[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General - /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23
File: Creation.jpg (5 MB, 2890x1870) Image search: [Google]
Creation.jpg
5 MB, 2890x1870
>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release:
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf
>Backer Charm Book:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

>Resources for Previous Editions:
http://pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Kingdoms, City-states and Empires edition. What lands have your Exalted taken over? How they do run it? What area is your favorite to rule in?
>>
If a roll has automatic successes add to it, but the dice would become a botch, does it stay a botch or still count as 'having successes'?
>>
>>47952681
Not a botch, a roll includes all penalties and successes added to it, not a natural 20 crit situation.
>>
>>47952681
pretty sure that successes are successes.
>>
>>47952730
>>47952732
Fair enough.
>>
page 8
>>
>>47952638
>Kingdoms, City-states and Empires edition.
Anyone know any good resources to get a handle on how historical real-life kingdoms and city-states of roughly appropriate time periods worked? I know that stuff isn't entirely applicable to Exalted, but learning about historical shit seems like a decent way of getting ideas, inspiration and some insight into what's reasonable.
>>
>>47953804
Gurps has some nice resources. Like Gurps Low-Tech
>>
Anyone got a proper picture of this whole circle?
>>
File: 1439323634661.jpg (82 KB, 600x668) Image search: [Google]
1439323634661.jpg
82 KB, 600x668
>>47955624
Are they even a circle? I thought they were just the iconic Solars this edition.
>>
File: Solars.png (1 MB, 1020x502) Image search: [Google]
Solars.png
1 MB, 1020x502
>>47955624
>size of that motherfuggin sword

I think Prince is overcompensating
>>
>>47955767
That's actually quite modest for a daiklave.
>>
>>47955767
>>47955799

Diamond and Volfer have the whole length vs. girth thing going on.
>>
I see new iconics, old iconics and Visiting Flare

Who are the others
>>
>>47955799
Are you sure that isn't intended to be a chairoscuran red glass blade?

I hate how big daiklaves are in the art. They're supposed to be larger than life, but swords in fantasy art are already larger than life, so daiklaves have to be larger than larger than life and they end up looking fucking terrible for it.
>>
Is artifact making something you need to learn how to do? If someone exalts but has never dealt with artifacts before, will they know how to make an artifact out of the magical materials or will they need instruction?
>>
>>47956907
An Exalt with Craft (artifacts) 5 has learned literally everything there is to know about making artifacts
>>
How do charms like Force Stealing Feint and having a Defend Other on you interact?

My ST argues that because you weren't protected by your evasion DV, but your friends parry DV, FSF doesn't trigger; and if they beat your friends parry and not your evasion, they just redirect to your friend, so FSF still doesn't trigger.
>>
>>47956968
>When she successfully dodges an attack

Your ST is right
>>
>>47956998
But you applied your evasion DV to an attack targeting you and they failed to hit.

And does that mean you can never successfuly dodge while being defend other'd. Since they either hit you, fail to hit your friend, or redirect the attack on to your friend.
>>
>>47957181
>But you applied your evasion DV to an attack targeting you

No you didn't, your friend applied their parry instead. They block the attack so you don't have to to dodge it
>>
>>47957181

Dude what?

>Should an attack defeat the guardian’s Parry, the attacker may choose either to apply the attack to the guardian, or may attempt to strike his original target by using his threshold successes to attempt to overcome the original target’s Defense.

The latter case is when you would successfully dodge while being Defend Other'd, assuming your Evasion > their remaining attack successes. An attack came at you, you applied Evasion to it, and you dodged it.
>>
>>47957215
Yeah, but the enemy knows how many remaining attack successes he has and what your Evasion is, so it would be incredibly stupid of him to apply the attack against you
>>
>>47957215
What >>47957248 said, the attack comes at you, the attack beats your guardian, the attacker redirects on to the guardian. You did not "successfully dodge", the attacker re-targeted.

And if you did successfully dodge because and attack came at you, you applied Evasion to it, and you dodged it then you should still have dodged it if they didn't beat your partners parry.
>>
>>47957248

Or, you know, he's banking on one post-roll Charm or another, such as a Charm that provides a dice-bonus for going after your original target that could swing either way.

But yes, shocker: a fighting style predicated around being a tricky-dick fucker doesn't work so well when you're just standing behind your wall-of-iron friend.
>>
>>47957295
>What >>47957248 said, the attack comes at you, the attack beats your guardian, the attacker redirects on to the guardian. You did not "successfully dodge", the attacker re-targeted.

What the fuck are you talking about? The LATTER case. The one where the attacker chooses to swing at you, not your guardian, and thus compares his remaining attack successes to your Evasion. ie, a dodge.
>>
>>47957327

But he knows before he compares if he can hit you or not, so if your dodge would protect you, he has little to no reason not to redirect and attack your friend.
>>
>>47957352

He might or he might not. Either of you might have post-roll Charms that'll come into play.

In fact, you as a Dodgemonkey, ESPECIALLY will. You could absolutely keep your Evasion low to intentionally bait him into it, and then use effects like Drifting Leaf Elusion to fuck him.
>>
>>47955741
are their stats listed anywhere? it'd be nice to have them as examples
>>
>>47957459
I remember some time they said they were going to do an example adventure like tomb of the dive directions or whatever that had stats for all of them but i dont know if thats still coming or not
>>
I forget, is arms of the chosen going to contain a list of non weapon and armor artifacts like the codex did?
>>
>>47957891

Maybe. It'll definitely contain Warstriders, so it's not like it's 100% regular arms and armor.

It'll probably be focused on artifacts with Evocations, though.
>>
>>47957477
oh yeah, I think I rember hearing about that
>>
>>47955767

The fact that he has no penis?

>>47955903

Eternal Nova in the top left and one of the new Exigents n the top right.
>>
>>47958898
Assuming you mean >>47955767
thats Mirror Flag in the top right, with the mask. She's an Eclipse caste.
>>
File: cigar.jpg (737 KB, 1500x998) Image search: [Google]
cigar.jpg
737 KB, 1500x998
Does Creation have cigars? Where could I get one?
>>
>>47959225
I'll give you one.
>>
>>47959247
Where are you?
>>
>>47959225
Yes

Coral has the best cigars
>>
>>47955985
>Are you sure that isn't intended to be a chairoscuran red glass blade?
It's an artifact daiklave made of Chiaroscuro glass and fittings/filigree of Orichalcum, if I remember right. Possibly some Jade?
>>
>>47959225
>Does Creation have cigars?
Probably.

>Where could I get one?
Based on the IRL climates where tobacco grows easily? Probably either the Neck, Wavecrest, or the Scavenger Lands.
>>
>>47959261
Your door. Open it.
>>
Favorite backer charm?
>>
File: Miracles - Presence.png (1 MB, 921x569) Image search: [Google]
Miracles - Presence.png
1 MB, 921x569
>>47959561
Hallowed Bond of Night and Flame
>>
File: 1422804503331.gif (2 MB, 352x217) Image search: [Google]
1422804503331.gif
2 MB, 352x217
>>47959574
>>
>>47959558
I just checked. You weren't here dude.
>>
File: Solars Gonna Solar.png (418 KB, 263x629) Image search: [Google]
Solars Gonna Solar.png
418 KB, 263x629
>>47959600
Go hard or go home
>>
>>47960232
Took too long. I already left. I'll be back tomorrow by 8pm.
>>
So is anyone here going to gen con? Because apprently there might be finished dbs there
>>
File: Laughing Ashton.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Ashton.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>>47962847

>finished dbs

We're still waiting for the backer charms to be released to the public.
>>
Are the War charms less bafflingly boring to read when you've actually tried War or what?
>>
>>47962950
Yeah, they're astoundingly good when you read them understanding what they actually do in practical terms.
>>
So now that high essence combat is apparently being locked off in 3e I know it's a long shot, but I don't suppose anyone out there's working on a fan supplement for high essence charms?

Alternatively, I'm open to ideas for playing a high Essence-like campaign from another game that doesn't hinge on being able to convince my ST a game where True Fae and Archmages are PCs.
>>
>>47952638

The story anthology is awful. Like, it's really fucking bad and clearly written by someone who didn't understand Exalted at all. They're also just bad stories in general, with no real conflict or ending.

What the fuck were those idiots thinking?
>>
>>47963564
...how bad are we talking here? Chrysalis Grotesque levels of NOPE?
>>
>>47963564
Don't they include a Dragon-Blood exalting as a Solar?
>>
>>47963595

Okay, here are a few examples.

One story is about a Twilight Caste who has a rivalry with another Twilight Caste. She casts Rune of Singular Hatred on him, and he dies. That's the entire story - She doesn't learn anything, she doesn't suffer any consequences.

