[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chaos Cultists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2
File: archon-dave-kendall.jpg (177 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
archon-dave-kendall.jpg
177 KB, 800x1200
help teegee, how can i rp a chaos cultist wich isn't a complete edgylord? i mean no "SKAALS FOR DA SKALLS THRONE" nor "YEEEE MURDERFUCKING FOR PLEASURE YEEEEE", i'm looking for a good way to do it, something that people can relate to, understand, things that may make sense and drive someone into corruption. Any type of help is welcome
also i'm going to play a kind of solo campaign inside a hive city.
>>
>>47852393
>isn't a complete edgylord
But why do you care about that? Just be a chaos cultist.
>>
>>47852393
Don't worship Khorne or Slaanesh and you should be fine.
>>
>>47852393
Just have your character like.. Do the right thing man.
>>
>>47852393
If you have DH2 Enemies Within book, take a look at a cult roll tables in it, to find some possible types of people and motives to join such cults. If you don't, 1d4 chan took those creation tables and somewhat developed on them, you can see it here. https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Heretical_Cult_Creation_Tables

Tell us more about the type of cultist you're going to play? Is he a rank-and-file member of the cult? One of the higher ups? A leader? what will be your job in the cult?
>>
>>47852393
Don't do whatever an edgelord does. Do whatever a Chaos Cultist does.
>>
>>47852393
Maybe a freedom fighter with a warped view? I know a lot of the Imperium is very strict and stuff. Makes the freedom chaos offers more alluring or something.
>>
>>47852500
you know that the same problem still applies to nurgle and tzeentch, right?

>>47852492
for the first time in years i'm getting the opportunity to rp as i just got out of my country military and i want to make a character not a stereotype murderhobo nor something unreasonable. I know 40k well enought to know that the local humans from a random hive world don't even know what the hell the warp is and so the influence of chaos aproaches them as part of common acts and a way to improve yourself, to be better, to live better, live longer with a less painfull life

>>47852545
thanks anon, i completely forgot about that as the gm is planning to use GURPS to run the universe. I have yet to write and elaborate who he, or she, is. It will definitively be from the lower classes as i got only a handfull of points(50/-25) to work with so i'm thinking about mid to low, possibly even underhive

>>47852568
a chaos cultist is a very open concept and thats why i'm asking for help
>>
>>47852590
this would be hard to pull off on the hives environment, desu it's basically out of place as half the hive is a struggling worker and the other half is part of the huge criminal class, but still, thanks for trying to help me anon.
>>
>>47852590
>Freedom fighter vs the oppressive Imperium

That sounds good. Alternatively you could play him as a ruthless power monger, always out to improve his standing and influence, to the detriment of all other things, clawing his way up the ranks, gaining more and more favour from his god.

Or he could slavish serving his patron god, seeking only it's approval in all things, a complete zealot, not stupid or ignorant, just prioritizing the will of his god above all other things. There is a lyric in a Christian worship song that says, essentially, 'only let me walk where you lead, only let me speak words you tell me to say, let my hands do nothing that doesn't glorify you'. If you apply that level of dedication and single-mindedness to a character, you could get something interesting, I reckon.
>>
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Give your cultist a legitimately admirable goal, but have their viewpoint twisted and skewed by the corrupting forces they worship. For example, I once played a Slaaneshi Heretek whose goal was to let people reach their potential as human beings by having them experience life without the soul crushing grind that is life on an Imperial world. This goal resulted in a hive-city-wide rave/orgy that went completely out of control and opened rifts into the warp. Suffice to say, it didn't end well.
>>
>>47852619
Nah, that's perfect. The hive would paint you as an anarchist, but you just want the freedom from the man. Ties with the criminal classes, but you want to free everyone from their oppressive masters and you'll do some awful things to make it happen.
>>
>>47852619
Then maybe he/she was part of the worker class and wanted some of the fun Slannesh offered? Remember, Slannesh isn't all sex. Drugs, art, music, creativity, and all that is part of Slannesh as well.
Alternatively, the cultist could be one of the criminal class and saw chaos as a way to improve his ranking or start his own crime group.
>>
I'd imagine that most Chaos Cultists start out as disenfranchised citizens of the Imperium, and there are enough reasons for plenty of them to exist. We're talking about a hodgepodge of the cruelest and authoritarian regimes ever to exist on earth, all put into a blender and set to 40,000. Anything that might help a person escape (or simply tolerate) the the Kafkaesque drudgery and oppression of daily life would be attractive, no psychopathy required. To some, that little slice of freedom might mean finally being strong enough to pulverize that Arbites officer who likes to kick your uncle in the ribs and fondle your sister. Or giving those weird mind powers of yours a big enough boost to make that Imperial Offical a bit more generous with his belongings. Maybe your 'prowess' being the talk of the town is more your fancy, opening up limitless possibilities of social elevation and celebrity. Or, you could just want the horrors of life to suddenly stop hurting you as much as it did, wrapping yourself in an armor mad made of comfortable despair. An particularly ambitious enough soul might strive for all of these things at once.

