[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MtG RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1024x683
So, I designed a Magic: the Gathering roleplaying game for my group.

What does /tg/ think of my setup for character creation and what suggestions do any of you have?

Character Creation:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KVQu72fwEF7lJBydCRYSvFlu9cOqLXrUbN9lC2yVDY

Character Sheet:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10tf0vfScYah5ls_38eV5OQpJ3Bvvz8Pdzi0Oup6whpM
>>
>>47898609
It's been done a thousand times before, and not one has been decent. Don't try and make a completely new system, use one that already exists.

Mutants and Masterminds is great for it.
>>
>>47898686
Did you read my setup or are you just saying it in general?

Because if you haven't read it, I would like some input on it. I don't mind if someone thinks it's trash or not, but I would like to know what aspects of it that people don't like.

Also, I didn't want to make it overly complicated.
>>
File: MOON KNIGHT II.jpg (749 KB, 1984x1472) Image search: [Google]
MOON KNIGHT II.jpg
749 KB, 1984x1472
Bumping and reading in the spirit of not being a humbug.
>>
>>47899259
Why thank you, anon.
>>
>>47899347
Do you cast actual Mtg spells?
>>
>>47899460
Nvm see the skills thingy. Some explanation on the magic system in general would be good.Seems really really loose good start but all this explains is where all of this goes but not what any of it does.
>>
File: download.jpg (128 KB, 638x500) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
128 KB, 638x500
>>47898609
>>
Huh. Looks neat but kind of bare bones. What are the rules for casting, melee combat, summoning, etc. Is there an action economy? Mana pool?

Reminds me vaguely of the old /4th/ project:
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG
>>
>>47899460
>>47899824
Yes, it utilizes actual mtg spells. I forgot to add that a spell can only be used once a round.

All skills give +1 to rolls per rank you have.
>>
>>47899853
Official D&D 5e Zendikar Supplement
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%2520Shift%2520Zendikar.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj8zcGYuLrNAhUKlR4KHbbKBEMQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNFOPA67OlKl3aNF5wzUfe0PAVU9ng&sig2=znAmgH6UFiBddUfQl7fV3g
>>
>>47899915
Cool beans well I think it's a great start.
>>47899890
This also may help in the endeavor since it's in the same vain. Be glad to see any progress ya make broseph! Started a red mage for shits and gigs.
>>
File: download (3).jpg (70 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
70 KB, 400x600
>>47899933
>>
>>47899915
What are the actual rolls though?
Give me an example here. Say I want to cast lightning bolt. Explain what I need to be able to do so and what the end result is dependent upon.

Or how about a more complicated effect like playing giant growth on myself. Or is this a yugioh duels kind of rules where only creature summons get to attack?
>>
>>47899933
Oh jesus I thought they had sworn off doing that.
>>
>>47899890
Your actions are equal to your initiative.

Casting takes actions and costs 1 action for every 2CMC in a card. Skills in Specialized Magic increase usage of those spells to 1 action for every 3CMC in a card instead of 2CMC.

Combat and Performed Actions are rolled with 2d6. Natural 2 is an automatic fail. Natural 12 is an automatic succeed. An attack of of natural 13 cannot be defended against. A successful cast in cast instantly. A failed cast is cast your next turn.

There is no mana pool.

And describe "action economy"?
>>
>>47899982
We all did, anon. Even more surprising is that they released it as free content even if it is just essentially "how to refluff d&d to be like MtG".

Anyone know what happened to the Ravnica homebrew from a while back? There may have been a couple of them if I recall.
>>
>>47900059
How do instant and sorcery speed work then? Can you save initiative to respond to another cast during someone else's turn?
>>
>>47900059
*1 action for every 1CMC in a card
>>
>>47900064
If you find it post that shit dog. I would play the tits off a ravnica game.
>>
>>47899966
Alright, if you want to Cast Lightning Bolt, you use one action (you can cast two 1CMC spells for one action if available). Then Lightning Bolt cannot be cast again until your next turn. You roll 2d6 and try to get above 6. Your ACV and skills can modify this roll. If you fail this roll, the spell is suspended until te start of your next turn. If you succeed, the opponent has to make a DCV roll. If they succeed, the spell does half. If they fail, the spell does full damage. This applies for basic attacks as well. Damage is equal to your ACV.

You can cast buffs, auras, and so forth onto Planeswalkers. Think of Gideon becoming a creature. Planeswalkers cannot be "destroyed, sacrifced, or exiled". A Planeswalker only dies when their HP reaches 0 or less.
>>
>>47900106
Instants can be cast on other players turns if you have Initiative remaining.
>>
>>47900293
I'm debating if 1 action should be equal 1CMC or 2CMC. Any suggestions?
>>
>>47900356
The problem with making it 2 CMC is you lose granularity. You can't easily distinguish between casting a 3 cost spell and a 4 cost spell and it changes the balance to make odd costed spells worse since now they cost the same as a spell with 1 more CMC.
>>
>>47900411
Very true. I'll leave it as 1 action per each 1CMC.
>>
File: mc3_pie.jpg (82 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
mc3_pie.jpg
82 KB, 500x498
>>47899890
Man, I used to be in love with this home brew but now it just reads like an over complicated mess to me. It just shows how ambitious is to try to encompass every rule in Magic and translate it to a tabletop. The game mechanics are just bloated from years of releases. You're probably better off just making a "core set" rules and pushing the rest into an expansion supplement.
>>
>>47900479
I updated the Character Creation page.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/10tf0vfScYah5ls_38eV5OQpJ3Bvvz8Pdzi0Oup6whpM
>>
>>47900554
Is that image like a Mtg alignment wheel?
>>
>>47900938
Easentially, in so far as magic has alignments. The wheel represents general philosophies held by the various colors both in card mechanics and lore.
>>
>>47901555
Neat ever try and use it in a game before? I like it.
>>
>>47901690
How familiar are you with magic exactly? Are you fairly new? Or have you been playing for a very long time?
>>
>>47898609
Is that Urza's floating head?
>>
>>47903410
It is Urza's head. But, I believe it's just sitting on the table.
>>
>>47898609
>>
>>47898609
>playing poker with Jace
There is approximately a zero percent chance he isn't cheating.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.