[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Malifaux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8
File: M2E[1].jpg (317 KB, 500x646) Image search: [Google]
M2E[1].jpg
317 KB, 500x646
Thoughts on Malifaux?
>>
>>47874596
S'good.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (2 MB, 2550x3300) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
2 MB, 2550x3300
not as many thoughts on the skirmish game as the RPG

I have yet to really delve into the system but the thought of using cards over dice intrigues me...
>>
File: mastersxfactions.jpg (648 KB, 1998x1590) Image search: [Google]
mastersxfactions.jpg
648 KB, 1998x1590
>>47874596
Fun. Great plastic miniatures. Using cards in place of dice is nice and works pretty well with cheating fate and all that stuff.
>>
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (1 MB, 1500x1958) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
1 MB, 1500x1958
>>
>>47877511
One more and I guess I'll have to update my diagram: >>47876207
>>
>>47877511
>Neverborn gets an evil fairy
>Outcasts get the closest to an actual gunslinger master in the game
>Ten Thunders gets a spooky Oni
>Archanists get a magic Sikh
>Resurrectionist get a necromancer nun
>The Guild gets a god damn report.
As a Guild player, the fact our new master looks like someone out of god damn Newsies does not please me.
>>
>>47874596
I've been thinking of getting into it, are there any good tutorials online I can look at?

Found battle reports, but it might as well be greek.
>>
>>47877706
For me every reporter model I've seen makes it very hard not to go Guild. I'd gladly swap for the magic Sikh.
>>
>>47877706
>only gunslinger
>WhatisPerdita
>>
>>47877895
How is Perdita an Outcast?
>>
>>47878000
"Closest to an actual gunslinger in the game"
>>
>>47877706
As a TT player who actually can't even play(I hate where I live, I don't know of any places that do) I'd love to run the newsie master. Assuming I was guild, of course.
>>
>>47878088
Same. Guild actually has a pretty diverse group of masters. It would have been pretty easy to shit out more angry law men. An intrepid reporter is a fairly fresh idea.
>>
I've played maybe twice but I'll get around to playing as soon as I finish painting and collecting what I need to play my crews properly. Ramos needs more spiders and enforcer. McCabe needs cards, guild hounds, luna and that other guy. Leviticus needs more waifs, ashes/dust and cards.

Or maybe I should stop overthinking it and just play with what I have.
>>
>>47877895
Mexican
>>
>>47874596
It's good shit. I picked up the game myself because I love the entire wacky fantasy aesthetic, love how it isn't too competitive thanks to a lack of listbuilding, love how the entire line is hard plastic, and can't get enough of just playing through chill scenarios with dudes in the store. Even though it is actually kind of popular no one really talks about it here which is a shame.

>>47877511
Isn't Molly supposed to be the game's journalist? Looking forward to seeing how she turns out.
>>
>>47878732
>Even though it is actually kind of popular no one really talks about it here which is a shame.
That is exactly because you can't list build.
>>
What crews does everyone have?

Rasputina box
Bayou Boss box + Burt + Gracie
Lilith box + Waldgeists
>>
>>47878631
>damned vaqueras crossing the Breach and stealing jobs from hard working white cowboys.
>Better build a wall.
>>
>>47876207
Hoffman master race reporting in
>>
>>47877764

If you are ok for podcasts Schemes and Stones does some great master spotlights.
>>
>>47874596
Looks p cool, I have nothing against the trailertrashy juggalo aesthetic, but I'm not about to buy into another minis game.
>>
>>47876066
Last time I heard the RPG has a lot of problems

They support it well at least, I picked up the booklet during free RPG day
>>
>>47878818
I'm curious how many people stick with a faction as opposed to players who just collect the Masters/crews who interest them.

>>47878875
>juggalo
>wat
>>
>>47878934
To be fair there is a single evil clown, and he was part of a limited edition set.

Fedora tipping aesthetic is more like it thanks to the characters wearing top hats, dudes like Lucius, and all the extra belts on the outcasts (Not that there is anything wrong with that of course)
>>
>>47878934
For me it went pretty well

>friend heavy into tabletop
>offers me Sonnia and Justice metal box on clearance
>years later go visit him
>he gives me most of McCabe box
>go pick up Ramos and Leviticus on clearance at lgs

and i believe I bought or was given the lucius box while i was there.
>>
>>47878818
I have Ramos' and Ironsides' crew boxes, plus a Mechanical Rider and some Metal Gamins.
>>
>>47878818

