[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please remind me why I wanted to collect all the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: AD&D books.png (2 MB, 1871x2342) Image search: [Google]
AD&D books.png
2 MB, 1871x2342
Can someone please remind me why I wanted to collect all the AD&D books?

That ain't even counting the actually expensive ones like the spell volumes and some of the really obscure modules

but man, does any game even compare to the amount of fluff AD&D had?

Also can someone help me out here

AD&D is second edition right? Like there's not really a First Edition AD&D? that was just Dungeons and Dargons right? The evolution of chainmail?
>>
I can confirm, AD&D is basically D&D v2.0
>>
>>48032296
well that's not very helpful...
>>
>>48028778
>AD&D is second edition right? Like there's not really a First Edition AD&D? that was just Dungeons and Dargons right? The evolution of chainmail?

no

first there was "dungeons & dragons", which most people now call OD&D (original dungeons & dragons).

after that, they created two different product lines - D&D (also known as basic D&D) and advanced D&D. what most people call 1st edition was the 1st edition of AD&D, and what people call 2nd edition is the second edition of AD&D. there were also several editions of basic D&D.

when WotC took over, they dropped basic D&D - hence 3rd edition was simply called D&D, but it was the next in the line of games that had previously been AD&D. so when people talk about "5th edition", for example, it's the 5th iteration of a line of games that started with 1st edition AD&D. it doesn't factor in the several editions of the aborted basic D&D line, nor does it factor in OD&D.
>>
>>48032622
But like anything labeled advanced dungeons and dragons, is like compatible/"""balanced""" to work together? Or would older stuff just need like tweaks to fit with 2nd edition AD&D?

in the end I'll probably just end up buying anything labeled with "AD&D" for simplicity
>>
>>48032742
It'd probably be as compatible as OD&D stuff would be with 5e.

Different editions are different games.
>>
>>48032742
There really wasn't a ton of difference between 1st ed and 2nd ed. Changes, sure, but no reason to think you would have trouble using most 2e stuff with 1e or the other way around.

In general, buy the 2e stuff.

What are you trying to do?
>>
>>48032934
>What are you trying to do?
Just collect some of the AD&D stuff whenever i find it cheap, wizard and bard handbook are already on the way, next purchase is probably the players handbook, already got the DMG 2nd edition in hardcover luckily.

Probably like 2 every 2 weeks with a pay check for like 20 bucks spent
>>
>>48032987
Get:
Campaign Sourcebook and Catacombe guide
Creative Campaigning
Wilderness Survival Guide
Dungeoneer's Survival Guide

Players handbook, DMG, monster manual are of course the places you start. But the four above have cross platform use.
>>
>>48028778
Whitebox (and it's supplements) extends of Chainmail. Basic Rules was a revision of Whitebox (et al.).
Expert Rules, Companion Rules, Master Rules, and Immortal Rules were each revisions and extension of the previous set.
All of that jazz is the "Basic" D&D line.

The "Advanced" D&D line was produced seperately from all that, but at essentially the same time.
AD&D has two (largely compatible) editions, but were only semi-compatible with the Basic Line.
>>
>>48034311
So anything AD&D then can be basically used together?
>>
>>48028778
Why did you start to collect them? WHY? Let me clue you in, fucko...

You started because AD&D is the BEST fucking swords and sorcery system since Charlemagne was crowned IRL. The fluff is ex-tra-ORD-in-ary, and the degree to which the writers faithfully captured medieval adventure, both high-and-low, has never been equalled in any system before or after. It is the Prime, which all others since have tried to copy, and all have failed, leaving the ashes of their hubris in remaindered books on Ebay. You started because you saw that it doesn't matter if it's Eberron, Kara-tur, or ANY of the Forgotten Realms series, you SAW something SPECIAL when you picked up the first book, and, like all the others with a heart and eyes to see, it claimed you. Or you it, whatevs. But the POINT, you half-broke apostate, is you saw QUALITY, AUTHENTICITY, and TALENT in AD&D, and having tasted the real, undiluted, medical-grade awesome of that setting, you KNEW you'd never be satisfied with anything less. So MAN UP, you sad-ass minimum wage retail McZombie, and pursue your passion like you GIVE A FUCK. One of these days, the AD&D meter in the world will go to zero, and when that time comes, you eternal man-child, like me, you'll be fine with it. You'll be fine 'cause you'll have the whole fucking set, preserved under glass in the man-cave you've turned your parents' garage into, where you weather that apocalypse like a MAN with your books, four friends, a handful of dice, and a case of Mountain Dew.

You grimy little shitstain, I'm so fucking proud of you....
>>
>>48034461
Second edition got published because Lorraine Williams had to pay Gary Gyagx royalties on first edition.
The books got extensively reorganized, but few mechanics were touched and they were barely touched.

You'll almost never need to make adjustments between 1st and 2nd, and they will always be small adjustments.
>>
File: dnd_editions.png (229 KB, 911x1470) Image search: [Google]
dnd_editions.png
229 KB, 911x1470
>>48028778
Here are the editions and when they came out. This should as answer your questions.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.