There is a Dragon-blooded who also has Solar powers.

There is a girl who makes a deal with an Exigent(?) of masks, to swap bodies with a girl in order to avoid a marriage to a mysterious stranger who is apparently some kind of Exalted. (We don't know what kind of Exalted he is, though.) When she decides "No, I don't want to go through with the deal. You can keep my payment." the Exigent simply deflates her like one of those horrific fetish comics.

A gambler ends up being bailed out of trouble by Plentimon, and is either given a pair of enchanted dice/made into an Exigent. (It's unclear.) He spends the whole story wanting to run and hide, and doesn't really do anything.

A very young girl becomes a Solar Exalted, and is raised and protected by bees that owe her a favor from a previous life. They're being attacked by demonic wasps. Usually, this is where she'd be given a powerbow and start kicking ass: Instead, she rescues a hive queen larva and runs away, with instructions to find her circle.

A Lunar raises a weird fucked-up creature to look for his Solar mate, makes a deal with the Fair Folk to do it, and when he completes a ritual that requires the creature's blood, he finds he can't do it. (Also, instead of being an unstoppable rampaging beastman, he can apparently be brought down by things like kicks to the head and thrown stones.)
>>
File: simplyebin.png (43 KB, 403x403) Image search: [Google]
simplyebin.png
43 KB, 403x403
>>47963680
...the actual fuck?

Who wrote this shit? It's they're actually TRYING to make the Exalted look like incompetant, irresponsible morons who deserved to be usurped.
>>
>>47964068

I got the feeling that the writers were uncomfortable or actively hated the idea of fantasy supermen elevated by the gods. I mean, the Exalted are basically ubermensch and are superior to mortals in every way.

The worse part, it's not *hard* to make the stories better. The second one could be 'Someone of Dragonblooded heritage Exalts as a Solar instead. Oh shit.' The third one's twist could be 'Actually, your fiancee is a Solar Exalted who was running an elaborate scheme to find and killing the mask-trading Exigent.'

The fourth one isn't a bad concept, it's just that the story is boring. Plentimon basically FORCES his magic dice onto that guy, who wants nothing more than to be left the fuck alone. The protagonist doesn't even particularly enjoy gambling.

The fifth one should've ended with the girl getting her hands on her weapon from a past life and proceeding to kill all the demonic wasps.
>>
if you were to make a demon similar to john carpenter's thing who's hierarchy would it belong to?
>>
>>47964068
to be fair the usurpation *was* likely necessary... I know we have a decided solar skew to everything but really
>>
>>47964391

It literally wasn't. Also, it's been canonically stated that society will eventually collapse without the Solars as all their technology ceases to function and the rest is irreplacable.
>>
>>47964391
not that that has anything to do with those stories and how they suck though
>>
>>47964369

Metagaos if it's Third Circle, or a demon with themes of the traitorous familiar if Second Circle.

By default just about strong enough to be a 1CD, honestly, meaning its hierarchy is irrelevant.
>>
>>47964425
>It literally wasn't.

>In time the Solars grew wicked, deceitful and mad; their magnanimity turned to spite, their justice to tyranny. They began to turn against their subjects and each other, and the world was soon threatened by the very sorceries and machinations the Solars had used to protect it.
Yep, super ambiguous.
>>
>>47964425
It was. You already got a citation and if you meant Vision of Gold then it had like 50/50 chance of success. You don't gamble with the fate of entire world if you've got other, sure option.

>t's been canonically stated that society will eventually collapse without the Solars
First Age society did, yes. And then we had Shogunate and, after that, Scarlet and her Realm. And that's not even mentioning myriad other kingodms and societies.
>>
>>47965097

But the Scarlet Empress's reign was built on the Sword of Creation. Which - you know - was built by Solars. The Shogunate was also highly reliant on irreplacable First Age tech.
>>
>>47965318

Don't confuse "using it because it's there" with "relying on it to exist at all."

If you snatched all the First Age tech out of Creation all at once, things would change, but the relative power levels would sit more or less as they are.
>>
>>47964537
thanks. (somehow i had forgotten about metagaos
>>
>>47965445

They would all die when the next Fair Folk invasion happened, or the Deathlords. There would be no meaningful way to resist.

No, seriously - How would you beat a Fair Folk invasion without Solars or First Age technology?
>>
>>47966408
>They would all die when the next Fair Folk invasion happened, or the Deathlords. There would be no meaningful way to resist.
The Deathlords would be significantly hampered by the loss of all First Age artifice.

>No, seriously - How would you beat a Fair Folk invasion without Solars or First Age technology?
They're guerrillas, refugees crushed on one side by the predatory Hannya and crushed on the other by a reality that's hostile to them. An individual noble clocks in at Dragon-Blood, and commoners aren't much more threatening than First Circle Demons.

A grand invasion of Fair Folk is simply impossible now. That's why they nibble on the edges of the world, declaring themselves kings of small places, far and away from the reach of the Realm, and constantly fearing the fangs of the Lunars.
>>
>>47966522

But the Deathlords would be immortal and invincible. Shadowlands would eventually engulf all of the world. Not to mention that each Deathlord is about as individually powerful as an Elder Solar.

Also, the Dragon-blooded would be run ragged trying to stop the Fair Folk. Worse, they cannot reclaim the areas lost - Dragon-blooded don't have Wyld-Shaping Charms. It just doesn't work.
>>
>>47963595
>Chrysalis Grotesque levels of NOPE
Oh please, the CG is overrated in terms of gratuitous grotesquerie.
>>
>>47967300
>But the Deathlords would be immortal and invincible. Shadowlands would eventually engulf all of the world. Not to mention that each Deathlord is about as individually powerful as an Elder Solar.
First Age artifice has no relevance to these things. First Age artifacts aren't going to bring a Deathlord down any better than any other wonder. If anything the Deathlords will suffer for its loss, since their powerbase is composed significantly of it. Certainly a much greater percentage than the Realm's.

>Also, the Dragon-blooded would be run ragged trying to stop the Fair Folk. Worse, they cannot reclaim the areas lost - Dragon-blooded don't have Wyld-Shaping Charms. It just doesn't work.
You do remember that the Empress wasn't using the Sword on the regular, right? She used it to establish initial dominance, and then that was it. The Realm has the Fair Folk problem under control with or without it, just as they had it under control up to the Balorian Crusade--which is, as I mentioned, now more or less impossible to repeat.
>>
>>47966522

>They're guerrillas, refugees crushed on one side by the predatory Hannya and crushed on the other by a reality that's hostile to them

Source in the 3e book of this?
>>
>>47967450

>You do remember that the Empress wasn't using the Sword on the regular, right?

It was the threat of the Realm Defense Grid that kept the Fair Folk out. Why would you invade when you have 100% chance to get your ass kicked again?
>>
>>47967455

>But the raksha are no longer the undisputed lords of the Wyld. In the centuries since the failure of their last great crusade to end Creation, a new and terrible sort of faerie has emerged from the depths of the Wyld. These twisted and hungry beings—the hannya—count raksha as their preferred prey.

The Raksha are no longer welcome in the Wyld, and if they could push deeper into Creation, they would have. They're stuck in a thin rim around Creation, where the balance between real and unreal lets them hide from the other side.
>>
>>47967492

Except it still says in the book that there are Fair Folk in the Deep Wyld. So while there are Hannya that does not mean that there is still not infinite Fair Folk in the Wyld.
>>
>>47967539

And an equally-infinite horde of Hannya to keep them busy. They're an irrelevancy.
>>
What are the hannya though?
>>
>>47967548

Except it says that they are talking about War with Creation in the core book. Again. Better to run into Creation screaming and accomplish something then just keep fighting Hannya.
>>
>>47967569

Just new Unshaped. Basically the same as the old but have a slightly higher starting essence.
>>
>>47967572

You know what happens when you turn your back on an enemy that's you, but stronger and hyper-optimized to hunt you down and kill you in a way that you literally can't do back?

Hint: it isn't "successfully cross a massive gulf of hostile chaos and reach the other side in any kind of shape for war"
>>
>>47967621

>You know what happens when you turn your back on an enemy that's you, but stronger and hyper-optimized to hunt you down and kill you in a way that you literally can't do back?

Well if they were equal in number then the Hannya are all that is left and there are 0 Fair Folk left since they are so superior in every way. And yet again do we know if the Hannya have the same hate for Creation all Fair Folk do? Because being Unshaped they should. So now you replaced one enemy with another still out to blow up Creation.
>>
>>47967621

Looks like this line should not exist in the book...