Jacob Lynch's crew box, plus Tannen, Graves, a box of Stitched Togethers, a Miss Anne Thrope, and a box of beckoners. Just missing some depleted to round out his thematic crew; then I'm not sure what TT master I want to pick up next.
>>
File: OtherSideBattle.jpg (648 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
OtherSideBattle.jpg
648 KB, 1000x600
Thoughts on The Other Side? I'm wondering if this is just Wyrd's take on Warmachine or something else entirely.
>>
>>47879822
Have they released any new info about it, yet?
>>
>>47881338
Not as far as I can tell
Having larger squad based battles sounds neat, though they might want to lower prices to something like DUST's level in order to make it practical.
>>
>>47878914
Problems like what?
>>
File: gremlin release.jpg (95 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
gremlin release.jpg
95 KB, 540x960
>>47877511
Wait am I reading that right, she can cheat damage done to her? Woah.

Add
>gremlins get a proper steampunk-y jetpack guy with a ZZzzap gun
>>
>>47874596

Wouldn't Malifaux mean "bad and fake?"
>>
>>47882686
Sounds about right for the name of the world it's set in.
>>
>>47882539
Yeah, and she can cheat even on negative flips. Pretty nice defensive tech. I do find it weird she has a tome on her defense, but no defense triggers.

>>47882686
Its set in an alternate reality full of demons and cousin-fucking gremlins, I'd say Badfake is a good name for it.
>>
File: WYR20038.jpg (480 KB, 1446x1868) Image search: [Google]
WYR20038.jpg
480 KB, 1446x1868
>>
scored a shenlong crew with the limited edition model at my LGS today, anyone know what it is? haven't gotten around to busting it open and won't for the next few days
>>47885055
thought that said nipples of fate for a minute
>>
>>47887525
Shenlong, Sensei Yu, 2x Peasants, 3x High River Monks
>>
>>47887636
i meant the LE model inside, doesnt say what it is
>>
>>47887643
Iirc I got a Katanaka Sniper
>>
>>47887651
>>47887643
Yeah, according to the Wyrd website it's a Katanaka Sniper
http://www.wyrd-games.net/where-to-buy/
>>
>>47876207
Lucius, Perditta, Justice, McMourning, Seamus, Molly, Tara, all outcast excepr Misaki, Ramos, Colette and Mei Feng, Lynch and Collodi, and lastly Somer
>>
>>47878914
>>47882066

I've been in a few games with the RPG.

It's got a lot less problems than most first run RPGs. The main ones I'd say:

Speed has a bit too much on it with Defense, Movement AND Martial arts. Few non-combat skills but that's not a problem with how it covers multiple bases in combat.
Might has a bit too little on it as it's got basically no out of combat skills and all it's combat stuff covers the same area 'Attacking'.

Stats on the low end are a bit too low/you get a few too few points. Due to the way the system works, a character with a - in a skill will need to work like crazy to be even 'Mediocre' at it. I think it would have been better to have Chargen stats scale from -1 to +3 rather than -3 to +3. Would make it less 'You really, really want to push one stat to +3 and focus on all that stat's stuff'.

Tied a bit into the second part here it's a bit too easy to powergame your bonus up silly high. When a skilled master is sitting at 6-9, a PC can quite easily hit 10 with free positive flips. Stat ups should have likely have kept to the Chargen limits on stats. So a character can gain stats to improve weaknesses but not to push yourself to +10 on a skill. They should likely tone down the access to positive flips and hand out more triggers.

Mind you: All of these are very minor and the third complaint was HEAVILY improved in later books. Where they gave a lot more shiny triggers as options. You can really tell the devs are paying attention to the issues of previous books and improving them, with new classes a lot more tight and fun rather than 'Take this thing you might have already gotten OR this thing you might not want'.

Formatting also vastly improved between the core book and the later ones. I'd honestly pay real money for a redone core book with what they've learned.
>>
>>47878818
Yan Lo Crew Box + Izamu, Toshiro, Komainu and Punk Zombies.

Built everything yesterday, having trouble deciding on paint scheme. Probably blues which I like and have the colors I want.
>>
>>47887705
with that list of toys, grab yourself a Yin as well, it'll fill in the theme really well, and Yin is amazing
>>
>>47887914
I'm probably going to pick up most of the Japanese themed things since they fit with my theme. Yin however is great from what I've read and something I'll get aswell.

Next purchase for me just looking at the models is probably Tengu, Ten Thunder Brothers, Samurai and the Lone Swordsman.

