[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Exalted General - /exg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: huge mote pools.jpg (205 KB, 590x465) Image search: [Google]
huge mote pools.jpg
205 KB, 590x465
What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: http://theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on /tg/. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
https://mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
http://www.mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

Backer Charm Book:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies https://www.mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: https://imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: https://imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: https://imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>http://pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1
>>
Mana burn edition: Would it be good? How could it be good? Who/what gets it?
>>
File: Alveua.png (129 KB, 200x577) Image search: [Google]
Alveua.png
129 KB, 200x577
Alveua is my waifu.
I want to hold her hand.
I want to hug her.
I want to stare into her eyes until she blushes like a schoolgirl, despite her almost certainly being incapable of that.
I want to kiss her on the forehead and scratch my nose against her dainty little horn (the left one).
I want her to throw me across her anvil, grab her hammer, and forge me into a bra of black steel
I want her to try me on and smile at how cozily I cradle her soft little mounds.
I want to feel the ba-thump ba-thump ba-thump of her demon heart inside of me forever
>>
File: 123456787.jpg (44 KB, 580x326) Image search: [Google]
123456787.jpg
44 KB, 580x326
>>47910888
Trips of truth tell me please, could you play exalted as if it was ancient babylon once?
>>
>>47911539
>'ba-thump ba-thump'
>not 'doki doki'

I mean, if it's already a shitpost, you might as well go for broke.
>>
File: 1446701224421.jpg (152 KB, 1629x733) Image search: [Google]
1446701224421.jpg
152 KB, 1629x733
>>47911701
Sure? I don't know what they got up to, and the setting is a big part of Exalted, so there's probably better alternatives.
>>
>>47911701
You're better off putting a Babylon lookalike kingdom in Creation, adapting the gods and all.
>>
Can a game of Exalted where you only play Heroic mortals be fun? Can you still have a degree of high-flying action without everyone being walking demigods?
>>
Well at least i can safely add exalted to my list of kickstarters that got a bunch of money and still turned out good.
>>
>>47911881
Depends on the players and the storyteller, I'd say.
>>
File: Capture.png (234 KB, 338x495) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
234 KB, 338x495
>>47911539
This is my waifu
>>
File: 1448476363550.jpg (38 KB, 500x810) Image search: [Google]
1448476363550.jpg
38 KB, 500x810
>>47911881
Yes. You can still stunt.

If anything, there's much more suspense and the characters need to be much more careful and act smart, because mortals are so comparatively fragile.

If you do, don't let them be Sorcerers or exalt any them at the first opportunity (if you actually plan to), though.
>>
>>47911888
After 2 years of delay. And not as good as hoped, but then, does anything?
>>
>>47911941
Who is she, anyway? Some kind of DB schoolgirl?
>>
>>47911972
What's the trouble with letting them be sorcerers? I can understand not Exalting them at the first chance, but is Sorcery really that strong?

Also, Heroic Mortals can take martial arts charms right?
>>
>>47912107
>Also, Heroic Mortals can take martial arts charms right?
2e? Yes. 3e? No.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZzmY0Jxyw0
Something tells me doing something like this in Exalted wouldn't really fly with the ACTUAL gods...unless they're bro-tier enough to make you an intermediary.
>>
File: 82dIDP3.jpg (603 KB, 2749x3242) Image search: [Google]
82dIDP3.jpg
603 KB, 2749x3242
>>47912107
Sorcery is very strong. To the point it's comparable to terrestrial Exaltation if not stronger. It would do the same things as Exalting, for the power levels of the party.

Mortals can learn MA, but only the mundane versions of the style, no charms.

Don't play 2e.
>>
File: 1449511014660.jpg (287 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449511014660.jpg
287 KB, 1920x1080
>>47912107
It's not so much the spells, as it is the spells AND the Workings. Sorcerers usually improve themselves using those like it's cyberpunk or something. Usually in less noticeable ways (wings and tails are rare) but still.
>>
File: dosh lords.gif (81 KB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
dosh lords.gif
81 KB, 400x225
Speaking of Endless Legend, how about pic related in Exalted.
Could a (mortal?) sorcerer turn themselves or others into one?
>>
>>47912138
>>47912184
>>47912230
Alright. I knew mortals could learn martial arts, but I wasn't sure on the extent. Are there rules for the mundane styles in 3e?

As for the sorcery, I think it'd be nice for them to access it in some way, though it seems like it could be trouble unless I limit it somehow
>>
>>47911727

No no, I want some good solid beats. Iike a war drum beneath the skin. None of that weak tea doki crap.
>>
File: 1448393576984.jpg (115 KB, 1000x769) Image search: [Google]
1448393576984.jpg
115 KB, 1000x769
>>47912386
The rules are the same as normal combat, just use the style's Ability instead of Melee or Brawl.

Have them run into a sorcerer NPC that can be hired, but only for ludicrous amounts of money. Or, a service (obvious quest hook).
>>
Storyteller with Ex3 crafter as PC here. How do I get my player to gain more Gold XP?
>>
>>47912151
>assuming the gods would even notice before you've already run off into the night
>>
>>47912555
>How do I get my player to gain more Gold XP?
Encourage them to solve WAY more problems with crafting, or have them buy some of the Craft XP reactor charms.

Craft is one of those all or nothing Abilities. If you don't use it CONSTANTLY at literally every opportunity, you can't build up enough points to use it for serious shit.
>>
File: 1464278733755.jpg (1003 KB, 2560x1089) Image search: [Google]
1464278733755.jpg
1003 KB, 2560x1089
If you were to create a new mortal race, how would you do their souls?

Dragon Kings have a finite number and come back perfectly every time, Jadeborn have a finite number but have to be re-found and physically incarnated again each time they die, and humans reincarnate with no apparent limits but are wiped clean after each go of it. We don't know anything about the others.
>>
>>47911881
Yes. Only problem is the lack of diversity. Not much customization options for mortals.
>>
>>47912555
If you buy enough craft charms you will have unlimited craft xp
>>
>>47912584
>buy some of the Craft XP reactor charms

is there a sorted list of optimal reactor Charms? So far the crafter is constantly putting out basic and major projects, but it's just not enough ,especially because he is not yet 'efficient' enough when crafting Superior Projects, wasting a lot of gold XP for every project.
>>
File: 1446419690703.png (234 KB, 476x493) Image search: [Google]
1446419690703.png
234 KB, 476x493
>>47912600
They get to remember vague memories and retain their personality, but only if they died contently.

This would lead to two castes: those that have reached enlightenment and are happy in life, and those that are still "soul searching". The former try to mentor and deal with the latter, and are the rulers, but the latter are the adventurous and experiment a lot.

Manual labor is divided among both, because many reincarnates are content to, and many new souls just want to try it, or use it as a job while they dedicate their free time to other things or whatever.
>>
>>47912683

Here's a reactor starter pact from the archive. You can presumably just build off of them by buying more of the tree after chargen.

Arete-Shifting Prana
Sublime Transference
Tireless Workhorse Method
Efficient Craftsman Technique
Ages-Echoing Wisdom
Craftsman Needs no Tools
Flawless Handiwork Method (x2)
>>
>>47912683
Sublime Transference lets you convert Silver into Gold at a rate of 2:1, and then Gold into White at 2:1.

Supreme Perfection of Craft gives you one Gold point and (Essence + 2) Silver every time you sleep.

Add on to those all of the Silver/Gold point related Permanent charms in Efficiency and Momentum and he'll be literally drowning in Silver and therefore Gold points.

Like, I actually cannot comprehend how your dude doesn't have all the Gold points he needs unless he either literally doesn't craft, has literally no Craft charms, or both.
>>
>>47912029
shes in the solar exalt spread. Pretty sure none of those guys are even sigs, they're just random figures.
>>
>>47912151

The specific god of that city will be pretty pissed, and their close personal friends might help them do something about it.

