[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: characters.jpg (239 KB, 1600x899) Image search: [Google]
characters.jpg
239 KB, 1600x899
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Old thread:>>47892671

How did your character transition from their background to their class? What was the kindling that started the fire?
>>
>>47892671
>285 Replies
>New Thread.
Little trigger happy? Or just tired of the stupidity?

You can't escape the stupidity.
>>
File: Backstory 1.png (158 KB, 1320x800) Image search: [Google]
Backstory 1.png
158 KB, 1320x800
>>47904829
>How did your character transition from their background to their class? What was the kindling that started the fire?

Here's an extremely long pic-related wall of text to explain what amounts to "magic is interesting and exciting!"

Admittedly, it was for a 3.5 game that fell apart, but I'm probably going to use the same general character concept for a 5e game soon.
>>
>>47904846
>old thread not even auto sageing yet
ah well
>>
I need to provide the most utility possible. How do I do this? I need advice. It's going to be at level 10.

I was thinking wizard but am unsure.
>>
>>47904930
B A R D
A
R
D
>>
>>47904938
Are they more utility than wizard? If so how? I know they have more skills, but less spells.
>>
>>47904829
One day he looked across the sorghum fields his family had been working since the days of the great migration and said to himself "fuck this honest work shit, I'm gonna go hook up with some of them tomb-robbing sell-swords and get me a bunch of gold and glory!"
>>
>>47904947
eh its a toss up. depends on what your party needs, really. if you have other party face/healer/skill guys then wizard, but if your party is all fighters bard might be helpful.
>>
File: Untrained Skill Checks.png (377 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Untrained Skill Checks.png
377 KB, 640x480
>>47904930
This is seriously going to depend on the make-up of your party. No healers? A cleric is probably going to be the most useful to them. Already got all the bases covered? Go Bard so they can cover them harder.
>>
File: 1463569173425.jpg (145 KB, 628x1273) Image search: [Google]
1463569173425.jpg
145 KB, 628x1273
>>47904829

Finally succeeded in killing my master, and now I wander the land in search of my own death
>>
File: DFD03.png (351 KB, 570x806) Image search: [Google]
DFD03.png
351 KB, 570x806
So in order to make the Big Bad vulnerable and break his magical protection. the party has to travel around the country and collects bones and assemble a skelly and fight it.

What should it be a skeleton of?

party is a level 6 party of 4

lore bard
frenzy barbarian
arcane trickster
tempest cleric
>>
>>47904930
Variant Human (Skilled) - 4 skills
Background - 2 more skills
Rogue 2 - 4 more skills + expertise, cunning action
Warlock 2 (EB + agonizing blast for all you need for combat, Beguiling Influence for 2 more skills)
Knowledge Cleric 1 - 2 more with expertise, grab medium armor and a shield
Lore Bard 3 - 4 more skills, jack of all trades, expertise
Ranger 1 - 1 more skill

All 18 skill proficiencies (6 with expertise), medium armor and a shield for AC, EB + Hex leaves you set for combat. Go lore bard 4, then rogue 4, then warlock 4 to grab some ASIs if it suits you. Drop that level in ranger if you don't want all of the skill proficiencies.

Point buy after racials: 10 14 10 10 14 16

First few levels would be rough but you'd be good in combat by 4th if you stay at range, and by 5th you'd have your AC up there as well.

The real challenge is trying to explain why you're a thieving bastard in a pact with some otherworldly being while also worshiping a god of knowledge to the point of gaining power from them personally, while also learning the magic of song and story and hunting in the wilderness.
>>
>>47904930
variant human with the magic initiate feat and a undying tomelock and a noble (retainers) background
>>
File: kungfuhustlefrog.png (112 KB, 282x238) Image search: [Google]
kungfuhustlefrog.png
112 KB, 282x238
>>47905000
Congratulations, you're a blood knight
>>
>>47905092
I dunno. Someone with on a truly indiscriminate quest for knowledge who's willing to literally try anything once sounds like it could be fun to play
>>
>>47905075
*The bones of a legendary hero that defeated the big bad in ages past
*The bones of an ancient metallic gold dragon that promised it would return when its protectorate needed it most.
*a powerful spirit or demon capable of defeating the big bad but creates its own set of problems
*The bones are an ingredient for a ritual that would summon/brew up an item capable of striking down the villain
*the bones are actually pieces of an ancient iron giant that the party can use to smash the villain, his fortress, and his army of mooks while enjoying the luxury of a cool leather interior.

Might have lost track of the original idea, but hey.
>>
My warlock was a noble of a vampiress's court and they became lovers, but in the twisted vampire way. She fed him her blood and now they're bonded and he's gaining more dark magics as her blood corrupts his. He's now in a new land and although he travels with a group of adventurer's, his loyalties lie with her via the subconscious bond she has over his mind. It's been fun to roleplay so far.
>>
>playing a d6-1 hitdie character at level 1
They'll never expect it when I spontaneously DIE
>>
>>47905596
I hope you don't get hit once by a goblin
>>
File: 20140509HOPennyDreadful2-1.jpg (37 KB, 540x395) Image search: [Google]
20140509HOPennyDreadful2-1.jpg
37 KB, 540x395
>>47905596
make friends with the cleric.

>>47905538
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGPgRHqUJwQ&t=1m17s
>>
File: 1466040472398.png (2 MB, 747x1023) Image search: [Google]
1466040472398.png
2 MB, 747x1023
i want to play a bard but i know nothing about musical instruments. what instrument should i use /tg/?

>this flute seems kinda neat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HyNydVIji4
>bagpipes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9y4zFEr0V8
>violin?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjD62r9einQ
>drums?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPD4Ae-Zv_Y
>sax?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_9IMZcbKHQ
>banjo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

something else i dont know?
>>
Do creatures know when they're under the effects of spells?
Do they know what spell it is and how it works?
Should the Orc I cast Booming Blade on know that he will take damage if he moves, so he switches to ranged?
>>
Will WotC release pdf versions of their books for D&D?
>>
>>47905652
If you start with 5 HP, there's not much there to heal. The Cleric won't have revivify and taking 10 damage instantly kills, or 6 damage if at 1 HP.

>>47905652
This'll pretty much be like XCOM with new, unarmoured recruits.
>>
5e allows me to play a sea themed druid?
>>
>>47905657
Whatever you want. My bard didn't really play an instrument. He'd tell stories, ding or just orate instead.Talk with your DM.
>>
>>47905814
The druid in my current campaign has the sailor background, wants to be own a ship, and his most used form is giant octopus.
>>
What do I run after Princes of the Apocalypse?
>>
Ia mobile any good for a Monk or Archer?
>>
>>47905962
Arguably mandatory for a fist monk, handy for the other archetypes.
Okay for an archer, good for shooting, taking cover, repeat.
>>
>>47905814
There is a land Druid option to pick coast, which what I took when I played one.
>>
who /redbrands/ here?
>>
>>47906032
Dont monks already come with speed boosts? They can just jump over tough terrain and balance.
>>
>>47906095
Who picks Mobile for the speed boost?
The free disengage is the real winner.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 379x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 379x384
How to roll up a 5e Mad Jack?

