[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/osrg/ OSR General - What's That Sound Edition?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57
File: Old_Smelly_Rags.png (3 KB, 300x210) Image search: [Google]
Old_Smelly_Rags.png
3 KB, 300x210
>Trove -- https://mega.nz/#F!3FcAQaTZ!BkCA0bzsQGmA2GNRUZlxzg!jJtCmTLA
>Useful Shit -- http://pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

Last Thread >>47902263
Has it been a week since the last thread? Am I blind?

Have you or your players ever really got scared of something in your games?
>>
File: 1461093953922.jpg (33 KB, 552x475) Image search: [Google]
1461093953922.jpg
33 KB, 552x475
>>47998654
Real life scared? I don't think so. Our characters have shat their pants a few times.
>>
>>47998654
OSR guys, what modern non-OSR game would you say gets closest to how you feel playing OSR? That might be a dumb question.
>>
>>47998898
People might hate me for saying this but Dungeon World.
>>
File: Massive Hexcrawl.png (2 MB, 1991x2420) Image search: [Google]
Massive Hexcrawl.png
2 MB, 1991x2420
Been planning a hexcrawl that can be used across multiple systems. Idea is that it is a full blown post-spell-apocalypse and only the four main races (or 4 human tribes if system does not use demihumans) have only just began to rebuild: Dwarves in their mountain fasts and have sheltered the last age decently; Halflings, former slaves and now freedmen, taking to swath of land and eager to make it their own; Elves having withdrawn almost entirely to an island off the coast, few interested in the wider world; and Humans, fecund and eager to grow and defend their new kingdom in the south.

Idea is that the first few levels involve going through the human kingdom as errand boys for the local lord. Eventually they need to strike out to retrieve things, push back monsters, eventually explore and learn why the spell-apocalypse occurred, establish treaties, establish domains, and take on might foes aplenty.

Anyway, I have the map here but no write up (all on paper, not on the computer yet) but if you all want to steal it and use it, go ahead.
>>
>>47999319
>Halflings, former slaves
What would halfling saves be beneficial for? Or were they just the easiest race to enslave? And was the pre-civilization one of the four or a lost race? Sounds like it might be cool.
>>
>>47998898
DnD 5e. Except for the character creation.
>>
>>47999439
>Or were they just the easiest race to enslave?
This. the Human Empire, which held the vast majority of the land held them as slaves since they were easily physically dominated. They made good farm and house slaves for the most part. Elves were aloof but had a minor kingdom and interacted with humans at arm's length. Dwarves got on decently with the former human empire, but didn't like their more cruel tendencies (enslavement for one thing). In the years since the collapse, most of humanity huddled in small towns and villages in the south (with some in the north as well, but rarer). Cruel monsters, foul beasts and unknown horrors came to control most of the former empire's lands, blighting large swaths as well.
>>
>>47999535
This. Me and my group ban feats and use older modules for play. It's quite solid and enjoyable for the most part, especially since rules bloat seems to be fairly minimal right now.
>>
File: regionmap.png (1012 KB, 1692x1760) Image search: [Google]
regionmap.png
1012 KB, 1692x1760
>>47999319
Wow, that's a beautiful map. Did you generate yours and then sculpt it or did you build that from scratch?

Here's mine. 1 individual hex is 1.2 miles. What's the scale on yours?
>>
So I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to play in a hex crawl. Any good books on how to run one well so I might have a chance of running one some day?
>>
>>47999610
Really good resource: https://www.reddit.com/r/itmejp/comments/2idf33/west_marches_resources/
>>
>>47999674
Would you suggest reading or listening to them play West Marshes?

If listening, know a good way to turn Youtube into audio only files?
>>
File: 1452606623428.jpg (117 KB, 610x457) Image search: [Google]
1452606623428.jpg
117 KB, 610x457
>>47999586
From scratch. Started with the coast, then I did the mountains. Everything else just kind flowed from there naturally.
>>
So, I'm a graphical design student, and I'm an OSR player too. This semester our final assignment will be designing an entire book from scratch. The content can be anything we want, we can copy from existing texts or just make up our own, the assignment is about editorial design, the writing doesn't matter.

I choose to make an OSR-inspired player's handbook, using modern design philosophies with retro aesthetics, kinda like most OSR books already do, like LOTFP and ACKS.

I was wondering if anyone here who already had a finished ruleset, or at least with enough content to fill a book, wanted to partner up and let me use the rules to make you a neat little book. I'll do it for free, since it's for an assignment, and it doesn't matter at all if the rules are good or shit or whatever, it's just filler, really.

If anyone's interested I'll give you my Skype and will explain thing more clearly.
>>
File: 01 Cover2.png (3 MB, 1167x1654) Image search: [Google]
01 Cover2.png
3 MB, 1167x1654
https://www.docdroid.net/kHgwIZv/rotdp.pdf.html

looking for advice or input on my post-apocalyptic LotFP reskin/homebrew/whatever.

it essentially takes parts from LotFP, S&W and Mutant Future.
>>
>>47999711
You might learn a little from watching them. There's also a video of him preparing the next adventure.

Google YouTube to MP3.
>>
>>47999711
I'd just read the stuff, personally.
>>
>>47999794
That sounds awesome, but I'm sadly far away from having a complete rule-set.
>>
File: Slugs.jpg (42 KB, 226x320) Image search: [Google]
Slugs.jpg
42 KB, 226x320
is there a PDF or even a scan of Slügs?
>>
File: TheDude.jpg (28 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
TheDude.jpg
28 KB, 300x300
>>47998919

Nah, I'm an old grognard who's in agreement with that. And if some dudes on the internet don't like what you and I like, who cares?.
>>
File: cantrips.png (571 KB, 1422x912) Image search: [Google]
cantrips.png
571 KB, 1422x912
I want to add simple cantrips to LotFP or B/X.

If I added the BtW cantrips to the game, and allowed MUs to use only the INT check ones, and Clerics to only use the WIS check ones, would that be good?
>>
>>47999586
Oh, and derp, I forgot my hex size. It's 6 mile hexes. That makes this 60x60 map about 129600 square miles, or somewhat larger than the state of New Mexico.
>>
>>48001151
I'm not seeing an issue with it.
>>
>>48001708
Ah, that's what I was thinking. The large hexes in my map represent 6 miles as well. In total it's about 900 square miles. I was going to make a region map after I finished populating this one.
>>
>>48001772
Interesting! I was just looking over the map stuff on hexographer and trying to figure out how to do those large overlay hexes. Do you use hexographer or something else?
>>
>>47999575

See, you OSR fags are all the same. I bet you can't even defend why you don't use feats.

> inb4 "because I feel like it"

Not a reason, faggot. Every action has more reason to it. If you say "because I feel like it" that has a reason behind it as well. And that reason is, you can't let go of the past. You literally strawman 4e as your defense for insistently playing these old-ass games, when far better ones have been created.

Let me list just a few, so you can catch a glimpse of the fucking UNIVERSE you people are missing by burying your heads in your asses:

> Dread
> Apocalypse World
> Dungeon World
> Mouse Guard
> Eclipse Phase
> Delta Green
> GURPS
> Call of Cthulu
> Numenera
> Star Wars Edge of the Empire

All of these are FANTASTIC games that you will never get anywhere close to because you are too busy fellating a game style that betrayed you 16 years ago. Time to move on, boys.
>>
>>47999711

youtube-mp3.org

Works well, but only for up to 20 minutes. Past that.... keepvid? Snipmp3? Dunno, do what the other anon said and google it.
>>
File: tumblr_o4as1zWwdq1sndzdgo1_540.jpg (122 KB, 540x608) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4as1zWwdq1sndzdgo1_540.jpg
122 KB, 540x608
>>48001937
I play those games, too. But I enjoy OSR systems the most. Simple, quick and by far they reward creativity more than any system I've ever used.

