[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Elves Should Not Be Leftist Hippies, Elves Should Be Hardcore
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14
File: bloodelf.jpg (114 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
bloodelf.jpg
114 KB, 1280x800
Elves Should Not Be Leftist Hippies, Elves Should Be Hardcore Reactionaries.

check it out /tg/, elves live 1000 years.
>imagine living in a society with people still living from the year 1100. they would be insanely conservative and religious.
>imagine a dude that has had 1000 years to accumulate wealth and power. imagine being a 20 year old trying to complete in the market place with people who have centuries of work experience. society would be extremely stratified by wealth and power and age.
>imagine having the same leaders for almost a millennia. changes to government policies would rarely ever happen. >imagine a society where the average person is 500 years old and is already set in their ways and sees no reason to change anything.
>imagine a society where new generations, with new ideas, are an extreme minority of the population. social changes would almost never happen.

for these reasons, elves should not be the leftist hippy faggots that they are usually portrayed to be. they should be extremely right wing, extremely conservative, and extremely resistant to change and newness, and very authoritarian.

thoughts?
>>
>>47845065
They are very set in their ways. It's just that for elves, "traditional values" are stuff bisexual three-way marriages and worshipping tree ancestors.
>>
File: elf.jpg (147 KB, 1000x736) Image search: [Google]
elf.jpg
147 KB, 1000x736
elf art bump
>>
>"traditional values" are stuff bisexual three-way marriages and worshipping tree ancestors.
Am I lacking reading comprehension or are you lacking some kind of verb right here?
>>
>>47845286
Goddamn, wanted to reply to >>47845195
>>
>>47845286
*stuff like
>>
>>47845310
>>47845195
Alright, in which setting does this happen? Especially the three-way marriage.
>>
>>47845333
in dnd the elfs have a tranny god, coryon, IIRC. idk about 3 way marriages
>>
>>47845371
I hope you are not that anon and just spouted some bullshit you don't know anything about.
>>
>>47845065
Mite b cul

>Drow are communists

Fund it
>>
Both are actually fine.
>>
>using the left/ring wing dichotomy for fictional fantasy politics
I don't know how to convey to you the scale of your failure OP.
>>
Elves being hippy is rooted in deep tradition & respect for nature, not new ideals
>>
>>47845371
>tranny god
1) What do you mean by this?
2) Do you really not know of any IRL god that gender-switched or was hermaphroditic?
>>
File: 1465947344093.jpg (20 KB, 394x295) Image search: [Google]
1465947344093.jpg
20 KB, 394x295
>>47845485
you dont actually know what left and right are do you? they are names for broad categories of social systems. fantasy societies can be put into those categories.

you are the failure anon

>>47845411
no, im the op
>>
>>47845333
In my setting. Elves are very inhuman beings, more like classic faerie folk, so their romance is fundamentally different from humans.
>>
>for these reasons, elves should not be the leftist hippy faggots that they are usually portrayed to be

But they AREN'T. Usually, they make xenophobic-closed communities.

Where the hell did you take this shit from?
>>
>>47845065
Fair enough.
Could be a good excuse for having elf adventurers, young unemployed elves who don't have nepotism in the favor go out into the wider world either to escape the system or to acquire the wealth, resources and experience needed to secure a place in elf society.
>>
>>47845735
muh nigga, now youre talkin my language
>>47845646
in alot of lore, elfs are one of the most egalitarian societies.
>>
File: 16420.jpg (131 KB, 545x982) Image search: [Google]
16420.jpg
131 KB, 545x982
>>47845065
>>
>>47845195
Polygamy and ancestor worship are pretty old school by human standards.
>>
>>47845065

You seem to have a very uninformed view of what "conservative" means. I have a feeling that if you'd tried to define liberal you would do just as badly, but wisely you didn't try.

(Conservative is a broad collection of ideologies united by opposition to the Left, and varies considerably depending on whether you mean Asian, European or American conservatism. American conservatism has changed greatly over the past two centuries. Putting Burke, Goldwater/Friedman, Kissinger, Buckley, and Rockefeller into the same pigeon hole does a disservice to all of them.)
>>
File: 1454463165004.jpg (51 KB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
1454463165004.jpg
51 KB, 500x485
>>47845371
Corellon Larethian, who was canonically Androgynous in 2e, father of elves and Elistraee in 3e, and back to some kind of Tumblr-Gender as of 5e or something who gives a fuck.

