[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: General.jpg (296 KB, 1024x928) Image search: [Google]
General.jpg
296 KB, 1024x928
Late night memein' edition

>Rules databases
https://mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
https://kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
https://mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q
>>
>>47962643
I want to stab Tau with vanilla SM. What units would be best for both surviving the charge and doing the stabbing?
>>
Are Librarian Dreads, Furiosos, and Death Company dreads worth taking now?

I don't understand why people don't like Librarian Dreads - the argument is one lascannon can blow it up but that's also true of a regular librarian. The only difference is you can look out sir a regular librarian but they can be killed by sheer volume of fire while a Libby dread needs to be targeted by very high strength 8+ weaponry.
>>
>>47962680
surviving the charge is gonna be the hardest part. Take Iron Hands Command Squad with Apothecary, Storm Shields and power weapons of choice (mauls wouldn't be bad since FWs dont have good armor anyway).
>>
Bought the Deldar codex and my first box of warriors, I can't wait for my LGS to get the new start collecting kit!
>>
File: 1452168431145.gif (3 MB, 300x368) Image search: [Google]
1452168431145.gif
3 MB, 300x368
The 40k players at my shop are mostly well adjusted, normal guys who aren't complete autists lIke the warmachine and mtg players.
>>
>>47962680
skyhammer
bikes with librarian babysitters

for a non-meme answer.. it depends. A stormraven dropping off an assault unit+dread can get work done, but you're going to be running a gauntlet of interceptor/skyfire thanks to all the tau options.

Similarly, depending on what kind of AV they're packing, a land-raider CAN deliver a unit unmolested, it's just really expensive.

Drop pod saturation is another option, but that's going to be messy no matter what they have.
>>
>>47962781
>FWs
what about riptides?
>>
>>47962837
Get fucked, basically. Instead of taking power weapons, take gravguns on those bikes and just volley him down.
>>
Why hasn't someone written a unique skirmish ruleset using GW models?

Not just kill team, something that's functionally and mechanically distinct from 40k. You could almost certainly do it in such a way that you're not in violation of copyright.

Or do they exist and they're just all shit?
>>
>>47963150
Just sub in your 40k models for the equivalent faction in any other skirmish wargame.
>>
>>47960706

I thought they did. Fucking neat. Get loads of those. Can they only be run as DKoK? I love the models, but feel traitorous using Not!WW1Germans.
>>
>>47962720
Libby Dreads, and this is true of all vehicles, need other vehicles to pull fire. Throw in a couple other dreads, some tanks, and they can do okay.
>>
>>47963150
What do you mean by Skirmish? How many models? What's wrong with Kill Team?

As for the skirmish shit, you could probably make your own using Age of Skubmar's idea. Give most units the same shit, with minor differences and unique skills making the difference.

There is probably more Skirmish games out there you could use.
>>
>>47963150

Tomorrow's War bruh
>>
>>47963150
You mean Inquisitor/Necromunda? Someone made a version of that for 28mm, search the rules for that and I found this if it intersts you and Im sure you can play Necromund if you find the rules.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKfXx2Gt1WdOGYwYmQ0YTAtYTg3ZS00YmFkLWEyN2MtOWI1MzBiN2I0Zjk4/view
>>
What's a good amount of units of troops to take if they're decent/good?
>>
>>47962720
Librarian Dreads are great if you get the following:

Electro Shield + Quickening.

If you also get a separate Librarian to cast Warp Metal on it, it gets +1AV everywhere.

But Electroshield is the main thing to go for, as it's a 3++. Sure, the Space Wolves get that for free (front arc only thou) for it's unique Dread, it's neat for the Librarian Dread because it allows him to survive for longer. Especially if you get +3A/3I and Fleet.

Fleet is also incredibly useful on the Librarian Dread. Since it's basically a Ven Dread with a Force Weapon. Sure, on a regular charge, he'll only do 3A, but that's potential 3 Force Hits. With best Quickening roll, could be 6A.

Of course, difficult to get it.

ML3 Librarians for Grey Knights are neat if they get Warp Metal, since it makes your Paladin units T5 and prevents several auto-kill guys.
>>
File: warhammer1.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
warhammer1.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
Anyone have the rules for the new Eldar/DE starter boxes?
>>
File: 1450663592914.gif (776 KB, 500x273) Image search: [Google]
1450663592914.gif
776 KB, 500x273
>go down to the local GW expecting another easy fight
>bring my newly painted exalted seeker chariot
>1st game against tau, shot to bits
>managed to give my exalted seeker chariot 2++ due to book and warp surge, absorbed massive amounts of fire
>dies in overwatch due to -1 to invuls
>book betrays me twice
>tabled shortly after
>2nd game against grey knights
>exalted chariot and chariot charge invisible grey knights only to be smashed quickly
>fiends tie up invisible grey knights and eventually win
>gave up around turn 5

so i guess i didn't get good and time to pull out some more daemon trickery. i'm kinda impressed by how vastly different the games went. gotta be wary of those grey knights, i got lucky the last time i faced them. samus + skarbrand + more psychic powers + assassins
>>
File: I asked for this.jpg (23 KB, 500x311) Image search: [Google]
I asked for this.jpg
23 KB, 500x311
>2k SM vs 2k CSM game
>Lasts for 7 turns, either lose by 1 or 2 victory points or tie
>Beginning of the game goes great for me
>His reserves arrive and things start going in his favor and he eventually turns it around
>Biker Champion challenges my sergeant
>Sergeant rolls 2 fives to hit, 2 sixes to wound killing the biker with his power sword
>Biker rolls wounds 3 times, sergeant makes 3 6+ FNP rolls
>his Chaos lord Warlord kills my scout sergeant in a challenge, becomes a Deamon Prince
>Smashes my Ironclad dreadnought in 1 attack
>Kills the rest of the scout squad
>Dies in overwatch to The Imperial Space Marine
>My warlord techmarine charges one of his hellbrutes
>Dies in overwatch to its multi-melta
>Culexus Assassin finishes off 5 chaos marines and holds a Hellbrute and a Terminator squad off of an objective
>Before its 12" no psyker field allowed a plasma squad to kill a raptor squad and his Chaos Sorcerer by dispelling their biomancy blessing
>The Imperial Space Marine took the kill shot on the Sorcerer
>Deredeo dreadnought sat in the back of the field doing nothing until dying to deepstriking terminators
>One sternguard combat squad shot and killed a Hellbrute in the last turn to give me a victory point, they had done nothing all game because of opponent's deployment
>One dreadnought did nothing all game except sit on an objective because of opponent's deployment

What a fun match.
>>
>>47963910
They have 4 base attacks now.
>>
>>47964184
Say what? When did that change?
>>
>>47964224
look on the 40k facebook page.
>>
>>47962643
Not a regular to these threads but keep seeing them get weirder and weirder in the catalog.

