[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71
File: EN_Monster_Mindflayer_Header.jpg (584 KB, 1920x600) Image search: [Google]
EN_Monster_Mindflayer_Header.jpg
584 KB, 1920x600
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

FAVORITE MONSTERS EDITION

GMs, what are you favorite monsters to set upon your unwary PCs?

PCs, what monsters do you love to hate the most?
>>
I am running the Lost Mine of Phandelver to a new group and it seems like they are on their way becoming members of Zhentarim. Any ideas on how to give them a mission to carry on after the starter set?
>>
So, it's been like 2-3 months since I visited this general, if you want to know I was fed up with 5e due bad GM and retard players, GM literally came up with the rules on the fly, following zero consistence and changing every 5 minutes that made the game go from unbearable to ilogical and backwards as fuck, he also used the phrase "I'm GOD! my word is the law", and the rest of players suffered stockholm and beaten wife syndrome and always repeated "he'll change, is not that bad, is just till he grasp the rules", so I left. Couldn't find another decent game after that so I desisted, btw one of the players of the first group called me yesterday to tell me they finished the first campaing (LMoP) after 20 or so sessions and that the game was horrible, serves them right. Anyway, anything new worth mentioning in 5e?
>>
>>47971954
When I DM I love the reaction when I send out any monsters that can horrify the PCs (a lot of this is in set up, in description, and making sure you have the right mood). Usually this is undead, abberrations, or something very large.

As a PC? The monsters I love to hate are the ones I can feel good about killing. I don't want any of that moral ambiguity shit, wondering how someone kids and widow are going to feel afterwards. Give me powerful demons and arrogant vampire lords that make me want to hate them and not feel bad for doing so.
>>
>>47971954
I've found a new soft spot for using Scarecrows as monsters. They make a great first level boss for a more mysterious or horror based setting. They have resistance to mundane damage, can hide in plain sight, but also have a weakness to something rather munadne and easy to get.
>>
File: 1389304141405.jpg (160 KB, 700x980) Image search: [Google]
1389304141405.jpg
160 KB, 700x980
>>47972065
The Zhentarim requires partial control of the spellforge and wants to restore a specific item to working condition there. The problem is that the magic item is both broken and doesn't belong to them. It's sealed in the crypt of a rich family. First 5e dungeon I can think of would be the one from the 2nd chapter of Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (that's D&D Next but still the easiest thing to convert). Really the whole Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle plotline could work if you sorta reversed the roles the PCs play.

The Zhentarim also wants to ally with the Black Spider, something that should be very difficult, and possibly require the players to capture/deliver him to Neverwinter.
>>
>>47972067
>anything new worth mentioning in 5e?

Outside of the usual Unearthed Arcana every month, a new supplement was announced called Volo's Guide to Monsters. Lots of new monsters and race options like goblin and firbolg.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/volos-guide-to-monsters
>>
Completed the shadowcaster spell list and added a few mysteries. Can I get some feedback on the power level of the class? Think its usable? Also need some help converting some of the spells from 3.5 to 5e, particularly shadow evocation and shadow evocation greater.

Unrelated question, how strong are maneuvers in 5e? Is it worth creating a bard or fighter specifically to do disarms and trips or no?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ORCC8IwwqgTv6kSy-wnGgfkegEYejOke9OwGnsN16c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>47972170
I just had the same realization! I GM'd for a group of completely new players the other day and really wanted to get around the classic goblin first session. The scarecrow was a really unexpected enemy for them and I got to build a town with a little more flair than normal.

I did nerf his base HP though since my group was mostly melee PCs. I considered taking some of the resistance away but I thought it would be a good way to introduce the idea of being resistant to damage types.

Already working on more for them since they all want to play again.
>>
>>47971954
Rakshasas. I love the deception they're capable of and how they can shrug off a lot of the things that could reveal their deception.
>>
File: dndheights.png (139 KB, 1092x707) Image search: [Google]
dndheights.png
139 KB, 1092x707
someone make a cleaner version of this
>>
>>47972307
Google "dumb garbage," you'll find a cleaner version of that alongside a picture of yourself.
>>
File: 1466959539647 copy.png (489 KB, 7280x4713) Image search: [Google]
1466959539647 copy.png
489 KB, 7280x4713
>>47972307
bravo zulu
>>
>>47971539
Commoner with worse ability scores
>>
>>47972375
???
way to be hostile, also, not what i found
>>
File: 1450320843599.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1450320843599.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
Considering a first level (or rather second level) mission for players in Sharn. How about going into the upper reaches of the catacombs in search of a missing friend, a member of the college there and Xen'Drik researcher, who was seen headed there? Encounters I've thought of so far include all-bark goblin street gangs, alligator in the sewers, perhaps a couple giant spiders, culminating in some young giant wasps (more or less cazadores) and the discovery of a hollowed giant spider corpse with the wasps' hatched eggsac on it. Briefly after that they find their friend, still mostly paralyzed with a sac about to hatch on his back, and have to fight the mom. In the end it turns out the mom was a baby that he brought back from an expedition to Xen'Drik, in hopes of studying it and having help curb the local spider population.
Any ideas on how to polish it, or more encounters in the relatively lawless undercity/catacombs?
>>
>>47972213
Mysteries seem fine, so I'm just going to go down the spell list, and point out ones that seem off.

>Bend Perspective

Seems simialr to Arcane Eye, which makes it really underleveled, although if it's limited to a max 30 foot range that's a bit better. Might need to have a restriction that there needs to be a shadow present.

>Dusk and Dawn

If this is supposed to be a 1st level spell, I think it's too strong. I'd suggest cutting down the range and duration if you want to keep it there.

>Life fades

Seems okay. Might even be a bit weak on the damage. 3d6 would be more fair, since Exhaustion requires another check, and even then won't affect most monsters very much.

>Quicker than the Eye

Seems rather pointless. I would suggest making this a mystery, and combining it with making Umbral Hand's carry load 30 pounds, and make it 5 by default.

>Steel Shadows
>Voice of Shadow

You may want to consider adding some slight downsides to these 'normal spell+' things.

>Black Fire

I think the damage here is too high. Already you can use it as a improvised version of Aganazzar's scorcher, and if there's a narrow hallway you've basically spelled death for anyone trying to run through. Consider lowering it to 2d8.

>Shadowskin

Seems okay. Might even be a bit weak for level 2.

>Flicker

Might need some more specific language about when they can teleport, but otherwise fine.

>Sharp Shadows

Damage might be a bit high if it works on a hit or miss.

>Umbral Touch.

I'd lower the damage a bit. Inflicting slow seems strong, but isn't when you compare it to the normal slow spell and remember this needs to hit as well.

Most of the higher level spells seem fine at a glance, since I think from there you started combining lower-level spells.

Overall an alright list, but I think you need to just tweak some of the lower level effects.
>>
>>47971539

The child would definitely die very quickly if exposed to any danger. If you want to have your child accompany your character, my advice would be to keep them in the town inn any time your about to dive into a dungeon or other dangerous scenario, then look into the retainer background feature and instead of several servants, you could have your characters family. Idk what background you would choose for this, but I'd make it folk hero.

Also, I'd honestly say almost any class could work for a character concept like this. Everything except wizard and warlock at least.
>>
>>47972536
>bend perspective
Ill add the shadow requirement. good idea.

>dusk and dawn
10ft radius seem fine? 1 min duration? i dont think duration is all that much of a problem; if its used in combat it only need to be up for about that long either way. thematically it fits with the class but i can understand your perspective.

>life fades
yeah, i thought the damage was a bit on the low end as well but wanted to err on the safe side. What if it increased exhaustion by 2 or 3 levels instead? I intended to make that effect the main part of the spell, the damage is just a consolation prize.

