[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Board Game General /bgg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66
File: gameroom.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1125) Image search: [Google]
gameroom.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1125
Don't have any of the pasta but here goes anyways.

Board Game General!

>What have you been playing?
>What have you stopped playing?
>What have you recently bought?
>What are you looking forward to buying?

I'll go first:
>Playing
Most recently been playing Harbour, a really nice small shipping game, works with two players but haven't tired it with more. Two player can be kind of mean with fucking up the market specifically for your opponent but it's still pretty fun. Also Five Tribes + expansion has been really fun.

>Stopped playing
Recently have slowed down on Ascension. I have every expansion except the most recent Dreamscape one and I think I might be done. It was the game that got me and my friends into board gaming from Magic but it doesn't have the same level of excitement that it once held. Giving it a break to see how I feel about it after a while.

>Buying
Just bought a bunch of games for the summer, some titles I've been really excited for, namely Istanbul, Sushi Go Party, and 7 Wonders Duel. I also picked up Lords of Waterdeep+Skullport expansion as a lightweight worker placement game that can work as an introduction.

>Looking forward to
Probably not buying more games that the above for a while, although I am interested in Codenames: Pictures and Arkwright, and we'ill see if Scoville: Labs is enough to get me into the game itself.
>>
>>47996208
tabletop simulator is on sale on steam. Anyone ever use it? Worth 10 dollars?
>>
File: bg.png (105 KB, 678x443) Image search: [Google]
bg.png
105 KB, 678x443
anyone played death angel? it seems really neat, but it's the one I'm least confident about

>>47996265
I don't have it, but it hasn't been under $10 since christmas sale 2014 which was when it was still in early access and $15. doesn't look like it'll go under $10 anytime soon
>>
>>47996208
Automobile by AEG is one of the most thematic games I've played.
That is, it's boring bullshit until the last two laps, then becomes INTENSE.
>>
File: DSC_0039.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0039.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Scythe!
My copy came in. I'm super pumped.
I severely underestimated the size of the expanded board though. I'm not sure if I'll ever have space to set that one up with all players
>>
>>47999331
>tfw no shipping info yet
>>
>>47999331
>tfw don't have time or friends to play heavier games
>>
>>47999382
be strong brother. Pray for lack of postal strikes.

I hadn't heard about the Canada Post strike until the update, then they added that they shipped my region last. You should get your delivery before the strike, probably. It shipped last wednesday then had to sit in the sorting office over the weekend.
I got the delivery notification at 10 this morning while I was at work. Text my roommate to bring it inside.
>I just missed him bro,
wut? You missed him dropping off the box? Where is game?
>There's no package here
WHAT!?!
>oh wait, it's inside the screen door

Stoner roommates are the worst.
>>
>>47999524
I'm not Canadian, so I ought to be fine with regards to the strike. American folks are getting shipping info, though.
>>
>>47996208

>Playing
Catan: Star Trek (gf likes it and I'm a Star Trek fanboy, Love Letter, Dungeonquest (though I'm not sure about this last one - the combat system is frankly bizarre).

>Stopped playing
Cards Against Humanity. Though strictly speaking that isn't true: trying to keep it to once a year when the family wants to play.

>Buying
Just picked up Dungeonquest, Deathwatch: Overkill, Mission: Red Planet, Letters from Whitechapel, Siege (aka: Weapons and Warriors to non-Canadians), and Heroquest.

>Looking forward to
Nothing specifically. Though my wish list includes Mice and Mystics, Warhammer: Forbidden Stars, and On Her Majesty's Service.
>>
>>47999331
J E L L Y
E
L
L
Y
>>
>>47999331
>>48000555
Wait, so is that the big side or the small side?
>>
when's the troyes reprint coming out?
>>
File: Scythe.png (2 MB, 1344x1120) Image search: [Google]
Scythe.png
2 MB, 1344x1120
>>48001740
that's with the extension. You can see one of the little clips on the bottom right edge. I think the clips are to narrow personally, should have gone for a broader clip to grab both pieces better.

I took some more photo's now that it's dark out so I'm not getting completely blown out.
Please excuse the unsaturated camera phone.
>>
>>47996208
Wait, that store... is that Faraos' Cigarer?
>>
>>48002085
I just checked in on it before making my most recent purchase. it was supposed to be by the end of june, but it's delayed until around august now.
>>
>>48003352
yeah, I heard about the delay. Thanks for that.
>>
>>47996748
death angel is pretty neat. Bought it on a whim years ago and I've gotten my moneys-worth. Couple things though, the rulebook is reaaally bad, and the game can be very difficult. Its going to feel like you just get unlucky and get dicked near the start at times. On the plus side is quite the tense little game and somehow manages to capture the feel of 'I am a space marine being stalked by alien killing machines' very well despite just being a little card game.

I'd recommend to any 40k fans assuredly, other sci-fi fans can certainly love it. Others may have to get through the muddy rulebook and get 2 games under their belt before it clicks and they start liking it.
>>
>>47996208
>Playing
Friday: Bohnanza with my compadres. Witnessed a great faceoff between my friend and his gf because he conspired with another friend to take the last cocoa bean (she had the other 3), even though it was worthless alone. His face when he realized he actually pissed her off was priceless

At Sunday's Meetup:
Sushi Go. Three way tie for second, the newbie creamed us all

Patchwork. Taught this to one of the guys who's always playing social/party games. It was only my second play, and I realized that if the opponent doesn't pick up income patches early, you're going to dominate. There's some delicate balances in this game and I guess he was too focused on laying tiles neatly to watch his time usage/income. He enjoyed it though

The King Is Dead: played this 3p with my favorite power couple. We were all enthralled with the simplicity and pure strategy of it. That said, it's practically "tiebreakers: the game." Might have just been me, but the whole game I was thinking "how do I fare in a tie?" instead of "how do I win?" The win con even changes if there are too many tied rounds, and the tiebreakers are replaced too. I'm still very enamored with it, can't wait for my next play

Dominion: 3p game with Hinterlands, Dark Ages, Adventures, and Empires, including a couple Landmarks (because I begged them to let me include them... and I begged them to let me teach Dominion because it rarely sees play)
>Stopped playing
Um, I narrowly escaped a game of Nippon Sunday. I liked my one play of it a couple months ago, but due in no small part to the other players, who, like me, shouted obscenities when their minds were full of fuck
>Recently bought
Not since last general. I figure I'll mention that I've been working on a custom version of OOP German-only game Neue Heimat. It's a screw-over-your-neighbors real estate bidding game. Pics when it's done
>Looking forward to
Innovation Deluxe
Grizzled expansion
A Feast for Odin
Plums
>>
File: image.png (230 KB, 600x221) Image search: [Google]
image.png
230 KB, 600x221
I'm playing dungeonquest 3ed solo, using home brewed battle system.

It's always fun.
>>
>>47999382
>tfw no shipping info + a store a couple of states over received their group pledge last week
>>
New question
>Have you ever introduced a new game to your group that stopped them playing another game?
To clarify, something that is (subjective to your group at least) completely superior. Put another way, it scratches all the itches the other game does only better.

I found this with Secret Hitler and The Resistance. SH is just all round a better game. Haven't seen it with anything else though, everything else manages to maintain its niche. Though I'm unlikely to get anything that overlaps too much anyway.

Maybe it's just a time thing. I got The Resistance before SH came out and probably wouldn't have if SH had existed then. I wonder how many other games I have might be completely supplanted in the future?
>>
>>48004947

Can you tell us about your battle system? I also have dungeon quest, I dislike the included combat rules intensely.
>>
>Starcraft box I won on eBay arrived.
>Second hand because fuck paying >$300 for shrinkwrap.
>Paid $90 plus shipping
>Nervous as fuck
>Seller seemed to have no idea what condition the game was in
>Open the box... surprise!
>Brood Wars + Typhon included
>No box for the expansion
>I'm still very much OK with this
>All complete and in pretty good shape, except for a couple of frayed connectors, a snapped flier base and a single missing resource token
>>
>>48007291
Great buy there Anon! You can almost certainly find replacements for the flier bases - I'm not sure if the GW flier bases for ship from Battlefleet Gothic would work, but I'll be they'll be close enough even if not perfect.
>>
>>48006734

Sure,

First off I've done a couple different solo styles of play.

I've tried playing one character, two characters, and three characters, but probably the easiest yet challenging is one character with the opportunity to rescue a killed characters loot with another character entering the revealed dungeon and so on until the timer runs out, or if a character gets some treasure out even if the first or even second character gets killed along the way.

Anyway, there are 2 kinds of encounters, threats and monsters.

I have a save system in place to deal with threats, it's a dice off between your character and the threat using poker dice. If you make a better hand you avoid the threat, but if not you take one damage and then resolve the threat (some threats can be resolved with no damage so it's the players choice whether to try and use the avoid system, and it adds some action than just roll the die and take the damage)

The monster system is based on the premise that monsters should not outright kill the character on its first encounter, and the battle card system is just strange. The classic system is also too simple for my tastes, but it can speed up game play,

For initiative I use the rules in the book, doing skill checks for the first attack, if I'm playing hardcore I take a wound if I lose this check.