Barb/Bard?
>>
>>47905927
OotA is good. You'll have to up blockstats and enemy numbers left and right, but desu starting an underdark campaign with lvl1 isn't very "realistic"

>>47905771
I don't think that they will. When I look at my collection of pristine 4e PDFs I kinda understand why.
The books are worth buying though!
>>
>>47905977
yes
>>
So how would one go about making a 5e game based on the hyperborian age, drawing inspiration from Conan the barbarians?
>>
>>47906331
DMG pp. 38
>>
>>47904829
>Player makes deal with a devil for a badass sword
>Basically a slightly toned down vorpal sword
>When he kills something with it the beings true name appears somewhere on his body as a tattoo
>What he hasn't realized yet is that it also forces the creatures soul to become a wrathful spirit that cannot rest until he is dead

Did I do this right? He got a legendary magic weapon that has a downside which will eventually bite him in the ass.
>>
>>47906414
what monster
>>
>>47906441
Wraith
>>
>>47906450
well where do they appear

but yah cool
>>
Would it be a terrible idea to give Warlocks an invocation that lets them cast Misty Step at will?

I seem to remember them getting a similar ability in 4e and it would really fit a character concept one of my players is making. Plus, there's precedent in other invocations letting you cast 2nd level spells at will, mostly available at 9th level, and a 30ft teleport every round in exchange for your bonus action isn't terribly broken I don't think. Alright, having typed this I've just convinced myself to allow it, but what's your opinion /5eg/?
>>
>>47905352
I'll write up vessel shortly. Just so you know it will probably be vaguely inspired by the Binder class from 3.
>>
>>47906466
Well the soul is trapped in torment on the astral plane where the creature was killed. Roughly three days after that it emerges into the prime material still filled with that same agony. After that it has few memories of its previous life but it knows that it can end its torment by killing the creature that killed it. The wraiths can vaguely sense the direction of where he is at any time.

Oh I also forgot to mention that when he kills a wraith formed from the sword the name is removed from his body and the devil that gave him the sword claims the soul.
>>
>>47906471
I wouldn't, that's ridiculously strong, and IIRC all the at-will warlock invocations are 1st level
>>
>>47906532
They get Levitate and Alter Self, which are 2nd level, although those are both more for out of combat utility.

Perhaps if I made it cost their movement, or just made it give them a 30ft teleport speed rather than involving Misty Step?
>>
>>47905657
Piano obviosly.
>>
Feats goid fir a monk? Sentinel any good?
>>
>>47906780
Getting Dex and Wis to 20 may be boring, but it's better than any other option. Do that first.
>>
>>47906685
I'd say it'd work, but I'd give it a high level requirement. As anon said, at will is strong, and Alter Self only becomes available once you hit 15th level.
>>
>>47904829
>How did your character transition from their background to their class? What was the kindling that started the fire?
Actually the entire concept for my current character came from me mashing up odd background/class combinations. The one in particular I settled on was criminal > warlock. Although I have a sailor > monk concept waiting for my next character.

As for the transition: essentially a young street tough, with an absent father figure, doing enforcement work for a local gang, mostly out of boredom and a desire for adventure, ended up getting in too deep. The result of this was getting first his mother and then himself killed concrete shoes/"sleeping with the fishes" style. The mother dying under the sea served as a catalyst to provoke the attention a chaotic elder god who had the sea spit out the enforcer, before he drowned, and gave the magic powers to pursue vengeance; mostly for shits and giggles to see how much the unhinged criminal would tear things apart.

At this point the ex-enforcer reasons for adventuring are two-fold. To train for vengeance and the money. The idea being he's playing off his criminal appearance/history as a front for why he's compulsively hoarding money whilst he's actually doing so to buy a resurrection spell for his mother.
>>
>>47906816
I mean Im variant human so I start with one
>>
Can a druid have a spouse and children?
>>
>>47906780
I like mobility.
>>
>>47906895

No, impossible by RAW
>>
>>47906895
If they cant than my druid is doin it wrong. He has two kids and his wife cooks for the rest of the party in camp.
>>
>>47906895
Raw, only if the spouse is a beast or plant.
>>
coastal druid transforming to dolphin
>>
>>47904829
My character for an upcoming game is an outlander fighter/rogue

He was kidnapped by a dao at age 7 because an earth genasi wanted a son and wished for it without realizing the child would be taken from someone else. He grew up resenting how the weak could simply have stuff taken by the strong so he trained himself to be peerless with a weapon (battlemaster), or even without one (tavern brawler) and eventually murdered his adoptive parents and formed a band of desert raiders (rogue) out of hatred, not realizing he had become what he hated.
Eventually his band's secret hideout was discovered and all his men killed by a combination of their own foolishness and the cleverness of a slave girl who drowned them in oil while they were trying to eliminate the man who found them out. Mortally wounded by the woman, he managed to live with a grievous injury that left him with a weak heart, but decided to leave the desert and make his fortune as a wandering mercenary (outlander).
>>
Does anyone have any non-shit homebrew Eldritch Invocations?
The base list is pretty small.
>>
>>47906500
Pact of the Vessel
Your Patron grants you the priveledge of bearing a personal vestige of their own essence, making you something both more and less than mortal. An avatar of your Patron resides within your own mind, shielding you from harm or granting you the use of their great knowledge. When you complete a short rest or long rest you may also choose an investiture from the following list:
-You gain a skill or tool proficiency of your choice.
-You have advantage on Perception checks.
-You gain proficiency with Wisdom saves.
-You are immune to the Charmed condition.

Invocations:
Utterance of the Unbound (prerequisite Pact of the Vessel, 5th level)
The spirit which inhabits the hollow within your soul can now extend beyond your own body. As an action you may call upon your Patron's avatar to come forth. Doing so immediately ends any ongoing effects granted by your spirit and you cannot call it forth again until you complete a short or long rest. Calling forth the spirit has one of the following effects:
-You may cast Spirit Guardians without expending a spell slot. This spell does not require concentration.
-You create an Unseen Servant as the spell, but it has attributes equal to your own and all proficiencies you have. It cannot attack or cast spells but it can use the help, dash, disengage, and use item actions.
-You may cast a spell from you bonus spells granted by your Patron without expending a spell slot.
-You may immediately regain the use of one of your features granted by your Patron as though you had completed a short rest.
>>
>>47907069

Apotheosis (prerequisite Pact of the Vessel, 11th level)
Your Patron's avatar and you have shared a soul for so long that you have begun to resemble each other, becoming a single unified whole. You may now pick two investitures from your Avatar and can change one or both as a bonus action.
Additinally, you may now pick from the following greater investitures:
-You have resistance to damage from spells
-At the start of each of your turns you regain 2 hitpoints if you have no more than half your hitpoints left.
-You gain a natural weapon of your choice. You may have it deal 1d6 damage with 10ft reach, 1d8 damage with the finesse property, 1d10 damage after moving at least 20 feet in a straight line towards your target, or 1d12 damage with the Two-Handed property. You gain proficiency with it and it is treated as a magic +1 weapon.
-You gain a fly speed of 30ft
>>
>>47907076
Hmm... That bonus action swap ability is too strong. And potentially allows you to have every skill proficiency on demand. I'm going to say that clause should be dropped entirely. And probably limited to only one of the Greater Investitures when picking two.
>>
>>47906882
Mobile is the biggest, Defensive Duelist if you pick a finesse weapon as your starting weapon is good. Observant and taking a +1 wisdom is good cause your passive perception becomes insane.
>>
>>47905737
>Do creatures know when they're under the effects of spells?
It depends on the spell. Read the description, and if that's not clear, ask your DM.
>Do they know what spell it is and how it works?
Depends on the spell. Read the description and if that leaves it unclear, ask your DM.
>Should the Orc I cast Booming Blade on know that he will take damage if he moves, so he switches to ranged?
Probably, but ask your DM. He might even know he'll take damage if he moves but move anyway.
>>
>>47906101
>The free disengage is the real winner.
It's an upgrade on Open Hand's Flurry that denies reactions (don't have to hit, or flurry), but it's not clear if it's worth it over the stat boost. Shadow can teleport in/out, or dart in and out freely under Darkness, but neither of those gets used much. So it's probably most noticeable for way of shadow.

