[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spending money on non-crunch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: Roleplay.jpg (101 KB, 1216x449) Image search: [Google]
Roleplay.jpg
101 KB, 1216x449
In any game you play, not just D&D, do you or other players spend money on stuff that isn't directly adventurer gear? What's your thought on "roleplay" spending?
>>
>>47867617
>money given to the local church
>money given to the inn for guaranteed rooms and food for the next week
>money given to a shady merchant to keep an eye out on the local nobleman
>money spent on books for the character's personal research and interests

All recent money spent in my campaigns, all good uses of money. "Roleplay" spending is important, in general.
>>
>>47867617
It's a good idea for roleplaying since it actually hampers your character.
>>
I see nothing wrong with spend money on non essentials. It makes a better character.

Op's pic shows an ass hat complaining about not spending money on things others were. That's not cool.
>>
I played a farmer-turned-adventurer who bought 12 heads of cattle, 6 pigs, a bunch of chickens and a breeding pair of rabbits and guard dogs in order to establish a new farm after the party chose a village to settle down in.
>>
I once played in a game with a new player; I was a halfling fighter, he was a human ranger. I'd bandaged him when he was reduced to negatives during the first session, which he (the player) credited as "saving his character's life."

So, when we got back to town and got our reward, he went out and spent 50 gold commissioning a new short sword for me. It was just a regular short sword, mechanically, but it was inlaid with gems, had gold filigree on the handle, the works. When it was finished, he gift-wrapped it and gave it to me as a present.

It was the best thing any character I've ever played ever received, and I still think fondly about that little moment of role-playing.
>>
I usually buy roleplay-themed gear for my characters, especially if it supports one of their traits (like spending money on superficial jewelry if the character is supposed to be a noble). If I'm the GM, I'll usually grant some sort of appropriate skill bonus if their spending habits relate to something they're trying to accomplish. Self-imposed gold sinks are good for campaigns, especially if GMs are running from a published module where the players are often loaded with rewards every few hours.

From personal experiences with certain GMs, buying fancy weapons and armor is usually just as much of a waste of gold as spending it for roleplay purposes. Whether it's one of those aforementioned modules or just the GM's own written adventures, many campaigns seem to fall into the vidya game habit of "quest rewards quickly replace vendor gear". There's no point in wasting money on a +1 longsword when you're inevitably going to get a "+3 Bigbadbane Greatsword of Plot Importance" somewhere down the road.
>>
There's not much else to spend treasure on in the kind of OSR games I play. Aside from better weapons and armor, there's not many things that will offer a broad mechanical bonus.

If you want a mighty sword of legend, you'll probably have to finance an expensive expedition to go get it. Sleeping on a mat in a flophouse and wearing the same clothing you took into the dungeon last week will ensure that you're treated like a filthy vagabond.

I played one campaign of D&D3.5 where I opened the pandora's box of having magic items for sale in major cities... never again.
>>
>>47867617
I buy a ton of weird kickbacks, but it's all useful stuff.

For example, in Shadowrun one time we wanted to back up a very large amount of corporate data, and the GM said:
>"it s too much to fit on a data chip."
>A data chip in Shadowrun is basically a micro SD card, that holds a duck ton of data. Like dozens of terabytes.
I respond with:
>"okay, when it's full I put in another data chip and keep going."
>"It won't fit on two data chips either".
>"Okay, I have 50. Hour much of the data can I fit?"
>"You have 50!? Let me see your sheet... okay. you can copy about half the data".
And then the plot focused very largely outrunning corporate assassins and trying to get the data decrypted and expose/thwart their evil genocidal plans.

It was my favorite campaign in Shadowrun to date. And that's not where the plot was going at all until we suddenly had a ton of information and the GM has to figure out what it was going to be.
>>
In one campaign, I had a character that got bored easily and tended to buy entertainment items and nice looking clothes. Stuff like dartboards, small puzzles, and a butterfly net. At one point I was going to buy a water clock, but was talked out of it by another PC in a nice roleplaying moment. Still bought the six-second hourglass, though, and flipped it constantly.