>The Fair
Folk, still fuming from their last bitter defeat, have begun
to speak war words and sing the chaunts of battle, from
their septs within Creation and from within their halls in
the deep Wyld
>>
>>47967656
>Well if they were equal in number then the Hannya are all that is left and there are 0 Fair Folk left since they are so superior in every way.
That isn't how there being infinite Raksha works. You were the one who wanted there to be infinite Raksha, so stick by it.

>And yet again do we know if the Hannya have the same hate for Creation all Fair Folk do?
Unstated. Seems reasonable that they'd prefer to hunt down other Wyld-critters, since Creationfolk have no narratives to nom.
>>
>>47967690

>That isn't how there being infinite Raksha works. You were the one who wanted there to be infinite Raksha, so stick by it.

You said there were infinite Hannya. If there were and one can destroy the other you subtract the Infinite Raksha away by the Infinite Hannya. Which leaves you with 0 Raksha.

>since Creationfolk have no narratives to nom.

What? That is what Creation side Fair Folk do. Force and consume mortals for their narratives and turn them into one narrative creatures. At least in old editions.
>>
>>47967327
I really like the Chrysalis. That is genuinely good fluff.
>>
>>47967724
>You said there were infinite Hannya.
I said there are "equally-infinite" Hannya. That is, any argument you would use to support infinite Raksha, I would then also apply to infinite Hannya. If you don't want there to be infinite Hannya, then don't argue for infinite Raksha.

>If there were and one can destroy the other you subtract the Infinite Raksha away by the Infinite Hannya. Which leaves you with 0 Raksha.
Again, that still isn't how infinity works.

>What? That is what Creation side Fair Folk do. Force and consume mortals for their narratives and turn them into one narrative creatures. At least in old editions.
Fair Folk devour Virtues (in old editions) and emotions. The whole POINT of their fascination with Creation-born was that Creation-born creatures don't have narratives. They just DO things, with no foreshadowing or clever omens or anything.

A noble Raksha never "dies" without spending at least 2 weeks planning its own assassination with its killer. A mortal gets shanked in an alleyway with no warning whatsoever. That's what surprises and enthralls the Raksha so much.
>>
>>47967569
I remember Holden discussing them back when the Fair Folk errata was released.

If you think of regular Raksha as LARPers who participate in grand stories and great dramas, Hannya are more like those really old school D&D dungeon crawlers who approach things as more of a mechical boardgame where the goal is to win and the idea of a story is completely unimportant.

This of course makes it very aggravating and deadly for Raksha because Hannya aren't playing the same game they are and are basically approaching everything from a totally different perspective.

"Yes, I am the grand prince and tonight I shall attend the opera to find..."

"Someone throws a rock at your head and you die."

"W-well, I spend Essence and dodge the rock. Then I turn and shout at the knave who would dare to throw a rock at me! I challenge hi-"

"Someone else throws a rock at your head. You die."

"Well, I uhh.. spend more Essence to dodge. And I yell at this other guy who would try to challenge me because I want to go to the opera."

"Someone else throws a rock at your head. You die."

"Gee, I am running low on Essence and this story sucks. It's just random people throwing rocks at me. That's not any fun. I will try to leav-"

"Someone throws a rock at your head. You die."

Just think of them as Unshaped who are a form of apex predators that devour Raksha and completely ignore all the story bullshit and grand drama that Raksha love to play. Unlike regular Unshaped, there's nothing fun or exciting or dramatic about fighting the Hannya and losing really, really sucks.

Fortunately Hannya can't get into the Middle or Bordermarches and quickly die in the Deep Wyld, so the Raksha are safe from them as long as they don't go into Pure Chaos.
>>
>>47968447
>Fortunately Hannya can't get into the Middle or Bordermarches and quickly die in the Deep Wyld
Wait, so where do hannya dwell then?
>>
>>47965097
>Shogunate

The Shogunate wasn't that bad. Sure, it had a loss of technology, and a lot of infighting, but things would have settled down somehow, and I can see hundred of thousand of DBs having a positive impact on Creation. The Great Curse is magnanimous on DBs and they're still kicking ass demigods. It is the Great Contagion and subsequent fey war that fucked Creation's shit up.

It could have worked better. The vision of Bronze was viable, for a time. The Sidereals just didn't take into account the Deathlords.
>>
>>47968907
The primary issue is Sid foreknowledge doesn't take into account things outside fate.

Neverborn, Deathlords and Abyssals

Yozi and Infernals

Fair folk

Basically everything that is a creation ending threat.

Hence the massive issue.
>>
>>47968982
The Shogunate could have fought against a full-scale invasion of Fair Folk at the height of his power. It is the Great Contagion that allowed the Fair Folk's invasion by killing 9/10 of all DBs everywhere, depleting armies of mortals, infrastructure, cities, etc.

Yozi and Infernals were a non-existent threat at this point of time.

The only massive issue of the vision of Bronze was the fact the Sids were absolutely blind to the Underworld, even though it should have been obvious that any real threat would have come from the land of the murderous rampaging dead creatures.
>>
>>47963680

There were a few good stories too, if I remember right. The one with the mountain?
>>
>>47965097
>It was. You already got a citation and if you meant Vision of Gold then it had like 50/50 chance of success. You don't gamble with the fate of entire world if you've got other, sure option.
> if you meant Vision of Gold then it had like 50/50 chance of success
I'm not sure if it was even a 50/50 chance. 1E Sidereals, at least, speaks of a 'slim chance of success' in relation to the Vision of Gold. It isn't clear what counts as 'slim' of course, but what is clear is that the odds weren't good.
>>
>>47968705
Pure Chaos. "Deep Wyld" is kinda misleading because that is still technically Creation, at least in my understanding. It still has some of the Creation rules and form but it's extremally malleable and changing. Pure Chaos is, as the name suggests, pretty much undescribable. And that's how the Wyld was before Creation came to be.
>>
>>47967539
Things are not infinite by default, and the developers are aware of how retarded making an adversary infinite in number was.
>>
>>47959574
sacrificial pawn wyld-hunt distraction prana
>>
>>47967455
lol, 3e book log is shit. its literally just solars right now. so what do you think?
>>
File: SexVajM.jpg (348 KB, 1637x829) Image search: [Google]
SexVajM.jpg
348 KB, 1637x829
Coming up with martial art houses is difficult.
Especially when you've got to come up with like twelve.
>>
>>47970933
Why houses? You can just make a wandering sensei.
>>
>>47967742
the chrysalis is fine. I think they meant the demon gang rape that comes after, or using the one day their minions would be able to summon 3rd circle into creation to instead take two weeks out of their time to call a meeting where disputes are solved with retarded ass dares like "eat more buckets of scorpions than the other guy, and no cheating by making them your preferred food first"
>>
>>47970947
Maybe houses was the wrong term; but Wu Jian has 13 martial art factions. And our game is going to be set there and I want to help make some Martial arts groups.

I'm just finding it hard to make so many
>>
>>47971005
need moar cheezy movies
>>
>>47971176
That's always an option, but still requires that I make martial art groups first and then give the people themselves wild personalities.
>>
to clarify: when you try to enter a shadowland from creation at night, you'd just skip over the space it occupies right? because its not there right now
>>47971478
>to clarify: when you try to enter a shadowland from creation at night, you'd just skip over the space it occupies right? because its not there right now

No. You can ENTER a Shadowland from either world at any time of day. The weird property only kicks in if you try to leave.
>>
>>47971430
You can build a group around a single master and his eccentricities. You can also start by thinking about ideological or philosophical issues where that might form the core of the enmity or rivalry between two groups - sort of come up with two groups at once. If you come up with an interesting group, you could modify the groups' themes a bit to create another group that split off from the original one. If you come you with an interesting master, you could think about what his master might be like, or what a student of the same master, competing with him over the title of the top student or heir of the school might be like, or what his own rebellious student might be like, and then build a group around one of those characters. There's no need to try to create each and every group separately from each other.
>>
>>47971478
Shadowlands exist in both places simultaneously, you pass from one realm to the other depending on the time
>>
>>47971504
I've already come up with two groups.
>>
What do the death-gods of creation do?
Like I don't think they're responsible for the underworld, or involved with what the dead do. Is this particular concept completely without divine oversight?
>>
>>47971631

The Underworld is not under heaven's purview, no. Lethe is also a bit too "big" and primal to fall under their purview; they might have a bureau to monitor it, but there's no god who claims Lethe as its dominion, I'd wager.

Death gods of Creation mostly handle the actual act of dying, like Bloody Hands (who govern murders), making sure corpses stay corpses, making sure the person/thing who killed you doesn't retroactively change into something else, etc. They might also govern hungry ghosts, since those are a natural part of things; it's just the "upper" ghost that isn't supposed to happen.
>>
>>47971668
Addendum: There's also, of course, gods of things like grieving widows, vengeful sons, etc. etc. etc.

