[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 124
File: 1459359051088.png (2 MB, 1401x1800) Image search: [Google]
1459359051088.png
2 MB, 1401x1800
Gold token edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
http://digital-art-gallery.com/
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>47999396
>>
Have you guys come up with some cool meld designs?

I was thinking about a black ooze and a green ooze that meld into what's essentially the Blob from the same-named movie.

What ideas have you had?
>>
How bad an idea is this?
>~'s power and toughness are each equal to your starting life total.
>~ gets -X/-X, where X is your life total.
So, basically a scaling Death's Shadow. Alternatively, losing the first ability and keeping the second, but setting P/T to 20.
>>
>>48040733
Warning, shitty fanfic alert: Nahiri and Thalia meld into a new (non-Eldrazi) Avacyn.
>>
>>48040749
There's nothing technically wrong with that. Like, it works in the rules just fine.

As far as power, it really just depends on how you cost it. It's basically exactly Death's Shadow with +7/+7. With no other abilities, at rare, I'd probably start it at 4BB.
>>
Finished the set, so I'm gonna go ahead and do a full dump. Let me know what you guys think. DFCs are in a separate collage for simplicity's sake.

Starting with the commons.
>>
>>48041394
Now uncommons.
>>
File: 000 Set Rares Complete Rough 1.jpg (4 MB, 3000x3661) Image search: [Google]
000 Set Rares Complete Rough 1.jpg
4 MB, 3000x3661
>>48041415
Rares.
>>
>>48041432
Mythics.
>>
File: 000 Set DFCs Complete Rough 1.jpg (2 MB, 1504x4184) Image search: [Google]
000 Set DFCs Complete Rough 1.jpg
2 MB, 1504x4184
>>48041446
And DFCs. This completes the block. It's been a hell of a process, but I had a lot of fun, and I appreciate all of the help and feedback!
>>
File: Ethereal Evacuation.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ethereal Evacuation.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
A good one?
>>
>>48041446
For obvious reasons I'm not going to do card reviews outside of extreme outliers of power/broken/etc.

>Tribal themes
>Wizard, Soldier, Mercenary, Shaman and... g- griffin?!
weird shit. Five equipments at common is really asking for some janky as fuck limited decks.

CB13 Grasp of the Void is hilariously terrible. I mean yeah it makes sense in the environment but w o w.

>Green mercenaries
having horrible flashbacks of ye olde threads.

Okay now that me being triggered is over with getting into the real thoughts;

Overall the set feels unique in its identity. It has a mechanical sort of clarity to it that I like somewhat.

The mechanics are incredibly low-impact, and some of them are drawback. I wouldn't get much hype for this set, but I would be interested. Of all the sets in the past I would relate this too, I'd actually stick it next to Kamigawa. That is; in-format everything looks fine together. On first glance, however, it's not very exciting mechanically. At the same time, it has the potential to age well. etc. etc.

One thing however that it doesn't nail like Kamigawa did is flavor. Looking over these cards I get a general sense of "Oh look it's a fantasy universe" syndrome. It seems like you focused a lot on mechanics and forgot to really nail some flavor themes that are clear, obvious and most importantly distinct. So that might be somewhere to work on.
>>
>>48041466
oh also could you generate a pack & post it? Or a few packs and stitch 'em together so I can get a sense of how the packs might feel for picks etc. More feedback may come of it.
>>
File: WedgeLegends.png (4 MB, 3750x1046) Image search: [Google]
WedgeLegends.png
4 MB, 3750x1046
>>
File: Urunai Mind Aflame.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Urunai Mind Aflame.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
>>48037088
I agree
>>
>>48043345
Oops, meant to reply to >>48037265
>>
Is
>Whenever you extort, [effect]
possible ?
If yes, then is
>Whenever you extort, you may lose 1 life and draw a card instead
possible too ?

I have in the idea that Extort works the same way as Investigate
>>
>>48043439
For a replacement effect, it would need to be an "If". Personally, I think you'd be better off just not making it an extort card at that point. The "Whenever you extort, [effect]" should work as written.

I think it should work with Extort, rather than replacing it, just factor in Extort among the cost. Something like:

>Whenever you extort, you may pay 3 life. If you do, draw a card.
>>
>>48043936
>Personally, I think you'd be better off just not making it an extort card at that point.
I want it to interact with the actual extort cards in my set

Thanks for the answer
>>
File: Balag the Immense.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Balag the Immense.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Lesser Marshling.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Lesser Marshling.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Rasha Khaun Deathkeeper.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Rasha Khaun Deathkeeper.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Goblin Barrage2.jpg (53 KB, 523x375) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Barrage2.jpg
53 KB, 523x375
Does a card like this seem playable in any format? Or does it seem too underwhelming?
>>
File: Warplated Gargant.jpg (38 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Warplated Gargant.jpg
38 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Vasghyria Queen of Dust.jpg (48 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Vasghyria Queen of Dust.jpg
48 KB, 375x523
How's the power level on this card?
>>
>>48043439
Technically the game doesn't know when you "extort", but it only needs a trivial rules addition. (Abilities like Devour and Evolve have additional rules that define what "this devours" and " this evolves" mean).

I agree that the card draw should be a triggered ability rather than replacement.
>>
>>48042522
Raud is neat.

Dalus is meh, and I'm not entirely sure the "reveal from anywhere" ability works with regard to face-down exiled cards.

Hallos has a lot of its thunder stolen by Odric. The anthem should just be +X/+X since it already has square stats, and most pumps in those colors are square.

Sevros - "You may cast noncreature, nonland cards as though they had flash". Or list out the card types. Spells aren't cards, so when it's on the stack it loses flash and becomes an illegal casting. The only purpose to do it this way is if you have flash tribal for some reason. Other than that, I like the card a lot.

Vairn is simple and effective. Kudos.
>>
>>48045853
>Sevros - "You may cast noncreature, nonland cards as though they had flash". Or list out the card types. Spells aren't cards, so when it's on the stack it loses flash and becomes an illegal casting. The only purpose to do it this way is if you have flash tribal for some reason. Other than that, I like the card a lot.
It's the Teferi, Mage of Zhalfir wording, rather than the usual psuedo-flash granting wording. It works for creature cards, so it should work for any other qualifying group of cards.
>>
File: 3 Packs.jpg (3 MB, 5645x1575) Image search: [Google]
3 Packs.jpg
3 MB, 5645x1575
>>48042291
Sure thing, man. Here you go. And I appreciate your feedback on the set as a whole.
>>
File: Korro.jpg (144 KB, 750x523) Image search: [Google]
Korro.jpg
144 KB, 750x523
Decided to down PWs again. The one on the left is pretty much finalized, the one on the right is much newer. I've been wondering, for the one on the right, if I should shift focus from the Lizards and having big creatures to something else, like summoning lots of smaller tokens, what with her being "tribal" and all.
>>
File: Drawn and Quartered.jpg (64 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Drawn and Quartered.jpg
64 KB, 375x523
An idea came to me. It's retarded, I know, but I still find it funny.
>>
>>48044434
cost too low
>>48044613
blatantly overpowered. seriously, dont go there.
>>48044902
this card is all over the place, either it is insanely good or a dead draw. pretty boring abilities imo but "fine" as is.
>>48044976
you must be joking. the extra 2 damage on battlecry feel pushed and make the powerlevel of this card way too high.
>>48045067
maybe let go of vigilance on this one, it makes the card abusive.
>>48045219
this card is ok, double reanimation is strong since she has no protection or inherent synergy and a high mana cost its fine as is.
>>
File: WedgeLegends.png (4 MB, 3750x1046) Image search: [Google]
WedgeLegends.png
4 MB, 3750x1046
>>48045853
>406.3. Exiled cards are, by default, kept face up and may be examined by any player at any time. Cards "exiled face down" can't be examined by any player except when instructions allow it. A card exiled face down has no characteristics, but the spell or ability that exiled it may allow it to be cast from exile. Unless that card is being cast face down (see rule 707.4), the card is turned face up just before the player announces that he or she is casting the spell (see rule 601.2).