The campaign didn't really have magic item shops, so we found most of our magical gear anyway.
>>
I had once played a character who gave away all the gold he was carrying (about 20,000 at the time) to a random villager who had found one of party members after a recent battle and patched his unconscious ass up enough to keep him from dying.
>>
>>47867617
Hell yes. Money used properly is just as powerful as prestidigitation. PCs at mid-level tend to carry more money than most towns are worth, they are a walking economic power hosue. Need an in for a building, knock knock have some money. Want to make a good impression on an NPC, boom gifts. That city that is wary about you, charitable donation for a new building. You just burned down an inn? Fuck it, buy them a new one and show them how to file for an adventurer insurance claim. Want a distraction team while you storm the castle? Then go hire some B-list noisy adventures to do so. The possibilities are nearly endless which is why money in large amounts is considered a super power.
>>
File: reparations.jpg (68 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
reparations.jpg
68 KB, 312x445
>>47868076
>You just burned down an inn? Fuck it, buy them a new one
>>
>>47867895
Honestly, pretty silly of the GM. Big chunks of corporate data is NEVER important, that's just raw data on marketing or research that you can sell for paydata.

I mean, what data would be so important that it fits in that many disks? An AI's brain case or something?

At least you enjoyed the derailment.
>>
>>47868603
>evil genocidal plans
its shadowrun, I buy it
>>
>>47868603
Secret knowledge that the Corp was secretly in cahoots with the elven supremecist faction in Seattle.

The elven supremecists (whose faction name I forget) had an engineered a contagious biological weapon to kill all non elves exposed.

The Corp (under their control) was going to sell regular treatments to nonelves, for PR manipulation and the like.

Basically the premise of the 2014 tmnt, but with some twists, and elven racism.

Part of the fun was our party was super racist (but in that passive we are better than them because they're orcs and orcs are dumb way, not in the racial violence way) and the group was composed of elves, human elfposers who got plastic surgery to pass for elves, an orc who took the pass-for-human trait that hated orcs, and a troll who somehow got stuck with us and was often horrified by the things coming out of our mouths.

We all even kindof liked the elf supremacists until we found out they were going to kill a while mess of people.

Fun campaign.

I bought all sorts of weird but potentially useful nicknacks, and looked for situations to use them in our plans.
>>
>>47867617

If the DM is giving you enough gold to spend on non-crunch, he's giving you too much gold.
>>
File: 1284156180944.jpg (44 KB, 640x468) Image search: [Google]
1284156180944.jpg
44 KB, 640x468
>>47867617
Well someone has to transport all those clocks.
>>
Every game I am in, I commission statues of the party.
>>
>>47868769
That kind of paydata is also not gonna be the sort of data that takes up entire petabytes of storage.
>>
File: 0euroa.jpg (23 KB, 460x323) Image search: [Google]
0euroa.jpg
23 KB, 460x323
>>47867617
Last session I gave all my money to the local church. After taking it over.
>>
File: 1464620658876.png (350 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1464620658876.png
350 KB, 800x600
>>47867720
>breeding rabbits
>>
>>47869127
There are other games out there besides dnd and dungeon world.
>>
>>47869251
True enough.

There was also a sapient AI in there, and loads of worthless data to sort through, but the campaign died before we got to finish that plot thread.
>>
>>47869264

I'm just being flip, but for the record, I don't see how to give a meaningful answer that covers all systems, campaigns, and group preferences in existence at once.
>>
>>47867617
First off, D&D is shit.

Second, yes, all the time. As a player I especially like to spend money on furniture, property, and masonry. I like getting into imaginary interior decoration and building plans and that sort of thing. At the smaller level, I like to give my characters luxuries, like fancy chocolates, perfumes, books, pipes, shoes, and accessories like pocket watches and handkerchiefs.

As GM I incentivize my players to do this sort of thing. Many of them like investing in businesses and trades, especially illegal drugs. One guy really likes making cults, and goes in depth about the kinds of incense and braziers he buys.

Out of all the games I've played, and I've played a lot, I think WoD is the best at encouraging this kind of behavior, and in many cases it gives this sort of thing a tangible benefit too.
>>
>>47867617
I absolutely refuse to power game at all. I just decide who my character is and assign stats based on that. Anyway my recent bard all I have bought is an incredibly nice wagon with tons of hidden troves traps games and magic. Probably about 10k in this carriage already.

>mfw the half orc wants to ride inside
Get out I'm taking a bath in my carriage's porcelain bathtub

>getting the wizard to help me craft spinning rims

>the cleric who rides a bear thought I wouldn't get two trained bears to pull my carriage
>>
>>47869713
>carriage's porcelain bathtub
Now I'm imagining some clown car shit, with a wizard enchanting it with a permanent Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.

