[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
K6BD RPG
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13
File: KSBDRPGv1.3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
KSBDRPGv1.3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
This thread is for discussion of Broken World, the powered-by-Apocalypse-World RPG made by Abbadon to be the RPG companion to his wonderful webcomic, Kill Six Billion Demons. In his own words,

"Broken World is designed to be run as a set of extraordinary and powerful characters overcoming ruination in a vast, multi-dimensional fantasy setting. Each game is designed to follow the characters as they struggle with a broken world.
The core world of Kill Six Billion Demons is a multiverse - filled with hundreds of thousands of cultures and thousands of races, along with angels and devils. They all interact through the ruined and holy city of Throne, the hub-city at the center of all creation. Each world is a physical space that can be traveled to by means of a King's Gate, which connects to the multiverse-spanning King's Road. The road runs through each reality, and the Void Between Worlds, a great emptiness outside of creation."

It should also be mentioned that there is also involved the septpartite cabal of interdimensional mafioso sorcerers running the rotted Divine Corpse of the universe, as well as their infinitely-complex and unceasingly scheming intermediaries the Guilds who squabble over their scraps, and the big swirling bowl of mess and scum at the bottom of them all.

But if the bones of the universe are to be broken, then let us not worry ourselves with who sits atop the body; instead, let us drink with mirth the divine marrow that spills out! After all, everyone knows that, no matter who stamps around in the heavens, the true name of God is I.

Please keep in mind that any discussion in this thread of the comic Kill Six Billion Demons or of its creator should be only in reference to the RPG, and any other discussion should be taken to /co/.
>>
File: ksdb1.jpg (597 KB, 850x1100) Image search: [Google]
ksdb1.jpg
597 KB, 850x1100
>>47878595
I'll also be dumping cool pictures from the comic so as to give the thread a feel for the series.
>>
>>47878595
>>47878691
There's already a KSBD thread on /tg/
>>47856745
>>
>actual RPG with pdf in the OP

Fair enough.
>>
File: ksdb2-throne.jpg (1002 KB, 1400x908) Image search: [Google]
ksdb2-throne.jpg
1002 KB, 1400x908
>>47878736
Yes, I know, but that thread is shit and everyone is complaining in it, so far as I've seen.
>>
File: 1458508614202.jpg (214 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
1458508614202.jpg
214 KB, 600x900
>>47878595
The problem with this game is that it requires a lot of heavy lifting on the part of the GM

So many of the mechanics include things like 'your enemy gets an advantage' or 'something happens in the world while you're wasting time', requiring the person running the game to keep track of numerous things extraneous to the actual action happening at the moment. Ordinarily this would be par for the course, but the world of KSBD is extremely complicated with its own expansive lore and mythos, meaning that keeping tabs on what's happening offscreen is a daunting task.

The upside is that the classes are genuinely very cool and different, with lots of flavor and customization options
>>
File: ksdb8-standoff.jpg (2 MB, 1800x1165) Image search: [Google]
ksdb8-standoff.jpg
2 MB, 1800x1165
>>47878888
Nice quads, anon.
I think you have a good point, and I agree. Although, if you're enough into improv, and your players are as well, it might not be too difficult. I enjoy the idea of advantages and disadvantages, and I think it works better in this game than in, say, Dungeon World, because Broken World is centered so much more around wacky, interesting settings. You can go from a nightclub to a temple to a sewer to a dead god's rotten brain or some other silly thing just like that, which gives you and your players a lot of opportunities to come up with interesting advantages or disadvantages based on what's going on in the environment.
>>
File: ksbd3-glorytothedivinecorpse.jpg (2 MB, 1800x1100) Image search: [Google]
ksbd3-glorytothedivinecorpse.jpg
2 MB, 1800x1100
GLORY TO THE DIVINE CORPSE
>>
>>47878736
>>naaaah! You can't talk about a /tg/ related comic on /tg/ you butt plunderers! Talk about The RPG if anything!
>>well ok
>>NAAAAAH there's allready a thread about this, you anal pirates!
You know what?
Fuck 4chan. I'm outta here.
>>
>>47879199
And nothing of value was lost
>>
File: ksbd4-hell71.jpg (772 KB, 1000x847) Image search: [Google]
ksbd4-hell71.jpg
772 KB, 1000x847
>>47879199
Anon please. We can have peaceful threads!
>>
>>47878963
Gotta love them Pursuers.
>>
>>47879100
There is no glory. There is no corpse. Someone hasn't been reading about YISUN.
>>
File: ksdb5-conqueringking.jpg (645 KB, 850x1095) Image search: [Google]
ksdb5-conqueringking.jpg
645 KB, 850x1095
>>47879365
I certainly do. It seems as though the sword guy and the gun-witch will be particularly important in the future. What classes do you think you'd have to use to use them in the RPG? I'm thinking either the Fury or the Hunter for the samurai looking one, and maybe the Hunger for the gun-witch.

