[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General - Break Spells Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Break the 5th edition spells. Have fun.
>>
>>47857203
>>47857343
>>47857128
We can go deeper.

Party composition:
>Evocation wiz
>Beastmaster ranger
>Defensive barbarian
>Battlemaster fighter
>Moon druid
>Openhand monk

>Wizard prepared action cast Create Bonfire
12d8+15
>Beastmaster's giant crab attacks, autograpples, and uses its 15 feet of movement to drag the enemy out of the fire (10 remaining), in (5 remaining), back out (no movement remaining), and then release the grapple
4d8+5
>Barbarian uses his bonus action to shove the target through the bonfire
4d8+5
>Fighter uses Pushing Attack to shove the target through the bonfire
4d8+5
>Druid repeats giant crab shenanigans
4d8+5
>Monk does his flurry of blows and shoves the target through the bonfire
4d8+5

32d8+40 damage, mean 184 damage
This is only taking into account the bonfire damage.

Create Bonfire secretly the most OP spell in 5e?
>>
About this overpowered eldritch knight sentinel pole-arm fighter: What happens when the enemy parries your one attack, uses dispel magic, silence or hold person?
>>
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice. I started playing DnD 5e recently (I've only played Dngeon World before) and I was curious what all these extra rules actually add. I mean, in Dungeon World, if I want to grapple a dragon, I just need to roll +Str and get a 10+. In DnD it looks like all these complicated rules and I am curious what they actually add to the experience and drive the fiction (important part) forward.

Also why does DnD still use d20? It's very swingy compared to the 2d6 that Duneon World uses that produces a nicer bell curve.
>>
>>47858121
Attack, extra attack, extra attack, extra attack for 4d10+20, bonus action polearm master attack for 1d4+5 for a total of 4d10+1d4+25, mean 49.5 damage
>>
>>47858144

I'm having a hard time understanding how this is supposed to be better than a gwm or sharpshooter fighter or whether or not that was even the point. The build doesn't even have all the features until level 12.
>>
>>47858256
>Post bretty gud Eldritch Knight build with a very respectful damage output utilising just cantrips for funsies
>",Well what if I teleport behind him and break his neck, then what huh???? Hahaha your build fucking SUCKS fag!!"
Okay anon, thanks for sharing.
>>
>>47858076
In 4e they released huge errata to prevent shenanigans with forced movement and damaging auras. You'd think they would have learned.
>>
>>47858408

How deep into last thread is it? I wanna see it.
>>
File: 1466358740013s.jpg (2 KB, 108x125) Image search: [Google]
1466358740013s.jpg
2 KB, 108x125
>>47858408
>posts: " >>47855896 #
Come on man, you know I'll find a way to break the game anyway, just let me do it while also flying. Pic related, made this for you."
>pic related
>person points out how flawed and overcomplicated it is.
>"c'mon man it's for funnsies"
>>
>>47858548
I'd repost the image here but I'm on Clover and can't access the archive. It's pretty near the end of the thread.
>>
Quick question, is there any way for a Wizard to gain the Shillelagh cantrip and have it use the Intelligence stat? Taking Magic Initiate (Druid) would force me to use Wisdom, and the two classes that actually have options to steal other class spells (Warlock with a Tome Pact and Bard) would make it use Charisma instead.
>>
>>47858584

DM fiat
>>
High elf rogue swashbuckler. Guaranteed booming blade + sneak attack basically every round.

Or sorcerer paladin with gwf smiting factory.
>>
File: 1466358740013.png (40 KB, 804x927) Image search: [Google]
1466358740013.png
40 KB, 804x927
>>47858578
>fuck up saving image

Well here is the actual picture.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160619-153838.png (212 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160619-153838.png
212 KB, 1080x1920
>>47858578
>Can't into meme arrows
>Can't into posting images (nice picture for ants, retard)
>Can't into reading comprehension (nobody pointed out flaws or over complication)

So, anon, how does it feel to have a sub80 IQ
>>
File: cr9.jpg (71 KB, 797x484) Image search: [Google]
cr9.jpg
71 KB, 797x484
>>47858408

>Well what if I teleport behind him and break his neck?

Pretty fucking legitimate concern imo
>>
How would I calculate exhaustion from traveling if the party all have mounts? Obviously they aren't under any major physical strain but I'd think they'd need a break after riding for hours with the hot sun beating down on them. My campaign takes place in a desert if that helps.
>>
File: 1463937618500.jpg (116 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1463937618500.jpg
116 KB, 1280x720
>>47858139
Honestly not sure if trolling. 5/10, not particularly inciting.
>>
File: skele.png (134 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
skele.png
134 KB, 400x400
How do you fare, fellow skele-buddies?
>>
Alright you cucks, I'm bored, just got done going to Origins, and let me tell you, I don't think I can ever play a sword and board tank fighter ever again. Mind you, Adventurers League play, but fucking hell it was dull. At least with GWF or a polearm I can fucking do some damage, but being a tank with shield master and sentinel just hurt with how long it took for baddies to go down. Is there a way to make the tank build (other than changing classes fully, don't want to druid again), not be such a suck/repetition fest?
>>
>>47858780
I tend to do it per hours when it comes to exhaustion, like you're thinking. 12 or so hours at an average pace in a good enviroment would be a good stopping point for most people and horses, so maybe 1/2 that or 1/3 of that in intense heat/dry weather like a desert?
>>
Hey, anons? I'm interested in trying to homebrew some decent, balanced new Arcane Traditions for the 5e Wizard; I was wondering if any of these sound workable to anons, and if I might be allowed to post my efforts here for critique, refining and balance?

Elementalist Schools: Earth, Air, Water, Fire, Wood, Metal

Defiler

Preserver
>>
File: i think we really fucked up.png (2 MB, 1025x1063) Image search: [Google]
i think we really fucked up.png
2 MB, 1025x1063
>>47858059
Anyone ever make art, regardless of quality, about their campaign shenanigans? This happened last night
>>
>>47858938
Going Battlemaster, Paladin or Moondruid ?
>>
>>47858642
but it wouldn't need to leave the bonfire, because your polearm gives you 10ft reach and they don't eat the opportunity attack until they leave it. They could also just strafe a circle around you and get out of it.
>>
>>47859038
I was straight battlemaster, maybe going to dip paladin for some extra burst and utility.
>>
>>47859038
Mind you, I didn't go paladin because we had a paladin/barbarian mix, and we needed someone with some martial battlefield control. Battlemaster does that too well, especially if you need another front line hp meat shield and you don't want to be a druid.
>>
>>47858938
Battle master and good Roleplay works just fine for me. I love my Goliath gladiator / axe and board fighter.
>>
Can anyone link the list that compiles all official character choices?
>>
>>47859103
I'll be honest, I think it would have been better if there was more roleplay involved. I like a good mix of the three pillars (Combat, Exploration, Roleplay) and our DM /and/ half the table favored combat heavily. So there was no way to breathe any life into the walking stat block.

I might try it again in the near future with a friend group, give it another feel
>>
>>47859143
Sounds like a solid plan to me.
>>
Hey /tg/

I'm not gonna be able to find the time to prepare tomorrow's session. Fortunately my last session was the end of the campaign so i can go with a one-off this time.

Would you guys happen to know a good, self-contained one-shot for three PCs?
Preferably with some undeads in there, and not a dungeon. Three last sessions were in one.

