[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you guys consider a 'good' or at least a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7
File: Tales_of_heresy_clean.jpg (92 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Tales_of_heresy_clean.jpg
92 KB, 640x480
What would you guys consider a 'good' or at least a serviceable 'End Times' scenario for Warhammer 40 000? And while I'm at it, if such a scenario was to be used by a Game Master in a 40k RPG game would it be 'too much'? I've been toying with a 14th Black Crusade (one that actually doesn't suck and keep the status quo) as the setting for one or more 40k one-shots, possibly more high-power games.

Pic only vaguely related but I imagine Angron would lead the charge on something.
>>
>>47899462
The Shape of the Nightmare to come and the Age of Dusk.

50k, then 60k.

It's on 1d4chan.
>>
>>47899462
>>/qst/
>>
>>47899462
Anyone else hate how canonically everyone but the Tyranids are fucked? It's annoying how fucking OP they are. I know it's supposed to be depressing but it's like a twelve year old made it up.
>there are these crazy strong, warp-immune monsters that eat everything and have hundreds of galaxies already and are coming from every way into the Milky Way!!!!
>>
>>47899531
So wait, talking tabletop setting and RPG games is 'quest' now? I mean fuck I hate quests but this come off as more than a little retarded.
>>
>>47899501
50k maybe

60k is god no
>>
>>47899546
but what if the Tyranids aren't coming into the milky way after devouring several other galaxies, but instead coming here fleeing something greater than them?
:O
>>
>>47899547
You're talking about a story scenario that you're constructing as a group. That belongs on either /qst/ or /lit/, depending on your perspective.
>>
File: Bel.png (4 MB, 1149x1494) Image search: [Google]
Bel.png
4 MB, 1149x1494
>>47899462
>14th Black Crusade

From the get go you fuck up. The 13th Black Crusade is the final one. It's the start of the End Times. The Age of Imperium is coming to an end and the Age of Chaos is about to start. Be'lakor the Dark Master aka the First Prince aka Fortoken aka HERALD OF THE END TIMES (like he did in fantasy) proclaimed that the galaxy will die and it will be the hand of the Chaos Ascendant.

You disgust me, anon. Anyways, "End Times" isn't suppose to keep the status quo it's suppose to destroy it and its setting. That's why it's called the END TIMES.

Picture related. This is Be'lakor. Look at him. Worship his dark majesty. Know that he authored the destruction of the World that was. Know that he is doing the same in 40K, authoring the destruction of the galaxy. He is the one who decided long ago that Abaddon will be the one who will finish this galaxy and carved it into the threads of fate in such a manner that it cannot be undone. So quit everything you are doing. Writing an End Times scenario where Chaos doesn't destroy everything and everyone is unrealistic goven all that we know.
>>
I think they should just push past the fucking 999 mark. Chaos has its slowly decaying empire like they wanted, why give it up.
The Imperium is also far from collapsing, sure, beset on all sides and all that but the coreworlds remain barely touched and its fleets are still powerful enough to deal with every threat that currently exists.
Oh yeah and Abaddons retarded crimson path is going to take another 20.000 years to reach Terra even after he manages to take Cadia.
>>
>>47899613
>You're talking about a story scenario that you're constructing as a group. That belongs on either /qst/ or /lit/, depending on your perspective.
>He doesn't understand tabletop RPG
>>
>>47899462
The 13th Black Crusade is the final one to make the push for Terra.

The fluff is that Abadabadoobadon needed to gather relics with smaller crusades before he was prepared to fight Big E.

Basically a 12 step program.
>>
>>47899585
>:O

Quit it.
>>
>>47899642
>You disgust me, anon. Anyways, "End Times" isn't suppose to keep the status quo it's suppose to destroy it and its setting.
That's why I said one that 'doesn't suck and keep the status quo'. Okay maybe I worded it wrong, this isn't my first language after all.

And man, so much knee-jerking in this thread. I guess people are still buttmad about Age of Sigmar.
>>
>>47899531
Lurk more, newfag.
>>
>>47899661
>:((
>>
>>47899647
>I haven't read the lore like at all

Re-read the fluff, fucktard.