>>47879370
There surely is glory in your corpse bringing so much to so many, don't you think?
>>
Abortively played a game of this as MOUTH WARRIOR, a cannibal scholar (and human master) who believed the proof of the pudding was very literally in the eating. He wore a set of rusty iron jaws around his neck, his teeth were black and red and harder than rock, and Swat at Flies was fluffed as biting projectiles out of the air.
>>
File: ksdb6-kingsgate.jpg (857 KB, 900x1165) Image search: [Google]
ksdb6-kingsgate.jpg
857 KB, 900x1165
>>47879569
See, this is how you play this game!
But why 'abortively'?
>>
>>47878736
Yeah, and it's dominated for one faggot that keeps insisting that it's "spam."
>>
>>47878595
That class spread is really interesting looking. I wish my group was into the comic.
>>
>>47879474
And Maya, obviously, being one of the few demiurges still kicking around. Plus, y'know, her last name meaning "Murder the Gods and Topple Their Thrones."
>>
>>47879474
If you cut your hand open to sustain yourself on your own blood is there glory in the action? If a wolf chews its own leg off to escape a trap is there glory? Action to sustain oneself has no glory as it is merely expected.
>>
>>47879474
The comic needs more of Zoss and his exploits.
>>
File: ksbd7-theguilds.jpg (824 KB, 900x1160) Image search: [Google]
ksbd7-theguilds.jpg
824 KB, 900x1160
>>47879643
You know, mine wasn't, but we still managed to play just fine once I went through the basics of the setting and I got them to read the first like 20 pages. It's definitely got a very unique feel that can be tough to replicate, especially when your players don't really know the setting, but the thing is, they probably won't be very involved in the universe-spanning conflicts of the comic itself, so a lot of it unimportant. So long as you can come up with something fun and bizarre that works with the setting, if your players are openminded enough, it's just like playing anything.
For example, I set my game on an island in Throne, one of those piles of corpses out in the water, and just basically made it its own thing. Every street in Throne has its own drama, politics, and culture, according to Abaddon, so I thought I'd use that as an excuse to exercise my own creativity. Of course, I mentioned the demiurges and other setting things; the island itself was ruled by a king who was an underling of Mottom, there was a guy trying to take over who was a servant of Gog-Agog, blah blah blah, but since these characters weren't actually themselves involved, having read the comic wasn't particularly important to the game itself; especially when you think about how much all the small folk know (or even really care) about the big guys they live under.

>>47879746
But is there any action made not to sustain oneself? A will is created, not given, and a will is created to sustain the vessel of the flame immortal. If glory cannot be found in self-preservation, then there is no glory at all.
>>
>>47879821
Why? He fought the prime angels and killed them all. He fought the universe and won. He lost in a 6 to 1 fight. Compared to these things anything else is filler and unnecessary and you couldn't sketch how crazy awesome the previous 3 fights were. So whats the point in filling in the minor and meaningless details?
>>
>>47879890
There is no glory at all as will existed before itself as it will after as it always has.
>>
>>47879898
Well, he was a badass among badasses even before he became the Conquering/Ruling King, so Abbadon could expand on that a bit, even just as text-only stuff.
>>
File: ksbd9-hell71again.jpg (3 MB, 1600x2473) Image search: [Google]
ksbd9-hell71again.jpg
3 MB, 1600x2473
>>47879930
Oh shit anon what have you done
>>
File: image.png (211 KB, 283x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
211 KB, 283x300
>>47880033
I have shown the way of YISUN.
>>
>>47878595
Is this game playable if nobody in the group has read the comic?
>>
>>47879898
Did he actually ever lose? Both in the case of the demiurge war and his death at the hands of 6 Juggs he didn't really even try to fight, since the outcome apparently didn't matter to him.
>>
>>47879616
Ah, game fell through. It was really just for a couple of test sessions, so no surprise.
>>
>>47880332
Well he did die. He was in the angels background dimension as a soul though that may have been simple banishment like with the angel and his body is just elsewhere or destroyed.
>>
>>47880326
Probably not, it's where the appeal comes from and the wacky lingo to sell the world.
Otherwise just make up whatever you prefer instead.
>>
>>47880370
It appeals to me in a planescape kind of way, only more interesting with everything falling apart. Post-apoc planescape.
>>
>>47880369
Yeah. I guess I'm just arguing semantics but I just wanted to point out that there's really no reason to assume that Zoss has lost yet in any sense of the word. He beat up all the prime angels by himself os the most likely explanation for his death is simply that he let it happen, or perhaps even wanted it. He was handing over his key already after all. Abaddon has implied that death really isn't the kind of issue for an aspirant to true Royalty like Zoss as it is to others.
>>
>>47880493
I always wondered about that. I figured it was like he was being hunted down by iron nails and he only got taken down so easily as he was fleeing AND had his key taken out and ready for transfer.
>>
>>47880580
Could be. In the end it is just too early to make any solid guesses on Zoss's state of being and motivations, but I'm pretty sure he'll still have some agency in the story.
>>
File: ksdb10-concordance.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1035) Image search: [Google]
ksdb10-concordance.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1035
>>47880326
I would say so. My friends didn't know the comic, and I was able to do it (see >>47879890). It's not too bad if you just get the very basics of the setting down. Since the setting is itself so diverse, you can really do anything you want with it.
>>
>>47878888
Honestly, those are really things that the GM should be doing anyway, no? Giving players' actions far-reaching consequences, or keeping track of what's going on in the world around them, that's just kinda good GMing in the first place.

Now, not to say it isn't tough, and that making it a consequence of the system might make it happen more often than it otherwise would - that is completely true, it is tough, and this system does make it more common. But my point is, I think GMs should be in the habit of thinking that way, taking those kinds of notes, anyway.

If you don't want to take notes, just play naturally. Most GMs will give their enemies an interesting advantage, or have stuff happening in the background... just look at your players meaningfully and they'll 'connect the dots' for you.

Also, I do agree that the #1 problem with the system is just that it's got a very difficult tone to emulate, a very expansive and unique world to capture. That is definitely a trial for a GM.
>>
>>47881169
It's definitely easier if the players are co-operative there.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.