I'm pretty good at translating from other editions on the fly, so I don't really care about that. Thanks !
>>
>>47858076
The bonfire only damages -
1. When cast
2. When a creature FIRST enters the bonfire
3. When a creature ends its turn in the bonfire

So I don't think that works, does it?
>>
Doing a 5e campaign about a cult to a false lizard god. Should the boss be a cleric or warlock?
>>
How do I make the game interesting for my players? The bard and cleric are having a blast, but the spelless ranger variant and the champion fighter are both complaining a lot.
>>
>>47859350
we need details.
what are they complaining about?
do you think what they're saying is fair?
who/what's to blame according to you?
>>
>>47859316
How about a real lizard God?
>>
Cold open:

Has anyone successfully run a game without telling the players anything beforehand?
>>
>>47859316
Plot-twist: the god is an Aboleth and the boss is an enslaved Cleric fighting alongside the illusionary image of its "god".
>>
>>47859400
Basically, every time I think of a puzzle or object for them, the party decided using a cantrip or spell is the optimal way to solve it. I try to burn the spell slots, but the party is very cautious, and always thinks of a good way to take a long rest. Short of cheesing them with an ambush every time, I can't think of a way to make the ranger out fighter relevant.
>>
Going to be running a campaign where the players are the rulers/the rulers entourage of a city/nation, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on which dnd setting would be more appropriate for that style, if any?
>>
>>47859465
This nigga, this.
Damn, I love aboleths.
>>
>>47859481
Give them a time limit.
>>
>>47859423
It's possible, but you're only sabotaging yourself without making sure everyone are on the same page, at least theme and focus wise.
>>
>>47859481
Either do >>47859647 or place them in a cavernous dungeon with enemies that burrow.
They won't feel safe enough to rest for very long.
>>
>>47859481
> the party decided using a cantrip or spell is the optimal way to solve it.
So... Why don't you pick puzzles that can't be solved by the party's cantrips or spells?

> the party [...] always thinks of a good way to take a long rest
Random encounters aren't cheese. They're one of the pillars of D&D. Because it's a very dangerous world out there.
Also, you could try switching long rests to 12 hours, and short rests to 10 minutes. DMG has guidelines for that. I think it could work with your party composition, especially if the bard already has Font of Inspiration.

>I can't think of a way to make the ranger out fighter relevant.
If you have a Ranger as PC, you have no other choice but to add survival aspects to your game, like it or not. There are ways to make that fun, but it's gonna be work. And maybe the other PCs are going to dislike it but that's not really your problem. Your Ranger will love you for asking the others "so yeah, you guys have been fucking around for a while now... you're getting hungry now. What do you do?"

Champion Fighter is probably the most boring archetype in 5e. If the player can't find how to have fun with that, it's kinda "on him". See >>47841891 for advice on making melee characters have fun in combat. Outside of combat, give him strength/constitution skill challenges (tavern brawls etc.)
>>
>>47859423
Yes... sort of.
Current campaign I told everyone to make a character, and background, send them to me. The only restriction was no evil alignments.
I wanted to test my ability to weave together a bunch of random shit. So far it has actually gone pretty well.
I would guess though if you're planning a game and have an idea what the setting, villain, etc. will be and aren't willing to adapt it to suit the players class choices, that's probably not a good idea.
>>
>>47859350

i feel like this same post gets posted literally every thread. "How do I make the game interesting for my players? The [two spell casters] are having a blast, but the [no spells ): ] are both complaining a lot."

I'm not in every thread but I see this at least once a day when I check in.
>>
>>47859792
I'm starting to get suspicious it's the same person posting a variation of it every thread to get people to believe that playing martials in D&D is boring.
If your martial is really that bored, you need to pump up your DM skills. If that doesn't work, suggest to a martial that they take the magic initiate feat or multiclass and stop complaining.
>>
>>47859792
It's possible, but it's also possible that this is a common occurrence. As a DM myself I've always felt that casters are easier to dm for, and my players seem to think that casters are more fun to play too. They've actually tried to kill off martial characters they were playing because they got so bored at some points.
>>
>>47859279
maybe try 1pagedungeon for inspiration, some of them arent dungeon per say
>>
>>47859837

I'm beyond suspicious at this point honestly. The formatting is too similar between each post.

>>47859971

See maybe it is, but it is literally the same format every time. "How do I make the game for my [players/martials]" or "How do I keep my casters from overshadowing my [Fighter/Barbarian]." The post almost ALWAYS mentions a lore bard and a champion fighter too. I wouldn't be surprised if those two were shit poster-kun's two pet peeve classes on either end of the spectrum.
>>
>>47859971
Of course, this isn't an issue in other systems I've played like wod or eote. In both of those systems casters and martials are relatively well balanced, because casting comes at the expense of developing skills.

Dnd would probably be better if every martial was a skill monkey.
>>
>>47860020

5e is pretty well balanced.
>>
File: 643px-Peasant_coming_through.jpg (73 KB, 643x600) Image search: [Google]
643px-Peasant_coming_through.jpg
73 KB, 643x600
>>47858792
Nice reaction image
Saved
>>
>>47860078
Agreed, except when it comes to out of combat interaction.
>>
>>47859033
Yeah I have a picture of one of my players poorly photoshopped on to a barbarian because of the description he gave for his characters (my girlfriend drew character art for everyone based on references they gave and he just said "like me but older and more muscular)
>>
Does anyone know when the "tank" role first got shoehorned into D&D? I feel like it was never a thing until relatively recently.

You have your "hard to kill" characters and your "easier to kill, but make up for it with class features" guys, but it wasn't until 4e when classes started getting mechanics that forced creatures to attack them instead of the rest of the party.

Was tanking before then just an honor system thing that obligated the DM to target the people with the highest AC first?
>>
>>47860016
They also tend to mention martials wanting to kill their characters off rather than just retiring them or whatever
>>
>>47860107
(someone else)
I'll grant that the classes are furthest apart on that front,but even then, between background features and a few more minor class/race abilities here and there, player characters in general just have more stuff they can do now, across the board.

The PCs who are least well-equipped for exploration/socializing stuff, are still almost always better equipped on those fronts than they've typically been in previous D&D versions.
>>
>>47859291
I know, I just want people to critique the post and discuss more shenanigans. People are more likely to note and discuss the content of a post if there's something incorrect in it. Good catch. Remove (4d8+5) from the total.
>>
File: knight 2.jpg (171 KB, 464x1080) Image search: [Google]
knight 2.jpg
171 KB, 464x1080
>>47860177
It was at least partly down to 'threat assessment' on part of the DM but tanking goes further back than 4e. At the very least the 3.5e Knight (PHB2) had "challenge enemy" mechanics.
It was pretty weak to be honest but I enjoyed playing it
>>
>>47860213
>only pretending.jpg
>>
>>47860177
I think it's basically bullshit people put in their mind that they "need" because of MMORPG. Last DM I had (who was absolutely horrendous) literally said out loud "well I'll keep focusing the tank then" while playing his drows. Fucking A.

On the other hand, as you said, you simply have more resilient characters than others. Meatshields or not, having characters with different durability is pretty important to a pary. But I don't think that's anything else.

> mechanics that forced creatures to attack them
In 5e I believe you only have mechanics that says: you may attack something else, but you're gonna be at disadvantage. Even then, they're pretty rare I believe, arent they?
>>
>>47860255
>i only made a mistake so that i can fish for attention harder.webm
>>
>>47860201
Sure. 5e has definitely made improvements.

