[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Favorite multiclass?
>>
>>47984143
>Favorite multiclass?
Sorc/adin. Best gish build for people who like to have options. Makes a really good party face monster hunter.
>>
>>47984143
>Favorite multiclass?
Hunter Barbarian
>>
>>47984143
>Fighter/Mage/Thief

"So many abilties!"
>>
Is there any reason I couldn't refluff a Chain Pact Imp as a boggart? I have a GOOlock in mind that a boggart is a better thematic fit for especially if boggarts are just the cilia of a macroscopic being brushing against the material plane
>>
File: images (87).jpg (9 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images (87).jpg
9 KB, 443x332
>>47984462
>>
>>47984505
well they're relatively simple in comparison. but fluff is fluff
giant goat = bison = ox, even though only giant goat exists in 5e now
>>
>>47984505
>>47984744
My concern is that boggarts, in my mind, are more chaotic neutral. It says familiars act independently but obey orders, would that sort of alignment shift break the rules?
>>
File: 1464230675197.jpg (168 KB, 1033x679) Image search: [Google]
1464230675197.jpg
168 KB, 1033x679
>>47984172
This. Sorcadin is the only gish that lets you smite and cast freely, since sorcerer lets you quicken spells. Bard would be close if it got the SCAG cantrips (speaking of which, why didn't bard get those? Valor Bard was one of the only THREE gishes to not get any love from that.)
>>
File: 64646947.jpg (111 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
64646947.jpg
111 KB, 500x349
>>47984172

> builds

Ugh. Why do people still play this game? I guess you guys have some sort of complex where you enjoy being punished by a game system that rewards the best builds and not the best roleplaying? This game ties you down and restricts you at every turn. I went to Adventurer's League and found a one-hour argument over how chain-grappling worked, if it worked at all. Someone wanted to grapple a vampire who was grappling someone else and throw it out a window. In Dungeon World? I just have to roll a 10+, and I do it. Whereas you guys are still busy quibbling over rules that have no authority anyway.

Which RPG seems better to you?
>>
>>47984892
>Which RPG seems better to you?
The one that I can actually play. I have never met anyone in person that actually plays Dungeon World, so it is automatically worse.

Checkmate.
>>
I want to buy a a dm screen. I heard the basic one was pretty poopy. Are there any that are good from the start or will I need to modify a shitty one for it to be usefull ?
>>
>>47984855
you realize two of the other familiars are actually evil, and that two are good right?
chaotic neutral only means chaotic stupid for pc's, your pet isn't just going to btfo because you arnt entertaining enough.
its there to give the dm reason to dick around if he needs, the same way your patron can just say "nah, you dont get power anymore nigga"

all the lock familiars say that anyway, so you'd be fucked if it would come up, no matter what
>>
>>47985056
>buying a screen
the only reason you should really be doing this is you want a pretty visual barrier. folders standing up, or even manilla envelopes taped together would do the same thing. if you really need something with short rules printed on the inside, there are i think two different cheat (1 page, and 4 page) sheets in the mega that you could paste inside them
>>
>>47984143

The only multiclass I've ever done was a Warforged Fighter 7/Juggernaut 3 in 3.5, but that's basically a spiky fighter with a few extra bonus feats, so my experience is limited, even moreso now that I'm only DMing at the moment.

Paladin/Warlock looks almost too good to not play, so I think I'll make some Paladin/Warlock NPCs and/or villains.
>>
>>47985128
I could spend 10 bucks in a worse way quite easily, so I'll go pretty visual barrier
>>
Fighter Rogue. Your beefy, you have decent stats and ypur skilled enough to where you can have some impact outside of combat without spells. Plus it lets you be like most Fantasy protagonists!
>>
>>47984448
>No rage bonus damage for Dex attacks
>No spells while raging
Wow, that hurts, but not as much as the 8 Str makes it impossible to take Barbarian levels.
>>
>>47985262
Hahaha, oops. Forgot about MC ability score requirements. The points that are in int/cha can go in str, I just put them there because I like characters not to have negative mentals if there are leftover points. The barbarian level is just for unarmored defense though.
>>
>inb4 a spank is an unarmed strike
>inb4 6 meter 5 kilo gnomes
>inb4 gnome barbarian (XD)
Virt is banned. Stop emulating him.
>>
>>47985262
>>47985346
as retarded as it is, you dont need to meet the minimum requirements for a class, if its your first class
but for some reason you need to meet the requirements to leave the class and start a new one
>>
>>47985354
Fuck you.
>>
>>47985361
character with 16 con, 16 str, 11 int

scenario a)
>level 1: barbarian
>level 2: wants to MC into wizard but can't bc 11int

scenario b)
>level 1: wizard
>level 2: multiclass into barbarian

It's to prevent this fallacy.
>>
>>47985354
Spank is an unarmed strike
Gnomes RAW max size is 4ft tall, 120 lbs

gnome.... BARBARIAN??? XD
Nice, I've GOTTA try that one
>>
>>47985416
>not smart enough to quit being a wizard and hit things hard
>but smart enough to keep being a wizard
but it does add its own problem. still, they picked it for some reason, it made sense to some wizards guy
>>
>>47985465
I think it'd be fair to houserule those multiclassing requirements as base requirements for a class. They're pretty lenient overall, and it'll prevent stuff like casters dumping their casting stat and just using buff spells.
>>
>>47985416
>>47985465
>>47985509
The only reason a character shouldn't meet those requirements is if they're a Dex Paladin or Str Ranger, anyways. Even then they might want to have some of the opposite stat, for things like armor.
>>
>>47985509
yeah, its not like they're high, but still, its 5 points in a possible dump stat if you do an alt build
like >>47985529
apparently gave examples of, so il delete what i typed anyway
>>
>>47985529
>>47985561
Even a Strength ranger would probably want at least some Dex for AC, since I think they only get medium armor, but yeah, I could see it being an issue for some alternate ways of doing it.

