[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

>Old Thread
>>48024818

Which class/path is best for a pet class?
>>
>>48033967
There really isn't one...having a pet doesn't really work. The closest you're going to get is probably a conjuration wizard, maybe a druid that specializes in all the summoning spells.
>>
>>48034026
This. Summoning is the best way to have a pet mechanically. I like lore bard just to steal the best conjure spells from each list.
>>
>>48034255
Yeah, that can work.

For me, though, there's nothing more fun than a wizard conjuration demonologist...I just love it.
>>
>>48033967
Best pet class is pact of the chain. Those familiars are really freaking useful.
>>
So folks, after a villain took over our home and led to a very strenuous session(as well as killing all our employees)we've decided as a group to sell the home and create/buy a new one. Stole this one from a vampire and it's been nothing but constant attacks since.

So I'm asking two main things.

1 - The best type base for defense and general usability, we were in a manor so it was relatively easy to get into. Location suggestions would be good too, general fantasy stuff.

2 - The best defenses for the home since a few guards just aint cutting it. I'm a cleric(lv12)so I do have access to hallow and forbiddence but had no time to cast it on the house as we had got it recently. Other than that any suggestions? I figure even after a move we'll still be attacked a few times and I want to make sure that if someone does get past the defenses it's a big deal.

It's a pity 5e doesn't have much on building bases, I've heard past editions have a very in-depth ones along with more perks. Saw that Walrock homebrew for homes as well which is nice, might try to get my DM to let us do that but assume for now just 5e.

Any help will be appreciated.
>>
>>48033967
3 levels warlock; pact of the chain. 3 levels ranger, beast.
14 levels druid for the lols
>>
Does anyone have a collection of alternative backgrounds? Preferably including ones for a doctor and/or cook?
>inb4 guild artisan
Close but not what I'm looking for, I need fun specific kinda stuff.
>>
>>48033967
> Play add a Champion Fighter with a pet dog.
> Be a responsible owner and leave the dog with a trustworthy caretaker while off facing peril.
> Return home with ancient treasures in tow, enemies vanquished.
> Dog doesn't care, he's just happy to have you back.
>>
>>48035299
This made me go pet my dog, thanks anon.
>>
Best Good aligned war god for a cleric? I'm "torn" between Torm and Tyr.
>>
>>48035049
The hack/slash blog did a series of them a while back. I'd just as soon just let my players make their own, though.
>>
>>48035477
Athena? Sophia? Apollo?
>>
posting from the last thread

>>48030724

Feedback was cool, but someone said it was underpowered compared to tieflings or humans.

Should I see about giving it a lvl 5 spell then?

>>48035477

Tyr is also a god of duels. Not to mention he's lost his hand by being the only one with balls to sacrifice it to the maw of Fenris, this even though he's a god of duels.

Therefore, he's probably more on the lawful side then
>>
Just ran my first game, to a group of 15-year-olds
Went surprisingly well, and my younger brother managed to steer the rest of the party away from murdering their way through everything
I'm having a hard time getting them to actually rp their characters though, any ideas?
>>
Does Goodberrys "nourishment for a day" include the need to drink water?

Note I said "need", not "desire". You could still be thirsty af as long as it means you won't keel over and die of dehydration.
>>
>>48036716
no, just food
>>
>>48036358
No way to force it. I tried my best at that, trust me.

Given time their "characters" will begin to grow different personalities and they will start getting used to one another on the table. Then you begin calling them by their character's names and using "what does HE does" or "what do THEY do" instead of what do you do.
This works wonders for rp. It creates enough distance when they are already invested and makes them want to try acting out of their 'own' character and play as the game character instead.
>>
>>48036358
just give them time to get into it and get more comfortable. You getting in character and doing voices for npcs will help normalize the behavior for them.
>>
>>48036732
I guess I'll have to think up some way for my Rouge I'm making to get water on long jobs then since I was going to take Druid Magic initiate with Goodberry for food, Mending for obvious reasons on a gear based build, and something else.

Wonder if DM would let me take Create/Destroy Water despite it being a spell and not a cantrip if I made the stipulation that I only know how to produce enough to fill a gallon jug or so instead of the full 10 gallons and ability to destroy it.
>>
>>48033967
Urchin Background gives you a pet mouse.
>>
>>48036832
*and lack the ability to destroy it
>>
>>48036832
you could just ask him to make goodberry do as such, or ask him his definition of nourish, since its just for thematic purposes. maybe even ask if you can go to one cantrip/spell and have goodberry be water as well
>>
File: 5e_MM_Flying-Snake.png (424 KB, 550x661) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Flying-Snake.png
424 KB, 550x661
>>48033967
>>48033967
>>48033967
Any way, RAW, for an assassin rogue to obtain a (preferably friendly) flying snake pet to harvest poison from?
>>
>>48036985
Take find familiar with Magic Initiate and hope your DM lets you have a flying snake
>>
>>48036985
Not a flying snake RAW but you could get a Poisonous Snake via Find Familiar and use that, or ask your DM if you could use Find Familiar for a flying snake or make the Frog/Toad a Poison Dart Frog or whatever they're called and use that, though harvesting a full vial off a toad would probably be quite a challenge.
>>
>>48037021
>>48037030
I'm thinking that the only reliable way without DM intervention is to have a druid in the party. Does that raise any RAW concerns, harvesting poison from a wildshaped druid?
>>
>>48036985
the obvious bending rules others have said, get a different animal, or take 3 levels of ranger
>>
>>48034643

lol how the fuck did you get to level 12? did you start at level 10?
>>
>>48036985

Play a ranger. They are underpowered shit otherwise but they might work for what you want.
>>
>>48037098
>>48037083
Even then, though, the beastmaster might not have access to the flying snake.

>start with it
>it dies
>"well you're in the underdark, sorry about your luck"

That being said, would the flying snake be a surprisingly good beastmaster companion?

Bite:
>+6+proficiency to attack roll
>3d4+1+proficiency bonus damage
>flyby
>60ft flyspeed
>14+proficiency AC
>same health as any other companion
>>
>>48037086

Doing things, beating enemies and what not generally does level you up in this game.
>>
>>48033967
Necromancer. You can have your familiar, plus a massive number of zombies / skeletons, a fair number of ghouls and ghasts, and two mummies. Also if you get really lucky you can pick up a mummy lord as well to lead your undead army.
>>
>>48037151
the main disadvantage is like you said, its not a magical beast, without changing RAW its pretty easily killed. but like you said, raw.
its one of the better flying BM pets, but its frail as fuck
>>
>>48037203
Just as frail as the other beasts, yeah?

Also, what the fuck was wotc thinking not giving companions a way to bypass physical resistance/immunity?
>>
>>48037237
well as frail as the other flyers i mean, they stereotypically have very low health, but to my knowledge, all the "good" flyers have flyby attack anyway
>>
>>48037251
All beast companions get the same HP (or their rolled/average statblock health)
>>
File: 1440270306081.jpg (43 KB, 551x600) Image search: [Google]
1440270306081.jpg
43 KB, 551x600
Swarm of Bats and Swarm of Rats are both valid beastmaster companions.
>>
>>48037274
right, which means 12 maximum since he would probably take the bare minimum ranger levels. i more mean that the beasts with lower ac, generally have more health to make up for it. flyers dont really have ac or health
flying snake is barely better than a familiar at that point
>>
>>48037436
I just mean in general for a beastmaster.
>>
Cleric (Death Domain)/Wizard (Necromancy) here, looking for some advice.