What the hell is going on, is GW lacing their models with LSD or something now?
>>
>>47964250
a couple of people got tired of the OP image and changed it, sometimes we bitch about it, sometimes we don't.
>>
>>47964250
>lacing models with LSD
That might justify the price, actually.
>>
File: rearbasilisk.jpg (30 KB, 500x889) Image search: [Google]
rearbasilisk.jpg
30 KB, 500x889
Is this how the rear of a Basilisk is supposed to look? This is the first one I've built, and the I don't think I've missed a step, but it has this giant gap in the rear of its chassis. Is there a step I'm missing somewhere?
>>
>>47962823
Yeah wtf is up with WM/Hordes players? The group at my flgs is like the worst of the worst. As in they might have like 4 or 5 legit autists; none of them are normal. Theres a few loud ones; one guy was loudly proclaiming his hate for GW and anyone that played 40k, while my friend and I played a 1500 point game 10 feet away from him.
None of them -not a single one- has a fully painted army. And the few painted models Ive walked up to have a look at looked like they were painted by an 8 year old. I know I sound like a dick, but its a pretty bizarre scene: a bunch dudes ranging from overtly rude to 'is this motherfucker a non-functioning autist' to low-end neckbeardery.

Id never touch WM/Hordes just because of that, let alone the artstyle.
>>
>>47964240
Wow. Thanks anon. I didn't notice that hidden in there.

That means a Librarian with a perfect Quickening does 8 attacks on the Charge. They do S10 AP2 8 attacks. This can also be Force against T6+ models. This also includes hitting at I7 AND it gets Fleet for that extra movement.

Conversely, Murderfang has 7A on the charge (Question; does Rage activate if the unit has Counter-Attack, it doesn't, right? Or does it?). Anyway, 7A on the charge, S7 AP2, Shred and Master-Crafted.

You could make him ML2 (BA Lib) but the 1/6 chance to get the 3++ is depressing. Rolling for Warp Metal might be OK.
>>
>>47964454
>(Question; does Rage activate if the unit has Counter-Attack, it doesn't, right? Or does it?)

IIRC, it actually does, as long as they're making an Ordered Charge.
>>
>>47964445
The opposite at my FLGS. I saw a couple playing a game, they were pretty cool about showing me how it works, how it compares to other games, had well painted models, etc.
>>
File: necron_overlord.jpg (250 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
necron_overlord.jpg
250 KB, 900x1165
Is the Necron start collecting box good enough to start an army with it?
>>
>>47964496
Its good enough to start collecting with.
>>
>>47964495
Huh.
>>
>>47963956
Eldar gets twinlinked on fireprism if target is in sight of farseer
Dark eldar get preferred enemy if within 12' of the archon(yes, you can take less than 10 kabalites and put the warriors and archon into the raider)
>>
>>47964882
That Eldar box is very attrative to me.
Not because it's a good formation but the box itself is some 150 USD for 85 bucks and with a couple parts from Ebay you get a wave serpent or flacon instead of the fire prism
>>
>>47964444
pretty shure, you use the wrong bit when putting the chimera chassis together.
The red one is for a chimera who uses a rear door, hence the doorhinge parts.
The orange one is for the others.
>>
>>47964967
You can get a nightspinner, without modifications from that.

For extra cool buy the FW serpent turret instead of the GW one
>>
>>47965047
But those look worse
>>
>>47964985
Okay, wrong picture, now posting the right one
>>
>>47964496
Yes.
Also the formation is really really good, by far the best out of all the start collecting formations.
>>
>>47964445
the rulebook used to excuse being a cock with its page 5, which was the equivalent of a game intro written by someone with roid rage. they've since changed it, but the attitude still remains somewhat, not to mention the game encourages being a massive WAACfag and there's very little hobby potential due to the posing and materials used
>>
File: basilisk1.jpg (47 KB, 500x889) Image search: [Google]
basilisk1.jpg
47 KB, 500x889
>>47964985
>>47965073
Well fuck, that pisses me off quite a bit. The Basilisk's instructions say to use the red one!
>>
File: basilisk2.jpg (38 KB, 500x889) Image search: [Google]
basilisk2.jpg
38 KB, 500x889
>>47965202
I get to the end and its like "just shove the turret in there, no one will ever see its rear armor, right?"

Now to find out how to disassemble this shit without destroying it too bad...
>>
>>47964133
good work
>>
So again, with the +2 attacks change to dreads, are Blood Angels dreads worth taking now?
>>
>>47962680
Honour Guard, supported by backline Lascannon Devastators, or a Deredeo.

Honour Guard's native 2+ saves make them a very hard target for most tau lists, since they tend to not bring that much AP2. You only need to worry about the railguns(which are very rare in competitive lists apparently), and Plasma Rifles.

With a backfield line of devastators or a deredeo, you just need to remove the threats that will Ap-out your honour guard. The deredeo does the same thing, except with split-fire so he can kerblam 2 different units at a time.
>>
Anyone got the WD guides that was posted a few threads ago? The ones for the baneblade and gobsmasha
>>
>>47965583
Hide an Inquisitor with an Ulumeathi Plasma Syphon in there and you don't even need to worry about plasma rifles either.
>>
Does anyone agree to just scoring 2 VPs every time you would score d3? I think it would prevent people from losing based on one dice roll.
>>
>>47965223
First off, that is a guess. The part migt not fit.
Rather than cut your tank, I would cut the orange part to fill the gap with. Oh and depending on your view, you might want to get rid of the hinges, too.
>>
>>47965988
After doing some looking, it looks like the Orange part is indeed a part that looks rational. It fits in the place cleanly, and would cover up that gap. Anyone know a easy/good way to take this apart?
>>
>>47965838
i like randomness even when it bites me in the ass. i even managed to laugh off giving myself 6++ across my army... i admit i was playing it off cringing hard as fuck inside though
>>
>>47962680
>survive the charge
>tau
there won't be a charge, just a lot of shooting.
>>
>>47966038
>66038â–¶
> >>47965988 (You)
> After doing some looking, it looks like the Orange part is indeed a part that looks rational. It fits in the place cleanly, and would cover up that gap. Anyone know a easy/good way to take this apart?

Not really, sorry. I would not recommend to cut there, its a bad spot.

You might wish to email GW with pictures etc. so they correct it.
>>
File: Please Emperor.png (201 KB, 319x379) Image search: [Google]
Please Emperor.png
201 KB, 319x379
>>47962680
>>47966079
CAN'T WAKE UP
>>
File: oh shit man.gif (2 MB, 280x156) Image search: [Google]
oh shit man.gif
2 MB, 280x156
>>47966079
>mfw i played right into a tau player's hands and damn near his entire army fired on my chariot

i need more artillery
>>
What's the most effective way to run a tetrad without decking out all the princes? Lash prince and Nurgle prince?
What's the best way to run it under 1000 total points?
>>
>>47966400
You didn't have the iron within, Anon. There's some shame to that.
>>
>>47966422
i gave up on csm a while ago but they hold a special place in my heart, i do have some lascannon havocs just sitting in a box...

guess i should get some daemon engines eh?
>>
>>47966050
IMO The randomness factor is already satisfied by the fact the TO's are random.
>>
>>47966474
That's you're only hope. Your Gods want you to suffer because having sadistic gods that act more like children and have a dinosaur fetish isn't the best lifestyle.
>>
Curious, but do the Legion basilisks have any 40k rules.