I still think it's an improvement overall, and would help prevent some weirdness.
>>
>come up with a plan, a backup plan, and an escape plan
>don't discuss one detail one simple detail
>probably wiped the party

What's the best TPK you've been in? Our only real hope is that the dude we're fighting is out of attack spells.
>>
File: tg explains druids.png (203 KB, 1899x2181) Image search: [Google]
tg explains druids.png
203 KB, 1899x2181
some fag wanted more screencaptures
>>
File: what about bards.png (125 KB, 1872x1036) Image search: [Google]
what about bards.png
125 KB, 1872x1036
>>
>getting ready for my first game in nearly a year
>kinda queasy about the new gm but whatever
>fucking traffic get there half hour later than arranged
>"Oh anon, half the group didn't showed up and apparently one of the guys went to europe is not coming back."
>"So im gonna cancel it, since we need to find a new guy"
>we three play some brawl, watch GOT then go home
reee
>>
does the adventure paths have any crunch for character options? like new domains or other stuff etc?
>>
>>47984143
Monk/cleric.
>>
>>47984143
My DM is running an 8-player game set in a fantasy version of the French Revolution. As in, it's exactly the French Revolution, but Elves and magic and shit are normal.

Only downside so far is very inexperienced players besides three of us, and the fact that the DM and most of the players think Les Mis takes place before the revolution.

Le sigh.

So I'm running as a Noble Half-Elven Bard working as an aide to Lafayette in 1788 and general rabble-rouser. Myself, the Criminal Half-Elf Fighter, the Charlatan Half-elf Rogue, and the Noble Tiefling Druid are considering colluding together in a secret alliance against the others, with the purpose of getting us made rulers of France by the end of this.

What's the trolliest way we could take over and steer the revolution our way?
>>
>>47986670
summon a literal troll
>>
>>47986704
Sounds good. I'll mention it. But we're level 2. So...might be a while.
>>
does anyone even play 5e
these threads are dead
>>
>>47987037
amerilards are sleeping
>>
>>47987068
Hope the Eurofags pic it up soon. Insomnia is killing me.
>>
>>47987120

Too busy alternately laughing and crying about Brexit.
>>
>>47987180
Waiting to hear the magic words from that limey fuckup Brian Johnson.

"We're gonna build a wall through the chunnel, and FRANCE is gonna pay for it, I swear on me mum ya cunt!"
>>
So the Ravenloft adventure has dusk elves. Are those statted up anywhere as a subrace, or is there an indication anywhere of what subrace they're supposed to be? I didn't see any indication in Curse of Strahd, but maybe I'm blind.
>>
>>47987037
just started a new campaign two days ago.

one of the PCs is a dwarf barbarian with the exiled background. He was framed for a murder he didn't commit back in his clan and was exiled as a result. In his seclusion he found out that the head priest of his clan, who exiled him, was actually a worshipper of some evil deity and framed his sacrifice as a murder on the pc. now he wants to return and get his revenge and save his clan.

the other PC is a gnome warlock. he is quite the charlatan with different fake identities and forged documents always ready on him. his ulterior motives for teaming up with the dwarf is that he wants to infiltrate the clan along with his dwarf "friend" but in time use the resources of the clan to summon the pit demon he has a pact with into the world somewhow.
>>
File: 1415569779725.jpg (208 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
1415569779725.jpg
208 KB, 800x1000
Had an interesting idea for a game. Hoping to refine it and get some feedback from /5eg.

Okay, so session 1 the PCs play completely non-magic characters. There simply is no easy magic in-setting available. Also, everyone is human, or if they must be a demi-human they should play it as being human with some odd traits. The world is borderline RL Earth, though with different lands and cultures and whatnot.

Players are contracted to help a lord/researcher/eccentric row out to an island on the westernmost edge of the map and make sure he comes back from his expedition alive. He looks to be cataloging some sort of barbaric, long dead civilization, but it's easy money. While the lord or whatever does his research, players will deal with ancient traps, remnants of magical threats left behind (keep this rare and possibly explainable by other means), and occasionally hostile beasts or natives (goblinoids and a few others easily explainable).

Players will be mid level, and will only spend 1-2 sessions here before the lord finds what he's looking for: an ancient temple complex.The complex is dangerous, but the true danger is the Giant bound in stasis at its heart. This battle will take all the PCs' wits and skill to defeat, at which point the lord reveals his true intentions.

He opens an ancient bronze gate guarded by the monster, releasing Magic back into the world. Fantasy elements return, we skip 10 years to take up new characters. Dark Age Arthurian fantasy ensues. And Avalon rises once more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGczmeOnKNQ

What do you think /5eg? Good setup for a new adventure?
>>
>>47987412
I know I'd love it but it really depends on whether your players will take it (fairly) seriously or not
>>
File: why the fuck.jpg (21 KB, 494x298) Image search: [Google]
why the fuck.jpg
21 KB, 494x298
So I've been trying to make a pyromaniac ranger/sorcerer build, any ideas how to go about doing that?

>pic related; DM's face when I suggest that build
>>
>>47987494
Easy.
Just go ranger/sorcerer by this ratio
0/x
Where 0 = ranger levels and x = sorcerer levels
>>
>>47987445
They probably won't. Not sure if it would be better to let them know there's a sudden genre shift upcoming so they put up with not having magic or not.
>>
Hey /tg/ a friend of mine wants to use this homebrew https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Soul_Reaper,_Variant_(5e_Class).

I know that dandwiki is shit for this kind of things and everything in general, personally i dislike this page a lot but he wants to play this shit so badly that I dont wanna say to him ''No, you cant use this because this shit is too OP'' but that shit is too OP and i don't know how to nerf it. Any ideas?
>>
>>47987494

Just go full sorcerer and refluff your arcane implement as a bow.