These are the roads to Chaos, and they are wider than the uninitiated might think. Much more welcoming than the fanatical self-denial of the Imperial Way, at least at first.
>>
>>47852626
we are talking about a hive environment so no one don't even know what "chaos" is, like so the idea of someone who don't just know what chaos is but a god name and even more; he is trying to achive favor with this god looks kind of ludicrous for a random crimelord from the underhive
>>
>>47852688
also remember that the chaos gods are much more than the evil parts, nurgle for example is the representation of life and rebirth so any cult devoted to health and/or life with simbolic rituals to get a health son and the like will inevitably be worshiping nurgle and be corrupted by him with the new sight as the time passes
>>
>>47852619
On the contrary. Where else do people want to fight for freedom if not amidst oppression? OP's cult may be a militant organisation with it's own stock of actually good weapons and supplies, that keeps it's members in harsh discipline and actually trains them to be (relatively) good fighters. They may be blatant anti-Imperium hive partisans that promise release from the Emperor's yoke and may look even capable to changing something but actually just try to cause as much destruction as possible.

OP's character in such organisation could be one of the recruiters, whose job is to lure people into their organisation, promising them the ability to decide something in your life for yourself, for once, instead of obeying regulations from the upper hive, to make a difference, or to basically matter.
>>
>how to play a chaos cultist that isn't an edgelord

>Khorne: ex-soldier who was prone to killing more of the enemy than is necessary, even risking his own men and likely resulting in his removal from service

>Slaanesh: obsessive blademaster whose form must be absolutely perfect, although in his eyes it's not he's actually a terrifyingly good swordsman to anyone else
>>
>>47852734
>>47852682
yeah, i can understand and see the possibilities now, i was blind by the imperial title of criminal over those who don't follow its order. I will try to come up with something on the next hour or so and stick to the thread to see if someone else got more tips or ideas
>>
>>47852734
>>47852759
On this note, remember that the Chaos Gods go by many names, and will have many aspects.

>>47852685
Slaanesh is excess. Drugs, etc. will do it, but so will pursuit of perfection in any craft, overindulgence in anything,

>>47852688
This guy is on the right track. A Khornate cult could be a proud warrior society with a lucky patron or a pack of Bezerkers who worship violent death. Equally though, they could be freedom fighters, who pick an unfortunate mark as a symbol for resistance; over time they become more violent and extreme in their methods because they're hardened to the evils of the IoM and will do *anything* to escape them.
>>
>>47852393
You can't, chaos is edgy by nature, if you want a reasonable character of an unreasonable concept you have to make that character understand chaos wrong.

Like a nurgle cultist believing to have found a way to fight the corruption of the world by forced growth and adaptation, yet incapable of getting that it would result in another vicious circle.
Or a mage thinking the guidance of tzeentch can be wise or have a good end, blind in its hope of the malignancy of the god.
>>
>>47852868
But anon, that's exactly how people get corrupted. No one really understands or knows anything about the warp it self. What we know about the warp and the warp, how it works and the 4 gods isn't common knowledge
btw most of it is a absolute secret, things like one dude knowing what is the warp or the powers of chaos is enough for the inquisition to purge the entire planet
>>
>>47852393
Pretty easy. Just don't worship corpses and carry a pistol around to protect yourself from nosy inquisitorial acolytes.
>>
>>47852910
>btw most of it is a absolute secret, things like one dude knowing what is the warp or the powers of chaos is enough for the inquisition to purge the entire planet

That's an exaggeration straight from the memespace.
>>
>>47852759
>i was blind by the imperial title of criminal over those who don't follow its order
I hope you realize this doesn't just apply to derpy sci-fi settings.
>>
>>47852720
This, people always overemphasize the 'evil' aspects of chaos, making it hard to sympathize with cultists, when they forget that chaos also represents desirable things such as knowledge, honor, affirmation of life or freedom

I imagine that it's implied all the actually insanely zealous cultists who lost their souls to the warp start out with one of these things, gradually getting sucked in deeper into chaos
>>
>>47852980
>This, people always overemphasize the 'evil' aspects of chaos, making it hard to sympathize with cultists, when they forget that chaos also represents desirable things such as knowledge, honor, affirmation of life or freedom

From my experience people tend to do the exact opposite - overemphasize the good aspects of Chaos, which are virtually nonexistant in 40k Chaos.