Also cause I feel like it.
>>
>>48001937
>Dread

Full fucking retard, no one cares about jenga simulation.

>x World

Narrativism isn't for everyone.

>Mouse Guard

Anthropomorphic animals aren't for everyone.

>Delta Green, GURPS

May be okay

>EP

Hyper political sci fi isn't everyone's cup of tea.

>Call of Cthulhu

Too silly and randumb for my tastes. "You see a weird thing! unlike Professor Armitage, you go KWAZY!"

>Numenera

Like most Monte Cook stuff it doesn't look very promising.

I personally like feats in 5e (although the feat-human makes me cringe due to how overpowered it is).

The way your feelings are so badly hurt seems to cloud your judgment, though.
>>
>>48002100
>Narrativism isn't for everyone.

Yes it is. That is EXACTLY what you are doing when you are playing an RPG. Dungeon World just takes away all that other crap that you don't need, and focuses on facilitating the story (which is the important part)
>>
>>48001937
>>48002299

I know this is b8 but;

People can like more than one thing. You should know that.
>>
>>4800229

> That is EXACTLY what you are doing when you are playing an RPG.

99% of the time, I'm roleplaying, and I don't need to concern myself with sheer pretentiousness like meta mechanics and "the story."

Likewise, as a DM, whether or not you intend to tell a story, one will be told nonetheless. Its like magic; storylines arise on their own and are generally just as good whether or not they emerge on their own.

I would even daresay that emergent storylines are superior to intentional ones.

Roleplaying >>>>>>>>>> storytelling.
>>
>>48002299

Some people like challenge and don't care that much about story. This is why John Wick freaks out about why the Tomb of Horrors is the worst module of all time. It isn't, it's very challenging with very little story, and some people love it for what it is.

Inb4 "but that's not real roleplaying"
>>
>>48002532
>This is why John Wick freaks out about why the Tomb of Horrors is the worst module of all time.
Wick does Tomb of Horrors shit even if he doesn't want to accept it. One kills you with a dungeon trap you didn't notice, the other does it with slow-acting poison you took from a Scorpion courtier without noticing.
>>
File: TheBlackHack.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
TheBlackHack.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here's the Black Hack for you broke assholes that don't have $2.
>>
>>48002557
I personally think Tomb of Horrors is only "bad" due to poor communication between DM and players, like a lot of players expect the DM to WANT them to engage the dungeon, and not to aggressively bypass it to the best of their abilities.

Once you understand that, it becomes much easier. There isn't even much in the way of enemies that can "come and get you."
>>
File: Character Sheet-1.png (381 KB, 1197x1686) Image search: [Google]
Character Sheet-1.png
381 KB, 1197x1686
>>48002675
Character Sheet
>>
File: Sample Character Sheet-1.png (804 KB, 1166x1654) Image search: [Google]
Sample Character Sheet-1.png
804 KB, 1166x1654
>>48002675
Sample Character Sheet
>>
>>48002532
>Inb4 "but that's not real roleplaying"

Just because you inb4 it, doesn't mean it's not true.

it is true. You are not really roleplaying when you play Tomb of Horrors. You are playing a board game. Deal with it.
>>
>>48002851
I'm curious on your stance with LotFP adventures.
>>
>>48002851
>if you're roleplaying in a scenario that hurts my feelings, its not REAL roleplaying
>>
File: Wizard and Opossum.jpg (50 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Wizard and Opossum.jpg
50 KB, 600x450
Alternatives to Vancian spell casting in OSR, please. Or rather something without spell slots.

Either something printed or something you've seen/made yourself, please.
>>
>>48001851
This guy has hexographer templates: http://www.welshpiper.com/hex-templates/

I'd also recommend his guides: http://www.welshpiper.com/hex-based-campaign-design-part-1/
>>
>>48001937

lol, what if I'm playing an osr monster that uses PBTA 2d6 partial successes, Beyond The Wall/apocalypse world playbooks, Further Afield and The Quiet Year for campaign building, Scarlet Heroes to save time on mobs/3 players, and modified Numenera cyphers as magic items?

Also, a bunch of the shit you listed has nothing to do with narrative, nore are they fantastic games. GURPS, Eclipse Phase and Numenera in particular have shit clunky mechanics. CoC is terribly put together to actually convey lovecraftian themes. Dungeon World has some okay shit, but does some bad design with HP, bonds, move design, etc.

You that retard that's been pretending to be a DW shill lately?
>>
>>48003005
I really like the spell points variant in 3.5's Unearthed Arcana. More flexibility, but first 1/3rd of your daily spell points can be spent normally, second 1/3rd fatigues you, last 1/3rd exhausts you.

Takes 1 hour of rest to remove exhaustion, or another hour (two total in any case) to remove fatigue. Getting the last third of your spell points back requires an additional 6 hours (or 8 total in any case).

Anything that causes fatigue or exhaustion likewise reduces your spell points. I like this in conjunction with Vitality & Wound Points, because then simply one wound point of damage cuts a mage's spell points in half.
>>
>>48003005
I dunno if it really qualifies as OSR, but Shadow of the Demon Lord has a system I find kind of neat; instead of having to prepare spells, you have a number of castings per spell per day based on the spells level and your Power(a characteristic that could easily be swapped for Int/Wis in an OSR game, since it's mostly just a measure of how powerful the given character's magic is).

To quote the book:
>if you have Power 2 and know two rank 0 spells, one rank 1 spell, and one rank 2 spell, you have three castings of each rank 0 spell, two castings of the rank 1 spell, and one casting of the rank 2 spell.
>>
File: The Class Hack.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Class Hack.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48002675
The Class Hack (unofficial)
>>
File: The Class Hack 2.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Class Hack 2.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48002675
>>48003261
The Class Hack 2 (unofficial)
>>
File: The Race Hack.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
The Race Hack.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48002675
>>48003261
>>48003280
The Race Hack (unofficial)
>>
>>48003101
>You that retard that's been pretending to be a DW shill lately?

Yep, that's virt. He's been doing that shit today, along with posting his usual stupid opinions: >>48002906
>>
>>47998898
Apocalypse World and great Story Games in general have a very specific structure and procedures of play.

By-the-Book B/X, OD&D and anything before AD&D have a very specific structure and procedures of play.

It doesn't feel the same, but they're games that really know what they're about.
>>
>>48003005
Take a look at DCC spellcasting system.
>>
What are rules from other (modern) systems you've ripped and put into your games? Not just players facing systems, I'm also curious as a GM.
>>
>>48001937

>can't defend why you don't use feats

Hmm, well, I'm not that anon, and I'm not even sure I would use the feat variant from 5e if I were running, but...

... Feats, at least pre-5e, were a mess. Feat chains in particular, where you had to pay "taxes" to get feats that were worth using was terrible design.

On top of that, feats in general are a way of cordoning off a part of the rules and saying "you cannot do this" or "you can try it, but you'll suck at it." Neither of which I find appealing in my own games.