Nobody plays 4Elements, Sun Souls have ranged attacks, and Long Deaths don't need to run away as much.
>>
I'm working on a homebrew fighter archetype, and while it's pretty well underway, I'm just not sure about one of the 3rd level features.

The meat of it is:
>While you are wielding [certain weapons], you can choose to make a leaping strike. You can make a single melee weapon attack during a jump, but this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.
There's a little more, but I'm concerned because this sounds like something a DM might rule to allow anyway, at least at higher levels. I don't want to give the fighter a class feature that takes options away from other fighters or other classes, you know? None of that Rumormonger BS.

I could give it some extra benefits like the no-OAs thing and maybe dealing extra damage, but I still feel like I can't get rid of the implication that the base jump-attack ability is something you can't do without this feature's permission. Am I overthinking it? Is there a better way to phrase it? Or should I just try to come up with a different feature?
>>
File: 1428986836150.jpg (87 KB, 680x544) Image search: [Google]
1428986836150.jpg
87 KB, 680x544
I'm looking into running an Eberron campaign, the first foray into the setting for them or me. Of course, it seems like Artificers are absolutely vital, and Investigators are a good thing to have handy as well. Are the UAs the best options for these? How might I tweak them to improve them? Or are there homebrews that do it better? I know I've seen the Machinist class around (I think it's one of Walrock's?) but that seems explicitly about more grounded technology and would require some bending to fit into an Artificer's role.
>>
>>47908198
You should just have it so they can only make one attack, but get to move without provoking opportunity attacks. Then add a damage bonus to it at higher levels when they're giving up more attacks to use it.
>>
>>47906331
look up Primeval Thule campaign setting
>>
>>47908225
The Artificer subclass is a better fit for an Alchemist sort of wizard, rather than someone more mechanical like your might be looking for. I haven't seen any homebrew, but I think it'd require some redesign from the ground up.
>>
>>47908225
There's an artificer in Eberron UA article. It's a wizard subclass that doesn't resemble original artificer in any form. Even WotC admits it was a bad idea. For investigators, there's Inquisitive rogue article in one of the more recent (April?) UA
>>
I like 5e so far but I'm not to fond of the world I'm playing in atm. The DM is new so I'm cutting him some slack but he doesn't seem to be improving
>>
File: Phalanx.jpg (158 KB, 399x291) Image search: [Google]
Phalanx.jpg
158 KB, 399x291
>>47905657
Definitely banjo.
>>
>>47908198
How about changing the phrasing in a way that implies you can do part of it normally. Like:
>When you attack after jumping at least 10 feet...
Or just make it a specific action that clearly adds a jump (that doesn't count against your normal movement) with an attack.
>>
>>47908384
He's the DM he gets to pick what you guys do, thankfully there is a solution.

DM yourself.
>>
>>47908225
>>47908367
The UA artificer is fine. And WOTC didn't "admit it was a bad idea," they acknowledged that the surveys show people would prefer something else. There's really nothing wrong with the UA artificer, it's just kind of a minimum effort adaptation. You'll notice that quite a few previous classes have been turned into subclasses in 5e as part of it's desire to be more streamlined. Making artificers a wizard subclass makes a lot of sense from that standpoint. It is mechanically quite different, since the old artificer was much much closer to a cleric than a wizard, but different doesn't mean worse.
Keith Baker, the creator of eberron, has posted a more cleric-like artificer homebrew on his blog, if you're interested.

Personally, I don't mind the mechanical change, but I do have a slight objection to the subclass on fluff grounds. Fluff-wise, artificers are technically not casters. They make and use magic items but they don't cast spells, except for infusions, which aren't really normal spells. So making them a wizard subclass doesn't really represent the fluff very well. Of course, you can easily just refluff their casting as them using a bunch of wands that they can reset and recharge daily.
>>
>>47908594

I plan on it if he doesn't start improving
>>
What's the best way to run a sort of Zombie Apocalypse game in 5e?
>>
>>47908243
That's kinda what I got so far. So I could just rephrase it like this, maybe?
>As an action, you can jump up to your maximum jumping length or height without provoking opportunity attacks. If you are wielding [certain weapons], you can make a single melee weapon attack during this jump as part of the same action.
And then the extra damage bit.
>>
>>47904829
Is it okay for dead characters to return?

My DM informed me last session that, short for a godly roll, my necromancer would most likely die a horrible death at the hands of an evil lich's sentient journal, which was in my possession.

Thing is I kinda like the character, and I would like to keep it. I realize that it's his game, but I would really appreciate someway to keep playing him. So far here are the alternatives I thought up:

>He is rezzed by whatever reason, sees the error of his ways and converts to religion, returning as a faithful Cleric.
>He refuses to die, and bargains with a demon to come back to life, becoming a Warlock instead.
>He did die but the book brought him back to life. Sometimes he is himself, sometimes the book speaks through him, and his influence seems to be growing with each day. Still the same, exact character.

Any other ideas? Would you allow this in your game?
>>
>>47908682
Yeah. That works better. I don't think there's much danger of people thinking that only this class can jump and attack.

The damage bonus would need to be pretty hefty. Maybe an extra d8 for every attack you're giving up?
>>
Quick question. what kind of duration would you put on the following ability? consecutive wisdom saves until the target succeeds or...?

Eldritch Disruption
Beginning at 10th level, you can use an action to disrupt the magical energies of a single target within 60 feet. That target must make a Wisdom saving throw against your shadowcaster spell save DC. If the target fails its saving throw, it recieves a -2 penalty to its spellcasting ability, spell DC's, and spell attacks. You gain a +2 bonus to your spellcasting ability, your spell's DC's, and spell attacks. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
>>
>>47908723
I think a Minute with concentration, and giving them a save each turn, but change it to advantage and disadvantage instead.
>>
>>47908711
1d6 at 5th level, 2d6 at 11th, and 3d6 at 17th, as I have it now. They've still got the option to full attack if they want to, this lets them sacrifice pure damage for mobility.
>>
>>47908740
How's this?

Eldritch Disruption
Beginning at 10th level, you can use an action to disrupt the magical energies of a single target within 60 feet. That target must make a Wisdom saving throw against your shadowcaster spell save DC. On a failed save, for 1 minute or until your concentration is broken (as if you were concentrating on a spell), it recieves disadvantage on its spellcasting ability checks, spell save DC's, and spell attacks for 1 minute. You gain advantage on your spellcasting ability checks, your spell save DC's, and spell attacks. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.
>>
>>47908801
Well, you can't have advantage on your spell save DCs.
>>
DMing Curse Of Strahd here. The evil Paladin in the party just challenged Izek to a duel for his position in the town's guard. The burgomeister was amused and gave permission, and Izek gladly accepted it. How fucked is he?
>>
File: 6587685675867.gif (67 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
6587685675867.gif
67 KB, 380x380
>>47906070
>picking a Land druid when Moon druid is a thing

It's like you WANT shit stats
>>
What's the best fighter? Champion, Battlemaster, or Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>47908977
Battlemaster overall and EK at higher levels imo.
>>
>>47908977
Battlemaster. Champion outdamages it slightly but Battlemaster has more utility and is more fun
>>
>>47908702
that depends on the GM and setting. In CoS, dead characters can be ressed if they accept a gift from Dark Powers. In Eberron, raising dead is hard (you may call the wrong soul, end up possesed by a ghost or demon, go crazy or summon a bunch of incorporeal undead). In FR, all you need is a high enough cleric (commonplace) and 500+ gp.

