[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever invented a spell, or wanted to invent a spell but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: cestree_witch.jpg (97 KB, 431x434) Image search: [Google]
cestree_witch.jpg
97 KB, 431x434
Have you ever invented a spell, or wanted to invent a spell but your DM said no?
>>
I once tried to weaponize a chain of non-lethal spells. I came close to my dream of an orbital Mount spell mass-driver system.
>>
There's an arcane Faerun spell called the Symbul's sequencer, which converted any amount of spell slots into healing at a terrible efficiency rate, but was still a cool spell because it was arcane healing and made use of largely useless lower level spell slots.

I invented my own sequencer, which converted spell slots into raw damage. It was horribly unbalanced and dumb, and was something to the order that if you expended all your spell slots of 7th level and lower, you could deal over 1,000 damage with a single spell, reflex half.
>>
In a campaign where plants took up the niche of undead, my DM okayed all of my cleric's spells and abilities that said "undead" to affect plants instead.

I was sorta a miracle-gromancer.
>>
Two separate occasions, the same campaign. First time, found a book in Draconic about "cold fire" and tried to see if I could turn it into a spell. DM said no. Second time, tried to invent an arcane version of Detect Evil. DM said "no, it doesn't work that way." Meanwhile, he let another player invent an arcane version of Speak with Dead and another spell that could destroy a castle in one go as a relatively low-level spell.

>>47890623
What's the math like on the spell slots -> raw damage spell?
>>
>>47890143
I did.

We were playing Savage Worlds, so all it took was a trapping and the DM said yes.

My sorcerer is now a punch wizard who can flex so hard he increases his strength, and gets a minor damage aura on a raise. That combined with the Smite spell makes it a really fun character to play.
>>
>>47891157
I thought it would be fair, since it was a 9th level arcane spell and arcane spells were much better at dealing damage than healing, that it should deal 20HP for each spell level sacrificed.

(Apparently, the original spell was actually Simbul's Synostodweomer, and that spell restored a whole 2HP for each spell level sacrificed.)

You can sort of guess I wasn't very old when I made this spell up.
>>
>>47891274
Was it single target or area of effect? I like the fluff behind dumping most or all of your spells for the day to get a single tremendous spike of damage or healing.

Personally, I'd make it 5HP/spell level for healing or damage. Maybe 10 for damage.
>>
>>47891709
I think it was 10ft radius per spell level expended.

My original thought process was just that it was going to be a spell someone could sacrifice a couple spell levels to get something similar to a Meteor Swarm (perhaps a little stronger, thanks to sacrificing a bit more to cast it), but in the end I was just less interested in making a balanced spell and more interested in just creating the biggest bang ever.
>>
>>47891842
Is it just an explosion centered on you the caster, or like Dragon Slave?
>>
>>47890143
Not really. Most I've done is ask my DM if I can have element swapped version of an existing spell to better suit a character concept. He allowed it just fine.
>>
>>47891907
It may have very well been my attempt to bring Dragon Slave into D&D, because some part of me felt that Meteor Swarm just wasn't big enough.
>>
>>47892116
I agree with you there. As someone who loves blaster casters, Meteor Swarm is rather disappointing as the pinnacle of blasting.
>>
>>47892188
Meteor Swarm, while disappointing, is still one of my favorite spells, but I consider the real pinnacle of blasting to be Apocalypse from the Sky.

10d6 may not seem like a lot of damage, but with an area of 10 miles per caster level, it's likely the biggest bang since the first one.
>>
>>47892713
Holy shit, is that an epic level spell or some 3rd party thing?
>>
>>47892729
9th level, Book of Vile Darkness.
http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/apocalypse-from-the-sky--131/index.html
>>
>>47892790
Ah, that explains it. Never read much from BoVD and BoED since they were banned for players in my group. Mostly just skimmed the prestige classes.
>>
>>47892790
>Become immune to fire, gain waterbreathing
>Walk to the north pole and cast an enlarged, maximized Apocalypse From The Sky (Fire) with a metamagic rod or whatever
>Laugh as the planet floods as the ice caps melt and/or fucking explode
>>
>>47890143
I tried making a spell that would make the dm run a decent game. He made me roll to make it fair.
I rolled a 20, but he kicked me out of the group. So I guess the spell worked.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.