>far better ones have been created

I'd say that's a matter of taste, anon. I think you just don't like having to rely solely on imagination and player agency, and would rather have a mechanical aspect to fall back on during play so that you can directly control what's going on. And more power to you. I don't need bennies, or action points, or any other meta-currencies to have a good time.

>x World

Not for me. As I said, I'd prefer relying solely on player agency to tell the story.

>Mouse Guard

I'm not really a Redwall fan, but I might give it a try one of these days. One of my players wants to run it, and when he does, I'll make a character.

>Eclipse Phase

I could play a lot of other scifi games anon. What makes this one more interesting than the next one?

>Delta Green, Call of Cthulhu

CoC? The "you go mad if you see Mythos creatures: the meme" game? Where it fundamentally misunderstands the source material and codifies it into game mechanics? Nah. No thanks.

>Numenera

Monte Cook isn't worth my time.

>Anything Star Wars

How this franchise still appeals to grown ass adults, I'll never know. And yeah, you can houserule it to not be Star Wars, but if that's the case, why not play a different scifi game altogether?

I'm not sure why you're so insistent that us OSR guys should stop supporting what we like, and should stop playing what we like. It's like telling someone they should play Skyrim because Morrowind is shit.
>>
>>48002675

This is actually really awesome. Thanks!
>>
>>48001937
But all those games are shit anon

If you want to teach OSRfags a lesson, you should try posting something better, instead of schlock
>>
>>48004575
>>48004612
Why are you feeding the troll? Stop feeding the troll.
>>
>>48004460
I tried using the DCC spellcasting system for one of my characters in a BFRPG campaign. The spellcaster had a +6 to all her spell rolls but consistently failed them because most spells fail on a 11-12 or less. She was useless. I've decided I'm just going to use the DCC spell manifestation table and leave everything else alone. Magic Missile should be an automatic hit.
>>
File: Magic system dice 2.png (8 KB, 181x199) Image search: [Google]
Magic system dice 2.png
8 KB, 181x199
Reposting my magic user concept.

Each magic user unlocks point in mystery 'schools' or magical 'paths' as they level, starting with 1 at level 1, and going up as they grow in power and experience.

Each dot represents a roll under roll to successful cast a spell on a target with resistance. (ie; target is an enemy, target is an object owned by someone else, spell is cast in a zone protected by a ward or superstitious folk magicks, etc.)

Also, each dot represents on 'feature' of the magic as well. So for charms, which is light utility magic, each charm point counts as having 1 extra passive charm effect on you or a location over time. Each point in transformation is how many hours per day you can transform, things of that nature.

Does this make sense?
>>
>>47998919
Nah, I think that's a much fairer statement than saying that it *is* an OSR game is.
>>
>>48004702
Why not lowering it to 8 or 10 for success then? Me and my friends use the DCC system when playing BFRPG, but instead of not being able to cast a spell if ypu fail a spellcheck you get -1 to the next spellcheck instead.
>>
>>48003005
I'd have to double check, but Microlite 74(and presumably the 75, 78, and 81 versions as well) uses a relatively non Vancian spell casting system
>>
anyone got a copy of Other Dust, it's not in the Trove
>>
>>48005305
oh and Starvation Cheap as well
>>
>>48002675

Thanks anon!
>>
>>48001937
>See, you OSR fags are all the same. I bet you can't even defend why you don't use feats.

ACKS has feats.

Checkmate atheist.
>>
>>48005305
>>48005317
Starvation Cheap:
Other Dust: https://dropfile.to/KLKoXZv

Other Dust:
https://dropfile.to/4p5Fg71

Calling Troveguy to add these.
>>
>>48005873
LOL, that really got me. Don't know why, but I find that funny.
>>
>>48002299
>it's a Dungeon World troll

Here's your reply, please fuck off now.
>>
>>48005873

I really like the ACKS implementation of feats. They're not essential, but they can add a few little extra bits and bobs to your characters to make them unique, or to excel in a particular area while not locking you into feat chain bullshit or restricting what other classes can or can't do.
>>
>>48005873
Really? I'm going to have to reread it then, I completely missed those.
>>
>>47999554
>3-foot tall midgets
>good for farm labor

Stop.

>>48003101
>GURPS
>shit clunky mechanics

Only someone literally retarded would find 3d6 roll under (for pretty much everything) and 3d6 roll over (for attacks and reactions) to clunky.
>>
>>48009422
What? They are based on hobbits more than anything and hobbits were some really, really good farmers.
>>
>>48009422
>>3-foot tall midgets
>>good for farm labor
Hm? What's the problem here? They are weaker, but they also eat less food. And a lot depends on specifics.
>>
>>48002675
I really like this. I wish it didn't use spell slots but hacking in some MP system should be easy. I'm definitely buying this soon to support Black.

>>48003280
Animator, Knight, and Psionicist are neat.
Thaumaturgist/Occultist is literally unfinished, are you fucking serious? Racial classes are uninspired garbage.
Not even worth a pirate.

>>48003261
>Cavalier gets refered to as "Paladin" in his text

JUST

>>48003297
This one is actually decent and has some nice options. I'll buy this one too.

>>48009445
>>48009564
Hobbits couldn't do plantation-style labor.
>>
File: scully.gif (926 KB, 500x579) Image search: [Google]
scully.gif
926 KB, 500x579
>>48009422
>Only someone literally retarded would find 3d6 roll under (for pretty much everything) and 3d6 roll over (for attacks and reactions) to clunky.

Don't be deliberately obtuse. He clearly wasn't talking about the core resolution mechanic.
You could just as truthfully say Pathfinder isn't clunky because it's all just d20 rolls for stuff.
>>
>>48009601

what if it was a crop that grew really low to the ground? Like clover.

>Northern red haired littlepeople enslaving the hobbits to farm their luck.
>>
>>48009601
>Hobbits couldn't do plantation-style labor
Who said it'd be plantation work? Smaller farms are what dominate the landscape.
>>
>>48009601
> Hobbits couldn't do plantation-style labor.
Uh. What?

Spell it out for me. I'm being very confused here.
>>
File: shinobi__samurai_1.1.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
shinobi__samurai_1.1.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Troveguy should add Shinobi and Samurai. Ruins and Ronin is meh but this one is cool.
>>
File: shinobi__samurai_companion.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
shinobi__samurai_companion.pdf
1 B, 486x500
The Companion, with the skill system, races, honor system and the yakuza class.
>>
And the character sheet with skills.
>>
>>48006407
thanks

>>48008775
agreed, that and how FantasyCraft does them are the two best ways to implement Feats in a D&D style system
>>
>>48011865

FantasyCraft is like the one d20 system I actually think is good.

Like, I enjoy a lot of d20 systems, but they're mostly pretty shit, from a game design standpoint, but FantasyCraft is actually a really neatly designed system.
>>
Which OSR systems have magic that isn't all that vancian? I checked out Dungeon Crawl Classics and now I'm looking for more.
>>
>>48012467

The Back Hack, posted in this thread earlier, has a neat little magic system.

Basically you have leveled spell slots, and each time you cast a spell, you roll against your INT. If you pass, nothing happens, if you fail, you lose a spell slot of that level.