1/4 of the Imperium went dark as the Golden Light of Terra is receding. Leviathan is in Segemtum Solar making its way to the Sol System and there Necron uprising within the Segementum. That's just a bit of all that's happening.

Lets stop for a moment and examine what's wrong with you? Are you illiterate. How did you miss all the stuff written in the BRB?
>>
>>47899648
Sorry, but we've set a precedent. Story games belong on /qst/. Anyone who thinks otherwise is officially the cancer killing /tg/.
>>
>>47899613
>discussing 40k lore
>constructing background in an established /tg/ lorebase in order to run games
>not actually running a quest
Jesus Christ. Seriously, lurk more.

As for thread topic, what kind of oneshots were you thinking of running? PCs lead the charge?
>>
>>47899675
Don't take my tone as being hostile. I am just playing at being melodramatic.
>>
>>47899726
This isn't a story game, it's discussion on lore in preparation of running a game, an actual ttrpg. What the actual fuck. Is /qst/ going to be the next ">back to plebbit"? Over sensitive elitists with knee jerk "REEE" reactions are the true /tg/ cancer. Go accuse a character art thread of belonging on /d/, would you?
>>
>>47899803
Your conversation about "plebbit" is off topic and random. You should probably >>>/b/.
>>
>>47899753
Well yes, mostly it was just an excuse to have big crazy things happen over the course of a few one shot or a short campaign, showing everything going to hell and the Imperium's best diving into the action in the faint hope of stemming the tide. Oh and having the players feel like something hapenned and it wasn't just something swept under the rug due to the status quo.

Sure it won't move canon and it would be with just one group but you take what you can get.
>>
File: The Art of bait.jpg (219 KB, 837x768) Image search: [Google]
The Art of bait.jpg
219 KB, 837x768
>>47899828
>>
>>47899531
>>47899613
>>47899726
Ignore this guy. He's a butthurt questfag who's pissed that his Waifufap stories (some of which is behind a patreon paywall) have their own containment board.
>>
>>47899462
Whoever wins in Octarius will be the cause the end times.
>>
>>47899904
That that conversation to >>>/d/, buster. We don't want to hear about your masturbation habits.
>>
>>47899561
60k is actually breddy gud, it's just so far into the future as to be nigh irrational

Ah well, I still follow it because it endeavors to fill the empty void in my soul left by GW's refusal to advance the storyline
>>
>>47899546
Don't worry, the Tyranids have a hard counter, the Necrons.
>>
>>47899828
I had a genuine kek.

>>47899840
Can I point out that there's no reason the players can't be mega important? Why not have them be a hybridized platoon of different chapters as part of an experimental new tactic, one of many the Imperium is trying in a desperate bid to stop their slow decay? At first it's oneshots, but eventually the players level up and start to do regular campaigns. Eventually you transition them into high ranking positions, where they each have command of a group and are put on a planet with a big objective, like raking a city. Let them strategize together and specialize. Eventually they get higher and higher ranked until eventually they're all generals and admirals and shit and they're leading one of the many fronts of the war.

I don't know how much you wanted to GM, but your post made me think you didn't see any way to do an impactful campaign. I as a player would cream my pants if I got to work my way up from grunt to general.
>>
>>47899462
>Abaddon and the daemon primarchs manage to conquer cadia and are moving towards Earth
>Cypher manages to kill Emps, but it's revealed that the emperor has been talking to him the entire time and the star child theory is true
>astronomican goes out and the daemon portal on Terra since the heresy is opened
>emperor more powerful than ever, manages to restart the astronomican as well as close the portal, but abbadon is still coming for Terra
>somehow eldar are involved

All I've got
>>
File: Squat.jpg (64 KB, 738x936) Image search: [Google]
Squat.jpg
64 KB, 738x936
>>47899462
Squats, Rak'Gol & Hrud destroy Games Workshop. That is the most suitable End Times.
>>
>>47899546
no they're fucked too running from one of the lost legions or both
>>
File: The_eye_of_Terror_2.jpg (316 KB, 1073x1226) Image search: [Google]
The_eye_of_Terror_2.jpg
316 KB, 1073x1226
>a 'good' or at least a serviceable 'End Times' scenario for Warhammer 40 000?
literally already happened

Cool shit happened. Stuff got trashed. Imperial Navy kept things from going completely tits up. Every race, every playerbase got to act like badasses and carve out their own little piece of the setting.