How do I get my bard to stop casting fireball and killing all my zombies?
>>
>>48037359
No they aren't. Swarms are multiple beasts, BMs only get a singular beast companion.
>>
>>48037509
Talk to him out of character either before or after session and tell him to not do that. If he refuses, talk to the DM about it. If that does not resolve the issue, either leave the game or pick up counterspell.
>>
>>48037562
I'll probably just pick up counterspell. He will bitch but I won't care, I have a limited amount of corpses where we are, and I made a deal with my DM to not have more than 3 at a time.
>>
>>48037562
Oh also leaving the game, I really really want to leave this group but it's the only group I have and there aren't any others that I know of in this area. It's either I play and have a hobby or I don't and have to live every day of my life not pretending to not be me.
>>
>>48037771
>It's either I play and have a hobby or I don't and have to live every day of my life not pretending to not be me.
Fuck, that's hitting too hard tonight
>>
>>48037169
This. itll forever take all your spell slots to have an army, but you will undoubtably have the best/most pets.

Or you could try out the Master of Shadows archetype from my shadowcaster conversion. It has a pet shadow elemental and is similar to the beastmaster archetype.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkaciQ1L

Feedback is more than welcome.
>>
I'm currently playing Curse of Strhad with my group and I'm switching character after we got raped by the witches at level 3. What's the best way to build a Warlock at level 4? Is the Undying Flame path worth it or should I go with Infernal(Pact of the Tome)
>>
I'm playing either a GOO or undying Warlock in an upcoming Forgotten Realms game and I was wondering if there are any canon patrons that haven't been done to death?
>>
ay 5eg whats the best class to play for someone who wants to kill himself every day?
>>
>>48038152
A faggot?
>>
>>48034643
why would anyone buy a vampires lair especially when the vampire wants it back
>>
>>48034643
>Saw that Walrock homebrew for homes as well which is nice

you uh... got that saved somewhere? Mind sharing it?
>>
>>48038152
>begin to suggest suicidal AoE Revenant Warlock
>realize poster wants to kill himself every day
Choose life anon. No, really, choose Life Domain and maybe your party will give you a reason to live.
>>
>>48038137
Auppenser, maybe.
>>
>>48038160
No, I'm straight and I have a sexy gf. Do you have a recommendation or not?

>>48038364
I hate clerics.
>>
File: 1459658576532.jpg (274 KB, 1024x1918) Image search: [Google]
1459658576532.jpg
274 KB, 1024x1918
Alright! New campaign, new options, I decided to go with one I can find almost no information of any kind about except some faggot on reddit spamming "Mind Vault is broken" (probably true): the Mystic.

The number one complaint anyone seems to have about 5e is the lack of options so far, so you'd think an entirely new class with its own mechanics would have the shit playtested out of it, but apparently feedback has been pretty anemic, as if no one actually cares.

My concern is that this may be because the Mystic is bad or lame. It has a lot of features and I'm having trouble seeing the big picture: tell me about this fucking thing. Per-round regenerating temporary HP has me covered if I want to tank, but let's say I want to do other things too?
>>
I'm really sad there aren't different types of bows with different draw weights for different damages..
>>
>>48038607
they dont even have all the weapons they do have ingame right anyway, be happy they dont
>>
>>48038683
How should they be different?
>>
>>48038714
trident
>>
>>48038683
Different draw weight bows would be easy to model in game. Require a threshold of strength and do more damage
>>
>>48038571
>Do you have a recommendation or not?
not that anon but paladin
>>
>A patchwork of dozens of banners hangs from this ornate lance, arranged to form a larger symbol.
>A History check will reveal that these are the banners of several noble houses that have died out, particularly from around the southern kingdoms.

What kind of magical properties should I give this thing? It's supposed to be the favored weapon of a demon* hunter.

>TL note: "demon" means "whatever their masters don't like", which also means the party.
>>
>>48038607
>High-Draw Shortbow
>1d4 piercing, Ammunition (range 80/320), two-handed
>High-Draw Longbow
>1d6 piercing, Ammunition (range 150/600), heavy, two-handed
>When you hit with a ranged attack using a high-draw bow, you add your Strength modifier to the attack's damage in addition to your Dexterity modifier.
>>
Are people generally inclined to being evil or being good?

Don't give me a bullshit moral relativism answer. Are humans even worth saving as a species? Are there more good among us than bad?
>>
>>48038900
It's a fantasy game, that's up to you friend.
>>
>>48038900
all but 2 of my group (myself and one of the rogues) is unable to pick either or. everyone is some mix of chaotic or lawful neutral.

i think people just dont like to pick
>>
>>48038933
Wouldn't that make them chaotic, though?
>>
>>48038900
humans on earth are worth saving because we're the only species on earth capable of a lot of things. but when you put it into a fantasy setting in which case there are other species with art, music, etc., then i don't know
>>
File: 5e_MM_Giant-Frog_Swallow.png (584 KB, 597x596) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Giant-Frog_Swallow.png
584 KB, 597x596
rare pepe
>>
>>48038982
being neutral doesnt make you chaotic. i just have the misfortune of grouping with a bunch of edgelords

>Paladin whos "patron" is a vampire and killed his father at the age of 15
>Monk street rat of the radiant soul, has a pet mouse who is actually an imp leading him to ruin
>fey warlock who is trying to become a lich
>druid who has a massive hate boner for cities and a massive fur boner for me because my elf came down with a case of werewolves
>dark elf rogue who left the underdark to get away from the slavery and petty politics to begin doing that on the surface
>fiend warlock tiefling(dead) who was all "everyone is weak" and acted like a douchnozzle "lel so randumb"

...actually aside from the warlock who is six feet under slowly everyone is turning into characters instead of "im so dark and edgy" because my chaotic good elf is infectious with how nice he is...

im actually that guy technically arent i?
>>
>>48038900
If we're good, then we're worth saving. If we're bad, we might not be worth saving, but we'll do it anyway because we're bad.
It's a bad question. You make assumptions about people being good OR evil as if that's what people are like. You're not talking about people, you're talking about (Catholic) Christian ideas of what people should and shouldn't be.
If you're not talking about real people, the answer is whatever you think, but it doesn't affect anyone or anything, so it's useless, apart from reinforcing your own (flawed) beliefs.
It's like asking- which is better, halberds, or glaives? The only distinction is in the name. There's no such thing as either, they're all just "slashy polearms".
>>
Do people notice when you Hex them while hidden? That check disadvantage is really useful, but not so much in social settings.

>>48038813
Grants the Retainers feature in the form of ghostly second sons and daughters.

You can cast Hunter's Mark once per short rest as a 1st level spell, but you don't need to concentrate on it.

