[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Game Design / dev/ Homebrew
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9
File: Math1.jpg (3 MB, 3600x2057) Image search: [Google]
Math1.jpg
3 MB, 3600x2057
Game Design, Game Dev, Homebrew thread

What are you brewing?
>>
tea
>>
>>47877241
It's summer, why hot tea?
>>
R8 my gnomes

Gnome
0.6m HP:30 MP: 80 SP: 4 CW: 10kg
Squishy | A gnome can shrink itself to half it's size by evacuating 1.5L of water in it's body, it's Size become tiny and it's speed/CW are reduced by 50%. It can regain it's size by consuming or absorbing at least 1L of water.

Goo Form | Upon reaching it's Death Value a gnome will dissolve into a near liquid form which tries to keep itself together rather than flowing into a puddle. After 6 hours the glob of former gnome will reform and the gnome will return to life at 25% HP/MP if it's not cleansed with a strong acid. A gnome can only return to life in this manner 3 times per body.
>>
Attempting work on my Megaman: Battle Network RPG. Recently switched from an action pool system to a 10-round rock/paper/scissors type deal. Transition was smooth enough but there's some leftover character creation stuff I need to fix.

Should have a playable update soon. Any interested in a CCG-TTRPG set in 200X with superhero PDAs?
>>
>>47880787
Wait, what did you do to the combat? I don't see how that would translate well to an RPG
>>
>>47880829
Before the system would be based off of a variable pool of attack, move, and reaction actions, each allowing the character to do a certain number of offensive attacks, dodges, and defensive attacks. The turn-based nature heavily favored the reaction actions so a character with a bunch of those could dominate the field and be not that enjoyable to fight.

I switched to a simultaneous turn system where each player plays their card face-down then reveal it at the same time. The card can be a movement, attack, or block. I stole the idea from Yomi, but adapted it slightly considering the setting and desired length of combat I'm going for. Made defensive actions less viable for extended periods unless you HEAVILY invest in it, in order to encourage quicker fights.

Basically instead of 5 turns of one side alternating with 5 turns of the other side I turned it into 10 simultaneous turns.
>>
>>47881036
Why didn't you just make the 3x3 boards bigger and rebalance things?
>>
>>47881266
I am already planning for boards bigger than 3x3 on each size, and this is basically my way of rebalancing things. Making the boards bigger doesn't discourage over-reliance of reactions, if anything the additional space to dodge attacks reinforces it further.

That's why I changed the reaction system to a block system, instead of getting a move action + becoming immune to the attack you stay put and reduce the oncoming attack by half. To compensate for this, buster attacks can quickly reduce your ability to block for that round. This + the simultaneous system allows for a RPS effect where Attack > buster > Block > attack. I feel that is more in the spirit of battle network's mix of CCGs and fighting games.
>>
>>47881446
Do you have exact turn based movement? like X number of squares per turn? because you probably don't need that
>>
>>47877257
>Not getting your sweat on.
Unhealthy.
>>
>>47877235
Working on a not-serious bullshit game. Parody of fantasy dungeon crawling, sorta half-inspired by Tales of the Floating Vagabond.
>>
>>47877235
if you'll permit me to be triggered math degree-haver, the image in your OP is all gibberish.
>>
File: Yugioh GX Equations.jpg (1 MB, 1917x4310) Image search: [Google]
Yugioh GX Equations.jpg
1 MB, 1917x4310
>>47881627
>>
>>47881496
Yes and no. Navis have their own choice of movement. The precise, unlimited movement can only go 2 squares in any combination of direction. Others move like chess pieces, are restricted to one column, or warp around randomly.

Move actions are still somewhat similar to what they were before: the total number of moves you can make in that 10-action round. How you move is dependent on your navi's movetype (what I explained above).

