[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5e general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 19
File: Winding Down.jpg (64 KB, 736x547) Image search: [Google]
Winding Down.jpg
64 KB, 736x547
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

>General question:
So tell me, whats the longest hiatus your group has ever taken from playing a session without completely breaking apart? Atm my group is hitting week 4 as of tomorrow. As of right now, we have plans to resume July 1st.
>>
File: 1460767307677.jpg (5 MB, 3261x2161) Image search: [Google]
1460767307677.jpg
5 MB, 3261x2161
If I'm a gnome wizard and reduce myself to size tiny, what is the best small size creature I could use as a mount, That could still support my reduced weight of 5 to 15 lbs?
>>
>>47931604
A giant rat would be your best option for something you could easily tame, but best in general is hard to say. I guess it would depend on what all you want it to do.
>>
>>47931359
How is the Helmed Horror not a TPK, even for a 4th level party?

With point-buy and optimal stats, the players are going to have at most +6 to hit, which means they'll have to roll 14 to hit the damn thing at all

This is BEFORE the resistance to non magical weapons AND TO MAGIC

I want to unleash this thing on my party, but come on it almost seems too cruel
>>
>>47933808

It's not that good. I'd recommend avoiding it because it's sloggy, not because it's OP.

Using the chart on page 274 (monster statistics by challenge rating) we can see it's 20AC is literally off the charts. That's pretty phenomenal. Advantage on saving throws against magic is good but that great given that it has *no* mental stat bonuses at all and only a +1 on dex. In light of that it's status immunity that looks OP on first glance is actually absolutely necessary to keep it from getting 1 hit by anything on that list.

It's real weaknesses are its other stats. 60HP is CR1/2 level and it's damage per turn is 16 (assuming flat damage and using shield, which was needed to get to 20AC) which puts it on part damage wise with a CR2 creature. That's assuming both attacks hit and its target has no physical or slashing resistance.

Furthermore, all its damage is focused on its longsword. If disarmed or otherwise deprived of said equipment its damage will drop further: 10 if the DM rules it gets to keep using multiattack with unarmed damage for a CR1 equivalency. 5 if the DM rules it's version of multiattack required the longsword for a CR1/4 equivalency, or 0 if the DM rules that all its attack actions specifically required the longsword.

Put a bookmark there because it's a great "chump" blocker if you need a monster capable of blocking paths or staling for time, like covering the BBEG's retreat or making a room-filling trap an extra headache. As a solo, though, it's a total waste of time. You make too many rolls that won't hit but when one does hit it will blow away 25--50% of the monsters HP all at once for a long, uninteresting fight.
>>
>>47934784
thanks senpai great post

i will put it in my trap room and think no more of it

(if the players shut off the trap well, they shut off the helmed horror too)
>>
>>47935097

You're welcome. Happy gaming.
>>
How playable is the "armor as DR" variant rule? does it gimp natural AC too hard? do unarmored classes benefit or slump passed a certain level?

to give context, I'm just reading through the base books while preparing a campaign planned for a few months ahead, but I wanted a general consensus and my players are fairly new from 3.pf and DR always managed to elude my lower level games.
>>
>>47931359
For a single campaign? About 6 weeks.
For a single campaign interrupted by a smaller mini-campaign while one of our players got stuff sorted? 3 months or so.
For a break between campaigns? 5 months.
>>
>>47934784

They also fly

Fuck im creating these things en masse when I get true Polymorph
>>
>>47931604
house-cat-mounted tiny gnome wizard
>>
File: 5e_EE_Genasi_Air.png (1 MB, 1109x756) Image search: [Google]
5e_EE_Genasi_Air.png
1 MB, 1109x756
>>47936625
>>47936627
Thanks, fellas.

That feature becomes much less desirable under the Gritty Realism rest variant, doesn't it?
>>
>>47931604
>If I'm a gnome wizard and reduce myself to size tiny, what is the best small size creature I could use as a mount, That could still support my reduced weight of 5 to 15 lbs?

I appreciate your inclusion of 120/8 = 15lbs
>>
How would you fix beastmaster so it doesn't suck?
>>
>>47936743
Give the beastmaster invocations: ranger edition that benefit the pet/pet-ranger complex.
>>
>>47936712
Yep. Earth Genasi in general don't get very good benefits.
>>
>>47936712
Well I rate pass without trace really high up on the list of useful spells and it buffs your whole party so idk. It's still pretty good.
>>
>>47931359

Had a group go eight weeks without meeting, but it was a bi-weekly group to begin with so it wasn't that bad.
>>
So I'm trying to work on a homebrew setting, but I keep getting overwhelmed by how many different things D&D has going on from the default setting assumptions.

Would it be considered bad form to get rid of some casting classes or otherwise alter them to fit with a more unified idea? I don't like the thought of having to justify 9 different ways that people can use magic in the setting along with everything else.
>>
>>47936911
well dont forget you can also generalize it. fluff up druids and rangers getting magic the same way, same with clerics and pallys, force paladins to worshop a god.

that being said, its going to be up to you and your players. you can limit a shitton, but if you know "johnny has been talking about wanting a lock" you might hit a wall banning locks

you can do alot with just fluff though. sure bards and wizards learn magic differently, but fluffing tricksters like bards, and EK's like wizards reduces how people cast
>>
>>47936712
I think Meld With Stone or whatever would be a better fit than PwT honestly.
>>
>>47931359
Longest hiatus was 2 months while I studied for the bar exam.
>>
>>47936911
>Would it be considered bad form to get rid of some casting classes or otherwise alter them to fit with a more unified idea?
no thats totally fine
>>
>>47933808
>the players are going to have at most +6 to hit, which means they'll have to roll 14 to hit the damn thing at all
Sounds pretty easy to hit. 20 AC isn't a big deal. Looking at the MM page, it only has 60 hit points too.
I note that the magic resistance only applies to save effects, not attack roll spells, and it doesn't have resistance to elemental damage. Scorching Ray comes to mind as a good choice.
A 4th level party should be able to take it down without much trouble, especially if there's only the one enemy. Just mash Attack and never let up, use healing if someone is KO'd, which is unlikely since it only has pathetic longsword attacks.
>>
>>47936981
>longsword
>pathetic
katana fags >>>/out/
>>
>>47936981
AC 20 is pretty hard for a lvl 4 party to break, roughly a 35% chance, 40% with magic weapons. It's HP may not be massive but it does have resistance to nonmagic weapons and is immune to force, necrotic, and poison, plus its immune to pretty much all crippling debuff conditions and advantage vs all spells with saves. Pretty much the fight would boil down to a slow grindfest where the party wails on it and hits half the time, and then it would make its two attacks and then the cycle repeats. If its a dungeon boss, it's nothing too bad to worry about. If its an obstacle on the wat to a dungeon boss, it can eat away at a lot of your resources if you get unlucky.

Also that force / necrotic immunity makes it a perfect warlock counter, so if you have a small party with a warlock fighting it, the fight gets a lot harder.
>>
>>47928812
>>47928828
>have them instead just gain more and more slots of a single level

Okay hold up, so were talking a shit ton of low level spell slots? Isn't that kind of fail with action economy? still limited to 1 spell per turn, and its going to be a low level spell at that. It'd also be hard to pull off a counterspell in that way.

>>47932718
How is this for an early level elemental companion?