Once per long rest, you can cast mirror image, except that your images are spectral knights and lords - since they are swift to intervene to defend you, there is no penalty for this effect. Each image deals 1d6 force damage a round to a creature within 5 feet of you.
>>
>>48039085
>hex

depends on your DM. I asked the same question yesterday.
>>
Could a Dual Wielder feat character make an off-hand attack with this?
>>
>>48039099
i would allow that in my campaign.
>>
>>48039099
i think so yes
>>
>>48033967
I'm going to be playing in my first 5e game pretty soon and I think I'd like to play a Warlock (probably core only since this is the DM's first time DMing).

Is there anything I should know about it? I've flipped through the PHB sections about it, and I think I have a decent handle on it and the rules in general, but is there anything that's easy to miss? I'm guessing there aren't trap options on a 3e scale, but is there anything in that area I need to watch out for?

For that matter, is there a good Warlock guide / 5e beginner's guide out there that someone knows about? I can get various ones through Google but IDK how accurate they are.
>>
>>48039121
You'll definitely want to pick eldritch blast (cantrip) and Hex (1st) as spells. Apart from that, pick what seems cool!
>>
>>48039121
you're essentially a "ranged character" rather than a caster
eldritch blast is your "weapon attack" along with hex being your "hunters mark", you get a few spells as well, and eventually invocations. feel free to go more blasty with your choices, but remember eldritch blast is a pretty damn good cantrip. you're essentially a fighter hurling halbreds at 100+yard range with it.

theres "good choices" and bad choices, but just pick what you light, you can change a number of things whenever you level anyway.
if you're worried about dying though, pick up the "FIENDISH VIGOR" invocation at level two
even without cheesing it (which your dm shouldn't allow you to do) you can cast it between every fight for 5-8 temporary health. when 5-8 isn't enough, just trade it in at a levelup for something else
>>
>>48039121
Your tiny number of spell slots refresh on SHORT rest. Not long, at the end of the day, SHORT, as often as you can convince your party to take a breather.

Pact of the Blade is not very good.
Pact of the Chain is solid but you have to be really into that imp.
Pact of the Tome is amazing. You can pick Shillelagh and Find Familiar (with the upgrade invocation for rituals preferably) and have a solid chunk of what made the other two pacts good.

As a caster, you're kind of a shitty caster. Lots of spells were cut from your list and made invocations - the "you can cast this once with a slot" invocations are basically all traps that should be class features.

As an arcane archer - Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast + Hex - you have solid DPR and lots of surprising utility.

Manage your spell slots very carefully. Hex is almost always worth a cast since you can transfer it from thing to thing for its duration.

Darkness + See in Darkness (the Invocation that lets you do that) is very strong but your DM and your party will both hate you. Just the See in Darkness invocation is still very strong, and no one can complain about THAT.

All the pacts are decent. Great Old One is maybe a little better overall than the competition but not by a lot.
>>
>>48039121
A fun combo is to pick up the eldritch spear invocation and get the feat spell sniper. With these you can cast eldritch blast at people from 600 ft away.
>>
>>48039210
This is also a great combo for making your DM upset, denying your party participation, and never getting used once enemies stop appearing 600 feet away.

Warlocks have a handful of great combos you can't/shouldn't actually use, sadly.
>>
File: IMG_0013.jpg (119 KB, 498x716) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
119 KB, 498x716
>>48039198
>Pact of the Blade is not very good.
DEBATABLE
E
B
A
T
A
B
L
E
>>
>>48038598
bump. Has anyone seen one, let alone played one?
>>
>>48039239
Yeah I realize that it isn't the most viable of combos but it is pretty fun when it does work.
>>
>>48038900
To being good. Save 'em.
>>
>>48039146
>>48039178
>eldritch blast
Is it really that essential? I was looking through the options and there are some nice upgrades you can get for it through invocations, but Chill Touch sounded more interesting at the cost of (on average) 1 damage per use.

>>48039198
>traps that should be class features.
Yeah, that's the impression I got from them. Is there some build where some/all of them become good, or are they just sucky all around?

Hex seems nice, but the potential to lose concentration on it every time I'm hit makes me nervous. The guy who'll be DMing is definitely the type to have archer enemies take potshots at the squishies in the back row, so that nice long duration is likely to get cut short pretty frequently.
>>
>>48039249
Is it? Low damage that becomes okay damage at level 12 while eating up two Invocations, doesn't combo at all with cantrips (unlike other gishes, who would love a bonus action Eldritch Blast), you don't have Con proficiency, you don't have armor proficiencies, you don't have a fighting style. You can solve many of these problems by starting Fighter 1 but that's like saying barbarians make great skillmonkeys if you start them Rogue 1.
>>
>>48039276
essential? no
but its kinda like going sword and shield on a barbarian, and your goal is still to do as much damage as possible
you can still do good, but you're kinda missing the point

that being said, there isn't really a better damage cantrip. everything else is going to have lower damage dice, but only have 1 roll to hit/save
its the mathematically longest ranged, highest potential damage cantrip in the game
>>
>>48039276
Yes. Eldritch Blast fires multiple beams of force. Each beam gains damage from Agonizing Blast and from Hex, so each Beam can be 1d10 force + 1d6 necrotic + Charisma necrotic.

That's why warlocks are arcane archers, and that's what makes up (in part) for their shitty spellcasting: they're pretty good arcane archers.

>is there some build where traps untrap
Polymorph and Bestow Curse are very strong spells. Maybe enough to cripple your Invocation choices for.

>hex
Yeah, but you always have SOMETHING you want to concentrate on. Try to deal with it. Get War Caster and Resilient (Con) if you really need, in that order.
>>
>>48039276
As you said, the invocations give it more effectiveness. +CHA damage is no joke, especially because it affects EACH BEAM
You can also target each beam at a different target, to spread around the pain, which chill touch can't do.
And repelling blast can be stupid - 10ft pushed for each beam is quite crazy.
>>
>>48038769

3.PF general is that way >>>>>>>
>>
>>48039290
In the core rulebook I think it is weaker than the others but with the additions of SCAG cantrips it seems like it could be pretty powerful.
>>
>>48039309
>>48039315
>>48039316
>multiple beams
Oh shit, I didn't see that. That makes Agonizing Blast way better.

So I'd theoretically be able to opportunity attack a bunch of Eldritch Blast beams to someone's face if they happened to run past me or some shit? (I know that's not something that should be likely as a squishy unless I really pump Con or some shit, but what if).
>>
>>48039368
Whoops, forgot to add "with War Caster" to that one.
>>
>>48039290
>Is it?
It has its problems, but also its adherents.
Its not optimal, and its an uphill battle.
But the real warlock problem comes after level 10 where they just fall behind every other caster, with no flexibility for level 6+ spells and only one of each known.
>>
>>48039099
I wouldn't let the dual-wielder +1 AC stack with the shield's AC, but otherwise yeah why not.
>>
quick question
is difficult terrain a big deal anymore? costing twice the movement seems a bit meh.

also does difficult terrain stack with someone prone trying to get up so their move action to get up costs their full movement?
>>
>>48039382
>But the real warlock problem comes after level 10 where they just fall behind every other caster, with no flexibility for level 6+ spells and only one of each known.
When you can pump out ranged damage like a martial (EB + agonizing blast) and have a few really good at-will magic tricks up your sleeve, having flexibility with the super-strong spells really isn't needed that much in my opinion.
>>
>>48039290
>>48039364
>>48039382
the reality sadly is that its not bad
its just not AS good
to do optimal damage, it needs either an extra cantrip and an invocation, or two invocations, and you need to focus on another stat you may have dumped. it gets better the more bonus attacks you get, but thats the same as any hex/hunters mark user, and as it is, blade lock gets 2, normal lock gets 4. it could theoretically be better dual wielding, but you still wouldn't get as much extra damage as regular EB.
honestly (and this is just imo) pact of the blade should get an extra attack at level 5, and an option for a third with an invocation
>>
>>48039449
>is difficult terrain a big deal anymore? costing twice the movement seems a bit meh.
That's all it's been for the last three editions at least.