All the consequence and causes of death, with special focus on it as a transformation and cause for new beginnings (since that's Saturn's view of things).
>>
Are there hot Deathlords?
>>
>>47971687
Yes.
>>
>>47971687
The Scarlet Phoenix Astride The World, I imagine
>>
>>47971687

The Lover in Darkness' whole shtick is that she's so hot and hedonistic that everything else in the world becomes meaningless and dreary by comparison, and then when you get addicted to her and the things she offers, even SHE becomes meaningless and dreary, just like humans can turn the huge rush from cocaine into "I need it to get up in the morning," and eventually "I need even more to get up in the morning," but there's no bigger dose of the Lover.

With no pleasures left in all Creation, despair and suicide usually follow.
>>
>>47967481
yeah, when Creation was after getting fucked by the great contagion, now though, it's the lunars and hordes of dragonblooded and other thing s that would absolutely wreck the fairfolk
>>
>>47971430
>>47971005
Then let's make them up together. C'mon /exg/, this is easy shit. Let's start with a list. Thirteen slots, short descriptions, nothing's set in stone and less interesting propositions can be replaced by better ones if the need arises.

Here's a first draft, with place-holder names :

>Governmental Police of some kind that fights for the Establishment using basic but efficient techniques
>The Beggar's Guild, where street urchins and paupers assemble to defend the interest of the downtrodden, with great variety and a great master or two but much weaker students.
>The Esoteric Order of Bitch Slappers, where Weird Wu Jian's fauna dwells and researches weird esoteric Martial Arts
>The Immaculate Mission, a small but very dedicated faction that defends the distant Realm's interests in the city
>The Deep Wu Jian Ancestor Cult, with ties to the Dead, assassins, ninjas, they're your typical "evil" MA school
>Some Group Linked To Sailing and the Undersea, maybe something related to the distant Lyntha
>Groups
>Linked
>To
>City Districts
>Most Certainly Not A Branch of the White Veil Society
>Something linked to the Raksha
>Some Secret Group that's only spoken of and felt but never seen, that shall never reveal itself appart from a stranger grabbing some PC at random during a tense scene and whispering to their ear "We appreciate your work" or "We shall meet once more and then never again (because we're totally gonna murder yo ass)" depending on what the PCs have been doing.
>>
>>47971005
Mitch, that you? If you're having trouble thinking of schools, I'm more than happy to help.

(It's Wave, by the way.)
>>
>>47972182
Not Mitch but it is nice to see others might be having similar problems I am running into.
>>
>>47972076
You know that first one is actually one of the MA guilds I made; they're sort of the peacekeepers of Wu Jian. One of the cities gods (not sure which) created some sort of magical rules that the various Martial Art Guilds all follow. This gods followers keep the other's in line and ensure the laws are followed.

They serve as police men and a little bit of the army, and are well liked by most of the normal folks in Wu Jian, and the god behind them is worshipped by most of the city because of their role.
>>
>>47972311
Huh, that's uncanny. There's a game on Mythweavers I'm in that has a similar problem.
>>
>>47972478
Well if you ever do come up with all 13 I would be interested in knowing what you come up with.
>>
Why the hate for the second edition?
>>
>>47972631
Because its combat system is literally broken.
>>
>>47972687

And the social system, and the mass combat system, and more Exalts are busted (one way or the other) than are not, and the only positive thing you can say for the craft system is that it exists.
>>
Simple worldbuilding idea: Is it possible to create reverse shadowlands to 'invade' the Underworld?
>>
>>47972723
Shadowlands already ARE reverse Shadowlands. They are borders, they invade both worlds.
>>
>>47972738
>Shadowlands
so Sorcery should be able to create them too, correct?
>>
>>47972879
No.
>>
>>47972879

I suppose in theory Sorcery could create a Shadowland from the Underworld side by introducing a shitload of Creation's essence, but it wouldn't be able to do it from Creation-side.
>>
>>47972936
Pretty sure Sorcery flat out does not work in the Underworld.
>>
>>47972959
why wouldn't it? You'll need to cite that
>>
Its a moot point anyway, seeing as 3e has blank slated the setting.

It's up to your GM.
>>
>>47972076
>>The Beggar's Guild, where street urchins and paupers assemble to defend the interest of the downtrodden, with great variety and a great master or two but much weaker students.

This resembles 9dragons' League of Beggars too much. I like it.
>>
>>47972723
I see where you're going.

Shadowlands are technically a hole between the Underworld and Creation. It is generally created when something in Creation call upon the Underworld (blood, murders, bloody murders, etc), but I guess you could create one by calling upon Creation in the Underworld. Maybe a large group of living beings thriving in the Underworld, being born and all? Not an easy task with all the murderous ghosts though.
>>
A long time ago, someone posted an Infernal Caste/Urge Combination Analysis post that I thought was really helpful. I believe it was in the old forum, but I am unsure. Does anyone have this saved, and if so, could it be either re-posted here or linked? Much thanks.
>>
>>47971492
thanks
I think he is wanting to come at it from the opposite side even if the endpoint is the same, like rather than go to creation and butcher up a big pile of underworld essence to break through do...something...in the underworld.
like if all shadowlands were sealed somehow at present the deathlords apparently just have to wait for humans to genocide eachother entirely on their own as opposed to being able to do anything about it from their end.
>>
>>47974298
(not that that would stop them, because necromancy spells that let you cross exist anyway, but shadowlands are easier)
>>
>>47972879
>>47972934
Ambition 3 celestial workings can make a small shadowland. Ambition 3 solar working can make a city sized shadowland.
>>
>>47974483

I would say that is far more necromancy then Sorcery.
>>
>>47974632
Creating a small shadowland is an actual example of a Celestial 3 Working, straight from the book.
>>
>>47974655

It is still odd. Unless you were doing it from the Underworld and bringing Creation to that place. Then essentially you would make a Shadowland. But bringing the Underworld to Creation just seems odd for Sorcery when that is kind of Necromancy's whole thing. But then again this is the edition we have Prome- err Liminals.
>>
>>47974632
yeah I assume Necromancy would be able to do it easier at lower ambition, but both ambition 3 celestial and solar mention shadowlands as something they can do.
>>
>>47974719
It's basically about connecting two different planes of existence. Something like that isn't really more aligned with one plane than the other.
>>
>>47974719
I get the feeling we may not even get Necromancy as its own separate set of rules. It may just be a new set of Shaping Rituals based around the thematics of Deathlords or other aspects of the Underworld, and the provision that "You can do whatever with it, but only if you're able to describe the effects spookily."

Maybe there'll be something about Rituals from Creation being less effective in the Underworld, and Rituals from the Underworld being less effective in Creation. And maybe only certain classes of being (Solars and Abyssals, chiefly) can possess both kinds of Rituals.
>>
>>47975222
There will definitely be at least some Necro-only spells. Need those zombies.
>>
What do I take for a "fastest gun in the West" (South) type, other than Awareness? Is there anything to 'borrow' initiative from future rounds to go first now and crash or take some other penalty later?
>>
>>47975505
>Is there anything to 'borrow' initiative from future rounds to go first now and crash or take some other penalty later?
If you were a Sidereal, maybe.
>>
Craft Shenanigans:

Exegesis of the Distilled Form + Supreme Celestial Focus + Supreme Perfection of Craft (all in all 18 Charms, so possible at chargen with BP).

Even with Essence 1, Supreme Perfection of Craft will give (converted to gold points) 2gxp per Craft 5 whenever you 'take a long rest'.
After the first, Supreme Celestial Focus makes a new Craft 5 cost 38 gxp.
On Essence 1, this is regained after 19 long rests.

Once the thing gets rolling, use Exegesis of the Distilled Form with your unlimited income of gold xp. Let's assume avergage chances, it's enough to generate 63 wxp per story to get the full 20 xp you can get from Exegesis.
In my campaigns so far, 11+ 'long rests' per story are not uncommon. Having 6 Crafts at 5 will be enough to generate that amount, or 63 "craft-rests" (let's use that unit of measurement)

When reaching Essence 2, this is decreased to 42. On Essence 5, just 21 craft-rests. Let's assume we have 11 Craft 5 at that point: 2 long rests and we're full.
What the fuck.

Am I missing something or is that the possible douchest way to use Craft Charms?
>>
>>47971631
>>47971668
>>47971683
>What do the death-gods of creation do?
For most creatures inside of Fate, their deaths are literally predestined.