"The gods" as a group aren't going to give a shit. Terrestrial gods have basically been an atomized feudal society since the apocalyptic end of the first age. They can't get mad as a group because they aren't a group in any meaningful sense.

Celestial gods remain a unified organization. They could theoretically mount a response though. They are too tangled up in corruption and in fighting though. Plus, they see terrestrial gods as inferior and won't care about a single one getting booted from his city.
>>
>>47912785
he is only 70% invested in Craft Charms, and Craft is not his Supernal Ability. That seems to be his problem.
>>
>>47912555
How fast are you expecting to earn them?
>>
>>47912893
What Essence is he? Because until you're Essence 2-3, you can be, at best, a tertiary crafter. You cannot have crafting as your actual specialty until you pick up the mid-essence charms.
>>
>>47912893
Yeah if you expect to make artifacts on a regular basis then you need craft investmen, same as you need combat investment to kill second circle demons or whatever else. Cranking out artifacts straight from chargen really shouldnt be a thing.
>>
>>47912957
Only if you think of craft just in terms of artifacts. You can do all sorts of crazy shit with basic and major projects with low level craft charms.
>>
>>47912991
>Only if you think of craft just in terms of artifacts.
He's talking about Gold Points. Of course I'm just talking in terms of artifacts.
>>
Okay /tg/, what's the greatest amount of Sorcerous motes you could gather in one turn using the shaping rituals in the core book?
>>
>>47912957
so far I have not seen a single 'deciding' Essence 3 Craft Charm. Sure, Essence 2 is important for stuff like Thousand Forge Hands and Sublime Transferance, but what's important about Essence 3?
>>
>>47913127
on average / multiple turns, or as nova?

On average it's probably about 11 sux in my default build
>>
>>47913197
well for one is words as workshop. summoning temporary n/a artifacts is kinda insane and lets you craft artifacts without having a dedicated workshop. Also there's art of permanence, and you can re buy supreme maskerwork focus for double 7's
>>
>>47913354
yeah AOP is as close as you get to 'regular' magical items. You can make a torch that lasts forever with that
>>
>>47910905

What do you mean by mana burn?
>>
>>47911881

Yes, but there isn't a lot of options for mortals.

I'd honestly say using DnD 5e is your best option for them, unless someone wants to houserules how DnD Adventurers in Exalted 3e works.
>>
>>47913127
Well, let's see.

Let's assume you have Intelligence 5, Occult 5, a specialization, and the Heirophant's Eye hearthstone. You use a full excellency too, and a Rating 3 stunt, for a total of 25 dice and 2 automatic successes. Let's assume, by some miracle, you roll nothing but 10s on those dice.

That puts our starting baseline at 52 sorcerous motes before rituals.

Now, do you want to assume that a given person can have more than 3 Shaping Rituals (can be acquired in play, purchased as merits, whatever) or that they can only have 3 Shaping Rituals (are only acquired when ascending circles)?
>>
>>47911888
Not really. The kickstarter wasn't for Ex3 - it was for the Ex3 premium edition. You won't know if the Kickstarter succeeded until you see them ship one of their super-special hardcopies.
>>
The fact that blue jade is air, black jade is water, and white jade is earth is making me unreasonably angry.
>>
>>47911881
>Can a game of Exalted where you only play Heroic mortals be fun?
Yes.

>Can you still have a degree of high-flying action without everyone being walking demigods?
Also yes.

A person with a specialty and 5s in relevant stats averages 5.5 successes on a roll - that's 6.5 successes with a Rating 1 stunt. 7.5 successes if you spend a point of Willpower. On average, again.

5 successes is enough to do things like fall a hundred meters into a hay cart without injury, read a book by touch by feeling the shape of the texture of ink on the page, or what have you.

Heroic mortals, in Exalted, are already capable of incredible things that are all but impossible in the real world. You can't do outright magic things, like hitting an immaterial spirit, but you can do things that strain the suspension of disbelief to its breaking point, like solo-fighting an entire legion or ensconcing yourself as a god-king with some well-timed sleight of hand and a couple of good speeches.

Just remember, though, there really are some things that are just beyond them. They can't push past every limitation with clever thinking and a good roll alone. They're still just mortal, not exalted.
>>
>>47912584
- Take all the "roll harder" charms.
- Make artifacts in a single roll
- Gain (artifact rating x 2 x remaining intervals) gold xp.
>>
>>47914174
I know what you mean. I'd rather black jade be air, blue jade be earth, and white jade be water.
>>
>>47914174

Take it up with the Chinese, man.
>>
File: what the fuck did you just say.gif (2 MB, 350x312) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck did you just say.gif
2 MB, 350x312
>>47914220
>black jade be air, blue jade be earth, and white jade be water
>>
>>47912600

Soul division. Children are born soulless. When you die, your soul fragments into multiple pieces; each piece carrying one aspect of your personality, and some portion of your memories, and ensouls a child. As that child grows, their personality develops around that seed. Parents have been known to murder people with desirable qualities in the hope of them passing to their children (not a sure thing, as there are usually more soulless children than would be filled by a single death).
>>
>>47912893
>he is only 70% invested in Craft Charms, and Craft is not his Supernal Ability. That seems to be his problem.
If 70% of his charms are in one Ability, it really should be his Supernal.
>>
>>47914898
Why? Supernal is to let you pick up an Essence 4-5 power at chargen, not necessarily the thing you want the majority of your charms in.
>>
>>47914987
Generally the ability you want an ess 4-5 power in will require a few charms to get to it, and will be an ability you really want to focus on, and have more lesser charms for. But you're right, it's not always the case.
>>
>>47914987
There's often more than one above-Essence1 Charm you want from your Supernal and that requires investment. Especially from Craft which charmtree is just huge.

>>47914174
Blue jade = sky and black jade = sunless abyss, White as earth is kinda strange but there is marble and other white rocks so whatever. Earth can be also seen as the purest, most stable element.
>>
>>47915092
Yeah, the colours are just a bit unintuitive at first.
>>
>>47914080
Let's go with just the three from ascending to a Circle. Keep it a bit more simple.

What can you do senpai?
>>
>>47914080
You really shouldn't be considering a roll of 50, that would probably take more sorcerers trying this than there exists in creation. An average or like 10% chance might be more useful.
>>
>>47915459

The question was "what is the greatest number of sorcerous motes", not "what is a reasonable estimate of the average number of sorcerous motes".
>>
Is a 3E Lunars book anywhere in planning? Do we know anything about the general order the different Exalt types will get their treatments?
>>
>>47911881
yes, you just need a non crap st and problems on the right scale
>>
>>47915769
Last I checked the order was Dragonbloods, Exigents, and then one of Sidereals/Abyssals/Lunars. Not counting other books like Arms of the Chosen.
>>
File: 1422044313133.gif (478 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1422044313133.gif
478 KB, 500x375
>>47915769
>Is a 3E Lunars book anywhere in planning?
>2030
>>
>>47915459
(not the same guy)
Considering a lvl 1 stunt (because fuck lvl 3) and all that other stuff, we're talking about 25 dice. so 12,5 successes on average. 15 for quite a lot of expensive battle magic would be something around 35~40%, I guess. I can't remember the math, but it's not a big deviation from the average. Even if you don't get it in one turn, those 15 non-excellency dice would net a 7,5 successes on average, getting the spell out in turn 2 is quite possible.

All in all, 15 in a turn is quite doable, 20 would depend on quite some luck and 25 would be night impossible. Now, if you considering the rituals,that would depend heavily on the ones used:

Mara spends an action to roll Essence + Willpower for scene long motes, but no excellencies. Ess3 & 7WP would net you 5 motes on av., but using that action for a sorcery roll would be more profitable. Usefull for stealth or a scene where battle hasn't begun yet. There is also the flunkie tactic where you walk around with a unrequited love toy for easy 4 motes per action (1/day per flunkie), but then you need to worry about their safety...

