[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My group is insisting on playing D&D 3.5, and I'd like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: 51XEWKVBMPL.jpg (38 KB, 475x268) Image search: [Google]
51XEWKVBMPL.jpg
38 KB, 475x268
My group is insisting on playing D&D 3.5, and I'd like to show them the error of their ways. What's the best build I can make to fuck up the setting and kill the other PCs. There's a Monk, a Ranger, and a Fighter. I've stalled on making a character so far so I can gather some advice.
>>
My advice: quit being That Guy. If you don't like how they play, leave the group. You aren't going to convince anyone with your crap, and the only result of your effort will be you getting kicked out, so you might as well skip the middle step and get the fuck out yourself.

If you want someone to play a game you prefer, run it yourself.
>>
Start out with not shitting up /tg/ with this lazy garbage bait.
>>
>>47860116
This is what bait looks like
>>
>>47860116
Become a Wizard.

Make the rest of them redundant.
>>
>>47860268
>>47860300
>>47860320

He might not actually be doing this to upset us or his group. Maybe he just wants build advice for a high-optimisation 3.5 game, and knowing how vehemently some fa/tg/uys hate 3.5 he decided that making it about wrath against 3aboos is more likely to get him a good build than genuinely asking for help.
>>
Why not just have fun with this game, then ask to do something new after this campaign? Explain that you love playing with them enough to push through something you hate, but would like it if you gave other things a chance too.
>>
Play a truenamer and try to survive
>>
>>47860352
>There's a Monk, a Ranger, and a Fighter.
>High optimization
pick one and only one
>>
>>47860116
Play a Truenamer from Tome of Magic. They are broken as shit. Their spellcasting is based on skills, so you can just get a customized weapon of legacy as an item familiar for the sick bonuses and break the game in half!
Be sure to take three flaws from Unearthed Arcana so you can get all the additional feats you need to pump up your true-naming skill.
Be sure to get a wand chamber installed in your staff for double UMD!
>>
>>47860116
Druid.

You have a better bear companion than the ranger, you can turn into a bear that fights better than the fighter, and you are still a full caster that just trumps fucking everything the monk could do.

All this is also in core.
>>
>>47860116
How about you dont be a dick and either quit the group or just have fun with them.
>>
>>47860116
roll a druid and just play casually, not even worrying about min/maxing. watch the rest of the players realize your animal companion outdamages them.
>>
>>47860352
> What's the best build I can make to fuck up the setting and kill the other PCs
>not trying to upset his group
OP is That Guy and you should stop defending him
>>
>>47860361
>>47860444
Please only post legitimate answers. I won't have trolls in my thread. Thank you.
>>
>>47861088
my point in telling him to play truenamer is to tell him to play the most non d&d 3.5 class ever
>>
Probably bait topic but if not bait just play a druid. A wizard could break the campaign over his knee more but no one will recognize it and he will look like a beloved contributor to party success. The druid will simply do everything the rest of the party is doing but better.
>>
>>47861110
I know full well what you were doing. Please don't troll.
>>
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pun-Pun_%283.5e_Optimized_Character_Build%29
>>
>>47861088

> won't have trolls in my thread
> What's the best build I can make to fuck up the setting and kill the other PCs

Fuck off, That Guy.
>>
>>47861347
It's a legitimate thread, don't know why you feel the need to shitpost and be a salty little troll about it. If you don't like it, just leave and let the adults have their discussion.
>>
This thread is already doomed. Abandon it.
>>
>>47860444
Played a True Namer/Fiend Binder in a non-serious game that lasted about a year and got us to level 27. Probably the most fun I've ever had in 3.5
>>
>>47860116
If you really want to show them the problem with 3.X then a broken character isn't the way to go. Just try to do unusual things, forcing you and the DM to take five minutes checking your sheet and the rulebook to resolve it, over and over.

Class balance can be tweaked. Overstuffed rule sets cannot.
>>
>>47862220
that's... actually a really good idea. AND it doesn't force you to be that guy, just being creative is enough.
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 259x194
>>47860116
Dont be a beta passive-aggressive faggot and talk to them like adults. Seriously, 3.5 isn't a form of torture simular to ripping out your nails. Best edition? no, but it was still way better then 4e. Either play and have fun, talk to them about how you wanna play something else, or go sulk in the corner like all your mary sue characters and let everyone else enjoy their lives.
>>
>>47862220
You're not very familiar with the system, it seems.

Then again, you're trying to earnestly reply to a dumb troll thread, so that tends to be how it goes.
>>
Actual question, since my group is also insisting on 3.5. Assuming low optimization (the other PCs are all new to D&D), what's a fun character to play that can contribute meaningfully without overshadowing anyone else?
>>
>>47863020
That's also fun for me, that is. I don't want to just play a Wizard or Cleric, buff everyone else and then spend the encounter jerking off in the corner.
>>
>>47863020
Sorcerer or Bard.
>>
>>47860116
So my friend is running a weeaboo magic oneshot this weekend, what's the most obnoxious build i can go? Point buy 40 btw...don't ask me why i really don't know
>>
>>47863368
Flaws and Traits are a-ok too
>>
>>47860116
This is kind of like those Republicans who rant about how broken government is, then get into government, do their best to sabotage it, and then say "see!" I'm not defending 3.5 (which is... le'ts just say "flawed"), but the only thing you're proving is how much of douchewad you are.
>>
Here is the druid handbook for you.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0
Focus on either spellslinging, animal companion, or wild shape. Delve into it as deep as possible. Any path lets you rule the battlefield as a demigod.
You'll be noticeably more powerful than your peers by level 5, and more powerful than all of them combined by level 10.