>A card exiled face down has no characteristics

Dalus can't be revealed if it's face down in Exile, because it has no abilities at that time. The wording is "reveal" so it works in your hand, but also so it doesn't have to directly reference the command zone. It's fine if it doesn't work in face down exile, since that's not a huge concern.

I decided to go in a completely different direction for Hallos, since Odric does have that covered pretty well.

Good call on "noncreature, nonland", flashing lands could be dangerous. The wording should be fine as >>48046021 is correct and I lifted it straight from Teferi, but Teferi is really the only card that has it written that way, so I'll change it just to keep with the more common wording.
>>
File: Mindbending Marshal.jpg (36 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Mindbending Marshal.jpg
36 KB, 375x523
It's a shame that I can't think in a nice white card to finish this cycle of Marshals
>>
File: Wisdombending Marshal.jpg (46 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Wisdombending Marshal.jpg
46 KB, 375x523
>>48048315
>>
>>48048267
>flashing lands could be dangerous.
How? Aluren and Dryad Arbor. Nothing breaks.
>>
File: Ragebending Marshal.jpg (55 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ragebending Marshal.jpg
55 KB, 375x523
>>48048332
>>
File: Powerbending Marshal.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Powerbending Marshal.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48048315
>>48048332
>>48048354
>>48048362
Oh my lord. It's
>Whenever another [color] creature, [...]
>>
>>48048572
Sorry, I didn't knew the correct wording. But what about the cards abilities?
>>
>>48048351
It's not a matter of it breaking the rules, but of being potentially too strong. You can only flash four Dryad Arbors, and they have summoning sickness.
>>
>>48048651
How is it too strong though? The only way to really take advantage of it is lands with ETB abilities.
>>
>>48048594
The Black one seems like really poor design, and the Green one isn't even Green. Making creatures hit their controllers is BR. Though the wording is so poor I could be misreading it. Overall, they should all probably be rare, and their abilities should probably be rebalanced. Also, make their abilities all have the same triggers, except for color.
>>
>>48048754
It's essentially surprise mana.
>>
>>48048878
...And?
>Surprise! Bet you didn't expect me to have mana on my turn!
I mean, it's not like you can interact with it at all.
>>
>>48048933
All I said was that it "could" be dangerous. It's something that would need to be hashed out in playtesting.
>>
>>48048852
>The Black one seems like really poor design
Why? Too strong? Too weak? Abusable?

>the Green one isn't even Green. Making creatures hit their controllers is BR. Though the wording is so poor I could be misreading it.

The Green one is suposed to give "super trample" to creatures like Lone Wolk had, but I didn't found a way to give it a modern wording and give it a "combat damage to a player" trigger.

>Overall, they should all probably be rare, and their abilities should probably be rebalanced.

I don't really want to make them rare because they're supposed to be overcosted and be "build around me" uncommons on Limited.
>>
>>48048594
if you want us to take the time to give you feedback, do basic fucking proofreading
>>
>>48049071
Dude, calm down. I just mistaken "other" with "another". No need to be rude.
>>
File: Nam Misted Isle.jpg (36 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Nam Misted Isle.jpg
36 KB, 375x523
posted the wrong one
I'm having trouble making this a flash land for 3 life without it providing ramp or being way too wordy, this is where i'm at, but on the draw its ramp.

I had it skip your NEXT land drop, which would be more functional, but also much more powerful, and it seemed too strong. Especially since this is already pushing it imo
>>
File: Nam Misted Isle.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Nam Misted Isle.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
>>48049137
Since i'm apparently retarded today, compare them if you want.
>>
>>48049150
>manaless blue ramp
WHAT
COULD
POSSIBLY
GO
WRONG
?
>>
>>48049150
If you actually wanted to do something like this, you would probably have to sacrifice a land.
>>
>>48049150
You can play multiples and let the Legend rule take the tapped ones.
>>
>>48049150
>>48049137
This should most likely be Red or Green.
It definitely should not be Blue.
Blue is obviously the color that wants it most, but Blue probably also wants Enchantment removal.
>>
File: Vensers Library.png (249 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Vensers Library.png
249 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48049012
>Black
Weak. Larceny is better and it's overcosted. You could seriously just keep it at its current cost and body and make it
>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
And it would be loads better.

>Green
>"super trample"
>Lone Wolk
I assume you mean "Lone Wolf." In which case, I offer this substitution:
>Whenever another green creature you control attacks, it deals damage equal to its power to defending player.
Though I'm honestly not certain if that's mono-Green or not. But it's essentially super Trample that allows the creatures to retain their normal combat damage.

>I don't really want to make them rare because they're supposed to be overcosted and be "build around me" uncommons on Limited.
This seems like a bad idea. Do you seriously want really good abilities on uncommons? I mean, think about it. How are they going to be "build-around" if they're so common everyone has multiples of them?

>>48049089
Now, I'm obviously not that guy, but he does have a point. Look at cards that have already been made, do some searching. If you can't care enough about your cards to do some basic searching to make sure you have proper wording beforehand, why should any of us care enough to help you develop them?
>>
>>48048267
>>48048351
Regarding allowing to "cast a land card as though it had flash", that does nothing. Playing a land isn't casting a spell, but a special action that has its own timing restriction. You can't cast lands, and you can't cast Dryad Arbor (because its a land, CR 305.9), so granting cards pseudo-flash doesn't do anything.

However, granting a land true Flash DOES let you flash it in (because Flash's CR wording uses PLAY and not CAST). However, you can only flash it on your turn, as you can't ever play a land on your opponent's turn, due to rule 305.3.
>305.3. A player can’t play a land, for any reason, if it isn’t his or her turn. Ignore any part of an effect that instructs a player to do so.
>>
>>48050640
So basically, a land can't have the ability he's looking for on the same card.
>>
>>48050640
I was the guy who mentioned Aluren, and I'm aware of that rule. Which is why I was aguing that allowing lands to be played with Flash wouldn't be that bad.
>>
File: Powerbending Marshal.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Powerbending Marshal.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>48049989
>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
Well, I thought that a "punisher" mechanic would be cool, but maybe the cost was too high for that.

>Whenever another green creature you control attacks, it deals damage equal to its power to defending player.
Eh. I want to maintain the "deals combat damage" trigger. What about this instead?