Anything they do to replace it will be worse.
>>
>>47899977
Still, there aren't enough Necrons to stop the trillions (most likely even more) of Tyranids. It's ridiculous.
>>47900471
Source? Even then I find it hard to believe two once thought eradicated legions are a threat to such a ridiculous amount of Tyranids.
>>
>>47900557
>Still, there aren't enough Necrons to stop the trillions (most likely even more) of Tyranids. It's ridiculous.

Yes, there are. Necrons are as numerous as humanity. Furthermore, the Necrons have access to celestial superweapons and kickass fleet. I mean the Necrons control the shape of the galaxy and can change it to suit theur desires.

Tyranids don't have anything to compete with that.
>>
>>47900633
Plus they have that one device that can blow up any star system they want for funsies.
>>
>>47899977
Yeah totally, not like the silent king has been working the Imperium in subtle ways because he realizes the wacky lords of his lost empire are never going to get past the "muh galactic kingdom, pulsies get out reeeeeeee" stage to actual stand against the Tyranids as a unified front.
>>
>>47899934
Orks won octarius
>>
>>47900557
it was a short fan story about what one of the missing legions was up too long story short
>emps learns about the tyranids
>sends an expedition the primarch his legion and a whole mess of guardsman ships admech and settlers to fight them on their home turf
>because no Horus heresy they're still advancing and improving from adapting to the tyrannid menace
>story ends with the primarch going after the tyrannids running away to the milky way calling them a minor threat and joyfully awaiting his return to the glorious imperium which must be a thousand times better after 10,000 years with hope and optimism.
>>
>>47900811
>in subtle ways because he realizes the wacky lords of his lost empire are never going to get past the "muh galactic kingdom, pulsies get out reeeeeeee" stage to actual stand against the Tyranids as a unified front.

That's wrong and goes against the Newcron lore. Try again, numbnuts.
>>
>>47900494
When did it happen
>>
>>47899613
Holy fuck, you are either a shitty troll or a newfag. Lurk moar if you are a newfag.

Talking about scenarios in a TTRPG is not a quest. A quest would be trying to run an adventure story here on /tg/ or on /qst/, where everyone is participating in a story.
>>
>>47900633
>>47900790
Well okay then. Guess we'll have to make friends with the emotionless killing machines.
>>
>>47899462
>(one that actually doesn't suck and keep the status quo)
13th Black Crusade a.chieved a lot, the timeline was shifted back to before it
>>
>>47901054
2003, I think?

it was good. Ork players took a forge planet and named it moredakka. Eldar carved out parts of the eye of terror. Chaos burned cadia. Then the Imperium blew up all their spaceships and then started nuking them from orbit.
>>
File: 1466390486932.jpg (177 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1466390486932.jpg
177 KB, 800x800
>>47899501
>Abaddon and his 78th Black Crusade plunged into the Sol system.
>>
>>47900494
Nonsense! We can totally take the story further without ruining the setting. For the sake of hypotheticals, lets imagine age of sigmar for 40k:

Abbadon's 13th crusade succeeds, and Chaos breaks out of the eye of terror. The hordes tear their way through the Imperium all the way to Terra, Abbadon takes the throne, kills the Emperor, and takes over the imperium...for all of three seconds.

The Chaos warbands fall upon each other like they usually do in the eye of terror. Korne gets neverending rivers of blood as chaos warbands rip each other to shreds over conquered worlds. Tzeench gets the same satisfaction from the warlords' schemes. Nurgle gets supercharged from the (further) spread of plagues and filth in hive worlds. Slaanesh gets supercharged by the hedonism displayed by its followers who set up shop on old paradise worlds while gorging itself on Eldar souls collected from craftworlds that were hiding in conquered imperial space.