Honestly, I feel the biggest thing holding dnd back on this front are the grognard fans who insist on having nearly every martial class be limited to hitting things with swords. Champion fighters apparently weren't enough options for the loud subset of fans that have a pathological fear of options.
>>
>>47860177
In early editions, just being in melee with a fighter meant you had to give them your attention. If you try to move away from them, they get at least one free attack. If you try to cast a spell it can get interrupted. Good luck using a ranged weapon. So anyone not in the melee is basically safe from anyone mired in the melee. That was tanking. Of course, there's lots of exceptions for things like dragons.
>>
>>47860177
>>47860264
4e's mechanic wasn't generally about forcing enemies to attack you; it was that you would interfere with their attacks or punish them if they attacked your allies - and that just so happens to make it better for them to attack you.
>>
>>47860177
>You have your "hard to kill" characters and your "easier to kill, but make up for it with class features" guys, but it wasn't until 4e when classes started getting mechanics that forced creatures to attack them instead of the rest of the party.

tanking doesn't typically work like that in 4e. however, there was a 3e class called the knight with mechanics that force enemies to attack them.
>>
File: Shadowcaster1.png (486 KB, 596x824) Image search: [Google]
Shadowcaster1.png
486 KB, 596x824
reposting the 5e shadowcaster homebrew, looking for feedback.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/10ORCC8IwwqgTv6kSy-wnGgfkegEYejOke9OwGnsN16c/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>47860255
I mean, if you need to disbelieve me in order to feel of superior intellect, then more power to you. You're entitled to your head canon.

>>47860299
Stay mad, bitch boi.

Nice dubs, faggots
>>
>>47860478
Been away for a few threads, but isn't the shadowcaster just "5E wizard", these days? You get 1-9 spellcasting, eventually unlimited uses of your favorite 1st and 2nd level spells, extra uses of your favorite 3rd level spells, can restore uses of any 5th level spells, and can cast 6th-9th level spells about once a day.
>>
>>47860213
Still, bonfire looks to be a pretty neat spell.

Its main limitation is its range and possibility of getting in the way of allies.
Next time I play something sorcerer-y, I'm going to make sure I can try getting it.

Wait a second, isn't it concentration? That'd kinda suck.
>>
>>47858059
Fuck off
>>
>>47860573
60 feet range
Concentration
>>
>>47859033
one of your pcs is a death slaadi?
>>
>>47860177
Just speaking from my experience and opinions, but outside of a few options here and there (i have never played 4e but I have played 3.5 and 5e), I have never seen an aggro mechanic in D&D. With that said, the way I have always done tanking, as a player, is to try and position myself in the middle of as many enemies as possible as fast as possible to draw their attention and hopefully their aggression.

As a DM I usually have melee baddies go for the closest threat while the ranged baddies go for the strongest threat on the party's side of the battle (which varries depending on what the party decides to do/cast in the battle)
>>
>>47860678
Attack of opportunity is a pretty solid "tanking" mechanic. Controls the battlefield, making you "sticky" and hard/expensive to escape from - thus, they have to attack you.
>>
>>47860600
Fuck off.
>>
>>47860573
What do you mean "is it a concentration spell"? Everything in 5e is a concentration spell.
>>
>>47860561
Not really, I still need to update the spell list for the shadowcaster, but the spellcasting progression for the shadowcaster is a bit wonky compared to the wizards. Theyre also sneakier and only require somatic components for casting their spells. That being said, unlimited uses of early level spells isnt unlocked until lvl 18. By contrast a shadowcaster gets a metric fuckton of uses by level 13, though never unlimited.
>>
>>47860305

As far as fixing things go, I like "give better skill options to fighters/barbs/monks" much, much better than some of the other shit I've seen crop up on here from time to time. Maybe expertise in one skill? Barbarians could have expertise in Athletics, Fighters/Monks could have a selection of skills they could choose from...

I think the key is to make sure it's still less than what Rogues/Bards get, but not bad all the same.
>>
File: duskblade 2.jpg (152 KB, 750x1061) Image search: [Google]
duskblade 2.jpg
152 KB, 750x1061
>>47860811
Pure spell attacks tend not to be
>>
>>47860305
5e attempts to leave a lot of the martial rules unwritten. Where spellcasters are pretty restricted to what their spells say they do, martials can improvise. Sure parry, bull rush, trip and disarm are all things the battlemaster is good at, but there's no reason the champion or a barbarian can't do these things without the superiority dice bonus. The charge action isn't gated by a feat, either.
>>
File: 1452107331281.jpg (25 KB, 476x353) Image search: [Google]
1452107331281.jpg
25 KB, 476x353
>tfw when your characters are always used as "you go/touch/charge it first" guinea pigs"
>tfw you took the alert feat so you're never surprised when you get ass raped
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (28 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
28 KB, 1280x720
>>47860974
YES
>>
>>47859465
Guy who posted question here. That's some good shit. I'm stealing it
>>
>>47861009
>Swashbuckler rogue
>Lv 16
>20cha, 20dex, alert
>+15 bonus to initiative
>>
File: 1385136139955.png (19 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
1385136139955.png
19 KB, 870x870
>>47861125
>>
>>47860811
Mostly buffs are.

It means you can't use buffs alongside it.

>>47860613
60ft isn't as good as firebolt, but it's still acceptable for what it is.
The concentration is what hurts if you're throwing haste around or something.
>>
>>47861125
Throw in 2 levels of bard for +18 from Jack of All Trades.
>>
>>47861125
>swashbuckler rogue with stupid initiatives
>everyone rolls initiative
>everybody else rolls 16+
>you roll a goddamn 1
>combat ends before its even your turn
Some people just want to watch the world burn.
>>
File: dragonborn table.jpg (47 KB, 335x284) Image search: [Google]
dragonborn table.jpg
47 KB, 335x284
So what's the best pick for a Dragonborn's Draconic Heritage?
>>
Rolling down the line, got 15 INT & 15 CHA, everything else around 10-13. What do I build /5eg/?
>>
>>47861443
Wizard/warlock multi
>>
>>47861419
> not homebrewing a psychic lazer (120 ft range)
> not asking your DM to incorporate diamond dragons in his setting
> not being the best version of sorcery you could be

lol what a fag xD
>>
>>47860177

>DM ignores the tanky dude and kills all the squishies

>All that's left is the tanky dude.

Versus

>Tanky dude gets attacked
>Everyone gets to play, at least for a little while.

That said, I think our DM has loaded die whenever he attacks our Wizard or Paladin. Or he just declares he crit just to see how we scramble to their aid...
>>
>>47861443
Enchantment wizard, pick a half-elf, be the bard that actually went to college and didn't drop out to play guitar and fuck whores.
>>
>>47858139
>In DnD it looks like all these complicated rules

if that small paragraph in the PHB was too much for you, then this game is not for you.
>>
>>47861419

probably fire if you are melee martial. heat metal and all the monsters that hurt you with fire just by being near them or hitting them will be reduced.
>>
>>47861419
whatever suits your alignment and/or campaign. no point of picking acid if you're dicking around in the tundra
stereotypicaly though fire spells are the most damaging types, so it might be nice to get free resistance to them
>>
My weapon of choice is the Quaterstaff and it has the Versatile feature. I know it deals more damage when I use it that way, but I would like to know what that would mean for the rest of my turn.
>>
>>47860974
The problem is that all of those unwritten rules are things casters can use as well, sometimes better.
>>
File: Astrya Party 2.png (5 MB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
Astrya Party 2.png
5 MB, 2000x1500
>>47860665
I have his Slaad Control gem, effectively making him our 4th party member. He's been extremely useful to us, especially since there's only three of us without him, and a lot of his magics have either greatly alleviated problems or bypassed them entirely.