>This seems like a bad idea. Do you seriously want really good abilities on uncommons? I mean, think about it. How are they going to be "build-around" if they're so common everyone has multiples of them?
I'm talking about "build around me uncommons" like the Paragon cycle from M15. But I think that you're right, those abilities are too good for uncommon.

>Now, I'm obviously not that guy, but he does have a point. Look at cards that have already been made, do some searching. If you can't care enough about your cards to do some basic searching to make sure you have proper wording beforehand, why should any of us care enough to help you develop them?
Look, I've been playing a lot of Yugioh nowadays and they use "other" instead of "another". (eg. Fluffal Sheep, Cyber Dragon Infinity, Fire King Fire Circle, etc.) I DO research before doing any card. I just didn't researched the "another" wording because I was sure that it was "other" for some reason. It is just ONE FUCKING WORD, there's no reason to be rude like he was.
>>
>>48050788
A land can have psuedo-Flash if you allow them to be PLAYED as though they had flash (a la Aluren), and a land can have true Flash, but a land doesn't do anything with "may be CAST as though it had Flash" because you can't cast it in the first place.

But no matter what, playing a land must occur on your own turn, although you could do janky stuff like flashing in a land to get the mana needed for a counterspell when they go to destroy a creature or something.
>>
File: Mindbending Marshal.jpg (35 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Mindbending Marshal.jpg
35 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48050959
Man, this ability is kinda hard to word. Also, is it supposed to apply to any Green creature on the battlefield, or just the ones you control? You're kinda inconsistent about that. Oh yeah, and Greatbow Doyen is precedent. I guess we could try
>Whenever another green creature [add "you control" here if you want] deals combat damage to another creature, that green creature [weird, I know, but easiest way to distinguish the creatures] deals that much damage to that creature's controller.

>>48051010
Ah, see! This one says "you control" so please pick one.

Also, I am kinda surprised that these things aren't color lords that also say
>Other [color] creatures you control get +1/+1.
But it's up to you man.
>>
File: Powerbending Marshal.jpg (53 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Powerbending Marshal.jpg
53 KB, 375x523
>>48051039
>>48051039
Yeah, they will apply to creatures "you control". I forgot about that on Powerbending Marshal.

I didn't knew about the Greatbow Doyen. I'll be using his wording.

Also, I don't think that they need the +1/+1 part since the abilities that they grant are pretty obtuse.
>>
File: Ragebending Marshal.jpg (56 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ragebending Marshal.jpg
56 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Twin Fury.png (250 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Twin Fury.png
250 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Sara Pezzini Witchblade.jpg (55 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Sara Pezzini Witchblade.jpg
55 KB, 375x523
>>48051182
>Whenever another green creature deals you control
I'm sorry, but holy shit this got me laughing. Yeah, just put "deals" after "you control".

>>48051196
OK, yeah, this one's really fucking good. It basically turns all your creatures into repeatable removal. Very good against fragile creatures, especially utility creatures that are making your life difficult. It should at least be changed to
>[...] damage equal to its power to target creature that player controls.
Otherwise it gets out of control in multiplayer. "OK, I'll just charge at the guy with 2 creatures, and when they connect, I'll blow up this other guy's token army."

>>48051263
Cool.
>>
File: Wisdombending Marshal.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Wisdombending Marshal.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>48051307
>I'm sorry, but holy shit this got me laughing. Yeah, just put "deals" after "you control".

Ops. Fix'd.

>[...] damage equal to its power to target creature that player controls.
Fix'd.

Also, last one from the cycle. I'll be doing the white one tomorrow because I still have no idea of what should I make.
>>
File: SetSample.jpg (978 KB, 1500x2092) Image search: [Google]
SetSample.jpg
978 KB, 1500x2092
Well, no rest for the weary and all that. Thoughts on these mechanics and themes? Main theme for this set is mana cost matters; total cost, though, not just converted. So, X spells, mana sinks, stuff that cares about how much mana you spend. I'm also considering a subtheme focus on lands, since they're obviously pretty important in mana generation. Cards are very much in the rough here. All costs subject (and likely) to change.
>>
>>48050997
I know, but what I think he intends is to be able to drop the land any time through its own ability. There are ways of course to have a land enter your side of the field on your opponent's turn, but again, not through its own effect.
>>
>>48051481
You're mixing up two conversations.
>>
>>48051351
The draw bit is fine, but I'm not sure about the Scry part. Avoiding bad draws is really useful. I might just be too conservative here though.

>White
Uh... Yeah, not sure what to do with that. Tap target permanent and it doesn't untap? Flicker? Counters?
>>
>>48051448
Tend doesn't fit as a GU mechanic since U does LITERALLY NOTHING when it comes to interacting with lands. The mechanic's solely Green and if you wanted it to be multi color it'd probably be red
>>
File: Beyond Death.jpg (33 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Beyond Death.jpg
33 KB, 375x523
>>48051507
>The draw bit is fine, but I'm not sure about the Scry part. Avoiding bad draws is really useful. I might just be too conservative here though.

I know that, but I feel like this kind of ability should be fine in a defender creature with a high cost. Also, my set is pretty removal heavy, like RoE.

>Uh... Yeah, not sure what to do with that. Tap target permanent and it doesn't untap? Flicker? Counters?
"Freeze" tap is too blue IMO. Flicker is cool, but I already have 2~3 cards with Flicker in my set. Counters seems too generic, but may be my last resort if I can't think of anything better.
>>
>>48051448
For Deepcavern Swarmcaller, you should specify that it only adds on to Instants and Sorceries, as adding that text to a permanent spell does nothing. It's a valid thing to add text to permanent spells, but most effects don't do anything unless they're worded properly for that type, and its an unintuitive interaction. You did it fine on Soulboon Elder, though.

I like Ritual.

Tend seems fine, as an expanded Bestow of sorts.

Ambush will make combat interesting, to say the least, because of pseudo-flash shenanigans abound.

Veteran Topseeker has no reason not to be an ETB trigger.
>>
>>48051448
>Augment
Meh. It's basically just a trigger to pay some more mana, except it works with copies like with Storm.

>Ritual
I don't even get this one.

>Ambush
So... it just gives things Flash when you pay more for them, except it only works during combat. Not a fan.

>Tend
People didn't like Haunt, they won't like this. Just use Bestow.

>Journey
A self-Boomerang that exiles for absolutely no reason? ...Why?

>Warrens Douser
Not how this works.
>When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay X. If you do, [...]
>>
File: Wake Up.png (242 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Wake Up.png
242 KB, 375x523
weird cards for a weird set. I believe an effect like this already exists in MTG but heyo.
>>
File: Xytht Sparkshifter.jpg (35 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Xytht Sparkshifter.jpg
35 KB, 375x523
posting this guy again in a new thread
>>
>>48052792
This might be actually the most useless thing ever.

>Kills the walker it copies on use.
>It's like any walker, except its mana cost is retarded to get & you can't use its loyalty abilities on the turn it enters the battlefield.
>It's like Karn/Ugin/Bolas except with 3 starting loyalty! Woah!
>>
>>48041394
>>48041415
>>48041432
>>48041446
>>48041466
Congrats Timeanon. Two sets done is pretty impressive. That's a whole block. Were that sets something that more people aspired to anymore, but I honestly can't blame people for wanting to stick to themes or one-offs. Setbuilding is fun and rewarding, but only at the beginning and the end. The middle is work. It's hard. It's frustrating. And it's really miserable to have your stuff get torn apart repeatedly, even if in the end it's worth it because the set is better for it. Kudos, sir.

