[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - Long Live The Thread Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 4
File: 57.jpg (62 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
62 KB, 312x445
The old thread is dead! Long live the thread!
>>
If I cast Maelstrom Wanderer and one of the cards I cascade is a board wipe does the Maelstrom Wanderer get effected by this?
>>
>>47909701
It will not! Cascade fires off when you cast your Wanderer, so you'll have two Cascade triggers on the stack above Maelstrom Wanderer (the spell). One of those triggers resolves, you find a spell and cast it, that spell resolves. Then the next trigger resolves, find a spell and cast it, that spell resolves. THEN Wanderer resolves.
>>
>>47909719
excellent.

Time to make my EDH group look foolish
>>
>>47909671
>posting the english Spell Snip
Reported to the JCC.
>>
>>47909840
God dammit, I need to delete that from this computer.
>>
If you draw a card before sylvan library triggers and the card you drew gets shuffled into your library and you somehow get it back into your hand without drawing it (tutor effect) and then library triggers and resolves. Is that card considered drawn this turn and you have the option to put it back on top
>>
>>47909898
Why is spell snip always the card in the OP?
>>
>>47910308
Nope. The second the card leaves your hand it becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, its previous selves.

>>47910319
It SHOULD be Scherzo Magico, but I uploaded the wrong one. The reason I always use that is because when I very first started doing these threads, I'd use a random card with "Judge" or "Magic" in the name, but I very quickly ran out. So, I just decided to use the most recent one I'd used (Scherzo Magico) over and over again as the default one, so people would see it and go "Oh, Ask A Judge thread". Same basic concept as Quest and General threads using the same image every time.

As for why it's Scherzo Magico specifically, just luck of the draw. Had I done things in a different order it could have been Judge Unworthy, or Judge of Currents.
>>
>>47909671
Are you an L2 yet?
>>
>>47910423
I am- have been for a little over a year now.
>>
>>47910445
Grats, dude.
So, can I use this information to try to find your real name on JudgeApps?
>>
>>47910558
Better men than you have tried and succeeded, I've never really tried that hard to keep my identity secret
>>
If my opponent plays Sculpting Steel to copy a duplicant does the copy of the duplicant get to use duplicant's ability?
>>
>>47910903
Yep! Sculpting Steel has a replacement effect that modifies the way it enters the battlefield. As it enters, you choose something for it to copy, and it enters AS that thing- like you'd just played that card, pretty much.

So your Steel enters the board AS a Duplicant, and triggers appropriately, eating whatever creature you'd like it to eat.
>>
If I use a disciple of Bolas and sacrifice a Mindslicer do I draw my cards before or after I have to discard my hand?
>>
>>47911035
You sac nd draw as one effect, then the discard trigger resolves.
>>
>>47911035
You'll sacrifice the Mindslicer as part of resolving Disciple's trigger. That'll trigger Mindslicer, but the trigger can't go onto the stack while an ability is resolving, so it just waits.

You finish resolving Bolas' trigger by gaining 4 life and drawing 4, cards, THEN the Mindslicer's trigger goes on the stack. When said trigger resolves, you'll discard your hand.

tl;dr discard after you draw.
>>
>>47911275
>>47911191
fug, there goes that idea
>>
Will doubling season work for doubling planswalker tokens when you play one?
>>
>>47911439
It will. Planeswalkers are treated as having an ability of "This permanent enters the battlefield with a number of loyalty counters on it equal to its printed loyalty number". That's a replacement EFFECT that changes the way it enters the battlefield, and since it's an effect putting counters on your shit, Doubling Season doubles it.

It won't work for activating their Loyalty abilities, because adding the counters is a COST there, not part of the effect.
>>
>>47911519
Nasty stuff. Thanks!
>>
>>47910344
can you upload a vocaroo of you spelling Scherzo Magico?
>>
>>47911550

this is why Doubling Season will never be reprinted in Standard legal set
>>
>>47911617
You so do not want to hear me talk.

>>47911550
Indeed.

>>47911730
Or it'll just be a 'fixed' version that only fucks with +1/+1 counters.
>>
>>47911761
I want to hear you talk.
>>
>>47911730
Meh. My group uses whatever. No limits. Stupid ass decks.
>>
>>47912156
Good old Kitchen Table Magic.

>>47912141
Just imagine I sound like Gilbert Gottfried, or Ricardo Montalban.
>>
>>47912210
Please?
>>
gA no questions, gettin gud or something

thanks for doing these, and thanks for that one thread where you posted judge elesh norn or something and turned on your trip after someone asked you if you were a judge
>>
>>47912660
First, you're very welcome. I love doing these threads, and they help keep me sharp and keep the fire going during the lulls where I have no events to do.

Second, that was fun. Was that the time that I put my trip on and people blew up with reaction images? I recall doing that once or twice before.
>>
How does Urborg work?

Are all lands now only swamps?

Can they be tapped for two mana?
>>
>>47913313
>Each land is a Swamp in addition to its other land types.
>in addition

They are now themselves + swamp, can tap for black mana and have all their old abilities.

It won't add "add B to your mana pool" to their abilities so no, it won't make two mana if it used to make one.
>>
>>47913313
>How does Urborg work?
It can be tapped for black mana, or to make target creature lose First Strike or Swampwalk until end of turn.

As for Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, it tacks on the subtype "SWAMP" onto all your lands (and the inherent ability to tap for black mana that comes with it) without fucking up what they can already do.

They can do the same stuff as before, retain existing types (a Cloudpost is now a Land - Locus Swamp, a Tundra is now a Land - Plains Island Swamp, a Maze of Ith can still fuck with attackers), they just now are ALSO swamps.