Anyway, if you're afraid of lich's journal, stab it with basilisk's tooth. Worked for Harry Potter
>>
hey guys,
anyone have a good/better idea to impliment a gladiator/hoplite class into 5e?
(better than using barb/fighter with entertainer feat)
tyvm
>>
>>47909088
Play a battle master fighter.
>>
>>47909014
Battle Master gets to choose when to apply its damage as opposed to the Champion being a random chance for higher damage. You're not wrong, but the Battle Master's tactical application of damage with rider effects can be more effective.
>>
Is this a little too much for a baddie I'm planning for my party:

I'd make him a half-orc frenzy barb with a two level dip in fighter. I'd plan to have him at some point run up to a PC and try to shove them prone and when he gets them down to attack them with advantage (total of 1 or 2 attacks because of frenzy and however many shove attempts it takes) and then have him action surge and attack the prone player three more times with advantage.

There's a 34% chance I'd crit at least once with four attacks and a 40% chance to crit with 5 attacks. With brutal critical from being a half-orc and a frezy barb I'd feel like that would completely annihilate whoever I did this to.

He's going to be one of the generals for my BBEG so I want him to be a real challenge. Thoughts?
>>
>>47908977
champion is the best
idk why the internet likes battlemaster so much
>>
>>47908924
Depends on his level and equipment and built I guess.
Izek is tough, but if my character beat him mano-a-mano then another could. And Pally's have REALLY good class features, so that gives him a leg up.
>>
>>47909214
Because champion is boring
>>
File: Hexblade.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Hexblade.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Here's a Hexblade pact I kludged together based on the 4e one, tell me what you think.
>>
File: Demigorgon_on_the_toilet.jpg (11 KB, 235x214) Image search: [Google]
Demigorgon_on_the_toilet.jpg
11 KB, 235x214
Hey guys, relatively new to D&D here, want to try my hand at DM'ing for the first time to give our usual DM a break, what are some of the easier modals to run?
>>
File: 1466553789002.jpg (2 MB, 2120x1490) Image search: [Google]
1466553789002.jpg
2 MB, 2120x1490
>>47909236
idk maybe its just my group but everyone (3 people, not all at the same time) who has played a fighter has made a champion (and i made a purple dragon knight for a one shot to go against the grain, but if it was for our main campaign i'd go champion) and its been really fun. we all talked about how battlemaster just doesn't seem cool, like, rationing a few dice per short rest so every once in a while you can do some trick.
>>
>>47909003
>>47909014
>>47909214
I picked battlemaster. It's my first character so I wasn't sure I picked right.

>>47909088
If it helps, my character is a fighter who uses shield and spear like a hoplite and he's a Battlemaster fighter.
>>
>>47909257
run the lost mine of phandelver
>>
>>47909236
When players optimize a party instead of individual characters, battle master creates a more effective, higher damage party than a champion does.
>>
>>47908865
ah right. Spell saves then?
>>
>>47909269
>>>47909214 (You)
>I picked battlemaster. It's my first character so I wasn't sure I picked right.
i didn't mean to imply you shouldn't pick battlemaster you should do whatever you want, theres no wrong way to play it, and even a hypothetical worst fighter subclass is still really strong because of how strong the fighter is.
just for me, battlemaster isn't very appealing. idk maybe i'll try it out if my rogue dies.
>>
>>47908930
Every single person who uses this reaction image is always saying something frothing-at-the-mouth retarded.

There's a different between absurdly powerful vs a caster and taking a shit option.
>>
>>47909197
What level are the players at this point?

>>47909286
Well, that depends on whether you want the ability to be purely based on offensive abilities or incorporate defensive abilities. But you could just give it +2/-2--that's fine (though usually avoided) when it's a flat number, it's just taboo when it's a temporary roll modifier.
>>
>>47909354
We just started the campaign last week but I'm trying to flesh out the bigger encounters in advance. I won't do this fight with them any sooner than level 10 so it's a little ways off.
>>
>>47909257
>>47909276
Seconded
>>
>>47909214
Four superiority dice at level 3 is better than critting on a 19, but the rest of the features are better on the champion. It's probably worth the tradeoffs by level 11, though the Battle Master will keep better damage even if it doesn't have more damage per day at some point (varies). Having the control over when to use it makes a difference.
>>
>>47909197
Give him legendary resistance, so the fight isn't won with a hold person.
>>
>>47909354
Honestly I like advantage/disadvantage a lot more for the same reasons you mentioned. The ability is meant to absorb an enemy spellcasters magical abilities and add it to their own, thus the penalty and bonus.
>>
>>47909458
Thanks anon, I was planning on doing that too
>>
>>47909288
I'll repeat it until the day I die: the way maneuvers worked in the playtest (when it was the gladiator) was better.

>>47909385
So you're planning a single turn of a single encounter thirty sessions in the future. You gotta untwist your rubber band, little man. Are you coming from Pathfinder, by any chance?
>>
>>47909572
I'm not, I was just trying to brainstorm ideas. It's a little early, I agree but the thought came to me last night and I'm sure I'd forget it if I don't pursue it now.
>>
>>47909572
Why was the gladiator system better? A cursory glance only shows me that a gladiator could use an action to recover a superiority die, effectively making superiority dice a per encounter resource.

Or are you talking about the individual maneuvers?
>>
>GMing a game last night
>Friend multiclassing from warlock into fighter
>We end up having a debate about whether he gets starting fighter skills
>He says the book is vague
>The book literally lists what proficiencies he gets when he multiclasses.
>Gets salty and redoes his character as a fighter
>Says he's going to change classes every four levels and take the skilled feat.
I love him, but he needs to learn to read some.
>>
>>47909572
?

Making resources is a good idea. You don't have to plan the plot around them, but having then available to throw in if appropriate is a good idea.

You haven't dm'd before I guess.
>>
Fuck gelatinous cubes bro. They arent funny.
>>
>>47909835
I want to fuck a gelatinous cube.
>>
>>47909276
>>47909394
Thanks!
>>
>>47909835
>running a game
>the party's sorcerer walks into a gelatinous cube and gets engulfed
>I explain how the escape action works and how party members can also use an action to liberate him from the cube
>nobody wants to "waste an action" getting him out of the cube, not even himself
>On the sorcerer's turn, he asks if he has enough air left to cast a spell. I say sure.
>He casts Shatter
>centered on himself
>It's not enough to kill the cube, but it's more than enough to knock out the sorcerer
>On the cube's next turn, the sorcerer dies

I have the stupidest players in the world
>>
>>47909662
I mean the way the maneuvers worked.

Like, spellcasting means conjuring an event into existence, yeah? So you make a saving throw to avoid the fireball exists now like you'd make a saving throw to dodge a falling rock.

A maneuver is an action. It's an active verb being done by the person with the weapon. "Roll your die; if ≥ ability modifier, the maneuver works; if not, add damage" is active; a saving throw is passive. It puts the weight on the skill of the person being attacked rather than the attacker.

As it stands, there's not much point to maneuvers being tied to maneuver dice, since the saving throw is what controls the maneuver's effectiveness. Aside from a few like Rally, the dice only influence extra damage, and since the Battlemaster is supposed to be about controlling/supportive effects at the expense of raw damage output, having them be measured by the dice feels hollow.

It's just a lot more dynamic and fighter-y than an extra number on your character sheet and it made the archetype mechanically unique.