Also:

>pyromaniac

Way to choose one of the 3 most boring, overplayed ideas in gaming.
>>
File: Elf_011.jpg (1 MB, 1064x1600) Image search: [Google]
Elf_011.jpg
1 MB, 1064x1600
>>47987302
Never mind, found the passage in Curse which describes them as basically Wood Elves. Have an elf I guess.
>>
>>47987627
Tell him he is a faggot
>>
>>47987627
It is too packed full of OPness that 1 or 2 nerfs won't make a difference. The only way to balance it is to make everything harder and have the other members feel useless. Basically, don't let him.
>>
>>47987653
But anon, pyromaniac is not
>sneaky rogue
>edgy tiefling
or
>elderly wizard
>>
>>47987653

Sounds pretty that guy.
>>
>>47985509

If they can make it work, more power to them.
>>
>>47987627
Tell him you won't accept anything from that wiki, because it is generally accepted to be shit
>>
>>47987627
Show him the death domain cleric and the undying patron warlock, if he doesn't want to play either of those then he's just trying to be a special snowflake

Death domain would be perfect for a reaper
>>
>>47987872

>implying edgy tiefling is not invariably also a pyromaniac
>>
What happens to the fetus when a pregnant druid transforms?
>>
Anyone got pdfs of homebrew Witch Hunter class option?
>>
>>47988268
It gets aborted

>>47988279
It's free on DMsguild
>>
>>47988268
I guess it just gets "stored" like equipment
Magic, don't explain shit, etc
>>
>>47988268
>>47988341
Funnily enough this ties to abortion. When is a fetus considered a new entity or life? At conception, at birth or at some other point?
>>
who wants to create a character by rolling and then making a story for the character according to it's background and traits? I will use that as a villain in my campaign. Roll 1d10 for the race.
>>
>>47988372
Technically as soon as its biological processes run independent (though parasitical) to it's host

For purposes of abortion as soon as the parasite is separated from the host organism
>>
>>47988563

no
>>
>>47988609
Parasite?
>>
>>47988733
Yes, fetuses are, by definition, parasites
>>
>>47988733
A fetus is by nature a parasitic organism until it can literally live on its own.
>>
File: fey_lamia.jpg (51 KB, 900x660) Image search: [Google]
fey_lamia.jpg
51 KB, 900x660
So I DM'd my first session of 5e yesterday. Went fairly well, although I was expecting to DM for four people and two extras showed up.

The added player count made encounters a bit too easy (running mine of phandelver), but they managed to split the party (hey let's chase this goblin over there while everyone else is looting, good idea!) which almost lead to a TPK. Sildar started grappling with Yeemik which drew some attention from the party so that they could get their shit together.

I realized that roleplaying the premade campaign characters (Sildar etc.) is much harder than I anticipated. I much rather just ad-lib everything, but at least two of my players have gone through some if not all of LMoP before (they dodged the question when I asked exactly how much) and they might start grumbling if I deviate from the script.
Does anyone have experience or advice about dealing with such players?

Pic slightly unrelated, planning to have a lamia that was banished to the feywild appear in a possible sidequest.
>>
How would you guys rule 3.5 concealment's 20% miss chance in 5e? I understand that concealment is no longer a thing, but granting disadvantage seems way stronger than the 20% miss chance. Or should i just grant disadvantage since that's the way the system works now?

maybe granting bonus to AC? thoughts?
>>
>>47988762
>>47988768
No a parasite cant be the same species as uts host.

Also is this some proaborts dehumanization of fetus?
>>
>>47988830
Rules for being hidden and for using cover are in the PHB
>>
Fetus also provides stem cells to its mother when they are injured.
>>
>>47987494
Since I'm assuming you're the guy who posted the thread earlier, the simplest way is to go Fighter with the Eldritch Knight path. Take a bow, the ranged fighting style, and the Outlander background, and then take (almost) nothing but fire spells.
>>
>>47988842
Yes it can, there is no species distinction in either the Merriam-Webster nor Oxford dictionary definitions

And not particularly, all children are parasites, even after they are born. They just go from biological to financial
>>
File: 1459390366863.jpg (134 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
1459390366863.jpg
134 KB, 500x652
>>47984143
Sort of this:
>>47985197
>>47984462

Except I'd go with Arcane Trickster/Eldritch Knight. Specifically EK 7/AT 3

Pros:
-6 Ability Score Improvements
-7d6 sneak attack dice
-Action surge for double casting once per rest
-Bonus action attack when you don't need cunning action or 2 attacks and cunning action or even versatile trickster when you need solo advantage and your familiar is not around to help
-Armor AND Shield proficiency so you can use a shield as a rogue for a nice AC boost
-Rogue Evasion and Uncanny Dodge with a little more Fighter health
-Perfectly concealed weapons summoned at will through Bond and Magical Ambush for starting encounters with a disabling spell like Hold Person
-Skill monkey with Expertise and Reliable Talent plus spell utility
-Full 1/3 Caster getting useful combat things like Greater Invisibility, Hold Person, Mirror Image, Haste, Find Familiar and Fly. Plus, double unrestricted school spell slots and double cantrips.

Cons:
-MAJOR bonus action throttling limiting you to using one class' tricks at a time
-Not sure if their spell levels actually stack properly by the RAW for multiclassing
-You are essentially just a bard with slightly more martial stuff and less magic and lacking the ability to be the party face
-Damage output will probably be slightly lower than going straight into either class alone
-Lacking the ability to specialize means you will be stepping on a lot of people's toes
-Going 8/12 may be better for an extra attribute improvement at the cost of versatile trickster and 1 sneak attack die. Or 9/11 give an indomitable die instead for the same loss.
>>
>>47988852
that doesnt answer the question. 20% miss chance isnt cover or being hidden...
>>
Whay creatures can be mounts on 5e?
>>
>>47988898
So just roll a fucking d100. >20 it's a hit.
>>
>>47988898
Depends on how you define concealment, but it's covered by those two things
>>
>>47988887
Really edgey armchair biologist.
>>
>>47988925
Any creature that is at least one size category larger than the rider, has an appropriate body shape and can be tamed
>>
>>47988939
Hey, I just calls em how I sees em desu senpai
>>
>>47988930
Hmm.... so basically disadvantage on attacks or +2 to +5 to AC and dex saves?
>>
>>47988822

If it's AL run it as close to written as possible each time, the only thing you should be scaling up/down is the number of each type of creature in each encounter.