I'm kind of curious as to why they don't show up in the Traitor Legions anymore given the Iron Warriors very likely have many.
>>
>>47964133
Sounds like a great game. This is what 40k should be, just pure killy fun.
>>
>>47966474
be'lakor + lord of skulls/greater brass scorpion/chaos knight/kde

It is your only hope
>>
>>47966769
>TO's are random.
>tfw I play Coteaz so turn order isn't random
>>
>>47967083
I think in maybe ye olden 3.5 days the Iron Warriors could use them.
>>
>>47967083
nope, though back in the day iron warriors could take them and were the bane of the tabletop for that edition
>>
File: Necron_Overlord.png (2 MB, 893x1177) Image search: [Google]
Necron_Overlord.png
2 MB, 893x1177
i have a question who do you think are better newcrons or oldcrons
>>
>>47967311
i prefer newcrons, mainly because they arent metal tyranids
>>
>>47967311
>>47967323
Yeah not being a literal NPC faction is good.

Then again there is some appeal to dethbots. I like to think that some are still under the thrall of the C'tan and thus exist as oldcrons.
>>
>>47967311
I liked Oldcrons in terms of lists
I loved having 1 OL, 5 Lords and 6 blobs of 20 warriors and it being viable to do so @ 2k
>>
>>47967083
You can ally in a Purge Detachment of Renegades and Heretics for cheap artillery spam.
>>
>>47967323
yea but they removed FTL travel but i like how they gave some of them personalty
>>
>>47967311
Newcrons, they have personality, lulz and YourDudeness
Old "creepy ancient things that we know nothing about" crons were kind of... Not enough.
>>
I know it's unlikely, but does anyone know what the Stormcloud: Rooty-Tooty-Fly-and-Shooty games rules are like? I'll never buy the box set, because I don't want two different factions' flyers, but I heard that there are profiles for like 25 other flyers.

I can't imagine that the rules for that could be any worse than 40k, and it might be a fun reason to take my models off the shelf.
>>
>>47967411
why is Trazyn my favorite newcron
>>
>>47967530
it seems like a really odd release, but I guess that shitty flier supplement didn't sell flier kits like they hoped it would
>>
File: amused necron.jpg (31 KB, 472x443) Image search: [Google]
amused necron.jpg
31 KB, 472x443
>>47967311
Middlecrons.
>>
>>47967099
lord of skulls i could do and it seems like they're getting rid of it physically in gw stores... but it's like 888 points and i'd feel like a jerk trying to use it in 1850/1500
>>
>>47967617
its not actually that terrifying, its weapons are only decent and its not particularly difficult to take down, though it is great in combat
one of the softer LoW choices for sure
>>
File: image.jpg (79 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79 KB, 480x480
>>47966079
Cant fire overwatch at the Tallyband. Too many flies.
>>
>>47967562
Really, Necrons should just be about wacky and crazy MURDERMACHINES that MURDER things for the sake of FUN and MURDER. Somewhere out there is a necron lord who calls himself "MURDERPANTS the MURDERBOT of planet MURDER" whose entire goal is to MURDER people and take their pants.

His obvious arch nemesis is MURDERWINGS and MURDERCLAW.
>>
>>47965510
Bumping question
>>
>>47968009
It's already been answered. A guy literally gave you a play by play of how the old one was basically worth anyways, and then he went "oh kek he gets two more attacks now yep"

what more do you want
>>
>>47968034
There was no analysis of DC or Furioso, only Libby
>>
>>47968066
Short version: yeah they're deadly as fuck with all those attacks. Getting them into CC is, as always, the issue, but if you're even asking you either don't care or have a way to solve that.
>>
File: DSCF412611.jpg (579 KB, 1072x804) Image search: [Google]
DSCF412611.jpg
579 KB, 1072x804
>>47964104
>newly painted exalted seeker chariot
Pic please.

I'm about to paint my own Exalted Chariot, I'm not sure about the colours of the chariot itself.

This is my colour scheme.

>book betrays me twice
That's the think about Daemons. Everything is so random, it's normal to lose a game where you are doing great just because of a single roll. And viceversa.
>>
>>47968221
Drop pods are 35 points
>>
File: 1466445622354.png (183 KB, 296x378) Image search: [Google]
1466445622354.png
183 KB, 296x378
What is the most fun amount of points that is widely played? 500 seems a bit lacking.
>>
>>47968521
I enjoy 1k with randoms
2k with m8s

So i would say 1750, since 1850 is full of cheese and WAAC faggots
>>
>>47968548
1K with drop-ins is fun, 1500 with friends is best, 2000 points for serious games, 1850 is for WAACfriends and tournaments
>>
>>47968521
1500 and 1850 are the point values you'll see most often. 1250 and 1500 are usually considered the best. The game is "balanced" (>40k >balanced >lel) around 1500 points. 850, 1k, and 2k are also common. 2k doubles (1000 per player 2v2) is by far the most common setup with more than 2 players
>>
>>47968280
maybe later, it's 2 am here. my colors don't really match my army but i didn't intend to do a uniform look.
>>
>>47968486
And deploy them right into convenient Melta range.
>>
>>47968521
I love 1000 points.

It's easier to organize 1250 though.
It's in the middle and tends to be appreciated from both skirmish lovers and standard tournaments players.
>>
Lads, I'm going over to my buddy's place to help him learn the game after like 4 years of doing nothing with it. He's got Orks and has about 2 AobR's worth of dudes and 2 Deff Dreads. He doesn't even know how to make lists so I'm gonna whip up a practice one for him. Literally anything goes.

Since I'm lugging around my laptop and some other shit, i don't want to bring an actual army, so was thinking of just running a couple of unbound CSM units (just bring the bases and we counts-as). A 5-man Cyclopia Cabal with some bells n whistles and 5 spawn attached versus like.. 100 orks and a few walkers. That good enough? Might slap on MoN to make them a bit more survivable but I realized I don't really need to use Invis much since BS2..
>>
Is it possible to play Vet IG lists, or do the Guard just need the raw bodycount to be successful?

Really, really want to get into them, but I'm a poorfag that can't afford blobs.
>>
>>47968521
>500 seems a bit lacking
500 points sucks shit for some armies cause you can barely field your basic troops. I have to field under-strength Rubric troops to fit. I get like 15 bodies on the field at those points.
>>
>>47968786
vet lists will cost just as much as blob lists since you need chimeras and special weapons
>>
>>47968782

You might wanna consider going with more, cheaper models.

If you've only got a handful of units and he's running squads all over the place, the match is gonna devolve into Assault Phase skipping right into Assault Phase really fast. This, in my opinion, is really boring.

Give him some ranged things to chase down, or some weaker CC units for his boys to chew through so he can feel good about his army!
>>
>>47968803
>500 points suck because I can't field enough of the most overpriced troop in the game.
>>
>>47968811

So basically cough up the cash either way, or pick a different army?
>>
>>47967323
Metal Tyranids > Metal Eldar.

Or are you retarded and prefer it the other way?
>>
>>47968832
Hm, you're right. I shouldn't cheap out on my buddy just because it saves me some convenience. I suppose I can pack a few more things, perhaps some basic CSM, a squad of Obliterators and a 20-man cultist blob?
>>
>>47968866
if you like elite humans, you might consider scions

the Start Collecting! Scions box is a really good value, and the formation bonus is good too
>>
>>47967346
>I like to think that some are still under the thrall of the C'tan and thus exist as oldcrons.