>>48051448
>right back at it
Literal madman. I remember when I first found out you were ladder guy too. I was like "how many fucking sets are you gonna make?"
>>
>>48052816
>Kills the walker it copies on use.
How?
>>
>>48052840
:|
>>
>>48052851
That's not an answer.
>>
File: duh.png (50 KB, 658x163) Image search: [Google]
duh.png
50 KB, 658x163
>>48052879
>People being dumb
w e w l a d
>>
>>48052792
>its type remains
:^)

seriously though this is still so useless.
>>
>>48052903
It only matters if they're controlled by the same player.

704.5j If a player controls two or more planeswalkers that share a planeswalker type, that player chooses one of them, and the rest are put into their owners’ graveyards. This is called the “planeswalker uniqueness rule.”
>>
File: 1334883853022.jpg (80 KB, 413x395) Image search: [Google]
1334883853022.jpg
80 KB, 413x395
>>48052903
>this fucking guy
>>
File: Gokhin Sand-Knight.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Gokhin Sand-Knight.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
Thoughts?
>>
File: Darkwater Homunculus.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Darkwater Homunculus.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
Pic related is a callback to Darkwater Egg.
>>
>>48052972
>2 mana token generator
Why do you think this is balanced?
>>
File: Kathos Artisan Supreme.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Kathos Artisan Supreme.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
>>48052982
Because I'm not very good at card balance in the slightest.

What about this guy, who I have received significantly more feedback on?
>>
File: Lam Abdias the Gnostic.png (217 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Lam Abdias the Gnostic.png
217 KB, 375x523
we walkerposting now? This guy's got a new version that I like.
>>
>>48052993
>They control to their hand
nope. Permanent they control to its owner's hand. Can't have cards you don't own in your hand. Considering this card switches control also this is a huge deal.
>>
File: Gokhin Sand-Knight.jpg (43 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Gokhin Sand-Knight.jpg
43 KB, 375x523
>>48053080
Totally right, my bad on that one.

Updated Gokhin.
>>
>>48053029
The 2/2 ability should cost more since it's also drawing you a card.
>>
>>48053240
upped it to -2 but moved his starting loyalty to 4. Upped the ult cost by 1 also. Seems good.
>>
File: Moonspell the Peer Pressure.png (240 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Moonspell the Peer Pressure.png
240 KB, 375x523
some possibly retardedly powerful but also possibly balanced idea. Trying to get genuinely unique effects worked out for mythic slot ideas.
>>
File: Hadren Spreader of Plague.png (190 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Hadren Spreader of Plague.png
190 KB, 375x523
Looking at this card again, it should probably be +1 for "Each player loses 1 life" instead.
>>
>>48053312
Sure, seems reasonable. Culling Scales is a 3-drop artifact that does the reverse (lowest CMC), and there's Porphyry Nodes/Drop of Honey as a 1-drop enchantment that does lowest power. Although Nodes/Drop sacs when there are no creatures.

Cost might need adjustment, but its hard to be too broken because its just so sloooow. Sure, its harder to play around because it actually gets rid of more dangerous threats first, but it also dies so easily.
>>
File: Moonspell the Peer Pressure.png (249 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Moonspell the Peer Pressure.png
249 KB, 375x523
>>48053405
I fiddled with it a bit. First, I think these colors feel waaaay better for the effect. I also moved it to act faster & be easier to remove. I like this version much better.
>>
>>48052920
So, it's only useful if your opponent happens to have a good Planeswalker.

That sounds very reliable, yeah.
>>
>>48053430
Feels like it should cost at least 1 more.

The strong to weak effect makes it very strong, maybe even broken because at the very least (since it triggers at the end of turn), it's likely to exile your opponent's creature(s) with an untargeted effect.
>>
File: Leafstorm.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Leafstorm.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Eternal Fall.jpg (43 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Eternal Fall.jpg
43 KB, 375x523
>>48051518
Tend is not limited to lands.
>>48051596
>Swarmcaller
Thanks, anon, I'll get it sorted out.
>Topseeker
My plan is for stuff to care about how much mana you spend when you cast spells. "Whenever you spend X or more" or "whenever you spend X or less," that sort of thing. So in line with that, I'm trying out some on-cast triggers. It might change to ETB triggers if I don't like how it's working out.
>>48051682
>It's basically just a trigger to pay some more mana
Yup, exactly. But I want the environment to care about when you pay more mana without forcing you to load up solely on big spells.
>Ritual
What don't you get? Maybe I can clear something up.
>Ambush
Ambush lets you cast it for more, which is important with the cost-matters stuff.
>Journey
It gets things back into your hand to cast again. I'm thinking that giving the player the ability to essentially recast spells will help smooth out limited, since I'm putting such an emphasis on it.
>Douser
If I made the X an etb trigger, it wouldn't work with stuff the cost-matters stuff.
>>48052819
Thanks, man! I really appreciate that. And I'm pretty happy to step away from those sets for a bit. I know now why they got rid of three-set blocks; there's no way in hell I could make another 200 cards with the same themes and mechanics. But, it was a blast, and I'm pretty happy with the end result, even if it will need some tweaking.
>how many fucking sets are you gonna make?
I don't know! Hah. I guess I'll keep going until I get bored, or too busy, or I run out of ideas.
>>
>>48053976
You can use it on your own walkers. It keeps its planeswalker type.
>>
>>48056151
>Ritual
I mean, is it literally just a one-time use tap effect that only works when it ETB? I mean...on Vesuva it made sense, but on things with mana costs, I just want to go "Why not just have the effect trigger on ETB no matter what?"

>Ambush
I still don't like it, and the cost-matters thing, now that I'm looking at it, doesn't seem like the best idea either. It will never trigger off cheating costs and you can't use it to combo with permanents you already have on the battlefield.

>Journey
Why does it exile?