If it's a home game, do what you want. What I personally would do is pull the two guys who had played it before aside and give them a heads up that for a couple of reasons you're about to pull away from the script and you didn't want to spring that on them.

After that, though, get in the habit of warning non-AL tables first session that you might change anything or everything from the book. Even if you never actually change anything you've given them fair warning you might so they option is open and you've created enough doubt to take arguments about meta-gaming off the table. They might think you're running things the same way as the book, or as last time, but they won't know until they know.
>>
>>47988980
Pretty much
>>
Anyone have a prior ruling on what happens when someone attempts to revive a non-dead person with a Wish or True Ressurection spell?
I have a couple of ideas, but it may come up eventually.
>>
>>47988892
>Full 1/3 Caster

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to cast 4th level spells, only cast lower spells at 4th level
>>
>>47989277
Con save against super-cancer
>>
I have never run D&D before and want to run 5th edition for some noobs.

How combat centric is this system? Which classes are good at doing stuff outside of combat for exploration? Do martials just hit meat points until bad guy meat points hit 0?
>>
>>47989278
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Seems weird but that's how the 1/3 of class levels round down works out... You would think you could round 20/3 up to 7 like the subclasses themselves do but thems the breaks.
>>
>>47989307
>How combat centric is this system?
Depends entirely on the DM but the published adventures and historical precedent place a pretty heavy emphasis on it.
>Which classes are good at doing stuff outside of combat for exploration?
Rogues and Bards are best at skills like sneaking and talking. Rangers are best at exploration. But every class has some out-of-combat skills.
>Do martials just hit meat points until bad guy meat points hit 0?
Some certainly work that way but most have some other unique options they can take in combat. Again, this depends on the DM as much as the characters to create interesting encounters.
>>
>Rolling up a level 3 illusionist wizard for a new campaign I'm gonna be playing with friends
>Only 2/14 spells actually do damage
>Everyone is already telling me I'm going to be useless
We'll see who gets the last laugh
>>
>>47989356
>Illusions
I hope you have a nice DM
>>
>>47989356
what are the two spells? phantasmal force and phantasmal killer?

also damage isnt everything, only important when you need to kill things. you know, like when youre an adventurer. oh wait.
>>
>>47989356
As a 14th level illusionist could you make an illusion of a dragon, make it real, and then have it use its frightful presence since it technically doesn't do damage or do direct harm? I have been wanting to make an illusionist for reasons like that but I am afraid the DM will reject it.
>>
are there any spells or effects that deal ability score damage in 5e? all ive been able to find is the strength drain ability on the shadow in the MM and the feeblemind spell.
>>
>>47989433
Good luck convincing your DM that giving targets disadvantage on pretty much every roll is not harmful.
>>
>>47989433
Is a dragon inanimate, or nonmagical? Both are requirements for illusory reality.
>>
>>47989383
Fire bolt and magic missile
>>
>>47989433
No illusions in 5e work that way. Illusions don't get to use the abilities of the creature's they're imitating; at best they can deal psychic damage through things like Phantasmal Force.

It is important that your DM understand the way illusions work, though. Generally the enemy doesn't automatically get a save to disbelieve the illusion, even if they saw it appear out of nowhere. They have to either spend an action making an Investigation check to see through it, or they have to try and fail to touch it or otherwise interact with it, at which point they see through it without a check.
>>
>>47989458
A better approach is to make illusions that will be harmful once no longer real. Like the bridge over the chasm, once the enemy is on it, or the cellar of the house they hid inside.
>>
>>47989471
I seemed to have conveniently looked over that part of it. Nevermind then.
>>
>>47989496
My DM barely understands light and obscurity rules. I'm never going to risk playing an illusionist
>>
>>47989623
OR maybe you should play an illusionist to force your DM to learn that shit.
>>
>>47989623
What happens if you make the illusion of a light source? Does it cast real light?
>>
>>47989528
An illusion school wizard with mirage arcane is pretty much god within a 1 mile radius
>>
>>47989528
This is the smart way to do it
Do cartoony shit that's deadly
>>
So what's the easiest way to make a punchy Paladin, folks? Does any kind of multiclass actually facilitate someone smiting with their bare fists that isn't completely awful, or am I best just playing an Open Hand Monk or even trying to barter with the DM to replace my weapon and armour proficiencies with some kind of monk-scaling unarmed strike and Unarmoured Defense?
>>
>>47988898
concealment is covered by the phrase "obscured" in the PHB. You are either lightly or heavily obscured (if you are obscured at all). Lightly obscured does nothing but provide disadvantage on perception rolls. Heavily obscured is total darkness and the like, and provides disadvantage to attack rolls.

