[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ctrl+f MTG standard >0 results found I know /tg/ ain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13
File: declarationinstone[1].jpg (42 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
declarationinstone[1].jpg
42 KB, 265x370
>ctrl+f MTG standard
>0 results found

I know /tg/ ain't a fan of standard, but standard thread?

Took this deck for a spin again last night. Came second, only lost 1 match with it, the rest were pretty decisive wins.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-06-16-QCN-mono-white-humans/

From what I've heard from all the top players (got placed in pod 1, neato) of my meta, this deck is basically meta. One dude said it was an interesting take on the human meta, which I thought was pretty neat praise.

>tfw you get involved in the MTG community and actually look forward to going outside of your house and meeting people
>tfw people praise you for climbing from last place average to 2nd place average

What you building/brewing/playtesting, /tg/?
>>
>>47954562

>Arashin Foremost
>The new Odric
>Topan Freeblade
>green lands for no reason

This isn't a good meta deck.
>>
Displacer Shenanigans is my go to standard deck. Really fucking fun to play
>>
>>47954562
>I know /tg/ ain't a fan of standard
/tg/, taken as a board, isn't a fan of any format at all. For any format you care to name, a majority of the board thinks it's shit for one reason or another.
>>
>>47954757
>hating on the foremost
>hating on odric
>hating on the freeblade

It's like you hate fun, anon.

Oh and ignore the green dual lands, haven't swapped them out yet for plains. At one stage the deck ran 2 Sigardas.
>>
>>47954826
>implying all formats aren't garbage
>implying kitchen table isn't the best format
>>
>>47954896
>format that requires real life friends
>good
>>
>>47954865

Well, kinda. I'm one of the "no fun allowed guys" (yet I have 2 standard decks, one fully powered one and one nerfed one. My fnm deck of choice depends from the other players. If timmies > spikes -> play the nerfed one, If timmies < spikes -> play fully powered one)

Arashin is an interesting card but not for the deck like this one. You have no other warriors so her synergy is just wasted.

The new Odric is plainly bad. It's a trap card. Not to mention 4 mana investment (and that's a lot for WW deck) that only nets you 2/2 that does nothing upon his arrival.

Topan freeblade seems to be an interesting 2 drop... Yet in your deck it's completely redundant. You get vigilance from "always watching" thus most of the time you will be paying 2 mana for a vanilla 2/2 creature.

I just don't understand why don't you run:

1. Town gossipmonger - one of the best possible 1 drops, especially considering you can turn him T2 into 2/3 +firebreathing
2. Consul lieutenant - it's like topanfreeblade, but actually worth running.
3. Gryff Bon - I don't really understand why won't you run even 1x of it. It's good. Like really good.
4. Dragon hunter is worth to be a mainboard card, just to increase consistency of your deck.

Aaaaand just to mention - your deck folds to languish and it doesn't have to.
>>
>>47954932
NORMIES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>buying 500$ deck to play with strangers
>good format
>buying magic without any friends that play at all
>good

Found the scrub
>>
>>47954980

3 drop 2/2 double strike has been the standard cost for that card type since the inception of double strike. It's a solid card that gets bigger and can hit pretty hard. I have to admit, I don't see a lot of top tier "pro tour" styled standard decks at my FNM, so that's why she does a lot of work, but she DOES do a lot of work, especially on an Odric turn.

Always had a use for him in this current standard. Whether it be giving my whole board flying or double strike, I've gotten solid work out of the card. Will probably drop him now though, because he IS slowing the deck down.

It's a solid 2 drop on it's own. Generally gets its renown trigger off pretty easily by turn 3. Vigilance is redundant in a deck with 4x always watching, but it's taken because it's a solid 2 drop.