For the battle I use 2d6 while allowing for certain actions on 2 - 2 wounds to the attacker, 3 - free counter attack, 11 - 1 wound to opponent with a critical check being optional, and 12 - a critical wound of 2 to the opponent. Any natural 7 equals a hit as well. And monsters are given a dice rating ala games workshop games

Skeleton is +3, sorcerer +4, troll +5, golem and demon +6. So in addition to the above as long as you have at least one of those numbers or greater you'll score the ooportunity to hit.

For my own funs sake, I've added a critical check which incorporates 3 d6 dice from a different game, but here a table you can use
>>
>>48008561
Cont
1 - miss
2 - counter
3 - counter
4 - hit
5 - hit
6 - critical

Roll 3d6, as long as one die shows a hit or greater the opponent takes one wound, 2 criticals, cause 2 wounds, all counters earns the opposition a fee counter attack, and finally a mixture of counters and misses means a miss with no wounds delievered.

It sounds complex but is pretty straight forward.

You can also add the escape system to encounters with monsters at a 1 wound penalty for failure as well as the loss of initiative. It's actually ok if the character dies if you are playing the "rescue" variant I mentioned. It's a race against time and some times reaching the dead character requires a jaunt through the catacombs.

I do have something typed out, but the frame work of escape attempt (optional), initiative skill check, random selection of monster HP, dice to hit, if hit dice crit check flows pretty well.

I like the added dimension of counter attacks the best, and the incorporation of critical hits works both ways.

The dice game is also fun when playing two player as it gives the monster more action than the classic system.

Thanks for reading...
>>
>>48008716
Oh, yeah and from the monsters perspective, the heroes are +6 or natural 7 to score a chance to hit using the crictal check. They use the same 2, 3, 11, 12 dice roll specials I described earlier as well.
>>
File: AFKGAMES.jpg (529 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
AFKGAMES.jpg
529 KB, 3264x2448
>>47996208
>Playing
Nada, everyone's on vacation so been working on side projects
>Stopped playing
Star Realms is starting to lose it's appeal, maybe too much time on the digital copies burned it out
>Buying
Parents just came back from 2 weeks in the middle of french wine country, brought me the Iello version of For Sale. The art is wonderful and reminiscent of Dr Seuss
>Looking forward to
Finishing the Dawn Patrol map I've been working on, Gencon, waiting on the retail Santorini to see how the molds turned out
>that pic
Man I would kill for a game store that actually stocked games, I've got 3 locally, and the only one that isn't toxic has a pitiful section of actual board games

>>47998709
Thunder Alley is a better race game, but Automobiles/Trains are really nice alternatives to standard deckbuilding; just make sure to avoid Planes by AEG, that one ruins their "trilogy"
>>
Last game I played was 221B Baker Street - 1975 edition, as I recall. Everybody got kinda bored, but we agreed the concept was solid. After that, "I Hate This Game!", which was definitely fun... just not sure I'd play it again. Kinda Munchkiny, if you get my drift.
Games in general. Work usually coincides with game nights these days, but I might be able to get some gaming in one of these weekends.
Good Cop Bad Cop, Medieval Academy, WWE Superstar Showdown, Maximum Throwdown, Dodekka and some little games to entice the family.
Might finally pull the trigger on Corto... I just hope that Brexit hasn't fucked up the shipping prices too much.
>>
I play 40k, flames of war and a few other miniatures based games. My GF really wants to be involved in "gamming" but she doesn't want to learn all the rules for those games, so I suggested maybe we play a board game together with a few friends. What's a good casual game to play with your lady friend and a couple mates while having pizza and beer. She likes Risk, taught her that last week.
>>
File: 7OF2Ouv.jpg (280 KB, 1625x1012) Image search: [Google]
7OF2Ouv.jpg
280 KB, 1625x1012
>>48009463
>Iello version of For Sale
Jelly
>>48010054
>Just hope Brexit hasn't fucked up shipping prices
Too soon for that but I bet it's coming
>>48010095
Pic related (there's a more updated one this is just what I have)
>>
>>48010095
What worked for me to get my wife into board games was Pandemic , Machi Koro, Dixit and after that Lords of Waterdeep.
>>
>>48010249
>>48010298
Cheers!
>>
File: the wife's recs fixed.png (3 MB, 1878x1672) Image search: [Google]
the wife's recs fixed.png
3 MB, 1878x1672
>>48010249
It's been a game that I've wanted but refused to buy because of how shit E-G has been on their releases the last couple years, though I do feel like the cardboard coins are a little small. Still I'm already planning on having them search out the Diamant reprint when they go back over next summer.

>>48010095
Last revision I did about a month back
>>
File: 1463031722485.jpg (24 KB, 284x253) Image search: [Google]
1463031722485.jpg
24 KB, 284x253
I've been playing so much fucking Codenames. I kinda want to stop introducing it to people because then they just keep clammering to play it
>>
>>48010652
I feel you bro, it is happening to me with Lords of Waterdeep.
Also, last time we played Codenames we had a huge fight, fucking game.
>>
>>48010726
I'm 90% Codenames will cause my sister and her husband to divorce
>>
File: 1466995965546.jpg (719 KB, 2579x1454) Image search: [Google]
1466995965546.jpg
719 KB, 2579x1454
>>48010782
>How did you not know? It is fucking obvious!
>Well, it isn't so OBVIOUS to me
>Ugh, you are so stupid for not remembering that in this movie, in this specific scene it shows X. I thought that you loved this movie as much as I did.
>>
Also, in the Steam sale there are a few digital boardgames on sale, like Gremlins Inc and Armello (although Armello's "only" 25% off, and from what I understand it's not good enough to pull the trigger, even at that discount)
>>48010249
Weeeelll, odds are the referendum won't get passed by Parliament; these things rarely are in Europe, it's just that everyone threw a shitfit because they expected the majority of voters to not be stupid. Apologies if this derails the thread.
>>
Warhammer Quest Silver Tower is hitting the table a bit. Other than that we like playing different stuff every time so been playing lots of stuff. Dream factory, Steam Park, Ascension, Thebes, Camp Grizzly...
Sold quite a few games because they werent played anymore : Legends of Andor, Innovation, A Touch of Evil, Scotland Yard, Terror on Meeple City, Legendary Marvel... And a few others I can't think of right now.
Well, getting into Warhammer Quest got me into ordering an Age of Sigmar boxset since both game can seed each other.. R.I.P. Wallet.
Also bought the expansion to Mysterium as well as Prodigal's Club.
Well, I'm waiting on MORE info on it but I really want Last Friday to be good. Please be good. Camp Grizzly is a great Friday the 13th style game but I NEED MORE.
Legendary Alien expansion too I guess ? But I'm afraid it's just going to be the "predator pvp" mode but tailor made for the Aliens...
>>
>>48011292
No, referendum's not going to go because otherwise we're going to have another fucking recession, just like every economist in this country told you would happen. I mean, that's your answer - do as we say or we commit violence? And don't pull that "It'll be worth it! If we keep stabbing our dicks, our dicks will become stab-proof in a few year's time!" - that argument's called the gambler's fallacy for a reason. Oh, and we'll still get migrants

Anyway, what's everyone's favourite eurogame? I love Carcassonne, myself; easy to learn, easy to teach, and a considerable amount of strategy in the base game alone
>>
>>48012361
*go through

*stil get migrants, because we're still part of the free trade area, dipshit.

Also, why would the Muslim be buggering me if he hates homosexuals so much?
>>
From another thread a couple of days ago.
Is D&D attack wing dead? I haven't heard a thing from Wizkids in the last time about the game and I feel interested in buy a core but without new waves comming out I kinda don't know if I want now.
>>
>>48012446
> I kinda don't know if I want now.
> Wizkids
If you haven't realized by now, I have bad news for you.
>>
>>48012540
what?
you're not implying what I think you're implying
>>
File: 1467150734922[1].png (234 KB, 800x764) Image search: [Google]
1467150734922[1].png
234 KB, 800x764
>>47996208
>invest a bunch of money in the dark souls ks
>brexit
>>
>>48010954
Twilight Struggle for -40%
I got it and lost (wrecked) by timelimit in my first online game...
>>48012679
>you're not implying what I think you're implying
You, too, are contradicting yourself
>>48013738
Here's your (You)
>>
>>47996208
Kemet. Desent and Marvel Legendary at work with the kids.
Alchemist, once was enough.
Hanabi.
Hero Realm, Sushi Go Party, 51st State. Looking forward to 7th Continent.
>>
>>47996208
>playing
Couple of games of Puerto Rico in the last couple weeks and one Mansions of Madness with a keeper that "forgets" rules. Some Bang! Dice, Coup and Biblios while waiting for people to arrive.
>stopped playing
Yeh, well... our group isn't consistent enough to really get over a game. We've played a lot of games once and just a few have gotten replays. A friend won't bring up Catan every gaming session anymore, so that's probably it.
>recent purchases
Tigris & Euphrates, Letters from Whitechapel, Saboteur and >>48007291
>plan to buy
I want Dominant Species, Twilight Struggle, Russian Railroads, Xia, Dungeon Petz, Broom Service, Virgin Queen, Jaipur, Targi, Brass, TI3 expansions, and a lot of other stuff but it's all gonna have to wait til my wallet recovers.