I wouldn't recommend using 3.5 concealment rules in 5e. If you wanted that level of granularity I would just keep playing 3.5.
>>
>>47989904
I can't really see it working very well without either some homebrew or heavily investing in monk levels and then multiclassing back to paladin.
>>
>>47990010
Although I am inclined to agree with you regarding your recommendation, I am trying to convert a 3.5 spell that grants concealment to animated objects to 5e, but wasn't sure how to handle the 20% miss chance. It would appear that disadvantage on attack rolls would be the closest effect, though very powerful.
>>
>>47990080
Just make it equal to half cover you dumb nigger.
>>
>>47990080
I think that depends on the targets AC. Someone with 22 AC would benefit a lot from attackers getting disadvantage on the roll Someone with a 10 or 11 might benefit more from 20% flat miss chance.
>>
>>47990080
You couldn't maintain concentration on both that spell and Animate Objects, anyway.
>>
>>47990018
Yeah, I didn't think so either. Just wondered if there was a way to make it work that I was missing since I'm still getting used to the 5e system. I'll ask. Our group is moving our game over from Pathfinder to 5e, and in Pathfinder there was a Paladin archetype that traded a lot of its abilities for monk skills, so with luck I should be able to convince him to do some homebrew to stay true to the character. Probably a Devotion Paladin with the changes I said above, although I'll toy with seeing how well a Paladin/Monk multiclass actually works. Thanks anyway!
>>
>>47989491
>Not using nothing but Illusion spells

Are you even trying?
>>
>>47990157
lol, +2 to AC and dex saving throws? I think ill just make the disadvantage granted circumstantial., such as in low light as opposed to heavily obscured/darkness and remove the disadvantage in bright light.

>>47990166
Exactly my thoughts. Animated objects AC varies from 18 for tiny to 10 for large objects. Granting either effect feels like a toss up depending on the object animated.
>>
>>47990326
>lol

Confirmed actual nigger, get out.
>>
>>47990326
There you have it then, disadvantage is pretty much perfect. Also, blur, which you used to be a % miss chance spell is also disadvantage. So its apparently a close enough approximation.
>>
>>47990350
fuck off
>>
>>47990372
Kill yourself.
>>
>>47990254
For early levels if you don't mind doing 1d4 per hit you can take the tavern brawler feat and just have your gm allow divine smite me be used on unarmed attacks as well as weapon attacks. It won't scale very well into the late game seeing as the damage die on tavern brawler doesn't scale but if you focus more on rper then it doesn't really matter that much anyways.
>>
>>47990371
yeah, thanks for the help.

>>47989450
bumpin for answers
>>
>>47990397
Holy shit I didn't even english even after looking it over at least 3 times to make sure I typed everything out correctly.
>>
>>47990397
adding to this, see if the DM can give you gauntlets that increase your damage. Id say that would likely be the best way to handle this.
>>
GMs how do you handle wild animals when they are given the ability to speak a language but no intelligence up. I'm thinking of a situation when I was DMing. The totem barbarian used speak with animals as a ritual and started asking a bird about some info. They were in a town being controlled and manipulated by a fiend, and I didn't want to give nothing for the player being clever, so I just had the bird say "the leader is weird" pretty much, telling them that something is up but nothing more specific than that.

To me that seems like more than enough cause, it gave them validation that there was something afoot and to investigate.
>>
>>47989450
Nothing that PCs can have. They removed almost all effects that make ability scores go up and down, except for some magic items that set ability scores to fixed values. It's a lot less bookkeeping that way.
>>
>>47990520
They have no social context, but they should be able to describe sensory details, especially if asked the right question. A bird might not be good at identifying fiends, but it could say whether the leader had big horns and bat wings. If it gives an answer as vague and meaningless as "weird," it had better have a damn good reason why it can't elaborate but still knows something is weird.
>>
>>47990520
I would do pretty much the same as you did. I think the game Divinity: Original Sin did it really well in the fact that talking to rats with a specific ability would cause them to tell you slight hints at what is happening in the general vicinity but nothing that would give away something big.
>>
>>47989760
If you cast Mirage Arcane in a Demiplane, does it create more space than the 30ft room? If so, what happens to someone outside the Demiplane when the Mirage ends?
>>
>>47990526
Thanks, just as i thought. Looks like instead of ability damage, they chose to halve check results with that ability, such as with ray of enfeeblement halving strength based damage.

Now i need to come up with an effect to replace wisdom damage, or create something new altogether. Same goes for owl's wisdom/fox's cunning/eagle's splendor style effects.

Any ideas?
>>
>>47990606
Mirage Arcane can alter the appearance of structure or create the illusions of structures where none exist, but it can't hide structures entirely, just like it can't dramatically change the contours of the terrain.

The DM might rule that spell effects can pass through the door when the door is open, and hence the illusion could radiate outward from the open door, but when the door is closed or gone then the demiplane is not connected to the Prime Material at all and no spell effects will pass through.
>>
File: PHB237.png (403 KB, 352x490) Image search: [Google]
PHB237.png
403 KB, 352x490
>>47990726
>Same goes for owl's wisdom/fox's cunning/eagle's splendor style effects.

???
>>
>>47990726
Owl's Wisdom and the like are all replaced by the spell Enhance Ability, which gives bonuses to a certain kind of ability check and maybe some other minor related benefit. Similarly, ability damage could be replaced with disadvantage on that kind of ability check, which you see on spells like Hex.
>>
>>47990777
>>47990790
oh daaaamn. Completely missed that. Thanks for pointing it out.
>>
>>47990765
Oh yeah, and since the range of Mirage Arcane is sight, then if you're casting it from inside a room created with Demiplane, the only terrain you can effect will be what you can see through the open door. So it'll basically be a cone emanating from the door.
>>
>>47990726
Disadvantage on all wisdom based saves and check would probably be a good way to replicate wisdom damage.

Turns out the spell Bestow Curse can do exactly that, so its probably the best fit. Ability damage is very rare in this edition, as are most save or dies (which ability damage fits into, since it can kill you. Even feeble mind can't do that, since it can only take you to 1 int)
>>
Where can I find quality homebrew materials? Looking for a ranger fix among other homebrew classes/races/etc.