You can't tap them for 2 mana, because what it's doing is just giving them a new ability to tap for B. It doesn't merge with existing abilities. For example, a Forest with UTOY out would have two activated abilities: one that's "T: Add G to your mana pool" and one that's "T: Add B to your mana pool". You can activate either one, but you can only activate one at a time.
>>
>>47913313
>Each land is a Swamp in addition to their other types

>Are all lands now only swamps
in addition to their other types

>can they be tapped for two mana
can a scrubland be tapped for 2 mana because it's a plains and a swamp?
>>
if i have my glistener elf delcared a blocker by say a tarmogoyf, and i cast a protection spell giving it pro green before damage, because protection means it cant be blocked by that color, does it become un-blocked?
>>
>>47913399
No. Blocking legality is only checked when blockers are declared. If something gains evasion afterwards, nothing changes in regards to the block.
>>
>>47913399
Nope. A blocked creature stays blocked for the whole of combat, even if everything blocking it leaves the board or it gains evasion after the fact.

Various forms of evasion only render it illegal to DECLARE certain blockers- once you're past that point, it's moot. Your Elf won't take damage, but it is still blocked. You'd have to throw out protection prior to the attack if you want to make it effectively unblockable.

Well, time to leave the office- I'm gonna stop by the supermarket on my way home, so I should be ready to answer questions again in an hour, tops!
>>
>>47913432
thanks. i hate protection and i never fully understand it. probably the only thing i dont understand..
>>47913444
>>
A couple of questions here. So I have a Forced Fruition in play and my opponent with 6 cards left in his library plays a Krosan Grip to try and destroy it.

Would Split Second make Forced Fruition's ability not activate?

If it does still activate, would that opponent lose before the spell resolves?
>>
>>47913560
>Would Split Second make Forced Fruition's ability not activate?
No. Split second says you can't cast spells or activate abilities, but triggered abilities still trigger and replacement effects still replace.

>If it does still activate, would that opponent lose before the spell resolves?
Yes. The triggered ability would go on the stack above Krosan Grip and thus resolve first.
>>
How many times do I have to play with Skulk until it becomes intuitive?
>>
>>47913686
It's always inuitive:

>does your creature have less power than the creature blocking it?
If the answer is no, it's a regular block.

If the answer is yes, it can't be blocked by that creature.

If your opponent chooses a creature that can't block a creature with skulk to block it, that's an invalid play. You can let him re-play it, call a judge, or tell him to cut that shit out.
>>
>>47913772
I mean, I get it, but I'm tired of always having to go over it in my head during combat. It just doesn't stick with me.
>>
>>47913465
Protection from something means that the object in question can't be

Damaged
Enchanted/Equipped/Fortified
Blocked
Targeted

By anything it has protection from. DEBT. That is the full list of things protection stops.

>>47913560
Forced Fruition's ability never activates, because it doesn't have an activated ability. It has a TRIGGERED ability, and Split Second doesn't stop those. Your opponent would cast Grip, the trigger would fire, he'd draw 7 and die, and his Grip would be removed from the game with him (if it were a multiplayer game)

>>47913686
It feels intuitive enough to me. If you have more power than me, you can't block me.

>>47913858
You're "skulking" past the big scary guards. Things that skulk are small and shifty.
>>
>>47914382
lets say i have a 3/3 pro black and red. anger of the gods doesnt kill it, but languish will still, correct?
>>
>>47914459
Correct. Anger is trying to Damage it, which is stopped by Protection.

Languish is not doing anything protection stops- it isn't damaging, enchanting, equipping, fortifying, blocking, or targeting, so it doesn't get stopped.
>>
Hi there I have been out of the game since Lorwyn block and apparently missed out on some stuff. I am looking to get back into limited (constructed is too expensive) and have some questions because it seems like I am out of the loop.

What happened to damage on the stack? I remember sacrificing Mogg Fanatics and Sakura-Tribe Elders with damage on the stack but I guess this isn't a thing now. How does combat work? When is damage assigned?

Can you please explain the colorless mana thing? Is the new colorless mana symbol basically another basic land type?

Has anything else in the rules drastically changed? I don't mean new one-off mechanics like bushido or scry, but game-changing rules like the damage on the stack thing.

Is magic still fun? Is drafting fun? Has Magic Online gotten any better to play?

What happened to the Magic books? I think I read every one from Brother's War up to Kamigawa and though they were really kitchsy they were fun. Were they just not selling enough copies?

Thanks for any help
>>
>>47914522
>Damage on the stack
Removed in the summer of 2009. It didn't make much sense, and it was a real feel-bad for new players that felt like the more experienced ones were basically cheating. Damage is now assigned and dealt all at once in the Damage step- you can have your STE do damage, or you can feed it to your graveyard for a land, but not both.

>Colorless mana
So, we used to use numbers in grey circles to denote colorless mana (which is mana you can MAKE- from things like Sol Ring, or tapping a Bant Panorama) and generic mana COSTS (which are only ever in costs- the {1} for Tarmogoyf, for example). Generic mana could be paid with any kind of mana, and Colorless could only pay for Generic.

Now we have a symbol for colorless mana (so Sol Ring no longer taps for {2}, it taps for {C}{C}), and a small handful of cards that specifically require colorless mana as part of it. There's also a new basic land named "Wastes" which taps for colorless, but it has no subtype- there's still only 5 basic land subtypes, same as always.

>Rules change
Legend rule and Planeswalker rule is the big one. It now only looks at one player's side of the board (IE, we can both have a Legend of the same name), and if there's ever 2 or more under one player's control at once, they pick one and ditch the rest, rather than all of them dying.

Also, lifelink and deathtouch aren't triggers anymore, and lifelink doesn't stack.