Chaos gods are forces who want to murderfuck - both literally and figuratively - the whole existence. So if you're going to play a chaos cultist who willingly corrupts people, you have to accept that your character is going to be pretty fucking evil.

Also,
>You can't, chaos is edgy by nature,

This is true. So, instead of avoing being "edgy" you should avoid being "obnoxious".
>>
Chaos is always going to be edgy, eventually.

If someone is Chaos related and not yet edgy and horrible, then they haven't been hanging around chaos for very long.
>>
Just be an overzealous union leader, but offering up sacrifices to the chaos gods for success in protecting your coworkers
>>
I'd like to play a nurgle cultist that is pretty much just the Dude from Big Lebowski
>>
>>47852393
You could play some sort of noble with a habit of challenging people to duels for the slightest insults. This is of course to cover up for the fact that he loves Khorne and needs to kill.

>Maybe he wears a ruffle collar around his neck to cover his brass collar of Khorne which he is unable to remove?
>>
Try something like the Cthulhu mythos, a cult with little to no information, with people trying to hide its purpose. A man thats a normal person at glance, but little by little he discovers powers beyond the curtain.
>>
>>47855828
I'd do a Nurgle cult as a 40k version of a cavaclade of Nurgle from fantasy. A circus travelling around the major settlements of a system where you really, really should have asked what was in that hot dog.
>>
>>47852393
The nightlords books, septimus was chill and not full retard
>>
>>47852393
a female transmutant xeno rights activist trying to fight the purge culture
>>
>>47852393
Play it like a stereotypical strawman Randian Objectivist Lolbertarian.

Pic related.
>>
>>47852393
You're not a chaos cultist; you're just a member of a Freemason-gang secret society. It's the Imperium that would label you as a chaos cultist.
>>
>>47852393
I had an idea for an Arch-Heretic BBEG for Dark Heresy. A man who travels many worlds, always a step ahead of the Inquisitor investigating him. He holds massive raids where people literally dance with the dead, lured into worship of Slaanesh through apparitions of their loved ones and entrancing music.
>>
>>47852925
yes, it is, but it shows the point and u know that if the general population know that the chaos is real the inquisition will purge the entire planet leaving only a few milions to repopulate, they have done it every single time they fought some manifestation of chaos in a populated world during the heresy
>>
>>47857659
>how to get hunted by the inquisition
>>
>>47852393
A cultist can just have come to resent the imperial creed, after being spiritually and morally frustrated by the things it does and allows. I had a friend do an ex Guardsmen gone Kornate cultist who just had a hate for Space Marines because while Ultrasmurfs were operating on his home world the planet was deemed unclean and the Ultrasmurfs killed everything. A Kornate cultist may just realize that all of the universe is eternally at War and it will be so until someone wins, assuming that she called just to see how pointless and brief everyone's existence is so you might as well enjoy it while you're here. An Imperial scholar may be bitter of knowledge he was denied or Solutions left unexplored because of Imperial Creed, and Tzeench offers him any knowledge she could potentially wish. Papa nurgle just legitimately loves his children and is the most bro and loving of the chaos gods, so I can totally see worshipping him if not for the whole face and dick melting off thing.

Chaos worship has a healthy dose of actual rhetoric and principles, AZ much as they miss align with our own. Worshipping a chaos God can be about worshipping their principles rather than trying to literally or metaphorically just hump that specific God's leg
>>
>>47861442
*a Slanesshi cultist could just see how
>>
I'm back with a concept, is this good enough /tg/?;
Sergei Korolev, my mom said it's the name of a forgotten great engineer from Santa Terra, i'm a metallurgical worker from the low hive and member of a freemen secret society wich zeals for the health of its associates, manly other metallurgical workers. Our leader is a old man that used to be weak and very affected by the age but then he started asking for help to the Great Father Talal, today he is a strong and jovial but started covering his entire body and wearing a mask as a religious symbol after he started a cult to the Great father, cult wich i'm part of. We ask for health and endurance, things much needed for the working common man, and we get so, well, some of us, the faithfull more than the weak minded, and some of us, the chosen by the Great Father get to pass through the great feast after which the faithfull get as tough as bulls and the weak minded die by the most horrendous diseases.
>>
>>47861544
Decent, but what's the public excuse for the leader covering himself?
>>
>>47859134
Pied piper?
It's been done!
>>
>>47861666
well, we are on the lower hive, i don't think he will have much exposure as a old man which don't need to work anymore because the association is a supportive group and if he does need to walk around covered, well, we are a worker association surviving on the lower hive, everyone must have a gun and its not like the police has the power or will to walk around asking for strange things and confront a entire factory worth of hungry, angry and armed dudes
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.