>1. Town gossipmonger - one of the best possible 1 drops, especially considering you can turn him T2 into 2/3 +firebreathing
Yeah I've been looking into him aand he seems quite reasonable. I guess he just skipped my mind. Will be looking for a playset through my cards boxes atm.
>2. Consul lieutenant - it's like topanfreeblade, but actually worth running.
Came into MTG when SOI was just about to be released. Don't have access to a lot of the older cards, but I'll be looking for a playset of her too
>3. Gryff's Boon - I don't really understand why won't you run even 1x of it. It's good. Like really good.
Yeah I got shat on in OGW and BFZ because I thought enchants were good. Looking into the lack of flying/reach now though, it seems solid, especially with recyclability.
>4. Dragon hunter is worth to be a mainboard card, just to increase consistency of your deck.
Probably, but this deck isn't 100% aggro. It is more of a combo/engine sort of deck, playing creatures, generating counters, swinging for face and getting keywords to do some heavy lifting.

Dragon hunter is for matchups where I know I need the aggro, like Ramp/Dragonlord decks.

Suggestions on play around languish?
>>
Couple of newbie questions, I'm rather new to magic, only watched a bunch of deck building tutorials, rules etc, played duels 2014, and played a couple game at the dinner table with family out of decks I made from a deckbuilders tookit (probably not the best buy).

I think I've gathered that limited format at lgs is a fair way to build a collection. Is it worth going to booster drafts(In aus if that matters)? If not, how else could I go about it, I don't have a clear idea on what to build, so I'm scared of buying singles. I heard booster packs are a no-no.

By the way standard construction at lgs scares me, I don't know if it should.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.
>>
>>47955116
Boosters are neat if you just wanna assemble a whole bunch of cards. Great for LGS trading too because sometimes you rip a great card that's well costed but you don't want to play, so you can trade it for a card/cards you will play. For building an actual deck, they're garbage.

Play a few nights of draft. It's fun, it's a looser format where everybody (at least at my LGS) takes the piss out of everything and you get a few choice cards by the end of the night.

After that, look into the theme of what you want to play, look up some cards and some decks built around those cards, and go nuts.

Basically you really only should be careful with buying rares in singles. Everything else is cheap enough that if you fuck up and get a bunch of cards that don't run like you thought, you only really wasted the price of a booster anyway.
>>
>>47955159
Ah, thank you.

Where's the typical place to buy singles? Online, ebay, local store (if they have any)?

Also, intropacks/duel decks a no-no?
>>
>>47955159
Oh yeah, forgot to ask, how many sleeves should I have if at all? And would I need to bring it to drafts?
>>
File: 017.jpg (20 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
017.jpg
20 KB, 200x285
>>47955081

>Yeah I got shat on in OGW and BFZ because I thought enchants were good. Looking into the lack of flying/reach now though, it seems solid, especially with recyclability.

Recyclability is what makes this card really good. you can't really get 2-for-one here as Gryff bon can be returned from a graveyard.

>Probably, but this deck isn't 100% aggro. It is more of a combo/engine sort of deck

Then what are combo/engine cards?

If you want to splash green, then you get an engine card like Tireless tracker.

If you want to grind your opponents down (and you're against a slow matchup) then you get cards like Hannaweir militia captain.

This deck can't be a combo, as it isn't how combo words in mtg (for reference look at modern living end/old twin/legacy manaless dredge).

Pic related lets you live the other day after getting languished.
>>
>>47955429
The combo is getting the keyword effect off on Odric, giving everything (provided things go well) flying, double strike and vigilance. I know that's not combo as MTG sees it, but it's a way I combo the deck together.

Anafenza is a pretty good engine card for this deck, but even then I can concede she's better with more 1 drops.

I don't know, it just seems like where I've gotten this deck to is a pretty high point. Will have to playtest around some more 1 drops.

>eerie interlude
>having 3 mana untapped
I get languished almost any time, and I will almost never have the 3 mana untapped in this deck for eerie to be played. Sounds counter intuitive when you realize I play kytheon as well, but I don't generally need his indestructible pump for him to work.
>>
>>47955530

>The combo is getting the keyword effect off on Odric, giving everything (provided things go well) flying, double strike and vigilance.