>quicker than the eye
pointless how? advantage on sleight of hand can be great, and being able to use it with umbral hand is straight stealing the feature from arcane trickster.

>steel shadows
>voice of shadow
these spells are purposely stronger than wizard versions. the class cant upscale spell slots for stronger effects. this is balanced by having slightly more powerful spells out of the box.

>black fire
were in agreement here, though it would probably be VERY weak at higher levels. In 3.5 the spell scaled to 1d8/lvl, with no level cap on damage, but i thought that would be far too strong for 5e. still, 2d8 feels weak. ill have to test it out.

>shadowskin
how should i buff it to make it more in line with lvl 2 spells? i figured having it available as a reaction to getting hit would make up for its weakness.

>flicker
they can teleport as a reaction. Ill clarify the wording a bit.

>sharp shadows
should it only deal damage on a hit? or just lower damage to 2d6 instead?

>umbral touch
lower damage to what? original spell also had it at 5d6, and being unable to cast spells with it active feels pretty harsh.

the higher level spells combine different spells to make up for the lack of versatility the class has.

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated.
>>
How long do you DMs prep for a session?
>>
File: Cards.jpg (520 KB, 883x662) Image search: [Google]
Cards.jpg
520 KB, 883x662
>>47973147
Seems to take me about half as long as the session is going to be, on average, for any given session. Longer first prep if I have a long adventure to read.
>>
>>47973147
Generally about two hours a session, but I'm never not thinking about the game. Technically 168 per session, but more realistically the prep I do is just physically getting everything ready to go.
>>
>>47973063
>life fades

2 levels would improve it. 3 levels would be too much I feel. Maybe boost it to 2 and bump up the damage dice a bit as well.

>quicker than the eye

I guess it just feels odd to have a spell with the main function of boosting a cantrip. It feels very narrow in its usage.

>these spells are purposely stronger than wizard version

I had a feeling this was the case, which makes some of these complaints less meaningful. I would still be careful though, since even without scaling or having as many spell slots, these effects could still prove a lot stronger at low levels where there's less difference.

>black fire

You can easily conjure the wall on top of someone and box them in for 6d8 damage with your current version. That's already quite strong for a level 2 slot, and it leaves behind a rather large area to ward enemy movement. I think it's fine, but it depends on your goal for the spell.

>shadowskin

Maybe have it grant a few temporary hitpoints as well? It's hard to gauge, but it's basically a Reaction Blade Ward.

>flicker

Yeah, but as a reaction to what? To getting targetted by an attack? To getting hit? If someone shoots an arrow, can they blink away, or do they have time to adjust their aim?

>sharp shadows

I think lowering the damage might be safer.

>Umbral touch

Probably just 4d6. You're getting essentially a Fire Blade at one spell slot higher, but with the extra slow effect.
>>
>>47973147
Roughly 2 hours, maybe more if I decide to edit the enemies for whichever reason or try to homebrew up an interesting enemy.
>>
Hey, folks? If I were to refluff the Totem Barbarian as "your inner demons well up within you and transform you into a hideous monster for the duration of your Rage", ala The Suffering, would that be viable for an action-horror game, or does that just wreck the whole basis of the class by messing with the fluff?
>>
>>47971539
Arabelle in Curse of Strahd is a seven year old girl, she has the stats of a commoner except only 2 hp and no attacks.

I'm not sure if she gets Vistani powers or not.

Also for some reason she's the Tempter, according to the Tarokka cards
>>
File: 1368074715297.jpg (46 KB, 700x516) Image search: [Google]
1368074715297.jpg
46 KB, 700x516
Are there any flowcharts for character creation or something? I'm coming from 4e and I've been spoiled by the character builder; every time I get started on my sorcerer for 5e I always get lost/distracted trying to figure out which parts I actually need to work on next.
>>
>>47973564
Are you just changing thematically why they get their enhancements or are you going to add more to it?
>>
File: Another Dick Ass Thief.jpg (44 KB, 429x724) Image search: [Google]
Another Dick Ass Thief.jpg
44 KB, 429x724
>>47973730
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules
Look at the Step-by-Step Characters section.

Spoilers: Choose ability scores, fill out race, fill out 1st level of class, fill out background. Calculate hit points and AC, saves, skills, and attacks. It's way simpler than other editions.
>>
File: 1462337868131.jpg (320 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
1462337868131.jpg
320 KB, 500x572
>>47973730
Base Scores->Race->Class->Background
Done.
>>
>>47973147
Depends on session and what do you mean by preparation. Ideas for the game? Hard to say, I can take inspiration from any movie/book/video game/web stories I find, and sometimes thing about the game in advance.

Actual preparation? I'd say about half hour on average, mostly things like searching for (or drawing) the map and looking up monster stat block. If I don't have an idea for something very complex, I just improvise.
>>
>>47973730
I know what you mean, that character builder was so good. They said they were gonna do one for 5e but they ended up firing the company that they hired to make it.

How I do character building is
1. Choose Race/Subrace/Class
2. Choose Background. Fill in Background benefits on character sheet
3. Determine Ability Scores.
4. Fill in Racial Info on character sheet
5. Choose and Fill in Class info on character sheet.
6. Crunch the numbers.
7. Done
>>
>>47973888
Just changing the thematics. I did contemplate if such an idea might work better as a new sub-class, but I figured that it worked mechanically fine as a flavor reskin of the Totem Warrior.
>>
>>47973730
1. Get stats
2. Pick race and subrace
3. Place ability scores and add in racial bonuses
4. Generate ability score modifiers
5. Choose a background
6. Mark down the skills you have proficiency in thanks to your background then choose more skills from the list your class provides
7. Mark down the value for all of your ability saves and skill checks
8. Go through your class and background and gather all of the equipment they give you
9. Fill out what benefits your character has from their race/background/class (darkvison, rage, etc)
10. Fill out everything else
>>
Best combat spells/weapon for a Divination Wizard?
>>
File: 1357954344401.jpg (128 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
1357954344401.jpg
128 KB, 1000x750
>>47973894
>>47973920
>>47973978
Thanks /tg/, this helps.
>>
>>47973985
I think it'd be fine then if all you're doing is changing fluff
>>
Rules for shooting into melee?
>>
>>47974047
No rules, it's totally fine unless you're adjacent, in which case it's imposed disadvantage.
>>
>>47972067
Try DMing.
>>
>>47974024
I think using True Strike with ranged weapons would be fitting, although it's not the most effective method.
>>
>>47974047
>>47974079
This, and don't forget your target will get cover from anyone standing between the two of you. There aren't any rules for hitting the cover though.
>>
File: Barbarian Sexy Redhead.jpg (163 KB, 1314x1600) Image search: [Google]
Barbarian Sexy Redhead.jpg
163 KB, 1314x1600
>>47973564
More important than anything else: Does your player want to?
>>
>>47972835
Not wanting to teach your child irresponsible uses of magic in the field.
>>
>>47974133
Who gives a shit about what a player wants?
>>
File: Archer Druid.jpg (165 KB, 876x662) Image search: [Google]
Archer Druid.jpg
165 KB, 876x662
>>47974132
There are in the DMG. If attack roll would hit cover and not target, it hits cover. Simple stuff.
>>
>>47974162
Any good DM
>>
Hey, anons. I'm trying to work out the balance and other various kinks on a bunch of conversions/homebrews, mostly older edition races and some new Wizard subclass options. Anyone got any feedback on the stuff I've done so far?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

Also, I take requests for attempts at race statting. I still have a 5e Trox conversion attempt one anon asked for but never stuck around to get.
>>
File: Horse, Armored.png (424 KB, 647x801) Image search: [Google]
Horse, Armored.png
424 KB, 647x801
>>47974162
:^ )
>>
>>47973564
Sounds like a great fit to me. Might even alter the Rituals the Totem Barbarian gets to be things more suitably demonic, like Find Familiar or the like.

