is trying to decide what to do with them while they're recuperating.

Light (hahah) Duty in the Imperial Camp?
Behind the Lines shenanigans?
Non-Combat duty on (or just behind) the front lines?

I can't decide, and I want to know what sounds best to you lot.

A - Being attached to Command (probably their own CO, but possibly higher
B - M*A*S*H/Ain't Half Hot Mum/General crap in the Imperial Camp (Maybe dealing with Medics, Quartermasters, maybe a Smuggling Ring?)
C - So, we have an Imagist and a Propaganda Team who need escorting somewhere they can see fighting, but we want you to bring them back alive...

What do you reckon /40krpg/?
>>
>>48082072
Genestealers
>>
>>48082072

Necrons
>>
>>48081899
That was never my intent. On great rolls, a lasgun can put a character into low criticals, and I want the same out of my anti-armor weapons. The ones in the book aren't satisfactory in that regard. OHKing a Leman Russ isn't what I want, even if it would accurately reflect my conclusions, it wouldn't be fun and therefore I'm dialing back.
>>
File: CultMechanicusWallpaper.jpg (310 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
CultMechanicusWallpaper.jpg
310 KB, 1920x1080
A friend of mine wrote a kickass AdMech song a few weeks back for our hybrid Rogue Trader/Grey Knight game, and we just finished putting it to music. Gothic enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy-sVTaZRPk

I still think he should write one based off a Bowie song to fit his David-Bowie-in-space Techpriest,
>>
>>48082797
>Skitarii blood on the rafters

I'm shamelessly going to use this in my own games. That was great.

>I still think he should write one based off a Bowie song to fit his David-Bowie-in-space Techpriest,
And yes, yes he definitely should.
>>
>>48056451
I actually completely dropped Baron Hope for my group's current "play through all the published missions" run, and moved straight from Shades on Twilight to the House of Dust and Ashes.

If you think it's a weakly written mission don't be afraid to skim over it. If your players are into the first two they should be ranked enough for HoDaA.
>>
Hey anons, I've got this idea for a DH 2.0 campaign: In the Askellion sector, the frontier planet Temperance comes under attack by Orks, and the Inquisition is unusually interested in stopping the invaders. So, I need fun histories/names for two warp-capable voidcraft featured in the first session:
>"Retired" battleship turned troop transport
Players and 4 imperial guard companies arrive in system on this ship. It still has a few operational cannons but the rest have been ruined or are too exotic to repair. Washed up in the Askellion sector after being lost somewhere else.
>Smuggling vessel that specializes in forbidden relics but looks prestigious rather than sketchy
It's the kind of vessel that an Indiana Jones villain would operate. Shiny, but with secret passages.

When the IG and Acolytes arrive, the smuggling vessel has been partially hijacked by the Orks. The Navigator is still alive and leading the human resistance of the surviving crew, sort of. An IG regiment and the Acolytes board the ship. While the guard battle the Orks, the Acolytes are collecting information, VIPs, or survivors.
>>
>>48082797
Astounding.
>>
>>48059595
Crunchwise, the FFG 40kRPG are very, very different from Pathfinder. As someone who plays plenty of Pathfinder, I prefer the d% system way more.

Based on your questions the first thing you might want to ask yourself is: What type of game do I want to run?

> Investigation, intrigue, horror and violence?

Dark Heresy. My favorite of the systems, due to it's smaller scope and much closer focus on the "common people" of the universe. Crunchwise I prefer 1e to 2e.

> Grand adventures, profit and violence?

Rogue Trader. The character's are the most powerful starting characters you will get: both in terms of personal power and what they have at their disposals.

> Action and violence?

Deathwatch. Players are all Space Marines. Means it heavily limits how the game

> Freedom, evil and violence?

Black Crusade. My least favorite of the systems so I don't have much to say.

> Action, tactics and violence?

Only War. Play as a squad of Guardsmen off in some crusade. You get a companion who gets to do the messy dying stuff for you to.

Choose which sounds best for you, get the PDF of the book and get reading would be the best place to go.

Oh and I run these games in roll20 and Maptools no problem. Would be the best option IMO.
>>
>>48082797
10/10, would want entire album
>>
Haha Frontier World IG Ace Aeuronotica with Psychic Powers is pretty good. Hotshot Pilot, Push the Limit and Hull down work well with Invigourate. Foreboding and Prescience help too.
>>
>>48084873
Not having an Astropath Waifu buff you instead of being a filthy mutant.

https://youtu.be/gJ6c8z3R4ek
>>
>>48084949
More Psyker waifus
>>
>>48085017
https://youtu.be/gwMYLzePzgk
>>
I'm DMing and I need help making a good villain.

Here is the gist so far:
>Deathwatch
>Team has been sent to a planet untouched by war
>Planet has also been untouched by technology. The Imperium keeps an eye on it, but there are too few people to bother colonizing it. So the peopel on this planet are stuck in the middle ages. Think medeival europe, but less war.
>The Imperium's contact, who serves as the high priest for the planet's people, informs the imperium that a black stone gate has been found behind a giant waterfall
>Deathwatch team sent in. Humans on the villages think of them as monsters first, but the clergy clears it out and the people see them as literal angels.
>They do some missions to gather some stone keys, and are now ready to open the gate that leads to a Necron lair.