Hi, my name is anon and I have a gaming problem.
>>
>>48013867
>Here's your (You)
I, in conjunction with my LCS, put a load of money in the wholesale DS KS stuff. I project a $200 loss before profits.
>>
>Playing
no game night for two weeks now, before that we were playing a lot of Valley of the Kings. Not sure why but we all love that game.

>Stopped playing
I think we've played out Love Letter and Coup for the time being, haven't had a game of Eldritch Horror in a while either.

>Buying
Just bought some more netrunner and x-wing, because my wallet is evil and must be punished

>Looking forward to
Playing anything at this point
>>
>>48017911
investing is a risky business anon.
>>
>>48018205
I'll still make money but not as much as I'd like.
Ah, well.
>>
File: EaN51ct.jpg (68 KB, 640x812) Image search: [Google]
EaN51ct.jpg
68 KB, 640x812
Hey guys, I'm going to have a huge board game binge soon. I need some help though.

I'm looking for board games/card games/miniatures that are:

Related to Dinosaurs and Giant Monster/Kaiju
Space/Space Exploration/Space Colonization

and

Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon styled.
Someone already told me Caverna, and I'm checking that out.
>>
>>48018430
King of Tokyo/New York and Terror in Meeple City are the only Kaiju games I know of.
>>
>>48018430
Epic Tiny Galaxies for Space/Space colonization category
Kaiju King of New York
>>
>>48018430
caverna fits in between harvest moon and rune factory. you might want to look into agricola for purely harvest moon

roll for the galaxy is my favorite space game, although it might not be exactly what you'er looking for

evolution might scratch that dinosaur itch
>>
>>48018465
>caverna fits in between harvest moon and rune factory
it does have waifus? this is an important question.
>>
File: flumph4.jpg (167 KB, 650x418) Image search: [Google]
flumph4.jpg
167 KB, 650x418
>>48018453
Gonna check out King of Tokyo/New York. Main differences?
>>48018461
Epic Tiny Galaxies sounds interesting.
>>48018465
Someone told me that Caverna is basically everything that Agricola is, but upgraded/improved with a few more features. So I went with Caverna.
>>
>>48018506
>King of Tokyo/New York. Main differences?
Tokyo is New York with stupid bullshit attached.
The true kaiju game is Rampage/Terror in Meeple City though.
>>
>>48018506
a little correction thou.
Is Tiny Epic Galaxies. really fun in group. somewhat short but consistent enough all in such a tiny box.
>>
>>48018490
nope. you can have kids, but you're just gaining another worker. no romancing waifus. I honestly can't think of any game that has that.

>>48018506
people are split over whether they like caverna or agricola more. they're both fine games, but I'd recommend looking into both for yourself.
>>
>>48018551
>nope. you can have kids, but you're just gaining another worker. no romancing waifus. I honestly can't think of any game that has that.
Sadness.
>>
>>48018551
>people are split over whether they like caverna or agricola more. they're both fine games, but I'd recommend looking into both for yourself.
Both are pale shadows of Ora & Labora.
>>
>>48018539
Rampage/Terror in Meeple City seems to be somewhat rare at GenCon.
I'm looking at testing out games at GenCon before I start buying and doing the board game binges with friends.
>>
>>48018620
Didn't say that upthread.
>>
>>48018632
I'm a different anon.
>>
File: User_Knighthonor_Trent.jpg (126 KB, 550x800) Image search: [Google]
User_Knighthonor_Trent.jpg
126 KB, 550x800
>>48018641
How dare you just hijack my questioning.

Nah, it's cool. I don't know what GenCon is but if it's anything like Origins they should have these games there.
>>
>>48018620
>you both want to do board game binges
Did you just steal his wording too or am I being trolled
>>
What about airship games
>>
>>48018890
The one where players take turn captaining the ship, forget the name.
>>
>>48018569
You can play a Tanto Cuore minigame on the side for the waifuing
>>
>>48019099
Celestia.
>>
>>48020636
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>47996208
Hey, I know that store! Wandering Dragon in... don't know the town, but it's in Illinois. Place is cool as fuck, but sadly a while away from me.

Also, anyone know if the X-Files boardgame is any good? Huge fan of the show, figured it'd be good to grab the game if it's worth it.
>>
>>48020919

Havent played it but from seeing a couple reviews it appears to be REALLY LIGHT, but not bad overall.

If you're ok with that, you might like it.
>>
>>48010385
>>48010249
I know it's a meme but I think you'd be remiss to not include Settlers. Yes, it's not amazing but it's still very good for casuals to get a feel for board games
>>
File: gt01_main.png (176 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
gt01_main.png
176 KB, 300x300
Say, I want to play A Game of Thrones Card Game 2nd edition, but don't want to go all in and buy everything. If would be willing to get the core set and either two small or the large expansion. Which ones would you recommend?
>>
>>48022310
That's just it - it's popular, but 20 years later the games in that list are still better options than Catan. Catan, Monopoly, or any other game that has the winners or losers determined by dice rolls to such an extent that strategy and skill takes a back seat to the dice isn't really introducing players to good modern board gaming.
>>
>>48010954
>>48012361
By "every economist in the country" you mean the media, which people are increasingly growing distrustful of due to the very anti-populist sentiments that you echo.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pro-brexit-economists-make-case-for-u-k-exit-from-eu-1461846513

Face it, Brexit represented a popular revolt by working-class against the way things are heading. It's a statement that current conditions are unbearable. If Parliament goes against the democratic will and denies Brexit (I doubt it will), it's horribly naive to think that the reaction won't be even more extreme.

Board games. Sorry.
>>
>>48023230
The EU is a fucking failed project.
It changed from being about tarifs and trade to controlling everything every country in the EU does. They want to become a singular super state and have a war against Russia basically.

Fuck the EU.

Brits were willing to sacrifice a little bit of economic power for safety over the long run. Enough with the bullshit of being told what to do by other countries.
>>
>>48023230
That Minifig guy doesn't understand how tough Britain's actual immigration laws are compared to what the EU was forcing upon them, because he's so fucking used to the last 40 years being all about the EU.
>>
File: P6220751.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
P6220751.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1500
7 Wonders Duel is an amazing game.

I've played 10 games or so with my girlfriend so far. Every game was so different due to the multiple paths to victory.

I can't wait for them to introduce expansions for this game.
>>
>>48018620
It doesn't get demo'd often anymore, and worse the Asmodee/DoW/Queen/etc booth changed to the FFG format last year so you're gonna want to avoid that like the plague, total time waster. Not the best flicking game (Pitchcar/Flick em Up), but still very solid if you enjoy dexterity.

>>48018655
Gencon is Origins (x4-5) but the previews have become releases and there's only 50 copies for sale each day so you'll never get them. It's also got more of a vendor feel to it than being about playing games, but that's just due to size; smaller cons are much more intimate and feel like you're there just to play.

>>48022310
I've thought about it a lot, but I can't bring myself to add it. For one it's already known outside the hobby, and as >>48023057 said it's also not a great game. The list is also something like 80-90% games my wife asks me to play with her, or will recommend to her friends to try out with their spouses. the rest are things people immediately respond to here at /bgg/ when asked for recs.
>>
>>48024283
Plus, Catan doesn't really work for 2 players unless each takes 2 colors.
>>
>>48025175
And even then, trading would have to be isolated, so a player had to trade only with the opponent, and both hands of cards kept independent. Not really practical.
>>
>>48025175
Also true, but in the last revision I did add some really good couples games (Witness is too much fun to leave off a list like this). Still I wouldn't add Catan because it's not been fun for either me or the wife, and I've already reached the limit on games I dislike but recommend on that pic.
>>
>>48023321
Happy to hear it, just bought it for myself and the gf. I was initially worried it would be too cutthroat and mean but I figure in a 1v1 game that's pretty acceptable.
>>
Anyone have experience teaching 7 Wonders to new people? Just got the game today and am thinking of introducing a couple of my non-gamer buds in a couple days.
>>
>>48025672
Easy peasy, my friends got the basic mechanics in 2 rounds, and started plotting sound strategies by the second game.

Get a hand of 7 cards, everyone plays *ONE* simultaneously to
1.- build stuff
2.- discard to build your wonder
3.- sell for gold
Pass hand to the right on phases I and III, to the left on phase II.
Repeat until you have 1 card in your hand, discard that, tally military points and proceed to the next phase.

Cards are divided by colors:
brown resources and grey goods (pay for buildings)
red military (gets you points if your might is greater than your neighbor's)
green science (build sets for VPs at game end)
yellow commerce (discounts when trading and so on)
blue whatevers (VPs ate game end)
purple guilds (built on phase III, various effects for VPs, often depend on what your neighbors built)

Cost to build these are on each card, you may build for free if you have the pre-req buildings.
Build your wonder for extra VPs and effects,
Keep cheat sheet nearby while you familiarize yourselves with iconography and misc card effects.
>>
>>48026025
>discard to build your wonder
paying the construction costs obviously

Resources aren't used up, they don't disappear when building something and you can use them *ONCE* every turn.