And no, difficult terrain doesn't multiply prone's movement cost.
>>
>>48033967
Consensus Ranger.
>>
>>48039334
Is that in 3.PF? I know it's in 2nd edition. Big fan of 2nd edition's weapon mechanics.
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (78 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
78 KB, 1280x720
This is how I infernal warlock
>>
>>48039574
I concur, but how else can you scale the beastmasters companion as you level up?
Maybe if there was a template for making bigger or smaller creatures... The companion can use those at specific levels to balance things out.
>>
>>48038900
If you put ten people on an island, they'll generally help each other survive, because it's more effective that way. A single person will die and die alone without a shred of evidence of their existence, but a group of people will continue on and their predecessors' deeds will be immortalized in them.

9 people is also stronger than 1 person. If 1 person acts out against the group, they'll be gotten rid of, and the island will go back to being 100% good. Life itself rewards the Good. Evil ultimately dies out.

No I'm not religious and no I don't really like people, but I wish I did. I'm just broken.
>>
>>48039099

In your own game, you can spin it however you'd like. RAW, though, that is taken from the Lizardfolk stat block on page 204 of the Monster Manual, and is not available on any of the PC equipment lists. It is not available to players.

(Per the AL League rules, you may use salvaged equipment to the end of the session however using armor you are not proficient in subjects you to "disadvantage on any ability check, saving throw, or attack roll that involves Strength or Dexterity, and you can’t cast spells.")

Shutdown 1: Being proficient in "shields" makes you proficient in the +2 AC shield from the equipment list. It does not make you proficient in all possible shields any more than the fighter's proficiency in "all armor" makes them proficient in unlisted armors.

Shutdown 2: Okay, genius, since you want to be stubborn nothing in that statblock gives an AC modifier for the shield, only that a lizardfolk's natural armor plus or minus their shield is 15. For all you know Lizardfolk could have a natural armor of 20 but the shield gives -5 AC.

Final Note: RAW a shield can be used as an improvised weapon for 1d4 damage without penalty with the type of damage up to the DM. Spinning it as a standard +2 shield that does a slightly different damage type when used to bash *may* get a warmer reception than asking to treat it as a shield/spear hybrid depending on the DM.
>>
>>48039531
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/longbow-composite , it was a much disliked mechanism that added a lot of systems weirdness for very little benefit and was often misused, especially when it came to attack rolls (still DEX), whether you actually get to add your STR (you don't, you're just using the STR to use a bow that itself does damage bow) and scaling (it doesn't, you'd have to sell your +2 and buy a +3.)
>>
How hard do you all like to stick with the weapon damage types. For example if something is resistant to slashing, is it really that much of a stretch to thrust with a long sword instead of slash. Would you allow it?
>>
>>48039774
no
>>
>>48039521

This is pretty good. Almost a little too good. This isn't official, is it?
>>
>>48039774

I think they're pretty clearly 3 different damage types. Bashing has a lot to do with pure momentum transfer, slashing has to do with inflicting a massive amount of surface damage without caring about penetration, and piercing is nearly 100% penetration without much momentum transfer or surface damage.

I'm generally pretty much a stickler for this, too. One of my players wanted to know why I wouldn't just let his sword strikes "count" as bashing and I said it's because a sword isn't designed for bashing. He said "it ought to work, it ways the same" so I told him to go try to drive a nail with a really big screwdriver.

I gotta quit being an asshole when I'm right.
>>
>>48039891
>so I told him to go try to drive a nail with a really big screwdriver.

You flip the screwdriver around and use it like a hammer.

Like, ya know, mordhau.
>>
>>48039877
Its 95% the same ranger as PHB
>>
File: Fucking Hippies.jpg (292 KB, 800x1275) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Hippies.jpg
292 KB, 800x1275
Need a good lv 5 druid spell selection/build.
>>
>>48038982
A wishy-washy character that runs the gamut of the spectrum is usually Neutral (not TN, just N).
Chaotic Neutral requires the character to have a strong conviction towards liberty and personal freedom, although they are not the type to actively promote anarchy (this would require them to pick a side in Good vs. Evil). They are usually free of spirit and reluctant to tie themselves down anywhere or to anything.
They also have the unfortunate feature of attracting lel-so-randumb faggots.
>>
Having my first 5e game in a few days and I'm using an Excel sheet to help keep track of it. Does anyone know what I'm meant to put in the boxes under Feat & Level Gains?
>>
>>48039711
I actually kind of agree. Maybe you could have something like for every five your Dex is above ten you increase your bow damage dice one size.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160630-130828.png (402 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160630-130828.png
402 KB, 2560x1440
>>48040187
Of course I forget the picture.
>>
>>48040160
Moon or Land?
>>
File: Frogeat.png (215 KB, 640x357) Image search: [Google]
Frogeat.png
215 KB, 640x357
>>48039021
>>
>>48040216
Probably just the ability scores you get at each level. If you wanted to get +2 str at level 4 you would just put 2 in the level 4 str box. If you got the feat moderately armored at level 1 and chose to increase str by 1 you would put 1 in the str box at level one. A better suggestion though would be to actually write it out since creating a character is probably the most simple it has ever been.
>>
>>48040226
either works. making a low level eco terrorist villain
>>
>>48040475
>le Druid is eco terrurist
>using PC levels for NPCs

Just fucking off yourself instead.
>>
>>48034067
Abilities give you permissions, not limitations. Minor Conjuration only lets you conjure forms, not materials.
>>
next book when? NO ADVENTURES/CAPAIGN, a real book, with feats, archetypes, races, classes etc etc...
>>
>>48039521
is it official?
>>
>>48039521
Yes, subtle and effective, I love it
>>
>>48040548
>the only real books are splatbooks

I have bad news for you, Anon. Wizards finally realized that splatbooks make the game worse, with all the power creep and extra thumbing through books required, so they're being very careful about releasing new splat material. So by your definition, next book never.
>>
>>48037237
>Also, what the fuck was wotc thinking not giving companions a way to bypass physical resistance/immunity?
They bypass it the same way any other ranger does. Use a magic item. There's the insignia of claws for the companion.
>>
>>48040600
>adding materials is bad
let's play for ever with the same classes.
>>
>>48040554
No - if it were, the Variant Ranger Features box on page 2 would be at the top or the bottom of a word column, not in the middle of it.
>>
>>48040628
They have added and will add some subclasses, maybe they will add a new class or two, but that will be as it has been so far, within setting and campaign books

There's also the DMsguild where a lot of great homebrew is published and some of it is even recommended by wizards
>>
>>48040628
To be honest? I don't think new classes should be added to the game unless they add something radically different that the extant classes can't offer. An Alchemist class, for example, would be fine.

