[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who would you rather play with: >A) Grimdark edgemaster player
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1388496780630.jpg (73 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
1388496780630.jpg
73 KB, 500x514
Who would you rather play with:
>A) Grimdark edgemaster player who acts brooding all the time (only ingame) and plays some sort of a strider or guts clone. Takes the campaign plot seriously, and although he can only roleplay as a dark brooding guy, he can pull it off pretty well and can advance the plot. Not a super friendly guy irl, but isn't a dick either, just minds his own business.
>B) Happy go-lucky character who laughs about murder. Plays something very heavy hitting or something that can cast lots of magic (probably fire magic). Has something that really stands out about their character in a "funny" way (pink haired gnome barbarian, cultured and intelligent half-orc with a monocle, ect). Doesn't take the story seriously. Doesn't really drive the story forward, and in fact kind of holds it back, but is always making people laugh by doing silly things that ultimately have no impact on anything. Friendlier than the grimdark guy.
>C) Completely silent guy. Doesn't hinder the story's progress, but doesn't drive it forward either. Isn't funny, but doesn't roleplay or take anything seriously either. Just sits back and rolls the dice. Doesn't really interact with anyone and he's playing a pretty generic character.

All three players are equally skilled at combat.

Pic unrelated.
>>
>>47883985
Edgemaster. Advancing the plot, whether sandbox or full railroading, is direly underrated.

I just read the chatlog of a Roll20 game with memelords like B and my god, it was a miracle anything was accomplished. And that was a cartoony lighthearted game where they fit in quite well, not a serious campaign at all.

C is the worst.
>>
>>47883985

I'll take A. I've played with several of these type and if they can actually do it well then that's fine.

C is tolerable, and in my experience these types can be drawn out of their shells if the GM focusses a plot on them.

B is a lolsorandum timewaster.
>>
>>47883985
A. There's nothing wrong with grimdark edginess if it's played well. The biggest problem with broody loner characters is that they often don't cooperate with the party or story, but he's advancing the plot so it's fine.
>>
I've been gaming exclusively with Bs and Cs ever since I started GMing. A doesn't even need to be good at roleplaying, I just want somebody who actually gives a shit about the game.
>>
A. No question.
>>
A, because I am old and cranky and B is infuriating 99% of the time (whereas A is only infuriating about half the time) and C is not actually playing the same game I am playing.
>>
>>47884570
Is there a type of player that's not infuriating to you at all?
>>
>>47884588
Probably someone like A, but with more range.
>>
A. Someone who roleplays and can advance the plot? Where can I get some players like that?

C is ok, at least he isn't holding back the game.

B is why most of my groups collapse.
>>
>>47883985

A. An edgelord that can play their role well is a gift from God.
>>
>>47883985
I've played with all three, in the same game, and B is the only one with whom I'm still friends. And I'd probably choose that anyway, since I prefer flamboyant to grimdark.
>>
A > C > B because forward > neutral > reverse.

*If* someone can do funny or weird in a way that moves the story forward more power to them, especially if they're the type that can throw in the occasional "you know why I laugh at guys like you?" monologue for bonus points and avoid stepping on the atmosphere by doing the wrong thing at the wrong time.
>>
The Happy go-lucky character, don't know how he overpowered than the edgemaster but seems pretty useful
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.