The best part is that he's my personal meat shield that stays behind me with constant invisibility, like a frog Stand

Pic related with me in the top right. This was the party before we were reduced to Pasta headed Guts, Jackie Chan, and the tin can wizard
>>
>>47861700
1. why
2. you move your off-hand on and off the weapon as many times as you like, it costs nothing
>>
>>47861858
I know, but as a monk I can make an unarmed strike as a bonus action after my attack action. So I would assume that I couldn't do that after using the staff with both hands.
>>
>>47861905
You're a monk, nigga, fucking kick them or something.
>>
>>47861905
Yes you can. And that does mean that, at lvl1, you can attack and deal 1d8+DEX+1d4+DEX every turn. Because you have a head, and legs, and all that.
>>
>>47861917
Is this RAW, or your just making it up ?
>>
>>47861905

>Bop enemy with staff
>plug that shit into the ground and do a kick, using the staff as leverage/spring-point

It's a common maneuver for mine actually. Even if the quarterstaff is an oar
>>
>>47861905
like >>47861917 said, you can use your feet if you want. you can literally use your soft cock to do 1d4+dex damage if you really want to. flurry of blows to hit with your testes.

aside from that, you don't need to worry about twohanding your staff unless you have sovereigns glue on your hands first. grab your chair leg with two hands. now take a hand off. now punch the air with your hand. was that difficult? do you think an expert martial artist would find that difficult?
>>
>>47861952
> Because you have a head, and legs, and all that.

what if my character doesn't have those
>>
File: phb196werrata.png (204 KB, 531x237) Image search: [Google]
phb196werrata.png
204 KB, 531x237
>>47861954
>>
>>47861954
>"how do i took hand off of 1/4staff???"
"you can do it as a free action, taking your hand off of a staff is trivial"
>"but who do i took hand off 1/4staff??"
"It doesn't matter anyways, you can kick if you'd like"
>"are you making that up"

I swear to fucking god, gtfo.
>>
>>47861997
Then get out of my fucking house, your character is dead and you are out of the game.
>>
>>47862056
I just wanted to play a crippled dullahan monk why do you always have to stifle my creativity
>>
Is there any written rule that prevents a character from moving between shots of eldritch blast, fire bolt, magic missile, etc?
>>
>>47862056
I just wanted to play a beholder monk why do you always have to stifle my creativity
>>
>>47862144
Fire Bolt is one shot, Magic Missile implies that all the bolts are created at once and says outright that they all hit simultaneously.

For EB I would let you move between them, but the rule for breaking up movement between attacks specifies weapon attacks. Letting a warlock move between EBs isn't going to break anything though.
>>
>>47862144
> between shots of eldritch blast, fire bolt, magic missile

>Magic Missile
All the missiles hit simultaneously. Spell says so.
>Fire Bolt
Is only one shot.
>Eldritch Blast
Unclear. I think you're supposed to be able to though. There's technically no rule that clearly allows it, since that's generally how the rules work.
>>
File: caltrops.png (41 KB, 435x169) Image search: [Google]
caltrops.png
41 KB, 435x169
>>47862197
>>47862214
Thanks for the quick responses. Is there any rule that prevents stacking the movement penalty from caltrops?
>>
>>47862309
RAI you revert.
>>
>>47862314
The DMG errata adds a section that explicitly states that game effects with the same name (in this case: caltrops) don't stack. You could stack it with other sources, such as Ray of Frost.
>>
>>47861700
It just means you can't do the d8 damage while holding something. You can't do the d8 damage with a shield in the other hand or some weapon.
>>
>bandit chief disarms the Rogue and kicks his rapier away
>Sorcerer Catapults Rogue's rapier into the chief's chest
>Rogue pulls his sword out, then back in
neat
>>
>>47862354
Combining it with Chill Touch is an especially dick move because they CAN'T heal.
>>
/5eg/, I just finished a session. The party fought some specters.

One PC, a spry vixen of a 17 year old got screwed by a couple of the specters...and became a veritable ancient, at 88 years old (there were three specters against a level 10 party, and this poor bard kept failing every single saving throw so poorly...).

It made me wonder: would that have just killed a PC? The shock of aging decades over the course of seconds?

I seem to remember there being age charts in previous editions. What would you do in that situation?
>>
What is your experience with the inner planes in campaign? Selling items in the city of brass of the plane of fire, underwater adventures in the plane of water, flying through the clouds in the plane of air, digging deep into the plane of earth, any stories are welcome.
>>
>>47862953
I wouldn't throw extra effects onto the aging because that would up the CR of the creature. If you really want to give some kind of recoil for aging 70 years give them a con save or gain a few levels of exhaustion.
>>
>>47863008
I hadn't planned on it, actually! It was crazy, because the player asked me if she would even have survived gaining that much age over seconds, and was very surprised that it didn't.

These specters weren't even the boss.
>>
If you use the DMG rules for NPC races with class levels, and you have a zombie with the shadow sorc class (i know its absurd), would it have to make two different con saves to die if it hits 0 HP?
>>
>>47862954
My upcoming campaign is going to involve an extended trek into the Plane of Shadow (which, in this universe, is not like the Shadowfell, but instead is mostly inimical to life from the material plane, until whatever from there dies and rises as a shadow).
>>
>>47862953
well obviously race matters alot. 88 isn't old at all for some of them, though for humans its "you look like a fuckin wizard no matter what you do" and half orcs its "ur ded lel"

if you mean physical shock of it happening, then no. realize a person can be fully engulfed inside a ball of flame bigger than them or voluntarily walk through a wall of swirling razors, and then shake it off by putting some bandaids on or taking a nap.

and they're magically aged, realize the person didn't lead a normal life to get to that age. they didn't fall down the stairs a decade ago and break their hip because of lower calcium, or have to deal with diabetus for the past 20 years, they just fucking wizarded old.

MENTAL SHOCK? maybe, but thats not going to outright kill a person, and mental shock ingame is basically just a series of saves or something.

hell, depending on the class, with the way old age chart worked, they could actually be better off old
>>
>>47863062
Yeah that's pretty rough, but that's some character building at least.
>>
>>47863087
The only precedent I can think of similar to this is gaining resistances to damages, they don't stack. D&D doesn't like things stacking so I would assume the most RAI interpretation I would say no. One con save.
>>
>>47863154
>>47863169

> and they're magically aged, realize the person didn't lead a normal life to get to that age. they didn't fall down the stairs a decade ago and break their hip because of lower calcium, or have to deal with diabetus for the past 20 years, they just fucking wizarded old.

This was my response, in the session.

The bard (since they decided that they didn't want a cleric, for some reason and refuse to try to find an NPC cleric to go with them) is the healer, and is human.

I've just been wondering if I should have been a bit more harsh.
>>
>>47863249
Nah that seems fine, don't punish bad luck THAT much. If they did something dumb then yeah punish that, but if they are doing their best and just getting unlucky just let nature take its course.

It is a game of course, meant to be fun.
>>
>>47863249
>This was my response, in the session.
the best way to think about it to me, is more like 3.X desiccation or inflicting a person with muscular dystrophy. at worse, the player is tired and maybe weaker, and would need some/alot of rest. unless they ended up WAY beyond their races max age chart, and even then i probably wouldn't end up killing them. they dont just magically turn to dust like in a movie because they got old.

what is their race though out of curiosity? an orc aged up to 150? well id start to consider killing them, but 150 is far less than half the max age for a dwarf
>>
>>47863339
She wasn't entirely unlucky; about five sessions before, purely randomly, they found a scroll of greater restoration, so it worked out.

They then pimpslapped the boss (the rogue used a poison he'd been saving for literally 6 in-real-life months), so it worked out.