Bear Totem for thick demonic hide, Eagle for big gargoyle wings, seems good to me.
>>
>Giant Hyenas are CR 1
My party thinks I hate them.
>>
>>47974244
How many Hyenas did you throw at them and what level are they?
>>
I'm bored as hell since my group moved to fridays and I forgot until now, recommend me a movie pls /5eg/
>>
Did someone translate Dark Souls2's Demon of Song to 5e? I cant find anything and it could make for a pretty decent fight i think. Especially if you play a bit more with the songs.
>>
>>47974260
1. Level 1.
I even let them sneak up on it.
>>
>>47974285
Kingsman The Secret Service. Has the best fight scene ever
>>
File: Gnoll.png (35 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.png
35 KB, 140x140
>>47974244
Bring in gnolls as major enemies. It's perfect.
>>
>>47974198
You may want to be careful with some of those AC boosters on the Wizard subclasses, like the ones for Earth or Air. Usually AC boosts in 5e are more conditional, like requiring you wear armor or be unarmored.

I think it might be good to at least make Air require them be unarmored.

The 10th level Metal feature also seems a bit crazy. +9 AC might as well say you're immune to attacks for a fight, although for a 9th level slot I suppose that's fitting.
>>
>>47974299
Wow they must have rolled like shit then
>>
>>47974285
Time Bandits
>>
>>47974330
>party of three
>monk tries to melee
>gets oneshotted
>hyena runs over to cleric after reducing monk to 0, gets free attack...
>>
File: Bridge Town.jpg (801 KB, 1408x800) Image search: [Google]
Bridge Town.jpg
801 KB, 1408x800
>>47974368
Labyrinth or Time Bandits or Fellowship
>>
>>47974244
>>47974299
What's the party size? I could sorta understand it being tough in a straight fight but if they Got a surprise round on it they should of managed easily enough. It's ac is quite low.
>>
>>47974322
what do you think was using the giant hyenas as mounts

Is 'major enemies' a technical system term though? If that's some mechanical whatsit, I dont' know it.
>>
>>47974392
>Party of three

Okay, there's the biggest problem. CR 1 is designed as a fight for a party of 4 level 1 characters. You may need to tone things down a bit if you have less players.

Giant Hyenas have a lot of health and do consistent damage. They're not the sort of thing a small group of characters could just try and grind down.
>>
>>47974416
It has 45 HP. Even a party of four would have trouble bursting that down.

>>47974438
I didn't know it was that significant; I just assumed it would be classic level-1 rocket tag, not... even worse..
>>
>>47972171
Next is not 5e???
>>
>>47974460
The ideal situation for a level 1 party would be that everyone gets a hit in on the hyena, and manages to do maybe 20 damage total.

Then the Hyena takes someone out, and maybe weakens another.

Then they deal another chunk of damage, maybe lose someone else, then the remaining people take it out and stabalize whoever got knocked out.

It's not a very well designed monster.
>>
File: Gnoll.png (12 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
Gnoll.png
12 KB, 140x140
>>47974424
I'm using the words "major" and "enemies" as words that mean their meanings. Here I'll even throw in a second Gnoll token for free.

Gnolls are fun, make sure to describe them cackling.
>>
>>47974501
Next is the early playtesting version of 5e. There are somewhat significant changes.
>>
>>47974501
Put simply there are some modifications and changes
>>
File: Merrow.png (2 MB, 950x2000) Image search: [Google]
Merrow.png
2 MB, 950x2000
>>47974501
Are you having a fucking stroke?
>>
>>47974168
The way we've been playing it is the enemy gets cover, and if that makes the difference between a hit and a miss, it hits the ally, provided the roll is high enough to beat the ally's AC.
>>
>>47974324
Ooh, thank you for the feedback. Yes, I was a little worried about some of the AC boosting, but I was kind of stuck for ideas.

Yeah, Metal can get a little crazy, but you don't get 9th level spells until level 17, and at that point, A: you're spending your most powerful spell-slot of the day on an AC boost, and B: at that level, you're facing off against some of the toughest creatures, aren't you?

I really appreciate the feedback, and I'm open to discussing alternatives for those features.

I'm torn on your Air suggestion; it does only apply to Ranged Attacks from enemies, so does it really need to specify that it doesn't work in armor?
>>
>>47974521
So since my flgs lists only next books, they are not worthy?
>>
>>47974511
Thank you, beneficent one. Maybe I'll even try to git gud and learn how to use r20 tokens competently.
>>
>>47974603
There are no Next books. If they are labeling their 5e books as Next they're wrong but it isn't a big deal
>>
>>47973564
I know 4e had an explicit "Mess with the fluff as you like." rule, but I don't know if 5th does. Then again I also don't know if 5th has an explicit "Don't mess with the fluff." rule either.
>>
>>47974597
Well, the Air suggestion is mostly for thematics. I think it'd be odd to have a Wizard in full-plate using wind powers. Granted, that's more of a fluff thing than a balance issue, but with Earth this could easily result in Wizards walking around with 22 AC from a single level in Fighter for Full Plate, a Shield, and +2 from the Defense fighting Style and the Earth bonus.
>>
>>47974653
5e is fine with fluff changes as long as the DM is cool with it, as always
>>
>>47974638
>they're wrong but it isn't a big deal
It occurs to me that I've literally never read this phrase on /tg/ before.
>>
>>47973920
Your an idiot if you believe if char creation is just this.

Draw a masterpiece;
Step 1: draw a masterpiece
>>
>>47974603
>a game store run by virt
That fills me with existential dread.
>>
>>47974638
http://www.fantasiapelit.com/index.php?main=ai&kat=single&mista=indeksi&etsittava=_155411
So does this seem to be in order?
>>
>>47974690
Don't fucking give me a heart attack like that
>>
>>47974706
That's the 5e book yeah. You'll find however that the Next label is nowhere on the product, they dropped it after early playtesting
>>
>>47974680
"masterpiece" is an objective term, character generation is a checklist to complete
>>
I've replaced the DMG and MM in the Mega with versions that have the errata added as comments, as the PHB version has been for a while. They're otherwise the same scans and same quality as before. Thanks to a kind soul on Kickass who uploaded them with the errata comments.
>>
>>47974837
Nice! I've been meaning to redownload the mega for a while now anyways
>>
>>47972375
My google-fu must be weak, cause I got nothing.
>>
File: 1461442794965.gif (5 MB, 448x252) Image search: [Google]
1461442794965.gif
5 MB, 448x252
>>47974680
He didn't ask for a masterpiece, he asked for a list to use in place of 4e's character builder. 5e has simple chargen. Good for you if you take an extra 12 hours thinking of backstory, inspiration, and how their history affects their current self and outlook because I do that too but that guy just asked about compiling mechanics into a character, which is easy in 5e. There's no digging through a pile of feats or 5 splats for classes. It's base scores, throw on racial bonuses, throw on class proficiencies and features, throw on background proficiencies and features.
>>
What spells can be fluffed as being electricity related? Like making hold person a literal paralyzing shock.

What bard spells can be fluffed into what kinds of songs?

How can I refluff a ranger's spells as mundane tricks of the trade?

If I wanted a Knowlege Cleric to be an Artificer what kinds of gadgets and trinkets might replicate their spells?
>>
Hey, anons? Anyone else here remember the Unearthed Arcana WoTC did that updated some old Bard and Fighter kits to new sub-classes for 5e?

The reason I ask is because I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the Necromancer, and I was wondering if anyone thought that any of the kits from The Complete Necromancer's Handbook might be convertible to 5e?