>Douser
Then make it a cast trigger.
>>
>>48047141
>"Then, if that Human was a wizard, its controller win the game"
>>
>>48056106
Pretty nice. Could maybe cost 3GG just to be on the safe side
>>
>>48056738
>Why not just have the effect trigger on ETB no matter what?
ETB abilities are just straight bonuses. This creates decision making, which is fun.
>It will never trigger off of cheating costs
By design. If you manage to cheat something big out, you shouldn't get additional bonuses for doing so, the big thing is reward enough.
>Can't use it to combo with permanents you have on the battlefield
I'm planning on making permanents that do things when you cast spells above or below certain costs, in a similar vein as my Glowcavern Climber above.
>Why does it exile?
Simply using it as a holding zone. I didn't want the card to be returned to hand immediately. It also lends itself to the flavor of that particular faction.
>Douser
I definitely could. Like I said, these cards are mostly rough, conceptual, and subject to significant change. I mostly just wanted to communicate and get feedback on my ideas, before delving further into this new set.
>>
File: Shadowy Connections.jpg (29 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Shadowy Connections.jpg
29 KB, 375x523
>>
File: FurnaceStrider.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
FurnaceStrider.png
1 MB, 750x1046
I like this interaction.
>>
>>48057198
This sucks
>>
File: Shido Bringer of Pain.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Shido Bringer of Pain.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Relic Hunter.jpg (45 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Relic Hunter.jpg
45 KB, 375x523
I'm back.
>>
File: Gyomohes Elite Force.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Gyomohes Elite Force.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Revengeful Banshee.jpg (46 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Revengeful Banshee.jpg
46 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48057543
Haste feels a bit out of place, but I guess green does get it from time to time. Pretty neat card otherwise
>>
>>48057584
It kinda fits the flavor IMO. He's not a sneaky robber, he just runs and steals whatever he wants.
>>
File: Keiko Spirit Breaker.jpg (51 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Keiko Spirit Breaker.jpg
51 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Maiden of the lost path.jpg (49 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Maiden of the lost path.jpg
49 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Envoy of Despair.jpg (37 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Envoy of Despair.jpg
37 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48057489
I don't think it should cause a player to lose twice that much life. Actually, with the double damage clause, I think it should just prevent players from gaining life.

>>48057543
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may gain control of target noncreature artifact that player controls for as long as you control ~.

>>48057557
Activated ability feels really strange. Also, you shouldn't capitalize "vigilance" here, because it's not the first word in a sentence.

>>48057570
"Revengeful"? Seriously?

>>48057656
Next time, could you just stitch a bunch of cards together in PhotoJoiner, and just post the whole thing at once?
>>
File: Warden of the Crypt.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Warden of the Crypt.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>48057699
>Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, you may gain control of target noncreature artifact that player controls for as long as you control ~
Fix'd.

>Activated ability feels really strange. Also, you shouldn't capitalize "vigilance" here, because it's not the first word in a sentence.
The BW "guild" is a xenofobic as fuck city in my set. It is there mostly for flavor.

>"Revengeful"? Seriously?
I couldn't think of anything better...

>Next time, could you just stitch a bunch of cards together in PhotoJoiner, and just post the whole thing at once?
What the fuck are you talking about? I did that card based on the flavor of my set where the Monks (RW "guild") will be in a war against some non-Humans, mostly Horrors and Spirits. This set is heavily inspired by (old) Innistrad and Theros of course since is centered on Humans and pairs of colors.
>>
File: Fearless Duelist.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Fearless Duelist.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Pain Elemental.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Pain Elemental.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Gyomohes Enforcer.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Gyomohes Enforcer.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
The BW mechanic
>>
File: Fate Shift.jpg (37 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Fate Shift.jpg
37 KB, 375x523
Last one before I go.

The UR mechanic.
>>
>>48057787
Next time you post cards, just post them as a single image. Like what Time anon did here
>>48041394
>>48041415
>>48041432
>>48041446
>>48041466
>>
>>48057956
I know. It's just that my set is not even that organized yet. I'm still deciding mechanics and even some things about the flavor.
>>
>>48057787
>I couldn't think of anything better...

Vengeful.
>>
File: tamiyofieldresearcher.jpg (44 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
tamiyofieldresearcher.jpg
44 KB, 265x370
Well, shit. Look's like we'll be seeing plenty of Jace's mono-Blue ass for quite some time. I do like this card, but I do question why White is included.
>>
>>48058454

Tapping dudes is pretty white as well as blue. It's not really out of place so much as 'Would have been equally fine without it'.
>>
>>48058454
I see some acceptable reasons
>Tapping
>Combat ability
>Clues
>Tamiyo
>>
>>48058454
If anything, Green is the mystery color here.
>>
>>48058454
>>48058475
>>48058546
>>48058570
+1: G/U
-2: W/U
-7: U
>>
File: treeofperdition.jpg (29 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
treeofperdition.jpg
29 KB, 265x370
>>48058454
out of the entire set spoilers so far, the only card I'm even remotely excited for is Tree of Perdition.

Lookin' forward to this being one of my least favorite sets in a long time. Well, since Dragons at least...
>>
>>48058806
Meld is beyond retarded. I hope we never see it again
>>
>>48058821
>Meld is beyond retarded.
It is actually, like, some sort of next level of terrible MTG ideas. We're actually approaching Yugioh territory. It's scary.
>>
File: OMAC Unit.jpg (57 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
OMAC Unit.jpg
57 KB, 375x523
>>48058821
>>48058857
I dunno, it's kinda... I don't wanna say "growing on me" for obvious reasons, but I am warming up to it.

>>48058806
I love Docent of Perfection and that card's whole vertical cycle. I don't even care how well it plays, and it does look strong, I just love the flavor.

Ulrich was a major disappointment.

Identity Thief looks fun, as well as Haunted Dead, or whatever the 2/2 Zombie is that makes a 1/1 Spirit token and has recursion.

I'm really curious to see how Eternal Scourge fairs due to its exile-recursion ability.

Graft Stapler and Soul Separator both look cool. The former seems pretty well-balanced for what it does, and the latter opens a bunch of new possibilities. For those who think it's just weird, think about cards with useful tap abilities and big bodies. Like Visara. Before you had to choose between swinging for 5 or destroying a creature. Now you can do both.

Other than that, I'm curious to see how the Emerge cards do, as well as Lupine Prototype. I feel like they'll either be something that dominates the Top 8, or just something that looks cool on paper but isn't very competitive.
>>
File: Sam Regal Guitarist.jpg (40 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Sam Regal Guitarist.jpg
40 KB, 375x523
What does /tg/ think of my chill guitarist planeswalker?
>>
>>48057348
That is really cool.
>>
>>48060615
Pretty boring with no ult. Definitely doesn't feel mythic.
>>
File: Salvage Seedling.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Salvage Seedling.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
I want to make an ability to get mana by exiling a card from your graveyard. How would I go about doing that succinctly and efficiently, without overenabling dredge strategies? What I've come up with so far is a cost-mana balance that nets one mana, like this, but it feels clunky. Suggestions?
>>
File: Molkrum Lich Lord.jpg (48 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Molkrum Lich Lord.jpg
48 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Celestial Ancestor.png (930 KB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Celestial Ancestor.png
930 KB, 750x1046
Is this fine at rare?
>>
File: 1.jpg (57 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
57 KB, 312x445
>>48062687
That art sounds like a quote, it should have quotation marks. And a quote source if it's supposed to be said by someone other than the person on the card.
>>
>>48062982
>That art
Yes, that's what I meant. Not the flavor text or anything.

Gah.
>>
>>48063001
>>48062982
I guess I could add quotation marks.

