[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fantasy Cold War Setting Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: Russian-war-exercise.jpg (122 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
Russian-war-exercise.jpg
122 KB, 800x533
Sup /tg/, I have this idea of a setting that's basically Red Storm Rising in generic fantasy setting. I was having some trouble coming up with equipment to roughly correspond to Cold War military hardware

Here's some of what I've come up with, and I was hoping that you could help me flesh it out more.

Tanks=War Golems
Modern Small Arms=Muskets
Artillery=Magic-enhanced siege engines
Submarines=Trained sea monsters
Anti-ship missiles=bound demons released from their servitude when they kamikaze enemy ships

Thoughts?
>>
What do you need equivalents for?
>>
>>47959650
I think the naval side more or less works out

SAMs = magic ballista
AShMs = see above
Submarines = see above

However, I'm not really satisfied with the ground side of things. I don't consider small arms super important, but things like tanks and artillery are. I just think there should be a tactical paradigm focusing on fairly dispersed forces and grand maneuver.

tl;dr - I need help working out the ground combat side
>>
Tanks could be any sort of war elephant-esque creature not just golumns.

The problem with your whole idea here is that muskets are not employed like modern small arms and require blocks of men in formations squaring off against one another at relatively close range. Then finishing the job with bayonets.
>>
>>47959865
>requires line infantry

Napoleonic skirmishers disagree with you. There just needs to be something that makes massed line infantry a bad idea for whatever reason. Like more sophisticated artillery.

>finish with bayonets

The rarity of bayonet casualties in Napoleonic warfare says otherwise about how often they were actually used.
>>
>>47959922

Napoleonic skirmishers were never decisively deployed in battle screen lines and harassing fire against BLOCKS of troops. Flintlock rifles are still not accurate till the introduction of minie balls.
>>
>>47960506
Thomas Plunket would like a word with you.
>>
>>47960506
Regardless, I think that small arms are the least important part of a pseudo-Cold War environment
>>
File: t2000.jpg (88 KB, 480x627) Image search: [Google]
t2000.jpg
88 KB, 480x627
What are you going to use for Tactical Nuclear Weapons when one side inevitably starts losing?

It will be just like Twilight 2000 with knifeears.
>>
Full magitek

You have assault rifles, but they're pew-pew blasters that use wands as magazines

Tanks use magic to turn their wheels and have big magic cannons as their main armament.
>>
File: REDSTAR.jpg (70 KB, 800x601) Image search: [Google]
REDSTAR.jpg
70 KB, 800x601
Have a look at Red Star for inspiration mate.
>>
File: The-Red-Star-Vol-4.jpg (174 KB, 1140x1500) Image search: [Google]
The-Red-Star-Vol-4.jpg
174 KB, 1140x1500
>>47963082
>>
>>47963082
What is Red Star?
>>
>>47959337

Simulate the tech. growth of your various nations over a session or so in a manner similar to civ; what does "X" nation need to build a particular object, why do they need it, and where can they get it from? What can they make with their existing resources? Is this something mass-producible, or are they one of a kind artisan artifacts?

That way, you'll establish a logical logistics base, trade routes, contested areas for important materials (or sensitive artifacts in the latter case), and other such things that not only build the world but help to drive the conflict!

For extra points, you can simulate a few years ahead of where you want the setting to begin, giving you a good prediction of what prototype cutting-edge stuff your PCs will run into; magitek tanks with the recognizable turret/hull/track configuration, dreadnought battleships (or if you're still using SoTL and other wooden vessels, plain up ironclads), mass-produced wands, ect.

>>47959744

Ask yourself this; why bother with a ballista when an oversized wand of magic missile does the same thing, better? You can have a bunch of "broomsticks" not unlike the mock-guns found on dummy tanks in the real world, but unlike said mock guns, they're fully functional extra-large wands of fire/frost/lighting/some other nasty element! These megawands would be the principal form of artillery for those nations that could afford to make them.
>>
>>47959337
>Fantasy
>Cold War
Please kill yourself. Maybe you also forgot to add it's also a zombie post-apo setting?

Seriously, either go play fantasy or Cold War setting. Mixing it is pure cringe.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.