So basically you can keep casting as long as you still have spell slots.
>>
What do you guys use to manage campaign notes? I started with a one-shot of Death Frost Doom, but my group got split and now I have enough material to plan a campaign around. Are notebooks still the best (I have a hardon for analog) or is there a computer-based solution that beats it? I wasn't a huge fan of Evernote, I liked Obsidian Portal, if you want to give a recommendation, but really I just want to know what you grognards use.
>>
Why does LotFPs magic section not mention anything about Blesses' other uses aside from a temporary boost?
>>
>>48013356
I'm looking at the book right now, and I'm kind of surprised I missed it before. I suppose one could take the first sentence ("This spell bestows the favor of the Cleric's deity upon the subject") to allow it other uses.
>>
>>48001937
Kindly go fuck yourself you smarmy, condescending faggot.
>>
>>48003005
>>48005217
Microlite is a cast from HP system. Costs 1 hp + spell level x2 hp. Choose one spell per new spell level that is favoured so it costs 1 less hp to cast that particular spell.

Do note that in Microlite everyone uses 1d6 hit die so this rule would be more restricting if your system's MUs have 1d4 hit die.
>>
>>48008775
Are you referring to proficiencies in ACKS? They kind of ruined the system for me although I love everything else the game does.

Feats tended to give you a new tool or ability in combat or something really unique for out of combat play, but ACKS mixes it with very mundane things like gambling, caving, and brewing. So while in other OSR systems a player could have his own backstory and the GM would consider the character's abilities appropriately the proficiencies seem to kill that so you can't just say "I'm adventuring to feed my gambling habit" and instead have to take the Gambling proficiency. Even having a backstory as simple as being a farmer seems to require you take the Labor proficiency rather than one actually useful for adventuring.

I really want to like the whole of ACKS though so please refute my points! I will also agree that I like how they remain fairly simple and don't chain go crazy with special powers which keeps it "OSR" in my eyes.
>>
>>48013417
Since its often used to invite evil items and whatnot, it seems like a preeeeeeeety big thing to not mention, haha.
>>
>>48014156
Uncurse, not invite
>>
>>48014156

Not in LotFP, which is why it's not mentioned.
>>
>>48014418
The Death Frost Doom module (arguably the most definitive LotFP adventure) certainly states otherwise.
>>
>>48015144

Actually the module predates the system, it was made for OSR systems in general.
>>
File: 3360639_orig.jpg (13 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
3360639_orig.jpg
13 KB, 194x259
What is your favorite spells per day table? I kinda like LotFP's system because it lets First Level spells be the most common at 9 per day at level 20. What about yourself?
>>
Someone can suggest a Elite Array to use with OSR games like Guardians, Black Hack or any other who uses 3d6 to roll Attributes?

I going to make a pbf and don't want to deal with dice rolling for now.
>>
16, 14, 13, 10 and 9.
>>
>>48016197
Try this:
Get a deck of cards. Get three of each: 6, 5, 4, 3 and 2. Get two 1's. Shuffle and let the players draw three cards and add the numbers for each ability score.
>>
>>48016289
Playing online, so... no cards. But thanks for the suggestions.
>>
>>48016256
Its missing one attribute...
>>
File: random but fair attributes.png (136 KB, 1240x1116) Image search: [Google]
random but fair attributes.png
136 KB, 1240x1116
>>48016310
I see. Would this help then?
>>
>>48016353
Yes, its helps.
>>
File: dfdv2curseditems.png (22 KB, 284x161) Image search: [Google]
dfdv2curseditems.png
22 KB, 284x161
>>48015241
The second version, which was published a couple of years ago, straight-up quotes the original word-for-word when it comes to using Bless on the cursed items.
>>
>>48004575
>It's like telling someone they should play Skyrim because Morrowind is shit.
I've heard people argue this.

Personally I like Daggerfall, but I suck at it and have never gotten very far.
>>
>>48012842

For digital notes, I use Zim Desktop Wiki. It's cross platform and lets you hyperlink your notes. Pretty handy.

>>48013607

Don't feed the troll, anon.
>>
>>48013923
Can't say anything about ACKS, but I liked NWP in 2e ADnD. Helped me feel like my character was more than just a collection of adventuring/combat stats.
>>
File: tumblr_mo5g2l2WKH1rd6aubo1_1280.jpg (100 KB, 640x525) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mo5g2l2WKH1rd6aubo1_1280.jpg
100 KB, 640x525
What is your favorite OSR system? I've been using BFRPG but I'm looking more and more at DCC and Dark/Darker Dungeons.
>>
>>48018593
Heroes & Other Worlds
>>
File: slowed progression sample.png (8 KB, 361x507) Image search: [Google]
slowed progression sample.png
8 KB, 361x507
>>48015326
Personally, I like the idea of a slowed progression with more spells upfront (even if some of them are dinky cantrips).
>>
>>48018593
I prefer cobbling together bits of different systems, but I'd go for B/X if I had to commit. I'm not a fan of the crunchier stuff like AD&D or DCC.
>>
>>48018593

My own. #owtheedge
>>
File: happy-beholder.jpg (754 KB, 657x852) Image search: [Google]
happy-beholder.jpg
754 KB, 657x852
>>48018593
this reminds me. I'm looking for some good OSR inspiring commics/graphic novels. help a guy out.
>>
File: Headlopper_02-1.png (175 KB, 585x900) Image search: [Google]
Headlopper_02-1.png
175 KB, 585x900
>>48019487

Head Lopper

Savage Sword of Conan

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
>>
>>48018593
ACKs, DCC, LotFP, BtW. Each one builds off of classic rules while managing to do something interesting and fun. They feel like their own whole games, not just tired retreads.
>>
Paging TroveGuy for new content

New upload: my.mixtape.moe/gujolj.pdf

Caveat: I'm not sure it's cleaned, but then again, it might not even be watermarked in the first place. Even if it is, it's to a throwaway email account anyway.
>>
What is a good osr solution to making crits more interesting than +damage but not cumbersome like DCC crit tables?
>>
>>48020025
You uploaded a sample pdf.

Tight.
>>
File: LotFP Crit & Fumble (Lo-Res).pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
LotFP Crit & Fumble (Lo-Res).pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48020111
I made one for LotFP. Raggi also has suggestions for crits in one of the Green Devil zines.
>>
Anyone here got the fucking chained coffin content in pdf? Just ordered the physical but I dont want to take the shrink wrap off the box.

Dungeon Crawl Classics. :)
>>
>>48020172
Yeah, it's in the 5th one.
>>
File: 1371982266871.jpg (126 KB, 456x447) Image search: [Google]
1371982266871.jpg
126 KB, 456x447
>>48013923
>please refute my points!

Since you asked so nicely I'll take a crack at it.

The non-combat feats aren't as essential as other editions where it's clearly a loss. Since the power scale is so low, I mean it's OSR, if you're going to die that +1 won't save you. So hunting through huge lists of feats isn't really a problem.

It allows you to have some level of mechanical reinforcement for, what can amount to personality traits, while not going full on FATE levels. It also sort of adds a soft transition for people coming from 3.x and 4e and to a lesser extent 2e with the NWPs. Where as in something like B/X you may just as well be Bob 3, instead of Bob specialized in Missile Weapons. Since your only mechanical reinforcement will be the stats you rolled up.

It's a middle ground for mechanical depth that is fairly balanced, but also could be easy to ignore since most of the consequential choices are already baked into the class pick itself. No feat is going to make rogues as good as fighters in combat. So it adds that mechanical distinction without interfering with class niche protection.