Elves are fight right naturalists. Their 'traditional' values are seen as our 'liberal' values due to fey influence.

Large segments of elven economy in Silverymoon and such detail the importance of master/apprentice relationships to avoid stratification. Dwarves do the same thing for the same reasons. Drow society differs in that personal ambition is a requirement for survival, and houses wish to utilize their members and will place them where-ever they can benefit most from it.

Warcraft lore is ass and too shallow to even address any of these issues.

With love,
/tg/.
>>
File: Wood Elf Hunter.jpg (261 KB, 600x835) Image search: [Google]
Wood Elf Hunter.jpg
261 KB, 600x835
>>47845065
Fuck your shit, Wood Elves are best Elves.

Hippie as all fuck, but crazy. THEY DECORATE THEIR TREE SOLDIERS WITH PEOPLE!

ITS LIKE SOYLENT GREEN CHRISTMAS
>>
>>47845065
Your right! Infact, elves are so conservative, they never left the hunter and gatherer point of civilization! Good point.
>>
>>47845065
But most of them ARE extremely conservative. It just so happens they tend to conserve values like protecting their ancestral homes. Which just so happen to be trees and forests.
That you think that makes them "leftist hippies" just shows what a failure the American public education system has done teaching you the political spectrum.
>>
>>47845847
>in alot of lore, elfs are one of the most egalitarian societies.
Name some.
But first go back to third grade, learn to use capital letters and learn that "alot" isn't a fucking word.
>>
>>47845065
Dwarves always struck me as very conservative, so elves being liberals in contrast works. Just my $0.02
>>
>>47845646
Overlord
>>
>>47846863
You know, why is it that the dwarves are usually the conservative ones when elves are millenia-old hardcore traditionalists? I guess being rigid in thinking is thematic for a race of stoneworking people, but still. It would be funny to see an Elven League protesting against gay marriage and those newfangled human religions in a game.
>>
>>47845065
Fantasy races are generally conservative and stuck in their ways and cultures, wary of outside influences. There's very few examples of elves I can thing of that are actually excessive tree huggers, and the ones that are are usually so because the trees are Trents or Dryads
>>
>>47846067
Not to mention there's drift over time. Locke would be seen as a Radical of his day but now his beliefs would be seen as conservative.
>>
>>47846863
If anything, dwarves should be the liberals. They're all miners and smiths, blue collar craftsmen. You think those feisty little shits really put up with a group of wealthy elites going "mine harder" while hoarding on the gems and treasures for themselves?
They're basically fantasy pinko commies
>>
>>47849795
That's literally what they do. They often have a warrior caste and entrenched nobility as well.
>>
>>47849586
A lot of time the dwarves are portrayed as merchant, crafters, pro-industrialism. They are the capitalists
>>
There have been "leftist hippies" for just as long

Not really, but given your false assumptions, it's true

in your foolish mind, caring about nature and living communally is only something college kids do, but in reality this perspective is as old as humanity

Modern day college liberals are not the same, the similarity is only superficial, to see true modern hippies who resemble elves, you must woof
>>
>>47845065

You know, once upon a time, it was a CONSERVATIVE thing to protect the trees and nature.
>>
My elves tend to be hardcore traditionalists that happen to dwell in forests and worship values of stoic obedience. Furthermore the elven courts are filled to the brim with treachery because that's more interesting.
>>
File: image.jpg (308 KB, 895x887) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
308 KB, 895x887
>>47845065
I agree

Vengeful Noldor-esque elves are the best type of elf
They are best when they have an aura of superiority and wisdom about them
>>
>>47845065
They can be reactionary, and "leftist", and hippies.
>>
>>47845065
>elves should not be the leftist hippy faggots that they are usually portrayed to be.
>they should be extremely right wing, extremely conservative, and extremely resistant to change and newness, and very authoritarian.
Uh...they're kind of both dude. I mean, not "left wing", but you're only calling them that because of the values associated with human conservatism and liberalism. For an elf, tree-hugging and faggotry are conservative values instilled in their culture for millennia.
>>
>>47845065
You could also think of it in terms of "if Elves wanted ultimate power and loadsamone, their civilization would crumble (and maybe it did) so they are all happy tree huggers because that's what it takes to not go extinct."