>>47863385
Human, in this case.
>>
So I've been playing 5e with friends for a while, not focusing too much on combat. Over the summer Roll20 is the only option so I want to run something that takes more advantage of the fact that there's a grid there, easy tools for tactical movement etc. (we don't use minis or anything, rough sketches of the battlefield at best). So I'm thinking of using 4e for that, none of us have played it but I've been interested and it seems to be more fit. Would that be best, or running a more combat-focused 5e game instead?
>>
>>47863245
thanks!
>>
File: image.jpg (587 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
587 KB, 2000x2000
Sup /5eg/, I'm in a few conundrums right now.
Pic related.
>playing 5e as a Gunslinger (thanks Matt mercer for making the coolest shit), as a soldier dude who had his sorta hometown razed by something probably demons and thanks to a dragonborn Druid he was saved while crawling the corpses of his
>his second chance at life helped him find religion in Pelor, and also drove him to build his shitty pistol to start out with
>first adventure (to get my character into the setting and to level three with the rest of the party) he has is with same Druid friend into some ruins
>said escapade ends up cursing not only him (with a -1 to Dex and a +1 to con, along with a cadre of other things such as speaking the god's name having a chance based on his already shitty charisma to get struck by holy lightning)
>it also curses his sword into being pretty much anti-magic, and if it strays too far from him it will fly back and attempt to kill him, straight through anything in the way.
>also end up with some weird orb that apparently powered the mechanisms in the ruins that led to his cursing
>his want to get rid of the curse leads him into the party cleric who also worships a sun deity, and pretty much makes her his security blanket due to curses
>we have no idea what level shit would take to get rid of the various effects on him, including the sword's forced attument, what do.

And part two
>Gunslinger's only good casting stat is wisdom
>want to take magic initiate for sweet sweet mending plus literally any caster class but bard fits his character type spectacularly
>don't want to take actual levels in other classes due to the other classes I'd want to pick up already being covered by the party
>other classes I'd like to pick up I can't level into anyway
What initiate do I pick?

FINALLY
>entire party is stocked on weird magical item shit
>the only ones we know what they do are the saber
>nobody can cast identify
Send help
>>
>>47863437
>>47862953
I must be missing something but why and how did the specter "age" her? Is that something that Specters do and that's somehow not written on the Monsters Manual? Is that some weird ass reading on how Life Drain works?
>>
Has anyone here played an Oath of the Ancients paladin? The flavor sounds awesome but I'm curious how much fun people have had with it.
>>
>>47863245
Maybe one con save at disad?
>>
>>47862767
I've done something like this too. Catapult is my go to damage and utility spell for level 1 spells now
>>
>>47863705
In the early stages they're probably the weakest of the four. Their channel divinity options don't stand up particularly well compared to the others, and their spell options are only okay. They really shine at lv7 and up, since Aura of Warding is a fantastic power, and the spells start to get a little more useful from that point onwards.

They're fine at any point, though.
>>
>>47863677
I had a brain fart. Its a Ghost, not a Specter.
>>
>there I am
>playing my first D&D
>Tiefling Bard
>We get to the tower
>Crazy wizard is about to sacrifice NPC boy
>Party ready to flip its shit

>But I'm a tiefling

>"you guys wait"

>Cast Thaumaturgy
>Go Hellmode and just walk right in
>Warlock goes "WHO DARES DEFY THIS HOLY RITUAL?"
>I go "uuuh... I DO?"
>DM is squinting at me
>thismotherfucker.jpg
>about spread me on the floor like a fucking cranberry nutella spread
>Thaumaturgy all out "uuh, IT IS I, FOOL, DEMON LORD OF THE FIRE CHAMBERS, FOUNTAIN OF NETHERFELL, WHOM YOU ARE TRYING TO SUMMON"

>DM rolls his eyes
>"roll"
>hesabouttokickmyass
>it's an eighteen
>plus proficencies
>DM goes "goddamn it"
>Warlock goes "MY LORD! WE ARE NOT WORTHY! KNEEEEEEEEEEEEL YOU FOOLS, KNEEL BEFORE OUR LORD"
>draw a blank
>party looks at me like I'm retarded
>I feel retarded
>"uuh, Y-YES, YES, KNEEL. YOU PEONS DARE SACRIFICE THIS VIRGIN NOW? AT THE EVE OF OUR uuuh, ASTROLOGICAL uu ALIGNMENT? YOU'D (shitshitshit) DAMAGE MY NAME IN THE WASTE OF SUCH POWER? SERVANT, TAKE THIS WRETCH AWAY, I SHALL CONSUME IT MYSELF"
>DM sighs. They're all kneeling on the floor crapping their pants .
>Might as well go for broke
>WHERE IS THE REST?
>"The rest, my lord?"
>"YES.. AHUM, BRING FORTH, THE TRIBUTE. THE OFFERINGS OF GOLD AND SUCHNOT"
>"OF COURSE, OF COURSE, HERE MY LORD, TAKE ALL WE HAVE"
>+500 GP
>"uuh, THAN--"
>party looks at me like I'm about to shit the bed
>"Thaaaank YOUR STARS I AM FEELING MERCIFUL"
>guys lets get the fuck out
>No, lets kill him
>really?
>really?
>Dragonborn fighter aproaches the warlock
>whipsers "you are unworthy" chops boss's head off in one blow
>he nabs the body and fucks off
> party fucks off and leaves me there alone with the acolytes
>uuuh "NOW, STAY HERE, AND AHUM, RECITE TO ME FIFTY VERSES OF HAIL SATANIC MARY, AND TWELVE OUR FATHERS, AND UH, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE"
>plebs are still shitting theirs pants
>we fuck off from the warlock's tower as fast we can
>DM is cracking up too now

I love this game
>>
>>47863577
Ok here it goes.

1) Remove Curse is your best friend here, a level 3 spell for Clerics, Paladins, Warlocks, and Wizards. Spells like the -1 Dex remind me of Bestow Curse, and Remove Curse can clear that up real quick. May take multiple uses to clear up ALL the curses. Either cozy up to that cleric who can learn it for a day once they reach 5, or make it a goal to find a high ranking cleric in a major city. Hiring out casters usually includes a fee plus the cost of the material components, but remove curse doesn't have any, so a flat fee.

2) I'm not familiar with the gunslinger class from Matt Mercer but if it's anything like a ranger I will mention the hunter's Mark, d6 on hit damage. But the ranger has no cantrips, so instead go Warlock and get Hex, which does the same thing. Then you can get Eldritch blast and some other good cantrip. But if you really really want mending, go wizard to get utility.

3) Hire a caster or get the identify spell with Wizard.
>>
>>47863807
Oh wow, I didn't know Ghosts could do that. Spooky. Definitely going to have to run undeads now. Thanks.
>>
>>47863705
their aura is near op but unless you have shit to charm, or dip into cleric, channel divinity is shit.
honestly though, its my favorite "nature" class, since druid is either roar or wizard, ranger is meh, and shaleligh cleric is too specialized and boring
>>
>>47863818
Welcome to tabletop, where bullshit can work if you roll high enough.
>>
>>47863844
It's tough for it to trigger; the target has to fail the saving throw, AND fail it by 5 or more.

Unfortunately for the bard, she rolled nothing higher than a 5 (+0 CON mod).

And, yes, Undead are my favorite monsters.
>>
>>47858642
>Race: Variant Human

New record for how quickly I exited out of an image.
>>
>>47863866
Err, fuck me sideways, Jesus. I just can't type or think today. Yay for painkillers!

She has a +0 WIS mod. She has a +0 CON mod, too, but that's neither here nor there.

It's odd. This poor girl's characters seem to rotate luck. Her other character, in my other game, got lucky and got a legendary magic item the day after her bard got aged to geriatric age.
>>
>>47863866
I realised a few days ago that I've never ran a whole lotta undeads. They're so fucking cool, especially in 5e, though.

What's the best way to do it in your opinion? I'm a bit worried that you can go overboard and end up being boring with it. You can't really sprinkle just a few zombies, but you don't want the PCs to sigh and go "there we go again" at the first spectral-jack-in-the-wall either.

Tell me your secrets master
>>
>>47863822
Gunslinger is a fighter archtype.
The reason I don't wanna take another class for leveling is because that 8 attacks with a gun that shits out longer range eldritch blasts as my starting weapon is too much to pass up.