But since the Segmentum Ultimus is on the oppisite side of the Galaxy, we still have an imperial remnant. We still have some Cadians and other regiments who were fighting elsewhere when the crusade began, and we have all the space marine chapters as they were forced to evacuate from the overwhelming chaos tide.

Oh, and instead of Sigmar, the Emperor/Star Child is reincarnated and is now leading the imperials back to glory. Also, humans must now use Tau "just the tip" warp travel sense they have no Astronomicon.

Kinda works better than the actual AoS fluff, in my opinion. But it would need to go through some drafts to get the lore nice and streight and sensible. This is all junk I thought up in 30 minutes. But it would still make for a cool way to reintroduce Chaos as an actual threat.
>>
We know that at one point the Eldar are rejoined by their gods and unite under one banner, fighting chaos daemons alongside the imperium and probably the tau. Yriel is supposed to be a major player in all of this. It was all in a vision.
We also know that at some point the gates of khaine will break open and the dark eldar will be forced out of commoragh.
>>
>>47903687
>For the sake of hypotheticals, lets imagine age of sigmar for 40k:
that is the opposite of good, and the opposite of what the eye of terror did

fundamentally changing the setting and the factions within it is not what the players and fans fucking want, and why age of sigmar's fluff has been met with such vitriol

letting the players change the game through their own actions, instead of telling them how you changed the game for them is what they want
>>
File: 1456434745569.gif (429 KB, 260x173) Image search: [Google]
1456434745569.gif
429 KB, 260x173
>>47899462
YOU DON'T ADVANCE THE PLOT OF A SETTING
>>
>>47899462
>What would you guys consider a 'good' or at least a serviceable 'End Times' scenario for Warhammer 40 000?

1: Make things actually change, don't just pretend to change them. Example: don't kill off the Emperor just to have a primarch return and take his place on the throne and behaves the same and nobody even notices the interruption of service. I fully believe GW is incapable of this because they do it every fucking time.

2: Don't eliminate any factions. Sisters continuing to be ignored is one thing, but don't shut anything down.

3: Give every faction something new and cool. Let Chaos establish a physical Empire. Let the Tyranids... do something other than slowly eat their way towards a Sol they'll never be allowed to reach. Consume a segmentum, or something. Let the Tau conglomerate expand and become a player on the galactic stage. So on and so forth.

4: Change things for every faction in a major way. Tau get to be a galactic power, make them work through the ramifications (maybe their own species isn't the plurality anymore). The Imperium is shattered to either a bitter, highly militarized chunk of the galaxy, or split amongst multiple competing leaders, or something.
>>
>>47899501
Fuck, I love this shit, too bad we'll have to wait for next update another month(s).

>that battle for Titan between Custodes, GK & remains of Inquisition, IG + other imperial forces and daemons from Earth including the one that use corpse of the emperor as his earring.

Literally perfect.
>>
>>47899803
It's a butthurt questfag lashing out, pay it no mind.
>>
>>47906413
>The Grey Knights, their blades blazing with white angel-light, waded amongst the daemons, hacking down the corrupt horrors with every swing of their blessed glaives. The Golden Custodian joined in battle with their silver counterparts. The custodians fought with the fury of madmen, tears streaming in their eyes, as they screamed in grief-turned-to-hatred. The chief custodian himself, engaged in battle with Valchocht itself. The titanic daemon was as large as a titan, formed from the fused hulks of a hundred dreadnoughts, a thousand tanks, and many thousands of cadavers, all animated by the beast's dreadful will. In place of its face, a terrible blasphemy was perpetrated. The husk of the emperor, the dried out, dead husk, was fused with the daemon King. Of course, nothing of the Emperor resided within the corpse now, but the heresy was beyond comprehension.

Also he made Rawbooty, Kaldor Draigo & Cato Sicarius actually interesting characters (in case of Rawbooty it's more of an awesome way to go out)
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.