[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There is something I always wondered about fantasy settings how
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 54249.jpg (370 KB, 675x850) Image search: [Google]
54249.jpg
370 KB, 675x850
There is something I always wondered about fantasy settings how are the adventures able to not shit themselves when they see monsters or supernatural phenomena? I mean I can understand mages but a fucking thief or warrior who used to fight other warriors? Makes no sense if a let's say Crip found a demon in da hood you think he would go ''shiet nigga gotta bust some clips in this mothafucka''? No, he would run away.
>>
>>47891269
depends how common magic and monsters are in the world, and how extreme an example they are seeing.

I mean, even if mages and magic are semi-rare, but most cities have a few capable of doing magical things, then even if the warrior or thief doesn't often see magical things, they will have seen them at least a few time, and heard about them a lot.

Or they might have scene stepping stones up to that level. Like, demons are rare and kinda freaky, but they've seen trolls and minotaurs before, and so it's not completely out there.

But again, depends on the setting.
>>
>>47891305
Trolls are more like animals or another sentient race (depending on the setting) than a monster I mean a hunter saw boars and bears but that doesn't mean he would take a T-Rex well.
>>
>>47891337
take on, maybe not. Freak out, less likely.

A hunter who's only shot at coyotes, might not be able to take on a bear, and might be sensibly afraid. But he won't shit himself, and if he has a big enough gun to kill the bear, would be confident he could kill it. That same princible would extend up to the t-rex, just a much bigger gun.

The reason a hunter would freak out about seeing t-rex is that it would not be a thing he would expect and know about how they act. But if t-rexs were a thing that existed in the world, and they had heard about, it would just be another step up.
>>
>>47891269
Adventurers in general can keep a level head. Warriors are ballsy as fuck. Roguish types learn early on that panicking gets you caught, which gets you killed.
>>
>>47891398
Yeah I'm sure a hunter wouldn't be afraid of fucking T-Rex

get outside sometimes I see you forgot how people even behave
>>
>>47891269
Don't a lot of really freaky-looking monsters have a fear aura, or at least a free intimidate roll at start of combat? I know most species of hag make you roll to not be shocked by their ugliness, even though illustrations make them seem somewhat humanoid.
Then there are a lot of low-level monsters that just look like mutant animals. For example, a displacer beast wouldn't be substantially more terrifying to behold than any other large feline that wants to kill you. The time to shit yourself and run away comes when you realize what it can do.
>>
>>47891416
given that I said that they would be sensible afraid of a bear, I'm not sure not sure where the fuck you got that.
>>
>>47891416
Get your eyes checked.
>sensibly afraid of a bear
>But knows he could kill it with a big enough gun.
>Same principle would extend to a t-rex.
So yes, he'd be afraid of a t-rex, but a big ass gun does wonders for morale.
>>
>>47891432
In D&D, at least. And that is the common system, typically.
>>
>>47891269
Depends on level of training and how conditioned their responses are. For a real world example look at any any branch of the armed forces. They do drills over and over and over and over so that when the soldiers get put in that situation, regardless of current emotion, they do what they were trained to do.

Realistically that only works for things like warriors, paladins, maybe barbarians, and a few others. For all the self taught fellas out there the best I can think of is either they know of these things and have probably seen enough artist renditions to keep their pants relatively dry or because of the mindset it takes to become an adventurer in the first place, IE one of being ok with throwing yourself in front of constant danger for profit. Or andrenaline junkies.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.