>Fun
I still like it. I've been playing pretty much nonstop since 2003, and I think that Magic as a game is in probably the best position it's been in for a decade.

>Drafting
Depends on the format. There have been some "meh" Limited formats in the time since you left, and some amazing ones. People generally consider the original Innistrad set to be the single most perfect Draft environment ever created.

>Magic Online
No, it's still a dumpster fire.

>Books
Phased out after Lorwyn. They switched to comics for a bit, and now to stories on the WotCahS website.
>>
>>47914522
>Is magic still fun? Is drafting fun?
Boy is it ever. Drafting is what Magic does best nowadays.

>Has Magic Online gotten any better to play?
Still a trainwreck.

>What happened to the Magic books? I think I read every one from Brother's War up to Kamigawa and though they were really kitchsy they were fun. Were they just not selling enough copies?
Not enough copies sold. They now have a weekly "Magic Story" column on the main site, which are basically a replacement of the books, in a serialized short story form.
>>
>>47914662
>People generally consider the original Innistrad set to be the single most perfect Draft environment ever created
But since that's not Khans of Tarkir, they are unfortunately wrong.
>>
>>47914662
>>47914711

Thanks, very informative. The legend rule change seems silly but I'm excited that draft is still fun.
>>
>>47914662
Pandering to new players aside, they thought it would increase strategic depth. With damage on the stack you could trade and get sac benefit - that was always the correct line of play. Now you have to choose whichever is better atm. And they wanted to print better sac effects or something. Just wanted to say that bc it makes more sense to me, not wanting to be a smartass or anything.

Also a question. I was playing mtgo and had words of worship, solitary confinement, angellic accord and bottled cloister. I think I may fucked up my triggers but its possible to discard a card from cloister to confinement and replace regular draw for lifegain and an angel? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>47915148
Mainly they weren't liking how people could use clones (or their own Legends in mirror matches) as Vindicates.

>>47915238
Nah, that's also correct.

>Your question
Sure. Put the Confinement trigger on the stack first, then Cloister. Cloister's trigger resolves and gives you back your stuff, plus a draw. You can pay 1 to feed that draw to Words of Worship, gaining 5 life instead. Then, discard from the cards you DO have for Confinement, and at the end of the turn you get an Angel.
>>
What are the dumbest things you can be dq'd for?
>>
>>47915567
"Wanna roll a dice to see who wins?"

Most of the DQs are pretty clear-cut, but they have to be really harsh on improperly determining a winner.
>>
So, since cascade says "you may cast" can I just search my entire library for a specific card that I want to cast, assuming the cascade still works?

Example:
>Cast Malestrom Wanderer
>start exiling cards
>some 1cmc vanilla creature pops up
Do I have to play the 1cmc creature, or can I choose to continue exiling, or if I choose not to cast the creature, does that mean the cascade does nothing but exile my own things?
>>
>>47915592
You stop when you get to a card with a low enough CMC. You can cast that card. If you don't, you put it (and the rest of the things you exiled) on the bottom of your library.
>>
sup g
I'm doing a seminar on Hidden Card Error in a few days. Do you have any spicy examples of new policy in action I can impress the crowd with? Practical or corner-casey, whichever.
>>
>>47915616
You could always do HCE and The Card That Doesn't Exist.
>>
>>47915605
Cool, that makes sense. Thanks!

Now, assuming I have an instant that draws a card, can I play it as an interrupt on top of the cascade to prevent it, or does cascade resolve independently of the stack?
>>
>>47915654
>as an interrupt
>resolve independently of the stack
It seems like you have a very flawed understanding of how the stack works.

The stack does not resolve. The stack is a zone where spells and abilities are put, and wait to resolve one by one. The only things that can resolve without involving the stack are mana abilities- those just instantly resolve without ever going on the stack.

Cascade is a trigger that goes on the stack above the spell with Cascade. You can cast an instant in response to your Cascade trigger, but this will not "prevent" your trigger- the instant will resolve, then your Cascade trigger, then your spell.
>>
>>47915701
Oh, I understand.

Cascade is a trigger, which means as soon as I'm in the process of exiling cards, that assumes people have stopped putting things on the stack, right? So as a result, I can draw a card before or after cascade does its thing, but not while it's doing its thing.
>>
>>47915605
That really doesn't seem fair to them.

Maybe if I was in a trolling mood.
>>
>>47915761
Meant to reply to >>47915634
>>
>>47915741
Right. For that trigger to begin resolving, everyone has to have said "no response" with it being on top of the stack. You can respond before you start digging, or after you finish digging and cast (or do not cast) a spell from it, but not inbetween.
>>
When is the last moment I can respond to an opponent during the combat phase?
>>
If a player has a bunch of colored creatures on the battlefield and one manifest creature and the opponent plays and rolls down ugin wiping his entire board and the player puts the manifest ceeature in exile and the mistake is realized the turn after how do you fix this. Since the manifest creature wasnt supposed to be revealed and was revealed by putting it into exile but I would think that you couldn't confirm that even if it was the only creature/land in exile. What about handling multiple instance of manifest in exile?
>>
>>47917863
Technically? During the End of Combat Step.

You can respond during Beginning of Combat (before attacks, after Main Phase), Declare Attacks (after attacks, before blocks), Declare Blocks (after blocks, before damage), Combat Damage (after damage), and End of Combat Step (still in combat, not in main phase, post damage)

>>47918039
Same way we handle every GRV: I investigate, and make a decision of "what will fuck this game the most". If I feel like the least damaging option is to just leave it in exile, I do that. If I feel like the least damaging option is to put the manifested thing back on the board, I do that.
>>
Do flip walkers come in with double counters with doubling season?
>>
>>47918124
They do. They're entering the battlefield from exile with the number of counters printed, and that's all from an effect, so they will get doubled.
>>
What happens if I play a worst fears on my opponent and then use the worst fears they have in hand to take control of my next turn. Who controls that turn?
>>
>>47918226
Well, you control them during their next turn, and you cast their Worst Fears.