Right now during character creation you have the choice of trading more HP for less move actions or vice-versa (both can be raised through character upgrades).
>>
Working on making a card game system. I've done tons of different systems over the years but turn based resource and combats like magic are really hard to get away from if you want combat in your game. I've finally come up with a system that doesn't use life but it's still sadly a bit generic.
>>
>>47881648
thank you
>>
Testing my chess variant based on Moore neighborhood, instead being based on Von Neumann neighborhood like usual chess
>>
File: IAintGottaExplainShit.png (21 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
IAintGottaExplainShit.png
21 KB, 1000x1000
I'm trying to devise a system of magic divided into four cardinal "groups" each with four 'schools' within

Nothing's concrete as yet, but I could use some help solidifying stuff, or coming up with more shit

I've considered moving the elements, one into each of the four larger groups, but it seems the wrong move to me
>>
>>47881682
Slap on a cool enough aesthetic to the cards. Most players won't mind the samey mechanics for a card game if the story being told is cool.
>>
Linking to a post in the last thread for feedback and bumping the thread.
>>47868474
>>
How many attributes is too many? Alternately, how many is too few?

Writing up a system and considered using Body, Mind, Spirit, and Focus. The first three being self explanatory, and the fourth powering special features (like magical ability).
>>
>>47884271
Just use however many you need
>>
>>47884271
>>47884303
Basically this. As long as you don't pull a FATAL and have 24 attributes, all of which overlap.
I tend to focus on having every Attribute serve a definitive purpose, but that's me.
>>
I'm working on a living card game that is based on US Folklore heroes. You pick 4 of the 24 possible heroes and use the ~14 cards each of those provide to build your deck of 40 cards.
>>
>>47884271
>>47884303 is right. So long as you don't go overboard. One idea is to come up with your base and see how many attributes you need, then start pairing them down, combining them as you need, and see how low you can go before it starts to feel bland.
>>
>>47877235
Posting this in the new thread, previous thread I got ZERO replies.

"So, I'm currently in the process of designing a "fighting" game based RPG, and I've decided to go the non-linear route for combat, meaning anyone can do anything at any time, and it's roughly determined by Agility rating as to who goes first. I'm kind of at a cross-roads in terms of functionality for more than 2 people at a time.

Right now it functions as action and reaction for those involved in combat, and for those outside of the direct combat, they can act freely (for instance, if two characters are fighting on top of a moving vehicle, that driver is capable of acting freely regardless of the action sequence of the two fighting and can effect the fight thusly.

Also, there are no "base movement speeds" and your movement is determined by your agility rating, and I'm still trying to figure that out exactly, since I have the basics down for changing distancing in combat, but I'm still not sure how to make it function in terms of if you're running to escape. I could just make it so that "higher agility is faster than lower agility", but then you'd have lower agility always being outrun and having enemies essentially being able to escape freely."
>>
>>47882611
Aren't Magic of Men and Magic of Nature pretty much the same? Humans are animals, and any sort of magic that could work on humans would of course work on beasts (and probably vice-versa).

Also adding on to either/both of those:
>Spirit Magic
Buffing, debuffing, maybe some healing, the super advance get into some possible necromancy situations (the kind revolving around spirits and ghosts, not so much literal animation)
>Animation
Golems, machinery, and possibly the physical side of Necromancy (so, ignoring spirits and such. Only moving the body.)

Throwing into True Magic:
>Divination
>Evocation
As in like pure creation or destruction of matter, whereas Conjuration just brings it to you. Obviously a very tough school to even start with.

I dunno if Divine Magic would suit your setting, but if you did want to roll them in, then that could be your fourth. Doesn't even have to be holy; just as long as it's borrowed power from someone (or something?).

Anyway, just some ideas. Hopefully I didn't trample too hard; feel free to disregard.
>>
File: 50firstdates8sa9.png (236 KB, 596x253) Image search: [Google]
50firstdates8sa9.png
236 KB, 596x253
>>47877235
This totally awesome new game that's completely missing from stores. Gonna make so much money with it! The classes are so cool. And the setting includes everything! Plus it totally fixes all problems because there are no hit points but wound points. The dice balance is so much better than anything available. And it is very realistic. Anyone still playing the old systems should be kicking themselves really hard right about now.
>>
>>47888080
I do like the idea of characters outside of combat having free action that can still affect combat.