Fate already knows when and how John the Farmer is going to die - they determined it in advance as part of their grand plan. Some people don't have deaths important/relevant to Fate, so Fate just lets them die whenever and however. Sometimes, beings less enslaved by Fate enter the picture and fuck everything up - Exalted, Fair Folk, ghosts, whatever, their presence can have long-lasting ripples that completely derail your destiny.

The job of death-gods is to mediate and regulate these deaths. To make people die at the right time, in the right way. To let their superiors know if something fucked up and some destinies need to get shifted around to fix everything.

Because that's what the people working for the Maiden of Ending are all about. Making sure that stories get a 'The End' at the exact right time and place in order to make things happen correctly.
>>
>>47975296
>Need those zombies.
That should be Craft, in my opinion, and is a perfectly fine addition to 'summon a demon' and 'create an elemental,' if not. 'Summon a ghost' and 'create a zombie' wouldn't be at all out of place in 3e's Sorcery.
>>
>>47972959
>Pretty sure Sorcery flat out does not work in the Underworld.
3e's Sorcery is completely different from 2e's and 1e's. Don't reference it when trying to understand 3e Sorcery functionality.
>>
>>47971478
>>47974298
>___________________________________
Homie, are you a newfag? Because that shit is straight up not necessary, and also dumb. It's cool if you're a newfag, just lurk more so that you don't do stupid shit.
>>
File: luckyluke3.jpg (17 KB, 280x225) Image search: [Google]
luckyluke3.jpg
17 KB, 280x225
>>47975612
Well, I'm a Solar. So how do Solars pull off pic related?
>>
>>47975956
I don't understand what I'm looking at.
>>
>>47975956

By using Awareness and other join-battle enhancers.
>>
>>47975998

He drew faster than his own shadow, is the joke.
>>
>>47976000
Thank you captain obvious, are the good JB-enhancers anywhere more specific than "Awareness"?
>>
>>47976023
Ah, I see. Then this:
>>47976000
Invest in so many charms that boost your ability to roll Initiative that you're guaranteed to go first.

>>47976043
>Thank you captain obvious, are the good JB-enhancers anywhere more specific than "Awareness"?
Fuck you, faggot. Don't act like a cunt when someone's trying to actually help you.
>>
So let's talk about the best place in Creation; Paragon.
>>
>>47976043

Not really; any and all of Awareness' roll-boosters also apply to JB unless they're more specific than that.

Awareness' kick the shit out of most everything else's. Stealth has some JB enhancement, but its biggest one (Blinding Battle Feint) turns off all the Awareness enhancers, so it's more of an in-lieu-of thing.

Thrown has JB enhancers if I'm not mistaken. Righteous Devil lets you aim and draw your weapon before any other character acts. You don't get to shoot it until your turn, but you can quick-draw perfectly.
>>
>>47976104
Allright, thanks, looks like it'll be Supernal Awareness for me.
>>
>>47976098
Eh, I'd rather live in the Realm, personally. Less of a magically-perfect judicial system, but a better standard of living for a commoner like myself. And I'd never be able to hack it in Lookshy.

Being a useful but intensely uninteresting functionary for a Patrician family's affairs would basically be my shit. Good enough to get paid, boring enough to never draw the attention of the Dragon-blooded.

Because at the end of the day, creature comforts are more important to me than a perfect judicial system.
>>
>>47976205
Paragon's laws make it really hard for you to be dicked over by a lot of people though.
>>
>>47976320

And in Paragon all it takes is one ill-considered tax law to kill you before the sun can rise.
>>
>>47976360

So you are breaking the law on purpose and don't want to tell a magistrate? You deserve to die. Because normally it just hurts like hell until you find an official. Especially if you unknowingly did it.
>>
>>47976395
>So you are breaking the law on purpose and don't want to tell a magistrate?
Tell him what? Literally nobody knows what law you're breaking, including you, so you get to sit there being tortured.

>Because normally it just hurts like hell until you find an official. Especially if you unknowingly did it.
Presuming the tax law is intentionally doing this, and not as a knock-on effect of a knock-on effect of another law with capital punishment.
>>
>>47976395
No he's talking about the Perfect making a mistake and waking up to a city filled with corpses.

Right the Perfect has total control over who lives and dies because of his magical stick and the rules... so he should do the obvious thing and basically be a total dictator.
>>
>>47976360
Not all crimes are capital offences, and I don't recall reading anything about the pain from more minor offences ever reaching lethal levels.
>>
>>47976524
Well, he *is* a total dictator. He's just not, you know, either retarded or evil for evil's sake.
>>
>>47976657

It's not about being retarded or evil, it's about removing discretion and judgment from the system.

Open literally any state or country's law books and I guarantee you you'll find laws that, if they were enforced absolutely, would result in deaths, economic hardship, or worse. Usually towards people that nobody gives a shit about, so it's not like there'd be anyone in the Perfect's ear lobbying to change the laws.
>>
>>47976657
People forget that dictators can be benevolent. They should read some Pratchett.

Aaand now the Perfect will be replaced by Vetinari in all my campaigns I'll never run.
>>
>>47976732
Well those laws exist either as holdovers or to act as discretionary arresting reasons. Most of them are made knowing that 99% of the case they won't be enforced.

With the magical stick the Perfect knows that those would be enforced 100% of the time so those sorts of laws wouldn't exist in all likelihood, so no, a law that prohibits being naked in the shower wouldn't make it onto the books because he'd know people would actually suffer from it and he's not a sadist.
>>
>>47976732
Right, but here's the thing, anon: those laws aren't enforced absolutely. Those of Paragon are, and the Perfect has had centuries to figure out the implications and consequences of this. It is hardly reasonable to assume that the Perfect and his officials and advisers come up with new laws without accounting for taking the unique aspects of Paragon's judicial system. If they do make mistakes, they'll presumably correct them. Like, if a new law leads to a bunch of people reporting to magistrates without quite knowing what crime they have committed, they'll look into it, not just shrug and go "eh, it isn't that big a deal". The people who suffer from these hypothetical mistakes will, of course, not die - the pain for offenses that aren't punishable by death doesn't grow in intensity until it's lethal, it just continues until the criminal confesses to a magistrate. At least I'm pretty sure it works like that. It's still suck, but there is no reason to assume such mistakes happen frequently.
>>
>>47976798
>With the magical stick the Perfect knows that those would be enforced 100% of the time so those sorts of laws wouldn't exist in all likelihood

Not on purpose, perhaps, but when there's only one governing body that matters, law documents get huge and arcane. The Perfect absolutely doesn't know every law by heart for a city as big as Paragon, and he certainly doesn't know all the implications and interactions of those laws, nor what the implications might be of a new law he's drafting up.
>>
>>47976887
First, I'm not convinced that laws would have to be as complex as they are in most places when you can actually rely on people obeying both the law and the orders of government officials. Second, the Perfect doesn't actually handle the entirety of Paragon's government and legislation on his own. He has aides, scholars, bureaucrats and whatnot to help him.
>>
>>47976887
>>47976887
A lot of those laws are made though with the knowledge they won't be enforced unless they want to be, by all means unintended consequences would happen but I daresay knowing that unintended consequences WILL have a tangible, concrete, physical repercussion to them would likely result in a minimization of such combinations.

Bogus laws meant to create reasons for arrest would not exist because they would always be enforced and would be untenable.

Odd interactions that cause law breakage would likely exist but would probably be much lower than most countries today because such interactions will have a direct consequence and because honestly, the law book won't be nearly as massive as cities today. It's a single city-state, sure they'll have a lot of laws on the books but good record keeping and knowledge that such interactions would absolutely fuck people up would cause lawmakers to more consciously design the laws or have the entire system segmented to prevent large amounts of unintended consequences.

Now, someone could absolutely try and sneak in a law that they would know would cause a bad interaction with another but those people would likely be very highly punished, in fact they probably have a law against it!

So unintended interactions would only be the result of negligence with a system in place to combat such negligence, will it happen? Yeah, is it a roiling problem that most people will have to deal with? Highly unlikely.
>>
>>47976471
>Literally nobody knows what law you're breaking, including you,
if you commit a crime through negligence rather than intent the staff gives you a headache for an afternoon. The things N/A rated its practically sentient.
>>
Do the Tya differ from the Dereth?
>>
>>47977226
And when the doctor realizes she accidently gave the wrong medicine to a patient that resulted in that patient's death, the staff kills her.
>>
>>47977266
Yes, enormously.

Like, the only real point of comparison you can draw is "some are women taking the roles of men for professional reasons."
>>
>>47977226
>The things N/A rated its practically sentient.

No, the staff explicitly enforces laws to the letter, without judgment or discretion. That's the whole point of it as a social exercise.

