[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a player. He's a good friend. Not a bad role player
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (245 KB, 2250x1450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245 KB, 2250x1450
I have a player. He's a good friend. Not a bad role player either.

He has a consistent issue across his characters where he flees headlong away from adventure.

As an acolyte in dark heresy he refuses to do the mission and lies to a commissar with the expected results.

In pathfinder he was given a "ticket" to access a fabled city of legend in a very self aware adventure. He tries to sell it to the surrounding nobles and had to be dragged bodily

It's like he makes every attempt to run away from the plot. Even after I've spoken to him about it. Worse he convinces the rest of the party to follow suit.

Have you ever dealt with a similar player who makes you shake your head and ask "why are you even here?"
>>
>Okay. You sell thicker and live a normal life. If you want to participate in the adventure please use one of my premade characters since I know you would do something like this.
>I have plenty more if you run in the opposite direction of the plot as usual.
>>
>>48050975

This is why Fate has compels and Trail of Cthulhu has Drives. Play better systems.
>>
>>48051011 Better yet:
>OK. You sell the ticket and life a normal life. You are now playing the noble. Here's your character sheet.
>>
>>48051160
Should have would have.

I'm inclusive to a fault.

I had another player, running a ranger in pathfinder. He refused to get off his log in his camp because "he had no reason to adventure with these hooligans"

I told him he needs to supply that with his backstory but as he dug in his heels I crashed an airship in his woods destroying everything to force him off his ass.
>>
>>48050975
I know you don't want to admit it, but your friend is That Guy. And if you've already talked to him about it, your only recourse is to kick him. He shouldn't have signed up for a game about adventurers if he didn't want to play one.
>>
Quickly OOC tell him something like this:
>Dude, I know you like staying in-character being cautious. But, you really need to think about how running away from any plot is detracting from the other player's fun as they need to constantly wrangle you in or else you'll hop on the next boat to intentionally sail three thousand miles away from the nearest plot hook.
>>
File: You ruined a good thread.gif (379 KB, 245x265) Image search: [Google]
You ruined a good thread.gif
379 KB, 245x265
>>48050975
>He has a consistent issue across his characters where he flees headlong away from adventure.

Fun Advice:
Make EVERYTHING an adventure.

He tries to sell the ticket? People are busting down his door to get that ticket, from crime lords and presidents to the homeless and poor.

He refuses to do the mission? Wacky hijinks ensue. Make it an episode of scooby do.

Ranger won't get off his logs? Forest suffers from an influx of invasive species, namely bed bugs and termites.

my "THAT GM" advice?
Make everything an adventure until he picks one, and rope him the fuck in on it. Once you have him hook line and sinker? Act bored and unhappy about the adventure. Make it drag and refuse to change it because it's the adventure HE chose.
>>
>>48050975
>Have you ever dealt with a similar player who makes you shake your head and ask "why are you even here?"
If you've talked with him about it before, use those exact words.
"if you're going to do everything you can to not play the game, why are you even here?"
>>
Remind him he ain't Rincewind and it's not funny or fun for the rest of the group.
>>
Maybe he's just a huge Joseph Campbell fanboy and he won't go on an epic journey without properly Refusing the Call first. Have you tried raising the stakes or giving him a wizened mentor to get him started?
>>
>>48052813
That's kind of a dickish thing to do to a guy who's main problem is that he runs from plot.

I mean, I can sympathize: if he's got a videogame mindset, when videogames force a plot on you it usually sucks. He might not even think about the fact that he can really do stuff with the plot himself and twist it however he wants.
>>
>>48052948
>if he's got a videogame mindset, when videogames force a plot on you it usually sucks

I disagree with that statement entirely, but I won't arguing vidja on /tg/.

Okay, so here's an alternative to >>48052813 . Go get another player to round out the group. Go get another ranger and while they galavant around having fun have him RP how he is surviving. It could actually be a fun aside, having the main cast make a base and he has to take care of it or something. Just something to break up the shit that is going down. Like in the middle of a long ass combat roll, have him roll perception to find out there's an owl incessantly hooting nearby, and in the morning have him find several dead mouse carcasses about. Meanwhile the main plot proceeds.
>>
>>48053227 see
>why are you even here?
>>
>>48052948
He has been DM of our main campaign these last two years. Guy is a good DM but an awful player sometimes.

>>48051592
There it is!

>>48052813
Not a bad idea but typically this occurs in a one shot and we ain't got time for that sorta shenanigans.
>>
>>48050975
From this point on, if he refuses to play, don't play with him.

He stays in the woods? Let him. The rest of the party goes on the adventure. Just roll a survival roll or the equivalent every in game day and say "uhh you gather enough supplies to survive through the day." And leave it at that.

Then actually give adventure to everyone else because fuck giving that guy the spotlight all the time because he wants to be the centre of attention.
>>
>>48050975

Yep. Kicked his ass out 10 years ago and never regretted it.
>>
>>48050975
Just let him do it then take forever to get round to his side of the game.
Then make his side 5 mins of drudgelike boredom before going back to the main plot
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.