The reason I want mending is because low rolls take my guns out of commission until I blow half the cost it took to make the gun (pistols take 250gp to make), which mending makes free.

My end goal is to make sweet sweet love with the cleric. She's a total qt.
>>
>>47863931

Gunslinger is a Ranger archetype, actually
>>
>>47863931
Then go for the Wizard Magic Initiate, take identify, and wait for your qt3.14healer gf to remove yor curses.
>>
>>47863980
this is the thing that anon is using
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 850x454) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 850x454
>>47863931
T-thanks Hiro
pic related is my gunslinger. If anyone has the full, higher resolution version of this it'd be spectacular.
>>
>>47863980
The Mercer homebrew is a fighter archetype
>>
>>47864005

shit, this is pretty cool. I'm new at this, is there a link for more ?
>>
>>47864040
Straight up it's your fighter Archtype.
Like champion or battlemaster.
All you need is right there plus the normal fighter shit in the PHB.
>>
>>47864040
That's the whole thing, he also made some other stuff though, up at DMsGuild:
http://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?author=Matthew%20Mercer
>>
>>47864005
>Firearms
>Crafted
>They don't have a price, and therefore cannot be crafted
>>
>>47864040
>>47864070
>>47864071
as others have said gunslinger is a fighter archetype

for homebrew most everything from http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/ is alright
>>
>>47864108
what are you on about?
>>
>>47864108
It's more a "ask your DM how much shooting a fucker with two great axes at 1200 feet would cost to craft" kinda deal.
>>
>>47864071

thanks. I can't pay for shit online, but I don't wanna bring down his average contribution value.

I guess I'm gonna wait and see
>>
>>47864127
Crafting in 5e is based on the total cost of the item. The time it takes in days is the cost divided by five.
>>
>>47864170
>I don't wanna bring down his average contribution value.
wat
>>
Name 3 of the best official D&D settings to run a 5e game with

>Greyhawk
>Birthright
>Ravenloft

Now name 3 of the worst

>Spelljammer
>Eberron
>Dark Sun

What's your opinion?
>>
>>47864216
Whats so good about Ravenloft ?
>>
File: 1464999120336.jpg (106 KB, 636x605) Image search: [Google]
1464999120336.jpg
106 KB, 636x605
>>47864005
Guess I have to be the one to point out that Matthew Mercer is the voice of McCree in Overrwatch

>Mercer wrote homebrew so he could play his own OW character in 5e

IT'S
HIGH
NOON
>>
>>47864228
It runs well with 5e low-magic ruleset.
>>
>>47864189

It's a "pay what you want" affair, that indicates the average value people have paid.
If I pay 0, the average value goes down, and so does the implied contribution
>>
>>47859792
The battlemaster in my game basically just stands around trying to make dialogue banter while our party of casters destroys every out of combat scenario. He can't really do anything mechanically. He doesn't complain about it because he's chill and fine with whatever he's playing, but I can see it every session.
As >>47859971 said, this is just a really common occurrence.
>>
>>47864243
Actually, Mercer made Gunslinger because one of his party (Talesin Jaffe, to be exact) played a gunslinger in pathfinder before they moved systems.
Then they started making a podcast series.
THEN, over a year after the podcast started, Overwatch happened.
>>
>>47864216
If anything I like Eberron even more now that 5e killed off the magic item shop. The dragonmarked houses go beyond being merely just useful to actual power players you really don't want to piss off.
>>
File: 1464239116616.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1464239116616.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
>>47864277
Ah. Still kind of funny things worked out how they did
>>
>>47864263
Free downloads of pay-what-you-want don't count toward the average contribution. I know because I have pay-what-you-want titles on DMs Guild.
>>
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 372x619) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 372x619
>>47864324
The first time I pulled and action surge I cranked out 20 damage in a single turn, as a level three. Everyone started shouting about it was High Noon, when my guy is supposed to be based on a musketeer.
>>
File: 1466382672988.jpg (225 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1466382672988.jpg
225 KB, 1024x768
>>47864296
>>47864296
The ruleset didn't really jive that well for my Eberron campaign. I wonder if there's a 5e Modern hack?

My players and I are creating a campaign using Microscope and it's starting to look like pic related.
>>
>>47863822
As for Remove Curse, the DM has stated it was specifically caused by a cast of divine intervention, so I have no idea if it even is a curse.
Lesser restoration on the sword caused physical harm to the cleric though.
>>
>>47864411
>I wonder if there's a 5e Modern hack?
I saw someone working on a Strong Hero a while back but they only posted it in one or two threads. Which is a shame, because I think archetypes differentiating more generalist heroes of that type would work way better in 5e than 3.5e's prestige class stuff.
>>
So I want to play a magebreaker in my next game

Any preferred / go to builds out there, or should I just go full Abjuration mage?
>>
>>47864372
How even? Don't you need to reload?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (186 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
186 KB, 1920x1080
>>47864411
I'm running this with 5e, not even remotely sorry.
>>
>>47864468
Do you mean anti-caster?
>>
>>47864591

More or less, yeah. I don't mean to be a dick, I just want to play around with a Ghostbuster type, for mages
>>
>>47863818
This- oh man. This is beautiful.
>>
>>47864468
Were you hoping to be a spellcaster or a martial character?

For a spellcaster, Abjuration Wizard is probably your best bet. It gets lots of options to protect its allies, and it's the best at spells like Counterspell and Dispel Magic, which'll both be useful for locking down enemy spellcasters and making sure they're completely useless.

For a martial it becomes a little more complex. Consider a Battlemaster Fighter, if only for the additional feats. Mage Slayer is a good feat for disabling spellcasters, and you may want to consider Shield Master and the Resilient feat for keeping yourself protected from the spells of enemy casters.
>>
File: 1464216512288.jpg (91 KB, 736x1040) Image search: [Google]
1464216512288.jpg
91 KB, 736x1040
>>47864243
>>47864277
>>47864324
>>47864372
next time i get to be a PC i'm gonna try and be a gunslinger and basically just be mcree

I just wanna tell everyone the time whenever I take my action surge and unload
>>
>>47864613
If you want to go caster, abjuration is the way to go thanks to all its defense, half-caster will go to Oath of the Ancients Paladin at level 7, and full martial is probably Path of the Bear Barbarian, for resisting fireballs and all that.

Some feats are Mage Slayer of course, lets you just kick the teeth in of anyone who even thinks of casting spells, and their concentration saves are at disadvantage. Resilient would be nice for Wisdom/Dex/Charisma saving throws, but that's a bit much.
>>
>>47863520
Bump
>>
>>47864736

Yeah, I'm going spell caster. Thanks
>>
speaking about the mercer gunslinger, do firearms add your dex modifier to damage or something or what?
>>
File: tumblr_o1p5yrjny11qdvrdyo1_1280.jpg (204 KB, 1280x733) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1p5yrjny11qdvrdyo1_1280.jpg
204 KB, 1280x733
Relative newbie to 5e. Thinking about making a 'pyromancer' char. Basically just someone who can produce copious amounts of flames and can burn and explode shit as much as possible.

Any recommendations for maximum destruction?
>>
>>47864661
Start as fighter for equipment, save proficiencies, a good weapon and a shield. I would go for a reach weapon personally. You could also go for paladin if you want, but i personally hate multiclassing casters.

Immediately after that, take levels in abjuration wizard. Level two and on, basically.

War Caster, Mage Slayer, Shield Master will be your desired feats.

