[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EDH/Commander General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52
File: 178.jpg (79 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
178.jpg
79 KB, 312x445
Kresh the Facefucker edition

Previous
>>47902491

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
>>47917785
Looking to build a new commander deck.
Omnath or Gitrog? Rakdos is also an option
>>
>>47917844
Surely you can find a more interesting general than that.

But if I were to choose from what you gave me, I'd do toad.
>>
File: puma2.jpg (148 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
puma2.jpg
148 KB, 480x680
3rd for puma
>>
>>47918200
I'm not the OP, just an anon from last thread.
But thanks, was really stuck between the two. If it helps any, I'm sorta new to EDH and mainly like playing Gruul or mono green mashy decks.
>>
>>47918227
>smashy
Fuck this accursed mobile device.
>>
Best/favorite general for Storm?
>>
File: 221.jpg (76 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
221.jpg
76 KB, 312x445
This flavor text sucks. Why is the non quoted part of the sentence even there? Its redundant, other than to make it sound worse. Do they think the player is an idiot who can't figure it out?
>>
I'd like to make a Zedruu deck. I don't really know what to put in it. what would /tg/ recommend for a sub 150$ Zedruu deck that's fun to use?
>>
>>47918290
Probably to make the impression that he's spoken about in hushed legend or somesuch.
>>
File: rakdos_lord_of_derp.png (717 KB, 819x575) Image search: [Google]
rakdos_lord_of_derp.png
717 KB, 819x575
>>47917844

Don't build Rakdos. That goes for both Rakdos, lord of Riots, and the color combination in general. Black/red needs a third color to be good because they have no way to play around the fifty or so commonly played enchantments that shut down black or red spells.

Jund is fantastic. Grixis is really good. Even Mardu can work pretty well. Rakdos just doesn't have the tools to succeed. Grenzo is your best bet if you are dead set on playing Rakdos.
>>
>>47918469

Enchantments such as?
>>
File: Gravity Negator.jpg (868 KB, 1080x1465) Image search: [Google]
Gravity Negator.jpg
868 KB, 1080x1465
>>47917785
So I want to make an Eldrazi deck with some of the new creatures like pic related, but I just feel like the deck lacks real teeth. Anyone got any thoughts, maybe generals that are good for such a deck. I've been thinking mostly Temur looking at Riku and Maelstrom Wanderer.
>>
>>47918930
Not that guy but I play B/R. Glare of Subdual will make you want to drink paint.
Aura shards is pretty bad too. Asceticism, earthcraft, rhystic study, dovescape off the top of my head.
>>
>>47918934
You want Animar, and focus on the Eldrazi that actually feel like Eldrazi. Gravity Negator looks cool and so do a lot of the other new arts, but like you said, no teeth.
>>
>>47919016

Seems like you can solve a lot of those problem enchantment by killing their creatures, which is no problem for RB.

>Glare of Subdual will make you want to drink paint.
Kill their creatures
>Aura shards is pretty bad too
Torpor orb if it's that much of problem
>Asceticism
Black Suns and Edicts care because?
>earthcraft
Kill their creatures
>rhystic study
You're not the only player getting upset by it. Pay the 1
>dovescape
Purphuros, Blood Artist, Zalaport Cutthroat, ect

Rakdos get Ulamog out pretty easily
>>
>>47917844
go rakdos homes, but don't fall in to the trap that makes you run shitty 1/1 unblockables, instead play for value with efficient creatures like obliterator and good overall cards like bitterblossom. damage will happen, you will be able to cast him often enough with shit that does damage and you will get value in the course of the game, rakdos is no min-max commander, he's just the guy that let's you get ahead incidentally and produces mad value.
>>
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-artifact-fun/

Opinions on this Bosh build? Any cheap-ish combos worth including? Anything that could work better than some of the cards I included? I'd like to keep it under 100, but if I go up to 150, I'm fine.
>>
>>47918290
>tfw he's not a Berserker
Look at that art and tell me Thrax doesn't look like he listens to Holy Terror while skullfucking his enemies
>>
>>47919200
Illusionist's Bracers

I would slot a Daretti somewhere in there too if you have one
>>
>>47919200
>Myr Welder
Do you have any particular combos in mind with it? It's probably not great just as a value play especially since you want to keep artifacts in your gy to recur.

>Expedition Map
You don't have any particularly powerful lands to tutor, what do you usually get?
>>
>>47918930
Rest in Peace shuts down most of the synergy that black/red has. You might not notice it when you run a three-color deck, but if you try to do something of meaningful impact with black or red, you have to either pay 5+ mana or you have to use the graveyard.
>>
>>47919237
Oh shit, that's a good idea. I'll see if I can find a Daretti for cheap for friends.

>>47919303
Point taken, I'll probably swap those out for the other anon's decision, I was flopping around just thinking, 'oh, fuck, what are some good artifacts'.
>>
>>47919330

Oh I know what RiP does to BR. Hell, one of my favorite decks was Liliana, which is mono black. However, you have to be prepared to lose the GY, and if RiP is common place (a lot of metas don't use it because they like their own GY too much), then you should have an answer ready.

Black is more than capable of producing lots of mana, so things like All is Dust, O-Stone, Perilous Vault, Disk, Karn, Ugin, Scour from Existence, both Ulamogs (especially for Rakdos) ect are not out of reach.
>>
>>47919170

>Kill their creatures

This doesn't work in practice. Loading your deck with terminates and board wipes is an enormous disadvantage against decks that can populate the board efficiently. Furthermore, you blow a board wipe on their tokens and small value creatures. They still have all of their enchantments and even the most pitiful token producer becomes a threat.

The only thing that comes close to being efficient enough is loading your deck with gravepacts, but like any good black or red card, it is turned off by rest in peace.

Good luck getting to 10 mana against colors that have better aggressive options and cards you can't interact with.
>>
>>47919566

Another thing to consider is that if these enchantments are so strong and bothersome, there are other players at the table who probably don't like it either. What sensible player will let Earthcraft sit on the table if they can get rid of it?