For a shorthand reference, they consisted of these:
* Archetypical Necromancer: Necromancer with various "Dark Gifts" balanced by "Curses".
* Anatomist: Surgical necromancer specialized in medical healing and autopsying. There was a Ravenloftian fan-version which also got Flesh Golem-building skills.
* Deathslayer: Warrior-necromancer specialized in fighting the undead.
* Philosopher: Necromantic sage specialized in lore relating to necromancy and the netherworld, with limited spell-casting ability.
* Undead Master: "Lordly" necromancer focused on controlling the dead and the living alike, with access to Enchantment spells and the ability to Command undead and fiends like an evil Cleric.
>>
How difficult is it to play a Wizard while only using spells of a single school? I'm wondering how feasible it would be to play a dedicated Diviner or Illusionist.
>>
>>47975466
Illusionist: maybe.

Diviner: definitely not.
>>
Are there any adventures set primarily in the Feywild (or any other edition equivalents) for me to convert to 5e?
I'd like to run something where the party end up there and have to escape
>>
>>47975540
I swear to fucking god if you're my DM I'm going to come at you with a fucking fire poker.

If you're not, then no I don't think so.
>>
File: Divine Domain Tech.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Divine Domain Tech.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47975049
You could probably fluff a bunch of spells that have to do with speed, or stretch the definition to include things that could be fluffed as Electromagnetism.

Mage Hand, for example, could involve sparking up some thin wire into the vague shape of a claw to grab stuff for you.

Ranger spells can be rather easy to re-fluff if you just pick more mundane options. Jump, Longstrider, and Hunter's Mark are all good examples. As long as you avoid overtly magical effects, it's easy to twist. Alternatively, they do have a mundane ranger option in one of the UA articles.

Artificer Cleric refluff might be tricky. Using a crossbow would fit, but you'd pretty much be dealing with lasers, magical energy shields, and healing stims.

I do have this Technology Domain homebrew that someone posted. I can't speak for balance on it, though it should fit very well for a Cleric Artificer.
>>
>>47975568
I'm definitely not your DM but care to share why you feel this way?
>>
>>47975518
Yeah, I had a feeling that would be the case. Illusionist seemed feasible thanks to having a lot of ways to mess with enemies and defend, if not being great at damage, but Divination seems to be almost entirely utility.
>>
>>47975594
He has a boner for sending the party to other planes at low levels (like level 5) and having us "escape" the only way possible: one way tickets by rail. First time we let him DM, it was the Concordant Planes of the Outlands, party level 4. We were going to meet the Lady of Pain before the group fell apart and the campaign died Then it was Shadowfell, level 6. Then the Feywilds, level 5. We've beat him with sticks long enough to get it through his head that we don't appreciate watching extraplanar demigods beat the shit out of each other while we cower in fear, but sometimes he relapses and starts talking about how cool the Feywild is.

He's a great guy and a fun DM. It's just that he has a magical realm of literal magical realms.
>>
>>47975710
That's a shame. I actually think low-level adventures in an alternate dimension could be a lot of fun, but the key would be to find the weak stuff from there, rather than just tossing the party into the lair of all the god-tier beings living there.
>>
>>47975710
Oh dear.
I just wanted some enchanted forest fun and an excuse to use stuff like faerie dragons that I wouldn't use otherwise
>>
>>47975758
In 4e, the feywild and shadowfell were appropriate for characters of about levels 4-10. Hell, the first flagship adventure has you fighting shadowfell creatures at level 1, and you go there at level 5
>>
>>47975758
This is more what I was planning.
Faerie dragons, satyrs, dryads, blink dogs, maybe eladrin and stuff like that.
>>
>>47975758
My group has wandered into the Feywild many times. Emphasis on wandered, because usually we get there by simply passing through an odd grove of trees in a particularly old forest, only to wander back out later.
>>
>>47971954
Question for the Thread: Anyone Want to Suck My Fucking Dick?

I critted on the dracula guy from Ravenloft and blew his fucking ass away and the only girl at the table, who was the DM's sister and totes out of our league, ended up blowing me after the game. She said "Ive never seen anyone handle a bow like that before anon" and she sucked my cock while locking eyes with me. I shot my load in her mouth and she smiled and raised up and said "Can you help me with my warlock" and I smashed birthday cake in her fucking face and hit the road and got drunk with some niggas I know. I love this fucking game and I love this fucking thread. Shout outs to a real nigga.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (2 MB, 2268x2500) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
2 MB, 2268x2500
did anyone remove darkvision from all player races in your game? kind of want to do this.
did you give darkvision races something as compensation? i don't even really feel like they need it.
>>
File: _.png (124 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
_.png
124 KB, 512x256
>>47975967
>>
>>47975422
>In general, the material presented in this tome is for the Dungeon Master's eyes only. The necromancer put forward herein is a maverick - he or she operates by a set of nasty rules that are completely beyond the realm of most "normal" player characters. These rules must be kept strictly hidden from the players, even if they are adamant about portraying a necromancer

The first step is to assume the MO and rules specific to those 2e implementations will need changing in ways that you might find sour the whole thing.

Secondly: I would suggest considering modeling some of them as prestige classes as per the Unearthed Arcana article covering it.

Third: the 'Archetypical Necromancer' gifts/curses could fairly easily be something the player(s) get into in the game itself, almost as a subsystem rather than a new class/archetype.
>>
>>47976035
I've got to ask, what is this meme called? I keep trying to find one particular version of it and I'm just not sure what to search for.
>>
>>47976105
its wew lad
>>
>>47975969
>not at least giving them something
enjoy your variant human only games
>>
>>47976105
i don't know, and i tried to search for it but i couldn't find a picture of it, so i made that one (not that that was hard).
feel free to use it.
>>
sup, guys. any experience with roll20? what's the quality of games like? any tips on how to find a decent one?

balance of 5e? casters imba like in 3.pf?

any recommendations on dungeons to run for some noobs?
>>
>>47976105
Pretty sure it's called Boku no Pico
>>
>>47976125
i was also going to give everyone a feat at level 1, and therefore ban v humans.
actually a bunch of other experimental house rules, but i'm just trying to focus on darkvision and how strong it is and do races that need it really need anything? dwarves, elves, etc., all seem powerful as is.
>>
>>47976134
Balance is nowhere near as bad as 3.5. There's still some disparity between classes, but it's no longer a strict caster/martial divide.
>>
>>47976134
caster imbalance is still present in some forms but nowhere near 3.pf levels
>>
Can you share some advices from old seasoned adventurers to the newbies ?
>>
>>47976081
Yeah, I figured the Archetypical Necro was the least likely candidate; I was just wondering if any of them could work or if they're all covered - like, maybe your Undead Master is already covered by just taking a decent array of Enchantment spells in your spell-slot and enjoying the Command Undead class feature that all Necromancers get now?
>>
>>47976165
Terrible DM alert
>>
>>47976165
I don't really like the idea of it but it's your game so do whatever you want
>>
>>47976165
Have you ever thought of turning away from the drawing board, facing your players, and actually running a game?
>>
>>47976196
but why tho
>>47976214
i feel it. i just feel like if you want to start a game at level 1 theres a lot of feats that would be nice to round out characters...
>>47976216
yeah thats what i'm doing right now but theres some things i would like to change.
>>
>>47976134
I like roll20, but I've never used it to find a game before. Just the virtual tabletop stuff.

>balance of 5e?
Some people say monk is weak, some people say ranger is weak
The Beastmaster ranger and Four Elements monk *are* weak, but aren't beyond saving.
With the other options it's more that they're a bit more dependent on the design of the adventure and how clever the player might be with the class' unique options.