Small Shadow Elemental
Armor Class 13
Hit Points: 4d10
Speed: Fly 50 ft. (hover)
STR6
DEX16
CON10
INT6
WIS10
CHA10
Damage Vulnerabilities: Radiant
Damage Resistances: cold, necrotic, physical from nonmagical weapons
Damage Immunities: poison
Condition Immunities: exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed,petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses: blindsight 60 ft.
Languages: primordial
Incorporeal Movement: The elemental can move through other creatures and objects as if they were difficult terrain.
Actions.
Slam: Melee +5, 1d4+3 slashing + 1d4 cold
Shadow Mastery: while elemental and its target are in area of dim light or darkness, it has advantage on attack rolls. If elemental is in bright light, it has disadvantage on attack rolls.
>>
>>47936942
I kind of figured that Rangers/Druids and Paladins/Clerics were already using similar sources.

I'm more concerned with having 4 different types of arcane casting. Sorcerers and Warlocks already feel like plenty, but Wizards and Bards on top of that gets overwhelming.
>>
>>47937232
Wizards and Bards both study for their magic.

Warlock depends on if there's powerful non-divine entities that would be willing to make contracts and grant spells.

Sorcerer can come from a lot of different places.
>>
>>47936911
Does it really matter whether you get your magic from your blood or a god or a giant octopus-faced man? Everyone still follows the same spellcasting rules.
>>
>>47937232
its easy to assume, and rangers/druids specifically can work together in the fluff easily, but they specifically mention druids "worship" nature
rangers "worship" nature by following nerds around and killing jerks, and petting their fluffy pet badger at night. Not by stripping naked in the woods and doing circle jerk rituals to some ents

that being said, if you really really had to shorten the "types" of magic, but not remove classes i would say
cleric/druid
druid/ranger
wizard/EK
bard/rogue/sorc
lock
druids, rangers, clerics, paladins, AND locks are all "given" their spells by something
wizards and EK have to learn shit, and spend time perfecting it
bards, rogues, and sorcers all really get by on natural talents in some form or another

it doesn't all work, obviously rogues are more like EK than bards, and EK are obviously like wizards, but fluff wise, i feel like those can be broke down that way
>>
>>47937194
That was sort of my idea. Consider if the shadowcaster gradually worked its way up to around 9 level 1 spell slots each day. This isn't much different than the number of spells a mid-level caster would be using, so action economy is fine. Rather, the biggest difference is that all the effects would be more basic. This means they'd be more effectively used for utility spells.

Then, they'd be more reliant on using Mysteries to get a handful of uses of certain higher level spells each day.

I'll admit, its a bit off the wall, but I think it'd be a good way to help set it apart from the warlock.

As for the elemental, that seems a bit more tame in the damage and health department. Blindsight and phasing through objects are both quite handy though.

I'd also suggest that no matter what, you make sure to add some Mysteries for options to boost the companion for that subclass.
>>
Pass without Trace (Flat +10)
Stealth Proficiency/Expertise (Limit [2x]ProfBonus)
Dexterity Modifier (Limit +5)

Are there any other features that grant static bonuses to Stealth?
>>
>>47937281
It matters when I'm the one coming up with the setting. The existence of a class that gets powers from a giant octopus man means I'm responsible for figuring out how to stick a giant octopus man into the world and have it make sense.

>>47937247
Yeah. I get the general breakdown, its just a matter of finding space.

>>47937297
I think I'll try something like that, attempting to condense the fluff of some of these classes so they're more shared. What >>47937247 mentioned about the fact that Bards and wizard both study and have schools/colleges I think is a good example.
>>
>>47937331
Luckstone would give +1 to stealth, and all other skill checks.

Cloak/boots of elvenkind give advantage on stealth checks. Cloak also gives disadvantage to perception checks to spot the wearer.

Other than that, I cant think of anything.
>>
>>47937331
no but theres plenty of ways to add dice rolls to your stealth check
>>
>>47937331
I think ranger's Hide in Plain Sight adds another +10... as long as you don't move.

>>47937188
My 4th level party fought a Roper (20 AC, 102 HP) and 2 Guard Drakes and I was surprised at how quickly they took it down. After seeing how hard it was to hit the thing and how dangerous it's bite was, they played smart and used Magic Missile, Bardic Inspiration and Guiding Bolt to turn the table. They even remembered they had Inspiration!
>>
>>47936743
I'm playing a houseruled Ranger at the moment, works pretty well and I'm keeping up with other classes.

Quite simply, Rangers get both the hunter and beast-master archetypes, they are both kind of bad so together you end up with an actually okay class. Additionally Beast companion get death saving throws akin to players.

Our GM also is going to let Rangers, Paladins and Barbarians get Extra attack (2) at level 13.
>>
>>47936743
x6 ranger level HP instead of x4, add proficiency bonus to save DCs of its abilities, its attacks becoming magical with the 7th-level feature, and it attacks creatures it's commanded to attack until told to stop or until the creature is dead.

Simple and very effective in my own games.
>>
>>47937331
>>47937377
Thanks, there are a few things that give those sweet advantages.
Thief's Supreme Sneak (Advantage with halved movement speed)

And another static
Hide in Plain Sight (Flat +10 drop movement speed to 0 and don't take any actions or reactions)

HiPS isn't really worth considering though because it's kind of shitty. But if you want a build with the highest stealth bonus on paper, you're going to go Rogue1/Rangerx for HiPS. Not considering magic items/boons.

>Stealth proficiency/expertise: +12
>Pw/oT: +10
>20 Dexterity: +5
>HiPS: +10
Total bonus of +37
Max possible roll of +57

If the party is helping out, we can throw some bardic inspiration (1d12), guidance, and bless. With the party helping, we get:
1d20+1d12+2d4+37
Max roll: 77

If we wanted to make that roll happen for certain, we could have a divination wizard help out with portent 20s and cross fingers for the inspiration, bless, and guidance.

What sort of stealth checks would merit a DC 77?
>>
>>47937564
Oh, and Beast gets 3 death-saving throws, like players do.
>>
>>47937578
Hiding your existence from an omniscient being.
>>
>>47937578
Sorry, I guess the question I meant to ask was

What sort of stealth check to hide without moving would merit a DC 77?
>>
>>47937578
>What sort of stealth checks would merit a DC 77?
with a reasonable DM? nothing that a 57 couldnt do, or likely nothing a 30 couldn't do
>>
Ok tomorrow I am going to run a Halfling Lore Bard SOLELY because the Gourmand feat lets me make a character thats traveling the world for the perfect ingredients form dangerous monsters .Its going to be a side thing to our main game which is lv11 so I can go a little batshit with this character and im thinking of a good creature to use Awaken on to work as my faithful mount maybe Eberron style and a dinosaur.Does anyone have any cool ideas that I could use to spruce this guy up? I havent played a Bard yet and im jumping into a fairly high level game and im unsure of all the tricks. Rule of cool applies
>>
>>47937646
make him a halfling bard.... BARBARIAN XD
>>
>>47937661
lolz omg so random xD
>>
>>47937592
what would an omniscient being's passive perception be?
>>
>Want to play as an illusionist
>Realize I have the on-the-fly imagination of a brick

Dammit
>>
One of my players rolled the following trinket:
>"A purple handkerchief embroidered with the name of a powerful archmage."
I'm at a bit of a loss on how to work with this. She's a bard and the archmage is supposedly her fan. What can I do so that he shows how much of a fan he is without having to shower the party with magic items? Maybe he's a bit crazy?
>>
File: 1465287785676.jpg (108 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1465287785676.jpg
108 KB, 500x377
>>47937699
just make an illusion of you having good on-the-fly imagination
>>
File: CgeIMbVXEAAt961.jpg (17 KB, 448x127) Image search: [Google]
CgeIMbVXEAAt961.jpg
17 KB, 448x127
>>47937755
make him give them "powerful" magic items, but hes senile and they all don't work or are more trouble than they are worth, a fact the party can only find out after using them. also make them really weird.
>>
>>47937755
The magical items are all just really lewd fetish stuff.
>>
>>47937755
Maybe he just doesn't specialize in making magic items? Have him offer to make basic potions or something, but otherwise maybe he just has a different field of focus.
>>
>>47937298
>9 level 1 spell slots each day

Funny you say that, the old shadowcaster did exactly that. 3 uses per mystery per day of 3rd level and lower spells once it reached lvl 13.