What you like to think is utterly irrelevant. That type of Necrons no longer exists in the lore.
>>
>>47968848
Yes, and? I said 500 points sucks for some armies. I play Thousand Sons and it sucks for me so my statement is not inaccurate.
>>
>>47968890
if i remember the lore only the lords or upper have freewill
>>
>>47968919
And how does that that relate to anything?
>>
>>47968895
500 point thousand sons army
>Sorcerer - 60 pts
>Cultists - 50 pts
>Cultists - 50 pts
>Heldrake - 170 pts
>Heldrake - 170 pts

on a more serious note consider weird squad sizes like 5-7 marines, or having a unit of cultists. In very small games you don't always need ten dudes.
>>
File: Untitled.png (3 MB, 2000x1098) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
3 MB, 2000x1098
Just finished this guy. He's supposed to be charging out of the warp. (Something I wish my army could actually do in the game...)
>>
>>47968940
>not modeling him covered in blood and standing atop a pile of dead sororitas
>>
>>47968959
I'll buy another one and make it "Ward Edition", just for you.
>>
>>47968939
I don't have cultists nor heldrakes, in my defense. The only troops I field are 2 Rubric squads with the occasional ten-man CSM if I need more objective holding oomph. Cultists may be cheap as chips but they are utterly useless in my experience. They're general weakness makes everyone focus fire them (since the rest of my army has a 4++ across the board, I'm thinking they go for the path of least resistance).

Everytime I'm left thinking "That's those points wasted. Again". At this point I'd rather pay a premium and have my units do something than throw 50-100 points into something that die and never do anything. It's just wastage for me.
>>
>>47968925
never mind thought you were saying they all have free will my bad
>>
>>47968977
you can sit them in cover to make them more durable, unless you play on a barren table in which case I feel bad for you

their other role is to support your other troops. If you opponent focuses them on turn 1, then that is a whole turn spent not shooting at things that actually matter

on that principle you can even achieve weird stuff sometimes with deep striking single mutilators
>>
>>47969007
I understand the tactical advantages of having a fire magnet/meatshield, they just don't really manage that very well, hah. My army generally serves me well, but I don't play against WAACfags anyway.
>>
>>47968521
Nid player here: 1000 points actually let me field 114 models, with no heavy supports.
a space marine player i know had to triple check my list to see if I was cheating some of my points in there.
>>
>>47969048
I won't pretend they are durable. Outside of cover they die if anything makes the effort to shoot at them, but something has to make the effort to do so. In a small point game like 500 points, the enemy will most likely not have too many different units or sources of split fire, so committing fire to the cultists is a big waste for them.
>>
>>47969067
>>47969048
500 points Chaos Space Marins

>Sorcerer, MoT - 75 pts
>Thousand Sons - 150 points
>Chaos Rhino, Havoc Launcher, Combi-Bolter, Combi-Flamer - 62 pts
>Cutlists, 8 autoguns, MoT - 68 pts
>Chaos Spawn - 30 pts
>Raptors, 2 flamers, MoT, 115 pts

You will need to use the psychic powers for anti-armor (doombolt and/or breath of chaos will work), or drop some marks of Tzeentch and trade the flamer for melta.
>>
>>47969067
Yeah, fair enough. I should try them in tiny pointscosts. But to be fair, at those points I can field my Rubrucs anyway and he won't usually have the firepower to kill them reliably and I still pack AP3 bolters to shred shit effortlessly.

I will try it, thank you.
>>
I'm almost collecting and painting admech and skitarii
I've played them so much that their getting boring to play
How are Dark Eldar?
They look cool and I want to play something fast this time around since I've been played KDK, Necrons and Admech
>>
>>47969157
as a whole, competitive dark eldar were very reliant on a mechanic that got removed

casually, they are ok. You will struggle against top tier armies.

The formation bonus in the Start Collecting! box is actually pretty cool and good. If you get a box or two of that, and have some specialists in a detachment outside of that I could see it working well enough.
>>
>>47962680

>How do I get into CC with an OP faction that has a braindead formation that allows for turn 2 assaults and overwatch denial?

Just read the codex. Do you really need to ask how to use skyhammer? You put drop pods next to things and then assault them.
>>
>>47969248
How are corsairs?

I want to play Eldar but without cheese
>>
>>47969287
As far as I know, if Eldar are basic cheddar, Corsairs are like... super-exclusive Michelin-star-approved gourmet shit Gordon Ramsay dreams about.
>>
>>47969287
idk about corsairs or harleys

you could check 1d4chan I guess and see what it says
>>
>>47969287
>>47969313
>>47969325
They're Dark Eldar the way Dark Eldar should be-glass cannons, even more so than either of their cousins, but they actually pack a punch without packing a whole sack of D. Everything moves quickly, has a purpose and gets slaughtered messily if you screw up
>>
>>47965583
>since they tend to not bring that much AP2
excuse me
>>
File: smart_trans.jpg (138 KB, 2000x1262) Image search: [Google]
smart_trans.jpg
138 KB, 2000x1262
I love Warhammer 40k, but I don't think trans-people have a good enough representation in it.

What can/should we do to fix this?
>>
>>47969393
Codex: Slaanesh Daemonkin
>>
>>47969398
This
>>
>>47969393
your guard regiment consists of transmen
>>
>>47969398
You've got to be kidding.
Those are the bad guys and they are portrayed as perverted monsters.
>>
>>47968940
Glaze the half of him that's in the warp with a light purple or orange or something to show that he's half in and half out. You can't really see the cutoff between in and out from most angles, so it just looks like a grey knight on a goofy base.
>>
>>47969414
Welcome to 40k.
>>
>>47969414
it's almost like everything is a bald monster in 40k
>>
>>47969393
>but I don't think trans-people have a good enough representation in it.

Kinda difficult to cram your obvious bait into a setting where the focus is "how can you die in literally the most horrible way possible" while incomprehensibly powerful gods of good and evil basically gamble with the fate of entire galaxy on their whims.

If you're not actually shitposting, then the Imperium as an organization literally doesn't care about gender or sexuality. Bear in mind, however, that given the medical nature of transgenderism, it is something the Imperium could likely completely fix to the point where you wouldn't be "trans," just the new sex/gender outright, almost identically to if you were born that way. Point of that to say, if a man wants to become a woman, on most worlds he'd probably just straight-up become a woman with the level of medical tech they have - the process wouldn't be a half-measure like it is today.
>>
Can Berzerker champions take dual lightning claws? The codex says you may replace bolt pistol and/or CCW with one of the following. I assume you can just do it twice.
>>
>>47969474
he can
>>
>>47969414
From one LGBT to another, they're all bad guys and slaanesh daemons are the objectively correct answer.
>>
>>47969474

You can do it twice because it says AND.
>>
File: Bu epik çocuk.png (28 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
Bu epik çocuk.png
28 KB, 240x240
>>47969457
How is the Imperium going to give him female DNA?
>>
>>47969457
most imperial worlds occupy a weird hybrid of mad max and stalinist russia

The people within largely don't have the time to think about things beyond day-to-day survival. And the ones that do, get beaten to death by the arbitrators for their dangerously idle minds. A noble could definitely do whatever they want, but the plebs don't really get to see the benefit of any of the Imperium's wonderful technology.
>>
Anyone ever paint up more troops than they could fit in their army?