>inb4 "no such thing as good homebrew"
>>
>>47991075
Have you read all the unearthed arcana for ranger already
>>
>>47990294
>not using nothing but
Absolutely disgusting. Go back to school.
>>
>>47991075
Literally look in the OP. That being said, most ranger fixes might be best performed on a case by case basis.
>>
>>47991147
I have not. Does it make ranger a decent class? Last I checked they were pretty useless.
>>
>>47991075
>>
Is it a bad idea to multiclass in a level 10 campaign? My group' running Curse of Strahd and I'm tempted to take a 2-level dip into something or doe a 6/4 multiclass, but I don't know if it would hinder me too much. I don't care about minmaxing or anything, but I don't want to be a dead weight on the group.
>>
>>47991201
>>47991215
The full UA ranger rework is good but only goes until level 5. Ambuscade is a great ability so this rework seems great at first glance
>>
>>47989356
Illusions are hella strong and circumventing a fight, but they typically aren't that good in a fight. Probably the best cast cheesey answer for an illusionist is casting minor illusion, making an illusory brick wall between you or your allies and people that want to attack them. You can see through your brick wall, but enemies can't see you, so they have disadvantage on attack rolls.

That being said, its probably best to pick up some other spells (I think you will run out of just illusions anyway, since wizards get so many spells). And just use the illusions to try to avoid fights in the first place.
>>
>>47991254
Underdark ranger is also pretty damn good and accomplishes what people think of when they think "ranger" as long as that thing wasn't a guy with an animal companion.
>>
Which class/archetype is best used for a sneaky, magical trickster guy? Doesn't have to be the face necessarily, but basically just really good at scouting and sneaking around,

I'm torn between Arcane Trickster Rogue, Trickey domain Cleric and Bard. Any thoughts/experiences? Or any classes that may do it better?
>>
>>47991254
>>47991215
People complain about this class having half sneak attack because "ibs the rogues thign"

applying that logic to PHB classes:
>barbarian, ranger, paladin shouldn't get extra attack, that's the fighter's thing
>paladin and ranger shouldn't get fighting styles, that's the fighter's thing
>ranger shouldn't get druid spells, that's the druid's thing
>paladin shouldn't get cleric spells, that's the cleric's thing
>nobody but the wizard should get spells, that's the wizard's thing
>>
>>47991292
Oh yeah Underdark ranger is fucking awesome.
>>
>>47991338
depends on how you want to achieve your sneakyness.

technically, a wizard with invisibility can scout and sneak better than them, though the bard is a close second.
>>
Could you use Lightning Lure to make enemies suffer the opportunity attack of Polearm Master?
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Polearm-Master.png (675 KB, 714x416) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Polearm-Master.png
675 KB, 714x416
>>47991402
Reminder that invisibility grants no static stealth bonus.

>>47991416
Yeah, PM OAs don't care about how the creature got to your reach.
>>
>>47991369
Nah, sneak attack is fine, honestly a number of the classes are just halfs of other classes. A paladin is a cleric fighter, the current ranger is a Druid fighter. Having it be a rogue fighter isn't a bad idea.
>>
>>47991436
reminder that being invisible is still REALLY DAMN GOOD.
>>
>>47991416
I would say no, since OA rules specify not provoking due to forced movement/teleportation/etc. as an exception.
>>
File: Capture.png (269 KB, 1029x729) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
269 KB, 1029x729
>>47991436
Cool, that'll probably be my next cantrip then.

Semi-related;
Why would you take Thunderclap over Sword Burst (Other than RP obviously which is all the reason you'd need to pick anything) when IIRC there's a lot more stuff resistant or immune to Thunder than Force, and the Thunderclap has the 100 foot "come fuck the party pls monsters in the next room" alarm attached to it?
>>
>>47991500
I guess the Dex vs Con saves would be a decent reason now that I look it over again, since if you're surrounded it's probably (hopefully) by a group of weaker creatures with low CON.
>>
>>47991500
You wouldn't cause they aren't balanced against each other. The only argument I could make is some things don't have a great con, but things that don't have a great con usually aren't within melee range of a caster.
>>
>>47991481
Reminder that you get no bonus to your stealth roll and you still need to roll stealth to pass a creature's passive perception to be hidden from them.
>>
>>47991486
>>47991416
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/05/07/can-you-shove-with-polearm-master-and-trigger-an-opportunity-attack/

I was right--the "forced movement" exception for OAs is intended to still apply to PM.
>>
>>47991567
They know something's there (ie in your square). They don't know you're there, they can't see you.
>>
>>47991572
Disregarding Jeremy "words have no meaning" Crawford's amendment tweet there, though, yes, as the rules are written, PM does not require an enemy to use their movement, action, or reaction to enter your reach.
>>
>>47991572
That's lame as hell, good job I'm a dm
>>
>>47991600
It doesn't matter how butthurt you are over being wrong consistently for the last five threads, Crawford is still the last word on RAI for 5e.
>>
>>47991600
I see no reason why it wouldn't work from a RP standpoint as well; lassoing a motherfucker and pulling him onto your spear is reasonable.
>>
>>47991620
>>47991416
>>47991436
Can you even take Opportunity Attacks on your own turn?
>>
File: jlo thumbs up.gif (406 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
jlo thumbs up.gif
406 KB, 245x285
>>47991617
Not butthurt, just making the statement that if anon wishes to ignore sageadvice, then his proposal is permissible.

>u were wrong!!!!
Okay, anon, you tell yourself that.
>>
>>47991620
So is lassoing someone past your friend so they can swing a sword at them, but forced movement isn't supposed to provoke opportunity attacks.

Its a bad road to go down.
>>
>>47991597
Yes, they know exactly where you are and that you are invisible and probably will react by attacking you whilst knowing exactly where you are.
>>
>>47991666
nice trips. It is a bad road to go down but it is a valid exploit of the wording of PM
>>
>>47991673
So let's say they decide to fire an arrow. What do they aim at?
They can't pinpoint your location.
>>
>>47991695
Well, as long as you ignore RAI, never read the section on opportunity attacks, and ignore the small fact that you'd need two hands to use the polearm and one to cast the spell, yeah, it's a 'neat exploit'
>>
>>47991600
>PM does not require an enemy to use their movement, action, or reaction to enter your reach.
If it ignores the forced movement exception to regular OAs, does it also ignore the Disengage exception? Why would you ignore one exception and not all the rest?
>>
>>47991715
Except they can, because you're not hiding.
>>
>>47991715
That's the thing. They CAN localize you to your 5ft space. Attacks are made with disadvantage but if you don't roll to hide or if you fail on your roll to hide, they know exactly where you are.