Hell, if you're really worried, run Praetor's Grasp and/or Sadistic Sacrament and nip the problem in the bud early.
>>
File: 266.jpg (48 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
266.jpg
48 KB, 312x445
>>47919673
No mention of B/R's under 2 buck best friend?
>inb4 shit posts about how it etbs tapped
>>
File: zedruu_coin.gif (48 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
zedruu_coin.gif
48 KB, 400x400
Thoughts on this deck? I'd like to know what I could switch and I'd like your inputs on which cards I could use

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pillow-fort-no-one-allowed/
>>
>>47919736

I mentioned disk here >>47919495 along with all its friends
>>
>>47918324
enchantment 'removal' like o-ring and detention sphere is good because the control doesn't matter

to keep a deck fun find a theme you like and stick with it
>>
File: 1433553664984.gif (2 MB, 325x235) Image search: [Google]
1433553664984.gif
2 MB, 325x235
>>47919209
The berserker tribal is pretty dead so maybe they didn't want to do that.
But a fucking assassin? He is a burning 6/6 fucking zombie, sneaking into your shit? As a player of him this bugs me. Anyways I will share a story

>4 player FFA
>Memnarch player, bsaically blue/artifact goodstuff with an annoying commander, and a few of our more casual friends
>he has a good draw, Treasue Mage, Grand Architect, Greaves. (they were wiped but did the work)
>He has memenarch out, and blightsteel, equipped with greaves and kills a player.
>did i mention he exiled that player's only blocker with Karn?
>EoT terminate Memnarch
>Swing with a hasty Thrax, He has to sac blightsteel and Karn dies

I lost that game to "lol its late game so you die to Jarad" but it was worth it.
>>
>>47918469
Rakdos, Lord of Riots is so much fun though. You play universal burn spells and cast giant creatures.
>>
>>47919996
Considering the first Assassins were known for public, in-broad-daylight, attacks, maybe Thrax is the sort that just violently pushes through and kills his target?
>>
>>47918269
wouldn't that be Mizzix?
>>
File: 1363115419146.jpg (37 KB, 485x347) Image search: [Google]
1363115419146.jpg
37 KB, 485x347
>playing with some friends
>getting a bit late
>well, maybe one more
>and off we go
>Mimeoplasm player gets a turn 4 Soulless One
>it's a 2/2, no problems
>next turn he Traumatizes himself
>now it's a 17/17
>problems
>next turn he drops the Apocalypse on us to revive all of his zombies
>which just so happens to include his combo pieces
>by means of Grimgrin, he gets two Gray Merchant triggers and sacs the rest of his zombies to Diregraf Captain us to death
>game took about ten minutes
>>
Well, I designed this... Probably the most hateful list I've ever come up with. Any opinions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zo-zu-land-hate-edh/
>>
>>47920127

Mizzix is a really strong storm general, melek is also good, not as good as mizzix but very good

Grixis is the best storm color combo, but unfortunately there's not a perfect commander for the job, an ideal grixis storm deck never casts it's commander and that's unfortunate

I made a red black storm deck once, no blue, it was fine but it had the same problem of not having a commander worth casting

I imagine blue black storm is possible too but missing out on red rituals and past in flames is tough
>>
>>47920345
At least he didnt keep you around forever trying to figure out what to do. I stupidly played a warp world the same day a new guy was introduced to our playgroup. Took him a half hour to figure out his triggers.
>>
Well lads I've decided to do something new and different, and with permission from my playgroup I'm gonna be making Glint-Eye Nephilim voltron only all the voltron comes from combat tricks

I've already got an idea in mind since it's already got built in "Draw THAT (!!!) many cards" when it deals combat damage so I'm thinking a bunch of low CMC pump and evasion spells with the ability to get them back with green and U/R recursion

>Distortion Strike + Giant Growth
>Slip through Space + Might of Oaks
>Colossal Might + Shadow Rift
>Rancor + Reckless Charge

Any neat or powerful instant combat tricks or combos you could recommend? I've got 4/5 the color pie so you never know what that freaky one eyed thing is gonna do. Since I don't need many card draw spells I can stuff lots of them in there.
>>
I traded some mono black staples I had from a deck I took apart for a jace mind sculptor for some reason. Wasn't going to using them. What kind of deck should I start building with him in mind, don't play much blue
>>
File: Reveka, Wizard Savant_HL.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Reveka, Wizard Savant_HL.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
>>47921173
I've got quite the legend for you
>>
>>47918934
5 color eldrazi karona the false god.
Go all colored eldrazi, (devoid is fine)
Hard mode:no colorless eldrazi.
>>
>>47920432
I love it.
Have you considered static orb?
>>
File: 1372215566443.jpg (217 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1372215566443.jpg
217 KB, 900x900
Fuck you guys and fuck commander.

My friend used to love MTG. He would draft standard, he had a couple modern decks, we traded and built janky combo kitchen table decks, but now he hates it. He hates everything magic related. Why? Because now he only plays EDH.

Eldritch Moon spoilers come out, all he has to say is "Its garbage shit, no good commanders". Eternal Masters get spoiled, "Muh commanders". Hey anon, want to play anything else? "ugh, lets just play commander."

Jesus christ, enough is enough already. He wont be satisfied until he buys and builds EVERY single EDH deck POSSIBLE. He sinks EVERY paycheck into finishing another EDH deck. Two of his friends enable his habit but, damn, I just can't keep up anymore. Its not fun netdecking, buying, playing, rebuilding, rinsing and repeating over and over. He doesn't even seem happy anymore, he just mindlessly plays. He looks more and more clinically depressed every day.

I dont even know why im posting this here, is there something I can do? Should I just suck it up and play with him? Should I tell him i'm burnt out? We used to be best friends but now I feel like if I told him I was taking a break he'd stop talking to me all together. Has this happened to anyone else? God damn, how did this happen?
>>
>>47921461

>draft standard

What?