Alright, so 1+1spell known per level, with 1 casting per spell per day, up until 7th level, then that is increased to 2 castings per spell of 3rd level and lower per day.
>>
>>47937850
Yeah, something like that could work. The exact numbers could be fiddled with until you find something that feels right, but I think it's a good basis for a system to make it feel like a distinct class.
>>
File: 1425433173345.png (151 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1425433173345.png
151 KB, 400x300
>>47937755
Archmage of divination.
He's never missed one of her performances. He doesn't intend to, whether she likes it or not.
>>
>>47937959
By performance, he means showers.
>>
>>47937780
Problem is, the party also has a wizard and she never forgets to cast Identify.

>>47937798
>>47937825
That... could work. Consumable magic items are nice, and I could throw in some permanent weird ones.

>>47937959
I love this. I'll write it down so I don't forget it.
>>
>>47938009
>Problem is, the party also has a wizard and she never forgets to cast Identify.
make them so powerful and yet weird (archmage remember) that her identify identifies one of the abilities of the item, but perhaps not the drawbacks. or perhaps the items arent even so much "magic items" as they are just weird items hes collected through his planar travels.
>>
>>47938024
Any ideas of cool/fun weird items? Maybe some site with lots of examples of those?
>>
File: 1465165559515.jpg (663 KB, 1632x2326) Image search: [Google]
1465165559515.jpg
663 KB, 1632x2326
Has anyone used the honor ability score variant in the dmg in a campaign? I'm weirdly attracted to it (and it potential increasing or decreasing at the end of every session depending on how honorable a player was) but I don't really know why.
It wouldn't be for a not Japan or not Asia campaign either.
Or any stories about non-sanity alt ability scores would be cool too.
>>
>>47937661
not even joking, someone in an upcoming game wants to make a bardbarian.
we start at level 1, so being a "bardbarian" is at least off the table for a session or two
>>
>>47937755
the powerful magical items only do the "fluff" cantrips of each class
thamaturgy, druidcraft, ect
>>
>>47938088
>im a retard
he sends those cantrip items because she can use them to improve her showmanship.
booming voice, pyrotechnics, pleasing smells in shitty parts of town, slightly more temperate climate
>>
>>47938107
>>47938088
>presditation for pyrotechnic sparks, slight backing notes and fancy lighting
>light in bullseye lanterns for spotlights
>dancing lights for colored mobile stage lighting
>thamaturgy for booming voice and a dimmer switch on the room for slow songs
>druidcraft for confetti
>minor illusion for chorus and extra applause
>mage hand... because i cant think of a reason for mage hand that minor illusion couldn't do
dew it
>>
Does anyone have Legacy of the Crystal Shard?
I've got a buddy of mine who is interested in playing D&D for the first time because he came across The Icewind Dale trilogy. Id like to get him started on familiar ground for his first delve into it and a couple of other people in the group showed interest in playing it as well, if not only to perhaps go toe to toe with ever loathed Drizzt
>>
>>47938338
>tfw when my group kind of already does this
>Bard singing, playing and using Minor Illusion for small fireworks and sparks
>Cleric using Thaumaturgy for drums and other special effects
>Wizard directing the animal she summons from the Bag of Tricks
>Fighter doing cool stuff, like wrestling with said animal when it was a lion
>Rogue being all acrobatic and shit

I have a fun party.
>>
Well, tonight was my first 5e game, ran by a friend of mine. His first time too, in fact first for all of us. It was fun, but I get the feeling the CR system works waaaaay differently than in 3.5 or 4e.

Two 1/2 CR and three 1/8 CR dudes nearly wiped the four of us out, for example. Three people dropped, the only reason the ranger didn't was because he was perched where the other dudes couldn't reach, and pelted them with arrows until they died.
>>
>>47938474
>but I get the feeling the CR system works waaaaay differently than in 3.5 or 4e.
well it says so in the book. JUST those two cr 1/2 dudes would have been an accurate fight
>>
>>47938474
Tell your friend to use http://kobold.club when planning encounters. It'll make the accidental TPK more unlikely.
>>
>>47938510
>http://kobold.club
>>47938516

Hmm. That would make the 8 CR 1/8 dudes from an earlier fight... ah... much more deadly.

Dang, well, newbies gonna n00b, I guess! Time to do better next time.
>>
>>47938557
the problem isn't really the monsters specific difficulty. this time around, monsters are a little less... pushovery? i guess. even weak things do alright damage, so basically every turn those cr 1/2-1/8 people got 5 attacks. a single monster with similar difficulty would get one, maybe two, and only do twice as much damage tops.
that and one enemy can be locked down, 5 enemies really cant. one guy gets focus fired down, it takes bare minimum five separate attacks to take down the crowd.

at level one though, everyone is more frail than they really should be. a badly timed crit can absolutely kill a level 1 character at full health, with no save. they're just dead
>>
>>47938601
Yeah, the DM dropped the cleric to -11, when his HP was 11. He was merciful and decided to call a mulligan and only maim him, since this was his first time and he hasn't really grokked the balance yet.
>>
Hey, so first time in a D&D game since 3rd edition, went well played a wizard. we'll be doing a full campaign next and i wanted to try out the warlock to keep the magic but get in the middle of combat up close.

What would you suggest for building a warlock front line fighter?
>>
>>47939098
oh and one more thing, the GM said were using any books we suggest to him. but all i know of is the core books (player and GM guide)
>>
File: Snow Maiden.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Snow Maiden.pdf
1 B, 486x500
R8 and H8 my Snow Maiden monster.

Also BREXIT
>>
Are there new monster manuals besides the first one?
>>
>>47936911
There comes a point of homebrewing where it's more trouble to force in typical D&D expectations than it is to just use a different system. Think about what using D&D is actually doing for your setting.
>>
>>47939098
There's an invocation that let's you cast False Life at will, I forget what it's called.

Would probably be handy for a Warlock that plans on getting hit a lot.
>>
>>47939120
Exhaustion as a mode of attack is not a good idea.

