[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For D&D 5th edition is this a good representation of alignments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8
File: chart.png (325 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
chart.png
325 KB, 2000x2000
For D&D 5th edition is this a good representation of alignments for a newcomer?
>>
>>47897770
LE there is not correct. He would game the system of toilet paper replacement to his advantage. Ensuring to leave just enough so the next would be obligated to change it.
>>
>>47897802
Ok, I didn't really know if LE was
Following evil law
Or disliking regular law
>>
>>47897770
>>47897802

I feel like LE would replace the toilet paper because that is the socially accepted thing to do, but would replace it with awful 1 ply toilet paper because what he's doing is technically the correct thing to do, but he did it with zero consideration for other people's feelings or basic human decency.
>>
>>47898028

i also feel like neutral evil/true evil would not only not replace toilet paper, but may even remove the roll specifically so it would fuck over the next person and for the personal gain of toilet paper.
>>
>>47897770
LG makes it sound like they wouldn't be good and do the right thing if it weren't for the existence of the rules. It's more like a LG person would always replace the toilet paper even if they didn't use the last of it because the law says replacing the paper is a good thing to do.
>>
>>47897770
Lawfull good is not just following rules and being good boi.
>>
>>47898091

I like this, and >>47898127 is right too. a LG person doesn't follow the rules because they think rules are good, that's kind of LN, a LG does what is both good and lawful, because the action is both good and socially accepted. they replace to help their fellow man AND to meet social norms.
>>
>>47897770
Shit like this is exactly why you should scrap alignments altogether. It's not even mechanically relevant in 5e. Besides, any players dumb enough to find alignments useful are also dumb enough to play CN.
>>
>>47897770

Replacing the Toilet Paper just because the rules say it's the right thing to do is more Lawful Neutral than Lawful Good.

It's kind of the Charlie Brown perspective on it. Charlie Brown will go out of his way to change the toilet paper. But he probably doesn't want to. He probably questions why he should. But he knows it's technically the right thing to do, and he knows society works better if people always do the right thing.

You also swung wide on CN. A Chaotic Neutral person will just leave the roll empty and will only change it himself if someone offers him incentive.

Otherwise, this is probably one of the better breakdowns of alignment I've seen.
>>
>>47897770
LG and LE are so wrong, it's almost comical.
It says something about the creator that they got them so screwed up.
>>
File: Lawfulgood.png (205 KB, 1418x721) Image search: [Google]
Lawfulgood.png
205 KB, 1418x721
Aligments are stupid and most people dont know how to use them.

LG best
CN worst
>>
File: Neutral Evil.png (340 KB, 513x375) Image search: [Google]
Neutral Evil.png
340 KB, 513x375
>>47898499

I hate how morons on both sides have ruined CN. A lot of guys who like the alignment think it's some kind of universal excuse for shitty, lolrandum behavior. A lot of the people who hate it think it's just a trap alignment for disruptive retards. Both sides feed each other.

CN is a perfectly valid alignment when you actually play Chaotic Neutral instead the Diet Coke Chaotic Evil everyone thinks it is. It's the Han Solo alignment. It's the "I look after number 1 and maybe numbers 2-4 if you're nice to me" alignment. It's the "I cut the wire" alignment. That's all it is, and as far as alignments go it's one of the least disruptive and one of the most conducive to good roleplaying.

It's weird. Lawful Good is one of the most complex alignments and everyone thinks it's simple. Chaotic Neutral is one of the most simple alignments and everyone thinks it's dynamic and complex.
>>
>>47898592
Most people are playing their characters like captain jack sparrow and random shit lmao. All aligments are good with good hands. CN tends to be really shit when in wrong hands while other are just shit.

Evil/solo characters i think are usually bad.
>>
File: tumblr_nqzfsyR9xX1uryk56o1_500.jpg (27 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nqzfsyR9xX1uryk56o1_500.jpg
27 KB, 500x281
This is a better representation of alignment in 5e.
>>
>>47898592
It doesn't help that PHBs in the past have presented it as the randumb alignment.
>>
>>47898662

Thing is though, when people play Chaotic Neutral in a shit way, they usually aren't playing CN. They're playing Chaotic Evil but think it's CN.
>>
>>47898716
True. But I feel im just circle jerk hating bad players and feeling superior. Im prob just as bad as the people we are dissing.
>>
>>47897770

>LG
Replaces the toilet paper with a fancier brand.

>NG
correct

>CG
close enough

>LN
you got it

>TN
Replaces the paper unless they have some reason not to.

>CN
Replaces the paper if they feel like it.

>LE
Replaces the paper if it's their turn, but they only buy the really awful cheap stuff.

>NE
Usually doesn't replace the paper.

>CE
Usually doesn't replace the paper, and may steal the roll if they think they can get away with it.
>>
>>47898884

>Replaces the paper if it's their turn, but they only buy the really awful cheap stuff.

This is a good description of LE.
>>
>>47898900
I actually came into this thread just to suggest that.
>>
File: 1440270306081.jpg (43 KB, 551x600) Image search: [Google]
1440270306081.jpg
43 KB, 551x600
How would a character of each alignment go about:

>Robbing a bank?
>Defending someone in court?
>Breaking up an argument between two friends?
>>
>>47899068
All alignments aliginments
Who's bank and why

Allow me to pose more nuanced questions
>robbing a bank funded by blood money
>defending an innocent man convicted of murder who also beats his wife
>breaking up an fight between two knights in petty duel
>>
>>47900358

>robbing a bank funded by blood money

Well a Lawful Good character probably seize the bank and arrest whoever's in on it. Remember, part of Lawful Good is the fact you're not only Good, but also typically the proper authority.