>>47991734
>"well yeah im wrong but that isn't going to stop me from whining to you about it!!!!"

>>47991739
Because only the special PM OA has the wording that permits the exploit.
>>
File: PM OA.jpg (308 KB, 704x677) Image search: [Google]
PM OA.jpg
308 KB, 704x677
Normal provoke: leaving a creature's reach
PM provoke: entering that creature's reach

More specific exceptions trump provoking rules when forced movement or Disengage are involved.
>>
>>47991572
Also, that tweet doesn't even refer to PM's special OA.

Into the trash.
>>
>>47991857
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/04/03/does-polearm-masterys-attack-of-opportunity-provoke-against-unwilling-targets/
>>
>>47991787
>I'm wrong

Yes you are. Ignoring my points doesn't make you right.

The section for opportunity attacks specifically says they aren't triggered by forced movement. Seeing as Polearm master is still called out as an opportunity attack, I don't see how it would be an exception.

Also, you're going to have difficulty getting two hands on your halberd mid-casting.

So aside from everything that points to you being wrong, sure.
>>
>>47991787
Yeah but you're in a 5ft cube. You aren't 5ft wide. And what if you're small? Or crawling?
>>
>>47991863
There you go.

>>47991828
PM specifies that it triggered when target enters reach, period.

>>47991891
>more whining
Dude I don't care, go to see the butt doctor if you're so butthurt.
>>
>>47991924
>PM specifies that it triggered when target enters reach, period.
And OA rules specify that you don't provoke if you don't move using your movement, action, or reaction, period.
>>
>>47991921
You're arguing with me as if I can change the rules for you. Ask your DM. RAW, everything I have said to you regarding invisibility is valid, no exceptions.
>>
>>47991924
>gets btfo
>y-y-you're butthurt

Nah. I'm pretty happy that I can read. You seem rather upset that you can't.
>>
>>47985354
> barbarian getting drunk.
> waitress walks by table
> barb yells opportunity attack and smacks that luscious ass.
> DM: you have 20 Str, right?
> of course!... why?
> blessed pelor, commoners have 4 hp.
>>
>>47991924
The designers even quoted the section on opportunity attacks when answering that question. Clearly, Polearm master is not exempt from the normal OA rules. It just offers you one additional way to trigger them.
>>
>>47991942
It's almost as if two clauses of a highly flawed ruleset are contradicting one another.

>>47991954
>gets called out for whining to me incessantly
>roleplays a fantasy wherein i stutter so that he can feel like an alpha male
Mate, you must be a

S T U D
T
U
D
>>
>>47987872
>elderly wizard
>more popular than young self-trained goof-off apprentice who hates study but will inexplicably begin to rival archmages by the end of the game because you get good at magic just by leveling up and you level up because you were near other people who killed shit and these archmages don't go anywhere or do anything
>>
>>47991974
Fuck, this poster is so based. I love your bantz, mate.
>>
>>47991991
>It's almost as if two clauses of a highly flawed ruleset are contradicting one another

Except that's not what'd happening. You're just reading it poorly and blaming the book for your stupidity.

Polearm master let's you make an opportunity attack. The rules for opportunity attacks don't work when they're getting pushed. There's no contradiction here.
>>
>>47992022
>Polearm Master inextricably calls for an opportunity attack*
fixed that for ya
>>
>>47992022
Just let it go, every thread there is someone else out to game the system because apparently they can't read
>>
Did everyone in this thread just come straight from a Trump general and forget to disengage their shitposting mode, or what?
>>
>>47984462
Can you also glue Cleric onto that?
>>
>>47992057
Good call anon. Sorry about that.
>>
>>47991953
I'm just asking questions I'm the dm and I'm wondering if I'm running it "wrong"
>>
Thinking about making a monk/fighter spear user. What would you suggest for level split? I was thinking 1 monk > 5 fighter >3 monk > fighter the rest (so monk4/fighter16)
>>
>>47988892
action surge cannot be used to cast spells.
>>
Who / what is Virt and what's with all this "gnome... BARBARIAN" shit? I've been seeing references to it a lot recently
>>
>>47992065
Paladin/Bard for having fingers stuck in every pot.
>>
>>47989380
>>47989383
>>47990294
>>47991268

I have other spells that aren't illusion- grease, fog cloud, find familiar, and misty step. I'm in a party of 4 with a champion, battlemaster, and a totem barbarian, They're the ones who are going to cave in skulls, I'm just going to make it easier for them to do it
>>
>>47991974
I don't know why people think a slap is an unarmed strike, when it is clearly a shove to knock someone prone.
>>
>>47992158
virt is a guy who triggered the autistic pseudointellectual nerds in this general by discussing how poorly crafted the D&D ruleset is

I am a guy who triggers the autistic pseudointellectual nerds in this general upset by discussing how poorly crafted the D&D ruleset is

therefore, I am virt
>>
>>47992185
Could also work as a 5 ft shove. The Barmaid would probably prefer a bit of a stumble to dropping all her drinks.
>>
>>47988830
Disadvantage, or bane, or mirror image. Pick your favorite.
>>
>>47992217
No, you're Birt. A poor imitation of Virt who jacks off to aaracockra.
>>
>>47992141
Well, you can use it to ready an action like making a second sneak attack with green flame blade which is arguably more useful for a rogue anyways.
>>
>>47992256
I love me some good ol' grade-school tier banter. Good on ya, mate.
>>
>>47992158
He's a troll who misinterprets the PHB. I'm not convinced half of his replies aren't just himself. Just ignore him.
>>
>>47992173
You owe it to your friends to pick up one AoE damage spell. Large groups of enemies are a very big threat this time around and no one else in your party is equipped to deal with them.
>>
>>47987412
This sounds fucking tight man, would love to play this.

