[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, a lot of people clearly just play RPGs as part of a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
Alright, a lot of people clearly just play RPGs as part of a personal power fantasy, we all know it and we all complain about it.

But what would a game DESIGNED to facilitate power fantasies actually look like, and would it be fun to play?

>hard mode: resist the urge to say dnd
>>
>>47953634
Wouldn't Exalted fit better than DnD?
>>
>>47953634
Maid RPG.
>>
>>47953643
Unless the OP is somehow meaning Powertripping by way of being the DM and "lulz NO" or "You are captured and killed, my DMBBEG IS THE BEST CHARACTER" type power?

But otherwise, yeah Exalted is way higher power level, when you're not pushing DnD hard to be high-high fantasy.
>>
>>47953643
I'm not really familiar with Exalted, but it seems so setting focused that I don't think it would really work out.
>>
>>47953634
GURPS.
"Stat yourself" with a couple thousand points.
>>
>>47953669
Not really. Generally the party is the big swinging dicks of the universe, beating the tar out of thousands of dudes easily, and overcoming other godlike beings. It's rare for an Exalted game to focus on people above you handing down orders or stopping you, because everyone knows that the reason you're playing is to roll extremely large diepools and win at life.
>>
>>47953664
>>47953868

I think a game where the players have some narrative control - that is, saying "no" to the GM is supported by the game mechanics - would be better for powertripping shenaningans. For example no matter how high your power level is in traditionally structured rpgs like Exalted or GURPS the gm can still have your character lose through simple fiat.
>>
>>47953634
Synnibarr.
>>
>>47953915
Freeform, then?
>>
>>47953634
>power fantasy

You can fuck back off to your intro to psychology class.
>>
>>47953940
No, I was thinking of games like Burning Wheel or Dogs in the Vineyard, possibly Dungeon World from what I've head of it (haven't played it myself). Having narrative control codified with game mechanics is the opposite of freeform, anon.
>>
>>47953944
RPGs are largely power fantasies, anon, there's no point in trying to pretend otherwise. It's perfectly fine to want to detach from the real word and its limitations once in a while!
>>
>>47953956
DitV and DW (and the vastly superior Apocalypse World and other hacks) don't really allow a flat no. It still a give and take, and the MC/GM is still the final arbitrator of what happens. They just give you some structure for describing results.
>>
>>47953634

There will never be a better game that facilitates power fantasy than Pathfinder.

It's like taking all the rules lawyering from MtG with the power gaming faggotry of stomping everything in your way because you're the only one who net-decked yourself to uber status.
>>
>>47953968
It's all about the adventure, fucking idiot.
>>
>>47954009
Mm-hm and this adventure is what, exactly...?
>>
>>47953634
>Anonymous 06/25/16(Sat)12:43:51 No.47953634▶>>47953643 >>47953655 >>47953868 >>47953923 >>47953944 >>47954000
>Alright, a lot of people clearly just play RPGs as part of a personal power fantasy, we all know it and we all complain about it.
No, you just play with shitty people.
>>
>>47954128

>It's not a problem at my table :^)

Why post?

For (you)'s?
>>
>>47953915
>the gm can still have your character lose through simple fiat.

There is no RPG where the GM can't just have the PCs lose through fiat. GMs can change the rules whenever and however they want for whatever game they're running no matter how awful of an idea it is. Unless there's a game that can literally, physically prevent that specific variety of shitty GMing, what you're describing is impossible.
>>
>>47953634
DnD 5e.
>>
Just play Black Crusade starting at like 5k exp.

You can become fucking Daemon Prince and literally destroy worlds. And or process all of the people on said world into drugs for an awesome party.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.