I dunno.
>>
Do you allow people to multiclass whenever they want or do you want their to be an in game reason they multiclass? Example:
>Wizard takes one level as a fighter just so they can be Iron Man
>Wizard spends in game time training with a fighter so they can be more durable in a fight
>>
>>47909774
I have, but you know what doesn't improve a session? That thing that could happen in a different session that hasn't happened yet, but which could happen in the future unless something different happens.
>>
>>47909986
So your complaint is that you wanted to roll against a target instead of making the creature roll against your target number. Also pre-level 15, your way of doing it makes some of the maneuvers impossible against certain creatures. You'll never Trip something with 24 strength on a d6.

Mechanical uniqueness is what 3.5 and PF do, and they're bloated as shit because of it.
>>
>>47910036
No, that definitely improved a session. Just not the immediate one.

A little bit of long term preparation goes a long way for every session, including ones in future campaigns.
>>
>>47910103
>>47910036
Also your clearly don't know about refluffing. The bandit Lord you made becomes a goblin King with similar stats, etc.

Nothing about what that guy is doing is wrong.
>>
>>47907062
People who beg for handouts and are also choosy are tools.
>>
>>47910076
3e's problem was trying to take all the square pegs from 1e and 2e and clumsily fit them in the d20 round hole. Unique mechanics were what made earlier editions more functional and engaging. And roll-based maneuvers really aren't any more outside the box than warlock spellcasting or Bardic Inspiration.

Beyond that, even if a creature has 24 Strength, does it also have 24 Dexterity? 24 Constitution? 24 Wisdom? Find the one that works for the situation.

That said, scaling the dice better with level would've been a good change. I don't mean to say the archetype was mechanically perfect, just that the way maneuvers were executed was better.
>>
>>47909252
I like some of the ideas, but it seems to me easier to just fold It into the blade pact feature. I especially like the "replace 1 attack with a spell cast" bit. Hmm, maybe a hex blade invocation?

Hexblade
When you take the attack action you may replace a single attack with a spell of your choice. The spell uses a spell slot as normal and targets the target of your attack.

Or something along those lines.
>>
>>47909269
>I wasn't sure I picked right.
I hate this mentality in a cooperative rpg. Yes some combinations have better numbers than others, but the real choice should be what you have find as fun using, not just what gives you big dpr.
>>
File: shadowcaster.jpg (34 KB, 260x401) Image search: [Google]
shadowcaster.jpg
34 KB, 260x401
Okay, I've updated the Shadowcaster 5e homebrew to the warlocks progression. It feels quite a bit better. Also gave it 3 distinct archetypes. Still need to type out the spell list. Tell me what you guys think.

My biggest gripe is that lvl 18 feels like a dead level. Same problem as the warlock, only get an invocation. Kinda worried about level dips early on, but again, it would have the same problems as the warlock. Go figure.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17kLv0WSaM9Stq5jw6vFw4YvwkCWNm3d3WmeEXKTQw3s/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>47909978
It sounds like your players have fallen into the mentality that a turn spent not doing damage is a turn wasted.
Fuck with them by throwing enemies their way that cast buffs on themselves and inhibit the player's actions with grapples.
>>
>>47909572
>I'll repeat it until the day I die: the way maneuvers worked in the playtest (when it was the gladiator) was better.
yeah playtest had a lot of good ideas. sadly the complaints about the same systems were just as valid. i liked expertise die though.
but honestly... i think if your dm is cool with you coming up with actions outside of "i attack" 5e martial combat can be pretty interesting. i think the martial feats they did for ua are a step in the right direction too. other things you can do, not too far outside of the rules, but little switch ups in your playstyle turn by turn.
i think playtest casters were a lot more thematically interesting too. clerics getting some martial abilities, dragons slowly losing their humanity, warlocks just being weird. but oh well.
>>
>>47907076
>>47907069
I like it! I've been wanting a possessed pact for a while.
>>
>>47909978
I know that feel, one of my players kept trying to grapple a shambling mound, when he finally succeeded he just got his ass engulfed
>>
>>47910460
That's just like the eldritch knight feature except much better

It should be "when you cast a cantrip you can also make a single weapon attack"
Later upgraded so it can be any spell
>>
>>47910002
As far as RAW goes, you can multiclass whenever. As a DM, I tend to work the other way. If a player turns up and saws they want to multiclass, I'll roll it in with a fluff reason.

This has ranged to a character spending a few nights with someone they helped to get to 3rd level as an Eldritch Knight, to the sorcerer actively making a pact as asked about taking warlock.

Generally, unless your DM has banned multiclassing, it should be fine.
>>
I rolled pretty well, with a 17 15 15 14 12 9.

I have no idea what to play. At first I thought Bard with a longbow, taking swift quiver at 11 (1 level of fighter to start for the health, con save prof, and fighting style), but I could play fucking anything.

I need input desperately.
>>
File: 1462805733599.png (1 MB, 1297x745) Image search: [Google]
1462805733599.png
1 MB, 1297x745
>>47910002
I generally let my players do what they want but I want them to have some kind of in character reason for it. That reason can be I want to make my character Iron Man, I'm not here to stop people from having fun and doing what they want in a game ultimately about imagination and made up shit. It hasn't come up but I would try and talk to a player if they wanted to dip warlock 2 just for eldritch blast or something. Not saying they couldn't do it, but I would want them to think about the actual implications of what that would mean for their character.
>>47910873
barbarian
>>
>>47910873
Rogue
>>
>>47910752
Yes, but a warlock will have less attacks, hp, ac, and spell slots. Forcing into melee to this is also a consideration.
>>
>>47910460
The problem with that is the normal cantrips would do devastating damage when combined with extra attack. The idea I had for the hexblade cantrips was that they were marginally better than normal attacks in weird and magical ways. That way the little benefits come from synergies (opportunity attacks, haste). Also all the attacks are derived from 4e attacks. Are any of them noticably overpowered or underpowered?
>>
>>47911065
They're all kinda enh, this doesn't really seem any stronger than regular pact of the blade warlock, so very weak.
>>
>>47911065
Are the weapons themselves overpowered?
>>
>>47910853
I'm the DM and I have no issue with multiclassing, I would just like for my PCs to have an in game reason to multiclass (even if I have to work with them to make it up) instead of going full munchkin. Am I being reasonable?
>>
>>47911192
You are until you suggest that selling your soul for CHA to Eldritch Blast might be an incredibly bad deal to /tg/
>>
Would it be unfair to combine the Dancing Sword and the Sword of Sharpness into one weapon and give it to the main villain?
>>
>>47910873
You don't get save proficiency by level-dipping. It's outlined in the rules for multiclassing that you only get certain proficiencies, usually weapons or armor. There's a feat for that, though.
>>
I need a final language for my reformed criminal cleric.
>>
>>47911294
...yes, which is why he said he would start as fighter 1
>>
File: roguethief.png (573 KB, 698x536) Image search: [Google]
roguethief.png
573 KB, 698x536
>>47904829
The son of a carpenter who got involved in a gang on the docks.
>>
>>47904829
i've explained my character here before, but essentially he was an outlander who was captured by slavers, and then freed by a rogue who taught him how to be a thief/treasure hunter. so now thats what he does.
>>
>>47911226
what?
>>
>>47911356
>>L U R K
M
O
R
E

t b h
but people on the internet don't like the suggestion that taking warlock purely for eldritch blast """""shenanigans""""" is a weird in character choice
>>
>>47911356
The last time I remember the topic of "justify your multiclassing" coming up, a bunch of people got real butt hurt that a DM would ask why a sorcerer would sell his soul for agonizing blast.
>>
>>47911294
Right, you should re-read my post maybe. I was saying I'd do Fighter 1, then 19 levels of bard.