Trading is done with your immediate neighbors, you pay them 2 gold for a resource they have, they can't refuse. Again, resources aren't used up and are available for both players in any given turn, provided they're paid for. Commerce cards will reduce the cost for a resource on the card to a minimum of 1. You can't use resources from a card that has been played on that turn.
>>
>>48023230
>pro-Brexit economits say Brexit won't fuck everything up

STOP THE MOTHERFUCKING PRESSES

Seriously, every claim that Brexit politicians made turned out to be bullshit e.g. that £350 mill we were TOTALLY going to get for the NHS. If we actually go through with this shit (NOBODY in parliament wants it, aside from UKIP, 10 guys in Labour and the lying chodes who fed you bullshit about how immigrants would eat your babies
>>48023268
We don't have a strong enough economy to deal with leaving the EU - the only reason Norway doesn't have to join is because they have a shitload of oil. We've already lost twenty BILLION pounds, which is a hell of a lot more than we could've saved if we talked this shit out
>>48023289
Yes, I am used to having security and international cooperation and a healthy economy that doesn't have to worry about the possibility of yet another recession. Thanks for noticing.

... So, favourite eurogame? Anyone?
>>
>>48026243
*eat your babies) then the £ will skip again
>>
>>48026243
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotherham_child_sexual_exploitation_scandal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochdale_sex_trafficking_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telford_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_sex_abuse_case
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aylesbury_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banbury_sex_gang
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keighley_sex_gang
>>
>>48026243

My fave Eurogame is probably Suburbia. If you want a game that actually comes from europe... Hmmm Shogun/Wallenstein ?
>>
>>48026025
play continues til phase III ends, points are counted in the following order
>accumulated military tokens, (awarded at each phase's end for each weaker neighbor, worth 1 VP in age I, 3 VP in age II, 5 VP in age III. -1 VP for each stronger neighbor,)
>1VP for every 3 gold left over
>wonder construction VP, (not awarded if not constructed, duh)
>blue card VP
>yellow card VP
>purple guild cards (VPs vary per card, most depend on what your neighbors builtm so build accordingly)
>science stuff (VPs awarded by same icon sets, 1 card= 1*1, 2 cards=2*2, 3 cards=3*3. 4 cards=4*4 and so on)
>add shit up for VP total

forgot, at higher player counts there are some duplicate buildings, you're NOT allowed to build the same building twice
>>
>>48026243

>We've already lost twenty BILLION pounds

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty positive that literally nothing has changed yet in regards to policy. Any money lost is based 100% on people panicking in the market rather than actual consequences of Brexit.

I'm not saying Brexit wasn't retarded, but the immediate consequences aren't consequences of policy, they're consequences of everyone collectively losing their shit and panic-selling. You could say that's a consequence of Brexit, and it is, but it's not exactly due to anything AT ALL changing between Britain and the EU in terms of economics. That stuff's still being renegotiated.
>>
>>48025672
Hit up board game geek's web site and look at the player aids. There are some good ones you can download that can help teach / help new players understand the game more easily. Make sure to worn them about how technology sets are victory point *multipliers* and don't just add.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_T00V8LHF4

Battlecon players, if you didn't know, Battleguides are a thing.
>>
>>48026315
Funny how the far right only pays attention to child rape when it's done by brown people...
>>
>>47996208
Played some 7 Wonders and a 6-player game of Dominant Species this weekend. Have planned a game of Andean Abyss for this coming weekend.

Haven't stopped playing anything lately.

Nothing.

F A L L I N G S K Y
A
L
L
I
N
G

S
K
Y
>>
>>48026787
show me rape gangs run by white british guys where they groom young girls for years and the police and labour politicians cover it up and continue to let it happen. I'll wait.

child rapists are scum, no matter who they are. we shouldn't be importing a people who are so prone to child rape
>>
I summon the STEEV!
>>
>>48027246
Easier to get a hold of on the /tg/ Discord server
>>
File: gief pls.png (44 KB, 538x273) Image search: [Google]
gief pls.png
44 KB, 538x273
>>48027246
Haven't played jack recently, might have something productive to post in a few days if I can finally get Mare Nostrum on a damn table.

August needs to hurry up and get here.
>>
File: solution.jpg (908 KB, 1344x1209) Image search: [Google]
solution.jpg
908 KB, 1344x1209
>>
>>48028007
>give example of conspiracy that met the parameters you asked for
>HURR DURR DOESN'T COUNT HOW TELLING THAT YOU MENTION THE VERY THING I SAID DIDN'T EXIST
>>48028495
Look, I wasn't fond of Minifig when he was going 404: LAW NOT FOUND WHEN, but that's a bit much... although I guess /pol/ wanting to lynch somebody who disagrees with them is pretty much par for the course.
>>
>>48028007
Damn, hope you don't put your back out moving those goalposts, ya fucking crazy britbong

Anywho, assuming that Loot Letter is the worst version of Love Letter (because Munchkin, duh) then what is the SECOND-worst?
>>
>>48028663
not because I disagree with him, but he regularly finds a reason to derail the threads
>>
>>48028691
I'll say the LoT5R version, because when you're trying to sell a game on how simple it is, what you don't need is one of the cards being called a fucking "shugenja".
>>48028902
I think on this occasion he's "only" partly to blame. Might not sound like much, but it takes two to pretend they know about British politics
>>
>>48028663
>pol
>lynch
>Not gas
Have you ever even MET Ben Garrison?
>>
>>48028966
No, and I hope I never do.

Anyway, what's the best version of Risk?
>>
>>48029246
History of the World
>>
>>48029246
Star Wars, 2015 edition

Also acceptable; Legacy, Godstorm and maybe the LoTR version, but only if you're playing the optional scenario that let you recreate the books.
>>
Anybody following the Origins preview videos ? They're the most infuriating thing, seems like most of the games have been available for months.

Naruto ? Trekking the national parks ? FUCKING LIAR'S DICE ?

It's not a PREview if the game is already on the market !

Sorry I had to vent somewhere.
>>
Thoughts on Mage wars? I like how the game gives you full control in what are you doing. what I don't like is how damage is resolved. also MW Academy or Arena?
>>
>>48031609
Very cool game, I have everything but one expansion...
Arena has a lot more strategic depth, which is a plus if you're into meaty games, but is fiddlier and longer.
Academy for a faster, lighter game, still has the same spellbook system, which is why it'll murder Arena eventually.
>>
>>48031738
why do you think Academy will kill Arena?
how it looks the devs plan to give support to Arena since the Academy cards are completely compatible with Arena & areas.
>>
>>48026375
It's retarded PRO EU people thinking that combining all states into a super state and then letting a fuckload of african and muslim immigrants in is a good thing.
>>
>>48031844
Accessibility = sales.
Unless it's a really niche game with a largish following, games that are easier to get into will usually outsell heavier games, especially when they've got the same flavor or feel.
Arcane Wonders hasn't announced any more content for Arena, so there's that too. I believe it'll be slowly faded out in favor of its younger brother.
>>
>>48032120
well... at least Academy stuff can be used also in Arena so I guess not everything is terrible?

I was talking about how damage is done. I have nothing against dice rolls but I know some people who turns them off knowing that bad rolls can take the victory off their hands.
Any suggestion on "competitive" games that have little luck on them?
>>
>>48026787
Except that BBC guy got his salad tossed. But that was also covered up by the exact same people who covered up brown mud people being pond scum, so yea.
>>
>>48032216
I enjoy the combat system, the more dice you roll, the better chance you have of getting a good result, and you should try to get a feel for the odds of a given roll. When shit happens, you gotta stay on your toes and have a plan B, that's what's so great about the spellbook system. Prepare, adapt, improvise.

I know RNG puts off a lot of gamers, but hey, luck is also a factor in real life, calculating every single variable affecting an event is impossible.
>>
>>48018430
>>48018506
Bumping for a fresh set of eyes.