Anyway, any advice regarding the actual design?
>>
>>48062687
It shouldn't trigger on your first draw step draw, otherwise it's effectively an upkeep trigger. Forcing you to build around it would also let you push the stats a bit more.
>>
>>48063131
Well the intention was to also be able to get it back should you draw a card later during your turn or during another player's turn so it's not really like an upkeep trigger.
>>
File: Wild Stallion.png (269 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Wild Stallion.png
269 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48062687
Probably.
>>
File: 152.jpg (76 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
76 KB, 312x445
>>48063265
>~ attacks each turn if able unless you control another creature with power 4 or greater.
>>
File: Feral Whisperer.png (289 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Feral Whisperer.png
289 KB, 375x523
>>48063460
thanks
>>
File: Braid of Petals.png (229 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Braid of Petals.png
229 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48062154
Doesn't seem like a mechanic with a lot of space. Someone is always going to find a way to break "free" mana. They are all going to have to be expensive (and thus available too late), since the cheapest one lets you chain into the rest.
>>
File: Devilish Provocations.jpg (47 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Devilish Provocations.jpg
47 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Ancient Castle.jpg (39 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Ancient Castle.jpg
39 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Death by Death.jpg (36 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Death by Death.jpg
36 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Red Augment Crystal.jpg (38 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Red Augment Crystal.jpg
38 KB, 375x523
I'm having a lot of trouble getting M15 and flip cards to install on MSE. Has anybody else here had any problems with it?
>>
File: Lute Guardian of the Forest.jpg (43 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Lute Guardian of the Forest.jpg
43 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Esper Rebel.jpg (38 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Esper Rebel.jpg
38 KB, 375x523
>>
File: 546456.jpg (1 MB, 1512x1054) Image search: [Google]
546456.jpg
1 MB, 1512x1054
Which one would you prefer to play with?
>>
>>48066865
Right one is way better.
>>
>>48066865
Left. I would never want to miss a draw just to get back a 2/2 even if it has flying and lifelink. Not worth it.
>>
>>48066808
>not a rebel
>>
>>48067156
Fair point. I'll change it
>>
File: Specter Advocate.png (234 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Specter Advocate.png
234 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Vanquish All Hopes.jpg (37 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Vanquish All Hopes.jpg
37 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Rivals Feud.jpg (53 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Rivals Feud.jpg
53 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48067096
>I would never want to miss a draw just to get back a 2/2 even if it has flying and lifelink.
wot. You're kidding right? The one on the right is potentially playable in vintage. The one on the left, in comparison, is complete trash.
>>
>>48062154
The issue here is that you get to do it from the yard, so it's always going to play into dredge strategies until you cost it so high it becomes unplayable. The way I tried to do it a while back was to make it so the creature adds mana to your pool when it dies, and it only lasts for that turn, but doesn't drain until EOT. That way you have to use it right then at least, and can't just go full crazy and ramp like 8 cards out of your yard to make 8 mana once you have the 4-5 to invest in the first Salvage card.
>>
>>48067368
I would run this, fun for politics.
>>
>>48066266
no
>>
>>48066507
Oh hey, I did something like this too in my savage set. I really like the design space, honestly. I think it's "As long as ~ is untapped, equipped creature gets +2/+1."
>>
>>48070773
Nice! Any way I can look at your set?

Did you happen to use equipment cycling in your set?
I'm thinking of using equipment cycling in my own custom set. If I do, I want to extend the utility of the mechanic with a cycle of mana rock equipments.
>>
File: Sodality.png (268 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Sodality.png
268 KB, 375x523
>>
File: tap equipment.jpg (476 KB, 1500x1046) Image search: [Google]
tap equipment.jpg
476 KB, 1500x1046
>>48070892
I only experimented with the concept, so only two cards came out of it, but here's what I did. I was planning on making the second set in the block feature more of them if they were successful and people liked the idea.
>>
File: Exalted Heaven.png (835 KB, 744x1039) Image search: [Google]
Exalted Heaven.png
835 KB, 744x1039
Trying to figure out how to script blending for the enchantment creature effect. Other than that, I just need new pt boxes and I should be able to release the first version of m15 high res
>>
>>48071856
lookin' good
>>
>>48071856
Actually, now that I think about it, I'll just split the template into 2 templates. 1 will be the default, the other will be "enchantment m15" which will have the enchantment effect. That's the simpliest solution.
>>
File: Rare Beetle.jpg (50 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Rare Beetle.jpg
50 KB, 375x523
>>48071712
Neat!
>>
>>48072077
>comes into play
"enters the battlefield"
>test 5
Hm. Is this supposed to be a green thing? Five color? Who/what gets this mechanic? Hard to rate it without knowing more about it.
>>
File: Earth Bond.png (244 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Earth Bond.png
244 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Exam.jpg (34 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Exam.jpg
34 KB, 375x523
>>48072102
Thanks. I'm still accustomed to the older wording since I haven't played in a while.

Test is a five color mechanic.
>>
>>48072108
This is pretty neat, man. I like it. Good use of alternate costs/Awaken. Has a clean theme to it.
>>
>>48072124
No worries. I'm not too sure about Test as a mechanic, though interestingly enough that "cost matters" set timeanon was planning might like something like it. I guess it depends on what it's being packaged with. What other mechanics are you looking to use? I saw the tap equipment, and you mentioned equipmentcycling, but what else? What's the set's theme? Got any other important details?
>>
File: Psychic Burn.jpg (55 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Psychic Burn.jpg
55 KB, 375x523
>>48072146
The set is library themed.
New keyworded mechanics include test, equipment cycling, and creature-type cycling.

The set rewards mill with abilities that trigger when opponents put certain cards from their library into their graveyard. The set also shifts mill into red's part of the color pie with cards like pic related.

Scry is gonna be in there too. That's evergreen anyway, but it will matter a bit more than usual.
>>
>>48072077
I think Test would be better if it always checked a specific number, rather than variable.
>>
>>48072233
>red getting mill
Hm. I dunno about this. It gets the impulse draw effect, which is self mill, sort of, and I could see it self-milling to do other things, but using it offensively isn't very red, because red doesn't typically attack the mind. That's UB territory. Now, if there were a Grixis faction, I could see it bled into red somewhat if certain conditions were met, but I dunno about it in monored.
>rewards certain cards going to the graveyard from opponents' libraries
How so? Based on CMC? I would assume so, looking at Test.

I guess I'll have to see more to really formulate an opinion on everything, but I have to say I'm leery of certain design choices already. If you make a library theme work though, it might be pretty cool.
>>
>>48072259
This might be some good advice. From what I recall the magic curve number is 3, so... maybe CMC4 would be a good target? A lot of your more powerful stuff in Limited starts at CMC4, so it could be a good target number.
>>
File: Crashing Craggadon.jpg (46 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Crashing Craggadon.jpg
46 KB, 375x523
>>48072259
Gotta conserve brain space, yeah.
I was thinking of keeping it at 5 most of the time, and only varying it occasionally for cards like Exam where multiple tests are involved.

Also, with all these cards that care about CMC 5, I'm going to need a lot of CMC 5 cards in the set. That means the set will either need a lot of ramp or some ways to cut costs.
>>
>>48072326
This mechanic seems familiar. Maybe it's just the name?
>>
File: Otivs Demon.jpg (46 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Otivs Demon.jpg
46 KB, 375x523
>>48072289
>>48072326

Hmmm... CMC 4 matters would probably be a lot more reasonable than 5. I'll try that.

>>48072276
I'm mostly making mill red for the random component of it. And always attached to a burn spell or to an attacking creature.

