[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you read whole pdfs in front of your screen? I suck at it,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Do you read whole pdfs in front of your screen? I suck at it, my eyes hurt and is just not the same as reading in my bed.

Any tips for it?

Also is hard to DM with a virtual manual? And not the physical corebook
>>
bamp
>>
>>47937277
I read on my laptop in bed a lot, lay it on my belly. I just don't get eye strain. I never have.

virtual manuals are the shit, especially hyperlinked ones with search functions. I had everything in 3rd ed (3.0) memorized, but haven't played much D&D since then.
>>
>>47937277
My screens are never somewhere between 3 and 5 feet away, which seems to help me. (The 3 foot one pushed back to the far end of my kitchen table. The 5 foot one to the left of my bed, about as far down as my ankles. Well, that's the big screen. My laptop, itself, provides the other screen and it's more like knee-distant, but it's secondary. Anything I'm really focused on is going to be on my big monitor.)

If you were talking about novels, I'd say to get a reader with e-ink, because that reads pretty much like a book, but a Paperwhite (or whatever) sucks for PDFs.
>>
>>47937793
>My screens are never somewhere between 3 and 5 feet away
--always between 3 and 5 feet away, that is
>>
>>47937738
yeah i think i'll go with that, a normal notebook on my belly

>>47937793
yup i have a kindle but for RPGs it sucks a lot. I'll try to read not so near the screen then, thanks!
>>
I've done whole rulebooks and the like on my phone. Ain't brilliant, but if it's what I have available...

It'd be a major pain in the ass to try and use that for actual play though. A physical book is what you want there, though you can make do with less, especially if playing online.
>>
>>47937277
I read both on my PC and phone. It's more comfortable on phone despite smaller screen since it has better contrast/colors.
>>
>>47937277

I read them on my phone, during dead times. It ensures you always have something to do while in queue, for example

DMing with a virtual manual is possible, but it is better to do it with a physical one
>>
>>47937277
Just get a proper tablet that you can have all your pdf files on and read them on.

Just set the brightness according to where and when you're reading, bright during the day, low as fuck at night with the lights out.

I read like a book a week on tablet and I never have any eyestrain problems .

And DMing with a virtual manual is great if you're doing it online, everything is searchable, you don't have to root through piles of notes and book stacks etc.

It's a little off-putting to have a laptop in front of you if you're role-playing irl though. But a tablet with a nice cover is way less on the nose.
>>
File: Gaston can't read this.jpg (75 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
Gaston can't read this.jpg
75 KB, 600x429
>>47937277
>reading pdfs on your screen
>not the same as reading in bed
Laptop master-race reporting in. Reading pdfs in bed is great, and I'm not constantly dropping it on the floor like so many tablet-users.

I have no problem reading pdfs. Maybe because like 80% of my waking hours are spent in front of a screen, but still.

Looking up rules in a PDF is so fucking fast too. Either control+F it directly, or skip to the table of contents if that doesn't work. Plus, it's so much lighter and takes less space than dragging a bunch of books to the session. I see it as a straight-up superior option compared to normal books.
>>
File: Anchorman.gif (996 KB, 400x260) Image search: [Google]
Anchorman.gif
996 KB, 400x260
>Be me
>Be me making a character ahead of time before a game when DM tells us to due to wanting us prepared, or be me being the DM and planning things out.
>be me sitting on the bed surrounded by manuals, notebooks and clipboards.
>mfw I discover pdfs for the books I use for such things. (pic related)
>be me sitting at the computer with pdfs open and still surrounded by open books for same thing.
>Nothing changed, only the location.
>>
>>47937277
I read on Kindle. Works fine. Usually I read in landscape mode, cuts pages in two neatly.
Sometimes on tablet, but that's rarer.
On the computer only when I want to look up things with a quick ctrl+f.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.