It's a synergy. Just like fetching Sylvan Advocate by Bellower.

>
Anafenza is a pretty good engine card for this deck, but even then I can concede she's better with more 1 drops.

Anafenza doesn't convert one resource into another that's why she isn't an engine. She CAN BE a combo piece in som modern deck (anafenza company) but she isn't an engine by herself.

And yeah, she gets better with one drops.

>I get languished almost any time, and I will almost never have the 3 mana untapped in this deck for eerie to be played.

It's part of the skill. If you're against W/B control/G/B/x deck (tho they might be reluctant to languish if they have advocate/tracker out)/mono blue control then you don't want to go way to broad (it's called "overcommitment"), eventually you keep 3 mana in case of getting Languished. If your opponent won't languish you T4 just crack a clue during his end step (also keep in mind Eerie interlude procs Anafenza/Thalia's).

>Sounds counter intuitive when you realize I play kytheon as well

If you turn Kytheon T3 he won't languish you T4 unless he wants to eat 4-5 damage for free the next turn.
>>
>>47954562
>>47954865

I actually run a very similar deck.

Have gone 3-0, 2-1, 2-1 at FNM this month

www.tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-05-16-balls/
>>
>>47955429
FFFFFUUUUUCCCCKKKKKKK THANK YOU BASED ANON. Have play set, card for whatever reason just didn't make sense to me. I run a similar deck to OP (see>>47956022). Languish is the only thing I really have any difficulty with, have been successful in reestablishing board control thanks to clues and the Odric/Dragonslayer synergy.
>>
>>47954562
This is the deck I've been running in standard and could use some tips to make it better. It starts extremely strong and fast, but teeters off at midgame if they can weather the storm.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gr-wolfies/
>>
So I'm still kinda new to magic. My buddy has been using a control deck with no creatures in it, only cards that keep me from doing anything, how do I counter that?
>>
>>47954562
Put the proper thread subject, please. Some people have filters and highlights for MtG. Thank you.
>>
>>47954980
Gryff's boon is only good because a lot of decks cant handle fliers and its good at pressuring planeswalkers. Otherwise I agree, just wanted to be a smartass.
>>
>>47958335
Try to be faster than him, play more things than he can deal with
>>
>>47954562
I've been running BU eldrazi tribal ingest process tempo deck. It's themed around and uses Ulamog. I'm having a blast with it.

I'm looking forward to making a tribal Eldrazi deck around Emmy and her brood. Idk if I'll make a kozilek deck as well, his brood's mechanics are really boring imo.

My local meta is mostly bant control atm. I hate reflector mage.
>>
>>47954793
>Displacer Shenanigans
Link/list? I've been looking for something fun to play and I love stupid blink tricks.
>>
>>47955313
TCGPlayer is the usual since pretty much every card shop in the country (and a ton of nerds with too many cards taking up closet space) has a virtual storefront there.
>>
This might not be strictly standard as I'm fairly new to the game but thoughts on my current deck would be appreciated:

10 swamp
10 Island

4 Diregraf captain
2 Siren of the silent song
4 Undead Alchemist
4 Returned Centaur
4 Geralf's Mindcrusher
2 Jace, Memory Adept

4 Rooftop Storm
4 Altar of the Brood
4 Mind Sculpt
4 Increasing Confusion
2 Sphinx's Tutelage
2 Curse of the Bloody Tome

Have won a few games with the Altar + Alchemist combo triggering an insane mill/token loop

Curse and Tutelage are there to piss on opponents and hopefully keep them on the backfoot
>>
>>47960416
Post your deck to tappedout or similar sites and post that link. Nobody wants to look up every other card in a post.

Not enough pieces of this deck are in standard, and mill never gets enough resources to really shine in this format anyway. Just make it modern/kitchen table.
Things look a bit too costly. There should be more 1-2 drops.
>Curse and Tutelage are there to piss on opponents and hopefully keep them on the backfoot
The absolute best they do is tilt your opponent. Yes, you can get lucky, but you're just as likely to take away what they want as you are take away their bad topdecks. They're okay for lategame, but Tutelage should have more card draw to power it.