This is where the story is right now.
What I have in plan is this:
>Team defeats a necron robot guardian thing to get into the lair
>They do some recon. Find out that the necrons are awakening.
>First contact with the Necron lord. I want this to be memorable
>Command orders the Deatwatch team to pull out.
>Team must secure a landing site for a friendly Space Marine chapter to land in and defeat the necrons just outside their gate.
>I want this to be a large battle where the Necron lord is taken out. Bonus points if I can get some of that beautiful European architecture to be destroyed in the process.

The difficultly comes in with the Necron lord. I want to give him character, but I don't know how to carry this out. Furthermore, I would like the Necron lord to be interested in human psychology in some way.

See... I want to run the "betrayal game" on my players. It's a game where each person is paired with another, and each person must choose to ally or betray their partner. It works out such that choosing betray is the most logical answer, unless you know your partner will also ally. I want to run this on my players somehow. But I don't know how.
>>
>>48085804
Do Hateful Eight and say "one of you hear is not who he says he is" and have them role dice. Whoever comes closest to your number is an alpha legion (or hopefully something more clever). Tell the player in private after the game but float the idea around with all of them.
>>
File: 1462136723792.jpg (172 KB, 940x681) Image search: [Google]
1462136723792.jpg
172 KB, 940x681
DEATHWATCH BITCHES

I kind of want to run this almost space hulk style of dungeons crawls where marines fight Tryanids campaign, but fuck is it hard to find good dungeon maps for online play. Any ideas?
>>
How do I know if a certain Talent procs with Vehicle weapons? Stuff like Deathdealer or Mighty Shot
>>
File: 1461982695404.jpg (200 KB, 1156x1800) Image search: [Google]
1461982695404.jpg
200 KB, 1156x1800
>>48085017
Got a couple from Navigator Quest.
>>
File: 1465673772215.jpg (121 KB, 524x492) Image search: [Google]
1465673772215.jpg
121 KB, 524x492
>Party needs place to stay in the Hive
>Head to residential district for a bunkhouse
>Techpriest hits up local database to find well reviewed bunkhouses in the area
>Have the first five all planned out, different names, backgrounds, NPCs but all related to the plot
>Explain names and bit of info about each one to Techpriest
>He says he wants to find the worst one in the hive in order to keep their cover
>Panic
>Didn't think my players would do something smart for once
>Have to come up with names for the bunkhouses
>Super ill, have a bunch of medicine on the desk
>Lemsipon, Mug's House, and Strepsilon Place are the names I come up with
>Players don't even realise where I got names from, tell me I'm good at coming up with names
>>
>>48082072
B sounds good. Non-combat, smuggling ring would be a good chance for them to recover and gain allies.
>>
>>48087925
This.
>>
>>48087887
I'm guessing your players are dumb?
>>
Mega guy on phone, I will be unavailable for the day. Will check thread later for needed updates, feel free to post them whenever.
>>
>>48086931
Make them yourself, there's a whole load of tilable textures online that you can stitch together to make dungeon maps.
>>
/tg/, I come to you seeking your sage advice. Please don't be concerned, I'm not insane.

>What would be d10 damage of a tactical nuke? Let's assume yield of 50-60 kt TNT. Should I even bother with estimating damage or just take radius of total destruction into account?
>Power fields / Terminator armour
It says you have approx. 30% chance of shrugging attack. Would multiple tests be required for blast wave / change of pressure and fireball damage?

Sorry if I'm being autistic, but someone should understand they shouldn't fuck with archeotech they don't understand.
>>
File: 1465814070412.png (1 MB, 1380x1130) Image search: [Google]
1465814070412.png
1 MB, 1380x1130
>>48088334
They usually are. This was all in the first session, they had to get planetside from an orbiting spaceport. Their Inquisitor is a flashy prick who cares little for his own subtlety but expects it from his Acolytes, he said that they were permitted to use his Aquila Lander (COVERED in Inquisitorial symbols) to go to a local hive. I made it perfectly clear that they didn't have to take it and there were a bunch of planet bound cargo vessels they could smuggle or bribe their way onto but they decided to get in the Inquisitorial shuttle, even asking a dockhand if he had any paint to cover up the seals with. I'm not railroading them, but they do choose the harder path a lot of the time.
>>
>>48089000
Checked. Also, make it as high as you like. Your players shouldn't survive that.
>>
File: Lance Strike.jpg (273 KB, 652x912) Image search: [Google]
Lance Strike.jpg
273 KB, 652x912
>>48089000
Lance strikes from orbit are 5d10+10 E 10 Pen in Deathwatch, for those who are beyond 500 meters away from its center. Within 500 meters it assumed death.
Seconding how >>48089162 puts it.