Ifrit Lord can net you a fuckton of story long motes, but it's because of a Charisma + Performance roll with difficulty 5 - resources of sacrifice. So if you have resources 4 and rolls a full excellency with 4/4 on those (you're a sorcerer, not an performer!) it would potentially give you 8 (av) motes that would be based on previous preparation. If you consider really expensive/long preparation on optimal circumstances some 12 reserve motes are not unthinkable. If you have 5/5 & specialty even more viable... but too much XP only for that. Good for that first turn oomph, though.

Continue...
>>
>>47916336
cont.

Scarred by Nightmares gives you a daily Wits+Occult roll worthy of day-long motes, so maybe 10 on av.(full excellency). Specially useful for signature spells, as they're worthy double for those if spent all at once. With 20 from that alone a turn one Death Ray (at ess 5) is quite easy. Best one for >>47913127 if looking for a quick heavy signature cast. It even allows for a 1x/story bonus of Ess+Stunt+1. If you can't get a spell out with that your dice really don't like you.
That is not to mention taking on Limit Break motes... but then you have other things to be worried about.

Soul-Perfecting Elixir gives you a Stamina+Occult action roll, so worse than a normal Shape one... but it does allow for getting mores while dodging, attacking, disengaging, etc, as with mara. It can also give Ess+Stamina story long motes 1x/story. Not the most efficient ritual there is.

Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes allows you to get half of your Join Battle successes as scene long motes for 1WP. It also lets you stunt 1x scene for Stunt+2 motes for a spell, and store 10 motes on the Talisman. Those 10 motes need a scene of meditation to be stored, and only 1x/day, but you can use Ess+2 per Shape action, and they count double for Signature spells.

All in all, if you can have only 3, the most efficient ones for a burst would be Scarred + Ifrit + Talisman. If it's your signature you could get a Rain of Doom (40sm) in turn one without using a single mote or rolling a die in battle, for fuck' sake. Sure, you only have that at Ess5, but even if not your signature spell those are some easy 25~30sm there, enough for pretty much anything Celestial/Terrestrial Circle without sweat, and Solar with an Excellency (or no roll if Death Ray). Those are scene/story non decaying motes, I must reinforce.

Now, that asks for some heavy Resources/Charisma/Performance. If you don't want to delve into that and have no moral qualms the easy 4 motes from mara... and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>47912555

On a related note, I've seen claims that Crafters can get 100+ successes on a single roll fairly frequently. What are the key Charms to this?

Given a pool of 21 dice (att+ab+spec+full ex), Flawless Handiwork Method, Supreme Masterwork Focus with all repurchases, Divine Inspiration Technique, and First Movement of the Demiurge - it still doesn't look like it'd come out anywhere near that.
>>
File: 1466418921540.jpg (1 MB, 1482x1097) Image search: [Google]
1466418921540.jpg
1 MB, 1482x1097
Would Otto "The man" von Bismark be an appropriate example of an Eclipse?
>>
>>47916914

He should be the poster boy to be honest.
>>
File: 1458520932686.jpg (1 MB, 1007x1211) Image search: [Google]
1458520932686.jpg
1 MB, 1007x1211
>>47916758
cont.2

Oh, I forgot Ifrit's flame drain for Ess motes that you can take at every Shape action. If it's your signature, it won't even diminish the flames. That makes it quite the beast for both burst and sustained casting.

All that is, obviously, considering you can use multiple shaping rituals for the same spell at the same time. If that's not the case (maybe your GM doesn't like the idea of fast sorcerous kaboom), then Scarred becomes the best for Signature burst, and Ifrit for generic burst. For sustained casting Ifrit & Talisman are quite good for signatures (if at higher Essence), but if you can take a battlegroup of unrequited flunkies Mara is helluva good for generic casting.

So yeah, Soul-Perfecting seems to be the worst one around as far as I can see, but beyond that it depends on how you built your character and what you're willing to do.
How big of a burst? A full Excellency and full rituals could put you at 55+ with some luck... at Essence 5. At 3 you could get 30 without breaking too much of a sweat, though. At 1 getting 15 for any combat spell is a snap with Ifrit or Scarred, and even the 20sm for Invulnerable Skinn of Bronze are a breeze with the second one if it's your signature.

So yeah, there you have it, a quick but rather deep study on the viability of burst spellcasting. Enjoy!
>>
>>47916336
>Ifrit Lord can net you a fuckton of story long motes, but it's because of a Charisma + Performance roll with difficulty 5 - resources of sacrifice. So if you have resources 4 and rolls a full excellency with 4/4 on those (you're a sorcerer, not an performer!) it would potentially give you 8 (av) motes that would be based on previous preparation. If you consider really expensive/long preparation on optimal circumstances some 12 reserve motes are not unthinkable. If you have 5/5 & specialty even more viable... but too much XP only for that. Good for that first turn oomph, though.
Don't forget rerolling 1s and double 9s, because you may be a performer who moonlights as a sorcerer.
>>
I'm trying to come up with my own iconography, my own mythos for my exalt. I'm not going to tell you what type of exaltation he will possess because it's clear to me that people are far too obsessed with and divided by their masturbatory fantasies (Don't get me wrong, this is my masturbatory fantasy too. I just want you cunts to stop bickering.). He's going to be someone who ravenously pursues the fruits his genius can produce because he is painfully aware that he'll never be widely loved or admired, regardless of anything he accomplishes. The Hanged Man, as presented by the Tarot, is a major inspiration. He knows full-well that he will sacrifice and suffer for the insight he craves. And he doesn't want knowledge or wisdom, exactly, he wants insight: that undefinable amalgam which when combined with willpower creates unstoppable changes. He is also keenly aware that "sanity" and "insanity" are a sliding scale, not a an on-off switch. He struggles with balancing what is right and what is practical, and deep down he's ashamed because he knows that his child-self would revile what he is gradually becoming. If you can think of symbolism that works with this philosophy, please reply.
>>
>>47913952

I'm assuming he means causing the target to lose motes and take some amount of damage from it.
>>
>>47916794
Ive seen those claims as well and far as i can tell their bs. Granted you don't really need that many successes anyways. You need a hundred across six separate rolls at max.
On a related note, think they still have plans for expanded craft stuff in arms?
>>
>>47917687

But the less rolls you use, the less crafting xp it costs (10gxp per roll), and the bigger rewards (you get 2 x rating x unused intervals in gxp).
>>
>>47917687

>On a related note, think they still have plans for expanded craft stuff in arms?

I think it's just a catalog without guidelines. Exigents will be the same.
>>
>>47917928
They said in that interview that it actually will have guidelines for making evocations. And exigents was always going to have rules for making charmsets.
>>
>>47917969

Well, that's good to hear. What interview did they say so?
>>
>>47918013
https://swallowsofthesouth.com/2016/05/23/swallows-of-the-south-interview-with-ex3-developers/
sorry but i forget exactly where it is
>>
>>47917687

I just did a test roll with the charms I listed at E3, and got 73 successes, with the ability to buy up to 40 more successes at 1gxp a piece with Unbroken Image Focus. Turns out the synergies between First Movement of the Demiurge and Divine Inspiration Technique are crazy good.
>>
>>47918316
Well at a certain point the amount of gold points you spend on the success becomes greater then the ones you save from not making multiple rolls and the ones you earn for having extra rolls at the end.
>>
>>47918404
>

Well, yeah, but if I buy 7 successes, that's enough to finish a 4-dot artifact in one roll, and gives me a net benefit of 11gxp (10 for forgoing another roll, 8 for having another interval remaining, minus the 7 it cost me)

I assume the purpose of that charm is just to push you over the line when you missed by a little bit, not as a primary means of garnering successes.
>>
>>47918454
>8 for having another interval remaining
Wouldn't it be 40, for having 5 remaining rolls until terminus? Or did I misunderstand something along the way in Craft rules?
>>
anima examples share time
>>
>>47918625

Yeah, that would be the total bonus, but the difference between completing it in 1 interval versus 2 intervals is 18.