The DM also okayed some fixes I found for bladelock that gives extra attack at 5 for no invocation cost, and adds a few other invocations, one of which is adding CHA mod to attack rolls for a bonus action with a 7th level req.

Why do there have to be so many fun sounding options
>>
>>47904829
An Arabic Orc Gang Bodyguard, who learned he had the gift for the arcane. So when he was told his distant ancestor was ill, he packed his stuff and magic book, and set off to become a Magus.

Also, this is more of a fluff question, but say you have a warlock party member, warlock gain magical ability through their pacts, not through personal ability with magic, yeah? So if a warlock suddenly wanted to become a full blown wizard, it wouldn't be weird to ask him to go find a tutor or something right? (let's assume that our dm has us do "fluff sessions" for character changes like multiclassing)
>>
I've been foreshadowing the true identity of one of the enemy NPCs for a while now, but I'm still not sure that the party's picked up on it.
How do I make sure I've laid down enough breadcrumbs for them to figure it out?
Do I just have to straight up tell them?
These guys tend to miss details they don't think are important, and it's a long-running game so it's possible they could just forget.
>>
>>47911579
If they don't pick up on the breadcrumbs, they deserve the surprise!
>>
Implying multiclassing your Paladin into Undying Light Warlock is not the best thing ever.
>>
>>47911402
Oh, that's what you were getting at. I was just tripping on the wording.

>>47911401
Honestly, it is a weird character choice, but I'm certainly not going to stop anybody from doing it. If it means that they'll have to take a quest about something their warlock patron wants them to do, or they'll end up fighting them, then fuck it, I'm the DM and it beats goblins in caves any day of the week.
>>
>>47911624
>Honestly, it is a weird character choice, but I'm certainly not going to stop anybody from doing it. If it means that they'll have to take a quest about something their warlock patron wants them to do, or they'll end up fighting them, then fuck it, I'm the DM and it beats goblins in caves any day of the week.
right and thats reasonable, but in the past members of this board have taken offense at that kind of suggestion.
like you're adding things that aren't raw, and trying to steer player choices, ergo you are a butthead.
not my opinion, i agree with you. but thats what it meant
>>
>>47907820

It's nice because it means you can hit someone and run without having to flurry and without wasting Ki and a bonus action on Disengage. Plus more speed is never bad.

Even for Open Hand it means you can run into 4 people, mess them all up a little bit, and leave easy. You don't even have to hit, just try to hit and you'll be golden.
>>
>>47911622
It takes awhile for that to be a better build than straight paladin.
>>
>>47911408
oh i suggested barbarian, but bladelock is another choice that is harder to make good without awesome stats, so thats a good idea too.
>>
>>47911665
>not starting at level 20
ok
>>
>>47911711
Try level 6, when the paladin gets charisma to all saves but the paladin/warlock is only getting charisma to a couple smite spells.
>>
>>47911665
2 levels get you cantrips, range option, short rest smites and ivocations are fun
i say its worth it
>>
>>47911738
Those are nice things. I'd still aim for extra attack and the charisma-to-saves aura first.
>>
>>47911736
>but the paladin/warlock is only getting charisma to a couple smite spells.
you mean they are bonus action smite, then hitting that smite with green flame blade's attack and smiting the the paladin class feature all in one attack for M A S S I V E D A M A G E
>>
>>47910524
Bumpin for feedback
>>
File: 132376652014.jpg (81 KB, 398x326) Image search: [Google]
132376652014.jpg
81 KB, 398x326
>>47908616
I read Keith's homebrew just now, but it seems even flimsier than the UA. Might be better if it was typed all the way through and wasn't all "Cleric, but instead things do THIS."

/5eg/, what would you recommend I do to fill the gap for artificer? Is the UA good enough, should I take my own crack at making it a wizard school or cleric domain, should I try making an entire class, use the Mechanist homebrew, or should I just avoid it until a player confirms they want to play one?
>>
>>47911813
Divine Smite isn't a spell, so you don't add Charisma to it. Greenflame Blade won't be more damage to a single target than 2 attacks, especially considering 2 attacks means 2 chances to Divine Smite.
>>
Wait, so If I cast a healing spell on a creature (see: ally) that's unconscious, making death saving throws, the healing spell instantly revives them back to combat-capable?

Because, that changes everything for me, and how we've thought the whole reviving/unconscious mechanic works
>>
File: chult.png (799 KB, 799x959) Image search: [Google]
chult.png
799 KB, 799x959
>>47911352
Is this you?
>>
>>47911947
If you're unconscious because you hit 0 HP: yes. Gaining any HP brings you back.
>>
>>47911813
>>47911853
ok i was curious on the numbers. lets assume you're paladin 2 warlock 4 since that other guy said level 6
warlock 4 (+2 charisma for the ASI) paladin 2
first target
greatsword 2d6 + 3
green flame blade 1d8 + 4
2nd level searing smite 2d6 + 4, con save or 1d6 more
smite with a 2nd level slot 3d8 radiant damage
average: 47 damage
second target
1d8 + 8
average: 12.5 damage
total average: 59.5 damage

paladin 6 (+2 strength for the ASI)
2 attacks: 4d6 + 8
searing smite level 1: 1d6 con save for 1d6 more
2 smites with level 2 slots: 6d8
average: 58 average damage

so yeah paladin 6 is better i guess. or anyway the damage is a toss up. then the paladin has 4 slots left to smite with, the warlock has only 2. but if they're both out of slots its 2d6 + 3 + 1d8 + 4 (+1d8 + 8 to another target gfb) versus 4d6+8, which is 20.5 (+potentially 12.5, so 33) versus 24. so which is better it depends. i'm willing to cal damage close, so it just depends on the utility of the warlock versus the utility of the paladin.
>>
>>47911947
Yep. Makes for an interesting interaction between a Thief Rogue and the Healer feat.

>Thief rogue can use objects as a bonus action (For example a Healer's Kit).
>Healer feat causes you to give people 1 HP when you use a Healer's Kit to stabilize them
>As a result it's really hard for anyone to die near the thief since he'll just pick them up again next round.
>>
>>47911960
i posted that image last time i posted about my character yeah. but i don't really think of that pic as my character.
>>
>>47911976
Everyone shits on pact of the blade, but I think it's an awesome option for pure warlocks.
>>
>>47911976
Factoring in the secondary target damage is a bit misleading since you don't get a secondary target to hit all the time.

Also you added Charisma to Greenflame Blade too many times, assuming the Undying Light feature will work the same as the Sorcerer and Wizard features (once per spell). You wouldn't get to add Charisma to the primary target and then twice to the secondary.
>>
Does anyone know a good Investigator / Detective homebrew class i was looking to play one in the next game we go through.

Everything i find is very combat focused or magic-using, thats not what i had in mind. Feel free to share your stuff or stuff you find cool with me.

Anyway thanks and have a nice day y'all.
>>
>>47912055
Is the inquisitor rogue in UA not to your liking?
>>
>>47912068

Which unearthed arcana is it? I've yet to see it! Thanks for the quick reply
>>
>>47912090
Gothic Characters
>>
How much "worse" is Sacred Flame in comparison to attacking with your trusty mace? Especially considering level one. The damage is going to be roughly the same factoring in the damage increases at certain levels, but how is the difference of attacking with +4 or having a DC of 12?

