[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marath is the best commander. Convince me otherwise
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_20160615-133231.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160615-133231.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
Marath is the best commander. Convince me otherwise
>>
File: Elf commander waifu.jpg (12 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
Elf commander waifu.jpg
12 KB, 178x248
>>47915502

Marath isn't even the best commander in those colors and CMC.
>>
>>47915668
This depends HEAVILY on your playgroup.

My group has a serviceable Marath deck but a Mayael would get blown out of the water there.

It's the needing to tap while having nothing innate to shield itself and no access to blue that does it.

Simply, it's slow and hard to defend, vs Marath, whose game impact occurs as soon as he touches the table.

If your playing with people who don't suck you have to ask yourself these questions before picking a commander:
1. Does it do the thing (or give the option to) the turn when it comes out?
2. Can I defend it reliably?

Marath meets 1 of these two criteria so even if it can't reliably meet the second it's still better than Mayael.

(These rules are assuming that you're playing with 3 or more players, like most commander games I've taken part in. With 2 going for the big hard to defend play might be better)
>>
Skullbriar, Zur, and Kresh would like a word
>>
>>47915502
Thraximundar and Animar point their fingers at you and laugh.
>>
>>47915502
prossh, zur, arcum, etc. are all much more consistent
>>
>>47916290
Animar I'll give you, but seriously Thrax?
Sage because the general exists for a reason.
>>
>>47915502
Can't run Cyclonic Rift.
>>
>>47916912
Show me on the stuffy doll where Thrax rekt your board.
>>
The strongest commander in the game is undoubtedly Prossh, Skyraider of Kher for the sheer number of ways he can instant-kill swipe an enemy.
>>
>>47915668
I love Mayael but she's not that safe of a commander in competitive play. Once she's on the field everybody knows what you're doing and she doesn't come with any protections.
>>
>>47917247
>competitive commander

I really really like this meme
>>
Honestly Maelstrom Wanderer is IMO the best commander. You could piece together a bunch of big fatties & do just fine.
>>
>Zur
>Mimeoplasm
>Karador
>Animar
>Narset
>Edric
>Ghave
>Derevi
>Dagsson
>Scion
>>
>>47918091
>Mimeoplasm
I didn't even read the rest of the list, you already family.
>>
>>47915502
Pre or post errata?
>>
>>47920329
what difference did being able to choose zero make?
>>
>>47918091
Accurate though i might put sharum and wanderer on the list as well.
>>
>>47920373
>What difference did being able to make infinite target triggers, etb, and death triggers at instant speed make?
>>
>>47918091
>>47920392

and add Prossh while we are at it.
>>
>>47915502
>ETB with a number of 1/1 counters equal to the amount of mana spent to cast it
Is there any way to cast a creature for more than it's CMC?
>>
>>47920919
Trinisphere and Lodestone Golem can increase the casting cost of creatures. If your commander is sent back to the command zone, it costs an extra 1 mana to summon them every time it happens.
>>
File: shaggy.jpg (54 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
shaggy.jpg
54 KB, 612x612
>>47915902
>skullbriar
>>
>>47917438
Hey man. Duel commander is a blast to play. You should try it.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.