Completed on the first roll: Costs 10gxp, rewards 40gxp
Completed on the second roll: Costs 20gxp, rewards 32gxp
>>
>>47918626
'A blazing golden lily etched with Old Realm scripture and devotions on its leaves appears, as melodious Old Realm prayer echoes around the Solar.'

Probably the anima I'm most proud of making.
>>
>>47918714

Plus the white xp for hitting a basic objective, of course, but that doesn't vary based on speed.
>>
>>47918626

A high golden arch on which stand a team of puppeteers, putting on a show of puppets doing an abstract dance. Closer examination will show that the puppets at the bottom are in fact people manipulating the strings to make the puppets done up to look like puppeteers on the top arch dance. Even closer examination will reverse the relationship again and so on down an infinite recursion.

The criss-crossing puppet strings occasionally form symbols of some import.
>>
>>47918722
>>47918980
Do these just appear above the exalt or around him or what?
>>
>>47919567

Appears when spending shitloads of essence. Specifically, after using up your personal pool and moving on to peripheral, gradually more dramatic lightshows start to happen

Above and behind, usually. Around, sometimes.
>>
>>47918626
A golden image of smug traces out from behind her, unfurling in a grand display to draw ">:3" in the air around her
>>
Is there anything I should keep an eye out for in Brawl for my supernal if my goal is to be stronk and punch shit good. I am grabbing the uhh...flurry Charmline whose name I forget. Rampage something or other
>>
>>47919567
It's your soul personified and put on a show. It's incredibly breathtaking, awe-inspiring, and as inconspicuous as a kick in the balls. At the highest level, everyone kilometers around can see it.

>>47918626
A field of bells under the dawn of an imaginary sun, the bells rising with it, tolling an hymn to the UCS.
>>
>>47918626
A shield appears on the back of the dawn Caste, with an intricate sculpture of the sun etched into it. It shines a golden light that goes ever brighter: when the dawn uses even more essence, swords will start to appear behind the shield. Shortswords below, then longswords, then bastard swords and two-handed greatswords and even longer blades that remind those who see this display of mighty wings made of swords.
>>
>>47918626
Lights start appearing around the eclipse exalted, like small stars or firebugs that then form two sets of wings that appear on the shoulderblades and on the back. Whatever dress/clothes she is wearing start glowing, and images of doves fly out of the two wings in a whirlwing of untouchable feathers.

A tiara floats above her head, intricate etches in the gold and jewels stuck in the glowing fictitious metal.
>>
>>47921592
Nothing in particular. Use flurries enhanced with Ferocious Jab all day every day. Augment it with Increasing Strength Exercise. Laugh forever.
>>
>>47918626
Tigers made of magical math.
>>
>>47918722
Classy as fuck. 9/10
>>47918980
my own so I'm not gonna rate it/10
>>47920142
Where would the sun's chosen even hear about memes? 4/10
>>47921795
Straight to the point, no muss no fuss 7/10
>>47922435
pretty anime, but not in a terrible way. 6/10
>>47922669
if you're gonna go cliche, that's the way to do it. 8/10
>>47923799
it's all fun and games until you get fall in a river and they all get floating point errors. 5/10
>>
>>47918626
Undulating aurora of pale gold and greyish white surrounded by stray sunrays, resembling cloak moving on gentle wing. Sometimes lighthning-fast golden hands burst from under the cloak, snatching sunrays and disappearing in a blur, almost too fast to see.

That's anima of my theoretical Night with Supernal Larceny.
>>
So the general consensus is that Single Point Shining into the Void is very powerful. How much power does it lose when the practitioner can't access the Mastery effects? What about if they can only access Terrestrial effects? Relatedly, which MAs lose the most power and which lose the least when they're practiced at different levels?
>>
>>47913977
Are D&D Characters not too strong for mortals?
>>
>>47924793
A PC mortal comparable to a DnD character with a couple of levels, in a world where most of the monsters and supernatural beings are meant for characters ten times your level.
>>
>>47924907
*is comparable
>>
Awhile ago somebody asked about hell's music and seemed to dislike the answer of "Demons love metal" I just stumbled on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejqIU2BMkTw ...better?
>>
>>47924793
level <10
>>
>>47925821
I'd say lower, and no mages
>>
>>47926114
Sorcerers are comparable.
>>
>>47918626
Staccato bursts of golden flame for my pyromaniac Twilight.
>>
>>47925804
Based on the descriptions of Malfeas and the music therein, I got the impression that Malfeas was New Orleans jazz/blues as fuck. Full-on Mardi Gras all day, every day. Drums and horns, folks singing it up, and everyone going throughout their business throughout it all.

It's loud, it's lively, it's energetic, and it's very importantly something you can dance to.

It's definitely not that weird, creepy harp music.

https://youtu.be/TniQraQd1TA
>>
>>47926405
>Malfeas was New Orleans jazz/blues as fuck
Agreed.

https://youtu.be/QyER73wEz0E
https://youtu.be/zBhO_T6mvco
>>
File: 4b0157080d6e7ddf4a6a5db0f9568a4e.jpg (781 KB, 2713x1611) Image search: [Google]
4b0157080d6e7ddf4a6a5db0f9568a4e.jpg
781 KB, 2713x1611
>>47922669
>A tiara floats above her head, intricate etches in the gold and jewels stuck in the glowing fictitious metal.

Magical glowing floating tiaras are underrated as fuck.
>>
>>47926541
Speaking of that movie, surprised there isn't a wyld mutation or lunar tell like the facilier's shadow
>>
>>47926614
I'm playing a sorcerer who made himself immortal by cutting off his own shadow to animate it into an immortal spirit. He put half of his soul into that shadow-familiar, so as long as one of the two still lives, the other can eventually heal and emerge again. The sorcerer's now ageless, and can only be killed permanently if you also kill his shadow.

It's pretty neat, and it's kinda what you're suggesting. It's certainly gotten up to some mischief while his back is turned.
>>
>>47926541
so basically https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDzlhW3XTM but its some delusional cultist singing at a bloodape?
>>
>>47926714
Pretty much, yeah. It's loud, it makes you want to get out and do shit, and it's easy to dance to. That's Malfeas. A place of chaos, of life, of hardship, and of dance. Because in spite of everything, it's a place where demons live, grow, and thrive constantly, use music to keep away the deadly quiet, and dance, dance, dance to the beat.
>>
>>47926405
>>47926714
>>47926772

>Pretty much, yeah. It's loud, it makes you want to get out and do shit, and it's easy to dance to.

I will never not take an opportunity to shill for these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-MwK9sn_w4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goxj430QJGM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5TBguwmNM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWPe45ctCfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXyJIOsMEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-kZxZQYF4c
>>
>>47927088

Oh, and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAb6tVGJaf0

Loud? Gets you pumped? Weird fusion of styles that still works? Seems to check out to me.
>>
>>47910888

Why are there so many dykes in Exalted? It's like you can't have a high-Ess female character without her munching pussy on the reg.
>>
>>47927106
>>47927088
Yeah, that'd also work for Malfeas. So would swinging-as-fuck lounge singers, shouty funk music, and more primitive drumming and chanting types of music. Hell, I bet they'd take to salsa with aggressive enthusiasm. Anything with a certain amount of bombast and a beat that just pulls you up to start dancing.

https://youtu.be/hgai9QXubE4

But definitely not shitty harp music, and definitely not death metal.
>>
>>47927130
It's progressive to treat all powerful female characters as though they had to be lesbians.
>>
>>47922872
Excellent. Anything else in Athletics I should look to? I was thinking of Armor Eating Strike when possible.
>>
>>47927257
Nothing in particular.

