[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Submarine Combat Game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: skipjack.jpg (39 KB, 564x374) Image search: [Google]
skipjack.jpg
39 KB, 564x374
Does anyone have a game suggstion for submarine combat?
>>
File: Sub Battle1.png (1 MB, 1049x1024) Image search: [Google]
Sub Battle1.png
1 MB, 1049x1024
>>47950805
Harpoon 3
Good Luck
>>
>>47950864
I was running the Victor III in that game. We ended it 2 turns after I popped my 2 ASROC's, judging by the picture I they would have tracked (1nmi. search radius from impact location, picture looks to be from 1 or 2 turns before the launch).
Of course we both had fish in the water after that, as he had a solid hit on my location at time of launch, and I had a bearing based on his evasion of incoming missiles and the passive lock I achived with a really lucky roll early on.
>>
File: Untitled4.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Untitled4.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>47951411
That was a really fun game, intense but fun!

I would play harpoon again any time.

This is the latest screenshot I have of that game...
>>
>>47950805
As a wargame or as a roleplaying game?
>>
>>47950805
Vidya or tabletop? I know, stupid question, but I don't actually know of any good tabletop sub games. Vidya, though, definitely Silent Hunter 3 with GWX. That game/mod combo is one of the best I've played.
>>
>>47952623
What's the same level of detail as Harpoon but for ground? Totally interested in groggy tabletop military sims.
>>
>>47950805
https://ospreypublishing.com/they-come-unseen

cold war hunter killer type stuff, quiet good
>>
Ground has a lot of sims. TOAW is more abstract and kinda old.

Maybe SPMBT or SPWW2? Or do you want actual, physical games?
>>
>>47954271
Fistful of TOWs is pretty damn good.

Challenger 2000 is probably the most Harpoon like system I can think of, but FFofT is way superior in my book, despite being a bit simpler.
>>
>>47952623
Well, intesense is putting it strongly, the first hour or so was just slow cruising trying to pick up a passive contact.
And it does look like my SS-N-16's would get him. I mean, they're only 400mm each, but being able to launch ASROC's from the sub was just crazy. I had like a 100nmi range on those things. If I had any kind of buoy contact out that far, I could have ended the game turn 2 (well, probably turn 4, as you have to account for speed of everything and I would have tried to bracket the contact at that range rather than a direct hit).

>>47954271
South Atlantic War II, Second Edition from Admiralty Triology (The guys who own Harpoon4) has ground combat rules. Don't know how good they are.
>>
I'll mention Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations in here. For those who don't know it's the literal successor to Harpoon (it's made by old-school Harpoon scenario editors.) Steam sale is on right now so you can get it at a sane price.

The simulation quality is as good as anything publicly sourced can possibly be, IMO. The real good thing is the dev team; they are extremely active and release huge, significant feature updates at a rapid pace.
>>
>>47957842
PLayed it. Took some US Freedom clas LCS boats. Got my ass handed to me by a chinese frigate.
10/10
>>
>>47958062

Was that the South China Clash scenario? First time I played it the Hellfires on the ships didn't work due to a bug. That's since been fixed. The surface duel comes out a lot more even once those work. They might have small warheads but they almost all hit, unlike cannon shells.

(Also there was a bug at the time that caused gunfire to always spread to the maximum possible error probable regardless of range. They fixed that, and even added in a bracketing/salvo effect where shells get more accurate the longer you are firing.)
>>
>>47958238

Still, that scenario nicely demonstrates why they're scrambling to put actual weapons on the LCS. The Naval Strike Missile has already been deployed, and RIMPAC is kicking off, like, this week, and an LCS there will be firing the newest Harpoon mod the Boeing people are pitching.
>>
>>47952623
wait is there a prebuilt module for roll20?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.