It seems to me like hitting on an attack roll is always easier than the enemy not making the DC.
>>
>>47905814
If you don't really care about race, you could be a Water Genasi Druid
>>
File: Warcraft 5e.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft 5e.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Hey guys I slapped together a Warcraft race guide. Most of the text is from the 3.5 World of Warcraft RPG book so it's all pre-BC information, I changed to I changed the High Elf entry into Blood Elf information but they're so easily switched I don't think it's too big of a deal. Some of the Racial Traits are just lifted from the 5e book with one or two extra's thrown in, others I came up with myself that felt sort of right and the goblin traits were taken from the 5e wiki Gremlin subrace.

I still need to include Worgens and Pandaren just for completions sake. Also some racial traits need to be edited or refined and spelling mistakes need to be fixed.

I'd appreciate it if you guys could take a look and tell me what's terrible, overpowered, or underpowered.
>>
>>47912100
Thanks a bunch. It looks good as it is but i'm still open for other suggestions.
>>
>>47912023
>Also you added Charisma to Greenflame Blade too many times, assuming the Undying Light feature will work the same as the Sorcerer and Wizard features (once per spell). You wouldn't get to add Charisma to the primary target and then twice to the secondary.
ah is that true? even if they're from different sources?
you're right about the second target, i did list without a second target though.
in any event i think the damage is close enough that you shouldn't feel terrible for choosing to multi like that versus just going single classed paladin, either way. also paladins will always be good at on demand burst damage.
at higher levels of course you're looking at
2d6 + 5 (great sword + strength) + 3d8 + 5 (green flame blade + radiant soul) + 5 necrotic damage (life drinker) for our lock/paladin versus 4d6 + 10 (greatsword) + 2d8 (improved divine smite) for the paladin, which is 36.5 versus 35 damage for the paladin, just on a normal round of attacking, so the warlock has a slight edge, and s/he also does 3d8 + 5 to the secondary target, for an extra 18.5. of course theres a lot of factors in play at that point so its hard to say. paladin can burst a lot harder at higher levels too, since they can do 5d8 smite damage twice, and cast a smite, and their spell slots for smite spells are both limited to level 5. though the paladin would 5d8 smite, then 4d8 smite, and cast banishing smite if it really wanted to maximize its single target damage, which i think is more than the warlock can bust out.
so its, again, i think, a toss up. tons of factors at play, one isn't necessarily better.
>>
>>47912002
But it's not, because a pact of the tome warlock with shillelagh and greenflame blade wielding a quarterstaff will outdamage it in melee, the whole fucking purpose of being a bladelock.

And just eldritch blasting people also outdamages it.
>>
>>47912121
It depends on the target, but generally landing a saving throw spell is harder. On the other hand, you don't have 16 Str, Dex, or Wis on your cleric?
>>
>>47912205
Could go for 16STR but there's not really much point to go beyond 15 if I never really wanted to melee.
>>
>>47912186
With Greenflame Blade, assuming that the final version of the feature will work like the most recent versions of the Sorcerer and Wizard features, you either get to add Charisma once (from the feature) to the primary target of Greenflame Blade (assuming 5th level or higher character so it actually deals fire to the primary target) and Charisma to the secondary (innate to GFB), or you could just add two instances of Charisma to the secondary target (feature and innate part of GFB).

My premise was that it takes awhile for the paladin/warlock to be better, not that it *never* gets better. Paladin's best features come by level 6/7 depending on the oath.
>>
>>47912121
it just depends.
sacred flame does 1d8 damage, your attack will do 1d6+2 bludgeoning with a mace. so thats 1 more damage on average with the mace, and if you roll a 20 you can crit.
but it just depends.
high ac target with low dex? sacred flame
low ac target with high dex? mace
high ac high dex target? probably a mace is better
low ac low dex target? probably a mace is better
don't want to get in melee? sacred flame
enemy resistant to non magic attacks or bludgeoning damage? sacred flame
enemy immune to radiant damage? mace
some of these are really unlikely for a level 1 character to face of course.
>>
>>47912186
>>47912279
The exact wording after errata for Sorcerer and Wizard is something like "one damage roll of the spell." The secondary victim of GFB is considered a separate damage roll.
>>
>>47904829

Are Fighters finally good again?
>>
>>47912302
Totally forgot the lack of crits on a DC-based Spell. Damn.
>>
>>47912002
Elaborate please. If just "I think it's cool" ok, otherwise it's dpr, utility and risk are not good.
>>
>>47912318
Depends on what you want to do with one. It it's damage, yes.
>>
>>47912318
Fighter are really good in combat, but still lack the problem-solving of a caster. As long as your problem isn't solvable by reducing its HP that is.
>>
File: 1465749497960.jpg (101 KB, 736x1070) Image search: [Google]
1465749497960.jpg
101 KB, 736x1070
>>47912279
>My premise was that it takes awhile for the paladin/warlock to be better, not that it *never* gets better. Paladin's best features come by level 6/7 depending on the oath.
yeah i feel it. i wouldn't even say it ever gets better, imho. paladin gets so many other goodies and i doubt its really worth losing 2 levels of spellcasting progression to smite. but i just was curious about the numbers. if i was going to do it........ idk i'd just play a warlock until you feel too weak as a warlock and then dip fighter 2 at that point.
unless of course you want to start with heavy armor proficiency...
>>
File: 1466554224783.jpg (627 KB, 1035x1440) Image search: [Google]
1466554224783.jpg
627 KB, 1035x1440
>>47912318
i think they're good. just be sure to problem solve by taking advantage of the fact that you can kill anyone in the room when being social or whatever. like, if you're going to play a fighter, play a fighter in all aspects of the game, even if you don't fight your way through everything.
ie be a knight, be a brigand, be whatever. challenge people to duels if they offend you and kick in the door with confidence.
>>
>>47912318
While talking about if classes are good. Are monks good?
I never tried one and I ming play one.
>>
>>47912410
monks generally need help but they aren't "bad" per se. also they have a misleading power curve throughout the lifecycle of the class.
>>
>>47912318
>good again
Laughing4thEdfighters.jpeg
>>
>>47912422
>also they have a misleading power curve throughout the lifecycle of the class.
As in, good early and bad late? Or have odd spikes in power and slumps at other times?
>>
>>47912422
Monks are a team player class. Stunning Strike (and Open Hand Technique if you go that route) make an attack-roll-heavy group very effective. Just don't count on the monk to be a tank or be a primary damage dealer. It's more of a controlling/striking hybrid.
>>
File: 300px-GreenKnight.jpg (72 KB, 300x437) Image search: [Google]
300px-GreenKnight.jpg
72 KB, 300x437
My GM said it wasn't necessary, but he told me if I write a backstory for my character that it'd have a chance to be spliced into the campaign at some point. Apparently he's already done it with some of the other characters in the group. Seems like a neat idea so I thought I'd try coming up with something for my Ancients Paladin/Archfey Warlock. I've got a vague idea but it's hardly what I'd consider a backstory.

Half-Elf replaced with a Changeling as a baby, raised in a Fey court, and becomes super-devoted to them. That's about it. I might try coming up with my own "pantheon" of Archfey instead of one of the established Courts, but I dunno.

Any ideas?
>>
>>47912447
Good offense but soft early.