Thunderbolt Attack Prana on the final attack of a flurry, maybe. But between Ferocious Jab and Strength Increasing Exercise, you can turn a 3 Essence Decisive Flurry into 6 decisive attacks which deal 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 Decisive damage each, plus the bonus from SIE. If you were Essence 2 and had +2 from Strength Increasing Exercise, for example, that becomes 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14. If you use Thunderbolt Attack Prana on that final attack in the flurry, it becomes 28.

That's 68 Decisive damage from Initiative 3 at Essence 2.

Brawl remains, by a wide margin, the most excessively deadly glass cannon fighting style in the game.
>>
>>47927322
I take it my tactic should be to just roll JB, and then bum rush the biggest dude, then?
>>
>>47927346
And try as hard as you can not to get crashed, yeah. You won't have many good ways to Wither yourself back up quickly, so you're going to be rolling with pretty low Initiative most of the time. Investing in some Dodge wouldn't be amiss, since Brawl doesn't really have any good Parry effects.
>>
Anybody have a spare fresh out of chargen lunar and/or infernal I could borrow? Whichever caste you have/like is fine. Thanks

2e obviously, and if you're not gonna help at least spare me the "lol h8" 3e circlejerk
>>
>>47927673
>Anybody have a spare fresh out of chargen lunar and/or infernal I could borrow?
The fuck?
>>
>>47927230

>Anything with a certain amount of bombast and a beat that just pulls you up to start dancing.

This reminds me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I7fs4QDaV4

Wait, wait, WAIT...

Bombast? Dancable? I got you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRVa9-E0Kk

The only thing about that is I think it may be a bit too tongue-in-cheek for Malfeas. I see it as being way more earnest about its music making.

>definitely not death metal.

I dunno man, I like metal, but I've never been super anal about all the different subtypes so maybe you mean this more narrowly than I'm taking it but I'm pretty sure we don't want a Malfeas that can't have some version of this happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7XMHoanegI
>>
>>47914193

This isn't related to heroic mortals, but this makes me think of a question. Does this mean that no difficulty should ever go above 5? I mean other than combat of course.
>>
>>47927778
>Does this mean that no difficulty should ever go above 5?
One of the devs has explicitly stated that he provides even higher difficulties for even more impossible feats.

But yeah, Difficulty 5 should basically cover anything that's nearly impossible instead of outright magical. You'll need Difficulty 5 if you want to wallrun to the top of a tower, or whatever, but anything that a person could hypothetically, if hilariously improbably, actually do? Difficulty 5 should more or less cover it.

Mortals can do some crazy shit with enough dice, a good roll, and a bit of willpower.
>>
>>47927753
>I dunno man, I like metal, but I've never been super anal about all the different subtypes so maybe you mean this more narrowly than I'm taking it but I'm pretty sure we don't want a Malfeas that can't have some version of this happen:
Reimagine Through the Fire and Flames with a Spanish guitar and a really enthusiastic trumpet.

That's the way I'd more imagine it going in Malfeas.

It's really easy to genre-hop on a song just by changing a couple instruments around.
>>
>>47927689
the stat sheets
>>
>>47927130

The world was birthed by lesbian primordials shagging. This act of dykeery within the formless void just as time began left a metaphysical impact on the very b a ture of reality. As women grow more powerful and in tune with their essense, they tend to become gayer.
>>
>>47927873
Right, I get what you're asking for, I just can't imagine why you think people just have premade characters lying around.

Go stat some up yourself, faggot.
>>
>>47926772

How often does he get "killed" and have to regenerate because someone noticed his shadow was missing?
>>
>>47927886
old ones probably
>>
>>47927390
Any good Dodge charms to grab? Never really looked into the Dodge tree too much
>>
>>47927903
Not at all often. He doesn't advertise his immortality, doesn't advertise the fact that he has a powerful spirit-familiar, and has gone so far as to take long-lasting Crippling injuries instead of having to play his trump card.

He's the cautious wizard type, not the type to make everyone behold as much of his power as possible at all times.
>>
>>47927903
What about that sorcery spell that steals or destroys chunks of your shadow?
>>
>>47927926
Any old sheets I have are way, WAY past chargen.
>>
>>47927886
There are people who don't have tons of random ass characters lying around?

>>47927673
I would help you mate, but I'm at me job.
>>
>>47927903
Seems something of an overreaction to me.
>>
>>47927947
He doesn't have to be though. Someone just has to glance down.

>>47927959
Sure, some people without shadows are probably innocent victims. With as much horrible shit as there is in Creation though, better safe than sorry.
>>
>>47927946
Shadow Over Water and Reed in the Wind. Higher up, there are a bunch of nice effects, but at the base those are pretty good.
>>
>>47927946
>Any good Dodge charms to grab?
Yes. Force-Stealing Feint (Essence 2) upgrades Searing Quicksilver Flight (Essence 1). The latter causes opponents to lose 1 Initiative every time they miss you; the former adds it to your Initiative to boot. Permanent, free.

Fourfold Shiver Binding (Essence 2) lets you reflexively spend 4m to gain +1 non-charm Evasion for the rest of the scene in response to an attack missing you.

And Drifting Leaf Elusion lets you spend 1m to reflexively and retroactively cause an attack which tied with your Evasion to miss instead of hit (attacks normally hit when they tie with the target's Defense).

Those four charms (plus Reed in the Wind, a prereq of Searing Quicksilver Flight) are enough to give you a really solid Dodge package to supplement basically anything other than a Parry build.
>>
>>47928024
>He doesn't have to be though. Someone just has to glance down.
The shadow doesn't just fuck off to do its own thing all the time. It usually sticks to his feet and uses Awareness, Larceny, and Stealth to quietly and subtly help the sorcerer out where appropriate. It gets him into trouble sometimes, but not enough to have every been a true liability.
>>
>>47928024
But there is nothing scary about it specifically. I can't think of anything suitably horrible that lacks a shadow and is otherwise able to disguise itself as human?

Also I meant more "what does that do to you when you happen to have stuffed your soul in there"?
>>
>>47928106
>Also I meant more "what does that do to you when you happen to have stuffed your soul in there"?
The way the bond works? The shadow would eventually recover, as long as the sorcerer is still alive, even if it was normally something permanent.
>>
>>47928091
>The shadow doesn't just fuck off to do its own thing all the time. It usually sticks to his feet and uses Awareness, Larceny, and Stealth to quietly and subtly help the sorcerer out where appropriate.

Ah, fair enough then.

>>47928106
People on IRL earth die for shit that isn't 1/3rd as spooky and there isn't even magic here.
>>
>>47918626
'Every step taken triggers a shower of azure sparks as a roiling sapphire flame blazes behind. The ringing of a hammer striking metal resounds out with every step, causing shining golden weaponry to slowly build up behind him, the process restarting to build up a new piece of weaponry once the current is complete.'

Gonna be late to the party but i'll post anyway.
>>
>>47927903
why would you kill someone who didnt have a shadow?
>>
>>47928609
For being a witch/ghost/demon. Duh. Fucking Anathema.

Peasant logic, dude. People have been burned at the stake for far, far less.
>>
>>47927322
This is wrong. Thunderbolt attack prana can only be used from short range, it cannot be used within its own range band according to the text - 'another' range band only.

