[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 26 too old to get into Magic: The Gathering? Do you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg (52 KB, 300x416) Image search: [Google]
Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg
52 KB, 300x416
Is 26 too old to get into Magic: The Gathering?

Do you guys ever gamble cards in matches? And whoever wins gets gambled card as a prize? How do you play it?
>>
>>47912894
ante is a rule that didn't make it past alpha, so if you're playing by that, you're 20 years behind

you're never too old to pick up a hobby, unless that hobby is surgery or gymnastics
>>
>>47912894
No it isn't and no we don't anymore. There was an official rule that included gambling a random card from your deck.

The best way to learn is to download Magic: Duels and play there.

This game is pretty expensive if you are serious about it. People ALWAYS say they will never spend more than $5 on a card or they only use cards they get in booster packs. This is something they WILL break later.

My personal suggestion for formats (ways of playing the game, they are different either because of special rules or only allowing certain cards) is starting out with Standard and moving on to either Modern or Commander. Modern is the competitive one if that's your thing and Commander is more focused on casual play but can get kind of heated.
>>
>>47912937
>>47912990
Thanks for the responses.

Do you ever gamble cards even though it isn't an official rule anymore?
>>
>>47913113
No, why are you asking about it?
>>
>>47912894
>It's 26 too old to get into Magic?
Into the most widespread and popular trading card game in America and Europe?, Certainly not. Plus, most players are usually between ages 12-16 and 20-30 and it isn't unusual to spot a player on his 50s. There's one at my lgs that plays with his son at FNM.

Gambling cards isn't something people usually do because good magic cards can reach exorbitant prices and if you aren't going to gamble anything good, you might as well not gamble at all. Of course there's a long list pfmagic cards that are literally 5 dollar bills that you could gamble with your friends if you wanted. It's a free country dude.
>>
>>47913113
By the way, its a real pain in the ass to gamble cards because you might loose an important deckpiece, that's why ante sucked so much.

Of course, you are sure to have some good cards you aren't planning to use in a deck lying around.
>>
>>47912894
No.
No.
If you play ante (which no one does), then yes.
Go to your local hobby store and pick up two sample decks (for free) and play with a friend or the store owner.
>>
>>47912894
Card gambling isnt something you are gonna find, unless you are doing something silly among friends. Pretty much every FLGS will forbid it. The rewards for playing are from tournaments that you pay an entry fee for. Age is irrelevant for MtG, disposable income is more important.
>>
>>47912990
>This game is pretty expensive if you are serious about it. People ALWAYS say they will never spend more than $5 on a card or they only use cards they get in booster packs. This is something they WILL break later.
Hm. I've been playing since the original Mirrodin (2003), I play weekly, I've got 21 active decks, and I spend quite a bit of money on MTG, but I'm pretty sure that to this date I still haven't spent more than $3.50 on a single card. I do play with more expensive cards (I've played up to $15 cards, I think), but those were once considered crap rares (more common) or pulled from boosters during limited (less common).

Then again, the rest of my playgroup tends to play lands valued well over $100. I guess I'm the exception here.
>>
>>47912894
No I turn 29 tomorrow and just started playing
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.