[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Non-traditional ways to play a paladin
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9
File: 44d4626f90804f56d3aaba856de9e990.jpg (530 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
44d4626f90804f56d3aaba856de9e990.jpg
530 KB, 1920x1440
So what are some ways that a paladin can be played other than the normal servant of light?
>>
>>48035263
>A Servant of Light
Well, I suppose you'd need to define that one first.
>>
>>48035263
>Jerk Paladin
Good doesn't have to be nice. Not antagonistic to anyone, but blunt, sarcastic, maybe kind of passive-aggressive. Does the right thing and upholds the law, but nobody really likes them.

>Paladin of Friendship
Places insane value on friendship and camaraderie, devoting their time to winning over the rest of the party and as many villains as possible.

>Power Ranger Paladin
Cheesy 90's PSA incarnate. Befriends children easily, warns them not to litter, do drugs, or drop out of school. Fond of goofy poses and catchphrases.
>>
>>48035263
I could see a druid paladin who served a nature god being fun. Would need to flesh it out.
>>
File: JudgeDredd_splas-bg-3.jpg (694 KB, 2600x1905) Image search: [Google]
JudgeDredd_splas-bg-3.jpg
694 KB, 2600x1905
>>48035263
why as a servant of the law of course
>>
>>48035724
>Power Ranger PSA Paladin
Shit, that's good. Gotta multiclass a little into Monk and grab dat unarmed damage.
>>
>>48035263
one who really likes the fighting evil part of the job.
he gets to fight really strong people all he wants and no one bitches because that guy was a dick and needed to be killed, it's a win-win
>>
File: scarlet crusader.jpg (111 KB, 500x408) Image search: [Google]
scarlet crusader.jpg
111 KB, 500x408
Purge all those who do not convert.

Fuck good
Fuck evil

The only truth is the paladin's faith and the searing wrath of their god.

Everything that does not serve is an abomination, and must either convert or die by flame and steel. Good ol' fanatical blade-wielding zealots
>>
>>48036621
That seems pretty normal paladin wise.
>>
File: chandra naalar.jpg (123 KB, 736x1318) Image search: [Google]
chandra naalar.jpg
123 KB, 736x1318
>>48036656
Well, sure, but I like my paladins to NOT want to be an instrument of justice and help random passersby and shit.

I'm talking about playing on more along the lines of a 40k Inquisitor.

Less white knight, more BURNMAIMKILL, having gone mad from their faith and divine gifts.
>>
>>48036702
So you play paladins In the most dullard and pathetic way possible.
>>
File: mannis.jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
mannis.jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
>>48035724
>>Jerk Paladin
>Good doesn't have to be nice. Not antagonistic to anyone, but blunt, sarcastic, maybe kind of passive-aggressive. Does the right thing and upholds the law, but nobody really likes them

So a Stannis-din?
>>
>>48036736
implying there's an interesting way to play the most boring and cliche class in RPGs
>>
>>48035263
Paladin as private detective. Uses his powers to investigate crimes rather than smiting devils.
>>
File: download.jpg (8 KB, 254x199) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8 KB, 254x199
>>48035263
A proper gentleman knight with a strong sense of justice, who hides it under a layer of grit, who does all his good deeds to atone for his own sins
>>
File: Jeremy_Saliba_aiel_take_2.jpg (148 KB, 1038x1066) Image search: [Google]
Jeremy_Saliba_aiel_take_2.jpg
148 KB, 1038x1066
>>48035263
Ji'e'toh
>>
>>48035263

I'm playing a paladin of Economics at the moment.
Very Orzhov inspired he upholds the tenets of good business and contract law.

Oaths are legally binding, and he possesses the power of a celestial notary, to ratify any contract in the eyes of god.

He is required to uphold honesty in all dealings, however this is not the same as transparency. A loaded deal is fine provided no one lies about what is offered, as that would constitute a breach of contract.

He prefers duels to pitched combat, as a duel represents contractual combat, and is as fair as combat can be provided both parties are equipped to a similar level.
>>
>>48036874
At this point (with all the realistic, grimdark settings and crazy, off-the-wall character concepts,) playing a stereotypical, good guy paladin is a pretty unique experience.

My last character was pretty much your stereotypical paladin and, in a party that was full of weirdos and lunatics and in a world that's rapidly going to hell in a handbasket, it was certainly different from any other character I played in a long time. It certainly helped the party dynamic too to have someone that would constantly advocate for doing the right thing, offering redemption for their enemies, helping the downtrodden, etc.
>>
>>48035724
>Jerk Paladin
>Nontraditional
>>
>>48035263
A con man who has an oath of Insight, he goes around scamming people to rid them of their gullibility and teach them a lesson.

or

A young boy Paladin who is just starting off as a Paladin and has to take his mother everywhere he goes.
>>
>>48037068
I have Toh to you brother for forgetting about this.
>>
>>48037009
A knight without armor in a savage land?
>>
>>48035263
Paladin of Eraatil.Light to medium armor, composite longbow, bastard sword, lives in the forest with no real home but keeps the monsters from getting to his village.
>>
well i guess you can always pull a 'moral relativism' card and argue that literally everything in this world is good because of a fact that it can happen and that's it, so the guy can call upon the light or whatever no matter what kind of bullshit he is doing because hey, the light answered

or he is simply the servant of the law, physical law, as in if reality allows it to happen, than its a-ok for it to happen, so literally everything that can happen, is good because it can happen
>>
>>48037108

>Corporate Lawyer Paladin

Does that make his squires paralegals? Palalegals?
>>
>>48036868
Or Sam Vimes
>>
File: Batman TAS.gif (413 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
Batman TAS.gif
413 KB, 500x400
>>48035263
Gif. related would be a perfect Paladin.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.