But everything else should be subclasses. Which I'm gonna call kits 'cause I'm 2E like that.

So there shouldn't be a warlord class or an inquisitor class or a witch class, but a Warlord kit for fighters, an Oath of Inquisition for paladins, and a Tradition of the Cauldron for wizards, would be great.
>>
>>48040666
io want a playable ranger and an universalist wizard.
SCAG sucks hard, imho
>>
>>48039290
>>Low damage that becomes okay damage at level 12
>1d10+str at level 1
>2d6+str at level 3
>4d6+str*2 at level 5

Mountain Dwarf warlock is more damage than EB. Until level 11. So, good damage until level 12 when it becomes okay damage. But it's okay to repeat retarded memes, right?
>>
>>48037511
RAI.

Personally, I'd allow it, because it's cool. I'd also allow the fiendlock in the party to kill individual members of the swarm with the ranger's permission and gain temporary HP.
>>
>>48040600
Where do you see 5e in 5 years, splatwise?
>>
File: CLEAVER-s.jpg (15 KB, 250x300) Image search: [Google]
CLEAVER-s.jpg
15 KB, 250x300
How would you Roleplay a Neutral-evil Rogue without being a burden for your group?
>>
>>48040765
still no splats, just adventure guides with a small amount of new options. Also dead, replaced with 6e, that's hopefully abandoned the d20.
>>
>>48040781

By pretending you're neutral. I did for a year, and everything was fine. It's not hard, I mean, there's no need to prove you're evil as long as you have something in mind for yourself.
>>
>>48040781
You do what benefits yourself. Making the party mad at you does not benefit yourself. Unless you think you can make it on your own, which you can't, you need allies, and good allies are better than evil ones because unlike you they have no sense of self-interest. They're partners who voluntarily act like slaves - it's a pretty good arrangement.
>>
>>48040765
dead
>>
>>48040781
a guy that gets a little too much enjoyment out of killing people and would leave the party if he had to stop or not kill one too few.
>>
>>48040548
They probably won't do something big like that for a while, if ever, but it seems like in the Storm King's Thunder book that will come out in September they are going to add a rune mage class.
>>
>>48037509
Settle it in character, if he is just playing his character the player isn't at fault. Remember you can start an argument in game with a character, and if you don't solve it you could just kill him.
>>
>>48038134
Infernal Pact of the Tome is quite a delight. I daresay I have enjoyed setting large portions of Barovia's evils aflame.
>>
>>48039521

>Gaining 11 HP per level with variant ranger and +3 Con

A Barbarian would need +4 Con to match that. Awful, simply awful.
>>
>>48033967
WHY the fuck would anyone bury their dead in a world where necromancers exist?

Everyone would always burn their dead and scatter their ashes.
>>
>>48040548
The closest thing to that is the next monster manual, which will have a number of races.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 802x1060) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 802x1060
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/04_UA_Classics_Revisited.pdf

can someone explain trick shot flourish to me? as it is written it seems to go like this.
>take attack action
>at this point can use flourish
>use trick shot
>roll inspiration as a bonus action
>have movement and free action left
>somehow throw a knife??

this seems possible at level 6 with extra attack. but honestly to wait until level 6 to use something you got at level 3 is poor design. i feel like i'm missing something. any explanations?
>>
>>48041453
Isn't it just "Attack by throwing knife and use it"?
>>
>>48041453

You can take your bonus action before your standard action.
>>
File: image.jpg (492 KB, 854x1499) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
492 KB, 854x1499
>>48041485
maybe, perhaps i am just that stupid. i just assumed you had to follow up the attack with the flourish. have a cute boy as a reward.
>>
>>48041526
but you have to attack first before you can use flourish.
>>
>>48041453
>>48041527

Given your apparent affinity, got any trap character art to share?
>>
File: image.jpg (530 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
530 KB, 600x800
>>48041553
you have excellent taste friend.
>>
>>48041549
No, it says when you use an attack you can choose to use a flourish.
You use the flourish in conjunction either the attack.
Obviously you can only use trick shooter with a dagger throw attack.
>>
File: 1418109906535.jpg (654 KB, 800x847) Image search: [Google]
1418109906535.jpg
654 KB, 800x847
>>48041549

It's the same wording as Shield Master's shield bash, which Crawford has stated can be taken before the attack action. Yes, it's awkward in standard English, but it's fine in mechanical terms. You can take your bonus action first, then the attack action.

>>48041567

Only sometimes.
>>
Anyone know where I can find this:
>>48031694
Would really be interested in seeing it.
>>
>>48040202
So 20 Dex longbow does 3d8+5

r u retarded
>>
>>48041658
You're a retard if you think that's what dice size is
>>
>increase your bow damage dice one size
>>48041658
>3d8
>d8

No sir, the retard is you.
>>
>>48041664
So you want it to be a d12

So you want Dex fighters to have 600ft. range great axes

Just as retarded.
>>
>>48041691
No but doing more damage from that distance with eldritch blast is fine apparently?
If someone maxes dex they should get better damage
>>
EB is 1d10+5

and you have to be a warlock which is the main con of EB
>>
>>48041771
EB gets multiple beams based on character level, by the time your get +5 charisma you'll probably have 2 or 3 beams. You only need 2 levels of warlock for cantrip + invocation, so a melee focused paladin with decent enough charisma can literally shit out more damage than a dex-focused longbow user.
>>
>>48041815
Yeah good luck getting to 20 CHA with multiclass
>>
>>48041815

A Paladin would probably want to max out their Strength first (and have at least a moderate amount of Con) before getting to +5 Cha. Only ones I see going for +5 Cha are Bards, Sorcs and Warlocks.

That being said, if we're really considering a Dex based Longbow Fighter, they're likely to pick up Sharpshooter for that +10, which should help even out any disparities between attacking and casting EB.
>>
>>48041838
A half-elf paladin can start with 16 str AND charisma, and only needs a 2 level dip so maxing charisma won't be impossible at all you dip.
>>
>>48042001
lvl 10 before you can get to 20 on one stat, 18 for the second. and you lose your chance at getting any feats.
>>
File: Human.png (217 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Human.png
217 KB, 640x480
Has anyone here played a Warforged with the Charlatan background whose False Identity wasn't Warforged?