>>47939128
No.
>>
>>47939709
explain why
>>
>>47939098
There are 3 ways to build a melee warlock that I know: heavy armor with polearm, sword and board untouchable dexlock and suicide warlock

Heavy armor lock relies on either first level of a heavy armor class or starting as dwarf and taking heavily armored at lv4, then you grab a polearm and polearm master for great lv11 damage, works with any patron

Untouchable sword and board takes shield prof at 4 and pumps dex to max, with mage armor invocation, take GOO patron for imposing disadvantage on enemy attacks

Suicidelock relies on getting hit and returning the damage with stuff like fire shield, hellish rebuke and armor of agathys. Works best as a fiendlock

Aneat trick to do in general is casting darkness on your weapon and taking devil's sight to always attack with advantage and be hit at disadvantage, combine with sword and board GOOlock for the scariest motherfucker in the room
>>
>>47939128
Volo's guide out in october, kind of a mix of MM2 and PHB2
>>
>>47931359
If they're still cutting vegetables for the stew, that shit won't be ready for hours. They shouldn't be handing out plates already.
>>
>>47940015

A good point, but you think they might be using the plates for the blackened fish they're about to make? That shouldn't take long.
>>
>>47939897
>>47939115
>>47939098
As people have often pointed out in /5eg/, being a bladelock is actually not as good as being a tomelock with access to Shillelagh. That way, when you absolutely need to be on the front line, you can use Charisma to hit people rather than having to go MAD.

Another cantrip you might want is Green-flame Blade, from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. It lets you hit two creatures with one attack and ensures that your damage will properly scale with level.
>>
>>47940027
The fish is piled up next to vegetables, and I don't see any spits or anything, which makes me think that they're going to put it in the stew.
>>
>>47939814
Cause the new monster manual is coming out later this year
>>
File: 1369820224369.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1369820224369.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>47939897
>You can cast Darkness on objects.

What are the advantages of being "invisible" to enemies in 5e? I know they get disadvantage on attack rolls. Do you get advantage to hit those that can't see you?
>>
>>47940072

I didn't see any either, but it shouldn't be too hard to find some branches.

Also, who uses a plate for stew? That shit needs a bowl.
>>
>>47940083
Those pans look deep enough to manage stew in. When you're adventuring you can't always bring a whole china cabinet.
>>
>>47940077
Yes. This is not the same thing as them being surprised, though, and things like blindsight and tremorsense will ignore magical darkness.
>>
>>47940077
Yup
>>
>>47940074
Why exhaustion bad
>>
>>47940131
Because it is a status condition that lowers player effectiveness dramatically.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 750x1334
>>47940131
Cause disadvantage on skill checks, slowed movement speed, and eventually disadvantage on attack rolls is bad.
>>
>>47940137
What like HP reduction or paralysis
>>47940139
Yeah after failing three DC 13 saving throws
>>
>>47940131
It's not as bad as people say. A single level of exhaustion doesn't significantly hinder your ability to fight, as it only affects skill and ability checks. Two levels halves your speed, which might be an issue if you're not a monk or barbarian. Three levels is where you really start sucking. And you only get back one level per long rest, which is kind of a drag.
>>
>>47940151
The DC isn't always the same. All kinds of shit causes exhaustion - it's a catch-all rule for being worn down by your environment. There's a barbarian subclass that gives itself exhaustion that everyone is afraid to use but I kind of want to try some time.
>>
>>47940151
You only get rid of one level per long rest. If you fail it twice its gonna take three days until you don't have disadvantage on perception checks, concentration checks, athletics checks.

If you made the snow maiden enemy you gotta be careful with enemies after it. If someone gets unlucky they could be next to worthless with future fights.
>>
>>47940167
DC 13 on snow maidens
>>
>>47937755
Offer them lodging and contacts. Archmages don't just have dosh, they may have connections or info.
>>
>>47940229
Your exhaustion is probably fine, the players could just roll well and it won't pop up. Plus I never see exhaustion used in game so I'm all for it.
>>
>>47939692
Fiendish Vigor ftw. I personally think it's a sure thing for /any/ low- level warlock.
>>
>>47938444
I've also been looking for it. It was made for "Next" as well as 3.5 and 4e right?
>>
>>47937564

that last one seems like a horrendously bad idea.
>>
>>47931359
>That guy who waits for everyone to finish their characters because he doesn't want to play something cool or interesting to him but min maxes based on what classes where already used

I don't understand these people. Half of DnD is role playing so why play it like you're playing a videogame RPG?
>>
>>47940777
I've done this. It's not out of a desire to break the game or create the most leet team build, but just out of certainty that the party will kill itself unless I do my part to keep it in working order. The rest of the party can be three badly-built bladelocks if that's how they have fun; I just need to be something that will heal their dumb asses because the way I have fun is by surviving to see the whole adventure.

Sometimes I'll try a different strategy and roll up a rogue just to discourage other players from doing the same. Rogue is the easiest class to mess up because it's the class that's most tempted to split the party.
>>
>>47940828
This party was a cleric, a wizard, a rogue and a warrior. This guy went druid and decided his character was an apprentice of another players character so his whole play style went down to: listen to the other guy, then go "I follow him and do that".

This guy also plays Paladin where you have to kill anything evil no matter what.
>>
>>47940777
That is what's cool or interesting to them though. Having a team that works like a well oiled machine is the shit.
>>
I'm currently involved in two 5e games, one in which I'm a player and the other in which I'm the DM. The game I play is on Saturday, it lasts about 8 hours on average and its fantastic. I have no complaints there. The game I DM, however, is on Thursdays, after I get off work. The game lasts 3 to 4 hours and we don't accomplish nearly as much story wise, and some games we never get around to combat. I think I'm a good DM but I'm always running low on energy and my players run low on attention span. I'm exhausted from working all week and we always have work the next morning, so we can't stay up too late. Thursday is the only day we can meet to play, though. I feel like time constraints are limiting our potential for fun. What should I do?
>>
>>47939897
>Mage Armor invocation
>Gain spell you'd cast, at most, every 8 hours, as a cantrip

I mean, I guess. I mostly play at lower levels, where fiendish vigor gives better mileage. I can see the payoff of mage armor, though, both at higher levels and if your DM stages fights in featureless chambers.
>>
>>47940954
Play on a different day
>>
>>47940942
a direct quote: "Don't be something you think is cool, that's lame"
>>
What are some magic items that would be suitable for a moon druid?
(rare or lower rarity please)
not asking to be a powergamer I'm a DM in need of ideas
>>
>>47940876
That's not too bad. Not all players want to hog the spotlight and make every decision for the party, and the game wouldn't work if they were.

And it sounds like your friend plays a paladin correctly.
>>
>>47940979
There are no other days to play on. Thursday is the only day our schedules synch up to let us play.
>>
>>47940777
Could "That Guy" instead be waiting for everyone else to build their character so that when he makes his character, that character will fill its own distinct niche, and therefore leave every character with their own things to do? And so his character will rarely overlap with another person's character and steal the spotlight?

That sounds like a This Guy, not a That Guy.

I'm playing with the inverse right now, a guy who retired his old character (a cleric becasue it was "getting boring" around level 8) and instead rolled up a multiclass Undying Warlock/Way of Shadow monk that basically steps on the toes of EVERYTHING my character, a thief rogue, was previously doing.
>>
>>47941065
Sure if we didn't have Evil PC's and he had detect evil
>>47941095
Believe me he's not "This Guy" he has protag syndrom
>>
Would an illusion block light? Like if you created an illusionary wall on one side of a bonfire would it cast a shadow?

Very specifically could a shadow monk, who's only obstacle keeping him from shadowstepping being a single torch lets say, cast an illusion of a box over the torch then use the newfound darkness to bamf away?

I want to say the illusion does block light but only to those who don't realize it's an illusion yet (as if I recall illusions become transparent once you make your save or whatever, but that could be 3.5 in my head).