>Have won a few games with the Altar + Alchemist combo triggering an insane mill/token loop
I like this, but against decks with few creatures, it's going to fizzle.
>>
I have been playing the Abzan Seasons Past list that Jeff Hoogland has been using.

Look, I just want to cast Sylvan Advocates.
>>
I'm having fun with my shitty Investigate+Clues deck.

Sometimes it just loses, but sometimes I deal 20+ while Clueing and drawing cards and then pinging for whatever-the-fuck.
>>
I'm doing it. I'm building mono-green stompy while we still have good shit like Surrak and Avatar of the Resolute in standard. I think the creatures are good but there really isn't that good of pump in standard right now. Vines of the Recluse and Might of the Masses are the only one drop pump and I'm not sure if I like them over the trample enabler and +4/+4, even though those cost two.
>>
Is something like this actually viable?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/molten-frog-tornado/
>>
>go to LGS
>in a nicer part of town
>everyone is just playing G/W tokens

Why can't a radical muslim just go in there and gas them all.
>>
>>47964468
I got beat by a 12 year old playing w/G tokens last night. That shit is lame as fuck
>>
>>47955081
>Yeah I got shat on in OGW and BFZ because I thought enchants were good.

As a general rule, you're right that they aren't. Everything just happened to line up to make Boon playable in the current Standard format.
>>
playan u/w fliers. at first I thought it was a slightly worse variant of u/r but its really holding up. thunderclap wyvern and reflector mage are surprisingly effective and ojutai out of the sideboard does work
>>
File: 1456611487966.jpg (39 KB, 395x310) Image search: [Google]
1456611487966.jpg
39 KB, 395x310
>>47965681
>Griff's Boon on Consul's Lieutenant
>>
Ive been seeing a list for r/w allies humans going around. Does anyone have it?
>>
>>47966762
You mean something like this?
>>
Has anyone tried to do a g/w delirium deck? I've a hankering to build one but don't know where to go with it
>>
>>47966912
Ya this was it thanks
>>
What's an interesting budget deck?
>>
>>47967268
spirits looks interesting
>>
>>47967268
>>47967282
I use http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=12626&d=273039&f=ST but with thunderclap wyvern instead of gideon.

the abbeys and the sideboard secures can go out for a number of sphinx of the final word and an additional island in the sideboard and you can use silkwrap or stasis snare depending on your meta in place of declaration in stone.
>>
>>47961487
Sylvan Advocate is a good magic card. Thank god G/W doesn't have any form of manland. Which is pretty much the only thing it doesn't have
>>
There isn't much to talk about in standard right now. The format was really interesting and seemed wide open but in the past two weeks in been concluded that green/white is hands down the best deck by a fair margin. The fact of which I was fuckin callin since the pro tour but that s neither here nor there
>>
>>47967754
We could talk about how people are retarded and new Emrakul is nuts and will see tons of Standard play
>>
>>47967785
I'm hoping it helps enable a baller w/x delirium control deck. I really want to play topplegeist and descend upon the sinful
>>
I know it's a standard thread, but I'm looking for an SOI sealed practice buddy. Basically someone who's willing to sperg out, share our ideas on a given sealed pool, generate pools online and port them into cockatrice, etc.

Haven't played in over a year and I'm super rusty. Email at [email protected] to set something up.
>>
>>47967862
>topplegiest

it's honestly not even worth messing with that card at all

If you're playing Emmy then you're probably just playing G/B
>>
>>47967785
oh hell yeah, I fell in love with it when I thought about how perfectly designed it is. I mean: 13 mana 13/13 that basically has delirium, mind controls your opponent, and also urges creatures to suicide into it? That is the most "cthulhu but on innistrad" card ever.