Then, their turn ends... and you are no longer controlling them.
>>
>>47918252
What happens if I make them cast worst fears on themselves

Similarly what happens if a player casts worst fears and I respond with wild ricochet, I redirect the spell to them and copy the spell targeting them
>>
>>47918356
Then they will control themselves during their next turn.

If you use Ricochet, your copy will resolve first, then theirs will. Their effect is newer, so they control their own next turn.
>>
Finally

If I play a wild ricochet and then cast another wild ricochet targeting my wild ricochet can I put infinite copies of wild Ricochet on the stack by targeting my first wild ricochet again and again.

If I can do this is there any way it would be useful?
>>
>>47918549
So, let's say you cast... Lightning Bolt. Then you cast Ricochet targeting it, and hold priority to cast a second Ricochet.

The stack is now
>Ricochet B, targeting A
>Ricochet A, targeting Bolt
>Bolt

B resolves, and you can change the targets for Ricochet A if you want, and then you make a copy. You can have the copy target Ricochet A, and when that copy resolves, have the copy IT makes copy Ricochet A, etc, etc, for as long as you want.

I can't think of anytime this is useful, since none of the copies are cast.
>>
Hey gA, I'm gonna be floor judging my first Comp REL event this Saturday at a PPTQ, and my question is what are the areas I am most likely to need to study in particular for this kind of tournament? I've been jamming policy practice and writing down the ones I get wrong into a notebook which I will have with me, but I figured I would ask you about your first event checklist.
>>
>>47918691
As a FJ, the most important thing is to just keep an eye out for fuckery and look like you're having fun- in my experience, happiness is pretty infectious, and players prefer Judges who don't look like sullen hate-powered penalty dispensers.

As for IPG stuff, it's not too scary because damn near everything 'big' would need to go through your HJ. GRV Rewinds need to go through the HJ, GLs and higher (for anything besides Tardiness or D/DLP, though he should be checking decks with you) goes through him, etc.

Stay hydrated, make sure you have the IPG on your phone just in case, and if you're unsure of something, just talk it over with your HJ and learn a little something. Your HJ is a resource to you as much as you're a resource to them.
>>
>>47918730
What are some good examples of fuckery worth stopping a game over that you see fairly often?
>>
>>47918895
If people have light sleeves, I take a look at the top of their library as I walk around, see if I can see the back through the sleeve. If I can, I scan for DFCs, because that's an issue.

On occasion, stop at a table and watch for a bit- both to watch for Slow Play, and to just enjoy some Magic.

If you hear two players arguing about something, feel free to step in and just ask if they need help.

Basically, be around, and be aware.
>>
>>47918945
At what point of sleeve damage should I be concerned about marked cards? I personally have some pretty effed up KMC's, but the damage is fairly uniform.
>>
File: drrr.jpg (140 KB, 619x445) Image search: [Google]
drrr.jpg
140 KB, 619x445
I too have not played mtg since Lorwyn was new, but I was thinking of making some sort of deck using these two cards. I looked over some of the current rules but I am looking for some clarification. How precisely do these two cards interact? My intent is to make all creatures besides her 0/0 base. Does the order I cast them in matter at all? I do not know how to work this into an effective deck but it amuses me enough to try.

Sorry if this question is super basic.
>>
>>47919070
If you feel that there's a possibility they can tell the cards apart from the damage, you should step in. Marked Cards can just be a Warning and a "get new sleeves before next round", it can be a Game Loss and "resleeve, now", or it can be a DQ, depending on your investigation.

>>47919094
The order is irrelevant. Godhead of Awe sets P/T to a specific number, and "setting to a number" always happens before static changes like Night of Souls' Betrayal, regardless of the order played.
>>
>>47919094
Nope, works exactly how you think it does. It will interact with other effects that modify power and toughness, but timestamp order (the order in which you play cards) only matter when the effects are applied in the same layer, like Godhead saying everything is 1/1, if you played a card later that said "Everything is 2/2" it would override it.
>>
Do two creatures entering the battlefield via something like collected company "see" each other enter the battlefield? For purposes of cards like Thalia's Lieutenant and such.
>>
>>47919114
One last question I suppose, gA, and forgive me if you've answered this before, but what's your region?
>>
>>47919325
They do.

>>47919350
USA South.
>>
>>47915571
>Wanna roll a dice
>a dice
>a
>singular
>dice
>plural

I don't need to hear the rest of the sentence to DQ someone.
>>
what does the all knowing judge think of the new birthing pod sorcery?
>>47918834
>>
>>47919393
Fake until proven otherwise.
>>
>>47919393
If it's real, neat. If it's not, also neat.

Also, bedtime. I'll answer more questions in the AM.
>>
>>47919648
You should use this for your pedantic rants in future threads, gA.
>>
Does "protection from instants" protect a creature from being countered as it's being cast?

TLDR Can I Essence Scatter/any-other-counter the new Emrakrul?
>>
>>47920906
Protection only functions on the battlefield
>>
>>47920906
yes you can
>>
If an effect, say Tragic Arrogance, causes me to sacrifice a bunch of clues as well as Graf Mole, would I still gain life for sacrificing them even though they are all sacrificed at the same time?
>>
>>47921274
yes you will.
things that etb or ltb at the same time will see each other entering/leaving.
>>
>>47919393
Sauce

Also thank you judgedude for making and monitoring these threads, I've learned alot from them.
>>
Since you're a judge I bet you can answer these for me

>do you get paid for judging events?
>What is the first step to becoming a judge?
>>
>>47921637
You get some reimbursement for your time, but it isn't something you're going to make a career of. Mostly you need to have a passion for the game and the community.