Anyway magic can be addictive, if he has a money spending problem, you should tell him you're worried

If you think he doesn't enjoy magic anymore, talk to him

Otherwise you should shut the fuck up and play
>>
File: shaggy.jpg (54 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
shaggy.jpg
54 KB, 612x612
>>47921461
Sorry your friend is bad with his money?

Why talk to us about this when you can confront him about this?

Go talk to your friend about his spending problems.
>>
>>47921322
Commanders I'm seeing so far that could be good/interesting jenara, rafiq and jhoira. Thoughts? Jhoria seems the most fun, but I imagine she would get stale the fastest since I imagine she pretty much plays the same every game
>>
>>47920432
Needs some draw ability and some more x spells. Also a lifelink equipment might be good on the commander since he deals the damage when a land comes in. Otherwise I think it looks pretty annoying to play against, and I wouldn't want to be your friend.
>>
>>47918209
>no scar
>attacking alone
Shit art desu
>>
>>47917785
Currently running Prossh in Jund, but Kresh is just so great. I fear, I won't get the fodder I need with him as commander though.
>>
So, I had a really grindy Liliana discard deck together that was just really efficient at everything it did, but I took it apart because it wasn't fun to play against apparently. However, with the new set, I kinda want to put it back together. I'm torn because I also have Gisa, which I fucking love.

Is it wrong to have 2 mobo black decks? Is is wrong to also rebuild a deck after you said you would build different decks for awhile?
>>
Does anybody know if this is a good competitive deck to start commander with? Or is competitive stuff frowned upon? I've always been a spike and I want to show up at my LGS on commandrr nights them not expecting it.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Daretti-Competitive-EDH-Deck-/322163279164?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

Deck in question.
>>
>>47918245
well, if you like green, smashy stuff, you can just play mono g ezuri - lots of mana dorks and shit, attack with everything + copperhorn scout, overrun a couple of times.
>>
>>47921461
I kinda hate that all the janky fun "casual format" decks were replaced by everyone playing Commander. You don't have anyone to play shitty homebrews with these days. I had to dismantle what I had years ago.
>>
>>47921461
His fault for being a dumbass
>>
>>47919736
>B/R's best friend
>you blow up all your fucking mana rocks
All Is Dust is B/R's best friend
>>
File: 1464604857787.jpg (130 KB, 832x690) Image search: [Google]
1464604857787.jpg
130 KB, 832x690
>>47921461
>drafting
>playing modern
You're the pleb here, anon. I only play EDH now because legacy and vintage are a trillion dollars and every other format has Mark Rosewater's fat jewish cock in it.

Just play EDH. Drafting is a scam and modern is a ban list treadmill.
>>
>>47922954
was forced into edh by my meta of "red deck wins" and other varients of the like in kitchen table magic
>>
>>47922954
When you say you play EDH, you mean you have a low powered EDH deck. By that logic, you could just make a low powered legacy deck. An EDH deck that's the equivalent power level of a good legacy deck costs about the same as a legacy deck, so your argument is moot because you're equating arbitrary EDH deck power levels to "legacy".
>>
File: DSsBl9F.jpg (56 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
DSsBl9F.jpg
56 KB, 800x592
which mono black commander do i build /edhg/?
>>
>>47923061
That's not even remotely true at all. Especially considering that EDH is intentionally played as a multiplayer format. You can have a high powered EDH deck without spending nearly as much money as you'd need to for Legacy.
>>
>>47923064
I also wanna build mono b
>>
>>47923064
Iname, Death Aspect
>>
>>47923074
You can have a high powered legacy deck without spending all that much money too. Cut the red out of Miracles, $300 saved. Cut down to 1 Tundra, $600 saved. Some decks only run 3 Force of Will, $100 saved. Hell if you don't mind taking 2 damage, cut the other Tundra and save another $200. It's like that what you consider to be a power EDH deck isn't really that powerful. Before I dumped a chunk of value from my collection, I could play 1v3 games with Nin the Pain Artist and win. Literally Countertopping an entire table to pieces because fetchlands and Scroll Rack put hella work in.
>>
>>47923109
I ran Hanna countertop, and it was absolutely wonderful.
>>
>>47923091
Literally why? It's so shit as a commander.
>>
I tried out two new decks last night.

Sunastian Falconer (GR): Old frames only. Deck focused on huge aggro and mass land destruction. Winter Orb annoyed people at first, but not as much as the player with Consecrated Sphinx and "lol good stuff" UGR...eventually they realized it was the only thing keeping him in check. Dissappointed that I didn't get to play my favorite Mungha Wurm.

Sedris, Traitor King (UBR): Flashback tribal. A deck I wanted to build just to use Catalyst Stone and Song of Blood. Was fun, but needs more control elements, artifact destruction, and black creatures that drain life on ETB.
>>
>>47923064

I have two mono B decks that are quite different:

Volrath: Discard random 8+ cost creatures, smash face. That fail? Then reanimate said creatures. You get to play random jank like Teeka's Dragon.

Endrek Sahr: Insane synergies, it's a token sacrifice factory. Made up of hundreds of mini-combos. And it's so flavorful to play Thrull Retainer on Endrek to protect him.
>>
>>47920808
Mishra is okay in Grixis, but not necessary.
Dralnu helps makes up for the loss of PiF in Dimir, but then you have to worry about protecting Dralnu.
>>
File: Image.png (126 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
126 KB, 223x311
I've grown bored of my monoblack goodstuffcoffers.dec, and wanted to change it up. I was thinking of building a token centric strategy, and which is more fun; ghoulcaller gisa or endrek sahr?
>>
>>47923695
Skittles aggro
>>
>>47923695
Endrek is more combo-y, as there's no limit to how many times you can use the ability on your turn.

