[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Random generator thread. Let's talk about random gener
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 1439274234337.png (1 MB, 832x945) Image search: [Google]
1439274234337.png
1 MB, 832x945
Random generator thread.

Let's talk about random generators /tg/. I've personally been using a lot of http://fantasynamegenerators.com/ to quickly make up new names for my npc:s when I GM, because I hate names.

What other good random generators are there? Lately I've been wanting a random generator that simple gives me a few personality traits that I can quickly apply to spontaneous NPC:s to give them more personality.

If you don't use random generators, how do you pick names for your NPCs?
>>
>>47905487
>If you don't use random generators, how do you pick names for your NPCs?
My NPCs usually have improbably apt names. Like a pirate with weather magic named Eismeer.
>http://www.dict.cc/german-english/Eismeer.html
Yeah, I'm really uncreative, so I just name characters an adjective or noun from another language.
>>
>>47905487
donjon.bin.sh has all kinds of awesome generators. That's my go-to.
>>
>>47906021
>Yeah, I'm really uncreative, so I just name characters an adjective or noun from another language

As long as you're consistent and characters from the same culture have names that at least look like they could have come from the same language, then that's cool.

The idea of a random fantasy name generator is appalling to me. How is it supposed to know what kind of place your setting is?
>>
>>47905487
>http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
>read that as FantasyMemeGenerators
>somehow, less interested

When I name NPCs I have a list of given names and surnames, nicknames, etc and mix and match. Most of the online generators get a little odd in their word grouping and it throws me off.

Personally, I struggle with towns and settlement names, as they normally denote some story or history of the area (Falkstead...who or what were the "Falks"?) and I get bogged down in useless details.
>>
File: 1391884052414.gif (216 KB, 322x201) Image search: [Google]
1391884052414.gif
216 KB, 322x201
>>47905487
>If you don't use random generators, how do you pick names for your NPCs?
Might sound dumb but a lot of different species I write have languages based around different real languages. So usually it traces back to stuff like that, as well as some association with the character
>Rich family
>Species' Language is based off of Swahili
>One of the words for "Fortune" in Swahili is "Utajiri"
>From there either keep it or spin it a bit like "Ootaugiri"
I mainly only do it for last names
>>
1) Slam keyboard
2) Insert some vowels
3) ????
4) Profit
>>
How often do you use random tables to make stuff?
>>
>>47905487
How to get names
Step 1: grab any package and item around you
Step 2: search for words printed on it
Step 3: read the word backwards
Step 4: ????
Profit
>>
>>47905487
I've had some weird times with Ehren. Someone was playing Heavyweight Samurai & I kept shuffling everything he had into the deck.
>>
Not names (albeit that's in there) I made a super simple random character generator a while back to help reduce powergaming and more importantly setup time in my 3.5 games. Should go back and redo it with a bigger focus on making balanced characters/adding more feats.
>>
>>47914472
https://amridell.github.io/Random-Character-Generator/

Here it is btw
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.