Ultimately I have no idea
>>
>>47941144
It depends on how the illusion is made. I was always under the impression illusions were light/refraction to begin with, so they wouldn't
>>
>>47941144
I'd rule they don't.
illusion cheesing passes me off though so whatever
>>
>>47941217
*pisses
>>
>>47941144
Well, you could also just douse or destroy the torch. Or just stand underneath it because the torch is probably casting a shadow of itself.

I kind of like the idea of illusions being able to block light, but that's only because it ties in with another idea I had where a Wizard would make illusory torches in his his dungeon that would light it up for intruders, but since the light is illusory it doesn't actually show anything the party doesn't expect to see, so any traps in the floor are undetectable.

Of course, that would also mean using illusions to block a source of light would not be real darkness, and so a vampire couldn't use illusions to block the sun, but merely think it had been blocked. And for the second, that makes any illusion spell an impromptu darkness spell as well, with the added bonus that you can trick light vulnerable creatures into well-lit areas by making them seem dark.
>>
>>47941063
Belt of moon druid strength
>>
So does the bladesinget cantrips apply aelee attack that triggers somr of the evocation melee attack spells?
>>
File: Warcraft 5e - Copy.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft 5e - Copy.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey guys I slapped together a Warcraft race guide. Most of the text is from the 3.5 World of Warcraft RPG book so it's all pre-BC information, I changed to I changed the High Elf entry into Blood Elf information but they're so easily switched I don't think it's too big of a deal.

Some of the Racial Traits are just lifted from the 5e book with one or two extra's thrown in, others I came up with myself that felt sort of right and the goblin traits were taken from the 5e wiki Gremlin subrace.

I still need to include Pandaren just for completions sake. Also some racial traits may need to be edited or refined and spelling mistakes need to be fixed.

I made some adjustments from the feedback I got last thread and added Worgen and Dranei to the pdf.

The Dranei are pretty much Aasimar from the DMG and the Worgen I put together from scratch so they're probably a little wonky.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could take a look and tell me what's terrible, overpowered, or underpowered.
>>
>>47941631
Also if you guys had any suggestions for a Broken Dranei Variant I could use some help with that, unless you think I should just cut it.
>>
>>47941625

I think you need to sober up then come back and try asking that again.
>>
So, when you make a concentration check, you roll a Constitution saving throw. But is it an ability check or a save? Does Bless apply? Does Jack of all trades apply?
>>
>>47941063
A cloak of protection that wild shapes with you would be something pretty good, but if you want something super Moon Druid, a trinket that allows once a day for the moon Druid to have Max HP with their next wild shape.
>>
>>47941680

It's not an ability check, it's a saving throw. I think Bless would apply.
>>
>>47941631
The text on the bottom of page 12 is all scrunched up.
>>
>>47941680
It is a check, so you can't add proficiency, but you do add jack of all trades.
>>
>>47941714
Never mind just looked it up its a save, so yes.
>>
>>47941703
>>47941714
>>
>>47941708
Yeah I'm still trying to figure out why that's happening, In Homebrewery the text looks fine, it just get scrunched when I save it as a pdf.
>>
>>47941680
A check is what you make when you want your character to do something, a save is what you make when you don't want something to happen to your character.
>>
>>47941680

>>47941703 has it right, Concentration is a Constitution saving throw, NOT an ability check.
>>
>>47941694
Don't they always have max hp with wildshape?
>>
>>47940047
If you actually *want* to be in the front line, a Str weapon does more damage, or go finesse so your combat stat also boosts your AC.
>>
>>47941778
No I mean max possible health. If you look at the creatures they roll dice for their health, you could have it so they get the maximum possible, so instead of roll 2d8+2 for health, which would be on average 10. You get 18 health, cause it's (2 x 8)+2
>>
Which (sub)classes dramatically lose effectiveness using the gritty realism resting variant?
>>
>>47941144
You could definitely block the light with darkness. It should cast a shadow, and if it covers the torch, enshadow everything else. You couldn't see the spell's area, but the rest would be mundane.
>>
>>47942016

Berserker barbarian obviously
>>
Does tgcharacter sheet have Rogues yet?
>>
>>47942016
Berserker Barbarian is the biggest one. Spellcasters in general tend to lose some power, but it shifts their focus more towards relying on cantrips and rituals, so they can still get by.

I think Warlocks and Champion Fighters come out the most ahead. Warlocks for their At-will level 1 spells and good basic cantrip damage, and Champion Fighters for being able to take a minute's rest and heal themselves thanks to regeneration.
>>
>>47941889
Ah, sorry, I only ever use the average, didn't occur to me.

Also, anyone else having problems figuring out how to save HomeBrewery stuff as pdfs?
>>
>>47941631
For the Troll Regeneration feature, if the bonus HD are whatever die the character has from their first class level it should probably specify that to avoid confusion since not every character is going to start at 1st level or stick with the same class from 1 to 20.
>>
>>47942074
Someone in the general found the rogue sheet and posted it for the next OP to include in the mega. I wasn't the OP next and I lost the link from that anon so I'm not sure if it made it up.
>>
>>47942106
That totally slipped my mind thanks!
>>
Can anyone pist inquisitor rogue?
>>
So what are your favorite Martial and Caster classes and why? This has nothing to do with how powerful these classes are, unless you like them because of that.

My favorite Martial is Monk, I like their high mobility and many of their features are very flavourful. Also all of their subclasses are really different and offer a lot of cool utility.

For Casters it's probably Cleric for me. Their subclasses are so different that they almost feel like completely different classes altogether and they have many great options ontop of a great spelllist.
>>
>>47942205
Honestly though have you considered giving them the resting effects of the Durable feat instead? It's a pretty simple feature that would still convey that they are naturally good a healing and there wouldn't be such a difference in what the feature gives a Troll Wizard versus a Troll Barbarian. It may not be as strong but that would probably give you the opportunity to give the race some smaller ribbony features which the Troll and some of the other races are lacking.
>>
>>47942292
My favorite martial will always be the fighter, cause of all of their feat possibilities and how tough they are.

Caster is the wizard, I love the idea of being a student starting from no magic to getting to where they are now. And the schools of magic are awesome.
>>
>>47942292
>Martial
Barbarian.
I just like the skillset and theme of them. And they can become great tanks later on. Witch I love since I run into the middle of everything ever.

>Caster
Either cleric or warlock.
I love the abilities of warlock and what they can do.
But clerics are amazing and to roleplay them is a bit more fun.
>>
Looking for some advice here: just started a new campaign with some friends last sunday. One of my friends is wanting to play a gunslinger and so to make this work in the story I'm going to have the party come to a town and run into the last gunslinger alive (which explains why no one else has guns) and he'll take the PC away for a week or so to teach him the basics. What small rp things can I have for the rest of my party (they're a bard, sorcerer, and warlock)? For the bard I thought about having a traveling band in town for the week looking for an extra player but for the other two I'm drawing a blank.
>>
>>47942292
Favorite martial is probably Rogue. I like how many different roles they can fill, and they offer a great mix of utility and combat effectiveness.