I'm still working on the mill trigger for creatures. I'm brainstorming, you see.
>>
>>48066113
>only matters if the creature has haste
It should probably give haste to all creatures as well and just cost an extra mana or 2. (If it was your intention for it only work with haste then it is too narrow in any case.)
>>48066266
Doesn't even work under the rules: see mana screw for proper wording. Also stupid in general.
>>
File: Otivs Symphony.jpg (31 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Otivs Symphony.jpg
31 KB, 375x523
>>48072336
I dunno. Checked Gatherer. Only two cards with crescendo in the name, and no keyword mechanics with that name.
>>
File: Prince of Chains.png (245 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Prince of Chains.png
245 KB, 375x523
>>
File: Supply Cache.jpg (81 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Supply Cache.jpg
81 KB, 752x523
I decided to make an uncommon DFC cycle just for fun, to see what I could do with interesting flip mechanics.

This one wound up being a meh Trading Post clone with some nice flavor, in my opinion. When do you give up utility for power? If you intend to use both sides at all, that is.
>>
>>48072395
Oh no, I meant as a custom keyword. Like, I think someone in these threads a while back did something similar to your Cresendo. Card seems fine, I think. It could be cheaper but cost-reducing effects usually make the base card more expensive. And it plays into your CMC-matters theme better as well.

>>48072363
I think what the other anon meant about test was to set a hard CMC for it. Yeah, it ruins cards like Exam (only kinda though; you could have it test multiple times interspersed with the draws maybe) so this would just call for a test, not test 4. It comes off as a bit cleaner that way, I think. The draw on this demon, even though it can cause life loss, is still WAY too good. It's Bob on a 4/4 flying beater for 4, basically. Only you might not lose the life, which is even better.
>>
File: Brave Conscript.jpg (61 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Brave Conscript.jpg
61 KB, 752x523
Here's the other one I like for flavor, it fits in pretty well with the artifact above. Also, the template doesn't recognize ellipsis well, I know that's probably wrong.

These are probably a little too powerful or easy to break or unbalanced, but these won't be going into a set, so it's a little hard to judge. Feel free to use/alter/toy with these ideas if you like 'em.
>>
File: Dreamscape.jpg (72 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Dreamscape.jpg
72 KB, 752x523
Here's one that had no room for kick-ass flavor and wound up being a bit like Startled Awake. Not nearly as troublesome as Red was, but not really that proud of this for entirely different reasons. I think that maybe it's a bit of a clusterfuck- it can't decide if it wants to group hug, control, or aggro/damage...
>>
>>48072435
I'd like this better if you had to "root" though the cache to get the saber, then you could really push the flip side's stats. You could do it like Figure of Destiny, where each "stage" of mana spent nets you something minor, then you get the reward of the saber. Could maybe do it with charge counters, and phrase it like Demonic Pact, where when you remove a charge counter, you pick a mode that hasn't been chosen, then when there are no more charge counters, transform it? I dunno.
>>
File: Arteria Drinker.jpg (84 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Arteria Drinker.jpg
84 KB, 752x523
I know someone'll probably bitch at me over image count, but I'm far too tired to stitch these together at the moment and there's only six. It'd be more defensible if it was, like, four, but it's 5am, so forgive me. Or don't.

Either way, here's the Black DFC. Everyone loses life all the time, especially you, then you get a big horror out of it. Balancing this for uncommon was a nightmare and I think I gave up halfway, so it's too good or too bad. Probably.
>>
File: Draconic Roar.jpg (97 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Draconic Roar.jpg
97 KB, 752x523
Look, we're already done with these silly, silly things. I'm kinda proud of this one too, but it's probably bad. Bad as in "broken", probably.

In most cases, it prevents a specific creature from blocking for R, and then later in the game you can do that and also get a nice enough dragon out of it. However, the other side hints at what you're actually supposed to be doing- exiling cards off the top of your deck Red-style to dig for dragons. It's kind of like a sidegrade to Cascade without it, maybe even a little bit of an upgrade. This is one that I'd totally do stuff with if I were to ever make a set, but that's pretty unlikely, I almost never follow through with balance.
>>
>>48072471
I'd like it more if it had Lifelink on the transformed side. You should be forced to attack with it, to stay alive, but as is, you can just sit on it which feels anticlimactic.
>>
File: Musing Winds.jpg (99 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Musing Winds.jpg
99 KB, 752x523
>>48072461
That would be even more flavorful and awesome. The only problem is how much space "T, remove a something counter" and "When ~ has no something counters, transform it" takes up. I could probably drop one of the modes though, I kinda stretched to get them in the first place.

All right, last DFC. You'll never guess what color this one is. I'll give you a hint, it's the color of angry 2/2 forests.

It's Green, the DFC I'm super conflicted over. The first side is based entirely off of getting something good from others doing things they "shouldn't" be doing- playing too many spells a turn or playing them on yours. If this feels "not green", I point you to that new werewolf and also that one card that gets +1/+1 counters whenever anyone casts a spell- super-Prowess anyone?

It transforms into a massive swinging elemental-ball, trying to brute-force into more card draw or just openly win the game at 7 mana. I could probably cast that even higher, reading back through it it feels like a lot.

Anyway, I'm going to go to bed before I get any more rediculous ideas. I'll read any responses you guys are nice enough to send my way when I wake up.
>>
>>48072516
Yeah, I debated giving it lifelink, but at the time I'd already placed the other effect on it. It'd be better all around if it had Lifelink and a combat damage to player trigger, maybe.
>>
>>48072529
Yeah, I'd like it quite a bit more personally, but that's just me. These are all interesting though, anon.
>>
>>48072490
You can constantly recur this, as when the dragon dies, it goes into the graveyard as Draconic Roar, which you can then flashback again.
>>
File: BreakingGround.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
BreakingGround.png
1 MB, 750x1046
>>
Okay, so I have a question for /ccg/.

I am looking at using the Rebel subtype for a set I am laying out. Now, I don't want to use the Rebel mechanic though; I want to do something different with it. How opposed would people be to something like that? I just don't like the idea of all that tutoring, and would rather do something different/more simple/streamlined. I have a few ideas but I was curious what appropriating the creature type might make people think of the set. I mean it's gonna be a tough sell if folks generally hate the notion of Rebels being used in a way they don't approve of, and it'll be mighty difficult to get feedback when there's already bias against what you're doing.
>>
>>48072435
I agree that it should be more like Trading Post where you have to work your way down the abilities before you get the Equipment.

>>48072450
You don't need to exile and can just return it to the battlefield transformed. There should be more similarities between both sides. Accursed Witch executed the idea better.

>>48072458
It is indeed trying to do too much.

>>48072471
"At the beginning of each upkeep..."
>>
>>48072613
Why not just use a different (or new) creature type?

Of course all Rebels don't have the search ability, but they are an established creature type that you may as well follow what has already been designed.
>>
>>48067435
Extinguish all Hope is already a card. Name's pretty similar, I would change it.

>>48068683
The way this is written now the planeswalkers will deal damage equal to however many loyalty counters are left after the creature deals damage.
>>
File: Salvage Seedling.jpg (44 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Salvage Seedling.jpg
44 KB, 375x523
>>48069709
I really like that idea. Here's what I came up with. Thoughts?
>>
>>48072613
I would give you feedback on principle. I did the same thing with mercenaries.
>>
>>48072900
Really? I'll have to check pseudo-Fight mechanics to make sure. Though it wouldn't be hard to change at all.
>>
>>48072388
I just wanted a fun land for my chance encounter EDH...
>>
Can anyone answer a weird rules question for me? Say you have two different creatures, each with one of these abilities:

>~'s power is equal to the total power of all other creatures you control.