First step, contact your regional coordinator/find a L2 to mentor under.
>>
>>47914662
>be relatively new to game
>origins prerelease, play a legendary whatever like kothophed
>opponent drops a kothophed "yours dies"
>w-why
>"legendary rule, can only have one on the field at a time"
>say okay, don't figure out til months later that i got fucked, don't even remember the guy's face
>>
>>47921637
>do you get paid for judging events?
You get paid by the rournament organizer.

>What is the first step to becoming a judge?
Go to an L2+ judge or write them, and tell them "I'd like to become a judge". They will be more than happy to help you. Of course, reading the Comprehensive Rules and Judging at Regular REL documents beforehand is a big plus.
>>
>>47922372
This is why you never trust your opponent with the rules. Not only they may be trying to fuck with you, but they can be simply mistaken.
>>
>>47909671
>Ask a Judge
What other boards do you browse regularly?
>>
File: nahiri-parties-out.jpg (164 KB, 970x550) Image search: [Google]
nahiri-parties-out.jpg
164 KB, 970x550
>>
>>47920906
Protection only works on the battlefield.

>>47921274
Yep. Your efficiently-costed star-nosed friend will 'see' things leaving the battlefield with him, so he 'sees' you sacrifice your many clues and gains you many life.

>>47921414
I'm glad they've been of use to you!

>>47921637
I do get paid, yes. How much depends on the event and the TO- we work as something similar to an independent contractor, in that there's no set-in-stone payment structure for us. At large events like GPs the PTOs have pretty similar payment structures based on number of days worked and your level, and at the high level events run directly by WotCaHS (like the Pro Tour) we're actually contractors directly for Wizards and paid by Wizards, but most of it is at the store level where we negotiate our pay with the owners.

The first step to becoming a judge is to contact an L2 or your Regional Coordinator.

>>47922514
Honestly, very few anymore. I used to browse /co/ a good deal a few years back, and occasionally /v/, but eh. Not so much anymore.
>>
>>47923768
FLGS judges generally get paid in product, right?
>>
>>47923789
Depends. There's a good amount of L1s that are employees at the shop, so judging is just part of their normal duties, so they just get paid hourly as normal (or maybe a little more on top). Some of the non-employees will just work for free entry for stuff like FNM, Game Day, Prereleases- any of the Regular REL events they'd like to play in.

A lot work for product, largely because stores are more willing to pay in product than in cash, but plenty prefer (or will only take) actual money. When I work a PPTQ, I rarely take product, because it turns out I can't pay a mortgage with boxes of SOI.
>>
If I have Hixus, Prison Warden and Saffi Eriksdotter on the field, and my opponent swings me, if I block a creature with Hixus, and he dies, and in response I use Saffi to return him to the battlefield, can he come back in time to trigger and exile any other creatures I didn't block?

I'm assuming not, but if there's some way to pull this off then he might maybe get a slot in my Saffi deck, he's pretty awful though desu so still pretty unlikely.
>>
>>47924216
If you use Saffi "in response" to him dying you're shit out of luck because he's already dead.

If you use Saffi PRIOR to him dying, you're still out of luck. Hixus only triggers at the moment that you take the damage, IF he entered the battlefield this turn. You'll get slapped by the unblocked things and Hixus won't trigger because the intervening-if clause isn't true, he'll die to lethal damage, then come back from Saffi and do nothing because you're already past the point where he'd trigger.

What you'd need to do is pop Saffi and kill Hixus yourself prior to the damage step.
>>
>>47924228
Yep that's what I thought.
I guess he's just a useless sack of shit then. He could have at least permanently exiled creatures but nooooo.

Thanks.

Oh, while we're on the topic, know of any super secret tech plays with saffi? I know she's unique in that the creature hits the yard and then comes back, so you get more ETB triggers and a death trigger (which regenerate doesn't give you) but I wonder if there's any weird stuff you can do with her?
>>
Can you explain why it is that when you scape shift for seven land and get six mountains and a valakut and someone destroys a mountain that the mountain they destroyed does 3 damage and the rest do none.

I always thought that the destroyed mountain saw 5 other mountains at the same time and when it was destroyed it remembered the 5 and valakut dealt damage but the others only saw 4 when they went to resolve and did nothing??
>>
>>47924298
None I can immediately think of that aren't obvious exploiting of ETB/LTB effects, like you said.

>>47924347
So, the reason is because Valakut has what we call an "intervening if" clause in the trigger. Those are worded as "When/whenever/at [TRIGGER], if [CONDITION], [EFFECT]". Any time that trigger would fire, it checks the condition and only fires if that condition is true. Then, it checks that condition again as it goes to resolve.

If I pop one of your mountains, you have 6 Valakut triggers, one per mountain, because you controlled 5 other mountains when each one entered. However, I have popped one of your Mountains. As 5 of those 6 triggers resolve, you do not control "5 other mountains", because I blew one up. You control 4 other mountains, so those triggers just do nothing- they don't resolve at all.

That LAST trigger though, the one for the mountain I blew up? It resolves. As it goes to resolve, it sees those '5 other mountains', so it still gets to bolt something.
>>
I have a caged sun that is a forest, what happens?
>>
>>47924583
It depends a lot on how it got that way, but nothing special happens for it being a forest.
>>
>>47924583
Assuming you chose 'green', the game might be a draw.