I'd have the power fields should fail in the death radius. Outside of it one test with a -10 maybe, terminator armour is quite good protection.
>>
>>48089000

An atomic is an instant kill on a starship. They shouldn't be able to survive that unless they have a refractor or something. Literally save or die.
>>
>>48087343
Because they're weapons like any other.
>>
>>48090845
>>48087343

The talent may say. Storm of iron, for example, does not work on vehicles because the talent denies it.
>>
>>48087353
heretical
>>
>>48054873
Dark Heresy original; what does the 'fast' trait mean on a melee weapon?

and can penetration penetrate toughness bonus? At all? are high-pen weapons useless vs daemons?
>>
>>48093094
Target takes -20 to parry tests tests against attacks made with the weapon.

No. Yes. Get sanctified.
>>
>>48093131
Thank you. You were fast and useful. Just got enough time to answer now.
>>
>>48093444
lol what an autist
>>
I wonder if I am not occasionally shafting my players in Rogue Trader.

A player wanted to get a Best Craftmanship Energy Plate on Damaris. He rolled well, but I thought that if BC items are supposed to be extremely rare, it would be unlikely that even a developed colony like Damaris would have some.He had a very good acquisition roll, but I rolled behind the screen if the item was there and told him that there aren't any BC energy plates, but a fair few common craftmanship ones. The player was a bit annoyed, because he thinks I pulled it out of my ass and that the good acquisition roll should also cover the chance that the item existed - also,the energy plate is only rare and Damaris is a very big community.

I was checking the book and I actually could not find any mention of the craftmanship reducing the availability of the item, only the profit factor roll for the acquisition.This strikes me as odd, btw - I expect that, for example, a best craftmanship plasma gun would not only be a lot more expensive than a normal one, but a good deal rarer as well. Am I missing something?

Also,a side issue - I was reading the Damaris Gazetteer and it lists the population of Damaris at around 3 billions, with one third in the capital. That definitely does not look like the capital on the map or like a planet having "tens of thousands"of soldiers. Low millions would make a lot more sense, given what you have to deal with in the case of a certain ork invasion.
>>
>>48094446
I thought craftsmanship upped rarity by one step for good, two for best and down by one for poor?
>>
>>48094536

It ups the rarity for the difficulty of the acquisition test. However, the availability of the item itself, as listed in the Armoury section, does not account for craftmanship, just for the base rarity of the item and the size of the settlement (the craftmanship further modifies the time it takes to find the item, but not if the item can be found in the first place).

BTW, engine plate can be a pretty decent armor if you are not trying to be stealthy. Best craftmanship is AP 8 and weighs less than carapace...
>>
How heretical is your non-Black Crusade party?
>>
>>48096699
Somewhere about 3 picohoruses.
>>
File: Make Money in spare time.jpg (61 KB, 500x580) Image search: [Google]
Make Money in spare time.jpg
61 KB, 500x580
>>48094446

As far as I have understood it, the Availability by population is for a GM to determine how long it takes until they find somebody with an item. This is the first step where the GM decides if an item actually exists on the world. The only rolling here is for how long it takes before the GM makes the decision. It is entirely possible that at this step, you can search for a few weeks and not find something. Even that is a bit of a stretch - in DH, the only thing that was GM's Discretion was Unique items. In RT, it's assumed your spy network has found someone, at least.

When you roll the Acquisition test, it is assumed that by this second step the players have found the item, the GM has said "They have the item and are willing to sell," and you are then haggling over the item in question. The player will be a bit confused if both steps are completed and then a third secret step is implemented.

Of course, maybe the dealer in question was bluffing, and just made himself a very powerful enemy and made himself a plot point in the future. But overall it's a two step process, and rolling to essentially cancel a successful acquisition test is not the best of actions to take.
>>
>>48098151
>Was just bluffing about having something
>Lasting long enough to be a plot point
>>
File: KFC in CHina.jpg (54 KB, 520x290) Image search: [Google]
KFC in CHina.jpg
54 KB, 520x290
>>48098272

While in a majority of cases this is true, ITS does talk about rarer items being harder to find as genuine articles. It may be weeks, for example, before you find that exotic Terran Snakeskin pistol-holster was actually made by Fio'la Cha'ng on Bork'an with dried rat-parts for a giggle, and it just travelled across the galaxy on a false reputation.