>~'s power is equal to the highest power among other creatures you control.

If both of these guys were on the field along with a few other creatures, how would their abilities interact?
>>
File: Scott Summers Cyclops3.jpg (52 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Scott Summers Cyclops3.jpg
52 KB, 375x523
Optic blast!

>>48074962
No idea, which is why Wizards doesn't do these effects. Worse cast scenario? They bounce off each other indefinitely, forcing the game into a draw.
>>
>>48074962
Yes there is a reason for these effects not being produced. You would have two infinite-power creatures is the answer if they "went off"

>forcing the game into a draw.
where the hell did you get that idea?
>>
>>48075042
>>48075013
er it didn't quote oops
>>
>>48053117
First ability should say "up to one target creature" so that you can + loyalty even if you don't have a target. See Arlinn Korn for the most recent example.

Third ability should be "Up to X target token creatures...".

Also, granting hexproof at sorcery speed doesn't do a ton; if they have instant speed removal, they'll just cast it in response to this. Maybe if you did "until your next turn", like some of the buffing PWs do, then it would prevent sorcery speed targetted removal, at least. Or replace hexproof with something else.
>>
>>48075042
>where the hell did you get that idea?
The 3 O-Rings interaction mostly.
>104.4b If a game that’s not using the limited range of influence option (including a two-player game) somehow enters a “loop” of mandatory actions, repeating a sequence of events with no way to stop, the game is a draw. Loops that contain an optional action don’t result in a draw.
>>
>>48075253
It's an odd circumstance because this isn't a trigger or even a replacement effect. It isn't a repeating set of events, but rather just a numerical reference thing goin' on. A weird situation for sure. 100% why effects like these are not printed.
>>
>>48075013
>>48075042
That's exactly what I was worried about. Thanks, guys.
>>
>>48075289
I suggest using counters, like Zegana.
>>
Planar devestation
XCCC
Sorcery
Devoid.
Each player exiles X lands that they control. ~ deals X damage to each creature. If a creature dealt damage this way would die this turn, exile it.
>>
File: yodBMSfl.jpg (63 KB, 483x640) Image search: [Google]
yodBMSfl.jpg
63 KB, 483x640
What would you like to see in an instant or sorcery matters block/red-blue bleed over block?
>>
File: FYGJChH.jpg (703 KB, 1200x1634) Image search: [Google]
FYGJChH.jpg
703 KB, 1200x1634
>>48075370
And which would instant/sorcery mechanic (flashback and etc) would you like to see return?
>>
>>48075370
>>48075401
Spell mastery. But how would you bleed this UR focus onto other colors? New Pyrexia was easy because you just gad to add life loss/pay.
>>
>>48074962
>>48075042
>>48075253
It's a Dependency Issue.

>613.7a An effect is said to “depend on” another if (a) it’s applied in the same layer (and, if applicable, sublayer) as the other effect (see rules 613.1 and 613.3); (b) applying the other would change the text or the existence of the first effect, what it applies to, or what it does to any of the things it applies to; and (c) neither effect is from a characteristic-defining ability or both effects are from characteristic-defining abilities. Otherwise, the effect is considered to be independent of the other effect.

>613.7b An effect dependent on one or more other effects waits to apply until just after all of those effects have been applied. If multiple dependent effects would apply simultaneously in this way, they’re applied in timestamp order relative to each other. If several dependent effects form a dependency loop, then this rule is ignored and the effects in the dependency loop are applied in timestamp order.

Since they'd form a loop, it would just be a timestamp thing.
>>
>>48075563
>timestamp
of course. Timestamps fix everything.
>>
>>48075354
>CCC
>Devoid.
No need for devoid when there's no colours on the cards
>>
>>48075470
Would spell mastery work on creatures?
>>
>>48051998
That's mythic.
>>
File: SpectralMinotaur.jpg (132 KB, 750x523) Image search: [Google]
SpectralMinotaur.jpg
132 KB, 750x523
Which do you like more ?
Which is easier to broke ?
Which is stronger ?
>>
>>48075805
Why wouldn't it? It just checks for a condition.
>>
>>48075805
Why not? Just tie it to an ETB trigger or something.
>>
File: Emeras Sanctuary.jpg (90 KB, 752x523) Image search: [Google]
Emeras Sanctuary.jpg
90 KB, 752x523
I dont know why I made this but here it is nonetheless.
>>
File: smoke-vapor_645x400.jpg (42 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
smoke-vapor_645x400.jpg
42 KB, 375x523
>>
>>48076429
It needs to exile then return transformed like the other origin walkers. Otherwise it doesn't get loyalty counters and is put into the graveyard. Alternatively, have him start as the pw side that minuses to transform into enchantment. That emblem is busted and no fun. Also doesn't work because it has to be a replacement effect unless your intent is that you're just spinning your wheels.

Enchantment side is really good and doesn't need the hexproof part with everything else going on.
>>
>>48076555
Thx, ill fix it. Also nice trips
>>
>>48076455
Should just be an aura.

>>48075941
left is more interesting. You don't need to specify colorless.

>>48075401
Spell mastery is easy mode. Flashback is comparitively well explored. Evoke still has a lot of design space.

>>48075013
6 mana just to ping is a heck of a lot.
>>
>>48076667
>6 mana just to ping is a heck of a lot.
Any ideas? Ability to add charge counters?
>>
File: Final Experiment3.png (1 MB, 750x1046) Image search: [Google]
Final Experiment3.png
1 MB, 750x1046
My favorite Simic mythic.
>>
File: Prez Rickard of the USA.jpg (41 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
Prez Rickard of the USA.jpg
41 KB, 375x523
>>48076719
Yeah, definitely deserves to be mythic. If anything, the cost might go up. But I don't know off the top of my head of comparable cards and I'm in too much of a hurry to look them up right now, sorry.
>>
>>48076667
>Should just be an aura.
Well pongify and rapid isn't, so i dont see why this should be.
>>
>>48072408
>White Demon
This is a troll, right?
>>
>>48076794
Should've added
>inb4 Angels can be Black.
>>
File: DivineAbyssal_Stitch.jpg (242 KB, 1500x523) Image search: [Google]
DivineAbyssal_Stitch.jpg
242 KB, 1500x523
Here are few test cards for a mechanic I've been thinking about. Figure Divine would be Primary W, Secondary G. Abyssal, Primary B, Secondary R. Idk yet if Blue will have both, neither, or something else entirely. (Return to Arcane, anyone?)
>>
>>48077055
just bring back Tribal.
>>
>>48077073
I don't like the flavor of that as much. Plus, I wasn't going to give every Divine/Abyssal spell a bonus from angels/demons.
>>
>>48077055
Hellfire Grasp is kinda bad. It's a strictly worse Murder and a much worse Flame Slash rolled into one spell.

It's worse than Terminate and that costs 1 less and doesn't have any conditions.
>>
>>48077055
Abyssal isn't a spell type for the last card.

I get what you're trying to do but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 124

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.