From a playability standpoint, I mean that stuff seems obvious if you aren't a knuckle-dragger. Its a new fatty for the ramp decks that were already pretty damn good that will lead to sweet sweet Value(tm) when cast
>>
>>47967737
if Stirring Wildwood was in std, GW would be basically unbeatable
>>
>>47967785
There is no reason for a ramp deck to run new Emmy over Newlumog
>>
>>47968266
there are plenty of situations where Emrakul will both cost less AND just win the game twice as hard as Ulamog
>>
R/W Ally Equipment stoooooooooge
Deck is brutal, Captain's Claws is a fair card, free 2/1s with a Weapons Trainer and a Bone Saw

Giving everyone double strike with Resolute Blademaster feels real good too
>>
>>47961663
>3 surrak
>3 managorger hydra
>4 avatar
>4 Collected Company
My Nigga
Needs Sylvan Advocate tho
>>
>>47955429
would a stasis snare stop gryffs boon from recurring?
>>
File: Dilma-Rousseff.jpg (63 KB, 667x500) Image search: [Google]
Dilma-Rousseff.jpg
63 KB, 667x500
Brewing U/R EmraKannon
>Cast Coax first
>Use looters to dig, fuel emrakul and madness
>Cast emrakul then Reckless Scholar the best cards out of thier hand
>Consistent turn 5 Emrakul
Whatever works, i guess
>>
>>47962478
no
>>
>>47967543
i play this and only had to spend like 15 on it for the lands and older cards (subbing gideon x3 for avacyn and removal), because I pulled 3 declaration in stone from draft.
>>
>>47954896
>ywn be 14 again
>ywn pretend to be coolly uninterested in the nerd games your friends are playing again
>ywn reluctantly join as their fourth and get excited as you try to puzzle out what the cards mean with your pooled limited knowledge
>ywn have that much confidence in your retarded, terrible, poorly constructed deck
>ywn kick so much ass with your retarded, terrible, poorly constructed deck
>ywn have that much fun again
>>
>>47969222
>be 14
>make up own rules
>still lose to them

>fast forward 10 years later
>learn the actual rules
>still get beat by 14 year olds
>>
>>47969260
we were too beautiful for this world, anon.
>>
Any decks making use of all 3 eldrazi? Probably janky as fuck but id try it nonetheless
>>
>>47961026
Thanks for the info on tappedout, man that place is a goldmine of good ideas. As for kitchen table/casual, that's the way I'm heading as I can't afford to make competitive decks for Gamestore play. Tried this deck in a four-player FFA with friends earlier. Altar caused some major salt early doors which was later compounded by feeding the alchemist/altar combo and millng three players out consecutively, the hate was real.
>>
>>47958335

These kind of decks tend to be narrow in their scope of what kind of decks they want to counter. Bait out his spells with low value cards and play carefully, or be hyper aggressive by flooding and hope he cant deal with it.
>>
>>47966912
>22 lands
>5 drops
Oh, so that's why he still had 2 cards in hand despite playing a weenie list.

Pfahahahaha.
>>
>>47967268
CLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEESSSS
>>
File: ulrichofthekrallenhorde.jpg (50 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
ulrichofthekrallenhorde.jpg
50 KB, 265x370
Are standard Werewolves a dead dream? What do they need to make them competitive?
>>
hows life without memerhinos? it sounds pretty nice
>>
>>47960416
gravecrawler+secrets of the dead+sphinx's tutelage+(nantuko husk + rooftop storm)

you dont need 4x rooftop storm, mind sculpt, or incrasing confusion, but you do need dark rituals, phyrexian altars, entombs, and maybe undead warchiefs

also your deck is legacy not standard and its laughably bad there, so kitchen table/casual it is
>>
>>47968992
>Cast emrakul then Reckless Scholar the best cards out of thier hand

>Reckless Scholar the best cards out of thier hand

>best cards out of thier hand

Why though?
Wouldn't you rather dig for yourself more?
if you cast t5 Emrakul, all you have to worry about is sorcery removal, so just use it on any other creature during their mindslaver turn, and scholar yourself for better fixing.

