[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Estate sale mystery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 20160627_083958.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160627_083958.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
I bought a ton of old school metal figurines from an estate sale yesterday. We're talking 70s and 80s grenadier stuff. A good number of the pieces are broken but I've been able to piece them back together.

Except for this one. It kinda looks siege related? I do have some siege engines but it doesn't look like it fits any. Any old school dnd nerds recognize it?
>>
File: 20160627_084454.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160627_084454.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
A few more of the miniatures I bought just because they're awesome. I spent like 30 bucks for over a hundred of these.
>>
>>47988516
It looks like a counterweighted arm for a medieval crane, or for a well, where the counterweight is for making it easier to haul up a bucket of water, but that doesn't really seem like the thing you'd get in a pile of wargames miniatures.

The obvious answer would be that it's for a trebuchet or other counterweight warmachine but it looks very wrong for that because of the attachment point of the arm, and the very dinky counterweight, but that might just be shitty sculptors being shitty.

Do you have any other parts that might fit with it?
>>
>>47988691
Also, as with most miniatures that old, there's probably a loooot of lead in that lot.

Not that you're gonna eat them or anything, but it never hurts to be careful.
>>
File: 20160627_093327.jpg (5 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160627_093327.jpg
5 MB, 5312x2988
>>47988691
this is all there is for war machines I think.
>>
>>47988722
is this actually true? I have kids and one of them has been handling them since yesterday.
>>
>>47988516
>>47988691
>>47988855

It's either supposed to be a trebuchet arm with a barrel attached (hook would go on a cylinder near the base)
that barrel makes me wonder if the original model wasn't supposed to be a medieval bomb-lobber tossing barrels of smoking gunpowder/alcohol soaked rags over the wall.
Or maybe they went world eaters style and either carried it to the gate to boom boom pow it open.
>>
>>47988978
If so then I could probably easily recreate it if I ever need a trebuchet.
>>
>>47988865
Yeah. I had a whole bunch of lead miniatures when I was little (mid-80s), and my friends and I were reminded to basically wash our hands extremely thoroughly after playing with them. It added an element of danger to our early experiences of D&D that has been sorely lacking since the general switch over to white metal miniatures.
>>
>>47990430
That really curtails one's ability to snack while in a protracted dnd session.
>>
>>47988865
You'll be able to tell the lead minis by weight and the relative softness of the metal.

Metal minis in general should be handled with knowledge. ALWAYS wash your hands after handling bare metal minis and before handling food.
>>
>>47990457
Not if you paint them. Then they're fine.
>>
>>47990457
First they switched over to white metal miniatures, and then the obesity epidemic. Coincidence? Hardly.
>>
>>47990489
Because the Age of Litigation is what caused the change to pewter and drastically reduced the tendency of kids to be allowed to play outside, you toolbag.

Not a coincidence, but not the causal link you want to smirk about.
>>
>>47990544
Also about the same time computer games really "came home" (look up the release date of Doom), and the kids who had always had HFCS in their drinks hit puberty.

A perfect storm for producing fat kids, really.
>>
>>47988516
Check Stuff of Legends (solegends) and the Lost Minis wiki. Grenadier and maybe RAFM, who did (and still do, I think) a bunch of siege equipment.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.