Caster/Martial balance is pretty fair. Some attest to it being caster edition still, but that's not my experience.
>>
>>47976165
Just replace darkvision with low-light vision.
>>
>>47976232
A) Feats are stupid powerful in 5e, giving everyone one at level 1 is a dumbass move
B) If you can't account for darkvision when DMing then you kinda suck
C) Deciding "well, I can take this very useful feature away, but I don't need to replace it because they're good enough anyways) is fucking stupid.
D) You're seriously worried about how powerful darkvision is (it isn't all that amazing in 5e) but you're going to give everyone a free feat? You tried to solve a problem that doesn't exist and ended up making a worse problem that does.

Terrible DM
>>
>>47976374
Darkvision IS low-light vision in 5e. Darkvision doesn't give you "see perfectly in the dark" anymore like older editions. They just got rid of classic darkvision and call low-light darkvision now
>>
File: Smug_Crab.jpg (12 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Smug_Crab.jpg
12 KB, 400x225
>been running CoS for a bunch of total newbies for a few months now
>they all loved my intro tutorial and show up every week excited to play
>they even branch out, look at running their own groups, playing in other games
>two of them hook up with a random Roll20 DM
>come back next session with horror stories
>no one had tokens
>the monsters had no tokens
>the maps were nowhere near aligned to the grid when they existed at all
>say I've spoiled them by being a great DM for their first campaign
>>
>>47976463
Low-light vision is seeing in dim light as if it were normal/bright light. That solves the 'no need for a light source' problems some DMs have with darkvision.
>>
>>47976332

You got about 5 shitty archetypes

>>Berserker
>>Champion
>>Beastmaster
>>Elements Monk
>>Bladelock

They kinda suck and much better options are available but the individual classes aren't that separated. Overall thats pretty solid and the best balance in (Real) D&D history
>>
File: 1462327305738.jpg (130 KB, 600x446) Image search: [Google]
1462327305738.jpg
130 KB, 600x446
>>47976436
>A) Feats are stupid powerful in 5e, giving everyone one at level 1 is a dumbass move
>B) If you can't account for darkvision when DMing then you kinda suck
i feel like its ironic you can imagine someone taking dark vision into consideration but not a feat. also what are you even worried about? someone taking polearm master at level 1? i'm not even worried about my playgroup doing that, they take stuff like keen mind and skilled. but i would stress that it wouldn't be for power gaming so much as adding to character.
if i was making some published thing you might have a point, but you're worried that i couldn't manage 4 players... i'm not saying you're explicitly wrong but you haven't really illustrated your worries at all.
>C) Deciding "well, I can take this very useful feature away, but I don't need to replace it because they're good enough anyways) is fucking stupid.
well thats why i asked the question...
>D) You're seriously worried about how powerful darkvision is (it isn't all that amazing in 5e) but you're going to give everyone a free feat? You tried to solve a problem that doesn't exist and ended up making a worse problem that does.
the thing about darkvision is.... its pointless. it just means either your whole party has it and they wander dungeons in black and white or someone picks a human or a dragonborn or whatever and then people mention torches. but i think darkness can be a useful tool...
>Terrible DM
i feel like you're being a jerk coz i asked a question about a hypothetical setup for my next campaign. you could convince me my idea is bad but just calling me a dumbass and a terrible dm isn't particularly convincing...
>>
>>47976552
Darkvision in 5e is "See in dim light as if it was bright light, and see in darkness as if it was dim light", which is basically identical to former low-light vision and still seriously nerfed from previous editions. There is no need to nerf it even harder, especially because you can just use magical darkness if you really need them to not see anything in a particular location
>>
>>47976634
Champion isn't shitty, it's just boring
>>
Today I had my first party wipe in 5e

A CN mercenary-like character fucked us over. The evil not-Palpetine politician lured us in, and offered the merc the (huge) amount of money to settle his debts and a little extra as a reward for good faith.
With him against us and the minions of the evil guy we died.

This is my first encounter with a CN character (I got less then a year experience in PnP) and I gotta ask:
Is this CN done right or is this the lolrandom asshole I hear so much about?
>>
>>47976655
If darkvision is pointless they why give a shit about removing it? You've already mentioned that your group isn't powergamers so it's unlikely that they will choose a full darkvision party, and if you really want to use darkness as a tool in an adventure then magical darkness is still open to you

I don't care if you're convinced because I don't play with you but your ideas are fucking terrible, particularly because of your given reasons (darkvision is pointless, but powerful at the same time, darkvision is too powerful so it needs to be removed, but I'm gonna give everyone a free 1st level feat).
>>
>>47976779
Is it an NPC or a PC?

Doesn't really sound like the lolrandumb type, the situation sounds like it makes sense from what little you've told us.
>>
>>47976779
Sounds more like a bad DM, he allowed it and then made it a TPK instead of a chance to escape. I'm assuming there was no way to escape and you didn't ignore it and walk into a meat grinder, right?
>>
>>47976694

Its more about being bad compared to its competitors in the Fighter class. Your basically banking on rolling a 19 for your main class feature of slightly better damage compared to "Screw your Wis save I have Superiority dice" and teleporting Fighters
>>
>>47976820
PC.

We knew that beside adventuring with us he did some shady jobs now and then off-screen to earn some extra dosh. But we didn't dig for a why and just settled with the fact that when he was with us he did his job well.

So I guess our passive behaviour is responsible for this aswell?
>>
>>47971694
>dad with 12 strength
>gives his child a spanking
>2 bludgeoning damage
>child instantly dies
>>
>>47976890
I wouldn't call that shitty though. I'd only reserve shitty to classes that are actively hurting yourself to use, like beastmaster, berserker, and bladelock.
>>
>>47976839
We were ballsdeep in his mansion.

Now thinking back about it I can saw we really missed the fact that there were less gaurds then the first time we checked the mansion for gaurds and getting inside was kinda easy.

We missed not-so-subtle clues I guess.
>>
>>47976894
How did a single PC kill off the rest of you?
>>
>>47976670
Darkvision is see in no light in monochrome for 30ft
>>
>>47976911
I dunno. Even a basic Cat has 2 hitpoints on average. I'd think a Child would have at least 3.

Still few enough that they're basically dead if anything looks at them, but not quite so fragile as to die from a pinprick.

I do think the best way to play it would be to take the Noble Background so you have Retainers, and count the child as one of them. That way you can have a pair of NPCs to watch them and hopefully not get screwed over.
>>
File: darkvision.png (56 KB, 306x75) Image search: [Google]
darkvision.png
56 KB, 306x75
>>47977012
RTFB
>>
>>47976911
yeah but normally when you spank a child, you don't hit it as hard as you fucking can.
like... any adult in the real world could beat a child to death, thats not impressive. you could easily hit any kid in the face and kill them. hell you can end most fights in one hit and kill whoever you hit if you're unlucky (or.... lucky.... if you want to look at it that way).
some people do really beat their children, of course, within an inch of their life (or past that...). but most spankings aren't using like "fight to the death unarmed strikes".
>>
Had a player decide he wanted to change characters after his old character died. So we went on a quest to revive our fallen friend with his new character, an old comrade of the fallen one. Over the course of trying to rescue him the player played an overzealous Paladin. Now, none of us trusted this guy for a second and saw him as little more than a legally sanctioned serial killer. So when we finally revived our fallen comrade and the player was ready to swap back to him after a suitable recovery period we knew that the Paladin was going to try to pull something. Now, despite setting my familiar as a watch on him my DM ruled we all drank a little too much that night (no save), that he stole our McGuffin from my character (no checks) and that he killed all of our mounts, took our cart, and set the stables on fire without alerting any of us and that none of us could be woken by my familiar. And then when we decide to invoke a wish we have been holding onto the entire game to teleport us to him and confront him the genie tells us the McGuffin shields him from our power. Honestly, I'm a little peeved by the whole situation even if I can see what the DM is trying to do...
>>
>>47976894
I mean it certainty sucks to have a party member turn on you but I feel like you could have gauged that his only motivator was gold.