And I'm jealous as fuck.
>>
>>47867617
It's essential!!
>>
File: clambassadors.jpg (40 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
clambassadors.jpg
40 KB, 312x445
>>47868511
>>
>>47867617
In a darksun game i spent around 500 ceramic coins in a carriage, hiring a commoner to drive it, and an ashworm (basically a horse sized desert worm) to draw it. GM threw a massive fit on it for some reason, and was visibly getting frustrated whenever i mentioned my character doing something with it.
>>
>>47867617
I've had a player spend quite a bit of gold on coffee.
>>
>>47867617
As a player (PF), I'm torn, I want to spend money on cool shit that makes sense IC, but I understand enough about the system to know things I just need to get all the mechanic bonuses needed to survive (especially as we're smaller group). It's why I prefer 5e, you aren't screwed because you spent all your money on hookers and booze.

As GM, I've used innate item bonuses (or w/e is it called) from Unchained for PF game, so players don't have to spend money on +x crap. Then 5e came out and I never looked back.
>>
I once played a hipster who bought a kg of suspicious meat, and spent the rest of the day encouraging the other party members to try it for dinner with him.

Well, I didn't buy it myself. I was broke for spending all my starting gold on soap and sheets and nice silverware. The party face bought it for me.
>>
>>47868076
So your PCs are like Young Money rappers with spell slots.

Not in a bad way. I'm just saying you're describing a half-decent money-cash-hos anthem.
>>
>>47867617
Depending on how the system works I'll give my players a "local" currency to spend on RP stuff.
>>
>>47867617

I like spending in game currency on booze or gambling while interrogating the tavern populace.
>>
>>47867617
In a Cyberpunk game my lady, when not hunting down cyberised criminals, she would like to kick and relax.

She's gone on day cruises, spas, bar-hopping all night with her friends, joy flights, water parks, dragged her boyfriend to Karaoke, bars, restaurants and love hotels.
She watches movies, plays MMOs, donates at church and has quite an appetite.

Needless to say, she's often broke and if it weren't for her apartment, basic food and hygiene products and car being a perk of her job, she'd be living in a very precarious situation, probably sleeping on her friend's couch.
>>
I like how Iron Heroes basically encourages to spend your wealth on wenches and ale, since with all magic items done away with, you're basically at your top form once you have a masterwork weapon and armor. So after that, you basically have to get creative with what you spend it on. For me, I almost always have my IH characters buy a stone house in the closest version of a pleasure district the setting has, and spend future money on expanding it and filling it with a personal harem that also expands with my wealth.
>>
>>47874350

>Cyberpunk "Slice of Life"

I like it.
>>
>>47874576
It's easy to tell when we don't feel up to the usual investigating, hacking, spying and gun fights, it's when our characters have a day off.
>>
Money is an easy and convenient way to solve problems. The DM wants to present us with problems that are difficult to solve. Therefore, I spend all my money as soon as I get it or convert it into gems or magic items before he sends a cutpurse with an invisibility potion to rob me blind. Technically a cutpurse could still steal those things, but I've found that the DM suddenly loses interest. thug lief
>>
The warlock of my 5e party managed to stack up some bank from selling things. (That I thought he was going to spend or split). Instead he dropped the 3k gold into the hands of one of the NPC's in town to help the townsfolk and then run for mayor.
>>
My players have started to realize that becoming regular patrons of various businesses ingratiates them, and bartenders/innkeepers/etc. are full of interesting information that people let slip around the help.
>>
File: Money money money.jpg (29 KB, 468x312) Image search: [Google]
Money money money.jpg
29 KB, 468x312
Normally everyone in the group spends at least a little of their cash on non-essentials and fun things.
Our DM will even sometimes find a way to incorporate their purchases.
That little clockwork curio happens to have an unknown makers-mark that eventually led to finding the fate of a great clockwork artist and his extensive vault of unsold robots.
Those runic stones the Elf bought because they reminded her of home were actually pilfered from an ancient, forgotten temple to the Elf god of language. Returning them not only was the morally right thing, but finding the temple again led to its refurbishment.
Things like that.

However, in our latest campaign. We are stuck between xenophobic tribes, most creatures want us for food, almost all gear we pilfer from the dead goes straight into maintaining our own or improving what we use and nearly every trader we come across or rare xenophobic tribe that will trade tends to only sell basic supplies and the occasional rare piece that is a straight up upgrade.
We a sitting on practically a goldmine at this point that when word of our wealth spread by accident, it's brought every bandit around which has, in-turn, just made us richer but by degrees.
We are thinking about using all of our cash to start our own town at this point, if we can find some people that don't want to kill us first.
>>
>>47867617
Yes, kind of. Aside from restoring a pilfered vibro knife, buying an Imperial Army surplus enviro-suit, and getting a stock light blaster pistol I've spent more than 90% of my credits buying things like an encrypted data slate, bribing administrators for access to data archives, restoring artifacts, and now I am working towards setting up a pirated holo network to disseminate my characters' illegal research.