Personally I tend to portray them as fairly conservative, or at least a lot of the older ones, just with all that nature shit on top. I typically try to portray that as helping them in some ways and hurting them in others, though the particulars come down to what story I want to tell.
>>
>>47851591
Yup. And I bet pagan Romans had their Rush Limbaughvia screaming about how this Leftist Long-Haired Mystical Lovey Dovey Middle Eastern Hippie religion by some nut job named Jesus is replacing traditional conservative pagan values.
>>
>>47846863
I think dwarves and elves if done well, can eloquently show the differences in politics for fantasy races vs human society. Dwarves for instance, have values that are considered socially "conservative", because they focus on traditionals nuclear families, hard work, etc, and have done so for a long time. But their world is one of progress and overturning of old technologies in favor of new better ones to drive their industry forward. Elves on the other hand, are very nature-loving and unwilling to sacrifice the beauty of the natural world to drive industry forward, which in our society has somehow been labelled not "conservative", but those beliefs are the elven way of life, and have been such for their entire existence.

What that means is that an elf that is trying to be "liberal" or buck traditions and social conventions would be an industrialist who questions their devotion to balance and beauty over advancement and industry.
>>
>>47845065
How about you fuck off /pol/tard?
/tg/=Feminist-leftiest anti-patriarchy and gobergobers.
>>
>>47845065
Elves are not hippies. They are xenophobic will kill anyone who defiles their lands.

Just because they love nature doesn't make them hippies.

I mean, Hitler was an environmentalist, a vegetarian and an animal lover. Would you call him a hippy?
>>
>>47851948
You mean one of them terrorist sandniggers or "jews" as they call themselves?
They got a knack for numbers I give that to them, but holy fuck are they assholes with their blood god:
"I will go the heaven, you all go to hell! Unless I walk more than 100 steps on sabbat, then I will will join you."
1/10 Mithra still a best.
>>
File: image.png (173 KB, 500x489) Image search: [Google]
image.png
173 KB, 500x489
>>47845065
Él es should rightly reject your modern misunderstanding of the words "liberal", "conservative" and "reactionary" and go on being dirty hippie a like they did for the last aeon.
Your modern slander-politics based on "uuuh I'm modern and for progress! Those that oppose me must me retrograde retards because i say so! I'm ok the right side of history!" Doesn't apply to real politics, let alone on the immaginary politics of immaginary long lived Mary Sues.
Today, OP, you were an excellent faggot.
>>
>>47852585
Dude i am the first to yell gb2pol, but this is honestly legit TG related. You're aware fantasy worlds can have politics right?

I tend to agree with op, but also people later that their "traditional values" ought be creepy pagan marriages, and blood sacrifices of forest interlopers.
>>
>>47845065

If I, as an orcfag, have to live with orcs perpetually being called niggers, dindus, Muslims, etc.

Then you, as an elf-fag, will have to live with elves being sissy liberal gaybois.

Tough shit, faggot.
>>
File: 25946-1t5j9fa.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
25946-1t5j9fa.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>>47846221
>Androgynous
You know that androgynous doesn't mean hermaphroditic, rite?
>>
You're coming at it all the wrong way. You're basically thinking "old people are pretty conservative, therefore really really old people should be really conservative" and it just doesn't work that way. The total hippie approach is wrong, too, but for different reasons. What elves should really be is detached, possibly entirely uncaring, and in those rare cases where they decide to care it usually ends up being destructive to everyone who isn't them.

A human will believe some things to be pretty much permanent. His country, barring invasion or revolution. His city, or at least the foundation stones of it.Even on the very personal level of possessions, a sword or prybar or anything else made of metal will last for not only his entire life but those of many generations after and before him. But to an elf, nothing is permanent. Even something which seems so permanent as a good tool will eventually rust away or be worn into uselessness.Even when it comes to something like childhood toys, a human child's favorite doll will likely last all childhood. But an elf? By the time he reaches adulthood, hundreds of his childhood toys will have broken and worn away. He is a timeless rock in a world where everything else withers. From his earliest days, he knows that all things will pass.