And yeah, the brawl flurry has massive potential damage, but if you're ever in a position where you can connect all 6 attacks, they are dead anyway. Plus that Ferocious Jab cost adds up, thats 11m 1wp total to enhance every attack.
>>
>>47928759
>Thunderbolt attack prana can only be used from short range, it cannot be used within its own range band
That's a retarded interpretation, and one I would never ascribe to. One that I'm pretty sure that the devs have explicitly stated is wrong, if I remember right. Attack charms that allow you to close distances as part of an attack don't REQUIRE you to be distant from your enemies.
>>
>>47928661
Anthama have extremely distinct traits, namely the caste marks
> People have been burned at the stake for far, far less.
A)I really doubt that
B)This isnt the real world this is creation, supernatural shit is a much more known commodity. Also if you thought it was going to be doing something bad the first instinct would likely be to run away
>>
>>47927838
We need a Gregorian Chant/Ska/Power Metal band.
>>
>>47928798
>A)I really doubt that
How the fuck can you doubt that? Have you never taken a history class? Look up the Salem Witch Trials, the witch burnings that happened all across Germany in the 1600s, fuck, just look at this page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt

If you think that scary shit ACTUALLY going bump in the night is going to make people LESS paranoid about evil magic shit, I literally can't think of anything to say to you.
>>
>>47928796
I've never seen dev commentary to that effect, and it is not a retarded interpretation; the charm text itself talks about how the power comes the massive essence-laden dragoon jump, its a bit silly if you can use it at close range. And as written it DOES explicitly say, this charm can be used on a target at another range band.

If you want absurd OP Invincible Fury of the Dawn pogo sticks in your game, that is your prerogative.
>>
>>47928796
I was under the impression that the technique was based around gathering and exploiting momentum, so you needed a certain amount of space to move to get force behind you.

I don't think that sounds particularly retarded.
>>
>>47928886
>>47928902
>which can be made against aerial targets up to short range, or ground targets at another range band
>which can
>If the Exalt uses this attack to move to another range band
>If
It's super retarded to even a casual reading of the charm in question, and it would be an especially dumb as fuck charm that requires you to disengage before you can make your attack, and I know for a fact there's a Morke quote somewhere that explicitly states that Thunderbolt Attack Prana and Thunderclap Rush Attack just allow movement, but don't require it.
>>
>>47928940
Yeah, the charm is stating when it can be used - ground targets at another range band.

Go on, dig up that Morke quote. I'm waiting.
>>
>>47928940
They specifically changed the wording in the transition from the backer PDF to the final; in the backer PDF it was "an enemy at short range" and in the current, it's "ground targets at another range band." they specifically changed the wording to disallow using it on enemies in the same range band. It's a retarded way to communicate that, but otoh we are dealing with Morke here.
>>
>>47928940
It would be an especially dumb as fuck charm if it enhanced every Iron Whirlwind attack for 4m 1wp, and having a powerful, but situational, gap closer is not a bad thing.
>>
>>47928965
>>47928983
It straight up says 'if the Exalt uses this attack to move into a different range band,' as in it doesn't need to be used in that way.

And it says 'up to,' not 'at least.'

Your interpretations are fucking retarded, and almost intentionally read the charm's text as wrong as possible.

>>47929009
>It would be an especially dumb as fuck charm if it enhanced every Iron Whirlwind attack for 4m 1wp
Well, good thing it doesn't. You'd need to re-use it for each attack in the flurry.
>>
>>47929042
It allows you to strike AERIAL targets at UP TO short range; There might be a flying creature at close, and they would be a valid target for this charm. Attacking them with it wouldn't use your move action, but it would if they were at Short. It also, alternately, allows you to attack a ground enemy at another range band. Ground enemies in close aren't at another range band, so they are not valid targets for the charm.
>>
>>47929042
>Well, good thing it doesn't. You'd need to re-use it for each attack in the flurry.

Oh? Its an attack-enhancing charm, and the special activation conditions of IWA make no mention of whether a charm needs to be supplemental or reflexive, just 'attack-enhancing'

>Your interpretations are fucking retarded, and almost intentionally read the charm's text as wrong as possible.

It says 'another' as in not the current range band.
>>
>>47929042
You're aggressively digging yourself into a hole and you have shit to back it up
>>
>>47929105
>>47929009
It would let you do that regardless of whether it requires you to actually move. If it does require you to move, it means you can launch into another group of enemies to do a double-damage IWA on arrival. If it doesn't, it means you can leap up and slam down where you were, spinning around to do a double-damage IWA where you started.

Either way, Thunderbolt Attack Prana will still work on IWA.
>>
>>47929131
And it requiring you to move means you can't use it to insta-kill any enemy in the game combined with ISE, which is all I want.
>>
>>47929184
>And it requiring you to move means you can't use it to insta-kill any enemy in the game combined with ISE, which is all I want.
Regardless of whether it requires you to move, it only decreases the damage of a Brawl flurry by 1/2 of the damage of the final attack, at worst. That would drop the 68 damage down to 54, for example.

You can still kill any enemy in the game with the Brawl flurry and ISE. It's just slightly less overkill.

It's nice to know, though, that a not-supported-by-the-text nerf was all you wanted, rather than thinking Thunderbolt Attack Prana actually worked that way.
>>
>>47927972
appreciate it anyway, thanks :)
>>
>>47928878
>Look up the Salem Witch Trials
they didnt kill people for superstition there, they killed them because it was an easy way to get rid of people you dont like when everyone is dumb as rocks
>>
>>47929213
>It's nice to know, though, that a not-supported-by-the-text nerf was all you wanted, rather than thinking Thunderbolt Attack Prana actually worked that way.

What the fuck is this? It is supported by the text, and its telling that you did not even bother to address >>47929101

Because you know you're wrong.

>You can still kill any enemy in the game with the Brawl flurry and ISE. It's just slightly less overkill.

In your white-room scenario, sure. In practice connecting attacks with no accuracy bonus against foes with some kind of onslaught negation is pretty hard and will leave you dry real quick. Its great at killing Dragon-Blooded, sure, but there are a lot of things as good.
>>
>>47929351
>it was an easy way to get rid of people you dont like when everyone is dumb as rocks
...and believe in unsubstantiated superstitions, yes. That's like an argument that the Civil War wasn't about slavery, it was about states' rights... to own slaves. People were absolutely killed for nonexistent bullshit superstitions.

And the same is true in every other example too.
>>
lmao at this Holden (!!) quote:
>A simpler statement would be, "I don't like design which encourages the player to engage the system with dishonest intent, or which encourages and rewards dumb stuff." (In most situations, 5/5/1 is both dumb and dishonest, since 1) 4/4/3 is a lot closer to what the player really wants and 2) How many people have you seen who are strong as an Olympic weightlifter but keep over in a light breeze?)
Ah. It'd be a real shame if there was to be a system that encouraged players to take a 5/5/1 rather than the 4/4/3 they'd prefer. A damn, cryin' shame.
>>
>>47924793

In 5e not so much, as things were toned back massively.

Think it would be neat to see though.
>>
>>47929351
I thought it was lsd in the water
and also maybe territory stuff, like people on one end of the city constantly accused people on the opposite end and vice versa
>>
Is there a God of Time, or is that more of a job for the Maidens of Fate? And if so, how broken would an Exigent of that God be if that God gave up as much as he could to make it?
>>
>>47929859
>Is there a God of Time, or is that more of a job for the Maidens of Fate?
Causality is a function of Creation existing; it's too big for even one Primordial, let alone a single god.

I could see a department for overseeing time and causality, though, divvying up the massive duty.

>And if so, how broken would an Exigent of that God be if that God gave up as much as he could to make it?
That's not really up to the god. The Exigent you make is the Exigent that you would ever and always make; just like Conky could never have made anything other than Solars, exactly as they came to be.