Some like, it was either caving or mapping just add a quality of life improvement. I like the *idea* of mapping out dungeons, but really can't be arsed most of the time. So having that compromise of a feat and just being able to ask if we back tracked that last corridor since we got sidetracked talking about how much better ACKS is for not having halflings or some shit.
>>
>>48020709

Same to be quite honest, family.
>>
>>48012842

Index cards. Most osr monsters, items, npcs, characters, locations, etc can take up an index card. I use them for chunks of dungeons, table, lists of names, all kinds of stuff. Also fun to doodle a sketch on the back and hand them out to players if they get that item or kill that monster.
>>
>>48019487
Orc Stain
Shotaro Ishinomori's LoZ: A Link To The Past adaptation
Usagi Yojimbo
Cerebus The Aardvark
Prince of Sartar
He-Man & The Masters of The Universe Mini-Comic Collection
>>
>>48020025
> it might not even be watermarked in the first place
"Sample file" is stamped on every page.

And the number of pages is 25 (out of 108 in table of contents).

Did you pay money for this, anon?
>>
>>48020111
I made a numbered list, 1-10 for slashing, bludgeon, piercing, brawling, and magic damage. It's all on two sheets for my players to roll on. 10 always results in death, a 1 is just a bonus 4 points of damage. My personal favorite (and I don't have it in front of me, I'm posting from memory) is #9 for Brawling - You strike a pose, go 'Ora ora ora ora ora!' and make 5 attacks in a row.
>>
File: Prophet_45-1.png (185 KB, 477x734) Image search: [Google]
Prophet_45-1.png
185 KB, 477x734
>>48019487

Prophet. Its more sword & planet but has a lot of weird/gonzo science fantasy stuff going on.

>>48021100
Seconding orc stain too. Pretty much how I run orcs now. Art style is insane too.
>>
>>48021365

Prophet is amazing, but I stopped reading around the time Old prophet teams up with a female alien assassin to invade a palace.

Did it get any good after that?
>>
File: tumblr_nskgorEgGj1rbyvsmo7_400.jpg (47 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nskgorEgGj1rbyvsmo7_400.jpg
47 KB, 400x350
>>48021383

I like it. Does more of the same though. Melodramatic space opera in a variety of settings constantly alluding to a larger world with a weird sort of sadness thrown in if you catch the references to the original Prophet series.

Forgot about Fell's Five also. Its sort of 4th edition DnD but the comic is a lot of fun, has a cute group dynamic.
>>
>>48021436
>if you catch the references to the original Prophet series.

I never bothered to read it, everyone kept telling me the new one had nothing to do with it.

Should I check it out before (re)reading the new series?
>>
>>48021480

Its not that long, there's still new stuff coming out. I read comic when I'm hung over, so its not too challenging to get through. The series doesn't have much to do with old Image stuff, just some characters who were immortal and got really weird and sad over time. Also some future geometic bugs are using Image's ultrasuperman's exploded body as a power source for their empire.
>>
>>48016353
Updated version that covers racial adjustments.
>>
>>48019487
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser was mentioned already, and it's probably the very best comic. Donjon/Dungeon is also pretty good IMO if you can put up with the bad art.
>>
>>48020172
Thanks man. That helped a lot. I'll likely modify those tables to my own tastes, but I think a d12 table strikes a good balance that can cover most critical hit type situations.
>>
>>48004835
It does. This sounds cool, I'd be interested in a write-up.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (33 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
33 KB, 480x360
>>48018593
Right now I'm just using LotFP (B/X) while taking random stuff from other systems, like single saves from S&W, magic from DCC and character creation from Beyond the Wall.

>>48019487
I've always felt Multiforce has some sort of classic D&D feel.
>>
>>48021100
> Orc Stain
Didn't it get dropped after 7 issues?
>>
>>48018593
I really dig 7 Voyages of Zylarthen. I was always more of a vanilla OD&D guy (with the occasional bit or two thrown in from the supplements, but nothing major), but I don't think I've ever really seen a better clone of OD&D that not only remains strikingly true to the source material, but expands on it in some interesting, and in my opinion, incredibly well-executed ways. I've started using Zylarthen more often than OD&D now, especially since none of my players ever want to play a Cleric.
>>
>>48002675
>>48002736
>>48002756
>>48003261
>>48003280
>>48003297
My mandingo comrade.
>>
>>48023714
> 7 Voyages of Zylarthen
Is it in Trove?
>>
>>48023473
On hiatus, but Stokes is going to release the next two together, whenever he can be bothered to finish it.
>>
Hey guys, did anyone ever write up spells in a one-sentence format? Some sort of minimalist spell list, perhaps?
>>
>>48024894
Yeah, right at the top. There's a few errors in the books that have yet to be corrected, and since it's relatively obscure as far as OSR games go, I had to compile a list of the errata into a (crude) PDF myself.
>>
>>48020160
>>48021108
Top fuckin' score. I totally forgot to update my bookmark after getting the actual one.

Hahahahaa holy shit I'm retarded. Sorry about that.

ACTUAL link to upload: my.mixtape.moe/hwhpro.pdf
>>
>>48025049
Look at the Black Hack PDF posted earlier.
>>
>>48023714
>>48025051

Thanks for sharing. I don't often look in the trove, but I downloaded all the Zylarthen stuff off of Lulu. I can't wait to give it read.
>>
>>48025516
All hail the bringer of books!

Now I just need Dungeonteller to complete my world domination project.
>>
>>48025516
I'm on phone currently. Can I just ask what the pdf is?
>>
>>48026190
neoclassical greek revival
>>
>>48026263
Mmmm, you're a good man
>>
File: 1465252599547.jpg (79 KB, 600x439) Image search: [Google]
1465252599547.jpg
79 KB, 600x439
Is there such a thing as OSR character sheets with neat art but no text so you can edit it to your liking?
>>
>>48026311
Not me. I just looked to see what it was. But I'll forward your praise to >>48025516
>>
>>48026452
Gimme one you like and I'll remove the text and replace it with whatever you like
>>
>>48026622
Thanks for the offer, but I'm actually not sure what I want on it yet because I'm still working on the system. I also don't really have any good looking sheets, that's part of the reason I asked here.
>>
>>48026873
Actually, if you want custom sheets one day when you're ready, just post here again and I can try making some hand-drawn looking ones.
Enjoying the process far too much after all.
>>
>>48026990
That's very nice of you. I'll remember to post here if I ever manage to get shit done.
>>
>>48020709
Well I have to say you've largely convinced me. While I still prefer just having the player declare their character history and give them ad hoc bonuses I suppose having definite mechanical bonuses without it getting too crazy is a benefit. I've always been more lax with things though so I'd prefer to just say "sure your character can do that" as opposed to making a roll like in more modern games. Still, it's not a big deal and along with all the other benefits you've mentioned I think I'll be making ACKS my go to game.