If your DM is "core only", then all you really need to take is the Natural Spell feat at level 5.

Note that nobody can break the game at level 1 so if you want to swagger out of the gate with hellfire and ruin, you're not going to.
>>
>>47860116
Roll a cleric. If gestalt is available, cleric/druid
>>
>>47862475
>better than 4e
3aboos, everyone

OP, pick a wizard and invalidate everyone else's contributions to a fight. After a few encounters where the others are effectively cleanup detail they'll get the message
>>
>>47861088
Try a vow of poverty fighter.
>>
>>47863769
If I wanted to play WoW, I wouldn't use a pen and a sheet of paper, I'd use a PC.
>>
>>47863769
While they are tier 1 classes, wizards actually struggle to solo in 3.5 until level 12 or so. In the early game, they shine brightest at disablement magic, which, rather than utterly outshining your party, gives an illusion of balance (wizard saps enemy crowd, fighter and monk pretend they are relevant by beating up crippled foes).
>>
>>47860116
How about you quit being that guy and play the most God Tier Edition of DnD?
>>
It's annoying how the board whines about 3.5 for existing/being played just because 5e exists. 2e players never got this much shit, don't be children about this.
>>
>>47863368
anyone?
>>
>>47860352
Mental gymnastics
>>
>>47863628
Level one wizard, using Color Spray and a Gnomish Hooked Hammer.
>>
>>47864618
2e had good monsters, settings, adventures, and fluff.
>>
>>47868576
Look at that lack of self-awareness. Those are called opinions. Not everyone agrees with those. Not everyone has to.
>>
>>47868576

>Settings, adventures, fluff.

You as a player or DM are in complete control over this. Don't like a setting? Make changes for your group.

>Monsters.

3.5 has all of 2e's monsters and then some. The only thing that has changed is the stats.
>>
>>47868689
>3.5 has all of 2e's monsters and then some.

Blatantly false.
>>
>>47860116
I fucking hate 3.5, but even I have say don't be a bitch and find a different group is you don't want to play 3.5.
>>
Shit on the table and then jump out of the window.
>>
>>47861420
No, it's not. You're asking for advice on how to be a that guy. The best way to do that is to kill yourself.
>>
>>47860352

In other words, bait.
>>
>>47863915
Then stop pretending Diablo is a PnP game.
>>
>>47863020
Dragonfire Inspiration + Snowflake Wardance Bard.
>>
>>47869011

Wut?
>>
>>47861420
>hey guys, how can I shit all over my group's fun?
>adults
I have no words.
>>
>>47868601

People act on their opinions. If more people enjoyed 2e than 3.5e (or more realistically, much fewer people had any opinion on it one way or the other), why would they give it as much shit? But this is obvious. What isn't is why any of this annoys you.
>>
>>47869035
The same comparison that is drawn between 4E and WoW can be drawn between 3.5E and Diablo.

I don't know if I agree, I'm just helping you interpret a chain of posts. It's necessary, apparently.
>>
>>47863368
depends on your level

Consider the iaijutsu katana chucker build
>>
>>47863915
Why would you play 4e if you want to play WoW?

4e plays nothing like WoW, it plays like tabletop Final Fantasy Tactics
>>
>>47869285
People who have played neither like to parrot stupid shit someone said once like it is gospel.

It is like the people who hate 3.5 yet have never played it or met someone who played it.
>>
>>47863368
What level? Starting resources? Books flatly disallowed?
Without knowing any of this, all I can do is give suggestions. Ruby Knight Vindicator is a decent prestige class, with one amazing ability. Divine Impetus, gained at RKV 7, let's you spend a Turn/Rebuke Undead attempt to gain another Swift action for the round. That might not seem like much, but ToB introduces dozens of worthwhile abilities that use a Swift. Furthermore, it's a gish class that furthers your martial maneuvers and divine spellcasting.
>>
>>47869180

>[PnP game] is just an ersatz PnP version of [PC game]
>then stop pretending that [name of PC game I'm using as an epithet of a PnP game for comparative purposes] is a PnP game

Good job on unraveling what this guy was trying to say, but it's still a total non-sequitur.
>>
File: fft_classes_by_njordy-d32umkk.jpg (187 KB, 650x1227) Image search: [Google]
fft_classes_by_njordy-d32umkk.jpg
187 KB, 650x1227
>>47869285
I fucking loved Final Fantasy Tactics. Are you sure about this?
>>
>>47869370
Yes.
>>
>>47869370
More like Revenant Wings really.
>>
File: suggestion.jpg (7 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
suggestion.jpg
7 KB, 640x360
>>47860116
hey i've got your Solution right here OP...

And how about having fun with your friends and not be zealos fanatic and hate a game your friends want to play, or don't play at all if you don't want to play this game
>>
>>47862649

Dude, there are fucking rules for every goddamn thing your character could possibly do in 3.X.

Hell, just saying "I pick up a rock and throw it at him" requires a GM to look up

>The hardness of the rock
>How much damage an improvised weapon deals
>Whether or not there's a penalty for using an improvised weapon.
>The range of the rock.

Among other bullshit.

And for each ruling, the GM will have to pause the game and look up how it would work because that's how the game is designed apparently.
>>
File: arguing in bad faith.jpg (66 KB, 828x334) Image search: [Google]
arguing in bad faith.jpg
66 KB, 828x334
>>47863915

Hello "argues in bad faith."

I was wondering when you'd show up.
>>
File: this.jpg (14 KB, 278x155) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
14 KB, 278x155
>>47860268
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.