I guess it's CN, pretty boring version and you run into character problems like this where your character can be bought off.
>>
>>47976789
>I don't care if you're convinced because I don't play with you but your ideas are fucking terrible,
ok, idk. you could be right but i don't even really want to think about it because of how you've presented your "argument" if you can call it that. i guess i'm just glad you don't play with me because you seem like an asshole.
>>
>>47976987
He fought alongside the minions of the politician.

We actually almost won because a raging barbarian enhanced with haste is funny.
>>
>>47977116
Have you never been spanked? Never spanked your girlfriend? You can spank as hard as you like many many times and it wouldn't kill an individual unless you're a silverback gorilla.
>>
>>47977162
Do whatever the fuck you want dude. If you want to ignore criticism because it hurt your poor little feelings, that's cool. I'm just tired of DMs who don't understand at all how balance works but decide that they want to seriously homebrew anyways.
>>
>>47976911
>>47977116

Fatal beatings build character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppVpdsClN80
>>
>>47977203
yeah but when you throw unarmed strike into the mix that can be a lot of things. i'm just saying unarmed strikes don't necessarily simulate spanking.
>>
>>47972065
Also it depends on what you think you'll run after the starter set. I'm linking it to out of the apocalypse with ease.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Combat_Melee-Attacks.png (662 KB, 547x732) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Combat_Melee-Attacks.png
662 KB, 547x732
>>47977240
A slap is an unarmed strike, idiot.
>>
Just why do Blue dragons live in deserts? Wouldn't it make more sense thematically for them to live near the ocean or something?
>>
>>47977303
ok. but if i bend a child over and slap their butt, thats totally different than if i punch them in the throat or stomp on their lower back...
we all agree spanking children doesn't mean killing them, so clearly the 12 strength father isn't unarmed striking his kid when he spanks them.
>>
>>47977364
>ocenas are blue so blue dargons should be ocean dragons :)

Just why do Blue dragons live in deserts? Wouldn't it make more sense thematically for them to live in the sky or something?
>>
>>47977364
Blue =/= water.
>>
Hey guys, total newbie GM.

I've been worldbuilding for quite some time now, and one of the stories I want to run involves the player characters unknowingly being capable of ripping items out of other planes with force of will (though at first will be entirely reflexively in response to a need). I've figured out the mechanics for letting them go about this and letting them piece things together, but not so much the actual items they'll be pulling through. It makes sense that this will be a limited but powerful ability and they won't be able to control it willingly from level 5-10 more than likely. However, I also don't want it to be so broken that they know they can just simply fall back on it as a mechanic and breeze through encounters.

How would you generate tables for classes that would give them something respectable but without making me have to constantly increase the CRs they're facing and inevitably TPK the lot of them?
>>
>>47977387
>punch in the throat
1 + strength modifier bludgeoning damage

>slap the bum
1 + strength modifier bludgeoning damage

Stop being stupid. If you, having 12 str, spank a 1hp creature in D&D 5e, that creature dies instantly. It's a game and it doesn't always make sense.
>>
>>47977404
>>47977448
Don't be morons. Obviously he was implying that they would have more to do thematically with stormy regions.

Granted, I'm not making an argument that blues should be living in deserts, but neither have you guys.
>>
>>47977404
>>47977448
Yeah, but there's not a lot of rainfall in deserts, which is odd since they breathe lightning.

It'd be like having White Dragons live in volcanoes. Yeah, no reason they can't, but it just seems like a strange decision, and I'm wondering about the reasoning behind it.
>>
>>47977450
No, it says 'similar forceful blow'. A spank to the butt is not going to use the same force as trying to punch some guy's face in.
>>
>>47977450
>being this fucking dense
>>
>>47977518
Who knows, it's WotC.

There is a lot of thematic junk about oases in the blue dragon section though, so maybe that has to do with it (even though desert oases don't typically appear blue).
>>
>>47977568
Except blue dragons as a concept have been around since before WotC even made the purchase.
>>
>>47977543
A punch is a strike. A punch is unarmed. A punch is forceful. A punch is an unarmed strike.

A slap is a strike. A slap is unarmed. A slap is forceful. A slap is an unarmed strike.

>>47977550
>shit I can't refute this guy... I know! I'll call him stupid! I'm a fuckin genius!!!!
xD kill you're self fag
>>
>>47977642
>A slap is forceful

But not as similarly forceful as a punch kick or headbutt, thus it isn't an unarmed strike.
>>
>>47977610
Cool, it's not like I fucking finger my butthole while I choke myself while reading every piece of literature that has been graced by the Dungeons and Dragons® brand.
>>
>>47977769
Jesus Christ, mate. The guy asked a question expecting an actual answer, and you're acting as if someone is actually pegging you.
>>
>>47977834
Don't get my hopes up, you tease.
>>
>>47977856
No one is saying that a slap can't be an unarmed strike. We're saying that not all slaps are unarmed strikes, in the same way that a playful shove isn't a fucking bull rush, or a hug isn't a fucking pin
>>
Momentum of a punch = ρp
Momentum of a slap = ρs
mass of a hand = mh
velocity of a hand = vh

ρp = (mh)*(vh)
ρs = (mh)*(vh)

ρp = ρs
A slap can be just as forceful as a punch.
>>
>>47977891
Who are you talking to, retard? Anyway, if I slap a person in the bum it is going to hurt
If I punch a person in the bum it is going to hurt (probably less, actually).

A playful slap on the bum wouldn't be an unarmed strike
A forceful slap on the bum would be an unarmed strike

A friendly hug wouldn't be a pin
A forceful hug would be a pin
>>
>>47977962
>Anyway, if I slap a person in the bum it is going to hurt. If I punch a person in the bum it is going to hurt (probably less, actually).

And you know what won't happen? They won't die, because spanking someone isn't an unarmed strike. Glad we agree.
>>
>>47978009
In Dungeons and Dragons® Fifth Edition they will if they are designated as having 1 hit point and I am designated as having 12 strength.
>>
File: BxsXBaBCUAAt6HQ.jpg (39 KB, 600x445) Image search: [Google]
BxsXBaBCUAAt6HQ.jpg
39 KB, 600x445
>>47977962
>Deletes their post because they made a typo
>Continues to argue that spanking would kill a child
>calls me a retard
>>
>>47978043
No, because a slap isn't as forceful as a punch.

>But I can justify that a slap is by using real-life logic!

And then by real life logic it won't kill them. We're going in circles.
>>
>>47978043
>It's Shitposter-kun® again

Alright, move along everyone
>>
>>47977364
>>47977472
>>47977518
jesus christ has no one ever seen a desert lightning storm before?
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Sharpshooter.png (331 KB, 457x289) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Sharpshooter.png
331 KB, 457x289
>the standard deviation of a 1d20 roll is ~5
>therefore the average penalty of a roll with disadvantage is -5
>sharpshooter power attack calls for adding a -5 to your attack roll
>sharpshooter power attack is essentially made with disadvantage
>attack rolls for an enemy you cannot see are made with disadvantage
>sharpshooter power attack: close your eyes for the shot and get a +10 to damage if you hit
Wizards logic

>>47978079
>Delete my post b/c typo
reasonable action
>Continues to argue about slapping kids
reasonable action considering thatit is logically achievable within the parameters of the system
>Call you a retard
You are a retard. Sorry, mate.

>>47978104
The system calls for "forcefulness" and the system follows the same physical principles as reality, so implementing a mathematical comparison of in-game concepts using common physical principles is permissible.

We're not going in circles. You're just an unintelligent fuckin' bozo.