The first hint should have been no snakes survive on Terra.
>>
>>48098475
>Snakes died out
>Rats survive
Truly the year 40,000 is a grim, dark future.
>>
Anybody running any groups? I feel the need to purge xeno or be a filthy, yet successful heretic.
>>
>>48098706

No new teams until January at the earliest. By then, Solaris should be ready.
>>
How many people here would be interested in a Deathwatch game focused on Tyranids?
>>
>>48099323
I would be. My first and pretty much only Deathwatch game was about killing heretics. Killing xenos would be great.
>>
>>48099323
I am interested, but i could only participate if it's play by post. Can't really make room in my schedule for another live-game.
>>
>>48099323
I would if only to play something.
>>
>>48099508
lmao nice cancer
>>
>>48099425
>>48099508
>>48099522
It would probably being over Voice and roll20 to give us a drawn map and way to go faster than typing. I've recently gotten into Deathwatch and bought a bunch of books so I'm really interested in trying a game in the Tyranid infested area.
>>
>>48099580
>voice
>roll20
I'm okay with that.
>>
>>48099580
Then good luck on finding a decent group and cleansing those pesky bugs without me.
>>
>>48099580
I might have some issues with RPing as a SM since I'm not too learned on inter-chapter politics.
>>
>>48099667
That's fine, just download the corebook and go from there. Or hell, make your own chapter and just be an isolated homeschooled marine who doesn't know anybody.

>>48099625
Sweet, I'm hoping for a minimum of three marines with a max of five.

I'll be running on Sundays, probably around 12 PDT.
>>
>>48099667
Fluff it as beeing a backwater successor chapter that has no experience in dealing with other marines.
>>
>>48099667
The GM beat me to it, but

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Spectres
Use this as an example. They only know the Raven Guard as their progenators, and are so isolated that no one really knows who they are beyond being Space Marines.
>>
>>48099064

Excuse, what is solaris?
>>
>>48099718
>12 PDT
I could make that time
>>
>>48099580
another here. I'm down.
>12 PDT
canuck?
>>
>>48099833
Washingtonian

>>48099822
Sounds great

sounds like we have 4!
>>
>>48099849
Post contact info before I become too alcohol.
>>
The Orpheus Salient on roll20, don't know if I need to make it public.

display name Inq W.
>>
File: Solaris Binary Soul.png (997 KB, 1260x660) Image search: [Google]
Solaris Binary Soul.png
997 KB, 1260x660
>>48099745

I want to run an Only War game for people. There will be some restricted archetypes (All guardsmen-types available, techpriest and maybe tempestus scion available). While the regiment is an initial secret, there won't be any surprise chaos or playable xenos. I plan to have a favor system based on objectives completed, and other new things.

Initial premise is more or less "You've been shanghai'd! Time to become soldiers of the Imperium doing the Emperor's work across multiple sectors!"

I think it will be fun, but I need to focus on my Republican Commando game first.
>>
>>48099934
You do need to make it public for us to join from the site or post a link that goes straight to it.
>>
>>48099996
https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1503352/the-orpheus-salient
>>
>>48100038
In that page, there should be an 'invite players' button on the right. Click on that and post share link.
>>
>>48100056
https://app.roll20.net/join/1503352/W0x35Q
>>
>>48100083
There we go.
>>
>>48100083
posted
>>
>>48100083
Any house rules?
>>
>>48100236
Posted them. I'm not to familiar with the system, so there may be exploits I don't know of though.
>>
>>48100267
Use the errata.
>>
>>48100293
Roger
>>
>>48099718
>>48099738
>>48099742
I'm looking at the chapter creation chapter in Rites of Battle and I'm thinking that I should just study up on Ultramarines.
>>
>>48100528
Simple version is to just read the 5th or 6th ed codex rather than paging through wikis.
>>
>>48100528
What army do you play, by the way? You could probably play a chapter known for fighting whatever faction it is so you can bring that familiarity with them into the sessions.
>>
>>48100559
>>48100579
I don't actually play the wargame. Just mostly been from the Dawn of War games, going through lexicanum, and reading 40k rpgs.
>>
How would you run an XCOM 2 campaign set in 40k? I was thinking about using DH or OW and saying the PCs are a group of loyalists who survived a Tau invasion by going underground, but other than that, I'm not really sure where to go with the concept.
>>
>>48100663
Only War.
>>
>>48100609
No worries then. Blood Ravens are in Honour the Chapter if you need something to fall back on, and we're all able to answer questions as needed.
>>
>>48087353
>Navigator Quest
?
>>
>>48100887
>Blood Ravens
>Deathwatch
>Against nids
I don't think I should make Cyrus.
>>
>>48100946
Did you somehow miss the days of endless quest threads making up half the catalogue?
>>
>>48100978
Dude, make whatever you want. I am toying with an Iron Hands Tactical Marine, Blood Angels Apothecary and a Space Wolves Scout. Play what you want man.
>>
>>48100887
Is there a bro/not bro chart for them or anything? I can't quite find much without further digging on if their friends or enemies with other chapters unless if they simply just get along with everyone.
>>
>>48100990
No, I just don't remember it.

Quests were never more than 17% of the catalogue on an active day.
>>
>>48101090
Generally most chapters don't get along with them because the Blood Ravens are the Bloody Magpies who are 'gifted' relics that are missing from other chapters who lack any record of the exchange. They don't have any general friends, but are still pretty cool people themselves.
>>
>>48101138
I mean the Ultramarines, not the Magpies.
>>
>>48101153
On reflection, I really should have stated that for the chart request post since there was nothing in the post it was replying to about Ultramarines.
>>
>>48101153
Oh, Ultramarines are pretty much bros with everybody. Hell, their chapter ability is everyone liking them.

