[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hanweir status: REKT Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8
File: hanweir.png (284 KB, 639x541) Image search: [Google]
hanweir.png
284 KB, 639x541
Hanweir status: REKT

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NGO14oKtXk

New Spoilers Thread I guess
>>
>no CMC
Transform?
>>
>>47899293

Yup. Apparently Wizards only gave this guy the backside for some reason. Transform land I'm guessing?
>>
>>47899293
the symbol in the upper left looks different from transform.
Might be a variant DFC mechanic. Not sure how that would work though.
>>
>>47899237
>Eldrazi Horror
OHHH SHIT NIGGA FUCKING CALLED IT
>>
>>47899237
>13 potential damage on a land
Damn that is strong. If it's on a land I imagine it must be slightly harder to flip than Westvale Abbey
>>
They're doing some really kick-ass work with the art, atmosphere and lore, it really feels like Lovecraft. Don't know how can people can hate it.
>>
>>47899417
if the superfriends (including edgy supernotsofriend liliana) weren't there I'd probably like it quite a bit
>>
>>47899324
I'm guessing it's still Transform, but instead of Day/Night, it's Untainted/Tainted.
>>
>>47899237
Isn't that too strong for a Land?
>>
>>47899499
depends on transform conditions
>>
>>47899417
>Don't know how can people can hate it.
Despite the good art, atmosphere, and lore, the writing is ass.

Also, people were hoping for Phyrexia, Nicky B, Marit Lage, etc.
We were still expecting Emmy, but they gave us false hope.
>>
>>47899499
I think you could make the argument that Westvale Abbey is stronger when flipped. Swings for a potential 18-point difference and has better evasion and protection, plus token generation.
>>
File: file.png (203 KB, 540x390) Image search: [Google]
file.png
203 KB, 540x390
>>47899516
Emrakul is that special kind of twist.
The one everyone thinks is too obvious to ever happen.
>>
>>47899627
I'll just be glad when the jacetice league kills it too so we can be done with this fucking bullshit forever
>>
>>47899645
>I don't want amazing sets

Autism?
>>
yup, I'm officially tired of eldrazi.
>>
>>47899657
Eldrazi haven't had anything to do with amazing sets, m8, don't see the connection
>>
>>47899657
>BFZ was amazing
mark, please
>>
>>47899670
>>47899674
>t. people excited for the next POO IN THE LOO block

Like your opinion matters at all.
>>
>>47899476
could be. I don't remember if those symbols have any actual rules content. I don't think they do.
>>
>>47899699
>using /v/ memes

Where's your dank, rare Pepe?
>>
>>47899699
Anything is better than
>muh cosmic horror
>muh tentacles
>muh "multiversal" threat
>>
>>47899720
Don't have it at the moment, Sahil.
>>
>>47899499
Card number is too high to be a land. It is likely that the front side is green, or maybe even red given that colorless Eldrazi will be pushing everything down. Mechanically it also fits for red.
>>
>>47899516
>they gave us false hope
Really? after they introduced Nahiri?
They did everything but flat out say 'it's Emrakul" as soon as she showed up in the story.
>>
>>47899733
Cool, it means it can be a commander.
>>
>>47899733
>Grave Titan is red
>>
>>47899745
Don't reply to retards, pls.
>>
>>47899751
if the front side is a creature. It could be an enchantment.
>>
>>47899751
Not necessarily, Westvale Abbey is non-legendary
>>
>>47899417
As someone who's read a lot of Lovecraft, this is far and away from his type of cosmic horror. Unless to you all of Lovecraft is ia ia cthulu fhtagn, then maybe.
>>
File: Blooper.png (38 KB, 200x257) Image search: [Google]
Blooper.png
38 KB, 200x257
That fucking set symbol
>>
>>47899800
>"The pop culture perception of something is more important than what that thing actually is"
>>
File: GIant_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg (517 KB, 1080x1350) Image search: [Google]
GIant_Flying_Spaghetti_Monster.jpg
517 KB, 1080x1350
> End of Eldtrich Moon Storyline
> All the Oath Walkers are sitting defeated like the ripped Avengers they are
>Liliana losing gorund to Emrakul by the second
GoodByyyyyyyeMoonPlane.xml
>Suddenly, out of the Ulvenwald
>Giant fucking tongue shoots out at Emrakul
>Grabs Emrakul, pulls all of Emrakul into the plane
>Suddenly Emrakul dissapears into the Ulvenwald
>mfw fully mutated Gitrog monster has reach, protection from colorless
>>
>>47899627
I think it was more "I really hope Wizards isn't this fucking stupid and/or lazy to shoehorn fucking Emrakul and more eldrazi in."
>>
What about this?