Favorite caster is probably sorcerer. I really like the fluff of magical ancestry, and having a more specialized pool with metamagic to boost it up is also quite nice.
>>
>>47942292
Fighter and Sorcerer, because they're the only two classes I've gotten to play for more than a session.
>>
>>47942455
Check their class paths and backgrounds, there should be plenty to work with there.
>>
>>47937674
>>
>>47931604
Use your familiar as a mount.
>>
>>47942306
That was actually my first idea when I was coming up with ideas for the regeneration trait I was just afraid that stepping on the feat' toes might have been a mistake.
>>
>>47938053
>A shield that never stops talking once it's attuned to
>A longsword that spits out awful one liners when it kills something, "I guess you just couldn't cut it", "looks like you finally got my point", because it's trying to make people forget about it's short handle
>>
>>47942292
My favorite martial is the fighter. They have just always appealed to me the most out of all the classes. They can be used in a large variety of play-styles and can usually fit into any party comp pretty easily. Plus, they can have larger variety of backgrounds than certain other martials.

My favorite caster is the sorcerer, I love being a blaster caster, and the draconic heritage combined with the elemental adept feat allows for some fun times. Plus since they didn't study or anything for their powers, they can reasonably have a more flexible background than other classes.
>>
What sea creatures can my coast druid turn into? Im looking for more docile creatures not predators.
>>
>>47935292
I don't have the DMG to hand, and haven't looked at it that much. Refresh my memory?
>>
>>47942292
I don't have a favorite martial, and most of my ideas for martial characters are multiclassed anyway. Fighter, Monk, and Rogue are the big three.

Favorite caster is the Druid, hands down. Shapeshifting is super fun to use and the nature/elemental magic gives them a flavor I really like. If there was a class that had only a shapeshifting ability and no magic I would still play it, and the reverse is also true.
>>
Thinking about throwing out a racing side quest that I can bring up every now and then for my PCs to waste time with if they want. What creature should I have everyone race on? A horse seems too boring to use, what are some other options?
>>
>>47942292
Fighter, because it's been my go-to option since my BECMI days. There are few character concepts that can't just be a Fighter in most versions of D&D with most reasonable DMs.

Wizard because spellbooks. Spellbooks are great adventure hooks, particularly if the DM sets up an expectation among the players that there are super-cool spells locked away in some dangerous place or other. This plays out better with some versions of D&D than others, but hey.
>>
>>47942292 Rogue and wizard
>>
>>47942764
Wolves, dire wolf or worg.
>>
>>47942764
giant frogs
>>
Hey, anons. I'm trying to work out the balance and other various kinks on a bunch of conversions/homebrews, mostly older edition races and some new Wizard subclass options. Anyone got any feedback on the stuff I've done so far?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

Also, I take requests for attempts at race statting. I still have a 5e Trox conversion attempt one anon asked for but never stuck around to get.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Heavy-Armor-Master.png (191 KB, 400x191) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Heavy-Armor-Master.png
191 KB, 400x191
If a character has resistance to BPS damage and this feat, how is the damage reduction calculated if x damage is dealth of a BPS type.

a) 0.5*(x-3)
or
b) 0.5*x - 3
>>
>>47942764
Racing snails.
>>
Dragon Racing
>>
>>47942932
Multiply first then take away the 3.
I'd tell you where I saw that rule but I forget what book it's in. Think it might be the DMG
>>
>>47942958
Wait sorry think I muddled that up
>>
>>47942932
Can't find the source to my bullshit but I think you reduce the damage by 3 then half it.
>>
>>47942924
Most of the races seem okay.

The Fire Wizard getting Burning hands for free when near a source of flame seems rather strong, though it tapers off rather quickly. Maybe consider bumping that up to a higher level benefit? Maybe swap it with the level 10 benefit? Undying light warlocks get mod to fire damage from first level.

The damage reduction at level 6 should probably just be resistance, and maybe only reduce the damage by Int mod if the wizard already has resistance from some other source.
>>
>>47942939
this. a thousand times this.
>>
>>47942764
Owlbear racing
>>
>>47942980
I was told the same thing by my DM. I think it's in one of the erratas but I'm not sure.
>>
Running through Strahd atm. Several parts seem to require Greater Restoration but I'm not sure where the players will acquire 100gp worth of diamond dust. Any ideas?
>>
>>47942983
Thank you for the critique! That does make a certain amount of sense; as much as I want to get the Elementalist Traditions done, I'm really having a hard time thinking of any features.

Can anyanon give me feedback on the Wood Elementalist? Or would be willing to help me figure out what to do for Earth, Water, Air and Metal?
>>
Spells only consume the material components when it specifically states in the spell that the components are consumed, correct?
>>
>>47943067
My DM just lets me use gold, no need to find the material if I have the cost.
>>
>>47943102
Yup, like Mage Armor needs a scrap of leather but it doesn't consume it, cause it doesn't say it does.
>>
>>47942932
PHB pg197:

> Resistance and then vulnerability are applied after all other modifiers to damage. For example, a creature has resistance to bludgeoning damage and is hit by an attack that deals 25 bludgeoning damage. The creature is also within a magical aura that reduces all damage by 5. The 25 damage is first reduced by 5 and then halved, so the creature takes 10 damage.

Subtract, then divide.
>>
File: 5e_MM_Giant-Owl_Befriend.png (588 KB, 682x860) Image search: [Google]
5e_MM_Giant-Owl_Befriend.png
588 KB, 682x860
>be fighter
>be elf
>take Giant Owl as a language
>befriend a Giant Owl (check pic, they love elves)
>give it barding
>large animal companion that is intelligent that you can speak to so it can act on its own initiative
>can mount it
>it has fly-by and 60ft flyspeed
>you can prepare your action to Attack when you are adjacent to the enemy you want to hit
>the owl can fly you to the enemy, trigger your prepared attack, attack the enemy with its talons, and fly away without reprisal
>take mounted combatant so it can save for no damage and fail for half damage on dex saving throws and to have advantage on your attacks
>bully the beastmaster ranger who has a pathetic little mastiff companion that can't think for itself and will let monsters beat it to death unless commanded every 6 seconds
>>
What are the best magical secrets spells to take for a 10th level bard? Hard mode: It's a valor bard with a scimitar of speed and a shield, and not picking haste.
>>
>>47943131
Thank-you.
>>
>>47943070
For wood, I'd suggest not loading them up with quite as many spells Shillelagh, Thorn Whip, and Barkskin are good, but I think that a Wood Element wizard should be distinct from a Druid. Rather than being one with nature and communicating with it, they see wood as more of an object, a tool to be used.

Charming plants doesn't really seem like the Wizards style. Instead, I would make their second level feature and later stuff be more about shaping wooden materials instead.

For metal, I think you could make almost a sort of armored caster tradition. Have their second level feature give them medium armor or shieds, maybe proficiency with a couple of martial weapons. Go for something to make them more sturdy, possibly with some minor artifice abilities to conjure metallic weapons or create constructs of metal in limited ways.

Earth would best be used to allow them to get termorsense, a burrow speed, the ability to petrify/unpertify themselves, and other sorts of abilities related to stone. They should be able to gauge things made of stone very well. Some of this stuff could be an always-on thing, while others would be better to have it cost a spell slot.

Water would be similar to earth, although it's hard for both of them because Earth and Water spells aren't as clearly defined. For Water, you could add Create Water to their spells known, let them get waterbreathing earlier, or allow them to do something weird like carry around a massive amount of water in a condensed space with them to allow the use of water spells in otherwise dry environments. A swim speed wouldn't be out of place either.