Maybe.
>>
>>48032120
Welp, they HAVE announced a new expansion! Paladin VS Siren to be released at Origins!
Omagawd, I got this stupid grin on my face right now.
>>
>>48032370
well ignoring the last thing I said. any good game with competitive potential? once I tried with Doomtown but once I read the news now I'm off looking for something else to fill the void.
Mage wars seems like a solid option but what else is out there?
>>
>>48032554
Sorry, focus ain't my strong suit.
There are not a lot of games with high customization and competitive potential.
As far as I know only Netrunner, M:tG and X-wing have serious organized competitive scenes.
Maybe other anons have suggestions/input?
>>
>>48020636
Who made Celestia?
>>
>>48033315
Assuming you're not a brony, these publishers are listed on BGG

ABBA Games
BLAM !
Ghenos Games
Heidelberger Spieleverlag
hobbity.eu
Jolly Thinkers
Quick Simple Fun Games
>>
>>48033315
>twenty-sixteen
>wtf is google?
>>
>>48033511
>>
>>48033445
>>48033511
I can't find any like, well known distributor of this game.
>>
>>48032629
M:tG has the most concrete competitive system of any non-vidya game, Netrunner is probably second tieing with X-Wing. FFG is getting its sea legs with serious competitive scenes but they are all good choices, my personal faves are X-Wing and Magic (expecially booster drafts).
>>
>>48032497
SeaFall is coming out,
You would probably like Apex Predator too.
>>
File: Cultist-chan01.jpg (38 KB, 205x166) Image search: [Google]
Cultist-chan01.jpg
38 KB, 205x166
I have 104 mini Euro sized sleeves and 34 tarot sized sleeves.
What game or combination of games can I buy which will use the most of these and not more? Already have Kemet and Onitama.
>>
File: Mistfall_box_front2.png (2 MB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Mistfall_box_front2.png
2 MB, 1200x1200
>playing
My small group and I have recently been playing a good amount of terra mystica and carcassone, the latter having only been added to my collection a few weeks ago. I'm glad it's as good a game as it's reputation would suggest. Really simple, really fun. Also a bit of sentinels of the multiverse, and we squeezed a game of thunderstone in which hasn't happened for a while.

>stopped playing
Well up until recently...Thunderstone. We played it a lot for a few weeks in a row, really enjoyed it, but decided to move on to other things. We've also stopped with some of the simpler games in my collection like love letter...generally we go for one heavy game followed or preceded by a medium to light-ish game per game night, and something like love letter or fairy tale, while good and fun games, just don't really do it for us right now. I pull those games out with some of my more casual friends, but with my small core group, it's the heavy stuff for us.

>recently bought
It was my birthday yesterday so I decided to go into the city and treat myself. Picked up Sylvion (which only leaves urbion for me to find and complete the 4 oniverse games), dungeon crawler, and the big buy of the day, Forge war.

I have to be honest, I may be in a little over my head. I love complex and heavy games (mage knight being my favorite) and I'm sure with a little patience and time I can learn it, but staring at that 30 page rule book, seeing the multitude of pieces and the playerboard, and knowing that it's practically got 3 games in one is a bit daunting. I am simultaneously dreading the learning experience and excited for it.

>looking forward to buying
Hopefully nothing for now because I am spent the fuck out after that trip. In addition to those, I recently kickstarted pic related's sequel, and the second edition of Darkest night, so I really need to stop with the spending. I'll admit though that b sieged caught my eye while I was in the store today though...
>>
>>48036115
Tokaido for the minis?
>>
>>48036115
I was going to recommend getting a german tarot deck, but I had a feeling it was more than 34 cards and it is indeed 54. it's a shame since there are some great card games using that deck.
>>
>>48037295
Don't like Tokaido.
>>
Anybody know if this is any good?
>>
>>48040056
I'd learn towards the 'less than likely to be good' side since it's based on a decades old IP and more likely looking for the nostalgia sales. Unless the designers have an excellent track record I wouldn't jump in and pull the trigger without seeing some serious reviews first.
>>
>>48040551
Fair enough. I just wondered if I should add it to that rec list I made.

On an unrelated note, 34% off Heroes of Normandie on the Steam sale, worth it or not?
>>
>>48040056
I still remember Elf Quest but then again I am quite old.
That being said I know nothing about the game. I didn't even know it existed until just now.
>>
>>48041006
Only if you really, really want to try out the system without buying in. It's not a great adaptation.
>>
>>47999331
WTF! Also did you spring for the expansion?
>>
>>48000342
Where'd you find heroquest?
>>
>>48042659
that is the expansion. It's stupid big

a couple other photos >>48002509
>>
>out for delivery

oh man
>>
>>48044788
>not telling us what you ordered
>>
>>48044817
sorry, bought these
>>47996748

and they just arrived. love that new board game smell
>>
File: pic1807124_1024x1024.png (721 KB, 700x412) Image search: [Google]
pic1807124_1024x1024.png
721 KB, 700x412
I just picked up xia: legends of a drift system. Maybe it is just the new game buzz, but it is so fucking good. The 2nd printing was just released.
>>
>>48045406
>one of the tiles for seeland that is meant to be a secret has a scratch on it like someone dragged a bent open paperclip across it
ree

not enough damage to bother getting a replacement, but just enough to bug me.
>>
File: 1450548250653.jpg (272 KB, 908x720) Image search: [Google]
1450548250653.jpg
272 KB, 908x720
>>48045491
Oh man I played this and had a blast. Not much of a game to it but it's fun just moving around and exploring.
>player carrying honeymoon couple for "fun in the sun
>makes a blind jump
>warps into the sun
>mfw
>>
>>48046164
There is a lot of game to it if you have the right group, but I definitely can see how you can feel that way with all the ameritrash luck and dice rolls. There are so many strategies to get fame and knowing how to switch strategy on the fly to stay off the radar is awsome.
>>
>>48008561
>>48008716
>>48008760

Holy shit, that's an incredibly convoluted way to do Dungeonquest combat. It's paper/Rock/scissors, and 2/3 of those results you get hurt because Dungeonquest doesn't care about you. Repeat until something is dead.
>>
>>48045491

I actually managed to get the Kickstarter edition from a guy for like 80 bucks last weekend. Well it was actually some wargaming stuff but yeah. Love the game.
>>
>>48042388
Well, that's a shame.
>>
sorry I'm laste to answer. I was looking get some game that have potential to become competitive. I played magic but I don't know but it doesn't interest me anymore. for X-wing I'm not a fan of star wars but I can give credit that the minis look nice. Netrunner might be a possible option but then I remember the total amount of expansions available , I think is a little late for me.

what else there's in the market?
>>
>>48048490
AGoT LCG is gaining momentum locally.
Again, it's a collectible customizable card game, and will mostly appeal to fans of the series, so I wouldn't bet on it blowing up bigtime.
>>
>>48049321
AGoT 2.0 right?
>>
File: images.jpg (11 KB, 304x166) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11 KB, 304x166
It has been out for awhile. What is the verdict?

I want to buy the trays for my normalfag zombie game.
>>
>>48048003
Might just be my lingering irritation that they launched with a ton of elements of even just the core boardgame missing. I'll give it another shot and get back to you if they've significantly improved it.
>>
>>48050133

I still say depends

>Own Zombicide Modern?

Not worth it. Game feels like a minor system update, with some neat new game components. Only get it if you absolutely love the d&d theme, otherwise, it plays and feels exactly the same as every other time you've played zombicide

>Don't own Zombicide Modern?

Worth buying. Zombicide is a solid arcade/rpg coop experience. Rules are simple to learn by yourself and incredibly easy to teach to others.
>>
File: 7cb0c578a86a4ba297d4c274eb40685a.jpg (347 KB, 1500x2100) Image search: [Google]
7cb0c578a86a4ba297d4c274eb40685a.jpg
347 KB, 1500x2100
>>48048490

The DBZ CCG seems to have quite a strong competitive scene. Regional tournament attendance was stronger than Netrunner's.
>>
>>48050327
Well thank you very much for that, anon. I am keeping my hard earned disabilitybux
>>
>>48050327
much as I hate to agree with someone who usually has just the worst taste, in this case Talismayne is spot on.
>>
Anyone here play a lot of heavier games? I own (and have played extensively) FCM, Agricola, PG, and Eclipse and really like all of them. I wanna get another economy game, but I am not sure which one: Indonesia (reprint), 1846, Brass, or Arkwright. All of them seem really interesting, but I was hoping for some opinions.
>>
File: IMG_20160629_234022.jpg (5 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_234022.jpg
5 MB, 4160x3120
>>48048490
Guild Ball is starting to explode, at least in my area. If you live in England then it has already exploded. It's a miniatures skirmish game, but the buy-in is cheap ($100 / team), the models are fantastic, and the game itself is one of the best I've played. Tense, tight, crazy amount of depth, each guild feels so ridiculously different, it's fantastic.

Plus, you can have a bear that plays soccer. Who doesn't want that?
>>
>>48052742
Fantasy soccer a la blood bowl or something else? Either way sounds interesting as fuck. What other guilds exist?
>>
File: IMG_20160629_234413.jpg (5 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_234413.jpg
5 MB, 4160x3120
>>48052795
It's gridless, unlike Blood Bowl, and it's half sports game (Blood Bowl) and half skirmish game (Malifaux), but you've got the general idea. You'll have 6 models on the field at a time; 1 captain, 1 mascot, and 4 players, trying to score points by scoring goals with the ball (4 VP) and taking out enemy players (2 VP). First to 12 VP wins the game.

The other guilds are the Fisherman (pic related), the Brewers, the Butchers, the Engineers, the Alchemists, the Masons, the Morticians, and then the Union. The Union are a bit unique in that each Union player will scab out for other teams, but they can be played as a team of their own.