http://hanweirchronicle.com/post/146263802176

Is it related?
>>
>>47899699
>implying I'm excited for any set these days
saying they've wasted the potential of SoI doesn't mean I give a fuck about We Wuz Tech Support
>>
Also, 13 power on a Rare land doesn't seem like a thing WoTC would do
>>
OMG. What if playing emrakul flips these guys?

That would rehype me for emmy.
>>
>>47899823
See I was half expecting Bang, Zoom! Straight to the Moon.
>>
>>47899854
It's more like they learned to not listen to vocal minorities, which is good for a company.
>>
>>47899879
This isn't Hearthstone. Fuck off with your required legendaries.
>>
>>47899860
>It's more like they learned to not listen to vocal minorities, which is good for a company.
>[Deleted]
C'mon son.
>>
>>47899860
>>47899893
if they're not listening to minorities, why do they keep putting them in the spotlight?

checkmate
>>
>>47899919

Hello?

>>47899893
>>
>>47899627
Almost no one at my LGS saw it coming. Here's the thing: Most MtG players don't care about anything story-related. So for most of the players Emrakul really came as a twist.
>>
>>47899926
When did they do that?
>>
>>47899893
What's good for the company's bottom line isn't necessarily good for the game and definitely doesn't automatically make it a good story.

>>47899929
>deleting the post so they can change who they replied to.
>>
>>47899931
If they don't care about anything story-related then 1) how did they find out about this story point and 2) why is it important that they should be surprised be story twists?
>>
>>47899800
Unfortunately for 99% of the audience Lovecraftian horror IS tentacles and maybe evil cults.

I, for one, hope for an actual Lovecraftian plane, maybe even one dipping into the Dream Lands.
>>
>>47899962
1) I told them and some saw the spoilers.
2) People on the internet seem to complain mostly about everything being "too obvious".
>>
>>47899837
well, then you made several mistakes.

First, understandably, you didn't know how the production and development cycle works for this. The emrakul arc was concieved as part of the overall eldrazi arc with BFZ. The shift to two block sets mixed this around, but dealing with the consequences of the third eldrazi, establishing them as threats to other planes, introducing Nahiri, and bring about the consequences of Saron's actions were always supposed to be the conclusion of this arc.

Now this clearly means that it wasn't 'shoehorning', because the creative development worked the opposite direction from what that implies. It started with finishing the Eldrazi arc and dealing with the Nahiri/Soren conflict, which developed naturally to a threat to Innistrad. From there the development of the Lovecraftian imagery, corruption, etc came about.

Second. What you should have been aware of is that this was in development well before the public reaction to Eldrazi was known. Certainly before they knew that people would become so upset with them do to their domiance of modern an standard (which is clearly part of the reason for the dislike. The public's attitude towards the Eldrazi after RoE was largely positive).
>>
>>47899837
Emrakul is hardly shoehorned here, Nahiri and Sorin actually have history with her and are ex-old walkers, Emmy randomly showing up on any other plane would be more of a shoehorn.
>>
File: 1334262994001.jpg (615 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1334262994001.jpg
615 KB, 1920x1200
>>47899237
HEH
>>
>>47899963
the corruption, cults, isolation, paranoia, madness, the draw of the 'outside' are all lovecraftian themes.