An idea is when using agility to move, maybe give a penalty to dodging attacks? A quick character is fast and can dodge out of danger, but it still takes concentration to move and dodge at the same time. So they can outrun slower enemies, but are more at risk of eating an attack and stumbling.
>>
>>47877235

Still working on my boardgame, about a year and a half in the making now. Having to revise buildings and a couple of basic mechanics from some playtesting I've done. Should maybe start looking at getting a quote or something sometime soon and contacting artists for concept art.
>>
File: Just Draw 3.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Just Draw 3.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Made two one-sheeters in the past weeks, with my main system still dragging along. I still need to pretty up the one-sheeters, the ones right now are just black on white paper.

Going to send them separately, you can say something about them if you want.

Here's the first one I made, a little bit too complex for a one-sheeter, but good enough I guess.
>>
File: R3 Russian Roulette RPG.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
R3 Russian Roulette RPG.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47888544
Here's the simpler one, I like it better to be honest. I also like the feel of the game more, because Russian Roulette as a resolution system has natural tension.
>>
Yet another wording question. Knowing nothing else of the rules, does this sounds more or less clear?
Protect <> If no foe assaults this character during the opponent's assault phase prevent the first 2 points of damage which would be dealt by foes during that phase.
>>
Is there any value to making an RPG system d6 based? Or should I just go full retard and use polyhedrals since most gamers have them anyway?
>>
>>47892267
Dicepools tend to be good with d6 because everyone has so many. But you've got to watch out, because a d6 really limits how granular you can get.
>>
>>47892267

I'm thinking of a d12 core mechanic with d10, d8 etc for damage.

> d4 - dagger, sap, fist
> d6 - one-handed sword / axe
> d8 - two handed sword, pistol, shortbow
> d10 - rifle , shotgun, longbow

Average person would have 5 up, characters would have 8 to 12 hp, 10 by default. Very basic system. Thoughts?
>>
>>47892395
If I were you I'd do one of three things

1. put short bow at d6 and long bow at d8

2. Put both bows at d8 and give the longbow d8+1 and more range

3. Make the guns one die lower with a +2 (pistol is d6+2, long guns d8+2) for a higher average damage then bows
>>
Trying to make a Hunter x Hunter homebrew from scratch. So far taking inspiration from some simple d10s, but hoping to make it more complex as my vision goes along.

The biggest problems right now is making stats that don't overlap, such as Perception and Agility, where reflexes are both equally involved.

So far I'm thinking:
>Strength
>Durability (involves Stamina)
>Composure (mental endurance)
>Agility (involves Speed)
>Perception (taste, smell, hearing, sixth sense, involves Reflexes)
>Wits (strategy, deception)

See any discrepancies? Things I should add? Remove?
>>
File: Roadside Picnic.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Roadside Picnic.pdf
1 B, 486x500
More tables! If anyone wants to roll something up, or give ideas on how things can be shuffled around to make it smoother, then feel free!
>>
>>47892563

Good ideas. I'll probably do that to male them less swingy.
>>
>>47893753

so do these have relative values to Nen abilities? or is that a second six-slot stat list? Will there be crossover to explain how being very good at certain things will evoke Nen use relative to them?
>>
>>47892167
Yeah, that's pretty clear.
>>
Is anyone very familiar with diceless systems? I'm tempted to explore a diceless alternative to the system I have been using for my RPG, instead relying entirely on resource management (basically a complex economy of various types of fate points and resources, and variable stat values).
>>
>>47900123
Too much of a pain in the ass to remember and keep track of
>>
Okay, I feel like a fucking idiot right now. I'm writing up XP costs for my game and I can't figure out how to express it.

Stats range from 1 to 5. The XP cost to increase a stat is 5*(the number you will advance to). Therefore increasing a stat to 2 costs 10 XP, 3 costs 15, 4 costs 20 and 5 costs 25.