While /tg/ may hate on the 5th edition ward fluff about how perfect they are, Ultramarines really are both the vanilla flavor marine chapter and the most personable. Their thing is about commanding and orders, which makes sense given they're the roman legion chapter.
>>
File: 1271740634544.png (433 KB, 754x819) Image search: [Google]
1271740634544.png
433 KB, 754x819
>>48100990
There's only one quest I cared about on /tg/, and its creator left without a trace.

Pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 600x1078) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 600x1078
>>48101153
>>48101197
The Hammers of Dorn and maybe a couple other chapters hate them.
>>
The faggot that made a point about fall damage sounds like a stupid nigger-dick sucking faggot.
>>
>>48103659
Wot?
>>
>>48103692
>I've never played the FFG 40K RPG's, but I'd be interested in trying it out as I love 40k. My only question is will we be houseruling out the retarded FFG fall damage rules I've heard things about?
I hope he kills himself.
>>
>>48103703
edgy
>>
>>48104063
Why are you letting yourself get cucked?
>>
>>48104097
Repeat please. Something got lost in translation.
>>
>>48104110
Why are you still shitposting?
>>
So, if I wanted to start up a game of Only War, where should I get started?

Is there a good prewritten campaign to use in it?
>>
>>48104449
Yeah, No Surrender and a couple of other Scenario books are available in the databse. For players, post here, in the looking for group thread, or on roll20 if you will host there.
>>
>>48104466
I'm doing it locally, so no need to look for players.

Any recommendations on those books? I'd like to eventually do my own stuff, but a figure a prewritten one both lets me get used to the system and should give many ideas of what to write.
>>
>>48104497
No Surrender is a good one from what I understand, but that's just my opinion. As always, there will always be stuff you'll have to improvise on the spot for your group.
>>
>>48104513
Looking in the mega archive, I only see Final Testament.

Am I missing where to look?
>>
>>48104523
Guess it's not there then, weird.
>>
Hey GM here running Dark Heresy. I am very knowledgeable when it comes to 40k, but I need a little advice, or even tips on how to use the Temple Tendancy. I was honestly going to brush up on Catholicism before the Catholic Reformation in order to portray their oppulance and such once the players uncover the conspiracy. However how have any of you used the Temple in your games? What clues did you leave for your accolytes to pick up on?
>>
File: eternally paranoid bitch-anon.jpg (111 KB, 625x959) Image search: [Google]
eternally paranoid bitch-anon.jpg
111 KB, 625x959
>>48104164
>>
>Stalker boltgun
>Requires respected renown

>Super fancy sharpshooter's rifle in Rites of Battle
>Doesn't have any renown requirement
>>
>>48104705
Switch to dh2 aptitude homebrew, use dw renown to availability conversion.
>>
>>48105011
Not really an option since I was just reading up the errata for the game posted up in the thread.
>>
How do you handle vehicle acquisitions ?

One of my players wants a personal vehicle "something like a jeep" and wants to use his starting influence acquisition to get it.

Is it just assumed the acolytes don't or can't own vehicles because of their working conditions ?
>>
>>48106959
Forgot to mention this is for DH2e
>>
>>48107068

If someone has it, the issue is making them want to sell. It's plausible for acolytes to have a vehicle. If he wants a jeep, try the salamander or tauros.
>>
File: aussie_tanks.gif (3 MB, 274x182) Image search: [Google]
aussie_tanks.gif
3 MB, 274x182
>>48060774
>900 pound monster can flip a 20 ton tank
>>
Anyone know a place where I can find maps for roll20? Going to GM a Only War game for the first time.
>>
>>48106959
I don't see why not. Acolytes have to get around planetside. Give him a cheap autocarriage.
>>
File: Viribius 99x42 World.png (1 MB, 3079x1530) Image search: [Google]
Viribius 99x42 World.png
1 MB, 3079x1530
>>48109458
I use Installation maps by Modifying Donjon maps in MS paint, and make planetside maps with the MegaMek Map editor tool.

I'm sure there are better resources out there, but I'm a hidebound scrub.
>>
can someone please stat me a necron lord equipment to please I can't find one in any of the books.
>>
>>48111298
Check Black Crusade Tomb of Fate.
>>
>>48111385
thanks I'd never have thought to check Tzeentch's book for necrons.
>>
Question about comrades in Only War. Are they able to actually shoot at enemies? According to the comrade section of the book the comrade cant make tests. There is a "Ranged Volley" order but that just gives the PC +5BS
>>
I'm going to be running a 1e Dark Heresy game soon. Are there any issues with the system I should be aware of?
>>
>>48112407
Barring some specific advances/orders that let them use weapons, no.
>>
>>48055220
The deathwatch character sheet in the MEGA is outdated.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sxxfieurndw386i/DW_Character_Sheet_Generator_v1r8_20150930.xlsm
>>
>>48112546
Thank you, this shit was bothering me for a bit
>>
>>48112585
Updated. Cheers.
>>
>>48112457
PC start incompetent.
>>
>>48112457
2e smoothed out some things, consider stealing them, like the new DoS/DoF rules