Like this, you:

Have high AC from heavy armor that you can wear without interfering with spellcasting

A shield you can use to completely block spell effects and can use without interfering with spellcasting

An always present magical shield that regenerates what is basically temp hp when you cast an abjuration spell (Can just ritual cast Alarm constantly out of combat to fully regen it)

Really good counterspell and dispel magic

A based martial weapon to do damage with

All the immense power and utility of a wizard

Congrats, you are now an ultimate anticaster tank, counterspelling, dispel magicking, remove cursing, and attacking other casters in a way that imposes disadvantage on their con checks
>>
>>47864826
Sorcerer. Evocation spells that do fire damage out the ass. Not much in the way of a 'pyromancer' archetype, because picking all fire-themed spells leaves you with plenty left over.
>>
>>47864826
Draconic bloodline sorcerer is best for blasting with a single element.
>>
>>47864216
Best
>Eberron
>Dark Sun
>Ravenloft

Worst
>Forgotten Realms
>Dragonlance, because Kenders
>meh, I don't care, even Kenders don't sucks as much as FR. Greyhawk for being generic and boring?
>>
>>47864779
Oh yeah, and if you are sick and tired of being a wizard, the Nature Cleric can half elemental damage on reaction at level 6.

Druids get some great spells to defend against other spells, not bringing up wild shape temporary health, but it's there. And a few races get resistances to magical damage.
>>
>>47864826

Sorcerer.

You should pick up spells that don't do fire damage though, because it's the element with the most resistances/immunities in the game.
>>
>>47864826
A dragonborn sorcerer, or if you want to literally be on fire you can look up the Elemental Evil and be an Evocation Wizard Fire Genasi.
>>
>>47864858
>>47864860
Right, so there's no like 'final light' (think it's called something like that) kinds spells where you can just Nike the fuck out of someone? Just a bunch of summoning flames?
>>
File: C4.png (1 MB, 2550x2317) Image search: [Google]
C4.png
1 MB, 2550x2317
>>47859033
Yea, OOTS comics using Inkscape
>>
>>47864915
Your go to spell is gonna be fireball at level 5, that's going to be your huge spike in fire damage.
>>
>>47864915
Fucking auto correct. *kinda *Nuke
>>
>>47864540
DM wouldn't let me have a musket to start out despite the barbarian having a greateaxe right off the bat.
So I did it with a pistol.
>>
>>47864826
There are a few ways to do it. The simplest though;

Warlock with the Fiend patron. Spewing demonic flames like it's going out of fashion.
Cleric with the Light domain. Spewing holy flames like it's going out of fashion.
Sorcerer with the Draconic bloodline (red, gold, or brass dragon). Spewing draconic flames like it's going out of fashion.
Wizard with the Evocation specialisation. Spewing arcane flames like it's going out of fashion.

There are other ways to do it, but with these it's kind of hard to fuck up a pyromancer since they're all designed to fill that roll. From then on it depends on where you want to go with it. Warlock will dabble in other demonic powers to give them a lot of passive bonuses. Cleric'll have access to a lot of healing and support options for those times when you don't want to completely obliterate something. Sorcerer'll probably be the best blaster of the bunch, since you gain an increase to your fire damage anyway, and you can use the Sorcerer's metamagic ability to make them harder to resist or deal more damage. Wizard'll be a little more graceful with their magic than the Sorcerer will be, and will have access to far more spells than the Sorcerer would that don't involve copious amounts of burning.

I'd rank them Sorcerer > Wizard > Warlock > Cleric in order of "what burns things best", but they can all do it easily.
>>
>>47865097
Hmmm sorc sounding the best. Flicking through the spell book looks like wall of flame and flammable gas or whatever its called seems pretty cool.

What late game fun can I look forwards to with sorc?

Thanks for the help btw
>>
>>47865188
>>47865097
Although Im not gonna lie a completely mad cleric who thinks he has to purge the world, full 40k ecclesiarchy style sounds fun
>>
How exactly do you get out of an engulf of a shambling mound?

Can you still get out of the grapple with an athletics/acrobatics check, or are you still blinded and restrained even after you got out of the grapple?
>>
>>47865214
The effect ends with the successful athletics check. The engulf ability cannot exist without the target being grappled, so it would end.

Imagine enguld not as an action but just a bonus against grappled enemies, once the grapple ends you are free.
>>
Anybody got any Arcane Trickster stories or tips? I just hit level 3 Rogue and I'm looking for any edge I might be missing. I've been looking over my spell choices and I seem to remember it being better when I first came up with this character way back when.
>>
>>47865458
What level is your arcane trickster?
>>
>>47865529

>I just hit level 3

My powers of deduction lead me to believe that this Rogue is level 3.
>>
>>47861125
does the rakish audacity ability add up your cha and dex for initiative? we've been using it as you choose the higest
>>
>>47865188
>>47865213
Cleric's pretty great. It's probably my favourite class, so setting the world ablaze with holy flame is awfully fun sounding, even if I've never done it myself.

Well, at the late game you'll have a whole slew of neat abilities. The draconic bloodline gives you more HP and AC than most dedicated spellcasters will have, and will eventually culminate in having a pair of dragon wings all your own, and the ability to radiate an aura that'll either make enemies cower in fear or worship you in awe. You'll have a selection of six metamagic options to choose from to modify your spells by extending their range, excluding areas from the effect to make sure you don't burn your friends, making the saving throws more difficult for enemies to succeed on, or increasing their duration. If you're looking for a neat way to buff your allies alongside all the fireballs you'll be throwing, the Twinned Spell metamagic pairs very well with the Haste spell. As far as spells go, the late-game ones get positively ridiculous. Meteor Swarm, which is a spell of the highest level a Sorcerer can learn, deals 20d6 fire damage and 20d6 bludgeoning damage over a 40ft radius sphere, so you'll be able to hurl ridiculously high amounts of damage over a huge area, and because Sorcerers can turn their sorcerery points into new spell slots, if you wanted, you could use them all to make more 9th level spell slots and just keep throwing out Meteor Swarm every turn.

You'll burn out incredibly quickly, but you'll have dealt enough damage to topple entire kingdoms in that time.

If you're considering feats, Elemental Adept (Fire) and Warcaster might be useful. Elemental Adept lets you pick one type of elemental damage, and any damage you deal with that type will ignore an enemy's resistance to that type which helps if you come up against something that resists fire damage, and lets you treat any 1s rolled on damage dice as 2s, to increase the minimum damage a litttle.
>>
>>47863822
>ranger magic initiate
Anon I think you're mistaken
>>
>>47865458
one of my players is an arcane trickster, I kinda hate arcane tricksters

you can disarm any trap or etc that you spot from 30ft away 100% safe. you can pickpocket people all day for no risk at all

you can borderline abuse booming blade to lock down an enemy and run the fuck away from it with cunning action and potentially do huge damage.. booming blade at level 5 becomes 1d8 on the initial strike and then the enemy takes 2d8 if they move before your next turn. If you're using a rapier at level 5, that's 1d8+dex + 1d8 + 2d8 if they move + sneaky strike damage

you want minor illusion too, some "oh shit I just got caught sneaking around" spell like sleep, maybe disguise self for infiltration.

alot you can do as a arcane trickster

>>47865576
uh yea that's the point of it my dude
>>
>>47865581
And Warcaster gives you advantage on constitution saves to maintain concentration on spells, which is very useful (and since Sorcerers have proficiency in constitution saves you'll be passing the check more often than not), and lets you cast cantrips as reactions as one would an attack of opportunity, which is a nice way to hit someone who tries to run.
>>
>>47863577
Go Magic Initiate Wizard. Get Mending, Identify and a cantrip of your choice, I'd recommend one that doesn't require a spell attack or saving throw. Light, Mage Hand and Prestidigitation are all good utility cantrips. Blade Ward and Booming Blade could be useful if you ever find yourself in a situation like, say, running from a mob with your gun(s) broken. Message would be good for making your Cleric wet without the others knowing.
>>
>>47865576
What the fuck? What led you to believe that?
>>
>>47865614
What would be a good level to take magic initiate, by the way?
As a fighter I get shitloads of oppritunites to get feats, but the DM, as noted, loves fucking me over at any chance I get.
I wanna spend level 4 getting my stats back in check at least, if not pumping up DEX and WIS at the same go to get my cool shit rolling,
But after that the only thing I definitely know I wanna take is MI and Lucky.
And maybe crossbow mastery.
>>
>>47865553
An excellent deduction indeed

>>47865458
Making major usage of that Mage Hand is important, causing distractions, pick pocketing safely, and general chaos can do lots of things. Always keeping an eye out on when to use it is crucial.