I spent forever making 10 extra marines for a total of 30 but I'll only ever have room for 20 in any list.
>>
>>47969414
Well considering that trannies are basically the epitome of 21st century narcissism, obsessed with physical image to the point of mental instability and presuming their first world problems of "being born in the wrong body" to be on par with deeply flawed social problems like abject poverty or 1/6th of the world having to shit in streets, I'd say it's a perfect fit. Note even the author's response to the reasoning of professionals on the subject:

https://genderintransitionspring2013.wordpress.com/2013/02/18/transgender-narcissistic-the-ultimate-social-irony/
>>
>>47969558
Me and my CSM+Rhino. I just don't have the points nor the inclination to add more basic footsoldiers when I can field my bigger or more specialized shit that I customized and prefer the look and feel of.
>>
>>47969393
There aren't many, because almost everyone lives in abject poverty and can't afford body modification.

>>47969524
By replacing his Y chromosome with a copy of his X chromosome?
>>
>>47969558
Sure, I made my own CSM warband so I'm working on painting up the whole warband of dudes which has a couple hundred traitor astartes, even though realistically I'll field 60 maximum in any list, and those are just for fun games. It does allow some variety though since I'm doing several plasma, melta, heavy bolter dudes etc. so that I can add more or less special weapons to my list as desired.
>>
>>47969524
Imperium Space-magic means that they'll probably be able to rewrite his DNA from the ground-up
>>
>>47969593
If the Imperium could pull that off they wouldn't need half the tech they have. Also considering many Imperial citizens barely have any rights I doubt they're gonna just hand out free sexual reassignment to any faggot who asks.

Religion isn't an excuse either since they have no problem making transhuman astartes, augmented abhumans, etc.
>>
>>47969524
>A civilization that can successfully splice dog DNA into the human genome can't change one human with outie bits into a human with innie bits
>>
>>47969615
you're underestimating what it means to completely replace someone's DNA, also

>40k lore
>consistent

pick 0.5, take a few hours to think about how you're wrong and then come back for the other half
>>
I think at least one Primarch should have been trans.
It would make poetic sense given that female primarchs weren't made/couldn't exist.
>>
>>47969558
I bought, painted and converted a Land Raider and I haven't use it for a year straight.

Only now i started using it, having more casual games.

I have plenty of chaos marines and I use them all. I like infantry.
>>
>>47969607
>Religion isn't an excuse either
kind of is, actually

Astartes are only accepted by the ecclesiarchy because they predate the church, and emperor himself made them with his own parts. Also because they kind of kill anyone who tries to mess with them.

there are a few organizations that can also do some funky stuff with the human body (heyo assassins), but most are going to have the church breathing down their necks
>>
>>47969650
in that case trannies would be unlikely in 40k simply for the fact that implying you have the "wrong body" is blasphemous
>>
>>47969634
>what is fulgrim
>>
File: Drill_Abbot.jpg (104 KB, 436x641) Image search: [Google]
Drill_Abbot.jpg
104 KB, 436x641
>>47969658
pretty much

and if you disagree, this guy will kill you and tear out your spine
>>
>tfw you get completely BTFO during a game
i never made it to any objectives
fucking necrons were everywhere
>>
>>47962821
Don't forget to get a box of scourges. They look great and are great for stripping hull points off vehicles with their haywire guns. You'll need them since all your vehicles will be too busy junking and taking objectives to shoot by turn 3.
>>
File: UofW.jpg (358 KB, 1125x1374) Image search: [Google]
UofW.jpg
358 KB, 1125x1374
Part of me actually wants the leftist special snowflake brigade to pounce on 40k and make it an issue

>WHERE'S THE TRANS
>FUCKING WHITE MALES
>RACISTS AND BIGOTS EVERYWHERE
>JUST UGH I CAN'T EVEN DEAL WITH THIS IGNORANCE
>#BERNIEFIX40K
>>
>>47969707
My buddy's girlfriend is one of those people and we just.... can't play 40k with him anymore. She's turned him.
>>
>>47969707
in these times I'm glad GW doesn't give a fuck and just does what they want regardless of the public opinion

doesn't always go right, but I'll take compromising to shareholders over compromising to people who never buy or play the games
>>
>>47969627
>you're underestimating what it means to completely replace someone's DNA
I think you're underestimating what is required to turn an adult human into a 7 foot tall monster.

Protip: it involves ripping out his bones and replacing them all with longer ones.
>>
>>47968521
Depends. 1-1.5k is what I like to play with guys at the flgs. Playing with my boys can get upwards of 15-20k and it's still a blast!
>>
>>47969707
You don't want that, actually.

They are going to win. Look at how they've co-opted comic books and video games.
The comic book industry is basically making business decisions against their own interests by catering to aggrieved SJWs and pissing on their main target audience, but they are still doing it.
>>
>>47969707
buy 2-3 boxes of the Start Collecting! Eldar along with a box of Start Collecting! Tau, an Optimized Stealth Cadre box, and a Riptide or three (whatever that riptide formation requires).

Paint them all rainbow and insist that the eldar identify as Tau, and that they are trans-species.
>>
>>47969760
>They are going to win. Look at how they've co-opted comic books and video games.

Hispanic/Black homosexual Spider-Man, Muslim Ms. Marvel and Asian Hulk piss me off (and I'm Asian). I'm okay with female Thor and the gay Green Lantern.

How would SJWs even try to co-opt 40K? It wouldn't even make any sense.
>>
File: oPYpgSY.jpg (77 KB, 491x797) Image search: [Google]
oPYpgSY.jpg
77 KB, 491x797
>>47969760
Oh no, don't worry. I'm not actually concerned they'll brigade our hobby.
Learning a 200 page rulebook, using logic and strategy in games, and lifting a finger to build/paint anything goes against everything they know.

Video games and comics are low effort because any retard can pick one up and comprehend it. I'm not saying 40k is for the intelligent only, of course- but I am pointing out that there is some degree of effort that must be put in before they can give their ad hominem hate speeches about whatever is triggering them.

At worst, they'll pick on the few paragraphs of fluff they read on that one website and like how totally bigoted, patriarchal, and intolerant the 40k uni is.
>>
>>47969801
there was that one blogger who used a click bait headline for an article that was really about how they thought the Cadian models were really old and crappy and how they liked the aesthetic of the steel legion better.

/tg/ didn't read past the headline, got triggered, and there were threads every day about the article.
>>
>>47969818
The Cadian models ARE shitty.

I wanted to start a blob guard just to drown my Necron friend in bodies but Cadians are so fucking ugly.
>>
>>47969818
The bulk of it was one autist reposting every few hours for whatever reason. I think he caught a few bans doing it.
>>
>>47969829
not going to disagree with you there at all, but that would be telling a lie

I like the scion models a whole lot though, even if many people don't
>>
>>47969846
I like Scions a lot too, and I'm planning to use some to make up for the weaknesses my SM list has.
>>
>>47969830
I saw multiple 40k youtubers make videos about it too, and none of them read past the headline either

it was like everyone took crazy pills or something
>>
>>47969796
>>47969801
>>47969398
Apropos lgbt/trannies and Slaanesh:

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2016/06/on-maturity-40k-and-slaanesh.html