In my opinion, the best part about the game is how different the teams are. The Hunters I've got specialize in ranged attacks and movement control, dropping traps and snares and bleeds at a range while nipping away at the wings. They're all individually good at kicking, but their abilities aren't well suited to a goal scoring game so they tend to lean on getting kills. In comparison, the Fishermen are all about playing ball. Nobody plays ball better than the Fishermen do. They can hardly harm a fly, but a 3 goal game is what they play for.
>>
File: IMG_20160629_233439.jpg (5 MB, 4160x3120) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160629_233439.jpg
5 MB, 4160x3120
>>48052865
And here's my Union guys. The Union are unique and quite cool; while they don't have a unifying theme and game mechanism focus, each individual player is a star player in their own right. It's like a team of Michael Jordan's. They don't work together all that well, but they're very customizable and flexible and always fun to play.
>>
>>48052865
>>48052894
I've pay a watch to the guild ball page and I've got to say this looks so silly and yet I've love it.
Yeah I've been looking a miniature game to get into. I've thinking in maybe dreadball, deadzone or infinity but this game sounds like my coup of tea ands everything I've been looking for. Now the question is. Do i have chances to bring this where I live? Mind you I don't live in near England but soccer is a huge thing so it might be easy to introduce to the people here.
>>
>>48052976
If you live in the States then I'd say you stand a chance. Discount Games Inc has loads of Guild Ball stock with a very low free shipping threshold and the deepest discount I've found on GB stuff so far (which still isn't that deep, but it beats MSRP). If you can get even one other person playing the game visibly at your FLGS you stand a good chance of drawing others in, especially once you've painted your teams and have a good playmat. Heck, there may even be FLGS's that are starting to have Guild Ball players already there.

If you're outside of the States, though, then this I don't know. I don't really know how FLGS culture works outside of the US, and depending on where you are the distribution status could be pretty bad as the game is still on its early legs; they just got wide-scale distribution over here in the US, the rest of the world is probably still coming slowly.
>>
>>48046002
Is it bad?
I've been pretty handy about repairing my damaged game pieces, if you take a pic I may be able to offer a hand.
>>
>>48053015
how recent is Guild ball?
any online retailer that sells GB?
>>
New question
>Anyone use anything to seal their games? What? How did it turn out?

Best I've found so far is Mod Podge. Best to do it when new so the pieces don't get blown around. Saved my carcassone multiple time
>>
File: seeland.jpg (1009 KB, 1890x934) Image search: [Google]
seeland.jpg
1009 KB, 1890x934
>>48053237
here you go. it's honestly not that big of a deal since they're just hidden crop values, it's not like it's a social deduction game. that would warrant getting a replacement.
>>
>>48050322
Yeah, I checked the negative reviews - seems like all vidya is released unpolished these days...
>>
>>48055540
Bloodborne had long load times but that's about it.
>>
>>48053376
General release was last year.
Miniature market, monkey sword, discount games inc, muse on minis all carry models.
>>
>>48053809
Got tips for sealing tons of diminutive chits that have already been punched? Can banged up tokens and pieces be repaired with modpodge?
>>
>>48056815
I don't know that they can be 'repaired' but they can certainly be sealed. If you are going to use a spray sealer of any sort I'd suggest the following - get some of the 'blue' painter's tape (minimal / no adhesive residue) and make long lopes of it with the sticky side up. Temporarily stick your chits to the tape while spraying them so they don't blow all over and stick to each other (which would be a disaster). Then carefully remove them before they dry to the tape. You might want a couple of pairs of tweezers.
>>
>>48055759
I dunno, every time I've read the negative revews for most games on Steam, 80% of the bad reviews come out in the first month or two, and mostly consist of "controls are wonky" and "crashes all the damn time".
>>
File: 1467388887854468007667.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
1467388887854468007667.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Its happening. After 7 months, twilight imperium is coming to the table. Better yet, it is with 6 people. Been years since we had that number.

Now this is how you celebrate Canada day.
>>
File: Twilight Imperium Tech chart.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Imperium Tech chart.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48058690
You lucky bastid! Have some TI3 goodness. Hope the game is awesome. :)
>>
File: TI3 races and tech.png (92 KB, 1137x749) Image search: [Google]
TI3 races and tech.png
92 KB, 1137x749
>>48058690
>>48060769
>>
>>48058690
Screw you guys! I'm derailing this thread into a board gaming thread and you can't stop me!
>>
>>48058690
>>
File: Tech overlay for race card.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Tech overlay for race card.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48060838
>>
File: TI3 Preset Maps.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
TI3 Preset Maps.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>48060891
>>
>>48060914
>>
>>48060934
STEEV will bet me for posting this as it's 'to large' for a good game. ;)
>>
File: TI3 ShardsMap - 3 Galaxies 6P.png (4 MB, 2205x2093) Image search: [Google]
TI3 ShardsMap - 3 Galaxies 6P.png
4 MB, 2205x2093
>>48060959
STEEV will *beat* me for that... (and for being bad at grammar and spelling apparently too.)
>>
File: TI3 ShardsMap - 6P.png (3 MB, 2205x2093) Image search: [Google]
TI3 ShardsMap - 6P.png
3 MB, 2205x2093
>>48060977
Ha!

>>48058690
Make sure you hit Board Game Geek / FFG's site for the most recent Errata / FAQs. And I hope some of the uploads might be useful. Good Gaming.
>>
Local FLGS is running a promo event for Imperial assault this weekend, worth checking out? it's been on my wishlist for a while but not actually played it
>>
>>48061156
Why wouldn't you check out a free promo of a game you're interested in? The only game I've regretted buying so far out of 130+ in my collection is the one that I could have tried a promo game and didn't.
>>
File: SHIT YEAH.jpg (207 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
SHIT YEAH.jpg
207 KB, 1280x720
>>47996208
This is gonna sound kinda speshul snowflake, but recently I've been adapting Key to the Kingdom to a Tabletop RPG format.
>>
>>48061032
Over the years I made sure to keep people up to date, its more that we've played alternate scenarios or with prebuilt maps, so playing the game from set up to end means some things needed to be looked over.

As is, we have:
Ghosts
Clan of Saar
Barony of letnev
Sardaak nor
Nexus virus
Jol nar (me)

I am not feeling so hot about being the only non combat efficient dude. Guess its PDS and deep space cannon all the way for me.
>>
File: sm02.jpg (66 KB, 1263x715) Image search: [Google]
sm02.jpg
66 KB, 1263x715
>>48061961
Nice! I wouldn't worry quite so much about not being uber-combat oriented. TI3 is all about keeping your eye on the objectives and completing yours while thwarting the others from completing theirs. To much reliance on combat routinely costs players the game.

I haven't had time / opportunity to play any Space 4x board games face to face lately, but I've been playing a lot of 'Triton' from Ironhelmet Games which is a web based 4x game.
>>
>>48062076
I think I mispoke. It has been years since we've played, but we have played a dozen or so sessions since I bought the game in 2009. I'm no newbie. But the advice is nice. You bgg anons are so comfy when not being triggered by namefags and /pol oriented bait.
>>
>>48062244
Heh, I am a 'tripfag'. But only on the /bgg/ threads, and not all the time obviously since I post on other threads here too and it's way to easy to forget and leave the trip on by accident.
>>
File: KttK.jpg (253 KB, 497x334) Image search: [Google]
KttK.jpg
253 KB, 497x334
>>48061827
Posting comparatively better box art
>>48062244
Well, I can't argue with that...
>>
>>48062244
The regulars are almost always comfy.
>>
>>48057701
Bloodborne is a PS4 exclusive made with support from Sony, I would have been surprised if it ran like that.
>>
File: Twilight Imperium.jpg (234 KB, 900x582) Image search: [Google]
Twilight Imperium.jpg
234 KB, 900x582
>>48058690
>>
>>47996208
Any expansions planned for Forbidden Stars?
>>
>>48065560
We can only hope anon, but it doesn't look likely.
>>
Been playing and buying a lot of Cerberus engine games as of late, trying to get the Naruto deck building game without overpaying, but I'm probably going to have to shell out $100 for the game and promo card for it.

Really dislike cryptozoic for this first edition promo card BS, fucked out of most sets because I'm so late in the game, and no one sells them.
>>
>>48064958
Die in a fire, you bastard.
>>
>>48065560
>>48065775
Rumor has it that FFG is losing the WH40k license, so no, it does not look likely at all.

Source of the rumor is the Conquest community; FFG is dropping it like a goddamn rock as fast as they can, presumably to get product out ahead of any license loss so they can continue to produce it.
>>
>>48069081
>Rumor has it that FFG is losing the WH40k license
So no second CitOW expansion either, but I wasn't really expecting one.
Well fuck.
>>
File: talisman_4th_ed.jpg (722 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
talisman_4th_ed.jpg
722 KB, 1200x1200
i havnt played hero quest, or any D&D board games.
but i find this to hit all the thropes and cliches just fine.