But how do I write that in a table without making a new row for every number?
>>
>>47877235
I'm mashing up Fate and Wushu for something super easy to play with my family. My sister in law is super competitive so I figure a co-op gaming experience would be better. I've bumped the D6 up to a D12 and made it so that every action is either an attack, adds to the chance to hit, or subtracts from the chance to hit. just like in wushu its role under to hit. Players get 2 actions per round and can make two different actions or, bump up the support or impede action to +/- 3. Skill equivalents come from your 3 schools of "kung-fu" and your history, hobby, and job. I'm trying to find time to play test it and see how it works out.

My brother and I gave it a quick go through and found that it really fosters role play because every action that you want to do needs to be justified by either the PC's backstory or one of 3 zany schools of combat.

it makes making npcs super easy as well, and settings can have the same treatment applied to them for hazards and such.

Im looking forward to seeing where this goes. Im thinking super spys vs. nazis.
>>
>>47896680
Yes, I'm hoping to have the four basic Nen tenets as a separate stat list, with more specific tenents (like In) maybe just called on?

As for the player stats, I'd like to make it translate to whatever Nen category a player would have, but I've been having trouble figuring out which stats would mean which category. Thoughts?
>>
File: Classic blunder.jpg (10 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
Classic blunder.jpg
10 KB, 234x216
I'm ripping off Nen from HxH, Monster Hunter enemies, and I plan on having plenty of dungeons filled with treasure.
I've never been a DM before this
>>
>>47881627
As a math degree-haver, can we talk about wheels just for the fuck of it?

More game design related: Can we talk about the importance of making your combinatorial design elements homeomorphically irreducible? I maintain that when you have options that are exactly the same, just laid out differently it comes off in the feel of the game even if someone isn't aware of it. Makes the game feel cheapened. I think player triangularity can fix these instances in a natural way—which is where players have an N-variable decision tree of zero-sum choices. Such as increasing equipment giving them more damage, but the added weight decreasing their speed. Triangularity almost always leads to combinations and degrees of "high risk, high reward; low risk, low reward".
>>
>>47892395
Step-die damage has several huge problems that one only needs to play D&D to understand. I highly suggest not doing this.
>>
>>47904583
I've considered making a game around that. Each time you "leveled-up" other players would choose to change a stat by +-x, and then you would be able to add the inverse to any other stat. I.e., if you had 4 Strength, 5 Constitution, and 6 Dexterity, another player might drop your Dex to 3, but increase your Str to 6. You would then choose either Str or Con to add +3, but would have to also choose either Con or Dex to add -2.

The way players would play could change drastically depending on what new stats they end up with, so being able to adapt as things change would be beneficial. My initial idea revolves around the GM taking control of one character while the players take control over environmental aspects (or at least characters with environmental and situational control). Something like a group of Fey playing tricks on a wanderer, or devils being the source of bad luck, without the target finding out. It's been on the back burner for awhile, but the concept is intriguing enough.
>>
>>47877235
>>47881627
You don't need to have a math degree to realize the image is bullshit.
It doesn't even feature a single formula, only meaningless piecharts, diagrams and pictures of houses and shit.
>>
>>47904583
>homeomorphically
I'd say working in homotopy equivalence is more reasonable - adding extra frills to a concept that don't go anywhere doesn't make it different, and homeomorphism anyways isn't quite natural on graphs.

Also is it called triangularity because of the 'rule of 3' choices being the critical number for the illusion of choice?
>>
>>47907968
No, the term was coined by a game design book which uses it for a 2-variable (+player) system, but extends to N variables. It's actually a terrible term since it makes a V instead of a triangle.
>>
>>47904690

What do you suggest instead ? And can you elaborate on these problems?
>>
>>47908564
>What do you suggest instead ?
Any other competent system? I don't know what you mean since I'm saying to not do it, wholesale. I'm not talking about improving upon it.