>The outdated ideas about sex and sexuality and they are outdated – that Slaanesh represents are simply not appropriate for the game any more. They’re not appropriate for younger gamers; they’re insulting to women, to trans and intersex people, as well as to any man whose sexuality extends beyond five quick pumps whilst thinking of England.
>The mature response would be to acknowledge this, and avoid the instinct to avoid change.
>>
>>47969846
>even if many people don't
considering their sales numbers, most people like them

wish the book had a couple more units in it, though
>>
>>47969818
/tg/ gets triggered super easy, but the truth is, invading tgs with political bullshit is hard, /pol/acks have been trying for years and the best they did was Vargs shitty rpg which became the laughting stock of the whole communety
>>
>>47965583
>tau
>not much ap2

the most common HQ and elite choices (and troop if running enclaves) all have an abundance of AP2, not overly sure where you are getting your information from
>>
File: No.png (53 KB, 142x148) Image search: [Google]
No.png
53 KB, 142x148
>>47969859
>but as we progress through the second decade of the 21st century, it looks more and more backwards
does bell of lost souls man not know what setting this is, or is he just being subtly ironic with this whole article

>read to the bottom
>first comment
>"This is quite possibly the best and most intellectual article I've read on BoLS"
>>
>>47969895
>bell of lost clickbait
gee i dunno anon
>>
>>47967918
nice flayed one
>>
File: laughing slavs.jpg (58 KB, 491x331) Image search: [Google]
laughing slavs.jpg
58 KB, 491x331
>>47969801
>40k
>Logic and strategy
>>
>>47965073
i have put together something like six vehicles on the chimera chassis and always wondered what the fuck the orange one was for
i thought it was just a decoration bit
>>
File: Dark Eldar archon by Beckjann.jpg (75 KB, 500x917) Image search: [Google]
Dark Eldar archon by Beckjann.jpg
75 KB, 500x917
New Dark Eldar codex when?
What would you guys want in it?

Personally, I'd like to have these changes at least in it:
>Some sort of battle focus style rule that allowed the standard Deldar infantry to be just as fast on foot as the CWE are. Not a straight copy of that rule however. Maybe something that lets them both run and assault on the same turn.
>allow deldar vehicles/jetbikes and their passangers shoot at their full bs after jinking.
>make scourges relentless.
>more haemonculi units.
>bring back all that insane wargear that the dex before the current one had.
>make Power from Pain more interesting than just shit that's based on the current turn.
>>
>>47969414
Yes, and?
Are you implying that your ilk ain't perverted monsters?
>>
>>47965149
>the rulebook used to excuse being a cock with its page 5
please tell me someone knows what it says or have a picture
>>
>>47965202
>>47965223
Oh wow, that's amazing.
>>
File: always bet on duke.jpg (339 KB, 800x4600) Image search: [Google]
always bet on duke.jpg
339 KB, 800x4600
>>47970242
Basically the Corsair rules with more Haemonculus themed units/relics

Also the return of Duke Sliscus
>>
>>47969714
>My buddy's girlfriend is one of those people and we just.... can't play 40k with him anymore. She's turned him.
Care to give an example?
>>
>>47970510
Sure.

My best friend, the guy who got us all into the game, plays Slaaneshi Daemons.

The other guy refuses to play against, and I quote, "Something that is so tasteless and offensive".
>>
File: 1461337923084.jpg (47 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1461337923084.jpg
47 KB, 680x680
>local taufag seems a nice guy, with a fluff army etc
>today he just bought 4 riptides
>>
>>47970561
In many ways thats just sad. I mean cmon I can respect other peoples opinions on most things, but if you let it get in the way of a game of what is basically pretend, something is seriously wrong.
>>
What is the least offensive WK variant? The suncannon one? One of the FW ones?

In a game with MSU out the ass and no other superheavies/pointsink targets, does the sword knight struggle to make its points back?
>>
>>47970568
Maybe he's toolling up for apocalypse?
>>
>>47970568
No matter how nice we are, there lurks in every player's heart the need to utterly crush their foes and break their hearts.
I'm having the same temptation with Wraithknights/scatbikes at the moment. The DoW 3 trailer almost made me get one.
>>
>>47970631
I know this feel.

I purposely play a very weak SM army because I want my Tyranid friend to have a chance (he's actually starting to WIN now, his record went from 1-7 to 4-7 this weekend) but my Necron friend tabling me by the end of turn 3 makes me want to bust out cheese and stomp him into the dirt.
>>
>>47967114
TO = tactical objective
>>
>>47970409
The gutting of all of Deldar special characters was a travesty desu.
>>
>>47970286
Warning: Not suitable for wussies!

Sissies. Little girls. Nancy boys... go home. This game is not for you.

If you cry when you lose, get lost -- you're going to lose. If it hurts your fragile sensibilities to see your favorite character get pounded unmercifully by a rapid succession of no-holds-barred iron fury, you'd better look the other way. If you've ever whined the words, "That's too powerful," then put the book down slowly and walk away before making eye contact with anyone or they'll realize your voice hasn't changed yet.

This game is about aggression. This is the game of metal-on-metal combat. This is fuel-injected power hopped up on steroids. This is WARMACHINE -- the battles game that kicks so much ass we have to use all capital letters.

We didn't set out to reinvent the wheel with this game -- we just armor plated it, covered it in spikes, and rolled it over your grandma's house.

WARMACHINE is simple. It's easy to learn, has no reference charts, no heavy arithmetic, and doesn't require constant trips to the rulebook. At the same time, WARMACHINE possesses deep strategy. The ability to unlock combinations of abilities and spells and maneuvers is practically limitless. For every perfect strategy, there is a foil. For every immovable object, there is an unstoppable force. Just when you think you've got it all worked out, you'll be blindsided by something you never saw before. The more you dig, the more you'll find.

WARMACHINE favors the aggressor. You've got to throw the first punch if you want to land on top! Too many games set players up to be timid. Games drag out with little action because the game favors defensive strategies. Players park their soldiers behind walls like old ladies hiding from a loud noise.
1/2
>>
>>47970851

Not in WARMACHINE! If you want your opponent to come to you, you're going to get steamrolled. You've got to have balls to play this game! You've got to charge your opponent and hang it all out there! You've got to break his formations. You've got to be relentless with your onslaught. You have to go for the jugular and latch on like a rabid dog that hasn't eaten in days. Anything less and you'll be hamburger.

You're playing with power now. Don't be afraid! Few things are more satisfying than slamming your opponent's warjack into a unit of soldiers and watching them fall like bowling pins! (We call this jack bowling.) Try picking up an enemy warcaster (with a warjack, of course) and throwing it across the battlefield! It's almost more fun than you should be allowed to have with miniatures game.

The miniatures of WARMACHINE deliver on every level that the game does. These warjacks radiate power! We're pouring so much metal into these things that at our current rate, we'll deplete the world of pewter by 2006. And these things were made for modeling. The incredible detail and expert sculpting will create one of the most enjoyable painting experiences you've ever had.

This is a new era in tabletop miniatures wargaming. This is a game made for you, by people like you. It's not a load of sterilized mass market drek designed by a room of corporate meatplow. This is raw. This is brutal. This is WARMACHINE.

So play like you've got a pair, or put down the metal and go find something made of plastic.