> ctrl f
- no results

its good.
>>
Betrayal on House on the Hill was a lot of fun. Traitor opened a portal to hell and the whole house collapsed around us, two bad rolls from the player attempting an exorcism in the chapel cost us the game. So, a loss, but it really didn't feel like one, we were so engrossed with the story, and trying to roleplay
So satisfying.
>>
>>48070865
Why don't you just run a roleplaying campaign?
>>
>>48071916
lots of possible reasons, but I'd guess it has something to do with either not wanting to bother going through all the hassle for a one shot, or the other players being much more open to playing a board game than an RPG.
>>
>>48070865

I'm entering full panic mode about the expansion. I wasnt too hot on Sarkeesian & Quinn being involved with the game but I had somehow convinced myself that their impact on the game will be minimal.

Now I heard Quinn's scenario involves fighting an evil politician and is named "Make America Disintegrate again".

I'm also afraid it's gonna be full of lolrandumb humor because Pendelton Ward is also in. And there's a scenario about the lucky charms Leprechaun apparently.

For fuck's sake.
>>
File: kemet.jpg (421 KB, 1280x890) Image search: [Google]
kemet.jpg
421 KB, 1280x890
Got myself yesterday Kemet, the egyptian theme and creature controlling made me always curious when I saw the box in the store. The expansion doesn't see my kind of thing, though. So I'll stick with the base set.

I also was very tempted for some western-horror board game (shadow of brimstone?), but the price of base sets + expansion is just too much dough.

Last game I played was Valley of the Kings. Only drawback was that my friends and I couldn't figure out if you are supossed to "organize" your discard pile/draw pile as you wished.
>>
>>48073088
Love Valley of the Kings. And no, you are not supposed to "organize" the discard pile. Things get put into in the order you play them and you are allowed to look through it (but not change the order of the cards) on other players turns.

Which set did you guys play? Base or Afterlife?
>>
>>48072787
lawl, what did you honestly expect. There was never any possibility that it wasn't going to be complete garbage. The original game is tedious boredom and this was, at best, ever going to be just more of the same dross, and at this rate, going to be an entirely new stratosphere of shit.
>>
>>48073148
Base set. The game really gets better after a second time, when you get to know the abilities of some cards by heart.

Thanks for the tip. That would mean that as soon as your draw pile is empty, you just have to flip the discard pile and reuse it again, right? So is the same principle like in Thunderstone (without the shuffling).
>>
>>48073207
Actually I just checked the rules. Cards can go into your discard in the order of your choosing, and when you need to draw additional cards and your draw pile is empty you shuffle and flip you discard pile to become your new draw pile.

Afterlife is pretty good too, I'm keen for the 3rd set coming out soon.
>>
>>48069684
Talisman ain't too popular round these parts... personally, I like it fine (but can understand why other people don't), and the Steam version makes for good podcast vidya i.e. you mute the sound, put on a podcast and alt-tab back for an hour.
>>48072787
Well... shit.
>>
File: 1424837945447.jpg (47 KB, 430x290) Image search: [Google]
1424837945447.jpg
47 KB, 430x290
>>48058690
Alright all right folks, it's blog time.

We made some of the most boneheaded moves, had the most lackluster mid game, and had one hell of a late game. Just to reiterate, we had two newbs (Barony and Clan), myself as the universities, wife trying out Ghosts for the first time, and a close friend and his brother being Sardaak Nor and Nekro virus respectively. Virus and I think we will get along great as neighbors, as I can send tribute ships every once in a while to give him a free tech, and he leaves me alone.
We open up with ghosts trading, and bulyling me into giving her my trade 3 contract. In what will haunt me for the rest of the game, I decide to be stubborn and give her what for, demanding she convince a player to trade me their trade 2 for my remaining 1. She laughs, I end up with zero contracts. Jokes about "everyone get's their trade goods now!" abound for the rest of the day/night. I never get a contract until last round of the game.

She gets her commupances though. Spreading herself too thin, three different raids on her territory reduce her army to a measly destroyer guarding a system and some ground troops back home. I, meanwhile, am building a PDS network around mecatol rex and my home system. Everyone else is starting to feel tight as few quality planets are up for sale. Clan and I quickly get to 3 points in the first few hours.

I never see another point again.

It starts with Nekro deciding he needs my green credit planet for an objective, loses the ground battle, and has a nice big fleet hovering over my front yard. I decide its time to pull out the big guns, tech to war sun...and proceed to lose a battle to him, giving him the secret plans to the death star. I never manage to get the resources to build one myself (no trade, so never got micro, and very few resource laden planets), while he is now terrorizing my empire with his fully loaded and protected ball of death. The rest of the table looks on nervously.
>>
File: die.jpg (91 KB, 597x437) Image search: [Google]
die.jpg
91 KB, 597x437
>>48073478
Ghosts is starting to rebuild from the turn 2/3 calamities, I am rebuilding fleets and losing them just as fast to the marauding nekro, giving him all of the technology. Clan is getting filthy rich, sardak nor and barony are going heavy into the pds/deep space cannon nastiness.

The mid game was about 8 hours later, and included stupidities such as my trying to sick thugs on the nekro virus for an upcoming vote, then realizing he never votes... He responded with an inhuman gurgle of glee. Nekro, on his part, forgot he starts with daxcive animators. He winds up with 4 large fleets, but all his gruond forces were shuttled to my front door, and eventually get ground down or stranded. When he loses his death star to an angry Sardakk army, he quickly rebuilds a new one...but has no leftover cash for ground forces. Had he remembered the daxcive animators, he likely would have had a substantial nanomachine soldier army waiting for the glorious second ball of death back home.

Late game objectives includes a win the game for holding all planets in two enemy home systems. Sardak eventually goes for it, miscounts the amount of ground forces he can shuttle or spare for the second home system invasion, and barely loses taking the nekro virus home, despite direct hitting the death star 2. He then fails warping into the Clan's backyard and taking both planets. Of course, clan's vulnerability was because he moved a 7 cruiser/1 carrier army into mecatol for his secret objective and stretch to point victory. At this point, nekro is spent, barony has amassed an incredible army that seems content to patrol his home and inner systems, and norr has failed winning the game, and I am the only one that could try and kill some capital ships with dreadnoughts nearby. I blow up some fighters and lose it all in a blaze of glory. We expect clan to win.

But then, ghosts gotta ghost.
>>
File: I can haz mecatol rex.jpg (29 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
I can haz mecatol rex.jpg
29 KB, 360x270
>>48073478
>>48073557
Nice. I wondered if we were going to hear about the game's outcome. Necro is always a bitch no matter who plays them if that player has any experience.
>>
File: 1433710348945.jpg (62 KB, 765x440) Image search: [Google]
1433710348945.jpg
62 KB, 765x440
>>48073557
Throughout these activities, ghosts have been quietly out-teching the schools, and keep praying nekro never notices their player board (he never does, too focused on fending off two armies and avoiding pds fire from venturing too deep into the centre of the map).

By multicultral appropriating my ability, and getting choice planets, she now has a -5 credit to blue techs, a -3 credit to green, and shoots all the way up the ladder to advance fighters, the gravity rift drive, and her wormhole generator. Coupled with several flank speeds she has drawn throughout the game, her maneuverability potential is insane.

With a modest batch of armies, she strikes when everyone else is spent and about to pass. She takes my home system first, moving 4 spaces with flank speed and gravity drive. What should have been a heavily defended (at least, in space), home system had been partially re rerouted to try and stop clan and pick off some of his high influence planets (had secret not gone off, he could have tried the spend influence objectives). Her bombards and mechanized unites take me apart with ease.

Next, its on through the slave wormhole generator to the a-hole next to the Norr. Remember, he spent everything going for the win himself, and has only pds shots and a destroyer or two guarding an empty homeworld. She takes that with ease.

Clan achieves secret objective, ghosts achieve win the game. We are too tired to go through rules to remember tie breaking/objective scoring order, call them both victors. Ghosts had leadership in that round though, so I think she would have won the game.

It was intense, maddening, and I finally have weekends off in august, so we are gonna set up some game days. What a treat, despite the lacklustre middle part.

All told, we started at 2:30, ended at 12 ish. The veterans were surprised, as we had gotten games down to 4-6 hours of gameplay, but it was also the first time in a looong time we had 6 at the table.

What a game.
>>
>>48073634
Sounds like a glorious game, I'm jelly.
>>
>>48073613
Ya, we were first shown their power a good 6 or 7 years ago, when the guy who introduced us to the game piloted them and bullied my friend into sending a tribute ship every round, on pain of invasion. Getting a free tech and forcing neighbor to waste a resource and command counter a round? Just brutal. Mind you, that man was amazing at playing the social game, which most of my friends cannot do.

I miss you, mongoose.