Gisa's more beatdown, as the tokens are larger and you have less restrictions on how strong your creatures can be.

Personally, I prefer Endrek for his strong flavor.
>>
File: 88.jpg (73 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
88.jpg
73 KB, 312x445
>>47921172
>Might of Oaks
>not Might of the Nephilim for maximum flavor
>>
>>47921461
I miss other formats too. I miss 60 card casual.
>>
>>47924091
when your 60 card casual is filled with red aggro and all its jund boros varients, it gets stale real fast
>>
>>47922154
>Buying an entire EDH deck premade off ebay

You're already doing it wrong.
>>
>>47923064
I just built Endrek Sahr and the deck is TONS of fun, and it's actually really good. I think it's the first time I've built a deck that successfully walks the line of being fun for everyone at the table and actually good and capable of going off and winning.
>>
>>47921322
The "we thought Prodigal Sorcerer was too strong and decided to tone it down" legend.
>>
EDH stops being fun when you realise that some cards are legitimate must includes if you want your deck to be any good. Oracle of Mul Daya goes in every green deck, Glen Elendra Archmage goes in every blue deck.
>>
>>47924390
endrek inspired me to build an ayli deck

>>47924476
not really, sometimes its better to just run sakura tribe elder instead of oracle
>>
>>47924496
Boulderhead isn't even close to the power level of Oracle in a format like EDH. Sure there's reasons to run Boulderhead like if you're playing Meren, but Oracle should always be in that deck anyway.
>>
>>47924521
Or just run Exploration, comes down earlier and is less fragile.
>>
Ok lads I want to build another commander deck but can't decide which, here's my unused legendaries

>Mina and Denn Wildborn
>Exava, Rakdos Bloodwitch
>Tajic, Blade of the Legion
>Athreos, God of Passage
>Brimaz, King of Oreskos
>Isperia the Inscrutable
>Kozilek, thd Great Distortion
>>
>>47924591
Doesn't generate card advantage.
>>
>>47924173
Just play Star then. Aggro decks can't handle 2 people.

>>47918469
I run Lyzolda. I've definitely had problems with enchantments, but O-Stone and Chaos Warp is usually plenty. I think you are underestimating the color combination.
>>
>>47924651
I hate to be that guy but "dies to removal" is actually a valid comment here.
>>
>>47924690
2 of us are still interested in 60, so its about 7 years too late for that.

and even then, casual re animator isn't quick enough for the other guy
>>
>>47924727
Perhaps I worded my answer wrong. Ok, how about "Exploration is a bad card because having 4 land down by turn 2 then proceeding to draw 1 card per turn doesn't get you anywhere."?
>>
>>47922154
if you can get it for less than $400 or so then you'll be able to at least make some money by selling it as singles but you probably shouldn't buy it
>>
>>47924813
If you're at 4 lands turn 2 and you don't have anything that can help you generate card advantage by then, you built your deck wrong.
>>
so when will vorinclex be banned? or should every deck run seedborne muse to counter it?
>>
Not sure if heres good but my local scenes are doing Pauper Edh and I have no clue whats a competitive deck to build for it, any suggestions?
>>
>>47924935
I'd rather just play Oracle and have both in one package. Fast mana doesn't mean as much in this format.
>>
>>47924988
>doesnt matter
>literally 75-85 percent of turn one sol rings / mana crypt contribute to fast win
>>
>>47925112
Sol Ring is 1 card. Exploration and 2 land is 3 cards.
>>
>people complain how all these threads are is people complaining about cards and how they want to help or give advice
>people post asking for advice is ignored by more people complaining about cards

Face it /tg/ you're addicted to chaos and shitposting and don't know any other way
>>
>>47924946
Never, because he's an 8-drop that you can kill or counter
>>
> want to build karlov, realize how boring the lol I gain life game is
> want to improve my gitrog deck
> realize how boring the green staples I need are
Think I'm going to make my gitrog deck primarily a zombie deck with some counter gaining shenanigans and make my green additions forced to fit a swamp type theme. Slugs, turtles, etc.
>>
>>47925158
if its regarding pauper edh, my playgroup tried to do that, but it never went anywhere. was good for one or two games then we just got over it really
>>
>>47925188
make gitrog reanimator. It's much more interesting than the average pepe that just focuses on his lands clause
>>
>>47924976
>EDH
>competitive

You're doing it wrong.
>>
Cheapest shuffle graveyard into library for gb? Cheap as in money not cmc
>>
>>47925330
Elixir of immortality is both, and it's colourless so you can run it in everything. If you're worried about milling yourself just throw in ulamog or blight steel.
>>
>>47925330
Elixir of Immortality
>>
>>47925229
Yeah that's already how my toad is flavored.

I'm secretly hoping there's an eldrazi twisted version of our friendly toad in em as that sounds fucking terrifying, but I know that won't happen.

But hey, maybe, he did have a lore piece
>>
>>47925343
>>47925349
Thanks boys
>>
File: supplanterofidentity.jpg (43 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
supplanterofidentity.jpg
43 KB, 265x370
BLINK-CLONE!

>>47925361
He's already twisted by Eldrazi magic isn't he?
>>
>>47925379
There's also gaeas blessing if your milling yourself or dredging
>>
>>47925445
Can somebody translate?
>>
>>47925468
When he attacks you may exile target nontoken critter. If you do, he becomes a copy until EOT and at EOT the creature returns. Galepowder Mage+1-turn cloning basically.
>>
>>47925379
feldons cane and cranial archive are the only two i can think of aside elixir.

if we are talking creatures gravepurge and death denied are instant speed. but elixir and feldons should be good enough.
>>
>>47925445
Don't believe so. He was like that before emrakul showed up.
He was a horror before it was cool. The hipster toad.
>>
>>47925445
Send a clone to get a burrito, if no burrito is found, return clone to your hand.
>>
nobody posted new thalia? seriously?