To actually answer the question, pretending there is a bureau of time: probably not very. Remember, Exigents don't just express their god's domain like a superpower, they express their god's domain through the lens of the god and themselves. An Exigent of (say) Sorrowful Rivers of Seconds wouldn't be able to freeze time, because the god herself is all ABOUT how time is inevitable and ever-marching.
>>
>>47929408
>>A simpler statement would be, "I don't like design which encourages the player to engage the system with dishonest intent, or which encourages and rewards dumb stuff." (In most situations, 5/5/1 is both dumb and dishonest, since 1) 4/4/3 is a lot closer to what the player really wants and 2) How many people have you seen who are strong as an Olympic weightlifter but keep over in a light breeze?)

what of all those athletes with exploding hearts and whatnot?

I watched pro basketball and saw a 7ft guy collapse and writhe in overly dramatic pain from a slight nudge until he got a fowl declared. does that count?
>>
>>47929912
Alas I will never Toki yo tomare.
>>
>>47928661

doesn't sound like a good fit for exalted
>>
File: 1427899143276.jpg (142 KB, 651x520) Image search: [Google]
1427899143276.jpg
142 KB, 651x520
>>47930001
>doesn't sound like a good fit for exalted
Strongly disagree. Most of mortal society is superstitious dirt farmers. Exalted is a grim and dark setting unless you're an exalt.
>>
>>47930026
What supernatural creature in the *entirety* of the Exalted setting is it a good idea for a peasant to try to kill on sight?
>>
>>47930089

'a' peasant? none. There are plenty that can be dispatched by a good size mob.
>>
>>47930026

>exalted is a grim dark setting

Man, if i'm honest I can't see Exalted as a grim dark setting. I've seen far too many silly shit. Even for heroic mortals.
>>
>>47930145
a) Most supernatural creatures in Creation cannot be killed by mortals, period.
b) Of those that can, many will kill a lot of you before you kill them.
c) Of those that you can kill, extremely few are actively malevolent towards you and thus you have no reason to kill them.
>>
File: 1427898662793.jpg (146 KB, 1228x898) Image search: [Google]
1427898662793.jpg
146 KB, 1228x898
>>47930089
Literally any non-noble fair folk, most undead, all kinds of weird shit that doesn't fall into easy categories, many sorcerers and other practitioners of magic. There's plenty of supernatural threats that a bunch of peasants armed with pitchforks could execute.

>>47930160
Most mortals aren't of the heroic variety. They're of the dirt farming, monster fearing, spirit-abused variety. For most mortals, whether or not they'll starve to death that winter when they nail their doors shut against the annual Fair Folk raids is a serious threat that nobody's going to save them from.
>>
>>47930212
Being /able/ to execute something doesn't make it a good idea.
>>
File: 1318947030421s.jpg (11 KB, 251x250) Image search: [Google]
1318947030421s.jpg
11 KB, 251x250
>>47930026
Doesn't really matter most of the time. If the storyteller wants the story to be noblebright, the situation will be flipped upside down for the peasants and become noblebright when the exalted start dealing out progress like in the first stages of the Golden Age.

If your Storyteller is one that likes cool shit, then he will probably disregard Grimderp fuckery.
>>
>>47930180
>b) Of those that can, many will kill a lot of you before you kill them.
>c) Of those that you can kill, extremely few are actively malevolent towards you and thus you have no reason to kill them.
Guess how much of either of those facts your typical Occult 0 mortal knows. The last time they burned a witch it went great! The fact that she was actually mortal has no bearing on that.
>>
>>47930026
I think we run similar kinds of Exalted games.

Do you have more filthy dirtfarming peasant pics? I suddenly feel like I need them.
>>
File: medieval-peasants.jpg (62 KB, 400x221) Image search: [Google]
medieval-peasants.jpg
62 KB, 400x221
>>47930322
>Do you have more filthy dirtfarming peasant pics?
>>
>>47930235
Dude. Exalted isn't 16th century Europe. From the fucking book:
>By far the most common reaction shared by men confronted with the unknown or obviously supernatural is to assume it’s a god and to seek a priest.
>>
>>47930160

Well, no, it's not grim for people who got dem magics.

It's everyone else who are living lives of sub-medieval squalor. I was about to say "at least they've got maiden tea" but it's bloody resources 2 a dose, so no they dont.
>>
>>47930145
I could see a peasant militia killing a lone or very small sized group of lower tier supernaturals (hobgoblins, a sorcerer, silverwights, et cetera), but if they're in large numbers or are an Exalt that has decent training in combat, their best hope is either for one of their own to Exalt, to flee as far as possible, or capitulate to the enemy. Fuck, even the lowbie Young Dynast in the antagonists section could probably kill hundreds of peasants by himself.
>>
>>47930220

who in here was defending it as a good idea?
>>
>>47929131
>If it doesn't, it means you can leap up and slam down where you were
What? No it doesn't. That's retarded. Are you the guy who tried to activate Adamant Skin Technique by jumping up and down too?
>>
>>47930223

I'm all aboard the improving things for the peasants, and would absolutely participate in a game focused on raising quality of life.

I wouldn't call it "progress" in the political usagr of that word though. Building a network of essence machines that must be maintained my exalts which feed and clothes the masses don't actually empower the masses. They still live and die at supernatural's whims, the whims just happen to be leaning toward nice.
>>
>>47930350
Alright, you got me. I laughed. Well done.
>>
>>47930367
"if it glows run away." doesn't matter what color, doesn't matter what element or if it feels sunny and nice. you'll be trampled at best. exalted's version of 'stranger danger' every kid knows this.
>>
>>47918626
Translucent plate armour of most burnished gold which sits about the dawn as if donned, its motions matching his every movement. Flames of amber and rose-red lick across the surface and trail off into bright pin-pricks of light. The helmet is shaped in the likeness of a great lion, the eyes blazing with white-hot intensity with tendrils lazily flittering about on the edges.
>>
>tfw no open games anywhere
;__;
>>
>>47931119
hold people captive at knifepoint and get them to play with you
works for me
>>
>>47931678
Is.. is that you Theion?
>>
I sometimes wonder if I should just offer to run a game for anyone looking over in these threads on Roll20 and discord. Just to see what happens. Then I remember I have like 4 ongoing campaigns and realize that's just not happening.
>>
>>47931930
That's more a Malfeas tactic than a Theion one.
>>
>>47931119

I'd run one but boy, shift work is a killer.
>>
>Malfeas looks like a heavy metal album cover, but sounds like an early 20th century New Orleans street band
I love it.
>>
>>47932066
I had considered running something but I'm just teaching the system to myself right now and so GMing is a no go at least for a while.
>>
>>47927778
>This isn't related to heroic mortals, but this makes me think of a question. Does this mean that no difficulty should ever go above 5? I mean other than combat of course.
Difficulty 6+ is appropriate for doing really hard tasks in poor situations, or without the necessary preparation, support, equipment, or time.
>>
>>47927778

The core rules have defined difficulties far harder than 5 - just look at the Feats of Strength.
>>
File: megumin explosion.jpg (158 KB, 1596x914) Image search: [Google]
megumin explosion.jpg
158 KB, 1596x914
Explosion! (1wp, 20sm, Celestial Circle Sorcery)
Keywords: Decisive Only, Perilous
Duration: Instant

A molten vortex of plasma churning in a sea of sorcerous dust and motes, a spiral galaxy that forms high above the Sorcerer. A promulgation of the Rules of Nature, the burning name of the destruction incarnate, ancient sorcery drawn from the Five Poles of Creation. The Hammer of Eternity descends from it's core, a star born of fire and destruction, the semblance of Sol Invictus in his Glorious Radiance that descends upon the singularity of inevitability: Explosion!

A miniature sun surges forth from the galaxy of sorcerous essence towards a single point in space within Long range of the Sorcerer's sight, rolling (Occ. + Perc. + Essence) as a decisive attack. The star embodies the pure destructive will of the Sorcerer, with base damage equal to (her Initiative + current temporary Willpower + Essence), and resets her to (base Initiative + Essence) on a successful attack. The star strikes in massive area of effect, incinerating everything in a sphere within Medium range of the point struck and is undodgeable and unparriable with mundane weapons, which melt on contact with the star. Battlegroups are especially vulnerable to this spell and suffer -2 their defense value. Each target that takes at least 3 damage to their health track is ignited in an inferno (environmental hazard equal to Lava, p. 230 of Core) that englufs him all terrain within close range of him, and burns until the next day.