Or hell, if you've just played a Warforged at all I wanna hear about your character.
>>
>>48042426
Played Vigil, a Warforged Monk/Cleric with Divine Favor for extra 1d4 damage on all of my punch punch punch. Was a retired soldier who had only known the war he was born into seeking meaning now that there were no wars left to fight.
>>
>>48035581
I think it's fine as-is.
>>
>>48042528
Isn't that the backstory for every warforged?
>>
Can a creature that failed the saving throw for stinking cloud use a move action to get out of the cloud? Or do they spend all their actions "retching and reeling"?
>>
>>48042804
They can move out, action by that means hey can't attack cast a spell or stuff like that. This would be a great alternative to fireball if you had warforged or dwarves as your front liners.
>>
>>48042804
reeling means loss of ballance or to lurch violently. i'd be inclined to say it goes so far that they are knocked prone and convulsing until they pass they save. if they spend enough time in the cloud i'd say they take suffocation damage too. on save id say they could run away from the cloud.
>>
File: A Torch in Darkness.jpg (91 KB, 1126x710) Image search: [Google]
A Torch in Darkness.jpg
91 KB, 1126x710
>>48038152
Be a Paladin! Live not for yourself, but for others.
>>
>>48043082
>>48043095
shiiiet. Not sure who to believe, here.
>>
>>48043222

There's nothing in the spell that restricts movement, so if someone fails the save, they will spend their turn without any action or bonus action, but they can move out.
>>
>>48038900
Fair warning, Southern Baptist here.

People are generally inclined to Evil. Every single one of us.

But God thought we were worth saving.

Because, Anon, that's what Good does.

And here's how you know you are doing Good.

>For if you love those who love you, what recompense will you have? Do not the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet your brothers only, what is unusual about that? Do not the pagans do the same? So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect.

- The Gospel of Saint Matthew, chapter five, verses forty-six through forty-eight
>>
>>48043285
Barely practicing christian here

Why would god deliberately create us to be inclined to evil? Or are you saying god made a mistake?

It doesn't seem very good to create evil beings on purpose, when you can do otherwise. It doesn't seem very perfect to accidentally create evil beings.

Actually, in your theology, is God the DM and we're the evil NPC race for his player characters to eventually fight? Are we the tolkien orcs of the universe?
>>
>>48038152
If you mean the character wants to kill themself I guess be a fighter cause all the others usually have caused they go for and are usually upbeat, they mostly have the same skills they start and end with I guess roleplay wise other than abilities. By the way I recommend a haunted background for the extra edge.

If you the player want to kill themself and looking for something fun be a rogue an enjoy oneshotting things. That's always fun.
>>
>>48043328

Being programmed to be good is not the same as actually being good. Without the choice aspect of the equation, without having a hurdle to overcome, being good is meaningless.
>>
>>48043372
Being programmed to be evil robs humanity of as much choice as being programmed to be good. Being predispositioned to evil is as bad as being predispositioned to good. Either way it isn't free will, it isn't choice.

Do you believe in hell? If you do, what sort of justice is there in eternally torturing people for qualities and predispositions that you gave them?
>>
>>48041230
Why would anyone cremate their dead in a world where Raise Dead, Resurrection, and Revivify exist?
>>
>>48043407

Despite our inclination towards sin, we are also inclined to strive towards goodness. It's a hypocritical way for humanity to be made, but it's not without purpose. If we were programmed to be good, but strove towards sin, then it'd be the same as we are now but in reverse. But being programmed to be good while also striving to be good is meaningless. As we are now, we are made with limitations and the desire to overcome our limitations. Some people fail and fall into despair, some people succeed and find enlightenment. Most of us are somewhere in between.

Not the Southern Baptist guy by the by.
>>
>>48043285
>>48043328
>>48043372

Jew from Joisey here.

G-d made the universe imperfect, and has given us his mitzvah as both passive observances and actions to be taken to help heal the universe and make it whole. This is a concept called Tikkum Olam. There are bad things in the world because all of us have yet performed enough kindness.

We could spend hours, weeks, and years debating the conceits or precepts of absolute good and evil; but a look at our shared histories often points to different groups holding their opposition as evil for simply being their opposition.

Life is short, have some cake, and be nice to one another.

>>48039459
Its true, you fill a very specific niche in combat and can own it pretty well. And you retain a decent amount of out of combat utility.
>>
>>48043328
It's more an issue of free will. God didn't make us evil, but He did and does allow us the choice. Whether you take Adam & Eve as literal or metaphorical, the gist of it is that we invited, in essence, evil and corruption into the world. Frankly, God probably knew we would, but most likely the only way to avert it would be to create a race of automatons or create nothing at all.
>>
>>48043222
>>48043264
they why say "retching and reeling"? it gives the impression they have been sent reeling, and vomiting. i don't think something so noxious can be so easially maneuvered through. i'd wager taking a whiff is akin to getting blasted right into your chest or being kicked in the groin.
>>
>>48042804
Movement isn't an action.
>>
>>48038900
Humans are Good. We are a communal species. We evolved this way over thousands of years. While we are limited in the number of people we can care about at any given time and modern city living pushes the number of people we know or meet far past the number of fellow village or tribemates we would have had in antiquity, humanity will still band together in dire situations and sacrifice for the good of the whole.

We see this all the time in disaster areas. The media paints unflattering pictures because fear and outrage sells better, but the number of looters is always far less than those who are going out of their way to assist, both within the community and from without. Additionally, as a situation gets worse, the lengths that people will go to in order to benefit the whole increases, while the likelihood that people will be huge shitheads drops. Example: if there's a small flood and parts of the city have evacuated, sure, you might steal some TVs and stuff; take 'em back to your house, which will be fine once power's back on, or sell them on eBay, whatever. But if there's a truly Biblical flood and your own home has been completely trashed, there's no power, and the city is going to have to be written off entirely... why would you steal a TV? Are you going to stick it on a dinghy and sail out of town and drag it to the next city over and find some place to plug it in? No, there's just no point.

Empathy and a herd mentality are hardwired into humans. We're Good.
>>
>>48043480
> G-d
What are you doing? I'm not asking you as some ignorant goy, I'm asking you as a Jew here. I know people don't want to spell out God's name because it's sacred, but "God" isn't his name. Fuck, neither is Adonai or Elohim or even YHVH, that shit's all placeholders because to write the ACTUAL name would be a profane act, wouldn't it?
>>
>>48043515

You can retch and reel while standing and being mobile.

Source: Lots and lots of alcoholic nights.
>>
>>48043482
I get free will, but I think it's silly to say that being inclined to do evil is somehow more free than being inclined to do good. Frankly the idea that god purposefully inclines us towards sin is disgusting and offensive if you think it through, because many sins have innocent victims.

>I'm sorry officer. I didn't mean to stick my dick in those toddlers, but it was my god given, natural inclination.

I don't think humanity could have evolved the way it did if it wasn't inclined towards some very common ideals of good and decency.
>>
>>48043482
In other words, obedience without understanding is virtue and curiosity is sin. Humans could never be worthwhile without our sin.
>>
>>48043407
>>48043372
>2016
>believing in the concepts of good and evil

agnostic thiest here
yall ought to stop mucking up a perfectly good 5e thread with religious talk, unless were talking about clerics.

....we arent talking about clerics.... are we?
>>
>>48043594

I think your point would fit better if you were trying to ask why God allowed for mental illnesses to exist, because for that I have no answer. But even if humanity is inclined to want to do bad things (rampant lust is a good example), all of us want to think of ourselves as good and have others think of us as good. We all have our shames and regrets, and we use those things to better ourselves. How would we better ourselves if we were already good by default?