The tentacles they have in this set is the general populous understanding of Lovecraft, though they likely don't know the name. Shadows on the other hand had some real Lovecraftian atmosphere.
>>
>>47899237
I like this set a little bit more now.
>>
>>47899879
You say rehype, I say completely unplayable mechanics, especially in any format that includes card games.
>>
File: angry moth noises.gif (529 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
angry moth noises.gif
529 KB, 480x360
I know some stores already got their product

WHERE ARE THE LEAKS
>>
>>47899309
If anything I'd expect them to reveal the front side best to be honest. Can't think of any reason why they'd only show the back.
>>
>>47900192
>Can't think of any reason why they'd only show the back.

Because the back side would be stupendously obvious from seeing the front side, but the reverse--as proven by the speculation in this very thread--isn't so.
>>
>>47900018
Shoehorn was the wrong word to use because, you're right, all the major players in the block do have a history with the Eldrazi.

My comment was rather specifically about the twist being 'too obvious to ever happen.' The potential inclusion of Emrakul was so obvious and implied to the point that, even before the SoI prerelease 'clues' all but confirmed its inclusion, it wasn't even worthy of being called a twist. The refusal to believe, or hope, that Emrakul would turn out to be the big horror showing up became more hoping against the inevitable than not expecting a twist.

>>47900005
I know how blocks were, and are, being developed. I just don't think that being unable to stop the system in motion is a valid excuse, particularly when all previous post-Dominaria multi-block arcs (Save Llorwyn, but that was a single large block) have had sizeable gaps in between the first and second blocks of their story arc that avoided the overload and public distate that BfZ has engendered.
>>
>>47900314
This twist wasn't aimed at the vorthos but at the more casual people
>>
>>47900410
This is what's wrong with the game
>>
>>47900314
>overload and public dislike that BfZ engendered.
By the time they could possibly have realized this, Shadows a was almost ready for the printer.
How the fuck do you think they could have changed it in time for this.

Deciding to have more continuity between the story of blocks was a more recent developments, but with shortened blocks this level of connection makes more sense. I honestly don't get why you thought it was more likely they would not resolve the obvious dangling thread from the past arc. Or why you'd even prefer that.
>>
File: Hanweir blob.jpg (576 KB, 1080x1350) Image search: [Google]
Hanweir blob.jpg
576 KB, 1080x1350
Holy shit, the full art looks fucking rad
>>
>>47900242
>Because the back side would be stupendously obvious from seeing the front side

Are you sure?, I think you only say that because you already know, so you cannot imagine how it'd be not knowing.

As you said, it may be a red/green enchantment representing some weird magical effect Hanweir's inhabitants are being affected by. Maybe its an artifact depicting the town hall perhaps. Or it could even be an instant or sorcery, we had one of those in SoI.

Are you sure you'd be able to say you would have been able to say you could have guessed the backside from the frontside whatever it ends up being?
>>
>>47900410
>>47900314
>>47900474
it wasn't even a twist. At least from the outside.

It was just dramatic irony (using the actual definition), where we knew something that the characters did not. So the tension was watching them trying to figure out something we already knew.
Wasn't handled that great, but I though not flat out saying 'emrakul' was just trying not to be too blunt about it. Trying to act like it was a surprise after even half the stories were published was probably a mistake. An inevitable conclusion for the readers would have been the better way.
>>
>>47900497
I love the kid just standing there powerlessly.

On another news Elesh Norn would have a ladyboner looking at all this melding flesh.
>>
>>47900497
Wizards has a real way of making every art piece done for the game look like shit on the card
>>
>>47900518
depends on what the front side is. I can think of at least 3 quite different variants where 'the backsides a creature made by the corrupted town' would be stupidly obvious.
>>
>>47900497
>We Akira now
>>
>>47900497
>You were a town once. A town!
>>
>>47900588
Which are they?