>how much better ACKS is for not having halflings
Ha! I'm afraid I agree with this.
>>
>>48027377
Wait, ACKS has no halflings???
>>
>>48022213

Donjon doesn't have bad art, it's just a weird style. It's actually quite well done.
>>
>>48027689
Yeah, what a revolutionary concept, eh? The Player's Companion does have rules for making new classes/races so you can always add them back in.
>>
File: rabbit wizard.jpg (35 KB, 450x348) Image search: [Google]
rabbit wizard.jpg
35 KB, 450x348
>>48028111
I plan on using those rules to introduce two new races, the Bunnits (rabbit halfling folk) and catfolk (playing up as many cringeworthy tropes as possible with them to make them the joke race, the butt end of jokes everywhere and the one race every other race can say "at least I'm not that!")
>>
>>48028260
> what could go wrong?
Fixed that for you.
>>
File: 1440120252069-0.jpg (309 KB, 800x815) Image search: [Google]
1440120252069-0.jpg
309 KB, 800x815
>>48028260
>Rabbits as halflings
Why does this work so well, anyways? Seems like a bunch of people are making halflings into bunnyfolk.
Mine ride giant snails everywhere.
>>
>>48028111
I'm mostly shocked because I read through the damn book and never noticed they lacked halflings
>>
>>48022990

Working on it!
>>
>>48028421
>Live in burrows
>Constantly in the garden
>Can be very sneaky
I have no clue why rabbit halflings work so well...
>>
>>48028474
Hobbits are kind of forgettable, really. It's in their nature.

Also they're an extremely specific literature reference when compared to, say, the Elves and Dwarves who are fairly generic-ish or the Magic-User who are a hodge-podge of various wizards throughout media.
Hobbits are pretty much just Tolkien.

>>48028421
I figure that it's because Brer Rabbit is roughly as British as Bilbo is. There's a certain stereotype in portraying rabbits as being fairly down-to-earth peaceable folks who live in holes in the ground.
When they aren't going full Watership Down, that is.

Also, of course, because Redwall is pretty great. That's perhaps more of a mouse thing, but it's worth mentioning. As well as Cave Story, I suppose.

Really, there's a lot of stuff out there with rabbits in it. We've been exposing our kids to talking rabbits having adventures for generations now, so it's a small wonder that people want to incorporate them in their games.
>>
File: Pixiv.Fantasia.full.136867.jpg (203 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Pixiv.Fantasia.full.136867.jpg
203 KB, 1200x900
>>48028994
>>48029042
Makes sense to me. Also kind of interesting that people came to the same conclusion independently of each other.
>>
>>48028260
>>48028421

I'm doing something similar in my setting, but instead it's all manner of woodland critters.

Barrow Folk
>Choose a woodland critter
>Gain a +2 bonus to any stat relayed to your animal
>Badgers, Mole, Wolverine, Coyote +Strength or Com
>Squirrels, Ferrets, Weasels, Rabbits +Dex or Int
>Mice, Rats, Groundhogs, Foxes +Wis or Cha
>You have the best Initiative racial and highest AC but lowest HP
>You may choose to Bolt on the first round of combat, running and hiding instead of fighting.

Any opinions?
>>
>>48029419
Is that for ACKS?
>>
>>48029419
> Foxes +Wis or Cha
Int? And squirrels aren't famous for their brains.

Anyway:
>Badgers, Mole, Wolverine, Coyote +Str or Con
>Rats, Ferrets, Weasels, Foxes +Dex or Int
>Squirrels, Mice, Groundhogs, Rabbits +Wis or Cha
>>
>>48029419
http://www.rpgnow.com/product/90801/Woodland-Warriors-Rpg
Something like this, basically?
>>
I realized, after explaining OSR stuff to some gamers that I have a passion similar to that which Hank Hill has for Propane...

Anyone else had this moment?
>>
>>48029521
Not him, but...

Foxes are known for being clever, but is clever opposed to foolish or stupid? Depending on your answer, it could fall under either Wisdom or Intelligence.
>>
>>48029897
Intelligence. Foxes are known for tricks and cunning, not wisdom, willpower or morale qualities.
>>
>>48029992
Willpower and morale don't necessarily have much to do with Wisdom, they just got stuck there because it was a better fit than anywhere else. If you say that somebody is wise, I don't immediately think that he is indomitable and brave.

An intelligent person can be fooled just about as easily as anybody else (except when the trick hinges upon the person being ignorant of facts the intelligent person might know). Think of the book-smart nerd who is lacking in common sense. It's wisdom that keeps you from being tricked. The question is: what is it that helps you trick others?

Honestly, I've never been fond of the Intelligence / Wisdom split in D&D because I don't think that they're distinct enough from each other. Sure, somethings are clearly one or the other, but there's a substantial grey area in which you're going to have different people making different calls.
>>
>>48027689

The guy (Trevor, Travis) whatever I can't remember off the top of my head is not a fan of them.
>>
>>48030167
Tricksters (foxes included) are often tricked themselves (unlike wise people). Hence, I find Wisdom somewhat unsuitable.

> The question is: what is it that helps you trick others?
No idea. However, tricks themselves are often associated with knowledge (which is Intelligence in DnD).
>>
File: 1343115486870.jpg (39 KB, 600x484) Image search: [Google]
1343115486870.jpg
39 KB, 600x484
>>48027377
>I think I'll be making ACKS my go to game.

Hell yeah motherfucker!

I guess my work here is done.
>>
Just got rid of movement speed tracking by abstracting and tying them together to wandering monster checks that made every turn and starting at a 1/12 chance, with every point of encumbrance modifying the chance, down to 1/6
>>
Do you guys use reaction tables for NPCs? I've never felt comfortable with it since I feel character behavior should be based on context and roleplaying.
>>
File: Encumberance_loRes.jpg (83 KB, 579x712) Image search: [Google]
Encumberance_loRes.jpg
83 KB, 579x712
>>48031734
That's actually a really good idea! (stealing for my games now).
>>
>>48029468

No, I just don't use race as classes.

>>48029521

I guess you're right, but that list was mostly an example? I was planning on players choosing their own stat bonus as long as it fits, especially if they want to play something weird like a lemur, sloth, capybara, maybe a bobcat, etc. So didn't really want to start an argument about what animals get what stat bonuses, sorry.
>>
Does anyone have a PDF of Other Dust?
I'm thinking up a game concept and I want to give it a look.
>>
>>48027831
>Donjon doesn't have bad art, it's just a weird style.
No, it's shit. It's fucking shit, until they bring Boulet in on the last books. Trondheim draws with his dick or something.
>>
>>48032527
Check further up the thread, mate >>48006407
>>
>>48029042
>Really, there's a lot of stuff out there with rabbits in it. We've been exposing our kids to talking rabbits having adventures for generations now
Yeah, you notably left out Usagi, for example.

Not complaining, just amplifying your point: there's a fuck-ton of it.
>>
>>48029897
In fairy tales, they're usually specifically and explicitly clever but unwise; that's sort of the Fox Role. Anon's on the money with this one.
>>
File: 1357572252320.jpg (56 KB, 445x500) Image search: [Google]
1357572252320.jpg
56 KB, 445x500
>>48032091
I think most books suggest reactions rolls should be used only if you're unsure how the NPCs should react and emphasise that it should not act as a replacement for roleplaying.

Personally I've never used them, but can see their use if you want to leave it up to chance whether the intelligent monster is in unexpectedly chill or totally pissed off.
>>
What would you guys say about a simple skill and feat system for BFRPG, and how would you guys go about so that it still feel old school?
>>
>>48033098
I think just cribbing the system from Flame Princess would work pretty well. Give players a set of skills to choose from and assign points to each level. Maybe give a bonus if they've got high int or wis?

