[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you make an original fantasy character, /tg/? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: RIDERS OF THE DEAD.jpg (324 KB, 864x1200) Image search: [Google]
RIDERS OF THE DEAD.jpg
324 KB, 864x1200
How do you make an original fantasy character, /tg/?

I've got writer's block up the ass. I just dunno how to go about doing it.

Writing general too I guess
>>
>>47922365
You don't. Everything has been done before.
What you do is take some of those things that have been done before and combine them in a way that makes for interesting interactions.
>>
Compelling is more important than original. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>47922579
this
>>
>>47922365
Originality is overrated, execution is what matters.
>>
Deconstruct cliche character, reconstruct it back with some of your touch.
>>
>>47922833
Are cliché characters necessarily bad?

They become clichés because they somehow appeal to people on some level, from what I understand.
>>
File: Magi Morgianna.jpg (17 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Magi Morgianna.jpg
17 KB, 500x281
>>47922365
I know anime and manga are shit (most media is shit), but I still find them a good source of inspiration in the sense that I can look at the characters in them and think to myself "Hey, what if this idea were executed in a way that WASN'T super cringey, tropey, and weeaboo?"

For example, pic related, turn it into a backstory about a gladiator slave, and build the character's personality from there, or even pull a complete opposite and make a slave character's who's someone "pet" mage and used mainly for "domestic" magic like heating water and such. Both give you a ton of potential to work with and will probably make for interesting interactions in a party of more "normal" characters (assuming you don't go full angst and suffering mode with it).
>>
>>47922365
Put tits on them.
>>
>>47922892
Plz don't, I already have to deal with a party of "that guys" who would play female characters every single game if I didn't start accusing them of magical realm. It' not even that they're doing it for fetish reasons (they might be, I don't actually know), but they're so pretentious and cringey about it I seriously don't know how they manage to function in real life a society in which half the population is female.
>>
Just steal a character from some old untranslated Japanese fantasy novel or video game that nobody in your group has ever heard of.
>>
Find out what the campaign is about first.

Theoretically, there's something interesting happening in the world that you can incorporate into your character. Or an exotic foreign land you can make them from and develop a whole culture.

Even if your GM only thinks as far as "You're a pseudo-European peasant, there are goblins attacking" you can come up with some kind of relationship they might have to one or the other or another PC. Interesting characters don't occur in a vacuum.
>>
>>47922870
>Are cliché characters necessarily bad?
No. But OP asked:
>How do you make an ORIGINAL fantasy character?
>>
>>47922885
source?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.