[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you save your campaigns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6
File: behind_the_screen.jpg (131 KB, 1115x719) Image search: [Google]
behind_the_screen.jpg
131 KB, 1115x719
I've been a player to a gm who takes copious notes and have tons of print-outs, and now I've started to gm myself and it got me wondering, how many GMs keep their campaign notes so they can run that campaign again sometime in the future for a different group (or sharing them online)? Currently I feel that it's a 'one and done' kind of thing, but the more work I put into my setting, the more I feel that isn't the case.

so to all the GMs out there, do you keep your campaigns? Do you share them? Or just forget them.
>>
>>47850825
You keep the good, trim the fat. You'll never get an exact copy of a campaign just because the nature of people, but you can take all the parts that definitely were the best and reuse them in different places.
>>
I write whatever happen in my game on my diary but mostly for memories, you know, I want to read that 20 years from now

Never come to me the idea of playing the same campaign with a different group.
>>
File: GM debriefing.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
GM debriefing.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47850825
I try and keep notes, usually I forget. I've started making forms to keep track.

I share scenarios. Whole campaigns need more flexibility, it's hard to write them out. But I tend to share scenarios that don't come directly from the campaigns I'm playing just because those have chapters with very specific conditions and they cater to the characters. For something to put on the web I want to keep it much more flexible.
>>
>>47850825
I'm always stumbling across notes and shit. I used to try and collect it, but now it goes in the bin unless it was part of something memorable (full colour hex maps I drew when I was 12 for my D&D games, some character sheets with neat-looking portraits, etc). I started typing up play reports for friends awhile ago.

If you've got something that your want to preserve, there's a website that takes donations of roleplaying ephemera: The Play Generated Map & Document Archive
http://plagmada.org/Welcome.html
>>
I keep the entire campaign, notes, maps, and other things on a single USB Flashdrive.

At the end of the campaign I surrender the Flashdrive to my players so that they may understand the workings of the campaign they just played.

I have copies of the campaigns in the USB Flashdrives in my Desktop computer so I can replay them with other play groups.

Player actions during the campaign are written in a separate notebook.
>>
I keep the notebook paper sized stuff in a binder and all my locations/npcs/items/monsters on notecards in a card box. They're both fun momentos of great games of the past *and* ready to rock and roll again on a moment's notice.

You'd think re-using them would fuzz up the original memories but the opposite is true. The more I run a setting the better it develops and the better the players like it, which just adds more fun memories to the pile
>>
File: 1442747894914.jpg (83 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
1442747894914.jpg
83 KB, 960x540
My online gaming notes are more like laundry lists in text format.

Mostly figuring out the players last intended action or plan before the session had to end so we can pick up where we left off easier.

For tabletop gaming my notes are complete pictogram rubbish. Indecipherable narrations of character sketches, maps and placenames.

I'm good enough with the handouts and strategic floorplans for players but my side of story preservation needs some discipline.

Then again most of the games I do now on tabletop are one shot pick ups.
>>
File: Camp Wampanoag.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Camp Wampanoag.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>47851666
>>
>>47850825
One of our GMs left an A4 piece of paper of his notes after a one shot session at my house. Apart from some scribbled notes for initiative and hitpoints, the only decipherable text was the words: "Kill [That Guy's Name]"
It's pretty good advice.
>>
>>47852506
Can I have your notes
>>
File: darths0206.jpg (226 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
darths0206.jpg
226 KB, 600x800
>>47859649
>>
>>47850825
I plan to keep notes, maps and I'm gonna record audio on my upcoming campaign. I might take the time and write a transcript of the audio and keep it in a folder.
>>
File: darths0001.jpg (168 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
darths0001.jpg
168 KB, 600x800
>>
>>47850825
When I was younger I had notebooks of campaign notes, all of which have vanished over time. Nowadays I've got scattered docs in random folders all over my PC that have incomprehensible blurbs and NPC stats with no explanation that only made sense at the time.
>>
nostalgia bump
>>
>>47850996
Indeed. I expect that if I tried to run one of my campaigns again, PC choices would cause it to diverge so much in the first or second session that it's not really the same campaign any more.

The only reason that it might avoid diverging in the first session is because I railroad a bit there to get the PCs to meet up and establish themselves as a group.
>>
I use a sandisk mp3 player and record the session. I can listen to it whenever I want.
>>
>>47866197
Audio quality sucks unless you mic every player separately.
>>
I make threads about them on /tg/ and never let them die.
>>
>>47872323
Just like this
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.