[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how lethal do you like you're campaign
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1466481275372.jpg (202 KB, 571x714) Image search: [Google]
1466481275372.jpg
202 KB, 571x714
I've been with my group for about a year now
and none of my party's pcs have died, why most of my players get pissed when there pc is close to death, the wizard says she'll quit if her pc dies, now I'm fine with a less lethal game but its no fun with out any real danger
so what should I do?
>>
>>48007301
>you're
>there
>what should I do?

Stay in school
>>
>>48007301
You make it so that losing a fight doesn't always result in death.

Getting beaten unconscious to wake up in a slaver camp or find yourself being held for ransom by bandits sets the stage for some pretty fun escape plot-arcs, especially if you've got a rogue or other crafty character (or someone with alot of charisma to convince the other prisoners to revolt).
>>
>>48007472
I have something similar planed with a really tough enemy later in the campaign but my players have a habit of leging it when the shit hit the fan
>>
>>48007562
Sooo, your players are playing smart? That's hardly a bad thing. Running away is a perfectly legitimate strategy. I sorta wish my players would do it more often instead of committing to suicidal levels.

Another way to handle it, and kind of a mix of the previous idea, is to give the players an idea of a "death clock" ticking down. Like... if the bad guy takes the party prisoner, have one one of them dragged off for some sort of experiment or brainwashing... make it seem like saving them is suuuper important and needs to happen as quickly as possible, but secretly let them take as long as it takes for them to get it done (within reason). This even works with animal encounters and such. Party gets mauled, one of them wakes up a few hours later and it sore but fine... everyone else is still unconscious with some sort of fever. Better get to work on getting them somewhere safe and finding someone or something that can treat whatever terrible filthy animal disease is keeping them so hot they can barely breathe...
>>
>>48007612
Of course, accompany this with plenty of dice rolling and exaggerated reactions, as if you're actually rolling for their lives or deaths (even if you're just BS'ing it. Good GMs know when to BS).
>>
>>48007612
might be handy for the P.O.W thing I got planed
>>
>>48007301
>being unarmored is suicide
>open wounds are a bitch to deal with
>stuff dies instantly only if the damage comes in insane amounts , otherwise leave one or two turns to save them
>leave some kind of possiblity to "cheat" death , but with drawbacks that could be worse than a dead character (punching them below starting level after too many deaths , stat/skill loss, karmic retribution)

a good hit with a longsword drops you in 1 or 2 strikes when unarmored , and bloodloss kills you the next few minutes at normal human levels
>>
>>48007562

Use that, if they run it's a "loss", not nearly as bad as losing proper but leaving the bad guys alive allows them to do something else, and this threat can give dramatic tension.

Maybe the bad guys are about to attack some NPC villaige and by the time the party regroups they're about to set off to pillage and the party has one last chance to stop them. (And if they lose/run again, the defeated party is ignored as they go pillage instead).

Kiddnapping/slavers are another generic class of threat for this situation. If they party runs then they abandon the kidnapped victims, if they lose they are captured and (attempted to be) made into slaves allowing for more plot.
>>
>>48007301
End the campaign.
>>
My group likes high lethality so I've ran with it, a lot of it is intentional, first turn of the first encounter they came into had 2 critting heavy bow hits and dropped two players.

Since then I think 4 xharaihave died and many close to dying. About 5 sessions in. Almost a party wioe twice
>>
>>48007804
i tried something similar if they leave the dungeon I add new monsters in new places but I like you're plan better
>>
I always think the best way to produce demihuman children would be by cutting the uterus out of the body, and using spells to keep it preserved (maybe Cure Light Wounds?) and using Revivify repeatedly whenever the subject died. Then, the two uteri would be fused magically, so that the eggs were also fused and so they were hybrids of each other. Then a third sperm is added, thus allowing a human / elf / dwarf hybrid. Or some other combination of three races. it would be interesting, and open up hundreds of half-breeding possibilities, adding loads of new races to D&D. And all of them would be better than kender.
>>
>>48007965
O-O the fuck is he on about
>>
>>48007983
Lost from /d/ apparently...
>>
File: 1466794695124.jpg (1 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
1466794695124.jpg
1 MB, 3840x2160
>>48007983
nigger
>>
>>48008000
>>48008018
he seems to have gone mad must be the work of evil spirits
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.