That makes it simple enough to fit right into the system without being to obtrusive, I think.
>>
How does Over the Wall differ, mechanically, from other OSR games?
>>
>>48006407
>files expired
NOOOOOO!!!
>>
who's actually ran Carcosa? Is it as amazing as I hear?
>>
>>48033098
I'd have to see how it pans out. Those things could break the game but if you crib it sort of like how ACKS and LotFP do, it might be good.
>>
Does it upset anyone else's autism that name level is level 9? Why level 9? Why not just one more for a nice capstone, a smooth 1-10 sort of deal for low level characters leading into a gameplay change?!
>>
>>48036392
>Does it upset anyone else's autism that name level is level 9?
More than the name, itself, it bothers me that hit dice max out at 9 rather than 10. Why have 12th level be 9d6+6 rather than 10d6+4?
>>
>>48036392

Nine is a magic number, 10 isn't.
>>
>>48036519
9d6 is oddly symmetric though
That being said, it's also the last single-digit number
>>
>>48036519
I'm pretty sure anon wasn't talking about the name, anon.
>>
>>48028474
well Halflings are in the bestiary, they just aren't available as a PC class
>>
>>48029042
>Also, of course, because Redwall is pretty great
reminds me that I need to make a Redwall themed hack of ACKS someday
>>
So I really want to have the old fashioned pig-faced orcs as a race in my world, but I'm not sure if I should make them playable or not. I'm shying away from the traditional elves/dwarves/halflings, and having a beastly race such as them would be nice; but I kind of already have big lizardmen dudes. Would it be too redundant to have 2 big/tough races?
>>
>>48037846
could always have them be big in differing ways
>>
>>48037846
Give them different origins, perhaps? For instance, if your lizardmen dudes are "natural" inhabitants of the world, then maybe the pigorcs are remains of old sorceror-king warrior breeding programs.
>>
>>48037972
>different origins
>literally the same origin orcs have had in everything ever since the dawn of time
why are they always the result of some sorcerer-king trying to do something or other?
i'm not sure i've ever seen anything where they just naturally exist on the world in question--the closest to an exception i can think of is Warcraft, but even then, they're only on Azaroth because Gul'Dan is a power-hungry sorcerer-king who killed their old world
>>
>>48038114
I meant different origins for lizards and pigorcs. Maybe the pigorcs are the naturals and lizards are the lab experiments. Point is, there's more room in a game world for two "big" races. Halflings, dwarves and goblins are all "short" races and yet they all occupy distinct niches.
>>
>>48037961
>>48037972
>>48038114
>>48038179

I was more referring to if their is room for 2 big strong playable races, seems kind of unnecessary.
>>
>>48038195

Make 'em race-as-class, give each its own little mechanical doohickey?
>>
>>48037846
>Would it be too redundant to have 2 big/tough races?
If you feel that way, why not have the pigorcs be sneaky cowards who are only bold when they can bully with superior numbers?

Buff roidorcs is a Warcraft idea, the Tolkien orcs are small and twisted.
>>
>>48037846
There's always ways to make races feel less redundant - try to differentiate them by ecology, culture, diet/cuisine, battle tactics, favoured weapons.

Take something like "native savages of the New World": these have a ton of pulp fiction flavours - cannibal pygmies, scalping Plains Indian, river raider East Coast Indians, ghostly Inuit, dream-walking Australian Aborigines, organized Aztec/Maya/Iroquios, etc. - and those are all the same species of Homo Sapiens.

IMO the physical attributes are the least important characteristics of a sapient species.
>>
>>47998898

Torchbearer, no doubt.
>>
File: wizard stock image sparkles.jpg (50 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
wizard stock image sparkles.jpg
50 KB, 800x533
>Tfw you had begun finally writing out your magic system
>Then Arnold from Goblin punch posts some shit that blows you out of the water and you immediately want to steal it instead

GOD DAMMIT REEEEEEE
>>
>>48036392
>>48036519
Who knows. Ask Moldvay, I guess - AD&D still had the Magic-User get 11 hit dice, for instance.

I guess they just wanted Basic to standardize things around the Fighter and Cleric, who got nine hit dice, rather than the Magic-User (11) or Thief (10)?
>>
I hate to bog down the thread with more shite questions but seriously;

If I'm trying to stop my players from doing a 15 minute adventuring day scenario; what ways can I mechanically change the magic and/or healing system to force them to press on with ever dwindling resources? Wandering monster checks are certainly a method but I feel they are kind of lazy; I wish it was represented better mechanically.
>>
>>48040208
Destroy/lock entrance. No food in the dungeon.
>>
>>47998898

Donjon.

Haven't got to play Torchbearer yet, but it's probably up there.
>>
>>47999439
>What would halfling saves be beneficial for?

Could be agricultural, intellectual, good singers or their tiny hands would be good to work in early factories instead of child labor.

>>48009422

Not all farm labor is fucking handling big beasts of burden and ploughs and shit dummy. There is plenty of work that can be done by small dextrous hands, especially if you have some kind of exotic cash crop from a fantasy world.

Plenty of farm shit was back breaking harvesting stuff low to the ground, hey guess what you can use those short fuckers.
>>
>>48040208
>>48040339
Sorry, I misread. Thought you wanted a solution that didn't involve changing magic and healing system.

The Goblin Punch guy modified the cleric in an interesting way where you spend "magic points" that you can only get through doing holy deeds and being blessed by priests. This system makes it so you can prepare a lot with your spells before you go on the adventure, but while you're actually on the adventure it's hard to get those points back. Maybe you could do something similar with magic users as well?

Another thing you can do is make magic need certain ingredients and components other than just preparing.
>>
>>48040208
Since others will probably point towards the magic/healing stuff, I guess I'll just point towards the built-in checks against that kind of behavior.

Wandering Monsters aren't really meant to discourage this, to be honest - they're there so that you don't waste time faffing around while actually inside the dungeon. However, they do make it so that it's extremely difficult to "clear" a dungeon, and thus if you stick to running in grabbing loot and running out you'll have to do more and more running as the unplundered loot gets further and further away while the wandering monsters keep getting rolled for.

There's also the classic mapping tricks. The 15 minute adventuring day requires you to be able to find your way back out - if your map is unreliable you might not be able to. Easy ways to fuck up mapping include labyrinths, level-changing slopes, one-way doors/slides, stealthy teleporter hallways, rotating walls, and much more.
Also, if you're running away from a monster you can't map and probably don't have time to open doors - this is an easy way to get people lost.
And then there's labyrinths, of course. Door mazes are especially annoying since they waste disproportionate amounts of time for their size.

If your issue is more that players are resting inside the dungeon, well, disabuse them of that notion. Seriously, the system is pretty good at making "safe spaces" infeasible - even spiking doors shut only means that monsters need to roll to open them rather than them acting like they're in a mall. Hold Portal only lasts for two hours at most and is vulnerable to high-HD enemies, and Wizard Lock still leaves you vulnerable to spellcasters of equal or greater level (not to mention requiring tons of second-level slots to be effective). And then you still might be caught off-guard by something else, like green slime or a secret door (cf. The Hobbit) or, I dunno, the room secretly being an elevator. Or some monsters just set up watch outside the room.
>>
>>48040208
>>48040658
Oh yeah, I guess I should also mention the thing with spellbooks being large and heavy and vulnerable and generally a bad idea to take into the dungeon.

For specific stuff that solves your problem, though - especially magic stuff - it would help to know what exactly the problem is. How are your players making it into a 15 minute adventuring day? Are they camping in the dungeon, doing hit-and-run looting, leaving as soon as they get injured, what?
>>
>>48040208
Don't let them rest in the dungeon, or give them limited benefits from rest--maybe they can rememorize as many levels of spells equal to the top level of spells they can cast. So if the magic-user has access to 3rd level spells, he could rememorize a 3rd level spell, or a 1st and 2nd level spell, or three 1st level spells. Thus, they get something back, but not everything back (and if you want to be harsher, let them rememorize a number of spell levels equal to their highest level of spells minus one). And maybe it takes something like a week's worth of study to gain back all your spells (or memorizing all your spells is a per level or per adventure sort of thing).

