[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When is it considered okay to kill your players and have the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: Moandertcm2124376.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Moandertcm2124376.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
When is it considered okay to kill your players and have the campaign continue without them?

When it's near the end? In the very beginning?

How do you deal with a dead player, do they just sit there and wait it out?
>>
I don't get it. Why wouldn't they just roll a new character?
>>
>>48023169
He said kill the players anon, not their characters. You don't get to roll up a new character when you die in real life.
>>
ITT: Careless talk costs lives.

Learn the difference between "player" and "character", it could save you from 21 years in prison when wondering which one is acceptable to kill off.
>>
File: 1392023206581.png (880 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1392023206581.png
880 KB, 720x720
>>48023169
>End of campaign
>Final boss
Wouldn't it seem appropriate that player could die here?
>>
>>48023169
>>48023174
>>48023187
What i meant with player isn't of character is that the player would be permanent out of the game.
If the player could just spawn a new character in the mist of the final battle, all tension would be trivialized.
>>
>>48023119
Dead players rarely sit. They are generally sprawled on the floor, lifeless.
>>
>>48023205
>If the player could just spawn a new character in the mist of the final battle
If it's the final battle then the game would be over soon.
Who gives a shit if you kill someone then, they'll only sit out for a short time before the game is done.

Otherwise, when a player character dies mid-game and not end-game where it doesn't matter whydidyouaskthatquestionseriouslydudewhat just simply have them roll up a new character and introduce them naturally later on. It's not hard
I mean you could also be a total fucking asshole and make the player leave the game.
>>
>>48023119
>When is it considered okay to kill your players and have the campaign continue without them?
It isn't really okay... unless the player wants the character to die, that is. But killing them and then having them sit around and boondoggle is not okay: it's not fun for them and it's not fun for you, unless you hate them and in that case let me ask you: why the heck are you GMing for them?
>>
>>48023119

If a character dies, you usually give his player either a hook to let the party reviv esaid character, or you as a GM gives him the opportunity to create a new character to replace it.

This new character/resurrection will happen as soon as the party get to the closest city or place where either could happen. Meanwhile the dead player has to wait it out, and if rolling a new character trying to finish off the sheet/plot reason for him to join the original party.

Making a player wait out one session or so is fine, as long as you assure they're about to face the final boss and that's the end of the campaign. Other than that let him have a new character. Nothing worse than doing notwgile while other people are engaged and having fun around you.
>>
>>48023406
>It isn't really okay... unless the player wants the character to die

Pathetic.
>>
>>48023119
Hirelings.

If a PC buys it during play, their player can either play out the rest of the session as a hireling and roll a new character for next session; or quickly roll up a new PC while the game continues.

I've GMd a few games where a player took on the role of a hireling and developed that character into a memorable party member.
>>
>>48023454
>Pathetic.

Wow! What an argument! I am suddently convinced that killing player characters is totally fine and should not be discouraged!
>>
>>48023741
>It isn't really okay... unless the player wants the character to die
>unless the player wants the character to die
>>
>>48023760
I mean, if the player does something really stupid that warrants death, sure: let it be a consequence so that they learn not to take your game lightly.

But killing a group of rugged mercenaries/adventurers against a bunch of rag-tag group of cultists because they got lucky is very anti-climactic and should be avoided.

Then there's the whole thing about resurrecting dead characters: if that's a thing that's possible in your game, death loses all meaning and you can dish it out no problem. It will though, most likely, be a bit annoying for the player who has to sit through the rest of combat twiddling his thumbs.

And there are other arguments to be made against PC death and why it should be avoided when possible.
>>
>>48023119
when is it okay to kill them? Whenever they fuck up and get themselves killed, mostly.

Dead players should be making a stand in/their next character if a revive isn't available. Get them back in quickly with a prisoner plothook or something.

If the whole party dies, have the next one be set after their goal has failed, so maybe the BBEG is now in charge and they're rebels or something.
>>
>>48023804
>other arguments to be made
make them then
>>
File: Mr Rage sees all.jpg (149 KB, 783x535) Image search: [Google]
Mr Rage sees all.jpg
149 KB, 783x535
Generally speaking, it's not really allowed to kill your players at all.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.