[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I run a game in a cyberprep setting? For those who don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5
File: cortana-600px.jpg (39 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
cortana-600px.jpg
39 KB, 600x300
How do I run a game in a cyberprep setting?
For those who don't know, imagine a the typical cyberpunk world but its utopic instead of dystopic

Like what quests could I give to my players or what NPCs could they meet?
>>
>>47881672
Everyone's not a dick.
>>
>>47881672
Prostitution leading into a loving marrage with children.
>>
File: 1465702089620.jpg (1 MB, 1200x848) Image search: [Google]
1465702089620.jpg
1 MB, 1200x848
>>47881672
It would be like The Culture. You go on adventures and explore new places, meeting strange alien races and getting embroiled in intrigue and danger. Then at the end the GM reveals that everything you just did was meaningless and godlike AIs were solving all the real problems behind the scenes.
>>
Dull shit ones to go with your dull shit setting
>>
>>47881672
>utopic instead of dystopic
Okay. What sort of conflict do you want the game to revolve around?

A good story needs some sort of conflict. Something for the players to solve, fix, fight, overcome.

There are problems even in a utopia, the whole system just isn't all fucked.
>>
>>47881672
Writing the best damn research grant proposal they can.

Fully complying with the DO-178F software engineering process.

Auditing a mining company to ensure the proper OSHA standards are followed on their facility on IO. Since it's a utopia, they do, but you still have to prove it.
>>
>>47881672
One man's utopia is another's dystopia.
>>
>>47883197
Sweet jesus. I had some crazy nutball libertarian try and claim that Bradbury's StarTrek liberal utopia was more dystopian than Shadowrun cyberpunk.
>>
>>47882700
The first time I heard of cyberprep I tough "So vaporwave without neon?"
So I was imagining quests like going to the mall or searching for an aestethic beat for their new album

>>47882787
That sounds like a houses and humans campaign
>>
>>47882700
Not OP, but maybe it could be like Star Trek. There is a utopia, but the problems come with trying to spread your naive optimism everywhere and banging aliens and/or unaugmented humans wherever you go.
>>
>>47883592
Me individual!
Government bad!
Military bad!
etc
that kind of shit?

I'm probs liberal on a majority of matters, but so many people confuse it for some anti-government philosophy.
>>
>>47881672
>Your Apple iCyberdeck is almost out of juice
>And the party starts in 2 hours!
>Are you bad enough to find a hotplug or eco-friendly power source in time to save the day!?!?
>>
>>47881672
since dystopian settings need conflicts that involve fighting against the dystopian setting to survive in it

my best guess would be that utopic settings would need conflict that puts the utopic nature of the setting in danger or imbalance - the stake is that if you fail, there will be a rupture in your utopia and it will thus cease to be one

the problem is that there's no way to put real conflict in a utopic setting without breaking the "utopic" part
>>
File: FILE099.jpg (191 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
FILE099.jpg
191 KB, 500x641
>>47883920
>>
>bunch of nice kids want to play pretend that its nice in the future

okay
>>
File: space elevator.jpg (65 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
space elevator.jpg
65 KB, 636x358
>>47881672
quest ideas
>industrial espionage. Your competitors R&D department keeps coming up with some ground breaking discoveries into surgical methods and cybernetics. After you've done some snooping you find out they're engaging in research that violates all sorts of ethical laws, but your employers want to not expose the ethical breaches, so long as they're still able to profit off of their competitors ethical misconduct with free data and gleaned trade secrets.
>Try to save an AI that has been framed as rampant, but is really just a whistle blower.
>Find a female for the last male of an endangered species of some kind of cyberprep creature.
>Cybernetic limbs are being hacked into and innocent people are being forced to rob banks. The most common means is for a cyborgs limbs to walk a person up to a bank teller with a burner phone, and the hacker on the other end of the cell demands a money transfer to stop their unwilling accomplice's limbs from killing their hostage. So far no one has died, but the general public, let alone the banks, are desperate for information on how someone is able to hack systems that should be unhackable.
>find out why members of a peaceful transhumanist cult/religion have started disappearing after a new sect of the religion was formed, and declared the original religion's adherents heretical.
>>
File: 141062591064.jpg (43 KB, 720x476) Image search: [Google]
141062591064.jpg
43 KB, 720x476
>>47884632
these are actually really good and interesting. Now I really want to join a game lke this.
>>
>>47881672
Seems like a good mindset for this is noblebright cyberpunk. There are threats to be dealt with, but the world's actually better for being run by corporations. Nutjob hackers and technology-gone-rogue are the central threat, rather than protagonists/obstacles, and you are handsomely rewarded for dealing with them.

(While in truth this sounds like a libertarian's wankfuel, I guess I don't know that CEOs are less benevolent-per-capita than your average nation's leader. So if you can live with it "happy populations/good leaders" in various fantasy settings, it makes sense enough for cyberprep.)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.