But all of my "roleplay spending" really ends up going towards gearing the other party members in one way or another. By finding out about holocrons, kyber crystal properties, and force techniques for the sake of saving history from the empire I am allowing the rest of my group that treat Intellect as a dumpstat access to gear and powers they'd be unable to get otherwise.

The jedi-boos spend money on their own gear (and sometimes the ship), our pilot spends her money on the party vehicle.
>>
>>47869771
I'm not who you responded to, but I did have a Wizard character who researched and built a really nice carriage for the Merchant's Guild.

Research into it ended up costing around 100k gold, while the actual building of it cost around 50k a piece.

It could fly, twice a day. Drive it self. It had air conditioning. Two bags of holding. A secret portable hole under the floorboards. And it had Immovable Rods embedded in the frame that could be activated by a lever in the cabin.

Basically, fly up into the air at night, pull the lever, climb down into the portable hole and spend your night in a comfy 10 foot room.

Also according to the strength stats, it could actually pull three fully loaded wagons behind it.
>>
In my shadowrun game we spent our money on silly things all the time. I think we pretty much only bought unessecary things to be honest.

Few examples are jukebox, anti-gravity alcohol shelf, a "vault door" for our apartment building, a yet to be used CSI lab, and a few other things.
>>
I once had a PF rogue who was a painter. I was planning on spending time and money on making paintings and selling them (I even made a mechanic where if I failed a will save, I became Inspired and would have to paint, no matter how urgent the current situation. Created some great situations, like stopping combat with "Stand still! I'm trying to paint your death!").
Then my prequel adventure (because I had the first character done) got me a lot of money from a sale (and I got to kill a painting forger!).
Then I made a 50gp investment (1/2 interest went to the investment, the rest into a bank account) in the Thieves Guild - and the group got flung 300 years into the future. 14 BILLION gp later... (the DM was an accountant. He did the math. Twice) All I really could spend money on was roleplay items (like starting an orphanage and adventurer's academy, with trust fund for budget. Only cost less than a million), seeing as my bank account was the budget of multiple small nations (I only had 10-15 million GP available without causing a few duchies to go into economic collapse...), and we had to adventure to find people who could make the magic items we wanted... (except for the wizard that we tracked down to become the magic teacher at the academy).
>>
eh, somewhat. got a few times i can think of off the top of my head...

once had to stay at a brothel since the town's inn was under repairs or something. allthewhores.jpg

then later on i found out that the owner was from my character's home country, and her mom was still there in the middle of war-time, so i gave her enough to get her to the brothel so she'd be safe. gave my character a pep-talk later that did some good shit.

also had a wedding in game last week that included a whole town and then some, and since it was a rather large capital city, the catering and other things got a bit pricy so that was a few grand down the drain.

a few donations to NPC's here and there, stole a 5 foot diamond from a puzzle room in a dungeon and gave it to my guy's silver dragon mom to get back on her good side, and spent a bit of money to get supplies for the character's (at the time, now waifu) girlfriend while she was in hiding. little things like that.

don't regret spending any of it, the fluff helped me get into the spirit of the character, i'd say it was gold well spent.

also had a skeleton warblade that gave his end game money to his descendants so they'd be able to live comfortably, even though they thought he was just some random undead using great grandpa's name and ran him out of town once before.
>>
>>47867617
I've burnt atleast twenty profit factor on frivolous bullshit in my RT game.

My void mistress fucking adores her gyrinx kitten though and the logs and diaries that were used to basically chase down an old lost archeology team and steal their team leads archeotech brain bits was worth it. The rest was mostly spent on nice clothes and fancy liquor.
>>
File: Nigga_you_drank_what.jpg (47 KB, 600x463) Image search: [Google]
Nigga_you_drank_what.jpg
47 KB, 600x463
Really any spare funds that my D&D/Pathfinder characters don't spend on crunch will go towards getting drunk. Especially if I am playing a dwarf or a warrior-type class. Not to say that is the ONLY way they will spend money for the purpose of role-playing, but it is definitely the most prevalent.
>>
>>47870612

Are you me? Because I don't think you're me but that sounds exactly like me.
>>
>>47867617
I've always wanted to try buying real estate in game, but the DM never wants to try it.
>>
>>47867617
I hand out XP for money that's spent without mechanical benefit for the character during long downtime.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.