>>47978241
>"aw man its that guy who picks on me... guys please... if u just ingore him he'll leave me alone"
Fuckin' b'awwww. Kill yourself, you pathetic manchild.
>>
>>47978320
It's more like aiming for the head instead of torso.
>>
>>47978320
welcome back virt
>>
Why do people reply to shitposters?
>>
>>47978355
Alright, yeah, that's pretty reasonable. Thanks, friend.
>>
>>47978363
>post stupid shit
Dude you're wrong
>"but i want to be right"
This proves that you are wrong
>"fuckin shitposters, am i rite guys???XD"

I was not prepared to encounter this level of inanity today.
>>
>>47972208
"This is NOT just another monster manual!" Fuck off WotC, just make it another monster manual. I would love another 200 pages of just monsters, ported from previous editions or something. As it stands, it looks like they're going to do the same thing they did with scag and fuck it up by injecting a voice.
>>
>>47978401
Some people find a strange fun in reading rules wrong, pointing out how they're broken, and insulting anyone who points out their flawed logic.

Some people find more fun in trying to prove them wrong.

It's a cycle.
>>
>>47978477
Unfortunately you can't prove someone wrong who only objective is to make people angry.
>>
File: 5e_MM_Frog.png (401 KB, 564x636) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Frog.png
401 KB, 564x636
>>47978477
>the rules dictate that spanking a frog whilst having 12 str would instantly kill it
>people argue that that isn't the case because in da movies, the good guy punches people... he does not slap them
>demonstrate using the system's own parameters that they are incorrect
>"HOW CAN SHE SLAP?"

>>47978505
>"He disagrees with me so he is a troll"
>"I can't out-debate him so he is a troll"
>"This is my first day posting on 4chan, where's my official /b/tard hat :P. ALso that guy is a troll."
>>
>>47972065
Don't link it to PotA. You'll regret it.
>>
>>47978565
Then I suppose the answer is that children in 5e must not have 1 HP.
>>
File: eti_topkek_ailesi.gif (59 KB, 412x280) Image search: [Google]
eti_topkek_ailesi.gif
59 KB, 412x280
>TFW I fucking killed my child
>>
File: SPANK.png (37 KB, 1435x517) Image search: [Google]
SPANK.png
37 KB, 1435x517
>>47978618
>that damage control
m8, that is fucking pottery
>>
>>47978697
Nope. Just bringing back the goalposts >>47976911

But now that we've settled that. Have a nice day.
>>
File: 1393502304743.jpg (84 KB, 601x800) Image search: [Google]
1393502304743.jpg
84 KB, 601x800
Sup kiddos, can I play a lizard man of some sort in 5e? Preferably something other than a Dragonborn or a Memebold.
>>
>>47978753
I don't think there are any official rules for it currently, but my group has a homebrewed lizardfolk PC
>>
File: woolie hole.png (84 KB, 740x328) Image search: [Google]
woolie hole.png
84 KB, 740x328
>people just now finding out that D&D doesn't make sense when you apply its rules literally to every situation

No fucking shit, people. Did I hop in a time machine and arrive back in 2003?
>>
>>47978728
>innocent poster in previous thread makes an incorrect assumption
>I extrapolate his assumption using the parameters of the system to exhibit a humorous logical conclusion
>retards argue that a slap isn't an unarmed strike because muh a spank couldn't kill someone
>clarify that a slap would kill a 1hp creature
>retards still cannot understand
>after much facepalming and mansplaining, you actual morons finally get it
>"ohhh well like a frog, you know, that has 1 HP, yeah... a slap would kill it."
>point out that that's what i was saying the whole time
>"DUDE"
>"MOVING THE GOALPOST"

I'm genuinely curious how it feels to have an IQ that simply must be below 80. Care to share? Genuine request, I want to know what it's like.
>>
>>47978801
We're all aware, but most of us aren't dumbasses who are gonna go "you spanked that kid, he's dead now, it's in the rules" because we have a brain when we play.
>>
>>47977450
I'm sorry but what type of fucking game are you in where people roll for child spanking damage? How in anyway is this fucking relevant or usable?

Also by your logic, touching anyone in anyway should do the same damage as a punch to the face. Its fucking illogical.
>>
>>47978872
This. No good GM will stick 100% to the rules and never deviate when specific situations arise.
>>
>>47977449
Be sure the items don't give +1, +2, +3, etc. to attack rolls, saving throws, AC, etc. and don't give always on damage boosts like the Flametongue and you'll be fine. Make the items do once per rest type of abilities that give options instead of making things numerically improve.
>>
>>47978852
He was dropped on the head as a child, but it was okay because drops < 10 feet do no damage.
>>
>>47978990
The only thing is at least for the first chunk, their summoned weapons will phase out of existence out of combat, so the point of a charge based or once per day type item seems perhaps worthless (unless enforcing a random charge use that also will phase out on an unsuccessful roll after exhausting charges).

I probably should have clarified on that part.
>>
>>47979048
A baby falling 9.99 feet will be unharmed but a baby getting spanked is dead. Nice
>>
>>47979083
I'm not sure I'm following your logic. A temporary power/one use item sounds like exactly what you want to avoid jacking up CR too much.
>>
File: SPANKED.png (159 KB, 2070x1080) Image search: [Google]
SPANKED.png
159 KB, 2070x1080
>>47978872
>"We're well aware [that D&D doesn't make sense when you apply its rules to literally every situation], but most of us aren't dumbasses"

>"we're well aware"
>"we totally weren't asserting that slapping a 1hp child would not kill it"

Holy fuck mate, I'm having a laugh. I love coming to this board and making you autistic poo-brains sperg out. Look at all that red.

>>47978967
Here we go again. Try reading through the thread again and then come back if you still think that. I'm giving you a chance to redeem yourself here, pumpkin.

>>47979048
>"heh... th-the guy who just absolutely BLEW ME THE FUCK OUT... he is retard.. hehe"
I can envision the little smirk of satisfaction that must have appeared on your greasy, unkempt face as you typed that.

It's pretty silly to call stupid the person who just out-smarted you...

Mate....
>>
>>47979136
I'm just saying that if the weapon will fizzle out the second they're out of combat anyway, the point of it only having temporary power seems kind of pointless to be the "limiting factor" since it's just going to disappear anyway, right?
>>
>>47978681
>>47979095
>>47978565

>twf no one has yet to bring up nonlethal damage.

Even assuming that slaps are always treated as unarmed strikes intended to do damage, you can still perform nonlethal damage and just knock the person or creature unconscious.
>>
All yall niggas talking about spanking don't realize spanks don't deal damage not because they are unarmed strikes, but because they are shoves to knock prone. Typically spanked targets are already prone though, so nothing fucking happens.

Just like real life.
>>
>>47979196
No. Because it's still a magical weapon to overcome resistances and what not. You just didn't change the probability of attacks landing. Maybe it gets to hit really hard one time before it phases out. Maybe it's a throwing weapon made of shadows that has one chance to blind something. It can swing the fight a bit without drastically changing the character's capabilities for the duration of the encounter.
>>
>>47979219
I have never seen a motherfucker spanked unconscious. Not even out of pleasure in fetish manga.
>>
>>47979239
Alright, I somewhat see your point then. So perhaps it'll be best to create a bunch of unique effects on a table and have them roll for that, with the item always pertaining to something their class can use. I'll give that a go.
>>
>>47979219
Hey, there, great point friend. You win the "Cool Guy of the Thread" award. Enjoy!
>>
>>47979191
>attacking the person and not their argument.
Try again mate, you have made no counter argument.
>>
>>47979392
Dude it's a troll. Just stop talking to them, they aren't interested in actual discussion
>>
>>47979246
Imagine the following scenario

>on the International Space Station
>there's a frog up there with you
>you let the frog out of its container
>after location the frog's bum, you wind up and give it a spank

Not unlikely that the frog is now dead or unconscious, huh.