2w

first strike

Creatures and nonbasic lands your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.

3/2
>>
>>47921461
>Waaa, my friend doesn't play try hard standard or try hard modern anymore
>Waaaaa
>>
how many board wipes do you guys tend to run?
>I have around 8 or so in my Esper deck, thinking of cutting it down to just three.
>>
>>47925553
So, not good enough for real formats and not interesting for casual players. Sucks.
>>
>>47925576
hes playing tryhard edh though. what is your point? not that OP, but i do feel the draw to just make decks. ive been in japan, and all ive done is construct decks the whole time, its kind of addicting, only consolation is that i made a system to just build the 5 i have planned, and interchange cards between them all

>>47925611
pretty much. still a spoiler.
>>
>>47925553
>thalia more boring than her lieutenant
Sad.
I wonder if odric is going to die and she replaces him
>>
File: That Makes Me A Sad Panda.jpg (45 KB, 333x418) Image search: [Google]
That Makes Me A Sad Panda.jpg
45 KB, 333x418
>>47925688
>Odric dies fighting Emmy
>mfw
>>
>>47925778
He's an old white guy, he has to die because of his cis white privilege so the superior female can take her rightful place.

But god what a boring commander she would make
>>
>>47925829
She'll go in the 99 of Hokori or some shit like that. STAX STAX STAX
>>
>>47919736
A friend in my playgroup had this on the field when I had leyline down, he tapped it and I flashed in mycosynth lattice, the salt at the table was real that night
>>
File: blind obedience.jpg (41 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
blind obedience.jpg
41 KB, 312x445
>>47925553
I like her but then again I really like cards like Blind Obedience and Imposing Sovereign
>>
Would you consider it rude for someone to make a deck with a commander you already run?

http://www.strawpoll.me/10487504/r
>>
>>47924091
So do I. A good portion of my friends stopped playing 60 card formats or MTG altogether. Now all we play is EDH. Which, don't get me wrong, is still entertaining, but I miss playing with certain people and miss building decks with up to 4 copies of cards.

>>47924625
If I had to pick from that list, I'd make a creature-heavy Athreos deck. Lots of Shadowborn Apostles.
>>
File: 1462826741991.png (371 KB, 852x475) Image search: [Google]
1462826741991.png
371 KB, 852x475
>>47925605
>Using boardwipes at all

Not being able to go with and combat the flow of the board is a definitive way to show you suck
>>
>>47926414
not using efficient answers and contingency plans like boardwipes is a definitive way to show you suck
>>
>>47925605
Chandra's Ignition is the best wipe. Use it on something with deathtouch and lifelink, you'll see
>>
>>47925605
I only have one, but it's Myojin and I play Sisay, so it's all good.
>>
>>47926414
im sure your meta is nice and rich with honorable duels to the death, but boardwipes keep people from getting too out of hand.

>>47926470
holy fuck, my dick is hard as diamonds thinking about it
>>
>>47926462
>All boardwipes are answers

Nah I'm pretty sure you suck and now you're an idiot.
>>
>>47926414
in my group there is one player who literally casts board wipes the moment any one player get the advantage.

I really wish they had a bit more targeted removal
>>
>>47926495
It's the best. I did it once and had people trying to argue that deathtouch only applies to combat damage. I told them to read the reminder text on the Typhoid Rats that was about to die as a result of damage being dealt by Godo equipped with a Basilisk Collar
>>
>>47925843
I have a Hokori deck I'm working n and she's definitely going in. My group is going to despise me and I can't wait
>>
>>47926535
So he's a retard, he'll never change out of it. Start playing blue with every counter ever made
>>
>>47918469
Rakdos is fun tho. You just gotta have enablers that don't suck. Like Pilgrim's Eye, Pestilence, Triskaidekaphobia, Sin Prodder. And deathtouch equipments for your pingers like Basilisk's collars so they become assassins. It's janky as hell, but it's a very entertaining and unorthodox way to get to cast yuge creatures.
>>
>>47926701
Rakdos is a combo deck that relies on 1) landing Rakdos, and 2) landing damage then spaffing fat fucks your opponent can't answer. If Rakdos is countered or removed, you've lost. If he hits, you've probably won. I took mine apart because it was just miserable to play either way. Countless games of people scooping because they can't cast Supreme Verdict in the face of Void Winnower, or of me sat there waiting to be put out of my misery because Rakdos costs 8 and I don't have any way of enabling him anyway. It got boring.
>>
Does Blind Seer have the potential to be crazy strong, or am I deluding myself?
>>
>>47926869
But that's what makes him so fun
>>
>>47926414

Explain further

Obviously you're retarded but there are different kinds of retarded and I'd like to know just what kind of retard you are
>>
>>47926921
I'm afraid the things that make him boring can't be the things that make him fun. You might think it's hilarious casting Kozilek, Ulamog, Void Winnower, and It That Betrays on turn 4 the first time, but all you did was put Splinter Twin on a Deceiver Exarch.
>>
>>47926905

Blind seer does not have the potential to be crazy strong

You could make a really strong mono blue deck and just never cast blind seer

You could also fill your deck with all the Jank color related combos you can and make blind seer as good as possible, that deck would be utter shit though and would never ever ever win a single game
>>
>>47926948
>boring
Just switch up decks then. Not every EDH deck will be 100% fun to play all the time. I like magic because I can do hilariously crazy shit with card combos, it's that simple. If I get bored I switch it up. That's what other decks are for.
>>
hey what is the best boros commander :)
i want to make soldiers :)
>>
Question, is it considered a dick move to make a deck that slows the game down to a crawl?
>>
>>47927141
Anything that takes brainpower or a remotely competent deck to break through is generally considered a dick move.
>>
>>47927124
Boros isn't very good, anon

But I'd vouch for Iroas or Aurelia
>>
>>47926969
This is correct. I have one and while it's fun to play, it is undeniably bad. He's fun to mess around with in a low powered game though.
>>
File: Decks.jpg (194 KB, 1016x460) Image search: [Google]
Decks.jpg
194 KB, 1016x460
>>47917785
I just built the most fair deck I've ever built with the SoI Sigarda, nice departure from what I usually play.