1e crits are still better and hilarious, though.
>>
>>48099972
I'd be very interested to join, but strongly limited due to my scheduling. Is there any more information on the planned game (like scheduling, medium of play) and any way to apply?
>>
I am in a RT game, and our seneschal wants to improve on his sniper rifle. Can you technically twin-link a sniper? I am not aware of any double-barreled snipers,though this IS 40k.
>>
>>48112803
Space monkeys
>>
On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the easiest, how hard is it to learn to DM Only war when my only DMing experience is 3.P?
>>
>>48112457

At low levels, it feels like Call of Cthulhu in 40k. Autofire rules in combat, and if you want to use accurate weapons, note the extra damage from the errata.

I would say be careful for late game psykers and techpriests running the show, and consider making it easier for scum to get more stuff - iirc they have a remarkably hard time getting the high-end skill advances for social skills they are supposed to be good at.
>>
>>48112847
>>
>>48112847
Depends on if you've played any of the 40k RPGs before, so that you are at least somewhat familiar with the ruleset. If so, I'd say 2. If not, about 3.5
>>
>>48112905
Havent played a single 40k RP or any d100 games for that matter. I got to play 40k tabletop a couple of times with a friend's models, but aside from that most of my 40k background is from reading the books, playing the vidya and generally looking at the pretty pictures.
>>
>>48113001
One of the main things that seperate a 40k rpg from a game like Pathfinder is that instead of rolling against an enemy, it is rolling against yourself.

It isn't rolling to hit at or above AC, it is rolling to hit at or below weapon skill.
>>
>>48112847
>>48113001
Its not that bad Id give it like a 4. I'm in a similar boat. Ive played 3.P mostly.

But Ive also played in a 8month RT campaign so making the switch to OW wasn't to bad.
>>
>>48107837
>>48109503

What about Rarity? For future acquisition rolls with influence
>>
>>48114825
The Hectin Autocarriage, which is pretty much just an ordinary car, is statted on page 190 of the core rulebook. It's Rare.
>>
>>48103703
I can see his point. Tripping for 1d10 damage seems like it could lead to hilarity.
>>
File: 688034576.jpg (12 KB, 176x161) Image search: [Google]
688034576.jpg
12 KB, 176x161
>>48108280
It's warp fuckery, I aint gotta explain shit. It also made for a good OH SHIT visual.

Took the group through the last encounter just now, pitted them against the sentient tank.

>They leave the woods behind, come out into rolling hills
>Dropping hints about low growls in the woods the entire time, and a set of yellow eyes watching them
>They crest a ridge, see the remains of convoy below them
>Chimera's are fucked, sentinel's obliterated, solitary Leman Russ has a smoldering engine deck
>Sarge dismounts to take a look at nearest Chimera, see's dead folks everywhere
>Still growling out in the dark
>Specialist gets wise, order tank to point towards noise, 99% sure it's another stalker
>SURPRISE MOTHAFUCKA I BROUGHT YOU A TANK
>pic related, my players
>Demon tank roars out and starts firing
>The autocannon, it does nothing
>Sarge bolts for the smoldering Leman Russ
>Shot from the Salamander knocks out the eye lights on the enemy tank, it stops, moving its turret
>They realize it's blind and listening to sound
>Sarge finds Leman Russ full of the vitrified remains of the crew, but can still hand crank the turret
>Salamander crew sitting as still as possible, not drawing attention, lots of praying
>Sarge plants one through the hull of the demon tank, detonating its ammo
>Much relief
>Tries to vox in sitrep, gets told "Did you guys miss the retreat order?"
>Queue Benny Hill Music as the group tries to frantically flee the compartment before an orbital strike levels the city

Worked out nicely, and they had fun. But our specialist, jesus christ, the guy HAS to steal and con as many Lho sticks as possible, anywhere he is. He's like Twitch, but with smokes.
>>
>>48108280
Well, from wikipedia
>Mark 82 500lb bomb exerts approximately 863 MJ of energy
>one MJ is equal to the kinetic energy of a one ton vehicle moving at 160 kph

and we know that a 500lb bomb could flip a 69 ton Tiger
so doing some rounding, a half-ton monster moving a bit over 100 kph could flip a 20-ton tank on it's back in one go. Now, 100 kph running speed is a tad unreasonable, but a white rhino can charge at 50 kph and weighs 2 1/2 tons. Let's assume our Stalker runs a bit slower than the 100 kph we need, but even then with a bit of lifting it could still probably roll a chimera chassis. At the very least, the difference is close enough that we can assume for dramatic effect.
>>
>>48115871
Oh wait, my math is fucked. I forgot we needed 863 MJ instead of just one.