A Sorcerer who knows Explosion! as her control spell may expend her entire periphery essence pool towards the attack, adding 1 die to the raw damage of the spell for every 2m of essence spent.

It's intended to be a step between Brilliant Raptor and Death Ray, adding Essence dice to everything rather than Essence successes like Death Ray does. Too op or too weak or just right?
>>
File: poe.jpg (238 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
poe.jpg
238 KB, 1920x1080
>>47932898
Archetype: 8-Ignition Way: Darker than Black and Blacker than Dark: Brilliance that Burns with the Fury of the Crimson Demon Clan– The Path of Explosions

Shaping Rituals:
Flames and explosions dance with the Crimson Demon Clan as if they were sisters. As she gives life to and shapes new infernos into the world as she walks the Path of Explosions, her conflagrations breathe new essence into her. Once per round, the Sorcerer may draw up to (Essence) sorcery motes from any bonfire or greater ignition she has caused. These sorcery motes last until sunrise and may only be spent towards casting fire or explosive based spells.

Those of the Crimson Demon Clan are naturally inclined towards unnecessarily longwinded spell-chants. When the Sorcerer stunts a shape sorcery action to cast a fire or explosion spell, that spell's cost is reduced by (2+ Stunt Rating) sorcery motes until the end of the round.

The sorcerers who follow the Path of Explosions are forever changed by the power and warmth that flows through them when the shape the essence of creation into a spell, harnessing it for their explosions. Their idea of a proper introduction however, lacks the same sort of impressiveness. Once per story, the Sorcerer may stunt her over the top and theatrical introduction to a unknown group, gathering (3*Stunt Rating) sorcery motes that last until the story ends.
>>
Does the sorcerous motes gathered from shaping rituals last for multiple spells or are they a one-time thing only?
>>
>>47933097
I love the latter two rituals, as well as the Explosion spells. I feel the first shaping ritual is too similar to the Ifrit shaping ritual.
>>
>>47933132

From shaping rituals? They're spent immediately, unless the ritual specifically says the motes last until the end of the scene or whatever.
>>
>>47933132
>Does the sorcerous motes gathered from shaping rituals last for multiple spells or are they a one-time thing only?
It depends on the ritual - whether the ritual says they're collected for a spell, for a scene, for a story, or whatever.
>>
File: missing a session.gif (2 MB, 375x246) Image search: [Google]
missing a session.gif
2 MB, 375x246
>>47933132
>>47933161
>>47933264
Wait - scene long motes aren't motes that you have to use up by the end of the scene? That changes everything.
>>
>>47933553
>Wait - scene long motes aren't motes that you have to use up by the end of the scene? That changes everything.
What?
>>
To clarify, killing the fetch breaks and diminishes them and is more or less like fucking with the primordial's brain and making it rebuild itself without that chunk of its identity right?

and to make a neverborn you just kill its jouten? don't have to also murder all its 3rd circles to make that possible, right? killing the core drags the rest down?
>>
>>47933711
It's intentionally unclear how much of the Primordial you have to GET to kill it. It's up to your ST.
>>
>>47933711

Killing the Fetich collapses the Yozi, yes. It's a bit vague on killing it so it becomes a neverborn. Some parts of 2e say just kill its jotun, others say slay all of its 3CDs in the space of about 24 hours.
>>
>>47918626

A phantom army of soldiers from wars past and yet to come flicker like golden mirages around the Dawn-caste commander. Images depicting all from hard-scrabbled children with daggers in their teeth to a colossal god-like war engines march in formation behind him.
>>
Is the super saiyan charm worth it in Brawl?
>>
>>47935812
If you're going that deep in brawl then yeah might as well.
>>
>>47935812

What, in general? Fuck yes. It's the archetypal Essence 5 Charm: big, flashy, and strong, but costly.

For chargen? Fuck no. Spread out.
>>
>>47935867
>>47935879
I'm going Brawl Supernal and plan to grab that during play
>>
>>47927130

They're not necessarily dykes as bisexual. If there's one thing in Exalted that's realistic, it's that almost everyone is bi.
>>
>>47936206
>realistic, it's that almost everyone is bi.
>in reality, about 1.8% of people identify as bi
>>
>>47936551

Kinsey reports motherfucker
>>
>>47927130
There aren't?

Canonically, who's bi/les? Ledaal Kes' wife, whose name escapes me, Mnemon and Scarlet take female lovers occasionally and? Venus? Luna?

Player characters are bi/les in RL games because their players are, and online because magical realm.
>>
>>47936581

Which didn't use "bi" as a term, and it's closest analogue listed 10% of men, and 4-7% of women as "roughly equal heterosexual/homosexual experience".

Still wrong.
>>
so a solar sorcerer will have three shaping rituals right?
>>
>>47936581
Bi isn't only a 3 on the scale, 2-5 count too.
>>
>>47936837

Cool fact you pulled out of your arse. The whole reason he used a scale was that he didn't agree with broad labels like "bi".
>>
>>47936830

If you only get them through your Sorcery charms and dont bother to RP acquiring more, then yes.
>>
>>47936946
Bisexuality doesn't mean you like guys and girls an equal amount, it means you like them both some amount, it's good to have more nuanced analyses with a scale like that, and letting people feel comfortable to admit minor experiences and preferences.
>>
>>47936950
I mean buying those charms corresponds to one of the initiations right? So like make a bargin with a demon for circle 1, get all that stuff, then make an artifact for circle 2, all that stuff, then maybe touched by the wyld for circle 3
>>
>>47936950

There's no mechanism in the books for gaining additional shaping rituals, or any suggestion that PCs can gain them in any way other than through advancing through the Circles of sorcery.

You can do it, but it's a houserule.

>>47936975

Yes - although you can always just get in deeper with your demon, gain a greater understanding of your artifact, or let the Wyld twist you even more (that is, take additional rituals from your existing initiation). You don't have to get a brand new initiation every time.
>>
>>47936993
>(that is, take additional rituals from your existing initiation)
Oh. I thought taking it once unlocked all three
>>
>>47937015

Nope. Each archetype has multiple rituals and merits, but taking "X Circle Sorcery" lets you pick one ritual, not an entire archetype. The language in the book could be clearer.
>>
>>47936206
lol 9_9
>>
>>47936993
The only "method" is the ST awarding it to the PCs
>>
>>47937448

Hence "you can do it, but it's a houserule". Same way the ST can award the PCs 50 charms at chargen.
>>
>>47936993
>There's no mechanism in the books for gaining additional shaping rituals, or any suggestion that PCs can gain them in any way other than through advancing through the Circles of sorc
I'm sairly sure they explicitly mention that possibility. Away from my books right now though.
>>
>>47937547

I'm pretty sure they don't - I'm working on a digital character sheet, and I scanned it pretty thoroughly when I was trying to figure out if I needed an arbitrary number of ritual slots, or if I could just create a number equal to the circles of initiation.

But, if you find a definitive answer, let me know, as I'll want to update my app.
>>
After the craft discussion a few threads back, I put together a roll simulator:

http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/craft.html

I haven't quite got to 100 sux regularly, but getting between 50 - 75 looks to be a decent average. If there's any math problems, let me know.
>>
Has there ever been a general agreed upon houserule for the Experience costs yet?
>>
Does anyone have the crafter XP reactor charmlist? I wanted to take a look at it.
>>
>>47938307
Use Ferrinus's BP-for-advancement houserules.
>>
>>47938481
>Ferrinus's BP-for-advancement houserules
What
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.