[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Witches and Hags
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Baba Yaga by DrawingNightmare.jpg (264 KB, 432x700) Image search: [Google]
Baba Yaga by DrawingNightmare.jpg
264 KB, 432x700
How do you use witches in a fantasy setting where demons, dragons, and other monsters exist and still make them scary? I think the idea of a creepy old woman living in the woods is a great character archetype but in a world with so many other enormously horrifying threats, how do you give them their own distinctly horrific feel?
>>
>>48015847
Depends on the setting
>>
Cults like Wickerman shit where they plan to take over an entire village by convincing them that magic is not all that bad
>>
>>48015847
Watch the movie The VVitch. It's a really fantastic horror/period drama film about a witch in 1630s new England.
>>
Witches aren't meant to be a head-on threat the way demons, dragons, whatever are. There's plenty of ways for witches to fuck with lower-level characters, you just have to be a little creative with it and not treat them as just another head-on encounter.
>>
>>48015860
is this becoming a meme?
>>
File: 1449558634714.png (61 KB, 180x148) Image search: [Google]
1449558634714.png
61 KB, 180x148
>>48019681
No, it's literally the only correct answer to idiots spamming questions over and over again and not giving us enough information to give reliable answers back.

>Hey, Anon, I have 100,000 marklar, what kind of good gear can that get me on the planet Dangoresh?
Yeah, clearly you don't need to know what the fuck I'm talking about to answer.
>>
>>48020081

Pretty sure it's just you being a cancerous faggot.
>>
>>48020081

>shitposting is the only correct answer

never change, /tg/
>>
>>48015847
(un)natural auras of fear with increasing saves the higher the level.
a witch that literally turns the power of an enemy agains them. takes an extremely power will save to avoid.
>>
>>48020173
>>48020185
>Replies literally 61 seconds apart
>Poster count didn't go up.

OK, OP.
>>
>>48016061
I'd recommend Black Death over The Witch in this scenario, considering The Witch is primarily a religious drama.

>>48020173
Yes, it fucking matters. How you present something like this in D&D won't be the same as how you present it in an OSR game or a White Wolf game.
>>
>>48015847
I actually employ hags in D&D quite a bit, they're one of my favorite villains.
>>
>>48015847
Monsters can have character levels.
>>
>>48020450
Except that it does have a witch, and she's pretty horrific.
>>
>>48015847
I found the way they did the witches in Witcher 3 to be really awesome. Bog witches are cool, especially you generally never see them, but the villagers are all up for sacrificing children to them. It's also cool if they can shapeshift into beautiful frolicking maidens.
>>
>>48018352
Witches can totally be world-ending threats. You just need to up the stakes a bit, like for example making some spooky "ever-expanding bog mist" plot. Or just have them be like a high-level wizard with truly ridiculous magical power.

Think about Maleficient in Sleeping Beauty. She laid a whole kingdom to waste with her thorns. That's nothing to scoff at.
>>
>>48020450
I second your Black Death recommendation, though I'd say that's also a heavily religious movie.

>>48021276
Isn't witch just a character class?
>>
>>48015847
There are so many ways to do it.

Leaders of cults deep in the wilderness.
Crazy old psychopaths
Actual monsters that prey on isolated communities
Distrusted wise woman, that's still called on for her wares, that lives on the edge of the village who knows things she shouldn't.
Evil advisor to a leader.

Those dragons and demons are rare, while witches in all kinds of forms are a much closer threat.

>>48021691
In PF, yes. You can even have a Hag monster that has taken levels in witch to augment their already horrific powers. Annis hags with claws and skin of iron throwing hexes and debuffs is some scary shit.
>>
>>48015847
>how do you give them their own distinctly horrific feel?
check out gifauthors work, OP, if you want horrific
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.