Good defense but not as damaging late.
>>
>>47912447
As in... Bonus action attack with mod kicks ass at low levels, but then their damage sharply falls off after a bit, and you can start with good AC but it scales slowly.
Monks are cool, they can do stuff no other class can easily replicate. Just those things aren't really good or really bad (except stunning strike, that's really good) so it's kind of up to you to make it good. Also they are very MAD.
They're just highly mobile in combat in a game in which that isn't that important in a lot of combats, and weirdly resilient to some things but not to others.
>>
>>47912498
That’s a good start I would say. But you will have to expand on it. Why did they leave? What was the consequences of this? How does the character feel about it?
Just that sort of thing. Try and fill out anything that might be important or that your DM would like to know.
>>
So, I'm trying to work on my homebrewing skills and, so far, I've got a bunch of races and some new Arcane Traditions for the wizard. I could really use some feedback on them all, but I'm particularly worried about the class efforts.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

Any comments appreciated.
>>
>>47911842
Don't worry about it unless someone wants to play one. If they do, let them choose between the UA or Baker's. If they don't like either of them, then maybe that's when you think about homebrew.
>>
>>47912581
I don’t think Lamias should have +2 charisma. +2 con would make more sense since they have scales and all that. Or meaby +2 Dex since they are part snake.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Martial-Powers-Races-Cards-73914/dp/B0195M5RVU

Is it worth it to get this set of cards? Reviews make it seem not worth it.
>>
>>47911984
This is why I make it so death save failures last until the next short rest.
>>
File: 1402799123095.jpg (39 KB, 435x326) Image search: [Google]
1402799123095.jpg
39 KB, 435x326
>>47911984
>Rogue
>Healer
>>
>>47904829
I want to fuck the Sorceress' slutty tits.
Unrelated to the rest if the conversations on here, just had to add that. Carry on.
>>
>>47912566
>very MAD
Dexterity and Wisdom. Baddabing baddaboom, you're good.
>>
>>47912912
What? Upset that people can heal their party without being a caster?
>>
So what's a good amount of CON to have? Always atleast 14? Maybe even 15?
>>
>>47912804
well the first review says shit is wrong on them so that should tell you

that, and honestly, theres not alot of racial or martial skills. sure if you're making a level 20 class you have alot of new shit to remember, but its like 10 things tops
a 1st level cleric already has 10 spells and abilities to remember

if you REALLY cant remember your shit, then maybe. but honestly it would be better to whip up a cheat sheet yourself for your own character unless your class needs a "spellbook"
>>
>>47912980
Upset that a rogue would ever stop to heal someone. You call yourself a thief?
>>
Starting a new game next week. Should I boost my players to level 3 relatively quickly? Or just let them trudge through the lower levels?
>>
>>47913019
no one said you weren't charging for it...
>>
>>47913021
you'll hit level 3 really quickly either way, so i'd start at 1 if you can stand it. that said, if they've all played before level 3 is fine.
>>
>>47913021
well "trudging through" is only one game session each, if they're really antsy just make it one game session for both, its barely twice as fast depending on how long yall play
>>
>>47913014
Yeah they looked crappy but this is my first time playing the game and everyone else at the table has the decks for bards/druids/paladins etc
>>
File: Flint Onyxarm, Combat Medic.png (2 MB, 1258x756) Image search: [Google]
Flint Onyxarm, Combat Medic.png
2 MB, 1258x756
>>47912912
It's really effective and fun. I have a thief rogue character with the healer feat myself. I have saved party members so many times with it. It's awesome.
>>
>>47913144
thats mostly for spells then, even a bard at level one has to have their player memorize 6 spells and their inspiration
druid needs spells and applicable forms they want
the paladin should be able to memorize his shit, but i guess being divine he needs to "know" every single one of his spells
>>
>>47904829
For lack of a better term, she just got sick of trying to be a normie. A couple years of stamping the faces of men she'd never know onto coins she'd never own for people she'd never like got to her. Getting dumped one too many times didn't help either.
>>
>>47913021
Getting to level 3 is so quick they should be there by the time you're finished introducing them to your game.
>>
>>47913322

Seems like it'll take at least 3 sessions. And that's with tonnes of combat which I kind of want to avoid.
>>
>>47913410
To be honest, you can easily do it in two. 3 sessions you could do it in one combat each.
>>
>>47913410
I mean, level 2 should hit before the first session is even over.

So it all depends on how you reward them for out of combat stuff.

If you're only giving them xp for killing shit, you're a godawful DM that is only encouraging murderhobo shit.

Here's my advice: halfway through the first session, give them level 2. At the end of the session, level them up to 3 (levels 1 and 2 are tutorial levels, and you'd have to be braindead not to get your class by then), so they have until the next session to think about what archetype they want. And for characters that get that stuff at level 2 or whatever, allow them to wait on choosing it if they'd prefer.
>>
>>47913522

Yeah, I'm including a bunch of non-combat xp. I think I'll go with the milestone-like thing you suggested. Cheers.
>>
File: 1444698033394.png (18 KB, 274x274) Image search: [Google]
1444698033394.png
18 KB, 274x274
>>47912939
>>
>>47912786
Well, traditionally, lamias in D&D have been given a strong focus on mind-fuckery, so that suggests a Cha bonus to me.

And yes, I'm talking the "real" half-woman half-snake lamia, not D&D's traditional spell-casting lioness-taur. It was actually inspired by a Kobold Quarterly article that did Pathfinder rules for a "proper" snakey-Lamia, called the Lamia Commoner.

Anyone else got any comments? I really want to refine my talents, and I'm particularly worried about the Wizard stuff.
>>
>>47913579
Honestly I think a milestone system is worlds better than individually tracking xp, or even tracking it as a group.

It shouldn't be treated as a reward for certain actions, it's just the characters getting better over time. You can even just straight up ask your players if they want to level up, and give it to them if it's been a while.
>>
>>47913604
I don't really get the Mystic. As a bonus action, they can get proficiency in anything. Doesn't that mean for level 1 proficiencies you should just choose shit that you can't react to all the time, like perception and acrobatics?

But then there's another discipline that, for a bonus action, you can get proficiency in any Charisma-based skill. Another discipline grants you half your INT mod (minimum 1) to Charisma-based skills, which means 1 if you went full combat Immortal and dumped INT (which you can do) or 2 if you leveled it...maybe 3 a long way down the road with a nice DM/lucky dice roll. It seems to overlap a bit. I bet Warlocks wish their Invocations were this crazy.

I also don't really like that they copied Clerics' level 8 features. It makes me more interested in the two archetypes they haven't released, since those should be something new. Maybe.
>>
>>47912318
Fighters are on-par with other classes in combat and inferior to them outside of it, at least mechanically. Player cleverness always plays a part in out-of-combat ability.
If you pick a paladin or ranger you'll pretty much be strictly better than if you picked fighter, in and out of combat.
>>
>>47913745
I think the Celerity Mystic is the way I'm gonna go, and then multiclass into Fighter for 2 or 3 levels

Pretty much after getting to like 5 or 6 on Mystic, I would extensively use "Surge of Action" and "Action Surge" from fighter. The dream is to have like 4 or 5 turns in a turn, so moving really FAST. The hard part is figuring out how to make MUDAMUDAMUDA do a lot of damage, unarmed strike kind of blows unless you multi into monk.
>>
>>47904829

My idea was for a Paladin who started life as a noble well intentioned delinquent who got sent to "boot camp", and came back as a oath of the ancients paladin.
>>
File: 1465572869972.gif (11 KB, 240x96) Image search: [Google]
1465572869972.gif
11 KB, 240x96
pst
hey you
P R E S T I G E
C L A S S E S
>>
>>47915537
Please. There are many character ideas that are better represented through prestige classes rather than subclasses especially ones that would apply to multiple classes.
>>
>>47915584
name 50 character ideas of that then.
>>
>>47915537
>3.5 garbage

No thanks
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.