>>47979392
I wasn't trying to refute any arguments in that post, care to elaborate?
>>
>>47979417
But I only just started arguing with them.
>>
>>47979417
>>47979435
The troll doesn't care, just as long as someone is paying attention and getting their jimmies rustled.
>>
>>47976911
>>47979424
The original post is about spanking a child, a strike obviously not intending to kill. You can move to the frog all you want but we really don't give a shit at this point.
>>
>>47979424
Anon questioned the relevancy and necessity of using spanking damage as a counter to the argument that the rules are unrealistic, therefore explaining that the rules don't need to be this specific and defined as one would never have the need to roll spanking damage. you in turn refer to him as childish and fail to explain why such details are relevant or needed.

6/10 troll, made me respond twice.
>>
>>47979417
>>47979435
>>47979451
My preferred pronouns are xe/xim/xis in case you wish to stop using plural pronouns to refer to an individual.

>>47979451
>gets proven wrong on the internet
>"better call him a troll to save face"
Jesus Christ, your whining is much less worthy of bandwidth than my posts. Do you need me to say sorry for hurting your feelings? Will you stop fucking whining if I do?

>>47979477
One of the parameters was that the creature being spanked has 1HP maximum. Be careful, I feel like you're about to make yourself look stupid, but if you stop posting now, you can make it out of this situation with your anonymous pride intact.
>>
>>47979533
>you can make it out of this situation with your anonymous pride intact
Yes, because I so highly value what you think of me
>>
>>47979533
You're a them, as in both of your brain cells
>>
>>47979533
Fucking shakespear used they and them as singular pronouns I don't really give a shit what a dude who needs to shitpost on a shitty imageboard to get his dick hard thinks about grammar.
>>
>>47979528
Oh, I see why you're confused, allow me to explain. >>47978801 enters the scene after my glorious anonymous /tg/ victory over the multiple pseudointellectuals who were attempting to debate without accepting the debate's parameters. He comments that, as I previously mentioned >>47977450 in this post, D&D is just a children's table top game and therefore it is not always realistic. >>47978872 is presumable one of the pseudointellectuals who was arguing that D&D is realistic and therefore that performing an unarmed strike on a creature with 1HP maximum whilst having 12 Str would not kill that creature. In his post, he attempts to frame himself as, like myself and >>47978801, being aware that D&D is not always realistic, particularly in the case of the spanking of the 1HP maximum creature. I posted a screencap of the discussion that marks all the pseudointellectuals' posts wherein they make arguments that imply that they expect D&D to be realistic in all cases. These marked posts contradict >>47978872's notion that he and his pseudointellectual colleagues did not attempt to assert that slapping a 1HP maximum creature whilst having 12Str in D&D® 5th Edition would cause that creature to instantly die.
>>
So I'm somewhat stuck on ideas. I've designed many optional early game adventures for the party to choose from and have the main plot planned out up to the end, but I'm also trying to design some side adventures for them to go on if they so choose. My main problem is I'm stuck on thinking of clever side quests for a medium / high level party to go on. The side quests can be complex, but not so complex they overshadow the main plot.
>>
>>47979782
It's good to have things pre-made so you can use them as necessary, but a big part of DMing is being reactive. You only need to have enough done for one session of each side quest before you flesh it out. Keep notes of what the players did and what they reacted to most so you get an idea of what will go over well when you expand on it.
>>
File: jlo thumbs up.gif (406 KB, 245x285) Image search: [Google]
jlo thumbs up.gif
406 KB, 245x285
Rolled 14, 10, 12, 11, 19, 17 = 83 (6d20)

>>47979574
Good call.

>>47979577
pic related

>>47979620
Hey, if that's your preference, it is certainly colloquially acceptable. But it is technically correct, so I was just providing you with the information you'd need to speak correctly.
>muh appeal to authority
>>
>>47979843
>But it is technically correct
it is technically *incorrect*

We all make mistakes, right mates?
>>
>>47979782
I always say that when in doubt, turn to existing adventures for inspiration. 80% of most D&D games consist of theft of ideas anyways
>>
So what is everyone's thoughts on Revenants? I find their constant regeneration super bullshit and it doesn't help that the one in my party is fucking LE.
>>
>>47979782
If you are talking about level 12 or so you could have the party go to stop an evil archmage who is doing the usual evil guy is evil stuff and have the players go into his tower to stop him. What I would recommend is just put a level into the encounter generator and just keep pressing random encounter until you find some enemies that might make a good story and just go off of that.
>>
>>47979782
Kill the rats in the basement. Never fails
>>
Anyone in a Curse of Strahd game? How are you liking it?
>>
>>47979721
So you're using a situation that would never occur and no sane person would ever run, further more that the system was never designed to handle or address such situation. additionally you are proposing stringent conditions on a "open to interpretation ruling (forceful strike or equivalent. what counts as forceful is opinion)

I don't see where your arguments have any merit

One thing everyone forgets is that the rule books are guides, they are changeable and secondary to gm's rules in every instance.

>my glorious anonymous /tg/ victory over the multiple pseudointellectuals

yeah you're an idiot, happy shitposting from here on out.
>>
>>47979930
That sounds like an issue of player behavior instead of game mechanics.

I think Revenant sucks but it's not something ban-worthy.
>>
>>47979424
A frog is not a person, and a zero grav environment is not what the PHB has in mind for its rules. Might as well be talking about how the jumping rules don't work in space because you won't come back down or other nonsense.
>>
>>47979995
Well, when his behavior can't be punished because he literally just regens any time he drops to 0 HP, I find the race still pretty bullshit. Even not counting his behavior, I don't feel any risk with him around since he can't go down for more than a round as he'll just regen a hit point on his turn and get up
>>
>>47979980
>>47980009
Just stop, we have the chance for a decent comment thread.
>>
>>47980039
A DM can punish any unwanted behavior though. The idea that a player should be able to ruin other people's fun because of mechanics is laughable.
>>
>>47980039
Just set him on fire or some other condition that will continue knocking him down whenever he gets back up, or use conditions that won't kill him but just leave him disabled.
>>
>>47979980
>whining
>whining
and, WOAH, SURPRISINGLY...
>more whining

Yes anon I am totally and idiot. Stay mad.
>>
>>47975571
I actually really like this homebrew. As the poster said though, no say on its balance. Can anyone a little more well versed in 5e give it a quick look over and say anything about this? The only thing that jumps out to me is that at 8th it recieves both extra damage to its attacks and a bonus to its cantrips, which no other cleric gains, and seems kind of unnecessary. It's probably not exceptionally unbalanced, but just seems like it's a small edge above the average Cleric.
>>
>>47980009
The ISS was extraneous and just for fun.

A frog has 1 hp maximum.

A 1 hp maximum creature is what was being considered.

b

t

f

o
>>
>>47980104
I did throw an alchemist fire on him once and that kept him down (he just attacked a priest near to death for no reason) but it still doesn't solve the problem that encounters are way too easy when one of your party members basically rolls a nat 20 on their death saving throws every round.
>>
>>47980039
Why are you trying to punish him in game? Just ask him to stop being an asshole.
>>
>>47980172
Chill touch prevents healing if you're going to keep being passive-aggressive instead of dealing with the player behind the character.
>>
>>47980039
You could just set a house rule where you can go below 0 hp to a minimum of -5 or something so that he can't get up immediately.
>>
>>47980142
I think that level 8 feature is fine. The main things I see it being useful for are making Crossbows stay a viable option for the Cleric, since by that point they'd be rather outpaced by Cantrips, and making using cantrips through your companion more viable.

Most of the features are flavorful, and give a lot of tools to solve problems, but none of it seems broken or overpowered.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 71

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.