Compare your guesses now to what we get for the front. That's probably how accurate you'd be if it had been the other way around.
>>
File: 1336072118002.jpg (1 MB, 1600x966) Image search: [Google]
1336072118002.jpg
1 MB, 1600x966
>>47900497
>>
>>47900583
>Wizards has a real way of making every art piece done for the game look like shit on a 2x1 inch space
really? no shit.
>>
>>47899715
they don't. see: the flipwalkers.
>>
>>47900714
SOI has some really fucking nice art
I'd really like a Pale Rider of Trostad or some of this new Eldrazi art for a playmat
>>
>>47900648
Well, for one, I'd know it turned into a creature on the other side, while now I don't. This is because things that transform into creatures have the other sides p/t printed on the front.

Second, I'd have the transform clause, which you give me a good hint as to what the other side was like.

Third I'd know it's color, which I don't know now other than that it's not colorless (collectors number). Though I'll admit here I woundn't assume the flip was colorless unless I'd gotten some other confirmation of colorless eldrazi existing in multiple numbers.

So that's two extra bits of information I'd have which is enough that I'd absolutely be more accurate the other way around.

The options are an enchantment with text something basically do nothing text, that helped set it up to tranform into the beatstick it becomes.
Corrupted Townsfolk, cheeper defensive creature.
Eldrazi Planter, larger creature, likely black.
>>
>>47900495
>Deciding to have more continuity between the story of blocks was a more recent developments,
Tempest through Invasion all had continuity and though not directly involved with the events during the weatherlight saga Odyssey and Invasion both took place on Dominaria.

The big difference is that all four blocks of the weatherlight saga didn't deal with the Phyrexian invasion despite it being related to Phyrexia and concluding, until Scars of Mirrodin, the Phyrexian arc.

>How the fuck do you think they could have changed it in time for this.
The same way they did in the past by having buffers in-between the connected blocks.

In the past, even when there was direct continuity there were effective buffers between directly connected sets. Even back in the 90's you had a Weatherlight block followed by Urza cocking about then another Weatherlight block and finally the Phyrexian invasion. They were all connected and followed, effectively, the same cast of characters through to their conclusion but each block had a self-contained story that, if it turned into homelands 2.0 could have been safely ignored in the following block (I.E. if the Volrath horseshit didn't go over too well it really wouldn't have impacted the Urza blocks too much).

The sole past exceptions to this was Odyssey/Onslaught, I'm ignoring Llorwyn as that was advertised as a single large block. Odyssey/Onslaught followed half a decade of fairly well received sets and blocks using a proven development system. If Wizards wanted to do that again then they should seriously have waited to see if the two set block system would work out and especially not start it by throwing a three set block into the grinder as their two-set testbed.
>>
>>47900866
>Tempest through Invasion
Mirage through Invasion. I always fucking forget Mirage.
>>
>>47900893
>>47900866

Phyrexians were even around in basically every set since antiquities, even before they started having a plot
>>
>>47900866
However good they do it, whiny faggots will still whine. That's the difference of old time mtg and current mtg.
>>
>>47900866
>The same way they did in the past by having buffers in-between the connected blocks.
that involves know the damn future so to plan for a different block schedule.

I get your point about buffer blocks being a good idea, but this is not an argument that they should have been able to change their plans after seeing the result from BFZ.

And second, given how far ahead creative works, it was going to be a three set block being split up into two two block sets. It would have been earily enough that the block would have been in rough form, likely without clear divides where it splits up into three different sets, but ignored.

>half a decade of well received sets.
>Masques block was 2 years before this.
it's hard to agree with you when you say something so aggressively wrong.
>>
>>47900566
>kid
Kids.
He's got his sister(?) on his back.
>>
>It's an ooze
>Oozes are mostly green with some red
>Number could be red
Boy I hope the front side of this is ok. I don't think there's a single word on that card I don't like.

It having haste makes me think it's supposed to flip fast, too.
>>
>>47900192

The front side probably has super restrictive condition for the flip that would kill hype for the card if it was reveal.
>>
>>47901493
It has haste so I don't think so.

Unless they purposefully gave it haste to try and keep the hype up until the front side was revealed
>>
>>47899237
A qt oozeling makes little friends
I want 5
>>
>>47899237
I bet its a wall that can transform under some condition
>>
>>47900497
>"don't worry mom, we won't get lost. It's not like our house can get up and walk away!"
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.