>>48043642

Eh, it's better than the usual Virt-tier baitshitting.
>>
>>48043520
>>48043264
perfect, thanks.
>>
>>48043594
He doesn't purposefully incline us towards sin, the fact is that sin is WILDLY more convenient and enjoyable than virtue. He simply allows us the free will to choose, and look what's far more appealing!

>>48043599
Absolutely wrong. Obedience to God is a virtue, but no one is punished for questioning, and in some stories God made a point of spelling out the point he was trying to make. Curiosity is certainly not a sin, but disobedience is. In the Adam and Eve story, the sin is not wondering about the fruit, but actively flaunting God's command. Consider that they had a whole GARDEN of very good fruit, and God only said to avoid the one. This was Adam and Eve being absurd, not God.
>>
>>48040507
You're going to have to explain that to the 95% of idiots who read this ability and interpret it as summoning functioning items like grenades, food, acid, precious gems, and whatever else, instead of being the magical equivalent of a 3D printer loaded with glowing plastic.
>>
>>48043660
eh, good point

As a minister, I have to toss in my argument against free will. We're here by god's given grace, and we're just here for the ride. Concepts of good and evil are made based on culture and society, not from the instinct of human nature.
>>
File: fry_leela_robots-sized.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fry_leela_robots-sized.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>48042426
>Has anyone here played a Warforged with the Charlatan background whose False Identity wasn't Warforged?
Better question: has anyone played a Non-Warforged with a Charlatan background whose False Identity was a Warforged?
>>
>>48043733

Maybe so, maybe so. As far as free will is concerned, given the arguments from both sides, I think the only reasonable conclusion that can be applicable to the wider population is that we simply do not have the means necessary to determine if we truly have free will or not and, thus, we can only act according to our limited perceptions which seem to indicate that we at least have the illusion of free will.
>>
>>48043805
I concur. It's nice to agree with someone on here. and about free will, no less.
>>
>>48043460
Cause it's insanely expensive, it costs 300 gold to revivify something that has been dead for less than a minute. They say one gold is a wealthy days pay for a skilled laborer. I can assure that most of the populace would not have that money on them, plus the ability to cast it has to be rare. A cleric with that skill would be very busy in a wealthy city. But simple townsfolk would just bury them, or burn them, and see them in on the outer planes when they die. In DnD death isn't the end it's just a really really really long goodbye, if you are the same alignment.
>>
>>48043726
>>48040507
It says you can conjure objects. It says nothing about those objects being non functioning. Moreover, there are tons of examples of abilities that come with limitations on how to use those abilities, so your weird argument for implying the unwritten limitations is wrong.

As a DM just ask yourself if what the player is trying to do seems beyond the pale, and try to apply it consistently.

>>48043708
I don't know if you're the southern baptist or not, but I can agree to this. Though I think you're overestimating how convenient sin is. Again, humanity has only gotten so far because of us being a generally good species, at least, according to what our species defines as good.
>>
>>48039521
how do you import the watercolor brush and fonts into GIMP?
please someone tell me.
it doesnt work for me :(
>>
>>48043832

>People agreeing on /5eg/

Someone inform /pol/, there's gonna be a great big Happening today.
>>
>>48043524
We're both, because a little of both kinds of behavior is what helps us survive best. We take care of our families and communities, but at the same time we have strong instincts to avoid the sick and value people less the further away they are from us. We survive by sometimes being kind and sometimes being cruel. Neither is appropriate all of the time and each has its time and place. Either one taken to extremes is suicidal.
>>
>>48043708
It was impossible for Adam and Eve to understand the command before it was disobeyed. Don't eat this fruit or you will experience things which you could not possibly have experienced before. You will not like it. It's absurd.
>>
>>48043904
I'd prefer to avoid that.

Here:

Casters are inherently much better at all noncombat aspects of the game than any nonrogue martial class. In combat, casters are slightly worse than martials, though still great.
>>
>>48043929
The absurdity comes from the problem of omniscience. God knew it was going to happen, and in fact that was the only purpose of the tree. It was an act of entrapment.
>>
Hey guys, question: when designing new races in 5e, is it too punishing/bad form to give them penalties to attributes? I'm thinking of a race of large sentient rocks, and I'm not sure how to make them work and reflect the fact that they're stonepersons in the rules. Here's some ideas I've been thinking about:

>-4 to DEX and +2 to STR/CON
>Immunity to poison
>inability to swim
>no need to breathe, eat, or drink
>2/bludgeoning damage reduction
>vulnerability to acid/fire

Are they too powerful? Too weak? I'm still a bit new to 5e.
>>
>>48044508
wait. so they can just walk underwater?
also, why vulnerability to fire?
>>
>>48044508

As near as I can tell, ability score penalties were a thing of past editions. There's no official precedent for it in 5e thus far and thus it would be extremely underpowered right from the get go. Giving them vulnerability to acid and FIRE (one of the most common damaging types) is a little much.
>>
File: 1462337868131.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
1462337868131.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>48044508
Have you read the relevant portion of the DMG?
When designing NPCs, absolutely not. Many statblocks for monsters have distinct weaknesses.
When designing PC races, absolutely. The only mechanical penalty is the tradeoff of Sunlight Sensitivity that Drow and Duergar get along with their Superior Darkvision.
Consider that large sentient rocks may not be suitable PCs.
>>
>>48044508
First, no penalties. Second, 2 vulnerabilities? That's ATROCIOUS. Even 1 is god damned huge since it doubles damage, and damage from fire tends to be REALLY high. The insanely small damage reduction doesn't make up for the two vulnerabilities, though that by itself is quite strong at low levels. Overall, you need to totally rework it. Base it on one of the pre-existing races and add or subtract some stuff, don't just try to copy shit over from another edition, which is what that looks like.
>>
>>48044508

Too overpowered and too underpowered, which is to say, too off-center. Vulnerability to the most common non-physical damage type (and the second, I believe) is huge, as is resistance to a physical damage type (is 2/ reduction still a thing? I honestly thought it was just resistance/immunity now). Immunity to poison, no big deal, it's fine, I think dwarves have that or something. Inability to swim, pretty fuckin' wonky but it's very justifiable (more so than swimming stone people). But -4 Dex? That's awful. WotC is stepping away from negative racial mods for a reason, with bounded bonuses a flat -2 to your roll right out of character creation is murder, and Dex is the worst possible attribute to do this to.

Anyway, what you're making is warforged with a borderline cosmetic difference, just refluff those unless you just /have/ to have speshul brews.
>>
>>48043642
Religion actually tends to be a rather civil topic around these parts

Just the other day we had a lengthy conversation about Islam in the Infinity general without almost any /pol/ tier posts

As a matter of fact, I feel that if we were to agree against discussing anything like builds or game mechanics /5eg/ could be perfectly civilized

Throwing my hat into the whole good/evil thing, as a nonpracticing catholic I feel that we're all inherently evil and we do a lot of evil stuff, but it's all good if before we die we go to a priest and say "I'm real sorry padre"

Bam, all good
>>
>>48044559
I'm thinking that they can walk underwater, yes. As for fire, I guess that was a silly idea.