What are good ranged options for TT? In my current collection I've got fuck all for ranged. Granted Yan Lo will jump and grab something for Izamu and the Punk Zombies to devour but still!
>>
>>47874596
How difficult actually is shenlong to use? I've been reading over his tactica on pull my finger and it seems like it requires a lot of preplanning and foresight to use effectively. A friend and I are getting into the game and that's the starter he's being drawn too, just want to make sure he won't get overwhelmed.
>>
>>47888435
Confusing as fuck to begin with
Somewhat confusing once you play a dozen or so games.
>>
>>47888470
Yeah I think it's going to be pretty rough then, hopefully the henchman guy/whoever turns up (apparently they can be quite flaky) that'll talk us through the game has some experience with them.
>>
>>47888219
Samurai and katanaka snipers should be plenty for ranged.
>>
>>47889203
Ace! I love the Japanese themed minis so both of them are taken! The Samurai seem cool as hell with their specific upgrades!
>>
>>47888555

Shenlong is confusing just for the sheer number of conditions his crew ends up applying to things, plus all the pushes and movement shenanigans he wants to use.

Tbh I found it much easier to start out learning without Masters, maybe just stick to Henchmen and below for the first few games, while you work out the basics of the rules and tactics.
Masters add a whole new level of complexity.
>>
I play outcasts and ressurectionists. I have:
Nicodem
McMourning
Tara
Leveticus
Hamelin
The game is fantastic and you can find the core rules free through Wyrd's website. My wife and I bought into the game through the two player starter which comes in at 60 bucks and has everything in it but terrain. And every model in the box can be used for any faction. Between that and any starting crew box, you have all points you'd need to play a 50 ss game which is one of the recommended point levels for the game (35 or 50).
>>
>>47890389

Masters play such a huge role in the that leaving them out is only going to lead to more confusion later down the road.
>>
>>47877511

Run From the Truth looks annoying as shit, especially since it doesn't specify friendly models.
>>
>>47887700
What?
>>
Anyone who wants to start should hopefully be able to find a group playing and watch a few games in action. It's got a much higher learning curve but more fair than 40k.
>>
>>47887703
>Tied a bit into the second part here it's a bit too easy to powergame your bonus up silly high. When a skilled master is sitting at 6-9, a PC can quite easily hit 10 with free positive flips. Stat ups should have likely have kept to the Chargen limits on stats. So a character can gain stats to improve weaknesses but not to push yourself to +10 on a skill. They should likely tone down the access to positive flips and hand out more triggers.

This is extremely true; I had a Dabbler in a game who was flipping at +10 to cast sorcery spells, and would, due to how I had her set up, flip five cards to cast if she focused then cast; or three cards twice if she tried to cast in a row. Shit was silly.
>>
File: reporters.jpg (3 MB, 1200x5370) Image search: [Google]
reporters.jpg
3 MB, 1200x5370
>>
How I defeat Titania with Colette?
>>
>>47890389
It's cool I've talked it over with him and he gets that. The game to me looks way more interested with masters as well, they may add way more rules to the game but it's also where most of the action seems to be.

Plus I'm building a som'er crew and only really understand how his crew works with him.
>>
>>47895457
Do we even know what's in her box?
>>
>>47897687
Fairies
>>
>>47895310

Daaamn, I really need to convince my friends to buy those and let me paint them.
>>
Honestly, if you run into a store that has some models in it, the game is pretty cheap to get into. Even if you don't completely jump into it, just playing a game of it every once in a while is a breath of fresh air because it's so different from the other two big games.
>>
>>47895310

Well I know what I'm getting at Gencon
>>
>>47883085
It's why it's so hard to judge from just the front. Without the back, their upgrades, and their thematic crew who really knows how they work.
>>47892140
I think Henchman Hardcore games are great to get people interested. If they enjoy that, they can look at a full size game.
>>47906162
I don't think there's any knowledge that they'll be out then.
>>
>>47907168
>I don't think there's any knowledge that they'll be out then
There is a decent chance there will be at least some of the new starters. At current pace they'll be through book three. Models by October and gencon prerealses usually stretch into November.
>>
>>47874596
How long does it take models that are ready to go into full scale sale? I've seen that people already have the lucky emissary model thanks to some convention or whatever.
>>
any good advice on a good outcast build ? my friend plays ten thunders and i dont like gremlins.
>>
>>47912478
Von Schill and the Viktorias are pretty solid Masters to start with. I know the Viktorias are monsters in close range, and Von Schill's crew is pretty good all around.
>>
I have yan lo crew, got all the ancestors plus samurai and fuhatsu
wanted to take another crew set now to make some good combos. is lucas mccabe a good solution?
>>
I have the two player starter set coming in the mail, and I want to build a Lucius crew focused on Neverborn. Would having some guild austringers and then some young nephilim or beckoners do the trick for a 50ss crew?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.