If you use a land to add green to your mana pool, then your Caged Forest Sun will trigger and give you one more. This is an ability of a land adding green mana to your mana pool as well, which will trigger ANOTHER version of itself. Which will trigger ANOTHER version of itself, etc.

There's no alternate choice you can make to break the loop once it starts, so unless someone elects to break the loop by destroying the Sun or something, the game will end in a draw.

However, they do HAVE that option. One of the requirements for a triggered ability to be a mana ability is that it triggers from an ACTIVATED mana ability. So the first Caged Sun trigger is a mana ability and doesn't use the stack, but the rest of them are NOT mana abilities, and DO use the stack.
>>
>>47924298
Saffi is combo.
>>
>>47924874
If caged sun was written in such a way that it made the land produce the extra mana instead of caged sun itself. Would tapping any land add infinite mana
>>
>>47925045
I don't comment on cards that might exist, I only answer questions about cards and rules that do exist.
>>
How the fuck do I get into MTG with no friends who are remotely interested?

Right now I dick around with Magic Duels, and i was thinking about getting Cockatrice.

Like should I just go to Friday Night Magic with a prebuilt deck and hang out and watch/learn and maybe play a game or two against someone?
>>
>>47925844
Visit an lgs and scope it out. You can get a feel for the culture just by watching people play. Despite the horror stories from /tg most stores are full of cool people. Introduce yourself to the owner (usually the guy behind the cash register) and let him know you are a noob. I would recommend doing draft first. You don't need to worry about the meta or formats and even if you lose every game you walk away with 3 booster packs more cards than you came with
>>
>>47925844
Go to Friday Night Magic and play a draft or two. This will keep some guy with a $700 deck from stomping you
>>
>>47925844
If you have a shop, I'd recommend swinging by during a not-so-busy time (so a weeknight that isn't Friday, for example), and ask about the MTG scene. Explain that you're fairly new to PAPER Magic, having mostly played online, and you want to get a feel for the area before you buy into paper.

What formats do they play? Is it a Constructed-heavy or Limited-heavy group? Is Magic one of the cornerstones of the shop, or do they just have like 3 kids who come in to play kitchen table and buy a booster every Sunday? Is it Standard, Modern, or Legacy heavy? How competitive?

Then, with that information, you can decide what to do.
>>
>>47925844
Use XMage over Cuckatrice.
>>
>>47926253
It's a trade off. Integrated rules enforcement vs. passable GUI and an actual playerbase.
>>
>>47927522
>GUI matters
>>
So I was like "this dude is doing good stuff, I might write him a recognition", so I looked you up and dude. You're gonna get a shitton of foils from the Spring wave.

Nice job.
>>
>>47927557
Yeah, I was actually fairly surprised to get 4 recs. Turns out us having a Slack helps me interact with people in my region- who knew?

I have gotten Exemplar for this before, but it was more a mixture of here, an AAJ group on Facebook, and helping out in IRC, so I don't know if they'd buy a second recognition for basically the same thing, but I appreciate it all the same.
>>
>>47927619
Yeah, you might get one from me if I have any spare ones by the end of the wave.

First time I ever hear of Slack, me not being in the USA regions. Seems like a useful tool. How is it better than Facebook groups?
>>
>>47927693
It's great because you can create individual "rooms" for certain topics and join/leave them at your leisure, as well as set notification things. Plus it's really easy to use on your phone via the app. For example, we have an SOS room that we all leave notifications set to max for, so if someone needs help we'll get pinged even on our phones. For rooms where the chatter goes longer, you can set it up to just give you a browser notification without sounds or push notification.

Our area had tried to do Facebook groups and chats before, but they just fell apart because discussions would get lost in the chats and people got sick of the notifications. This is a lot more elegant.

And yeah- if you feel like tossing me one, go for it, but please only do it if you just have a spare at the end of the wave. I guarantee you there's a local L1 who deserves it more than I do, and I'd rather you give it to them.
>>
>>47927522
Which one has integrated rules enforcement? I'd rather avoid that so that i actually learn
>>
>>47927730
Cockatrice has no rules enforcement, it's like playing at your kitchen table, but that's not gonna help you learn the game because it'll let you do whatever, no matter how illegal it is.

Also, unless it's changed from a few years back when I used to test decks on it, there's a lot of toxic assholes with very... let's say "creative" interpretations of the rules.
>>
>>47927775
If my Reflector Mage leaves the battlefield, can the creature it named be cast by my oppponent?
>>
>>47927890
It can, because the ban on casting spells with that name is just a continuous thing set up by the resolution of the triggered ability. The duration of that ban is "until your next turn", not "until your next turn and as long as you control Reflector Mage".
>>
>>47927912

I'm so confused

You said the rules correctly but your answer to his question directly contradicts the rules you quoted

>it can

What did you mean by that?
>>
>>47927912
I'm sorry, I'm confused. You're saying they CAN cast a creature with the same name as the one bounced by Reflector Mage, should Mage leave the field?
>>
>>47928072
>>47928082
I meant it can't. Somehow I was simultaneously answering "Is it still banned" and "Can it be cast" and muddled it- mea maxima culpa.
>>
>>47928072
>What did you mean by that?
meme questions shouldn't get answered
>>
>>47928109

Weren't no meme m'lord
>>
>>47928109
It wasn't a meme question, it was a legit question and I brain-farted and gave conflicting answers.
>>
At a GP side event, I noticed that the judge who wrote down my GRV Warning failed to write anything on the front of the match slip, ensuring my infraction would get unnoticed by the scorekeeper.