>>48044582
Fair point. I still like the idea of vulnerability to acid however.

>>48044592
I have read the relevant portion of the DMG, but it's too light on the specifics and I thought /tg/ would be able to punch concrete holes in my idea better.

>>48044621
Hey, I'm just trying to check whether something is broken before I shove it in front of my player's faces. I'm not really trying to copy stuff from older editions, God forbid.

>>48044625
Heavens no, I don't even mind refluffing. I never even made the connection to Warforged because I'm an idiot. I'll take a look at that and rework it ever so slightly.

Thanks guys.
>>
>>48044653
We are collective community that greatly values personal beliefs and recognizes the merits that even invented realities hold. Of course we're more accepting two belief systems.
>>
>>48033967
my players are about 8 sessions in and they have a shitton of gold. they went to town and wanted to buy better equipment. I handed the equipment book and they weren't able to really find anything they needed that they didn't already have (save for a couple party members switching out their leather armor for studded leather armor)

My question is: what can I provide my players that's worth buying??
>>
>>48044757

Think about it this way: Every racial option thus far ends up with the PCs having a positive sum addition to their point bought stats. Your proposed rock people have a -4 and a +4, so they'd have a null sum. That's not attractive. You should strive to at least fit them in around where the other races are sitting at with a +3 sum to their stats. You might consider -2 Dex in exchange for +4 Str and +1 Con. And believe you me, all that Strength will not count for much while they're eating fireballs, I assure you.
>>
>>48044772
Uncommon magic items? Maybe some weapons or armor with cool properties like those nifty bloodborne ones?
>>
>>48044757
I'd keep vulnerabilities out of it, but remember to add immunity to the Poisoned condition with the immunity to poison damage. You might want to consider reducing their move speed signifigantly, and giving them a con boost or something instead of flat DR. Another thing to consider is you might want to make multiple subtypes instead of all just being 1 thing, so you make the base version that has most of that and a single +2 to a stat, then 1-2 subtypes that add another +1 (or 2, possibly) and some other features that aren't necessarily all combat related.
>>
>>48044772
Mounts, methods to carry loot, property (as in, homes, farms, or possibly even something like a fortified property like a tower or castle), businesses, fancier stuff like gold and gems stiched into their gear, and don't forget to charge them for food and drink. Money should be steadily leaking out of their pockets one way or another.
>>
>>48044772
If they don't already have magic weapons they can make their weapons silvered or adamantium.
>>
>>48044772
They could buy training. Get some skills or professions. If you really want to dump their gold tell them that they can train for a feat.
>>
>>48043856
Skilled labour isn't even supposed to be common in a medievalish setting. Most people work on farms they don't and never will own. Skilled labourers are burghers.
>>
Anyone ever be a part of a yuan-ti campaign? They seem perfect for low to mid level campaigns.
>>
>>48045395
Exactly, so to be a commoner with more than a hundred gold would mean you could be the wealthiest in your town, by a lot.
>>
So how would you price training for a feat?

Considering training for a skill/tool proficiency costs 250 (IIRC) and the skilled feat gives 3, I would calculate it's 750 for a feat (so I would round it to 1000 for a feat book you can take with you and learn while adventuring)

I don't recall how much time it said though, would 4 weeks be fair?
>>
>>48045641
300 days to learn a single skill, so years to learn a feat without magic helping them along (or a level up granting it)
>>
>>48043548
Also a Jew, I was always told The God Who Is What God Is was the real name and YHVH was too avoid taking it in vain.
>>
>>48045809
Never heard that first bit, but the latter sounds like what I was saying.
>>
>>48045725
Makes sense, maybe I would allow some checks to reduce the time, like I currently do with crafting
>>
>>48045809
>>48045834
I'm not jewish myself but I have a few jewish friends and they always write it as G-d
I just figured it was a jewish thing
>>
>>48045881
Don't you mean j-w, you f-g?
>>
>>48045881
It is, or at least it kind of is. Not everyone does it. Personally I think it's retarded since there isn't an actual written name of God to write anyhow. We're already showing respect by using these different names/titles. If we were supposed to not write out "God", the Torah wouldn't have spelled out Adonai or YHVH, would it?
>>
I'll be DMing my first 5e session ever and my second session overall, only having done a single 4e one-shot before.

I'm currently working on the campaign and where things should be headed as well as world building.

Anyone care to maybe throw a few story ideas in my direction?
A majority of my players want to not have the BBEG as obvious and to first need to be discovered, with some secrets and the like, and 2 of them are the "murder-hobo" kind of players that will most likely get whiny and bored if they don't get a regular dose of action.

TL;DR designing my first 5e campaign that needs a "things are going haywire and PCs need to find out why" story hook with secrets and puzzles while also having regular fighting and I could need help with some ideas.
>>
>>48046012
City campaign
A strange magical drug is being filtered ito the population causing groups of citizens to go crazy and basically murder everything

PCs need to find out who is manufacturing the drug by funding clues after putting the berzerkers down with maximum prejudice (overdoses of the drug are fatal and turn people into what is basically berzerking undead)

In the end the drug is being manufactured by a guy who is also creating cures for a plague that affects the poor of the city and sells the zerker drug to the rich to finance healing the poor

If the PCs struggle with the the moral dilemma the guy downs a gallon of potion and comes at them in desperation, taking the choice out of their hands

What happens next is up to them
>>
File: PlagueDoctor.jpg (102 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
PlagueDoctor.jpg
102 KB, 1920x1080
>>48046149
Why not have the madness drug be the same thing that's curing people? He's distributing the experimental cures but often they leave the patient in shambles, so he's testing new batches one by one to reduce the side effects. Meanwhile, someone he trusted or who happened upon his dump site is distributing it as a recreational drug.
That way you can hook the party with the drug or the disease, and have there be the illusion of madness being caused by the disease itself.
>>
>>48044559
Maybe they're like Discworld trolls, and their ability to think is inversely proportional to their temperature because their brains are silicon computers that need constant cooling.
>>
File: QTSatana2.jpg (18 KB, 200x301) Image search: [Google]
QTSatana2.jpg
18 KB, 200x301
>>48043708
>>
>>48045641
I can't imagine someone putting their character into semi-retirement so they can learn an extra feat while the rest of the group keeps on playing, so instead of just having it take X gold and days I'd offer it as a reward for doing something significant enough to warrant some major downtime afterwards.
>>
Build me
>>
>>48046359
you're attractive for your age
those skulls are pretty cool accessories
long beards are coming back into fashion

there, you're built up
>>
>>48046436
Thanks guy, now I feel hyped up enough to conjure an interuniversal gateway and lead a genocide.
>>
>>48046436
He's only something like thirty years old at the time of the first war.
>>
>>48046487
Go get'em champ ;)
>>
>>48039659
Thanks, that kinda sucks, aha. Kinda boring that PCs can only use PHB/DMG items.
>>
>>48039877
>>48040554

No it's not official. It was a community creation from criticism and playtesting over time, so they named it consensus.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 34

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.