Air could offer benefits to lightning spells and thunder spells easily, and any buffs you could tie to standing in a strong wind or being in the air. If you're inside of a gust of wind or under the effects of a levitate spell, you could get a speed boost to counteract the wind or take advantage of it, or get to move horizonatlly without a wall.
>>
Hey, anons? I'm trying to come up with a fantasy racial name that could believably translate as "Eater(s) of Vile Things" - can anyone make any suggestions?
>>
>>47943276
Gorvush
>>
>>47943276
Yer'mum
>>
>>47943302
Kek
>>
>>47937372
>figuring out how to stick a giant octopus man into the world and have it make sense.
You act as if this was difficult? It's not. If you're creative enough to make a new setting, you should be creative enough to figure it out.

Plus, it's not like they need to be common. Just because PCs can be a class doesn't mean that class needs to be a commonly encountered and known pillar of the setting.
>>
>>47943256
Thank you so much for the critique and the suggestions! Let me just try to reply to you...

Wood: Yeah, the idea was that Wood Elementalists shape and control plants, they don't commune with nature. Thing is, the majority of spells along that line are Druid based, and that's why I gave them the expanded spell list that I did.

Wood is also often associated with life (plus air and/or electricity) in many settings, so I figured wood elementalist was a good option for some arcane healing, too. Hence the Cure Wounds and related spells.

The big problem I have with changing the features like that is that, really, I'm stuck for something useful to do. The Wood Elementalist in Pathfinder has a "Splintershot" class feature/attack that maybe can converted? Perhaps I should post that here?

Metal: A more armored, war-like caster might make sense. Is there any casting penalty to armor anymore, or is that still gone? Are there any spells I might need to add to the Wizard list to properly flesh out their stuff?

Some good base suggests for Earth, Water and Air. I should really get to work on that right now while your post is still here...

Thanks to all anons for commenting and much appreciation to anyone who continues to provide feedback. I really want to make these races and class options good.

How does the Defiler look, if there're any Dark Sun fans here?
>>
>>47941680
>So, when you make a concentration check, you roll a Constitution saving throw. But is it an ability check or a save?
> you roll a Constitution saving throw
>a Constitution saving throw
>saving throw
>saving

It's a save. You should have been able to figure that out on your own.
>>
File: 1437960433913.jpg (51 KB, 500x681) Image search: [Google]
1437960433913.jpg
51 KB, 500x681
>>47943276
Literally anything can believably translate as anything. That's how language works.
>>
My party is going to raid a temple of an ancient, evil water god. What are some spooky water-themed monsters I can use?

I know the temple's "Final boss" is going to be a Hydra.
>>
>>47943366
Wood: While it might be associated with life, I think trying to add a bunch of spells to their list just makes it clear that isn't the sort of way Wizard's usually operate. Having it take a more clinical approach to nature, using them as tools, helps make them more distinct from druids.

Metal: As long as you're proficient with armor, you can cast in it. It'd be a pretty nice benefit, but nothing too strong as long as it's just medium armor. Wizards have a good array of metallic spells as it is, so the main thing would be encouraging their use.

For the Defiler, I think you're going about it the wrong way. Firstly, having the radius only be 1 foot per spell level means the downsides will rarely matter outside of RP. You're going to have to get to level 3 or higher spells before you can really say your allies are getting affected, and even then they can just take a step away from you and be fine.

The benefits are also quite strong. Double proficiency on saving throws is crazy, especially at higher levels where you'll have a DC of 25. Re-rolling damage isn't quite as strong, but it's still really good compared to the likes of Great Weapon Fighting that can only re-roll 1s and 2s.

Free quickening is insane, and going from a minute to an action could open up a whole other can of worms.

I think the thing to keep in mind with the Defiler is that it's less about being a powerful option, and more about being the only option. People in Dark Sun don't defile because it's strong. They defile because it's the way magic works by default, and you have to actively work and try to cast without doing it.
>>
>>47943523
Water Elementals could be spooky in an underwater environment. I think they're effectively invisible while mixing with normal water, so that could lead to a sort of ghost-style encounter where the party isn't sure what's attacking them.
>>
>>47943523
Water weirds, swarms of quippers, Chuul, and Sea Hags
>>
>>47943523
Traditionally, if not using elementals, then various animals native to the water tend to be used; crocodiles, piranha, giant mosquitoes, giant pythons, giant fish, etc. Actual water monsters are more... eclectic. The ahuizotl is probably one of the first that pops into mind, but I can't really say that's very good.

>>47943539
Incorrect, actually. Defilers are one of *two* arcane magical choices on Athas. Defilers are the more powerful but destructive version, which is why more people take them up than work with being Preservers. Off the top of my head, in AD&D, at the very least, Defilers gained levels a LOT faster than Preservers did.

Still digesting the rest of your commentary, but I just needed to post that first.
>>
>>47943180
>it has 19 hit points and never gains more
>it will remain well within range of the enemy's longbows for a turn or more before it can reach them
>you never get a replacement if it dies

It'll be fun as long as it lasts, but it's hardly game-breaking
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Feats_Mounted-Combatant.png (513 KB, 564x366) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Feats_Mounted-Combatant.png
513 KB, 564x366
>>47943681
>implying I won't take the arrows for him
>>
>>47943726
Might not be enough, as you'll still be a hell of a target if you don't have a whole brigade of giant owl cavalry to cover you. There's also the fact that enemies can use the same readied action trick on you that you use on them; they can grab or shove you off the owl, and the owl might not even do what you tell it to. It will have plans of its own, and its Intelligence is 8, so those plans will probably suck. Just speaking the same language as something does not make it your perfectly obedient slave.
>>
>>47942764
OWLBEARS

Look for Dungeon Magazine #213, there's a Owlbear Run adventure by Chris Perkins. It's for 4e, but you can adapt it.
>>
>>47943681
>the owl might not even do what you tell it to. It will have plans of its own, and its Intelligence is 8, so those plans will probably suck.
An 8 int creature should be able to realize a more intelligent creature with its best interests in mind would be best obeyed unless instructions are obviously harmful.

>Just speaking the same language as something does not make it your perfectly obedient slave
The owl will probably listen to his demonstrably hardy fighter friend who has his best interest at heart.

>There's also the fact that enemies can use the same readied action trick on you that you use on them; they can grab or shove you off the owl
Cool, so the combat will be dynamic and interesting. I never said that it trivializes the game.
>>
>>47943941
You best be ready to pass that DC20 persuasion check every time you ask it to do anything in combat where it is constantly taking risks for you

DMG page 245 by the way
>>
>>47943256
Okay, I'm still working on the Water and Metal schools, but I have drafts up for Earth and Air as a result of your post. I'd dearly appreciate feedback on how they look so far.

>>47943539
The thing is, with wood, how exactly can I show that more clinical approach? Most of the spells I chose do just that, like Thorn Whip or Wall of Thorns.

I really think that this is one tradition that needs an Expanded Spell List to work. I am open to the idea that maybe I need to refine what spells are there. But the other class features... yeah, those are where I want to concentrate on cooking up replacements or improvements.

I mentioned earlier that Pathfinder's got a Wood Elementalist archetype for Wizards in Ultimate Magic; for comparison, this is what they get:
* Expanded spell list with a bunch of druidic spells like entangle and tree shape.

* Boosts to Dex, Con and Wis.