So a stalker would not have the force needed to flip a chimera with an impact. I don't know the math needed to determine if it could lift and roll the chassis either.
>>
>>48112847
Similar situation as you are. First system I learned after 3.X was OW.
Mechanically, the system is not difficult. The only bit I found tricky was finding where in the book I went to spend XP, since it doesn't exactly operate on the same class-based system as 3.X. The trouble I had with OW was mainly just getting the group engaged. I was coming in from a military family and a house full of military histories/memories and fiction, while the rest of the party had family who were lawyers, pastors, or even a biologist. The tricks I knew from what I read and where I came from didn't jive with where they all came from, so I struggled a bit getting their characters to fit. I had no trouble just assuming all the party members were united with a common goal, since that's where all the characters from a Tom Clancy novel are coming from, being part of this or that gov't agency. The party meanwhile, all had their own interests and concerns and not quite the same willingness to fall in line behind their NPC lieutenant.

Just keep that mind when running OW. Some parties will take to the system, some won't, and it's not them taking to mechanics so much as it is them fitting into the setting you've built and the responsibilities essentially forced on them. DH 2e works well with OW, which can add a bit more freedom in if the party wants it.
>>
>>48115895
The answer is: It is a fucking xenos abomination and you should be shooting it instead of thinking.
>>
>>48116040
It's just not believable that a even a alien gribbly can flip something that's 40 times its body weight.

That would be like you being able to flip a hummer.
>>
>>48072285
Why don't you make the blast diameter correlate with the warhead mass? Or for special bunker busters more damage smaller blast radius etc
>>
>>48116989
>>That would be like you being able to flip a hummer.
>He can't flip a hummer one-handed
Dost thou even lift, battle-brother?
>>
never played only war before, as a general rule how often does a mixed regiment happen? ya know like Catachans, Cadians, Krieger,etc,etc. or is it almost always just everyone plays in the same regiment? I know its ultimately up to the GM but id like to know if mixed regiments are even half way common occurrences.
>>
>>48117012
Not him, but I looked at that, using the rules for demolitions charges. For an AGM-65 Maverick that works out to 3d10+112 Blast (280). For an AGM-114 Hellfire, its 3d10+18 Blast (45).
>>
>>48117524
>he can't balance two fully crewed Basilisks on his pauldrons and still move and carry the standard Astartes combat gear.
>>
>>48116989
why are you complaining about realism in 40k?
Moreover:
>carnifex_flipping_rhino.jpg
>b-but the carnifex is bigger
But the flesh golem is natty.
>>
>>48117696
I was about to follow this up with a question about where vehicles are hit with the Blast quality, then I realized that with that AGM-65 I can oneshot Leman Russes from any facing.
>>
>>48117651
Mixed Regiment rules are in Hammer of the Emperor
>did it happen real-world, historically
Detachment specialist squad, cross-branch units, or just plain lack of men followed by consolidation into regiments. Take your pick. All have precedent.
>wolverines attached to rifle companies
>airstrike spotters/coordinators attached to infantry regiments
>any reorganization of troops following heavy casualties and a situation where the whole regiment can not be allowed to retire
>>
>>48118031
>>48117651
If what you're asking is "can I play a Krieger while my buddy plays a Catachan while those two guys play Cadians and that one guy plays Elysians", then no, that probably will never happen short of horrific casualties and battlefield reorganization.
>>
>>48118049
Or a standard day at the deparmento munitorium.
>>
>>48118049
>>48118031
If all regiments involved get decimated in the fighting, sure, the Munitorum can just decide to pull them all together. Hilarity then probably ensues.
>>
>>48118125
Unless the entire battlefield is a mess, every deployment certainly is not 15 Hours. All guardsmen should be boarding their transport together, after marshaling together. They should then arrive at the destination together, and deploy together. For this to be scrambled deployment-wide is an indication of sever incompetence, or perhaps even intentional sabotage. Either way, it is not a scenario that should happen often at all, and it is a scenario that will end with all regiments reclaiming their original members.
>>48118127
I'm not sure what your point is, since I covered exactly what you're saying twice.
>any reorganization of troops following heavy casualties
>never happen short of horrific casualties and battlefield reorganization

Go to sleep anon.
>>
>>48118176
>Incompetent Leadership drawback
>>
>>48118251
>regimental leadership disrupting an entire campaign

This level of disruption would be the fault of strategic levels of command. Something that far up the chain is done at GM's digression rather than during regimental creation.
>>
>>48118176
>Unless the entire battlefield is a mess, every deployment certainly is not 15 Hours

Wasn't the entire point of the story that it was basically a normal day in the guard?
>>
>>48112585
Someone else want to check this for me?
I'm unable to select the Marines Errant.
>>
>>48119203
That's not the feeling I got from it. If it was a regular occurrence, very little would have been made of it. Moreover, none of the other Guard novels bring this sort of occurrence up, which again adds doubt.
>>
>>48119211
Double click. When it is a list like that, you double click on the thing since there is no confirm button.
>>
>>48119239
Name any other guard novel that's about a no-name regiment that's new to the battlefield.
>>
File: nah.gif (140 KB, 459x303) Image search: [Google]
nah.gif
140 KB, 459x303
>>48119255
That's how I've selected other chapters, but pic related is all that happens on selecting Marines Errant.
>>
>>48117651
Mixed regiments are certainly a common enough occurrence in lore. But its usually only the conjoining of 2 or at most 3 understrength regiments together.
>>
>>48119324
Arkan Confederates from Peter Fehervari's Fire Caste.
>>
>>48119379
And how does it go for them?
>>
>>48119410
The Regiment remains unified save some desertions until the end of the book. I'm not sure what you're looking for.
>>
>>48119446
My point was that most IG books are about heroic regiments and their heroic actions.