As far as them leaving the dungeon goes, have other monsters fill the gaps they've left the first time around... only they've already gotten the good treasure from those sections, so they have to fight or sneak past monsters with little benefit. Also, if they've slaughtered a few rooms of goblins, the remaining goblins have likely regrouped and are on high alert. Expect them to be much harder to deal with, stationing sentries, setting patrols, rigging traps, and having reinforcements ready for whenever somebody raises the alarm.
>>
>>48040715
>Don't let them rest in the dungeon
And by this I mean that sleeping in a dungeon does not provide from adequate comfort and safety to properly meditate and soundly sleep, things which are necessary to get your spells back.
>>
>>47998654
>Have you or your players ever really got scared of something in your games?
Permanent level drain puts the fear of god into anyone.
>>
File: don't panic.jpg (293 KB, 1179x1118) Image search: [Google]
don't panic.jpg
293 KB, 1179x1118
>>
>>48040737
Meh. If my players secure a door VERY adequately, have food bedrolls and water, and someone doing watch shift, I allow it. Always saying no leaves no room for it having possibility (which most everything should.)
>>
>>48039756

You're talking about this, right?
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/caster-differentiation-and-spellcasting.html
>>
>>48034492
I got your back.

Other Dust: http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1467307763

Starvation Cheap: http://www.uploadmb.com/dw.php?id=1467308157

Calling TroveGuy again.
>>
>>48043973
Troveguy should not forget >>48010144 >>48010160 >>48010172 either.
>>
>>48043666

Yes, Satan, It's quite a good magic system. A few key differences is I want to remove the different MU classes (not a fan of them, just have 1 Wizard class), and secondly I'm not a big fan of needing a specific sum of numbers. I'd rather look at successes. So make it so a 4, 5 or 6 is successful, with dice being lost on a 5 or 6. That way there is a 1 in 6 chance of a magic user getting his dice back after a successful spell cast.

Then again, the sum method might be a little better for keeping MUs casting longer.
>>
>>48044624

I think one of the most impressive bits is how by default, this system makes mages pretty similar in power to a vanilla Vancian mage. Usually new magic systems either cripple them, or way more often make them far stronger.
>>
File: Sorcerer summon demon.jpg (397 KB, 1018x1400) Image search: [Google]
Sorcerer summon demon.jpg
397 KB, 1018x1400
>>48044786

How so? If my caluclations are correct; it essentially allows Wizards to get 2/3rds more spells per day, but fail spells about 1/6 of the time (level 1 anyway). In normal DnD your spells can't fail, and such a low spell failure chance compared to such a high rate of return (2/3rds) means it seems like a buff. It's not that you even lose spells when you fail, you just have to try again next round.
>>
>>48044786
>Usually new magic systems either cripple them
I reckon a lot of that is probably because of the "weird wizard show" that came in with third edition - there's a lot of people out there who feel like Magic-Users are two powerful in one way or another (usually either because they can insta-solve encounters with e.g. Sleep or because they have a way greater ability to affect things outside combat than mundanes due to fuckin' magic.)

So then when you get people who go to OSR from those editions for various reasons hello some of them will obviously try to fight against what they saw as a problem in latter editions.

As for the whole opposite problem of buffing the mages to hell and back, I reckon a lot of that is accidental? Like, take the 3E Wizard. The spells are largely the same, it's just horrendously more powerful due to the way the system has changed around it. All the "un-fun" checks and balances against magic are removed, seemingly unrelated buffs happen like saving throws being nerfed across the board, and then you have stuff like being able to memorize all your spells within an hour (or a quarter in fifteen minutes!) and the various feats that buff them and Touch AC and monsters getting CON to HP and concentration checks and standard action spells and so on ad nauseum.

So when a new system pops up that doesn't change the spells but just changes the way you cast them, well, that changes a lot. Skill-based casting? Either it's unreliable and not worth it or too easy and pretty much at-will. Point-based casting? Easily too generous, lets you nova to an unprecedented degree.

There's a lot of moving bits - no surprise that changing one can mess with the rest.
>>
>>48019487
Elfquest (w)
>>
What are your starting towns like? Y'know, the home base. Your City-State of the Invincible Overlord, Keep on the Borderlands, Village of Hommlet, Waterdeep.

How big is it? What are there for interesting things there? Have you made a map? How far to the closest dungeons?
>>
File: tumblr_nlqbv5JMPN1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg (166 KB, 720x516) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nlqbv5JMPN1sbqddfo1_1280.jpg
166 KB, 720x516
>>48047327
I've made the main city and starting place sort of a mix between Amsterdam and Vornheim. I still need to add interesting stuff to it.

Speaking of which, I might as well ask here: Which books are great for inspiration on city adventures and encounters?
>>
>>48047537
Death Love Doom, if you don't mind weird sex demons
>>
Reminder that 2e is not "old school". 2e started the wave of ridiculous character customization via non-weapon proficiencies, realms/schools of magic, and kits. Not to mention the adulterated monster lineup and art.

If anyone tells you something is old school because 2e did it, tell them to go fuck themselves.
>>
>>48048343
Here is your (You)
>>
>>48047537
GURPS Goblins.
>>
>>48047537
Check out "Fever Dreaming Marlinko"

It's not a setting book as much as it is an adventure but it's a REALLY good example of a running an adventure in a city. You could also steal some of the encounters and shops and stuff.

Pretty sure it's in the trove.
>>
I need some good, basic adventuring spells. Stuff that is too good (like sleep) should be avoided.
>>
>>48048343
>non-weapon proficiencies
Sorry, brah, but that's late 1E.

Or, well, Wilderness Survival Guide/Dungeon Survival Guide. Oriental Adventures also had them as "peaceful proficiencies", although they noted that it wasn't a perfect term given how operating siege weapons was one of them.
Seriously, though, NWP is a clumsy-ass term.

Schools of magic were also a thing in late 1E, I think?
>>
>>48048573
Well clearly late 1e is where the problem started.
Published adventures also got fucking awful around 2e time. (Dungeon magazine especially)
>>
>>48002019
>they reward creativity
What do you mean by this?
>>
What's a good adventure module for character level 4+?
>>
>>48049022
Atarin's Delve in Dyson's Dodecahedron, Issue #1.
>>
>>48049022
Any module, really. Scaling to level teaches bad habits to players.
>>
>>48049577
Tomb of Horrors, then!
>>
>>48050015
Why not? Part of developing player skill is realizing when a challenge is too overwhelming. If a low level party tackles the Tomb and doesn't pull back when they realize how outmatched they are, they will hopefully be a little more cautious with their next characters. Scaling is little more than the first step towards railroading.
>>
File: etaineviscerates.jpg (115 KB, 690x961) Image search: [Google]
etaineviscerates.jpg
115 KB, 690x961
sort of a non common question around here but, I'm looking for a good, relatively cheap new table to run games on. my typical group is 6 plus myself. any suggestions for stores/sites or dimensions?
>>
>>48050736
Just put all your RP shit on a table, measure the area it takes up, then multiply it by seven. Get a table of that area.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 57

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.