>And can you elaborate on these problems?
Each die has bizarre relationships with each other. This would take an entire article to explain if you don't even have a baseline understanding of its flaws. The gist is that smaller dice have "runs" of the same or similar values for longer and are thus more consistent while being less damage. Large dice are horribly inconsistent doucherags but technically do the most damage. At 1dX you're forcing players to choose between technically higher damage with swingy BS results and consistently bad results. Not to mention rolling 2dX means your minimum is higher (and so on) which makes even less sense. Honestly, take my word for it or at least read up on the subject.
>>
what do you guys use for creating character sheets? I've tried getting fancy with normal word doc formatting but its rather sloppy.
>>
>>47908622
The d12 has a less even spread for its damage than the d4 does (8.33% chance of each value compared to 25%), but the chances of rolling at least X are consistently higher for every value the d4 can output. It's a little weird, but the d12 definitely is an upgrade over the d4. Similar things can be said for d6 up to d10 as well.

Personally, though, I would just pick a single die type for damage and have it be differentiated by how many dice you roll. EG a small weapon like a dagger is one die, a medium weapon like a shortsword deals two dice of damage, and a large weapon like a claymore or a zweihander does three dice of damage.

>>47909588
I'm in the process of learning it, but if you use Latex you can create form fillable PDFs. Look for a book on Latex to get yourself started and then look for a form fill PDF tutorial. I've been told that Latex is pretty similar to HTML, so if you know that you should be able to pick up Latex pretty quickly. Here's the resource I'm using for my Latex shit. https://www.latex-tutorial.com/tutorials/
>>
>>47909588
I use Excel:
1) separate things (boxes/lines/images) into groups of items
2) arrange as desired
3) for better quality: copy-paste to irfan, rather than to export to pdf .

I must say - Excel is used this way only because I'm still in the process of arranging things. It's hardly perfect tool. Will probably try Power Point at some ... point.

>>47892267
> Is there any value to making an RPG system d6 based? Or should I just go full retard and use polyhedrals since most gamers have them anyway?
Well, if your target audience is new players, then you have a good reason to go d6. For example, I'm making purely d6 based system. No dicepools - players use two six-sided dice.

But if you are trying to make some sort of DnD derivate, then - yes. Your players will want to roll those fancy dice they already have. You'd better supply players with appropriate rules.
>>
>>47909660
>The d12 has a less even spread for its damage than the d4 does (8.33% chance of each value compared to 25%), but the chances of rolling at least X are consistently higher for every value the d4 can output. It's a little weird, but the d12 definitely is an upgrade over the d4. Similar things can be said for d6 up to d10 as well.
It's obvious that the d12 is an upgrade and I said as much. However, it makes the damage extremely swingy relative to itself and relative to smaller dice.
>>
>>47909903
Adding to this. Look, players would always rather have more smaller dice than less larger dice. Which do you want to roll:
3d4
2d6
1d12

It becomes obvious as soon as you evaluate that.
>>
>>47909938
> Look, players would always rather have more smaller dice than less larger dice.
Why?

> Which do you want to roll:
I'd prefer d20 over 4d4.
>>
What dice system would you use for a game that has no real skill cap?

I want a game that feels infinite, with the amount of actual growth you can make endless, but how exactly would I use dice if stats are climbing into the 100s?
>>
>>47910577
They make D10000s http://www.midlamminiatures.co.uk/specialdice/D10000DiceSet.html

but obviously just a use a D100 with modifiers, or just play a DBZ RPG
>>
>>47910265
So you're a useless contrarian idiot.
>>
>>47910265
>would rather roll 1-20 over 4-16.
Good job making a retarded comparison. 10.5 vs 10 and a shittier range.

It's d20 vs 5d4, retard.
>>
>>47910617
>>47910643
Way to be a dick for no reason.

>>47910265
I'd say for the most part, its about a bell curve over a straight incline, but at the same time, I've met plenty of players that just really like rolling lots of dice.
>>
>>47910617
>Everybody who disagrees with me is a useless contrarian idiot
You can do better than that anon.