2/2

So much cringe
>>
>>47970862
>how to breed superiority into autistic men playing with toys:the intro
Man, that sums up what little i know of warmachine players perfectly. I'm sure there are those out there who are less assholish, but i have not met them
>>
>>47970242
>keeping full BS after jinking
I think they should still have a negative to jinking. Maybe -1BS for vehicle and units inside. Deldar have good BS to begin with so it's not that bad plus with splinter racks it wouldn't hurt raiders that much.
Definitely need something to help them not snap fire after jinking though, it's pretty much killed them.
>>
>>47963846
>What's a good amount of units of troops to take if they're decent/good?
2. The only time the answer is not two is a: you need more for a formation requirement or b: the unit is absurdly busted as in Scatbikes.
>>
>>47970914
It's not like DE were high-tier before the FAQ. Full BS after jinking would be fine.
>>
>>47962680
Not exactly what you asked for but I still thought I'd share. I like to take an allied detachment of guardsmen mixed in with my space marines. Give the guardsmen a lord commissar and a 50 man blob of regular guardsmen, and some priests for a monstrous melee unit. I like to have terminators in a land raider and have a leman russ tank escort it right up to the enemy's face.

The most important part of the plan is to have everything get in melee range at the same time and have the guardsmen platoon charge first.The sheer number of models should take the majority of the Tau's overwatch fire, making the charge for your assault marines and terminators that much easier. As always the guardsmen will die in droves to ensure the space marines glorious victory.
>>
Rending is such a pain in the dick.
>>
>>47969457
>the spoiler

That's assuming you aren't a serf/peasant. If you are a serf or peasant your life is s̶l̶a̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ GLORIOUS LABOR FOR THE EMPEROR, and thus you won't exactly have access to the best that the imperium has available.
>>
>>47970934
Probably, I'm not going to pretend I know anything about competitive play. It still seems wrong to have an army jink ole very single turn and suffer no negative to it.
I'd like to see Deldar be able to mess with night fighting more, like bringing back the old rules for it (rolling for shooting distance). It would be very good and fluffy for them to have a complete advantage at night.
>>
>>47970568
>today he just bought 4 riptides
Sound fluffy to me
>>
>>47970996
The main problem is that the meme of DE transports being paper boats is very real. They need to jink just to survive, and the tradeoff for that is supposedly being fast as fuck.

Except they still can't move more than 6" or use their speed to live if they want to contribute anything to the battle. Synergy with Night Fighting was very nice, but right now they have nothing, not even the one thing that made mechDE at all viable.
>>
>>47970851
>>47970862
I can feel the insecure manchild radiating at my eyeballs. Thanks for posting.
>his is a game made for you, by people like you. It's not a load of sterilized mass market drek designed by a room of corporate meatplow.
Was this a jab at GW?
>>
>>47968875

Cultist blob clashing with a Boy blob is a hilarious sight. Extra fun if both are close to full starting numbers, Helcult or Dark Apostle formation bring pain in too.
>>
What do grenade launchers need to avoid being outclassed by other special weapons?
>>
>>47970917
Guardians and dire avengers are pretty neat
So basically all eldar troops
>>
File: baymax bots.jpg (96 KB, 600x620) Image search: [Google]
baymax bots.jpg
96 KB, 600x620
It's tempting to build just a 1k list for cult mech. something really shot heavy with good armor saves to off set my chaos daemons no saves and lack of shooting. also these baymax bots are cute if expensive, you get a box of 2 with smith for the price of a keeper of secrets

>>47971096
more grenade types
>>
File: 20160626_101530.jpg (236 KB, 1769x995) Image search: [Google]
20160626_101530.jpg
236 KB, 1769x995
>>47964444
Nope, sorry. I hope you haven't glued that together, but the Basilisk uses a slanted rear plate with no hinges on it. In turn, you attach a pair of support struts between that and the gun deck.

Pic related; the struts have been shaved down slightly because the assembly is magnetized in my case and I wanted it to slide easily on and off.

To be fair, you might not have the right version of the Basilisk kit. There's at least 3, to my knowledge, and they're not all the same.
>>
>>47971096
They should do more things.
Each grenade launcher can do one thing per turn.
HE grenade: blast str4 ap5

Smoke Grenade:large blast- may target friendly unit, any model under the template gains a 4+coversave until the controling players next turn.

Flare: blast-Gives all models in a 18" radius lose cover from night fighting and any deep striking unit may strike directly around the small blast template without scatter.
>>
File: 1431181558352.png (794 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
1431181558352.png
794 KB, 700x900
>>47971112
>>
>>47971155
>those eyes
Holy fuck, if someone in my FLGS actually did that...
>>
>>47971162
He is from /tg/ then. Chika yes!
>>
>>47971150
Okay ideas, far too powerful. 6+ cover if in the open for smoke, flare should be a 6" radius and not effect deep strike, since equipment to do that is 10-25 points on it's own.
>>
I'm thinking of starting up on 40k.
I'm currently really interested in the Harlequins, any suggestions on what to buy?
Motivation is that the Solitaire looks awesome.
>>
File: 1361155683740.jpg (122 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1361155683740.jpg
122 KB, 960x640
I've not played since 5th edition. I wanted to get back into 40k with a Skitarii or Necron Army.
Are they any good for a former IG player?
>>
>>47971253
They're pretty good. Highly mobile, monstrous in assault, and army-wide access to Fear, invulnerable saves, AP2 weapons, and almost-army-wide access to Furious Charge and Hit-n-Run.

However, they have NO long-range firepower (longest-ranged gun is 24") and they have NO AAA worth speaking of. In addition they have some wierd FOC limitations regarding heavy support and some of their troop transports are rubbish as transports.

You could certainly do worse.
>>
I keep getting ripped to shreds by my Necron friend's warriors.

He seems to get a lot of those stupid instant wounds.
>>
>>47971299
As a guard player, and a 5th edition one, you're going to feel off-balance with either.

Skitarii have no transports or flyers of any kind, and they lack overall variety, though what they DO have is pretty good. It would be like an army of footslogging stormtroopers.

Necrons have no orders or command structure, but their units are tough as nails, and big blobs of necron warriors is a strong counter to pretty much everything at range due to their Gauss rule. It would be like an army of Stormtroopers with MEQ toughness who are even TOUGHER because you get a FnP-style save that you ALWAYS get unless there's D weapons or remove-from-play effects on the field.
>>
>>47971348
That Gauss rule drives me insane, man.
>>
File: EShake4[1].jpg (44 KB, 800x680) Image search: [Google]
EShake4[1].jpg
44 KB, 800x680
>>47971345
>>47971363

Gauss+RP is an exceedingly tough nut to crack. To my knowledge as a Guard player, the only real way around it is to have more wounds to lose than he has guns to strip them.

So short-ranged vehicles are out. The second anything without a save and a big pile of HP to lose gets within two feet of his army it's going to start feeling a LOT of pain.

So bring blobs. Giant, angry blobs of dudes that eat 10 wounds like it was nothing.

Also, Ordnance. Big, heavy guns with S8 and better, to power through Reanimation Protocols. RP gets a -1 penalty if the targeted unit would suffer Instant Death on a fail, and most 'crons are T4, so you'll need stuff that's at Battle Cannon strength and better. Necron warriors start at a 4+ save and go from there (immortals get a 3+ and some of his support units get really good cover saves, so be wary), so good-to-great AP is important too.

I dunno if you're guard, but if you are, artillery is the way to go. Bring lots, and lots, and LOTS, of big guns and big blobs. Go Verdun on his ass. Swamp the board, and win him out on objectives, because you will NEVER table a Necron player who plays even remotely well.
>>
>>47971400
I'd love to do a blob guard.