* Splintered Spear: 3 + Int mod times per day, you can conjure and throw a shortspear that inflicts bleed damage on the target,

* Cooperative Defense: When you and one or more allies are targeted by the same attack, you can let your allies use your saving throw instead of their own.
>>
Is this homebrew overpowered for a group of 5 6-level characters who rolled extremely high on their stats? It's going to be one of many possible encounters in the dungeon, so I don't want it to kill them. At the same time, I'd like if it at least scared them a bit.

Erosion Golem
Large Construct, Chaotic Evil
"A celebration of the decay water causes, the Erosion Golem is a shambling, horrifying blob of sediment and liquid, held together only by the evil magic which created it."

Armor Class: 16 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points: 18d10+50
Speed: 30 ft.
STR: 22 (+6)
DEX: 7 (-2)
CON: 20 (+5)
INT: 2 (-5)
WIS: 7 (-2)
CHA: 1 (-5)

An erosion Golem is immune to all Poision, Psychic, Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing attacks from non-magical weapons.
It is weak to vulnerable to lightning damage.

Fire damage does not deplete the golem's hit points, but does deplete a secondary, hidden stat, its "moisture points".
An erosion golem starts with 1/3 of its HP worth of moisture points.
When the golem runs out of moisture points, it loses its immunity to Bludgeoning, Piercing, and Slashing damage, but gains invulnerability to lightning damage.

Attacks:

1. Multiattack: The Golem makes two slam attacks
2. Slam: Meele attack, +10 to hit, reach 5 ft. one target. Hit: 3d8 bludgeoning damage.
3. Erode: The erosion Golem eats away at the target's will. The target must make a DC 17 WIS saving throw against the golem. Upon failure, the target's speed is halved, and their WIS is reduced by 1d2 points until the erosion Golem dies.
>>
>>47943523
Water Elementals, Water Weirds, Sea Hags, and I think giant octopuses and giant constrictor snakes would be cool, too. If it is a temple, it could have worshippers... What about Sahuagins or Merrows?

Lastly, check the Elemental Evil pdf in the mega. There's a whole cult devoted to water, with cool stuff like Knights who bond to sea creatures and ride sharks and the like into combat.
>>
>>47944048
>"HEY! YOU WANT TO DO SOMETHING OTHER THAN TAKE THE ATTAK ACTION? NO! ABSOLUTELY NO FUN IF I HAVE A SAY IN IT"
>>
>>47944060
Well, I think rather than giving them a massive spell list, giving them something akin to lesser version of Warp Wood as their 2nd level feature, and then letting them use spell slots to amp up their ability to manipulate it.

Basically, while a druid might talk to a plant and use magic to have them grow or shape them into a form he needs, like making a giant lily raft, a wood wizard would instead just bend a tree or log into the proper shape, not caring as much if the tree lives in the process.

I'm still looking over the earth and air schools.
>>
>>47944112
Shoulda taken an animal companion, not try to powergame the system

>hey, can my animal companion be a giant owl?
>why, sure, but you'll have to go through this process to get one
>neat

Vs

>lol I'll just be a fighter and make friends with an owl, it should be easy to convince it to risk its life for me on a daily basis for little to no gain on his part
>sure, and it will be hard as fuck to convince it to stick around
>SHIT DM DETECTED FUKKIN CASTER SUPREMACU FUK DIS GUY HURR
>>
>>47944060
>>47944178
Earth seems okay. I might suggest switching the level 14 and 10 features, if only to put the always-on burrow speed at the same point as the always-on flight from other classes.

For air, the first feature probably shouldn't add 1/2 level, just the mod is fine. The level 14 feature could stand to be +10 feet if they already have a fly speed as well. Aside from that though, I think these features are rather neat.
>>
>>47944048
But if it's gonna be like that

>rogue1, prof/expertise in persuasion: +4
>half elf, cha 16: +3
>total persuasion bonus at level...
1) +7
5) +9

Fighting alongside the party is hardly a "significant risk". Easily a "minor risk", which is, oh look at that, a DC10. By level 5, the character won't be able to fail that check. That being said, this owl would obviously be an NPC Party Member not just a random NPC "friendly creature".
>>
Do corpses count as difficult terrain?
>>
>>47944311
Being in constant mortal danger is by no means a "minor risk"

And an untamed giant owl will never be an "npc party member" even if he really likes you
>>
>>47944312
I'd say unless there's more than one Medium one in a 5ft space then no because you could just walk around it easily.
>>
>>47944221
Woah, calm down your autistic rage, there friend. Does it make you feel like a smart little cookie to roleplay a little greentext fantasy wherein I type like I'm even more developmentally disabled than yourself? If it makes you feel better, good on you, whatever makes you happy you autistic little pumpkin.

Anyway, greentext (a) is not permissable by the RAW. If I was going to theorycraft without regarding the rules I would just ride a dragon that has infinity HP and deals infinity damage with his 360 degree breath weapon with infinite reach that only damages creatures I select to be damaged. Because hey, we're throwing all the rules out the window, right? ;)
>>
>>47944376
>>47944376
>>47944376

New thread
>>
>>47944337
By your logic, a CR1 encounter is just as risky as a CR20 encounter. You're so easy to defeat in argument, god damn, stop embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>47944361
Not him, but firstly, you need to calm down, the only one displaying autismal rage here is you. Secondly, do you not see how hypocritical it is to complain about a greentext strawman when that's blatantly what you did, and did first? You're really not going to convince anyone of anything when you act like this.
>>
>>47944312
Not unless the floor is completely covered in corpses or you're crawling over a pile of corpses, no.
>>
>>47943180
>giant owlbear
i read every single word of "owl" as "owlbear" in my mind until i finished your post and got to flyby attack in the picture
>>
>>47943941
>The target gains an Intelligence of 10.
>>
File: 5e_PHB_Spells_Awaken.png (29 KB, 486x573) Image search: [Google]
5e_PHB_Spells_Awaken.png
29 KB, 486x573
>>47947014
Did you intend to post this?
>>
>>47944387
Why make a new thread if this one has room for more posts?
>>
>>47942564

We're all watchers now. I've got you in my scry.
>>
>>47941631
This is just a quick look so feel free to ignore this.

The biggest thing I can see which has nothing to do with design is that a lot of the things in each race don't state what kind of action they use, and one of them don't state any sort of "cooldown" (i.e. long rest, short rest):

>Stoneform, no action cost
>Escape Artist, no action cost
>War Stomp, no action cost
>Cannibalism, no action cost
>Troll Berserking, no cooldown or action cost

Anyway here's the design stuff that I think might be a bit wonky, and I'll only give a few examples or this will be a bit long as I think there might be some tweaking power problems and some small thematic ones too.

So, Humans are by far the worst race seeing what you have given all of them. "Human Spirit" would be a great ability to be given, but almost every single other race has some sort of free advantage to something, with BE and Gnomes having by far the biggest power in this aspect. Free advantage to all INT/WIS/CHA magic saves? That is incredibly good. And they get more stuff.
My point is that you are over-valuing Human Spirit and that is making you underpower the rest of the race given the level of power you have established in the other races.

The largest problem I see is the Troll Berserker ability. Even if we assume that the action cost is 1 action and it's once per long rest, that ability is game-breaking. 1 minute is the length of most fights, and it makes max-level fighters get 6 attacks per round(using a bonus action) and makes Barbarians just ridiculously strong.
This wouldn't be a problem if the other races just had abilities that matched the power of it, but almost none of them do.
Thread replies: 236
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.