Maybe he's a roleplayer and used to throwing d20s? Considering your target audience is always a good idea.

Generally speaking I'd say the best thing to use are d6 because everybody has them and they are easier to get than d4, d12 or d20.

From a mathematical pov it purely depends on what kind of system you want to design.
If you want an even distribution of probably outcomes you just throw a single die, wether it be a d4 or a d20. If you want to nudge the system to give more reliable results you throw multiples.

If you wrote the system with a certain scale in mind say, a range of 1-20 you might want to use a d20 or 5 d4.

The problem is the more different dice you need and the more specialized they are the more annoying it becomes for a player to keep track of his gaming materials.
Using d4s or d8s is great when you use their point as indicator for direction at the same time. If you were using d6s and would need a specialty dice to determine direction it might slow down your game.
>>
>>47910809
He didn't just disagree. He was objectively, mathematically, measurably wrong.
>>
>>47910809
>Make up useless situation outside the scope which has nothing to do with anything, which is also obvious as hell
>Not being contrarian
Either he's an idiot for not realizing 4d4 is not the low die representative of 1d20 or just wanted to derail the conversation by intentionally shitposting.
>>
>>47910604
Sorry, I'm entirely new to making a system, so excuse me if this sounds stupid

A d100 with modifiers would essentially be what DnD dice system is but with d100s, right?
>>
>>47910809
Best part, he didn't even disagree, he just asked for a reasoning to promote discussion. Anon's just being shit.
>>
>>47883141
I have like 150 original superhero designs from a previous game that I did but I don't know if that's too played out right now
Right now it's pretty much just MTG aesthetics with a different design philosophy and some different mechanics but I'm having trouble breaking away from the kind of sameness
I still think this idea is worth pursuing though because I think it plays different enough from other games to make it interesting, especially since it eschews some of the traditional MTG-like elements
>>
>>47910842
>objectively, mathematically, measurably wrong
because he wrote the wrong numbers?

The question was>>47910265
>players would always rather have more smaller dice than less larger dice.
And he said he'd prefer larger over smaller dice.
That is the takeaway from that post and not that you need 5 d4s instead of 4.

>>47910867
See the above.
You both got hung up on a technicality that was besides the point of 'many small vs one large die'.

So getting back to discussing that instead of calling people names would be nice.
>>
>>47910753
> I'd say for the most part, its about a bell curve over a straight incline, but at the same time, I've met plenty of players that just really like rolling lots of dice.
My point is - "players prefer to roll lots of dice" is hardly universal rule.

Personally, I like bell curve, but once number of dice goes over 3 - it goes into dicepool territory, which I'm not a fan of.

>>47910809
> If you wrote the system with a certain scale in mind say, a range of 1-20 you might want to use a d20 or 5 d4.
Well, for compatibility with d20 materials (i.e. DnD) you are better off with 4d4 (for a given amount of "better off" - even 3d6 will be very different experience).
>>
>>47910962
> You both got hung up on a technicality that was besides the point of 'many small vs one large die'.
Also, this.

I'd like to see the reasoning (if there is one).
>>
File: Math Section.png (67 KB, 698x717) Image search: [Google]
Math Section.png
67 KB, 698x717
>>47910872
You can do it that way, but most people just use it as a percentage chance

like a 25% chance is needing a 75-100 at strength 0 or something, and then you could just do every point of strength is +1 to the roll, so at 25 you'd only need to roll a 50

but that's just off the top of my head and very basic, if you just want bigger numbers just make the ratio +1 for every 5 points

or use D1000s for even more granularity

or make power level tiers like from D10 to DXXXXXX every tier gets to roll a larger and larger die or something
Also you have to be really good at math to make a system, it's basically all just percentages to balance things

Except from my system, I've switched to D100 from 4D6, multiple dice are too much of a pain to balance for, come to think of it I haven't even bother to work on my newer version in months, fuck currency, such a pain, wealth systems are also a pain
>>
>>47882611
To me it seems like;
True Magic
>Conjuring beings from other dimensions.
>Cosmology, magic based off the stars
>Transmutation, changing the nature of a thing, tends not to work on people
>Physics, you can change the laws of the universe in minor ways, enabling flight, crushing people and things into tiny spaces etc.