>>48064958
See, this is something that always gets brought up, and yet it isn't my case. Reflecting last night, I realize I have played the game over 20 times in the past 7 or so years I have owned the game. Introduced a shit ton of people to it as well. some never wanted to touch it again, others are now knowledgeable enough that they are happy to come and round out the table to a nice number if need be. The main reason it hasn't gotten played in the past couple of years is I spent 3 years out west (still managed to find a random posse of strangers to play it one night in Victoria. Got called space hitler and never got another invitation), and then later, always working weekends or evenings while my friends moved on to 9-5 office jobs. I was the problem child. But that is gonna change soon. And then there will be games. Yessss....
>>
>>48073649
It was a weird one. We got exhausted by a super long and dry mid game, and almost wanted to call it quits and points were so hard to come by. But then the big plays and plots were being revealed, and everyone was hooked on staying on for that last round. Crazy how the game can go from zero to 11 in a heartbeat.
>>
>>48072702
Less rules, GM is on holiday, premade oneshot scenarios instead of full campaigns, gaming group isn't reliable enough for a full campaign, plus it's just a nice boardgmane that gets kicked up a notch if your priest runs around screaming gibberish in fake latin when he fails his last sanity roll.

We do run a Trail of Cthulhu campaign with a different group.
>>
Anybody play Eclipse? Anybody dislike how dicey the combat is? Anybody houserule it differently?

Been talking to a friend about using the expected value of the dice instead of rolling, making combat deterministic. Seems like it'd change the pace a bit, stopping stalled expansion when you get unlucky against aliens, but I'm still not sure how the player interactions might change. Best I can tell people will never commit to a fight unless they know they can win, but that's pretty much the strategy already, right?

Problematically it also means you get fractional damage, which I know our usual players will glaze over at. You can just multiply everything (damage and hull) by 6 though. Pretty sure this makes Hull much more powerful, but I'm really not sure.

We spit-balled a double-blind deckbuild kind of thing but that's even more of a mess.
>>
File: Talisman Cover 2nd Ed.jpg (61 KB, 366x500) Image search: [Google]
Talisman Cover 2nd Ed.jpg
61 KB, 366x500
>>48069684
I've got the 2nd Edition version (best version ha! <wink wink>) and I play it occasionally with one of my groups for nostalgia grins and giggles, but speaking it terms of game mechanics it isn't very good. It's mostly 'what is the least bad thing I can do with this random dice roll?'

Many of the 'classic' American board games suffer the same issues as do games like Catan. It's less about executing great strategy and more about praying to the dice gods for those critical numbers you desperately need.
>>
>>48073832
Yeah, I'm a 4x fan - and I like playing Eclipse. There are several deficiencies with Eclipse. The Politics (or rather a lack of real rewards for engaging in them), random tech availability, and the combat system. The designers faced an obvious problem - if the combat system purely rewards the best strategists, then only those people are going to want to play it and the game tends to play out in a similar way each time. To prevent this random elements (like the tech draws and system tile draws) and dice mechanics were obviously introduced. The issue then becomes one of balancing 'expected results in line with tech used by a given side (and the resources invested gaining said tech) vs the actual results. The idea is that war isn't a 'sure thing' means that victory isn't guaranteed for the strongest side with the dice mechanics. Obvious examples include plasma missile fleets that either annihilate the enemy the first combat round or go down in flames themselves a couple combat rounds later. But short of going full-on 'war game' though, I'm not sure what an easy fix would be.

One of the reasons I like Eclipse in spite of its flaws is the ease in teaching it to new players, and the fact that they can still have fun / win the game even if they aren't uber-strategists. The random elements allow for strange outcomes and unexpected come-backs.

Continued in a moment...
>>
>>48074053
That said, if you're looking for other games that are 'Space 4x' but may be better at the overall process - then check out:

Space Empires 4x (from GMT) based on the old school PC game of the same name. It's sort of the 'grand-daddy' of the genre.

There's also Hegemonic which has a bit of complexity to the conflict resolution mechanics - but is well balanced. You can contest other players via military, industrial, or political means to gain control of systems. Conflict is resolved by who has more points plus a D6 and a player can expend a 'tech card' (which have set points values) to increase their odds of winning.

Another option is Exodus (you want 2nd edition - better game components) plus the 'Edge of Extinction' expansion that does a great job of fleshing out the various factions and gives them greater strategic depth. Exodus is better balanced when it comes to politics vs combat than Eclipse and still allows players to build custom ship designs, etc.

And the 'Mac-Daddy' of space 4x games - Twilight Imperium 3. This game is great as it is superbly balanced. The drawback is that it is rules heavy at times and can have very long overall run times to finish a game. TI3 can be even more of a challenge for new players who get distracted by all the tech and military options and forget to concentrate on their objective cards which is how to win the game.

Harder to find / out of print options include:

Ascending Empires - which uses dexterity mechanics (you flick tokens to move your ships) which is unusual.

And Empires of the Void where as new worlds are discovered, players can either strip them for resources, or add that world's race to their empire for the abilities that race posses.

There's also a game called 'Burning Suns' which may still be around, but I haven't really seen any good reviews - one Anon tried it and reported that random races can vastly help / hurt in the early and mid game, and that the victory conditions are to long.
>>
>>48074158
Other games that aren't true 'Space 4x' but might scratch your 'Empire Building' itch:

Eminent Domain (and various expansions) where players use a deck of cards / drafting mechanics to explore worlds and build an empire. (Does not feature player elimination and is thus 3x at best.)

Quantum (also a 3x due to no player elimination mechanics) - has a cool mechanic where you roll dice and your dice results become your ships (1 = a scout, 5 = a battleship or dreadnought, etc) and you place them at various locations.

And there's 'Among The Stars' and 'Star Realms' which are both card based games. There's also 'Core Worlds' too but I'm not sure about its mechanics as I don't own any of these 3.
>>
File: IMG_20160702_004048.jpg (2 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160702_004048.jpg
2 MB, 3120x4160
I forgot how enjoyable this game is, must take it out more often. Perfect for solo
>>
>>48074481
I just got it and I've lost all 3 games I've played, but it's incredibly fun. it manages to be incredibly intense
>>
>>48074759
Have it about 6 months, only played a few times, maybe ten or so, but I only recall one win and that could have been when I was less clued in on the rules
Its extremely enjoyable even when shit hits the fan and knocks the fan over and starts a fire and the shit was actually dynamite
>>
>>48074991
yeah, most of the time I don't feel like it's bullshit
but then I make it to the final room with 4 guys left, completely wipe out one of the blip piles, and then lose because of one bad turn where none of my attacks miss but every single one of theirs hits dead on. oh well, still provides some of the best tension I've experienced in a board game, and it's easily my favorite solo game.
>>
File: Death Angel.jpg (89 KB, 960x567) Image search: [Google]
Death Angel.jpg
89 KB, 960x567
>>48074481
I've got the actual Space Hulk board game. (OK, I have all 3 versions of it if you must know...) But I haven't picked up Death Angel. I take it it's worth a look? It doesn't seem prohibitively expensive which is nice.
>>
>>48075393
O would definitely recommend it, though I've no experience with the other games. Easy to set up, easy enough to teach, perfect for solo, should be gotten sorta cheap and easy to transport If that's a plus. And just a great game for getting screwed over hard by
>>
Hey guys, can I get some suggestions for not too complicated card games that can be played with 2 people?
>>
Played Prospectus last night. I'll admit that the cube crystal ball kept me from passing on it outright. It wound up taking like 3 hours to play which is less than ideal
>>48072787
Expect everything Mike Selinker touches to be shit, always. It's very rarely not shit
>>48076598
Tides of Time/Madness, "R," Lost Cities
>>
>>48076598
Jaipur
Star Realms
7 Wonders Duel
>>
>>48076598
Valley of the Kings
>>
>>48072787
I'm glad I was never really interested in the game anyway. I am sorry for the way you feel, anon. If Scytheanon is still here, does the game really live up to the hype?
>>
Any good expansion for Carcasonne? today I went to an "tourney" and I only got to 2nd place, also an free expansion for the main game. The Tower.
>>
>>What have you been playing?

Dead of Winter, Betrayal at the House on the Hill, Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror, Carcassone, Game of Thrones

>>What have you stopped playing?

I'm just getting back into the scene after many years, so I can't really say I've recently stopped playing anything.

>>What have you recently bought?

Dead of Winter. Only played a couple games so far but it seems fun.

>>What are you looking forward to buying?

I keep hearing great things about Star Wars: Imperial Assault. I'll probably pick it up once what we're playing right now starts to become stale.
>>
>Smallworld
>Cosmic Encounter
>King of Tokyo
>Lords of Waterdeep

Which two games should I take with me to play with my family over the summer, /tg/?
>>
>>48081746
all of the above.
>>
>>48074481
?

>>48081746
CE really, really needs one of the expansions with the rewards cards.
>>
>>48082622
Space Hulk Death angel
>>
>>48077711
>>48078478
>>48081363
Thanks, I'll look at them.
>>
I played Kanzume Goddess today. 3 against 3. It felt like an oldschool JRPG battle. What a shame it has the echi art it has...
>>
>>48081507
The first two expansions for Carcassonne are widely considered to be the best. (Traders & Builders, Inns & Cathedrals) Opinions on the other expansions vary, but pretty much everyone likes those to the extent that many people consider the game incomplete without them. In my opinion, they're the only two large expansions worth getting.

I also like some of the smaller expansions, like the Ferry (just 8 tiles, but it has a larger-than expected effect on the game) and the King & Robber Baron (easily proxied, and gives another reason to finish opponents' features)
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.