Should I feel bad for not pointing it out to the judge who made the mistake?
>>
>>47929855
Unless it was like, the SSS, you shouldn't have even gotten a Warning. Most of the side events are Regular REL.
>>
>>47930062
Nah, it was one of the bigger ones, definitely CompREL.
>>
>>47922391
>>47921758
>>47923768
Thank you, I eventually want to be judge.
As a judge, how many sanctioned events do you still play in?
>>
>>47930130
We don't expect players to know the minutiae of judging and how to handle logistical stuff, so we're not going to punish you for not pointing that out even if you notice it.

Now, you might be a THEORETICAL jerk for not pointing that out, but not in a way we can punish or judge you for.

>>47930162
Personally? Very few. The only time I play in a sanctioned event is if I'm judging it for free entry, like prereleases and occasional Game Days. That's just because I'd rather be judging than playing, though- plenty of Judges find time to compete, and I know a lot of L2s that train up competent L1s specifically so they can take a weekend off and ENJOY an event for once.
>>
>>47930192
>Now, you might be a THEORETICAL jerk for not pointing that out, but not in a way we can punish or judge you for.
Yeah. I acutally noticed after the judge was gone, and then I forgot about it after the match. What bothers me the most is that the judge might have been inexperienced and could have used a piece of advice.
>>
>>47930289
Mistakes happen on both sides of the red pen. You didn't intend any malice, and it's quite possible that judge realized it after he walked away but forgot the table number. I wouldn't beat yourself up about it.
>>
>>47930314
Fuckin' traffic. Home now!
>>
>>47932458
What was the most interesting GPE-HCE ruling you gave or seen?
>>
>>47932527
I've actually only given like, one or two HCE penalties since the changeover from DEC, and they weren't very interesting. Can't recall any interesting ones off-hand, either- I usually jot down the interesting stuff in my notebook, but I don't think I've had many interesting ones.

There has been some debate about how to handle HCE with The Card That Does Not Exist.
>>
>>47932548
I wore a black bowtie to my first PTQ event I worked. Then I found out our RC was attending the event to play. Proudest moment was him complimenting me on the bowtie (though he said it was good it was black so it matched the shirt).

Sorry for the random post.
>>
>>47932577
Don't be! I like it when people share stories about a game we both love. Especially when they're happy stories like yours.
>>
>>47932548
So, does HCE exist only because Patrick Chapin got a game loss on camera last year?
>>
>>47932674
We actually had him correct us on a judge call, when he called one on himself. It was a good day, though crazy.
>>
>>47932689
HCE exists because DEC didn't make a lot of sense at that point. We used to give a GL for something called Failure to Reveal, for stuff like "didn't reveal a morph" or putting a Domri Rade card right into your hand instead of revealing. It was super narrow so we got rid of it and rolled it into GRV as an upgrade. In 2015, we changed DEC to no longer get a game loss- now it was the 'reveal and ship' fix. We put a lot of 'similar' stuff into DEC, but most of it wasn't drawing cards, so it confused people.

So, going off of the philosophical similarities of the different things that gave DEC at that time, the policy-makers shifted it to flow from that similarity and named it HCE.

>>47932700
I'm glad you had a good time.
>>
>>47932762
Yeah. I'm just finishing a seminar about all of this. Complex stuff.

But if I recall correctly, the whole discussion about game losses for GPEs that started the DEC change train was sparked by Morphs in Khans and then amplified by Chapin's GL, right?
>>
>>47932865
Couldn't tell you how much Chapin's GL had to do with it- I know the number one complaint back then was "Why don't we just use the tapes?!" and we had to keep explaining why there can't be a set of rules for feature matches and another set for everyone else.

I know that Morphs were a big concern, though.
>>
>>47932883
The silliest fix I've read so far is the remedy for accidentally returning a morphed creature to your hand. Opponent picks one card from your hand and you put it face down onto the batlefield, regardless whether it has morph or not.

Like, what
>>
>>47909671
So, I was playing around with my Brion theorycrafting and ran into this little problem:

If a copy token of a legendary creature is made, can I react with brion to sacrifice the token before I'm forced to sacrifice it due to the legendary rule?
Say, I cast Gisela (or any other legendary) with Flameshadow Conjuring on the board, and I use it to make a copy token of her. I'd think that I could react to sacrifice the token to brion, but I'm not sure if the legendary rule isn't something special with that.
>>
>>47933562
First, you do not sacrifice anything to the legend rule. You pick one thing, and put the rest of them in your graveyard.

Second, no. The Legend Rule is a state-based action, it gets checked and enacted before you get priority. It doesn't use the stack and it can't be responded to.

Now, what you COULD do with Flameshadow is cast your legend, throw it at someone with Brion (with the trigger on the stack) and then pay R to get a token as the trigger resolves... but you'd lose the token at the end of the turn.
>>
>>47933596
Ah, ok, thanks for clearing that up. I guess token shenanigans would get wildly out of hand if it was like I originally thought.
>>
Other than the previous
>lets roll a die to decide the match
What is the oddest dq you've ever given?
>>
>>47932548
>The Card That Does Not Exist
What is this?
>>
>>47934039
Sylvan Library.
It is a terrible card from a judging perspective.
>>
>>47935504
hahahhahha mystery solved

>>47933596
>Dragon Tempest
>Douchelord Kolaghan on field
>summon second Douchelord Kolaghan, must put one in the bin
Does Dragon Tempest deal 2 damage or 1? assume no other dragons
>>
>>47935663
One. It checks for the number of dragons on resolution. The redundant copy of Kolaghan is KolaGONE long before then.
>>
Fucking storm took out my internet, sorry guys.

>>47933910
I've only given three personally, and none were 'odd', I'm afraid. Very few will be.

