[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a good example of a base building RPG? Pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 3-001.jpg (70 KB, 568x432) Image search: [Google]
3-001.jpg
70 KB, 568x432
Is there a good example of a base building RPG?
Pic related, run around collecting crew and doing things.
Part of my problem is I'm running it for a store, so can't guarantee the same people show up every week, and still want it to be accessible. In a world where Exalted 3e doesn't have 100 starting decisions, I'd use that but tone it down. Exalted does not make for a good drop in/out game though. Neither does Ars Magicka, which has similar things going on. So something like B/X or 5e as far as simplicity. I'm looking for ways to build stuff, and things that would require the party to build stuff. I want them to get excited about finding reagents and other things.

Also: any kind of campaign material suggestions to take a look at appreciated.
>>
I'd also be interested in something like this. My friends enjoy tribe building type games but we've never had a system really, we just go kind of free form with some dice rolls to keep things interesting.
>>
>>47957534

Blades in the Dark has some of that, with acquiring and improving your gang's territory and holdings.

I can't think of any others at the moment, though. It seems like an underserved market.
>>
File: dorito.png (739 KB, 697x697) Image search: [Google]
dorito.png
739 KB, 697x697
>>47957534
>So something like B/X or 5e as far as simplicity.
>I'm looking for ways to build stuff, and things that would require the party to build stuff.

> B/X
There's your answer!
Every edition of TSR has base building as a class feature at 9th level. Except Magic-Users, they get it at 11th level.
>>
>>47958610
Having played in a p.straight B/X campaign that had been running for 4 years, and had only 2 people hit name level, I'm slightly concerned about the amount of time it would take to get there :p
>>
>>47957534
Justice League of Avalon
Spruce Waine (wain means wagon) elf merchant of Waine Ventures
"Superman", rescued human baby given the celestial template (et al.) as part of a "human" sacrifice
>>
>>47957534

Adventurer Conqueror King (ACKS) anon.

Checks all your boxes. Shits all in the OSR trove.
>>
>>47959952
I've actually skimmed this, I'll give it a deeper look. Thanks!
>>
>>47957534
whats the game in the pic?
>>
>>47960521
Skies of Arcadia. Get/emulate Legends for the GCN, has more stuff, better load times, fewer random battles (though the original's didn't bother me)
>>
File: Meikyuu_Kingdom.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Meikyuu_Kingdom.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47957534
Meikyuu Kingdom is a JTRPG where the players delve into dungeons and use the loot and money to build their kingdom, one of the players (or the GM) being King. I haven't played it yet though, and it probably isn't too good for drop in/out.
>>
>>47963908
It's terrible for drop in/out, because every PC is assigned a role in running the kingdom, including voting on spending resources.

There's also Grancrest, which is basically a grittier Meikyuu Kingdom. Which also doesn't handle rotating PC rosters well.

In my experience, any game that's good at kingdom building is terrible for inconsistent groups.
>>
>>47963981
Yeah the closest I can think of is having a city as base and then you build stuff in it with money from adventuring, like funding a potion shop to make that available, starting an adventurer's guild for hirelings, various establishments to train during downtime etc. There's also the "Fortresses, Temples and Strongholds" homebrew for 5e for more private places.

Can't really think of any systems that support essentially finding pieces of it out in the wild and then coming back and constructing it, could do it Dark Cloud-style where buildings and stuff is scattered but that doesn't seem to be the desired feel.
>>
>>47964075
I was unaware of the 5e homebrew having anything like this. Thank you.

>>47963981
Yeah, rotating groups is killing the dream.
>>
>>47964161
You could manage to democracy elements as play-by-post between sessions, then do the rest of the adventuring and kingdom building during sessions?
>>
>>47965419
Imagine the laziest possible people. Now imagine that is your playgroup. I tried to do this. They all spend most of their free time online. I could not get them to check a forum on a regular basis.
>>
>>47966326 Email group?
Texting-app-group-thing?
>>
>>47957534
>So something like B/X
Adventurer Conqueror King System (B/X clone)
An Echo Resounding (for a B/X clone)
Dark Dungeons (BECMI clone)

ACKS is very nitty gritty building a detailed domain building system bottom up from the ground and very tied to its B/X origins.

AES is more top down abstract, so should be more easily ported to other D&D systems.

DD has the BECMI domain system as core.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.