15 hours seemed to be a novel about what 99% of the guard is like: you get tossed into a meatgrinder and then you die, all over a clerical mistake no one noticed or questioned.
>>
>>48119368
Huh. Maybe try making them as close as possible in the custom chapter part and using that as a stand-in?
>>
>>48119476
That's what I'm working on now, yeah.
>>
File: TESO makes TES noncanon.jpg (167 KB, 1404x634) Image search: [Google]
TESO makes TES noncanon.jpg
167 KB, 1404x634
>>48119468
This is true, but if we say that 15 Hours is how 99% of the guard life goes, then isn't it just some kind of post-hoc In-universe retconn, like pic related, where it similarly is coming from something of an upstart author who has gone and declared all other IG fiction, before and after, to be fanciful portrayals. Given how Black Library's canon works, this could be entirely possible.

Don't get me wrong, I have no doubts that the Primer is often used as toilet paper, but if every single campaign and crusade the Imperium launched went the route of 15 Hours, then essentially 99% of everything ever written about the Imperium and her victories is in question for legitimacy. The reason I doubt 15 Hours is because so many other works paint an entirely different picture, namely the victories spoken of the in various Codices.

Does 99% of the IG life consist of getting thrown into the meatgrinder? Sure. Is it because of a clerical error 99% of the time? That specifically is what I doubt. Most campaigns should not be as disorganized as 15 Hours was, hence my argument.
>>
*braces*

I'm looking for a DW game that's using or interested in using the Grey Knights supplements included in Daemon Hunters book. If such a such a game or interest in such a game exists, I'd like to hear about it.

*Braces harder*
>>
>>48119368
Hm. I think I figured out the problem.

The VB Code for the chapter was omitted at parts, probably overlooked. I got it fixed, so you can pick it again.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmjbpu6h90hrjw7/DW_Character_Sheet_Generator_v1r8_20150930.xlsm?dl=0
>>
>>48119972
The problem most GMs see in grey knight campaigns, from what I can tell, is that officially they're so stiff and wooden as personalities by lore requirements that they make Keanu Reeves' acting seem lifelike in comparison.

Players already get stuck in this mentality for regular astartes, so dialling up the levels of superhuman incorruptible robot, while simultaneously stripping away the character chapters provide ... It's not particularly appealing to GM for.
>>
>>48120238
Working now. Thanks for the fix.
>>
>>48120388

I see- I DID notice that as I was re-reading the book. So on the face of it, one would need fairly solid role-players before being able to comfortably approach a Grey Knights game.

Hmm.

Well, my interest remains, so I will remain hopeful.
>>
>>48121023
Honestly, I think the approach could go the other way.

You want a bunch of terrible roleplayers, because that's exactly what Grey Knights are: a bunch of insane combat monsters who struggle to have a regular conversation with anyone.
>>
>>48121750

Hahaha, touche! Well, either way. I still want to play one- and preferably not be terrible/unfun about it.
>>
>>48112826

So how would this work, +20 to hit and 2 hits if it works?

That is one heck of a mean sniper.
>>
Does 40krpg desire to read a greentext about a daring extraction of a deathwatch kill team involving tau, heroism, lost limbs and Eldar dickery?
>>
>>48122631

+20 from Twin-Linked
+10 for Single Shot
+10/20 for Aiming

+1 Hit for 2 Degrees of Success
+1d10 Damage per 2 Degrees of Success (+2d10 max)

That is fucking awful and I want it for my Black Crusade Sniper-Renegade.

As a GM I'd sit down with the player and work out how to apply the DoS bonuses though, the first 2 DoS giving both an extra hit AND +1d10 damage sounds a bit broken. If you get that worked out from the start, and in writing somewhere it'll stop arguments later down the line.
>>
>>48120238
MEGA guy here.

Fair warning, it won't work in LibreOffice or Excel Online, LO because macros (all buttons marked "Clear Custom Content"), EO because workbook, and Microsoft has to get their money somehow.
>>
Are there rules for combined regiments? My players have all picked their own guys like Death Korps or Mordians for example.
>>
>>48124137
As a GM, personally, I wouldn't allow Accurate and Twin-Linked to work together because A) those two qualities are each quite strong on their own, B) two hits per round with Accurate bonus damage is downright disgusting, C) Accurate says it only works with a single shot.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.