Helps that I've been dying to play a Greirat style, non-combat dungeon delver rogue.
>>
>>47992355
Eh, if you ignore his he just spams the thread with shitty greentext screencaps. /tg/ really isn't worth visiting anymore because of this shit
>>
>>47992431

We need a nickname for this phenomena. We also need a nickname for when someone's "broken combo" turns out to be balanced because they tried to grab for all the bonuses but forgot to factor in the disadvantages.
>>
The worst part is that all he's achieving is annoying a few guys (and/or girls) in a cantonese cat's cradle forum

Dungeon World will remain unplayed unpopular garbage :^)
>>
>>47985361
"You must meet the prerequisites for both your current class and your new one"

Page 163
>>
>>47992491
Holy shit you are right, I just realized this only starts up after one poor bastard gets fanny flustered that no one is playing dungeon world with them.
>>
>>47992529
That's exactly what he said, you don't need to be over 13 int if you're a wizard and stay a wizard, but you need it if you want to be something else
>>
>>47988830
Spells that gave concealment now use disadvantage.
>>
>>47992491
>>47992554
Shit, shut the fuck up about DW you asshats...
>>
>>47992556
Which kind of makes sense, honestly. When you study to become a wizard usually it takes years, you are an apprentice to some crotchety old bastard or you have to go to some university for fuck long ever.

If all your training for being a wizard is being a barbarian that shits in the woods and gets angry at trees, and suddenly you know magic after an afternoon of killing giant goats, then yeah, you are probably smarter than some of the dumber wizards out there that took years to learn this shit.
>>
>>47992141

It absolutely can be. http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/04/17/action-surge-spell-3/
The only thing that's tricky is if you use a bonus action spell your other spells that turn are limited to cantrips with casting time of 1 action.
>>
>>47992363
Good point, I'll keep that in mind
>>
>>47992164
Which god would be the least likely to get in the way of thief things?
>>
>>47991600
Jeremy "My rulings show up in revised printings of the books" Crawford
>>
>>47992683
Well yeah, there is a difference between printing errata and saying "2 is equal to 4"

Jeremy "neither words nor numbers have meaning" Crawford
>>
>>47992730
Jeremy "You're using the rules I wrote and that I can revise as necessary to clarify interactions" Crawford
>>
>>47991369
>>barbarian, ranger, paladin shouldn't get extra attack, that's the fighter's thing
Meh. That's how you know they're a martial. It's like complaining that
>>nobody but the wizard should get spells, that's the wizard's thing
Yeah. It's like that.
>>paladin and ranger shouldn't get fighting styles, that's the fighter's thing
True. And they only get a subset of the fighting styles, in fact.
>>ranger shouldn't get druid spells, that's the druid's thing
Rangers get some druid spells, but also have several of their own unique spells.
>>paladin shouldn't get cleric spells, that's the cleric's thing
Paladins have some cleric spells, but also have plenty of their own unique spells with both auras and smites.

Rangers shouldn't get literally sneak attack (but half progression) because that's just retarded. Classes need some unique mechanics. That's where the ranger has a problem *right now*.
>>
>>47992663
Mask? Are we talking forgotten realms?
>>
>>47992792
I'm not really sure, I know we are talking about a character who literally cannot hold all of his skills.
>>
>magnifying glass+glue+driftglobe=sun blade

Are my players retarded?
>>
>>47992828
No, your players are McGyver.
>>
>>47992828
>not using patented 2x4 technology
>>
>>47992746
Aw, you mean Jeremy "I have access to a system which can rapidly disseminate errata for my two-year-old rules book which I wrote without regard for the meaning of both numbers and words but I have still not addressed all the glaring contradictions" Crawford?
>>
>>47992226
Either way, you can't shove with an OA.
>>
>>47991974
Hitting a woman as cruelly and lethally as is humanly possible is not an apt description of a playful slap.
>>
>>47992948
Try telling that to the 12ft tall 340lb gnome barbarian who just smacked your late gf's ass.
>>
>>47992948
Dude, it only happened one time, and I was probably drunk.

>Hank Pym.
>>
Got myself the starter set, players handbook,dungeon masters guide and monster manual. What should I buy next? CanĀ“t really decide.

And are the Unearthed Arcana avaible in book format or only as pdf?
>>
>>47992124
Go Monk 7 (death monk for fear and tankyness)/Fighter 11 (battlemaster to go full kung fu)/Rogue 2(expertise and free dash).
For low level keep it to one monk level at the start and go fighter.
>>
>>47992968
Jesus Christ, how horrifying. That being said, slapping a ten year old playfully on the ass does not hurt her, so a mutant barbarian should probably do so without hurting a wench unless he wishes.
>>
>>47993037
>That being said, slapping a ten year old playfully on the ass does not hurt her
Prove it
>>
>>47993037
Can I spank a 10yr old Aarkocra girl or would that be a felony?
>>
>>47993051
They always say "It hurts more for me" but it doesn't hurt me when I slap her, so it can't hurt her.

Checkmate atheists.
>>
>>47993074
Considering they're adults at 3 and live til 30? I think you're good.
>>
>>47991241
That prettty much depends on what's your goal and classes.
>>
>>47992987
Pdfs only.
Get the sword coast adventurers guide
>>
>>47991500
Because some games may not allow SCAG or limit your options in other ways, i.e. Adventurer's League permits each characters to use options from only one book (either EE or SCAG) and you want to take other EE spells or races.
>>
File: initiative skill.png (15 KB, 1315x140) Image search: [Google]
initiative skill.png
15 KB, 1315x140
Well?
>>
>>47993274
Sort of answers it's own question. It'd be too good and everyone would take it, monsters wouldn't keep up
>>
>>47993274
Because initiative isn't a skill.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 31

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.