>>47934039
Sylvan Library. You have to jump through hoops for it to 'work' right in paper Magic and it's the source of a lot of frustration. Senior Judges often just answer theoretical Sylvan Library questions with "That card doesn't exist"

>>47935663
1. It checks how many Durgons you have as it resolves.
>>
>>47936703
>Fucking storm took out my internet, sorry guys.
Which variant? What are you going to sideboard against it?
>>
>>47936757
Kek'd
>>
On my way to a judge conference. Wonder what my sweet foils are gonna be.

Do you like judge conferences as much as an average judge?
>>
>>47937350
What goes down at a judge conference, or is it top secret shit?
>>
>>47937507
Not at all secret.

The main events are seminars on various relevant rules and policy topics, and some open discussion. Then whatever else that might or might not be on the agenda. Depends on the location and scope of the conference.
>>
>>47910933
This makes me think. What happens if someone clones a Sakashima the Imposter?
>>
>>47937350
I love conferences, and wish I could go to more. Since they stopped stapling them to GPs they're tough for me because I'm on the fringes of our Region, so the centrally-located conferences are like a 10+ hour drive and I have trouble justifying taking that time off even though I really want to.

Luckily we're getting a regional conference this summer that's only a few hours away!

>>47937507
Nah, it's super lame from an outsider point of view. There's seminars and presentations on Judge stuff, lots of discussion, maybe some Judge's Tower. They used to be held off to the side at GPs, and the general public was welcome to come sit in, but it got logistically difficult.

>>47939759
Depends. If they clone a Sakashima that isn't currently copying anything, they have a copy of Sakashima that's effectively just a 3/1.

IF that Sakashima IS copying something, the Clone will pick up the copy effect and be a copy of whatever Sakashima is copying.
>>
>>47940369
Given the brexit vote went down, is it now illegal for my opponent to have foreign language cards?
>>
>>47941236
Nah. We aren't Konami.
>>
About new Emrakul

If my opponent cast new emrakul and EoT I cast an Extra Turn effect at instant speed (using Brain in a Jar for example) What woould happen in the next turn?

Would my opponent control my next turn or I would play normally that extra turn?
>>
>>47942527
Your opponent will be controlling the next turn you happen to take, whether it's your normal one, or an extra turn you create. It's not "the next turn your opponent would normally take", it's just flat out "during their next turn". So if you were to flash in a Time Warp with Brain in a Jar, you'd begin an extra turn right after theirs, and they would control you during said turn. Then, you'd take the extra turn 2Mrakul creates, then your normal turn.
>>
>>47942580
Do you really feel 2mrakul is a better shorthand than newmrakul? I think newmrakul flows better when spoken.
>>
>>47942605
Newmrakul doesn't fit right for me, and it's horribly eclipsed by Newlamog. I can't think of anything better yet, but 2mrakul seems alright. I'm sure there's better, though.
>>
>>47942605

I find newmrakul physically unpleasant to say, too much tongue work
>>
>>47942798
What's the matter, are you mad'mrakul?
>>
If I play maelstrom Wanderer and one of the cards I cascade into has an X in it's cost or has an Entwine cost can I pay that extra?
>>
>>47943769
>X
With exactly one exception, no. If you're using the alternate cost of "free" for an X spell, X must be 0. If it's one of those "X can't be 0" cards like Mind Grind, you just can't cast it.

>Entwine
Yes. The reason for this is that Entwine (and kicker and a lot of other stuff) are ADDITIONAL costs. You get the option to pay those even if you're using the ALTERNATE cost of 'free', but you will still have to actually pay. If you Wander into Tooth and Nail, you can Entwine it by paying 2, but you od have to pay the 2.
>>
>>47943769
X is zero.
Yes, you can pay for Entwine / additional cost.
>>
>>47909671
If I have an untapped Goblin Sharpshooter and my opponent has a bunch of 1/1s, can I just burn through all of them in sequence?

Also, can I only do this during my turn?
>>
>>47943822
You can absolutely do that. Tap Sharpshooter to blast a 1/1, it dies which triggers Sharpshooter to untap, it can smack another one, repeat until you run out of X/1s to gun through.

You can do this during someone else's turn just fine.
>>
>>47943839
Hot damn. This just made my level of Hornet Queen fear so much lower.

By extension, two untapped GS's makes a field of X/2s just so much dust... So happy now.
>>
>>47943912
Yep! Tap the first one, slap for 1. Tap the second, slap for 1, it dies, untaps both of them. Repeat as necessary.
>>
If i cast Clan Defiance i can target multiple things right?
>>
>>47945451
Yes you can choose one, two or all the modes.
>>
>>47945451
Yep! You announce which mode you're using as an early step of casting it, and then select 1, 2, or 3 targets.
>>
How does the new Thalia and ravlands interact ?
>>
>>47946605
Assuming if the abilities from that thread is true, then the shocklands will etb tapped whether you paid 2 life or not.
>>
>>47946605
Same as they already interact with Kismet. You can pay 2 life if you want, but they're still entering tapped.
>>
is drafting from premade cubes / packs fun with 3 people in a FFA, me and my friends have been doing it for years, and we enjoy eachothers company but im wondering if us playing the game is actually any fun for us.
>>
>>47950139
You're the only ones who can answer whether or not it's fun. If you works for you all, then that's great. There's no wrong way to play as long as you follow the rules.
>>
>>47950139
I mean, doing a 'normal' booster draft with 3 people is a bit odd because you see the same pack 4-5 times instead of seeing 8 different packs, but I can't tell you if it's fun for you or not. That's kind of a "you" question, friend.

And with that, I am off to bed. I've got a 3 hour drive followed by a PPTQ tomorrow, so I need my beauty sleep.
Thread replies: 199
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.