The only reason it would inflict lesser punishment on unknowing law-breakers is if there's a law on the books defining what "unknowing" means and what the lesser punishment for unknowingly breaking a law is.
>>
>>47977290
or, you know, the law is different for accidentally causing a death, with clauses for neglect etc.
>>
>>47977376
I believe this was an example from the book.
>>
>>47977353
>No, the staff explicitly enforces laws to the letter, without judgment or discretion.
[citation needed]
>>
>>47977376
Even if the law wasn't different, I think we've moved pretty far for this:
>>47976360
>And in Paragon all it takes is one ill-considered tax law to kill you before the sun can rise.

I mean, sure, Paragon's system can, in some individual cases, fuck undeserving people over. So can literally any other system. Innocent people are sentenced to prison, even to death, because mistakes are made. >>47977290 isn't really talking about anything that would make Paragon's sytem worse than some other ystem, merely about something that makes the system less than perfect. Which it is, obviously. This doesn't mean it can't be pretty good and functional as far as jducual systems in Creation go.
>>
>>47977315
Tya don't really take the role of men, do they? They practice a masculine profession and give up some parts of being a woman, but they're not expected to dress and behave manly.
>>
>>47976887
>Not on purpose, perhaps, but when there's only one governing body that matters, law documents get huge and arcane.
That's normally true, but paragon isnt a country. It's a city state of around a million. Thats crazy abnormal and so its laws are probably a lot simpler.
>>
>>47977623
They are on the ocean.
>>
>>47977623
>>47977848
Ah I mean to say when they are out on the ocean they act more masculine.
>>
>>47977290
>And when the doctor realizes she accidently gave the wrong medicine to a patient that resulted in that patient's death, the staff kills her.
Only if said doctor doesn't go report that malpractice to a magistrate.

Who then gives the actual punishment.

The magical staff-laws are only a death sentence to people who evade arrest for crimes they know they've committed.
>>
>>47978117
Nah, some crimes are magically, automatically punished by death. Other crimes just lead to pain, intensity of whoch varies by crime, which lasts until the criminal finds a magistrate and confesses.
>>
>>47978269
>Nah, some crimes are magically, automatically punished by death. Other crimes just lead to pain, intensity of whoch varies by crime, which lasts until the criminal finds a magistrate and confesses.
This is 100%, purely false. The only magical deaths of that type in Paragon are caused by refusing to submit yourself to a magistrate. You might THEN be sentenced to death by the magistrate, but it won't be the magical staff doing it.
>>
>>47978295
No, it is really fucking explixitly stated that some crimes just plain lead to death.
>>
>>47968982

the only creation ending threat they actually can see is Solars. Every time they see the world ending it's going to be Solars.

This probably encourages pessimism. Even if the bronze faction is/was right, that pushes them to excessive extremism.
>>
>>47977315
Can a woman turn to the Tya/Dereth for the same reasons?
>>
Any known first circle demons for Szoreny?
>>
>>47980372
First circlers don't belong to any one Yozi.

No matter how much 2e retardedly insisted otherwise.
>>
>>47980485
any known first circle demons initially belonging to szoreny or somehow inspired by or blabla whatever you know what I meant?
>>
>>47975296

Nah, they're just spells. If you take them, you're a necro, if you don't, you're not.

Dividing spells into two camps just resulted in duplication, and a load of crap spells (usually in the Necro line). Shaping Rituals and spell selection are the way to go for deathly flavouring, rather than some metaphysical distinction that's also present in the crunch.
>>
Anyone have any good gods of the north?
I want to do something with that one culture that has a ton of godblooded but I'm not sure.... Well what sort of gods to put there.
>>
>>47980884

horny ones?
>>
>>47975669

Supreme Masterwork Focus x 3, Flawless Handiwork Method x 2, Thousand-Forge Hands, and the Holistic Miracle Understanding tree are only 11 charms. Chuck in Sublime Transference for shifting XP types, and its 13.

With those, you can spam out 3-dot artifacts in a single roll, almost 100% of the time, and get a net gain of 12gxp for each one, factoring in the cost of slots, and the only limit is the amount of xp you have available for creating slots. If you have 26gxp, you can two 3-dot in a few weeks, and end up with 80gxp (if you hit one basic objective), which is enough to do 5 x 3-dots in the next few weeks, which will leave you with 200gxp (with one basic objective - 150gxp without), which is enough to do 14 x 3-dot artifacts in the next few weeks, which will net you 560gxp (420gxp w/o basics), etc, etc.

It's entirely self-sufficient once you get your first artifact made, and ramps up exponentially. The XP-gaining charms are entirely unnecessary if you have sufficient power-enhancing charms.
>>
>>47980906
Hahaha.
No I'm just sort of wondering what sort of gods would make interesting Godblooded? Like I don't want them all to be gods of ice and snow. I feel like that would be expected.
>>
>>47980485

Uh. In 1e Games of Divinity they were Progeny of Second Circle Demons who are various Souls of 3rd Circle Demons. So exactly the same as 2e.
>>
>>47981278

No, literally anyone can create FCDs; the only heritage they can really claim is whoever thought to make that particular species first.

They don't "belong" to their 2CD in the same way a 2CD is a metaphysical part of a 3CD, anymore than a hammer is a part of the craftsman.
>>
File: failingthesensemotive.jpg (193 KB, 647x898) Image search: [Google]
failingthesensemotive.jpg
193 KB, 647x898
>>47980958

A bunch of snow and forest gods in a cold war over which group should be in control of a vast frozen forest. both sides make godblooded whenever they can get away with it to increase their potential forces.

Both sides try to make alliances too, bringing in increasingly tangential godly domains. God of drugs? Well she was brought in by a god of currency, who was brought in by a god of smelting, who was brought in by a god of fire, who was brought in by the gods of the forest offering to allow forest fires more slightly more often if they win. God of seduction? He was brought in by by a god of clothing, who was brought in by a god of pelts, who was brought in by a god of the hunt, who was brought in by the gods of snow offering to cause more sudden snowstorms during hunting season to make hunts more dramatic.

Basically two huge increasingly convoluted factions of gods staring fugging mortals and bribing other gods because shit is gonna get real soonish.
>>
>>47981372
No one has claimed otherwise, you are the one using "belong" he said "for Szoreny". A FCD that Szoreny stemmed originally from Szoreny as it's upper source.

You're just arguing to argue.
>>
>>47981529

Also, if the situation gets resolved by one side or the other winning instead of through eclipse tier negotiation then all those agreements to pull in other gods actually have to be paid off, screwing up a bunch of random domains everywhere which is another story hook all by itself.
>>
>>47981529
I'm actually talking about an existing culture from the north, I am just unsure how to spell it. Those divers with the dolphin reincarnations.... But this does sound like an amazing idea.
>>
How many sons does the Empress have?
>>
>>47982496

Unknown. Maybe a dozen.
>>
>>47982496
How many loaves of bread have you eaten in your life?
>>
So I recall an anon asking a few days ago if anyone had made any Reaper Daiklaves for Single Point style, and basically everyone telling him he was better off looking at forums and the like. Well I had some inspiration for making such a beast and decided what the hell, i'm in a mood to be laughed at. So here is the final product.

Fulminating Luster: Blue Jade Reaper Daiklave (Artifact ••••)
New Cost: Blade Anima = ba

Attunement: The wielder of Fulminating Luster is attuned to the flows of air essence throughout Creation, allowing them to more easily understand the concept of lightning and speed through it. This allows the wielder to easily correct mistakes in their strike. A Solar or Dragonblood attuned to Fulminating Luster who pays two extra motes may reroll two unsuccessful dice on a withering or 1 die on a decisive attack roll.

Gathering Storm Invocation
Cost: -;
Mins: Essence 1
Type: Permanent
Keywords: None
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: None
Perfecting the flows of lightning essence within the blade, the wielder strikes with Fulminating Luster, beginning to gather up the excess essence and power in the air. Each strike more powerful than the last, the sword begins to glow with a blue aura. This is tracked like anima levels an exalt would have. Each time the blade strikes a target, or clashes with another, add 1 point of charge to the blade, to a maximum of 3. At the first level there is merely a feeling of electrical charge in the air, and a faint blue glow that emanates from the blade. At the second the blue aura is much more defined, flowing off the blade and lightning seems to occasionally leap from the blade. At its brightest the blade shines, and lightning flows up and down it, leaping and dancing through the air. Each level of ‘anima’ the blade retains, converts 1 die of post soak damage of a withering attack to an automatic success, at 3 levels of ‘anima’ this converts one die on a decisive attack to an automatic success.
>>
>>47982577

(cont.)