Pic Related
>>
>>47926905
With Dack's emblem, he can get shit done. There are better options, though.
>>
>>47927205
Blind Seer has literally zero synergy with Dack Fayden's emblem. There are very few spells worth running that do. Cyclonic Rift is the best one because you gain control of the permanent, then Rift fizzles because it has an illegal target. The problem being that I'd rather just Rift the table.
>>
>>47927205

You're wrong, Dack emblem is spells only, not abilities

Also you can't run Dack fayden in a blind seer commander deck

Also Dack fayden's ultimate is shit and basically never worth getting to that high loyalty when you could be using his -2 anyway
>>
>>47926470
I have a friend who plays chandras ignition in his brion deck. Its fucking digusting.
>>
>>47917785
Saw some anon post a Volrath deck so decided to build one myself.

Basically it's just punching people with big creatures and blowing up the board multiple times.
>>
>>47927124
kalemne, use urzas incubator and name soldiers, enjoy your 2 drop commander.
>>
>>47926948
>>47926921
>Having to cause bloodshed to summon Satan who in turn helps you summon Eldrazi Titans
>Not fun as hell

I have more fun with Rakdos than I do the rest of my decks except Riku Clones.
>>
>>47927988
Summoning Eldrazi titans might seem fun to you, but hearing the sighs of the people around you who know the game just ended on the spot isn't very enjoyable.
>>
File: 1349098000333.jpg (11 KB, 328x277) Image search: [Google]
1349098000333.jpg
11 KB, 328x277
>>47928097
>Make a deck
>It does ok
>Say since I've been in Magic for much longer than all my friends I intentionally neuter it.
>Friends complain saying it's condescending to make a deck intentionally weaker and they demand I make the best deck possible
>Retweek the deck
>Now win 90% of the time
>Friends complain my deck is too broken
>mfw

I'm not even making gay combo decks. Make up your damn minds.
>>
>>47928097
eldrazi titans dont always just win the game, the only one that ever truely did was emerakul
>>
>>47928153
>Indestructible
>Annihilator 4

Ulamog alone can easily win the game on turn 4.
>>
>>47928097
Yeah, but the same could be said about strict combo decks (or really anything fucking else that has a strategy that actually wins the game), no?
Like, I get more of a sour reaction when I combo out with my Tasigur deck than when I drop a Titan in Rakdos.
What kind of fucking people do you play with?
>>
File: 1342706539273.gif (903 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1342706539273.gif
903 KB, 400x300
>>47928169
>mfw getting off Ulamog, The Ceaseless Hunger on turn two
>>
>>47928143
Sounds like you need to stop being such a faggot.
>>
>>47928226
Or maybe my friends should stop making decks that need 15 mana to work properly
>>
>>47928169
>flash gilded drake
shit son that was worth it, you wreckd me to death
>>
>>47926280
>http://www.strawpoll.me/10487504/r

Depends on the commander...if it's something popular like Maelstrom Wandered or Zedruu, you can't really claim it. But if it's something obscure like Gerrard Capeshan, you might have merit.
>>
>>47928248
Oh so we're talking about high powered decks then? I wouldn't be playing Rakdos if that were the case.
>>
>>47928279
I'm just saying rakdos throwing eldrazi at people is fine and fun, there is a lot worse things that can be done and lots to counter them so they dont just win the game. Honestly master of cruelties or whatever that deathtouch that sets an opponents life to 1 when it hits is a lot worse to see in a rakdos deck than a lot of eldrazi.
>>
How do you guys feel about devouring greed? I'm making BW Ayli token spam and board wipes, and it looks pretty spicy with the new teysa, triplicate spirits and spectral procession, but is it too janked to be worth it?
>>
>>47928369

It's just not worth the number of spirits sacrificed

If you have infinite spirits (like with old Teysa maybe) it could be okay to one shot kill one person

But other than that it's shit
>>
>>47928459
Thanks! I'll cut it, also how many board wipes are too many? I have 4 at the moment, not including deatgbringer regent and magister of worth.
>>
>>47928524

Youll only know you have too many board wipes by playing the deck

Do you find yourself regularly drawing board wipes when they aren't helpful? If so you might have too many

Otherwise I wouldn't worry about having too many
>>
>tfw I unconsciously built all my edh decks with red
>Mizzix, Rakdos, Tajic, Daretti

and I was even planning on building new Omnath but in second thought it seems kind of one dimensional. what are your thoughts on Omnath? what is your favorite Gruul commander?
>>
>>47928633
I'm more a fan of mono green Omnath than angry Omnath. All in all though, my favorite Gruul commander would have to be Xenagod.
>>
>>47928633
Angry omnath is amazing, the bolts are dangerous and your opponents will fear them. There is also embermaw hellion which gives you 1 more damage per bolt. Put that all together with sac outlets and you will have people making bad plays just to survive.
>>
>>47928633
>favorite gruul commander
I'm a huge fan of Rosheen Meanderer.
>>
File: image.png (129 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
image.png
129 KB, 223x311
I just pulled banana king, is he fun?
>>
>>47928989
He's banned in French and super easy to combo with.
>>
>>47929010
Like a stax type deal? Im on edhrec and mtgsalvation reading up now since i never really bothered before.
>>
>>47929030
>edhrec
>mtgsalvation
Is this a bait post?
>>
>>47929030

Nah, he works like oona queen of the fae, he turns infinite mana into victory

You might think infinite mana is already victory but you still need a way to spend it, having that in your command zone is effective because only something like meddling Mage will stop it, even if they kill it a hundred times you can recast it
>>
>>47924946
This is the dumbest thing I've read on /edhg/ in a long time. And I've read a LOT of dumb things.
>>
>>47924946