A Chaotic Good character would probably focus on the guys putting the money and stopping whatever is generating the money. Batman doesn't rob mob banks.
>>
>>47900358
LG will defend the man to the death because the man is innocent of the crime he is put to trial to. LG will also try to reform wife beater by enrolling him in anger management and couples therapy.

Lawfully Evil will do the same but charge a hefty fee for it. Also, be screwing the wife on the side and preparing for a nasty divorce.
>>
>>47897770
alignments are only good if used as a general guideline not a hard and fast rule. at worst it punishes players that want their character to have and arc.
>>
CE replaces the toilet paper, but puts the roll on backwards.
>>
>legalanon here.

Let me correct the legal column for you.

>LG
replaces the toilet paper because we must do our part in order to help everyone else keep toilet manners. You found paper when you got there, right? That's because others did their part. Don't forget it.

>LN
changes the toilet paper because it's a commonly held position/a reasonable argument/tradition commands that toilets must have toilet paper at all times. What are we, savages?

>LE
replaces it with sandpaper. Yes, it's paper. Are you sure you want to use it?. You know, I can get you this very fancy toilet paper if you do something for me. We'll settle the details later.
>>
>>47898592
Now I know what an actual CN is like
>>
File: Alignments2.png (19 KB, 544x539) Image search: [Google]
Alignments2.png
19 KB, 544x539
The alignemnt system in use in DnD isn't particularly good. The best one i could come up with is a square based pyramid with law, chaos, good and evil in its corners and self interest on top.
It's essentially based on my idea of
>pic related
but with the added shaped dimension of selfishness on top which recognizes that you can only be truly selfish if you are a true neutral.

And through this shape it's also pretty easy to recognize why the DnD alignment system, no matter what edition will not be completely satisfactory and can not ever be represented in the "correct" way if more than one person is interpreting it.
>>
Lawful good: puts the toilet paper in the right way.
Neutral good: puts the toilet paper in the wrong way.
Chaotic good: stands the new roll on top of the empty spool in the toilet paper holder.

Lawful Neutral: puts the new roll on top of the sink counter, and leaves the bag on the floor in front of the toilet.
True Neutral: If the roll is low enough to worry about, brings in another roll anyway... now there are two half-used rolls, but his ass is safe.
Chaotic neutral: puts the new roll in the sink, before washing his hands.
Lawful evil: Brings in his own toilet paper, takes it out with him, and proposes everyone else does the same.
Neutral evil: Does not replace the toilet paper
Chaotic evil: Leaves the new roll on the far side of the shower, where you cannot reach it from the toilet without leaving a trail of shit dribbles across the floor.
>>
>>47897770
No representation is good.
>>
>>47897770
I laughed out loud at CE. Saved and well done.
>>
>>47898070
Nah; LE would continuously swap out any 2+ ply paper with awful 1 ply, that way they can used the hoarded 2+ ply for themselves, while still keeping a semblance of always changing the roll when it needs to be changed.
>>
>>47897770
LG knows replacing the toilet paper is good and makes it a rule that it should be done

CG replaces the toilet paper but respects others' rights not to

TN uses as little toilet paper as possible and only replaces it with enough for the next person

LE makes it a rule that others must replace the toilet paper for him and not doing so is punishable by death

NE will take all the toilet paper and demand to be paid to replace it
>>
>>47898499
I dislike that copypaste because I feel that the last post starts to get well into NG rather LG. I also do not feel that NG needs to be pussies.

To me what the dividing line between NG and LG is that the LG has a strong faith in proceduralism. That there is a way to do things that is right most of the time, and it is valuable for being as such. By sticking to that way of doing things LG individuals protect that masses against the harm that moment of personal weakness or character flaws in otherwise good and trust-able persons with authority may cause. Even if you do not have a personal character flaw trying to stick to procedure if possible sets a good example for others to follow. LG characters have a lean to thinking in the long term, especially on the matter of what happens when I am no longer around a troubled area.

NG character either do not think about that subject, or trust in either exceptionalism or in a wide spread benevolence human nature.
>>
File: 1444831563019.jpg (186 KB, 660x560) Image search: [Google]
1444831563019.jpg
186 KB, 660x560
>>47897770

That pic is wrong though.

CE WOULD replace the toilet paper... but would put the roll on backwards.
>>
>>47898662
>All aligments are good with good hands. CN tends to be really shit when in wrong hands while other are just shit.

You have not seen how bad LG done wrong is. It becomes PVP: the alignment. Even against the others good aligned PCs in the party.
>>
>>47898662
>Any alignment can be good.
A couple of my favorite characters were LE, or NE. Both of them fit in pretty well in our non evil group, while adding an interesting dimension to the campaign.

I've also enjoyed LN, and TN.

Really I've enjoyed playing a character of every alignment except CE at this point.
>>
File: 845970333-nietzsche.jpg (151 KB, 773x1024) Image search: [Google]
845970333-nietzsche.jpg
151 KB, 773x1024
What's his alignment?
>>
DnD5e runs best without using alignments at all.
Seriously, there's a reason the rules barely mention it, and things like Detect Evil only work on otherworldly entities.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.