Revealing more cards to your opponent, even if it puts a good one in their GY doesnt seem like its very good.
>>
>>47971072
Not that card
>>
File: rig.jpg (55 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
rig.jpg
55 KB, 312x445
>>47966912
Is Stormrider Rig any good for this deck? I feel like it would be pretty neato with the tokens from claws.
>>
>>47969365
no.

>>47972093
no.
>>
>>47972124
What about Drana or Always Watching? I feel you can still put out Drana without any real issues with the encampments and maybe a very light splash of black.

Is Always Watching too slow for a weenie deck because it costs 3 instead of 2?
>>
>>47971072
My LGS has a few people trying to force werewolves. Turns 1-4 is scary, then you interact with them and they have no hand. None of them run CoCo and it's baffling to me.
>>
>>47961663
>>47968962

I agree with this guy.

Get 4 Advocates, dropping the 3 endless ones and a Surrak.

it will make your Companies more consistent.
>>
Can someone take a look at this and offer some advice? Never played with eldrazi before.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nahiri-eldrazi-madness/
>>
>>47976597
While Advocate is a strong card, that makes this deck a lot more expensive for a poorfag like me. The only reason why I have 4 CoCos is because I got them at launch in the best purchase of my life. Endless one is also relevant at any point in the game for me. He can be a one drop to flow into a 4/3 Avatar of the Resolute on turn 2, he can be a 3/3 for three if I don't have a recruiter to search with or a managorger to cast, or he can be an extremely big late game threat, with possible haste from Surrak
>>
File: Meld.jpg (82 KB, 698x483) Image search: [Google]
Meld.jpg
82 KB, 698x483
So is meld going to be standard playable? I mean, a 5/6 is pretty big
>>
>>47971072
>Are Standard werewolves a dead dream?

Yes, assuming that Mr. Worthless there is the only werewolf support coming in Eldritch Moon. Dragons of Tarkir being in Standard is basically their only chance, since that means they have access to Collected Company and Atarka's Command. Once those cards rotate out, werewolves doesn't have a chance.
>>
Are ultimate guard playmats decent?

Anything else I should look out for? I hear ultrapro in general is kinda a no-go.
>>
>>47977328
5/6 for 2 cards with total mana cost of 7 is garbage. They are commons with draft gimmick, not meant to be constructed playable
>>
>>47977328
Depends on what happens when you meld. This has me thinking that the eldrazi ooze card is a meld card as well now.
>>
>>47977252
Did people know Collected Company was a super good card before/(during) it was released?
>>
>>47977773
No. I got a playset for around 20.
>>
>>47977328

Not that card, no. Other cards, maybe. 6 toughness is also irrelevant in a format chock full of exile effects for removal.
>>
>>47977592
>5/6 for 2 cards with total mana cost of 7 is garbage

Don't you get two 5/6's though? Each one becomes one?
>>
>>47979523

Nah, sounds like you just get one dude.
>>
IMO edh is jesus, modern and cube is mkay, rest is retarded fag shit.

also, clever impersonator is highly underrated. copy anything and its still worth $3. wtsf
>>
>>47979671
>modern is okay
It's like the most faggiest format though.
>>
>>47979671
>>47981239
fuck modern and fuck modern players. if it wasn't for their shit format that has had the same decks for the last 10 years, we could actually have fun cards in standard
>>
>>47954865
>odric
>taget creature gains X
>where X is every key word ever
>>
>>47982365
That WAS the plan with the deck, but sadly it doesn't always work.

When it DOES, I have a field of flying, double strike vigilance creatures all at at least 3 attack.

I can burst down ramp decks pretty fucking quick, but I'm starting to think the 1 drop spam would work even better.

anybody wanna link me to the w/g tokens deck? I wanna see why it's so BS
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.