You can also clone him

I do so enjoy cloning him
>>
>>47929071
Well it's in the op and i want to see what other people are doing and why.
>>
>>47928633
FRF Atarka is my favorite Gruul commander. My friend and I ran a 2HG team as Zirilan and Atarka one night and went fucking berserk on everyone
>>
>>47929497
Well if you want your deck to be the best it can be, you just fill it full of ramp, draw, and infinite combos. Then when you're infinite, you cast Tasigur, Blue Sun someone to death, activate Tasigur, Blue Sun someone to death, activate Tasigur, and Blue Sun the last player to death.
>>
File: 363.jpg (66 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
363.jpg
66 KB, 312x445
How much salt could I sow with this in Shattergang Bros?
>>
>>47929793
What is so salt inducing about losing lands?
>>
>>47929900
People can get real cranky about losing their lands
>>
File: merenofclanneltoth[1].jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
merenofclanneltoth[1].jpg
48 KB, 265x370
Is this fair?
>>
>>47930172
It's powerful and abusable but you have no excuses not to tun GY hate in pretty much every deck.
>>
File: untilyoudie[1].png (231 KB, 597x335) Image search: [Google]
untilyoudie[1].png
231 KB, 597x335
>>47929078
This

Although I play him in a reanimator build, most builds want you to reach infinite mana, draw your deck with Tassy, and then play something like Villanous Wealth or Blue Sun's Zenith to finish everyone off.

That actually seems to be how most UB and UBx commanders work due to being in tutor colors.
>>
>>47928633
Borborygmos Enraged is my favorite, but needs a specific type of deck to thrive.
>>
>>47930172
Gets fucked up by grave hate so sure
>>
>>47930376
>needs a specific type of deck to thrive
Literally all you need is Bobo, 50 Forests and 49 Mountains
>>
File: 303.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
303.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>47928633
>>
>>47925330
Thran foundry?
>>
As someone who likes playing big stompy commander damage decks, how do I deal with people beating me to death with my own commander?

In the last six games I've played, I've literally died to my own commander every time, whether thats playing Kresh, Zurgo, Kaleme or Isamaru

I run boots, but Arcane Lighthouse is a staple in every deck
>>
>>47930440
Mah niggah!

And I'm not even kidding!

Also Illuminati confirmed
>>
>>47930510
homeward path
some of those were white so exile and return under its owners control spells and stuff like eldrazi displacer are good.
for the red ones drop some mind control type spells that grant haste and throw your commander on a suicide trade against another opponent, if you politic it right they'll trade it and you get your commander back in the command zone.
>>
>>47923695
>Endrek Sahr
>Assault Suit
You know what you must do.
>>
>>47930510
im actually running into a similar problem where my voltron sigarda keeps getting lighthouse'd

I am thinking of running some targeted land removal to stop removing hexproof.

You could try homeward path, Vows, assault suit.
>>
>>47930577
>>47930611

I'm running path, but it either gets blown up, tapped down or I just get hit with subsequent control effects

Vows are a good idea, though
>>
>>47930596
Set up an unresolvable infinite loop and make the game a draw?
>>
>>47930775
Nah, just sac enough Thrulls to stop the ability from retriggering, but also keep your commander.
>>
>>47930510
Have you tried not using a stompy commander or just git gud? I've had my mimeoplasm stolen countless time but never once let it kill me
>>
>>47930646
If its gets tapped down, just tap it in response. They can't keep it tapped forever.
>>
>>47929793
>ignore this effect if that player controls no lands

I'm so lost on some of the old wordings. Like, what fucking would get confused by a Magic card telling them to sac a land when they have no lands. Would they assume the lose the game?
>>
>>47930172
>A commander with an ability that only fires once during your end step

seems fine
>>
>>47930999
No it just wouldn't trigger

Don't even worry about the old wordings, they've cleared a lot of them up, unless it's something like Animate Dead
>>
>>47930440
>>47930541

How come no1 made an Illuminati themed deck after her? Just for the giggles oc
>>
>>47931133
Why don't you be the first to make one?
>>
>>47930510
Assault Suit give you protection even if they steal it. Those enchantments that buffs creatures and prevent them from attacking you if you're really paranoid
>>
>>47931122
It just boggles my mind that they needed to clarify to ignore the effect if you can't fulfill it. Same with all the discard stuff that says to ignore it if the target has no cards in hand.
>>
>>47931122
It does trigger, it resolves, and it does nothing, because they have nothing to sacrifice.
>>
>>47931494

Best Elf ball commander? I'd use nath but the discard engine requires more effort than it worth
>>
>>47931739
>needs an engine
>cast Sadistic Hypnotist
>???
>Profit

OG Ezuri and Freyalise are the typical Elfball commanders.
>>
>>47931164
Not gonna lie anon, I tried but not only the cards look underwhelming but I also ran out of ideas!

Here's my jank list of illuminati related cards:
triangle of war,
glaring spotlight,
goblin secret agent,
primeval light,
ur-golem's eye,
pentagram of the ages,
order of the sacred bell,
one dozen eyes,
Isao, enlightened bushi
Primal order
Spectral searchlight
Pyramids
Ruination
Thousand year elixir
Mind's eye
Eyeless watcher
Eyes of. the wisent
Gods' Eye, Gate to the Reikai
Hammerheim Deadeye
Jar of eyeballs
Journeyer's Kite
Lovisa Coldeyes
Pilgrim's Eye
Witche's eye
Eye of ugin

Too bad evil eye of urborg and Evil Eye of Orms-by-Gore are black aligned cards as they're Eye creature types!

