[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /tg/. New DM getting the opportunity to DM DnD 4e. any advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_m1iycfzd2w1qap3ouo1_400.jpg (72 KB, 367x306) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1iycfzd2w1qap3ouo1_400.jpg
72 KB, 367x306
Hey, /tg/. New DM getting the opportunity to DM DnD 4e. any advice would be great.
>>
please
>>
>>47972749

Get out while you still can.
>>
>>47972928
i've only really heard one thing about 4e. that it plays like a hack n' slash vidya. could you explain whats wrong with 4e?
>>
File: 1463549341705.jpg (217 KB, 800x1280) Image search: [Google]
1463549341705.jpg
217 KB, 800x1280
D&D 4e General

If you are GMing, remember...
1. To strongly consider giving out at least one free "tax feat," like Expertise and pre-errata Melee Training.
2. To use Monster Manual 3/Monster Vault/Monster Vault: Nentir Vale/Dark Sun Creature Catalog math. Avoid or manually update anything with Monster Manual 1 or 2 math.
3. That skill challenges have always been scene-framing devices for the GM, that players should never be overtly told that they are in a skill challenge, and that the Rules Compendium has the most up-to-date skill DCs and skill challenge rules.

If you would like assistance with character optimization, remember to tell us what the what the rest of the players are playing, what books are allowed, your starting level, the highest level you expect to reach, what free feats you receive, if anything is banned, whether or not themes are allowed, your starting equipment, and how much you dislike item-dependent builds.
If you wish to talk about settings, 4e's settings are Points of Light (the planes and the natural world's past empires are heavily detailed in various sourcebooks and magazines), 4e Forgotten Realms, 4e Eberron, 4e Dark Sun, and whatever setting you would like to bring into 4e.

Nentir Vale locations: http://web.archive.org/web/20130520012550/http://community.wizards.com/nentir_vale/wiki/Nentir_Vale_Locations
Points of Light timeline (ignore everything else on this mostly-fanon wiki): http://nentirvale.wikidot.com/world
D&D 4e Compendium (for those who still have Insider subscriptions): http://www.wizards.com/dndinsider/compendium/database.aspx
PDFs for 4e books: Search thepiratebay for "Dungeonsand_Dragons_4th_Edition_books_update__1[Nov_2012]"
>>
>>47972749

Play something better than even most acceptable DND edition.
>>
>>47972967
It's more like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics. I enjoy it but it's not what people think of when they hear "DnD".

Warlord best class
>>
op here. left something out, the people im DM'ing for have never played any tabletops before.
>>
>>47973414
Prepare for one guy to play some awful cookie cutter build and rape your plot

Also be aware of what to do in the following situations
PC on NPC Theft
PC on PC Theft
PC on NPC Murder
PC on PC Murder
PC on anything Rape
>>
File: 7ib9MXa.gif (5 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
7ib9MXa.gif
5 MB, 600x338
>>47973414
4e might be a bit rough for total newbies, 5e goes down quicker and is more...quintessential D&D.
In any case, >>47972971 has shit right. Listen to that anon.

>Stances.gif
>>
>>47972749
Don't ask /tg/ for advice on 4e.
>>
>>47973333
Oh look, it's eternally triggered bitch-anon.
>>
>>47977091
That is never going to catch on, so please stop.
>>
>>47977157
Not until you stop being triggered by D&D. So, forever, I assume.
>>
>>47977193
I'm not even that guy, dumbass. I like 4e and 2e. I am impartial to the rest.

You just sound like a twat.
>>
>>47977243
And you sound like you're eternally triggered and a bitch. That qualifies you as eternally triggered and a bitch, anon.
>>
>>47972749
just play 5th
>>
>>47977157
It's either one guy spamming relentlessly or it actually HAS caught on, either way not giving him/them attention is the best option.
>>
>>47977304
i'm also not either of those guys. You are in fact a faggot.
>>
>>47972749
READ
THE
BOOK
>>
>>47972749
Remember this for when you follow DC-setting guidelines.

A rickety wooden door at Lv1 is an easy Lv1 challenge with the appropriate DC.

A rickety wooden door at Lv10 is STILL an easy Lv1 challenge with the appropriate DC.
>>
>>47972971
Great advice. Monster Manual 1+2 style monsters, basically reduce health by half and double damage.
>>47973516
I've found 4e great for introducing new players to, especially with how similar to games that they have experience with,

I'd also recommend getting a hold of the hacked character builder, makes shit so much easier.
>>
>>47977696
>I'd also recommend getting a hold of the hacked character builder, makes shit so much easier.
This, so much.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.