Are any of the formations that are for infantry worth running? Or should I stick to CAD?
>>
>>47971416
19/20 IG formations are just bad. Stick to cad and maybe allie yourself marines/sisters of battle so you can get a nice IC to lead your blobs.
>>
>>47971469
Cool, I already have 1000 points of Marines, I could ally in some of them.
>>
>>47971416
>>47971469
Most of the formations that are out are vehicle-based. They're not BAD, per se, but they're mostly pretty lousy against necrons because lol gauss. For dealing with necrons, the Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company is your man; twin-linked, cover-ignoring Manticore missiles will eat necrons for breakfast, and twin-linked, cover-ignoring Basilisks aren't bad either. you also get a wyvern without using up a valuable HS slot.

With regards to blobs, though, the SMALLEST you can use is the Emperor's Shield Infantry Platoon. That's a 50-man blob and it's PCS, no chimeras/tauroxes allowed, Supported by at least one Sentinel. The Sentinel gives the Platoon Move Through Cover as long as he's within 9", and the PCS can issue 'Fire and Advance!', a special order that allows the ordered unit to shoot while counting as stationary (which, if applied to a Heavy Weapons Squad, makes them effectively Relentless).

It's...not that much better than a normal platoon (Move Through Cover is nice, but your men will be shooting it out from cover most of the time anyway), and you WILL want to take a CAD anyway to gain access to Senior Officer orders and Regimental Specialists, like the Ministorum Priest.

The other one worth looking at in terms of blobbage is the Ogryn Auxilia. 1 Commissar leading 4 squads of ogryns (2 basic, 2 bullgryns). They're fearless as long as they're within 12" of the commissar and if two units from the formation charge the same unit, the second one inflicts Hammer of Wrath at S7. Of course, Ogryns are still overcosted and slow, but it's a thought.
>>
File: 1454618578581.jpg (43 KB, 259x270) Image search: [Google]
1454618578581.jpg
43 KB, 259x270
So i am an Admech player but i have a gigantic boner for Artillery,because of that im thinking of gettin IG(earth shaker cannon,Bassilisk etc.), is there any viable way to use Admech and IG btw Admech is my first army, and i dont know that much.
>>
File: lewd kastellan 7.png (644 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
lewd kastellan 7.png
644 KB, 700x900
>>47971155
>>
>>47971513
>>47971490
>the Emperor's Wrath Artillery Company is your man; twin-linked, cover-ignoring Manticore missiles will eat necrons for breakfast, and twin-linked, cover-ignoring Basilisks aren't bad either. you also get a wyvern without using up a valuable HS slot.

Enjoy. You'll need a Manticore, at least 2 artillery vehicles (wyvern/hydra/basilisk, the recommended loadout is at least one wyvern and at least one basilisk) and a CCS + chimera. It's enough arty to turn anything within twenty feet into a parking lot.
>>
>>47971317
Just hypothetically what would be some worse picks?
I took them because they looked kinda cool.
I have some friends playing aswell,
I they are playing Necron, Tau, Skitari, CSM, GK, KDK, DE, Orks, Eldar and Corsairs.
>>
>>47971400
I'm the first one you quoted, and I play SM.

I got absolutely torn apart by his big ass blobs of Gauss shots. It was pain. I need to invest in some artillery.
>>
>>47971550

Worse stuff than Harlequins?

SoB, DEldar (with the recent grenade nerf), Nids (arguable, but there's pretty much only ONE viable nid army and that's no fun fora modeler), and a few others.

There's tier lists floating around, but that really only covers tourney-level play. You don't want to try and win all the time no matter what; 40k simply isn't that well balanced and the game falls apart if you try that hard. Go for what you like, and play to have fun. Make sure your opponent is also down for said casual play, otherwise there is trouble.
>>
>>47971566
>SM
Eww, you've got your work cut out for you. I'd probably go battle demi-company so the transports you'll lose on turn 2 are free, then ally in a Guard Emperor's Wrath formation to pound him into paste from a safe corner of the board.
>>
>>47971546
So can i played just like that i dont remeber the exact rules but cant i take that formation as an allied detachment?,another thing what is a css?
Oh and thank you this sounds great
>>
>>47971583
Hmm, I could do that.

I think I need to re-kit my Devastators though, the heavy bolters work GREAT against most of my opponents but not Necrons.

I'll need to get my vehicles into position to cap objectives while the arty bombs his fucking warriors into nothingness.
>>
>>47971513
Soon you will have your own artillery.
>>
>>47971529
>>47971155
Why aren't these transfers a reality?
>>
File: gallery_23369_1806_92051[1].jpg (153 KB, 1000x1200) Image search: [Google]
gallery_23369_1806_92051[1].jpg
153 KB, 1000x1200
>>47971618
Formations do not have to be the same faction as your CAD's or Allied detachments. Pic related, ignoring the stuff on the bottom.

>>47971622
HB's are AP4, which is actually breddy gud vs necron warriors. The trouble is that they only wound on 3's and don't ignore cover, so your opponent will ignore 1/3rd of your hits to begin with, then ANOTHER fraction of the remainder if he found a cover save (he probably did), then ANOTHER 1/3rd (going to 1/2 in a Decurion detachment) from reanimation protocols.

The thing that makes crons mean is the fact that RP stacks with any other saves, so crons get two saves instead of one. Even if you hit them with S8 AP3 ignores cover attacks, they still get a 6+ (5+ in Decurion).
>>
>>47971513

Play Ordo Reductor in 30k.

Literally a Mechanicum faction based around artillery.
>>
>>47971667
I'm definitely gonna need some artillery then.

Getting that formation will give me an excuse to eventually become a Guard player anyways.
>>
>>47971691
Welcome aboard, trooper. I myself play Guard, and only guard; no other army has, nor likely ever will, interested me.

I only recently acquired my first basilisk; haven't painted it yet, but my first action with it was using an Emperor's Wrath formation and it beat ass like it was on shore leave. I think at one point I killed 80% of a Devastator squad in Techmarine-enhanced Ruins with one shot.
>>
File: 1337348729832.jpg (183 KB, 1024x700) Image search: [Google]
1337348729832.jpg
183 KB, 1024x700
Never played with Necrons before. I want to use most of what the start collecting box contains.

HQ
Overlord x1. Warscythe, resurrection orb. 125pts

Elites
Lychguard x5. Hyperphase swords and dispersion shields. 150pts
Triach Stalker x1. Heavy Gauss Cannon. 135pts

Troops
Warriors x10. 130pts
Warriors x10. 130pts

Fast Attack
Night Scyte x1. 130pts

Heavy Support
Canoptek Spyder x1. 50pts

Total 850 pts
>>
File: lewd kastellan3.png (644 KB, 700x900) Image search: [Google]
lewd kastellan3.png
644 KB, 700x900
>>47971660
What's stopping you from making them into a reality?
>>
>>47971737
My dream was to create an army of a bunch of Imperial forces to satisfy my Imperium boner.

But now, looking at a lot of what Guard can do, I'm thinking I might just shelve my Marines and focus on Guard and Scions.
>>
>>47970568
That's probably (depending on the local meta) an impractical number of riptides. Maybe he really wants a horde of giant mechs?
>>
>>47970986
You also won't have time to worry about being born in the wrong body or whatever the term is, so there's that.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.