Sating the Storm
Cost: 3m, 1ba;
Mins: Essence 1
Type: Supplemental
Keywords: Dual
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites: Gathering Storm Invocation
Waiting for the opportune moment to unleash the perfect strike is practical, but sometimes unnecessary, the wielder of Fulminating Luster knows this well. For 3 motes, this evocation can be used to drain a level of charge, allowing the wielder to discharge it into their target. This adds 3 or Essence dice, whichever is higher, of additional damage to a withering attack, or (essence/2 minimum 1) to the raw damage of a decisive attack. Only one level of charge may be discharged this way per attack, and if this evocation is used, the wielder does not gain a charge from the attack. This effect stacks with the effect of the remaining levels of blade anima.

Power Draining Strike
Cost: 5m;
Mins: Essence 2
Keywords: Clash
Prerequisites: Sating the Storm
Envisioning the flow of their opponents weapon, the wielder of Fulminating Luster strikes in a perfect counterstrike, seeking to exactly match their opponents power, cancelling their power and taking it for the wielders own. This is a special withering clash, which if successful deals no damage, but instead grants the user a level of anima for their blade.

Lightning Surge
Cost: 5m, 2ba;
Mins: Essence 3
Keywords: Decisive-Only
Prerequisites: Power Draining Strike
Unleashing a wreath of shocking electricity the wielder strikes with Fulminating Luster, bathing their enemy in the wrath of the storm. This supplements a decisive attack, burning away 2 levels of blade anima, (Essence) additional damage on a decisive attack and converts 1 dice to and automatic success for every 4 dice to be rolled, rounded down. Further, every 3 levels of damage dealt inflicts a stacking -1 penalty to the opponents actions for the next 3 rounds after.
>>
>>47982598
Crashing Lightning Strike
Cost: 10m, 1wp, 3ba;
Mins: Essence 4
Keywords: Decisive-Only
Prerequisites: Lightning Surge
Sheathing the blade and concentrating their essence through its overwhelming aura, the user draws and strikes in a single instant with a wave of electrical fury, an afterimage of crackling energy immediately strikes from a mirroring angle in the same instant. This evocation supplements a decisive attack made on an opponent. It attacks the opponent twice before initiative resets and copies all charms used in the original strike, following all the same steps to do so. This attack can only be used once per day, as the blade needs time to rekindle its full power after using it.

I've not yet written up a background for it, but it's usable in game at least. If anyone wants to give me constructive feedback it's appreciated, or just call me a faggot. That works too.
>>
What have you guys been doing for your campaigns with the advent of 3e?

Since I got out of 2.5e a few years ago, moved on to other games, but my old players keep going, "Hey, you remember how the Dawn Caste beat the Dragonblood to death with his own arm? It'd be great to get an Exalted game going again..."

I'm not even sure what kind of campaign that I'd want to do, nor what the setting has changed into...

Has Sijan changed much? I've always wanted to place a campaign there.
>>
>>47981656

There are some good ideas in /exg/ now and again. (and a lot of bad ones.)

On that note, if you have ideas for civilizations or what ever to go in the empty spots on the map, reply to this post with them. Even if you think it is bad, it might be salvageable with more eyes on.
>>
>>47982979

Our first campaign was a bit disjointed, with no real unifying theme. We just ran around the East doing stuff. "Stuff" included restoring the Dragon Kings to sentience, being arrested and dragged into Yu Shan politics for trumped up "Crimes against Heaven", transforming a podunk village into a thriving town and trade hub, and failing to stop the summoning a Third Circle Demon of SWLIHN.

Our second campaign has a bit of a sub-theme of creating a Solar state in the South. Also, the Circle pretty much kicked off the Realm's war of succession through a bit of germ warfare.
>>
>http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/920085-is-single-point-style-overpowered

This thread is pissing me off so much I registered an account, but you can't post without getting approved by an admin, so you guys get to listen to me rant since I'm still not approved.

Single Point isn't overpowered. It's not even overpowered for a cheap buy-in. A Melee character with Excellent Strike, Dipping Swallow Defense, and Hail Shattering Practice has a good chance of beating a Single Point stylist who's invested up to Liquid Steel Flow in a fight at E2. I ran three test combats, Melee with those three, F&S, and OW2B (which turned out to be not useful in that particular matchup) did incredibly well, winning two out of three fights.

Single Point is good. It's damn good. But so are the other Solar Charmsets, and Single Point has a much harder time papering over its faults due to its form weapon/no combo limitations.
>>
>>47983148
My first idea is a relatively young Sorcerer--no idea what type of Exalted--got more than he or she bargained for by summoning a demon, who got loose.

This demon (no idea what kind, save that its a conniving, subtle, and above-all manipulative one) is using the Sorcerer--as it has some sort of hold on him--to kidnap mortals and bring them to it to be mind-fucked into its Cult.

The party gets involved because one of the Sorcerer's minions and some first circles and cultists make the mistake of thinking they are ripe for the kidnapping.
>>
>>47983209

I looked at that thread and could only sigh in terms of idiocy.

Single point pairs very well with Steel Devil, but it runs into the same problems other MA's have. Custom evocations are basically the bread and butter for it.
>>
>>47982577

Gathering Storm: I think the charge should be harder to gain, as this is clearly better than Liquid Steel Flow which is at Essence 2.

Sating the Storm: Post soak or pre-soak?

Power Draining Strike: Why does this exist when its already disgustingly easy to power up the anima?

Lightning Surge: Should cost a willpower. The penalty seems a bit strong but eh they'll likely be dead. Test it and if it proves to be too strong, make the penalty a max of (10-stamina [Or essence in the case of people with fuckoff large stamina scores])

Crashing Lightning Strike: What happens when you use this with the capstone of Shining Point? Do you roll the gambit twice? I assume Liquid Steel Flow remains intact during it

I really like the fluff and this is a good start, but it needs some more work
>>
>>47983209
Did the Single Point user in your tests have any dodge charms?

The flaw in your assessment is that you're assuming a Solar vs Solar fight to see if a cheap buy in for Single point is equivalent to Melee. See which one kills Dragon-Blooded or non-solars quicker with the same purchases.
>>
I know I'm basically preaching to the choir here, but the more I run the numbers, the more things are wrong with the Craft system (I'm converting all xp here to sxp via a low-hanging Craft charm, to keep references sensible).

For instance: a basic project costs no XP to attempt, and generates 3sxp per basic objective.

A major project costs 10sxp to attempt, and rewards the equivalent of 7sxp per basic objective on a success.

A superior project can generate up to 126sxp (although that's unlikely, requiring 100sux on a single roll). However, generating 70sxp is fairly trivial (3-dot artifact in a single roll) for a supernal-Craft, or E3 character with a decent Craft investment.

That is, the really hard part about craft is getting the initial experience - and doing basic projects is better for that purpose than doing major ones. And once you reach a certain minimum threshold (20 - 30sxp) you can pretty much ignore Crafting xp as mechanism, as you'll be rolling in it in no time.
>>
>>47984960
Um, I'm pretty sure the purpose of craft isn't to get crafting XP, it's to get the items you make when you craft
>>
>>47984847
>Gathering Storm: I think the charge should be harder to gain, as this is clearly better than Liquid Steel Flow which is at Essence 2.

Hmm, noted. Perhaps I should make some other mechanic for gathering charge, maybe make it based on doing regular clashes with opponents as well as abusing Power Draining Strike.

>Sating the Storm: Post soak or pre-soak?
Post-soak, will change it in the charm description.

>Power Draining Strike: Why does this exist when its already disgustingly easy to power up the anima?

I felt it adhered to the very offense based style of Single Point, if I change how gathering storm works I think it will play a more integral role.

>Lightning Surge: Should cost a willpower. The penalty seems a bit strong but eh they'll likely be dead. Test it and if it proves to be too strong, make the penalty a max of (10-stamina [Or essence in the case of people with fuckoff large stamina scores])

I'll definitely be doing a lot of testing with this one, I'll add a willpower cost to it as well.

>Crashing Lightning Strike: What happens when you use this with the capstone of Shining Point? Do you roll the gambit twice? I assume Liquid Steel Flow remains intact during it

Yes, you follow all the same steps you would before, meaning if you combine it with Single Points final charm it can backfire. Yes, LSF would remain in tact during.