But what of the nigh-thousand-year reigns of elf kings, you say? What of the old values lasting forever? Well, seeing as elves must see all things as impermanent, why would they ever have an attachment to values? What reason would they have for attachment to wealth that would even cause them to build kingdoms in the first place? Even if one did build try, why would any elf listen to him? They wouldn't even be concerned with what could be gained by siding with him. Even under threat of violence, they would know that the numbers of elves are small and it takes far too long to replace them--to kill another elf would be foolish. Such threats are either empty or madness.

(cont)
>>
>>47846221
>due to fey influence
kek, was this just an automatic /pol/ trigger for you? Like SOMEBODY had to be to blame for the liberal values outside or the society, so
>>
>>47853131
And even if an elf did defy all the odds and build a kingdom, he could live long enough to conquer all the known world and still live long enough to get bored.

As for new ideas, that's exactly what elves are doing with all their time instead of hoarding material wealth. They're constantly thinking up new things and ways to be, new values, new philosophies, all of which they have not attachment to. Once an elf hits adulthood, he operates at about the same rate as a human, but eternally stuck at his physical and mental prime. He can come up many human lifetimes' worth of ideas, and he never hits the physical age at which his mind slows and he begins to fear death. Imagine a society of people who are 20 years old for 900 years, all the while never being more attached to anything than the average internet user is to some meme he'll forget about in a week.
>>
File: 3EXMkmp.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
3EXMkmp.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>47846863
I always pictured dwarves as blue collar union workers who organized society into different industries.
>>
That Song of Swords rip-off on /tg/ does elves really well, I think. TES also does elves pretty well.
>>
>>47845065

...so you mean the Noldor? Or maybe you mean the Silvan elves? Or maybe the Silvanesti, from Dragonlance? Or do you mean the Altmer, from Elder Scrolls? Or are you talking about the race IN YOUR POST, the Sin'dorei? And that's just off the top of my head.

Seriously, Elves are like that all the fucking time. Even the Qualinesti were kinda dicks, just slightly less so than their kin across the desert.

>>47845195 is absolutely right, too; just because their traditional values aren't standard American christian family values doesn't mean they're not conservative as fuck.
>>
I come to escapist fantasy to get away from bullshit real world politics. Why the fuck are you trying to reframe everything in ideology?
>>
>>47845195

I can almost imagine an Elven father, his wife and his wife's boyfriend arguing with their daughter about how it's *unnatural* that she not only wants to marry a human, she wants to marry him and nobody else.
>>
>>47853154
>>47846863

Dwarves are labor Democrats, the kind of people who vote for Democrats because they're kind to unions but who occasionally can be convinced to vote in a Republican if he plays the social conservative angle right or if the democrats have been pushing axe control legislation too hard lately.

Elves are lolbertarians who want to be able to marry trees and sell mind-weed to 5 year olds.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 528x487) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 528x487
>>47845065
Elves should be whatever fits the setting and story, you faggot.
>>
>>47853222
>Please Seriathean, I'm begging you, do you family proud and at least let the dog fuck you whilst you're in bed with your husband! Please!
>>
>>47845065
They could be very conservative about being hippies and their religion.
>>
File: 1457626128338.png (278 KB, 706x412) Image search: [Google]
1457626128338.png
278 KB, 706x412
>>47852585
>Feminist
>and
>gobergobers
What? Aren't those diametrically opposed moral systems? That's like being Lawful Chaotic.
>>
>>47852585
How about you also go back the way you came?
>>
>>47853364
This so much. Perhaps their 1000 years of experience have taught them that societies based on other values are bound to be disfunctional and self-destructive and gave them enough time to develope a mindset that stabilises social structures by minding the well-being of even the least of its members
>>
>>47853053
Corellon was described as being portrayed as both a man and a woman.
>>
>>47853598
Sure. Most of them would have lived long enough to assess the trial and errors of society.
>>
I actually like wows interpretation of elves with the blood elves. I can't imagine elves accustomed to such power to just be able to shrug it off once the source is gone.
Also,
Imagine living that long and reaching the end of a long but ultimately finite lifespan. You would go to such great lengths to attain more time, there honestly should be more evil elves who were willing to do horrible things to achieve what they want.
>>
>>47854022
>I actually like wows interpretation of elves with the blood elves. I can't imagine elves accustomed to such power to just be able to shrug it off once the source is gone.
WoW belfs are basically coke addicts, yes.
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.