MAN MAGIC
I personally wouldn't try to bind this entirely to scholarly professions, and have one of the schools be something akin to ancestral communion. With that in mind,
>Shamanism, communicate with dead people, can use to gain insight into things and call for their blessings. Perhaps not formally taught?
>Illusion, you can alter the perceptions of men (and other races if they're a thing), but this doesn't work on animals, they see through your tricks
The other two I'm not sure on. Depends entirely upon your setting, if it's some sort of renaissance you can do that and have industrial magic for example.

Elemental Magic you seem to have covered and I like the simple route.

Nature Magic
I'd try to embody all aspects of nature in it, so you have:
>Animal communion, based on interacting with animal and an aside in perhaps druid shape shifting stuff
>Law of the wild, while animal communion lets you talk with animals and beseech them for powers, Law of the Wild is survival of the fittest. You're a shape-shifting monster, strength and adaptability are on your side here. The yin to the yang etc.
>Life, healer spec for curing ailments and mending flesh
>Death, the other half of nature. Not all death is to be feared and a predator survives by the death of others. While not being death-beams and necromancer plagues, this school of magic is about making death as painless and natural as can be, with higher level spells able to stop a heart.

Just my two pence.
>>
>>47910962
It's still incorrect to say you'd rather roll a 1-20 than 4-20 (4d5). I don't see what you're trying to weasel out of here. Not only are the minimums and Gauss higher, the average is higher at 12.5. What are you trying to prove?
>>
>>47911111
>50% miss rate
Ew. What the fuck
>>
>>47911318
that's where you always start? You find your game balance and move on from there

then you can add in things like skill training, or more accurate weapons, spells that have 100% chance to hit, area weapons

and in addition in my system at least, PCs and Elite NPCs get bonuses to defense and their hit rolls

against normaly NPCs it's more like 70% chance to hit, 30% chance to be hit because they'll usually end up outnumbered

again that's only from the base of things, although in my system plate armor lets you get hit easier, but gives you damage block
>>
>>47911370
>that's where you always start?
Saying this like a question tells me you have no confidence in the statement. There's no reason you have to start at 50% accuracy. That's a bizarre and almost certainly wrong assertion.
>>
>>47911608
You can start anywhere, but it makes the most sense to start your math at a 50% chance to hit, and just adjust everything from there

look at 4e, D20 for attacks, base AC is 10

why? because 50% chance to hit
>>
>>47900853
Bumping this, still stumped. Really don't want to include algebra in an XP costs table.
>>
>>47911806
Do you mean that going from 1 to 5 costs 25, or costs 10+15+20+25?

If it's the first, i don't see any algebra involved.

If it's the second (and i assume it is), you can either clarify that to get to a value you have to buy all the intermediate ones, or write the formula for it. I don't see another way other than manually listing the costs.
>>
>>47911225
>>47888190
thanks, anons
I'll write down these ideas for consideration, but frankly I think I might end up reverting to an earlier revision without quite so much complexity of forethought about what I'm trying to end up with

I started with just duets of things like fire+frost as "elements of power", light+sound to make 'illusion', maybe life+death as "necromancy"

might throw in "conjuration+transmutation" off some of your recommendations, I really want to include "divination" of some kind but I don't know how to either divide it or what to pair it with, maybe "knowledge+communion"?

evocation's another really good idea that I like a lot, maybe pair it with animation? but to some end I feel that trespasses into the realm of 'necromancy' but maybe not
>>
>>47912014
I ended up listing it as 5x in the table and adding the following paragraph underneath:

>To increase a stat or gain or upgrade a skill, the XP cost is always equal to fives times (“5x”) the value of your purchase; thus increasing a skill from 2 to 3 cost 15 XP, while purchasing a new skill costs 5 XP.
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.