Your spell choice relies on how much intelligence you have, how much do you have?
>>
>>47865595
Yeah I know, that's why I suggested Hex Warlock instead m8.
>>
>>47865730
The only thing I'm iffy on warlock magic initiate is that the only reasonable patrons he'd have are the demons who probably razed his hometown
And the god who cursed him, and frankly the less I have to deal with the fuckhead who cut my stats on my first session of 5e the better.
And DM told me if I take magic initiate I HAVE to follow class flavor to a degree, so warlock powers I can't just pull out of my ass.
Cleric I'd need to have a commune with Pelor.
Wizard and sorcerer would involve obtaining the spark of magic or some shit
And Druid makes sense because the man who saved his life was one.
>>
>>47865689
Level 6 will be your big decision, magic initiate especially as a wizard with utility is good the more you can use it. Lucky is great too cause it can keep you alive and rolling well, just be mindful that at level 8 everyone will be getting 20 in their primary stat, and the next time you get another ASI is 10.

Get MI at 6 in my opinion, or 4 if you don't think the campaign will be that hard.
>>
>>47865529
>>47865553

I am level 5. Rogue 3/Cleric 2. Going for Arcane Trickster + Trickery Domain Cleric. I've got 16 Int and 14 Wis. I was originally thinking of going more Rogue than Cleric, but looking at my spell choices again, I think I would better serve my party going more Cleric than Rogue.
>>
File: image.jpg (152 KB, 900x744) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152 KB, 900x744
>>47865827
>level 8 everyone will have 20 in their main stat
I fucking wish
I'm stuck at 15 DEX until I can cut this curse, we were all told to stick with standard array, and almost the entire party is variant humans.
>>
>>47865821
Fey can be pretty approachable in my opinion, they are more naturey, and they probably could pick anyone to do their bidding in turn for power, anyone including you.
>>
>>47865833

MAD as fuck bro. Arcane Trickster is pretty awesome but if you want to focus on that then you really should bump up your Int or your illusions will be really easy to see through.

If you want to just focus on Dex/Wis, maybe try the Inquisitive from the Unearthed Arcana. If your DM lets you use that the benefits don't seem too bad. Arcane Trickster is pretty great though. Their spells really compliment the Rogue's natural kit well, and invisible mage hand is always a good time. The fact that it gurantees advantage at level 14 is nice too.
>>
>>47865873
Well at level 5 is when remove curse comes up, unless the spell is too powerful. i would say takin care of that sooner than level 5 is more important, see if you can find a local healer, they might be able to point you in the right direction.
>>
>>47865903

I managed to get around the MAD in part due to my DM's decision to allow us 30 point buy with Sanity as an added ability score, and due to taking normal human. +7 stats down the line was pretty good, before any ASI's I'm sitting on 9 Str, 16 Dex, 12 Con, 16 Int, 14 Wis, 12 Cha and 10 San. I do wish my Con were higher, but thankfully, one of our random encounters ended up dropping a Shield +1 which I happily took.
>>
>>47865895
Also due to PTSD and general fear of hurting people with guns, I made my 8 in CHA, which makes warlock an even weirder choice.
Trust me, I wanna do this too, but I don't wanna get picked apart for being a Percy clone by the one guy who watches Critical Role too
>>
>>47865701

I always thought "Arcane Trickster" was a terrible name for a magic rogue. Tricksters should be like, a form of Satire Bards, with most of the play based around RP with some illusions, some enchanting, some shapeshifting and a bunch of conjuring.
>>
>>47865953
Yeah then your Wizard MI sounds like your best bet.
>>
>>47865952

You still don't have the ASIs to either get some great feats or your two spell casting stats to 20. It's important for your Int, probably more so, because it'll determine whether or not people can see through your illusions.
>>
>>47865943
Well, I don't gotta worry about the curse too horribly right now, as my sole purpose for traveling with the party is "you clear my curse and I'll take you wherever you wanna go" and he doesn't know enough about clerics to understand that it doesn't take a long time for them to ask for a spell like that of their god.
plus attraction to the qt cleric is a good enough driving force for sticking with the party
>>
>>47864915
>where you can just Nike the fuck out of someone
if you want to kick that much, be a monk not a sorcerer
>>
You guys DO roll initiative every round, right? That's how it's meant to be done, you know. Otherwise you just end up with the first round mattering, and none of the rest mattering.
>>
>>47866109
No because thats insane
>>
>>47865993
Well alright.
Sounds like a good time to become the master of magic!
at 11 int oh god help me

and the DM has decided that 7 members in the same party makes combat too long, so now he wants to split a party consisting of
>Paladin who all signs Point to Oathbreaker who hates the bard
>Barbarian who hates the Gunslinger
>innocent flower cleric
>dickass lesbian bow rogue
>eldritch knight who might as well not even be part of the party
>bard who wants to fug everything Including his Slimegirl girlfriend
>and PTSD Gunslinger
Right down the middle. Send help
>>
>>47865997

I'll be picking up Minor Illusion later, but that's neither here nor there. The only real illusion that would need to be seen through that I'm gonna have access to for a while is Silent Image, and that's part of the conundrum I'm having. I've got Charm Person and Disguise Self from my Trickery Domain, so I ended up taking Color Spray, Shield and Tasha's Hideous Laughter. I'm not really sure that Silent Image is worth taking to be honest. I've been looking at Color Spray again and again, and I can't remember why I wanted to take this spell. Both it and Sleep are probably never going to actually hit anyone. Level 2 isn't much better, as I'll, once again, be getting Mirror Image from Trickery Domain, and it offers an Invisibility ability without needing a spell slot. Obviously I'll pick up Hold Person and Suggestion, but I'll still need to pick up another level 1 spell and, if I go further in Rogue, another level 2 spell, but I'm not sure which ones to take.
>>
>>47865598
>you can disarm any trap or etc that you spot from 30ft away 100% safe. you can pickpocket people all day for no risk at all
flooding, gas, or aoe based traps easily go over 30 feet, and can fuck over the entire party if they've gotten too lax about him and traps. and guard dogs can easily be posted so that while they may not see, or possibly even hear the rogue, they could smell him if he takes too much time doing anything
>>
File: remains same.jpg (20 KB, 466x117) Image search: [Google]
remains same.jpg
20 KB, 466x117
>>47866109
>The initiative order remains the same from round to round

Nice meme
>>
>>47866125
>Have 15 init mod
>Doesn't matter after first round
>>
>>47866147

I actually unintentionally detonated a fireball trap on my party last night due to my character's habit of clowning around. They were not happy with me. We still killed the dragon though.
>>
>>47866109
If it's meant to be that way then Battlemasters and Monks become beyond amazing later on.

At level 15 when a Battlemaster fighter rolls initiative and have no superiority dice, they gain 1 superiority die. That means unlimited Menacing Attacks.

At level 20 Monks get 4 ki when they roll initiative without any ki left. That means constant quivering palms and flurry of blows.
>>
>>47866186
They should be.
It'll destroy a bit of the caster martial disparity.
>>
>>47866186
See >>47866154

It isn't meant to be that way.
He's either rusing or retarded
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.