Illusions would be fun too

Or maybe eldrazi tribal deck as they take over the world and illuminati would do

Help an anon out!
>>
>want to try Stax
>no idea which general to use
HELP

Shattergang looks fun and I like saccing stuff for profit, and I have a Daretti but I have no idea how to build him
>>
>>47929793
Keep in mind that you'll lose a land too for that, assuming you use bros for it.
>>
>>47932949
I love Hanna, she's really strong at what she does
>>
>>47933058

Hanna can be brutal as Stax. I chose to avoid it for the sake of my group, and chose control instead.
>>
>>47918324
A cool idea for a Zedruu deck that I've seen is "Quest Giver Zedruu" you run stuff like the ordeals, the expedition enchantments from OG zendikar, and alt win cons. The idea is you play as sort of a neutral player and give quests to the other players who will be rewarded for completing it.
>>
>>47918324
Alternatively there's the asshole Zedruu where you run stuff like Steel Golem, Aggressive Mining, Illusions of Grandeur, etc. to fuck people over.
>>
>>47933121
I know, I absolutely love recurring and playing Solitary Confinement every turn and never have to discard anything nor skip draw. Extra fun for Sphere of Safety and Enchanted Evening.
Last Wednesday I had those and Auratog, Stroked for 7 at end step of last opponent before my turn and then topdeck Aura Thief. Everyone scooped when I saced him with Mr. Smile
>>
>>47933248

I actually dropped the prison effects because they didn't do enough in my meta. Instead, I focussed more on basically playing Countertop. It was pretty great, actually. Lots of enchantment and artifact control mixed in with regular control.
>>
>>47933058
I'm a hipster faggot so I'm trying to avoid blue
>>
File: ur271_oloro.jpg (94 KB, 620x453) Image search: [Google]
ur271_oloro.jpg
94 KB, 620x453
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-draw-to-win-laboratory-maniac-control/

Need a few once-overs of my DOCTOR CHAIR Laboratory Maniac deck.
>>
>>47933317
You can see Oloro's dick outline in that art
>>
>>47933297
The prison cards work surprisingly well in 2 of 3 in my metas, and even though I have like 5 counterspells in the deck, it seems to be enough. Besides, it seems like no one can prepare for big effect spells, like Armageddon or Cyclonic Rift and they do way too much work for me.
I would like to have a top and counterbalance too, but own only one top and no balance.
>>
File: 1459045689531.jpg (23 KB, 354x416) Image search: [Google]
1459045689531.jpg
23 KB, 354x416
As someone who only likes to play green... can someone recommend me a general that has a green vibe but isnt green. I'd like 2 colors.
>>
>>47933308
Well, to please the hipster side, play monowhite Nahiri or a Boros deck. Can't get any more hipster than Boros Stax.
>>
>>47933408
Lorthos for monoblue
>>
>>47933408
Marton Stromgald, maybe? Or Patron of the Moon for that sweet ramp into huge creatures
>>
>>47933408
3 colors, but Dakkon Blackblade.
If you just want to play fatties in two nongreen colors, Jhoira, Rakdos, and Brion Stoutarm come to mind.
>>
>>47933385

I found that I had to be more interactive to stop things like T3 Wanderer.

Here's how mine looked before I took it apart.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/hanna-ships-combo-and-control/
>>
>>47932949
Shattergang is fun. Run all the Curses you have access to and get rid of them in exchange for favors

Daretti is obviously incredible at recurring the the nasty artifacts like Tangle Wire and Memory Jar
>>
>>47917785
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prosbloom-edh-2/

Anyone have any suggestions? In b4 "kill yourself".
>>
>>47932993
Fine with me, that's what rocks are for
>>
File: 1465530349962.png (319 KB, 315x448) Image search: [Google]
1465530349962.png
319 KB, 315x448
>>47933445
Ive always wanted to play mono blue liek quality creatures. Like kira as the commander and just like draw cards and play sweet blue creatures.

>>47933473
Brion sounds fuck but sort of solved. Or every Brion deck ive seen is the same and my lgs goers are just uncreative
>>
>>47933525
You should also be running Crucible and/or Loam anyway.
>>
>>47933601
Oh I have Loam. No Crucible yet though

Why the FUCK didn't Wizards reprint that shit in EMA
>>
>tfw I stick to my "no, I have Primal Surge and that's a sorcery" excuse
To be fair, if I ever resolve a Surge, I win, but it's really in there so I don't have to make space for shit like Natural Order.
>>
>>47928633
i really like angry omnath, especially with perilous forays. i have a xenagos deck though that i really like. he's my favorite RG commander.
>>
>>47933641
Because they hate us with all their rotten hearts.
>>
>>47933480
This is pretty nice list. I went for nigh pure artifacts and enchantments route, and have only the necessary creatures, that are peacekeeper, magus of the moat, auratog & chronatog, duplicant, mesa enchantress aura thief and burnished hart. Still need Academy Rector though
>>
>>47933701
My friend has Omnath deck, only non-permanents being Primal Surge and Genesis Wave. I've seen couple of times first card revealed being Wave when Surge resolves, or some minor things before it, like land or two and maybe mystic elf.
>>
>>47933746

That's basically how I ran my TinyLeaders deck. Turbo lockout.
>>
>>47933790

I don't understand how people can make a deck with only primal surge and permanents

When you play primal surge, you should immediately lose from any card draw triggers, no?

At least if you have gen wave as well there's a decent chance you survive card draw triggers

Or do they just run no card draw in the whole deck? That seems bad too
>>
>>47934412
Just run Platinum Angel.
>>
>>47934412
He doesn't have any card draw in the deck if I recall correctly. Only mana.
He dies to fog though, because Craterhoof is predictable
>>
>>47934602

Oh that actually makes a lot of sense
>>
>>47934993
If you just shat your entire deck on the table, you should not need to swing to win. Even in monogreen, you could combo out with, off the top of my head, Melira+Woodfall Primus+Altar of Dementia.
>>
>>47926213
Totally a valid reason for liking her, those are

1) Cool effects that
2) Aren't bombastic enough to earn you hate.
>>
>>47934412
Read the card again.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 52

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.