I'm glad it has potential to someone else as well.
>>
>>47985281

But if Crafting XP doesn't effectively limit the rate at which you can produce the items you make, then what's the point of it as a mechanical system?
>>
>>47985333

Similarly, the point of playing the game isn't to generate XP, but if the XP system went:
1st session: 1xp
2nd session: 1xp
3rd session: 1xp
4th session: 10xp
5th session: 50xp
6th session: 100xp
7th session: 200xp
Well, that'd be a stupid system, too.
>>
>>47985333
It's not supposed to effectively limit. Exalted is a game about playing super powered demigods, it's sort of the assumption that they can just effectively negate barriers most others have to endure with enough effort. So yeah with sublime transference and point generation charms you can basically toss out master piece works of art left and right while normal people have to work very hard to do the same but that's not a bug that's working as intended.
>>
>>47985430

You don't even need point generation charms, but that's beside the point. Why have this excessively complicated subsystem, if the entire point of it is to be removed by the charms? Or, if charms are meant to remove it, why not just have a series of "You no longer require SXP/GXP/WXP" charms, instead of making people math out a system that isn't fulfilling any purpose for them?

If the purpose is to limit mortals, then that's a crap idea - adding that amount of complexity to someone that isn't supposed to be limited, just so a hypothetical other character *is* limited is just bad design. If a system doesn't materially affect a character, they shouldn't interact with that system - there should be a "crafting for mortals" section in a artifact book somewhere, not part of the mainline system.
>>
>>47985292
Sorry, sating the storm was in fact, raw damage. I goofed.
>>
>>47985531
I suppose that's the game part of the role-playing game. People want systems to interact with to do the things they want to do. If a person wants to play a craftsmen then they're also going to want a system to go with it that mechanically represents them making stuff, and rewards them for making things that meaningfully impact the game.
>>
Is it feasible to make a low-dex character who is anything other than a net liability in combat?
>>
>>47985531
Presumably the other Exalted won't be able to craft as well
>>
>>47985613
> People want systems to interact with to do the things they want to do.
You can have a craft system without craft XP - like every other system in the game

> If a person wants to play a craftsmen then they're also going to want a system to go with it that mechanically represents them making stuff, and rewards them for making things that meaningfully impact the game.

Except they don't get it. The Craft XP has nothing to do with mechanically representing them making stuff (that's the extended Craft roll), and it's far easier to get rewarded for making things fast than for makings things that meaningfully impact the game - the XP reward for remaining intervals outpaces the reward for basic objectives pretty much as soon as you can make artifacts.
>>
>>47985653

Even so, having a core rule that the only characters playing out of the core book are not supposed to interact with is crap - particularly with the game, and Craft in particular, already being crunchy as hell; it's a needless burden.

But it's not only that - it's also the fact that the Craft charms that interact with that also become worthless. Really, there's no point in buying any of the Craft XP generation charms, because the "roll better" Craft charms will generate more Craft XP than you can use anyway.

The real problem is that you need to math out the whole Craft mechanic before you realise that Craft XP is not a limitation, and that the whole "XP generator" tree is a massive trap for anyone that's investing significantly in Craft.
>>
>>47985531
It's to limit anyone not solar, basically. I really doubt anyone else will get so many point gen charms.

Yes, it's stupid and retarded. Welcome to Morke and Holden.
>>
>>47985719

Nah, you don't even *NEED* point gen charms. It's the power charms, which let you hit 50+ sux on a single roll fairly reliably, combined with the Craft XP for leftover intervals rule, which deliver scads of XP. The point gen tree is a trap - investing in the power tree gives more XP than you'll ever need, AND faster/better Crafting.
>>
>>47985776
Yeah, well again, all other exalts are likely to have castrated power trees too.
>>
>>47985333
In my experience it's to actually have people crafting non artifact things. In 2e since there was no limit on when you could craft what people basically never made anything that wasn't an artifact. Like you point out if you can reliably make artifacts in few roles you don't have to anyways, but at least that's a thing you work up to and not the baseline.
>>
>>47985841

But it fails even more at that, because it makes casual crafting *harder*, and doesn't limit artifact creation. The only time you're really limited by XP is if you haven't made any artifacts yet - so either an artificer at the very start of their career, or a dabbler. The dabbler gets frustrated by never having enough Craft XP to do low-end projects, while his artificer buddy has bucketloads.

This is especially frustrating, as the dabbler is likely to be doing more flavourful things than the guy with artifact-diarrhoea (he's probably only using his Craft when it comes up in the course of the story), but the system holds him back from doing them.
>>
>>47985792

That doesn't make the Solar point-gen charms any less of a trap, or make the mathiness required to keep track of Crafting XP that's largely irrelevant to you any less tiresome.
>>
File: 1432412990740.jpg (24 KB, 736x402) Image search: [Google]
1432412990740.jpg
24 KB, 736x402
Okay, is there any way to mechanically represent Time Stop as a spell or ability without it being hilariously broken?

Exalted seems like the perfect setting to set up The World or Star Platinum.
Really, any of the time and space related stands would be really cool character concepts: The Hand, Crazy Diamond, King Crimson if you really hate your GM, some sort of nerfed version of Stairway to Heaven, or D4C would be awesome PCs.
>>
File: scepter.png (366 KB, 743x354) Image search: [Google]
scepter.png
366 KB, 743x354
>>47978295
Nope. The scepter kills.
>>
is there a non-shitty pdf of the 1e core?
>>
>>47983148
I wanted to make a union of states in the north east of creation, somewhere between Icehome Rubylak and Chanta.

I was going to take inspiration from 10th century Kievan Rus, with the rulers of the states having seniority succession in place before the game started...

What do you guys think? What could I put in there that would be interesting?
>>
>>47986027
Make an evocation series or charm tree where the capstone lets you spend initiative to reflexively activate various parts of the tree? Possibly also gives you a bunch of phantom init that can only be spent on this. That should keep it out of broken at least, since you can check every part for terrible interactions.

>>47986455
The usual: neighboring powers should include a Deathlord proxy state, a Realm proxy state, a Lunar proxy state, and a fey court, so that everything can be appropriately ready to go to hell at a moment's notice. :-)
>>
>>47986649
I was thinking of having the Realm share a place with the Linowa, since it's pretty fucking far from their HQ and the Linowa are a more local threat -if not as big as the realm power-wise.
>>
>>47986455
This is kinda a "depends on the setting" thing, it's easier for people to provide interesting ideas if you have some hooks in place already to hang them on. So lemme ask some questions instead: How old are the states, how large is the family tree of these seniority rulers? What's the religion, are they still Vikinglike worshippers of a local Ahlat-expy, have they been approached by any sort of missionaries to expy-Christianize them, how common is the Immaculate faith? What goods do they export? (Arts? Crafts? Ores and timber? Rare elements? Violence?) How large are families? (Extended/nuclear?) Who counts as family? How and when does a child achieve adulthood - by age, by graduation, by event, by omen? What does a foreigner have to do to get some respect here? Do the injured scream "Cleric" or "Medic"? Somewhat more seriously, if I have a supernatural disease around here, who do I go to? (king, church, sorcerer, healing spring...?)
>>
>>47986789
Hell, just use this: https://lurkerablog.wordpress.com/2011/10/02/answering-jeffs-questions-in-a-southeast-asian-pirates-game/

20 questions to help detail a setting, and that page has two great examples of answer sets which aren't a pile of dead horses and cliches.
>>
>>47986789
>How old are the states, how large is the family tree of these seniority rulers?
The three states are 300 years old. The family tree is fairly large for the state that is the nearest to the realm -something like eight, nine sons for the current ruler and five-six for the second one while the last one has three or four.
> What's the religion, are they still Vikinglike worshippers of a local Ahlat-expy, have they been approached by any sort of missionaries to expy-Christianize them, how common is the Immaculate faith?
The one south-west will probably be mostly of the immaculate faith, whereas the other two will have mixed religions of the local gods.
>What goods do they export?
They export metals(some rare), marble and furs. And maybe some freshwater fish to Icehome...
>How large are families?
Nuclear families: they come all from the same dynasty, but they are all aiming to unify the states into one big kingdom for their own family.
>Who counts as family?
Now, up to cousins thrice removed.
>How and when does a child achieve adulthood - by age, by graduation, by event, by omen?
They reach adulthood by age, on their sixteenth birthday for the two non-immaculate states and on their twenty-fifth birthday they are declared prince (if son of the current ruler or pretenders) and commanders (if they are siblings of the princes). The latter because the ruler of the immaculate state is a terrestrial exalted.
>What does a foreigner have to do to get some respect here?
Defeating a raiding party of the Linowa is definitely a feat worthy of respect. Or dealing with some of the Lunars that are messing with the immaculate state is also something that they would find worthy of respect.
>Somewhat more seriously, if I have a supernatural disease around here, who do I go to?
Immaculate monks, Priest or shamans if you are in the other states.

>>47986845
Thank you anon: this will help me flesh out my setting nicely.
>>
>>47983274
>This demon (no idea what kind, save that its a conniving, subtle, and above-all manipulative one)
>mind-fucked into its Cult.

Just use Erembour already. 100% Ebon Dragon approved.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.