[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dead Malls
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6
File: Mall Swamp.jpg (146 KB, 736x973) Image search: [Google]
Mall Swamp.jpg
146 KB, 736x973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeJc9SCCsHE&index=25&list=PLNz4Un92pGNxQ9vNgmnCx7dwchPJGJ3IQ

What kind of campaigns could you make based around a dead/dying mall?

>creatures
>people
>situations
>specific storefronts
>occurrences
>>
File: M-mo--a- P--t-.jpg (888 KB, 1600x844) Image search: [Google]
M-mo--a- P--t-.jpg
888 KB, 1600x844
>>47843109
You could take /tg/'s Night Shift setting and stretch it out a little to fit a larger locale like a half-abandoned mall:

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?searchall=Night+Shift
>>
File: Heather Mason 04.jpg (72 KB, 1152x694) Image search: [Google]
Heather Mason 04.jpg
72 KB, 1152x694
Bampu
>>
Group plays a band of urbexers who go plunking around abandoned buildings for [insert reason here] in the modern times. Might go with ghosts/demons/monsters if you're running a horror game, might go with fantasy creature if you're running an urban fantasy setting.
>>
I'll try:
>Temperate climate.
>Huge skylight.
>Flooded lower floors.
>Maybe a pet store released fish into the water.
>Vines and plants hanging from the upper levels.
>Rich, muggy atmosphere. glass skylight is largely intact.
>If you can suspend your disbelief, insects have grown enormous due to the oxygen rich atmosphere.
>>
You could do something much lighter with it and do some kind of rowdy and adventurous kids hang out.
>>
Cyberpunk game, mall is common squatting grounds for hobos.
Alternately, zombie apocalypse
>>
>>47843109
Modern day labyrinth with some kind of creature stalking the players who are trying to find out who they are, why they're there, and ultimately to kill the beast with what lays at the heart. In regards to stores randomised names with odd, eclectic, or just plain old weird/normal items( shotgun with elder God writing on it, teddy bear with three heads, that kinda stuff)
>>
File: Lori-Nix-Mall-Diorama.jpg (245 KB, 1280x679) Image search: [Google]
Lori-Nix-Mall-Diorama.jpg
245 KB, 1280x679
Postapoc fortress
Mystery location with a secret history
Slice-of-life community project
Cyberpunk battlefield
Zombie dungeon
Marooned party reward
>>
>>47843109
Old abandoned mall in a crime ridden area. Homeless people living in empty storefronts, holding a bazaar in the food court, with a sort of loosely organized merchants association pitching in for infrastructure and security maintenance
>>
File: 96nNylH.jpg (95 KB, 625x783) Image search: [Google]
96nNylH.jpg
95 KB, 625x783
>>47848001
>>
>>47843109
Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
>>
>>47843109
Mostly due to a few threads on "how would a vaporwave-like setting be?) we had a few months ago I've been flirting with the idea of running the following:
>Players are stuck inside a mall
>Give them some time to explore it
>It makes random noises every so often
>Breathing, mechanical clanking, water sounds, etc...
>Vaporwave songs always playing on the background, not so loud you can't talk, but still loud to be ever-present.
>If they explore it enough theyd find it is arranged like a fractal 9 pointed star
>Infinitely made of smaller 9 point stars, each point of the star featuring a different kind of shop over and over again
>It's always lit with the emergency lights and a milky screen of filtered sunlight through some glassy non-transparent tiles, though it somehow looks as if you can't actually tell if it's sunlight or not
>Characters would have to be common people, with common professions, and no military or generally martial professions
>Each would have a few psychological checkpoints: a few sins, what endangers them(vaguely if at all explained to the player on purpose), a redeeming quality, a crippling fear
>Mall would strangely always have good food stored where it would be if functioning, and everyday products too
>Any gear generally associated with survival and martial use would always be gone with "sold out" signs
>after about half an hour of real time blasting vaporware from my laptop and watching the players try to makeshift weapons and shelter(or whatever the hell they decided to do because players are stupid), noises get significantly louder and some monsters appear
>they look like a mix of S&M gear clad people, heraldic beasts and products from the shelves of the shops, what you'd expect from your typical Shin Megami Tensei game
>Also, over 10 feet tall
>make them run a bit and corner them
>railroady as fuck but narration demands it up to a point
>Describe as they feel like they fall to a stupor/dreamlike/high state
cont.
>>
>>47851718
>in front of them, mecha-like things appear and plow through the first monster
>I'm a fucking sucker for the more esoteric summonable mecha like the ones in rahxephon, star driver and diebuster
>Ask players for the description of their own mecha
>Guidelines are that the design should be simple, based on one color, based on the character's sins
>I'd probably have a few generic robot sheets for them to edit with point buy systems
>some simple one page system from 1d4chan
>Make them fight a few monsters
>Eventually one of the monsters tell them they are in purgatory
>They'd have to fight, bribe, befriend and threaten monsters for info
>not unlike SMT
>Fighting each area's boss would make the elevator's power go on
>give access to next floor
>Again, not unlike SMT strange journey
Keep them going and making up philosophical stuff. It would be cool I guess.
>>
>>47851779
I'd play it.
>>
>>47852116
Cool.
Forgot to mention, the 'what endangers them' would be realted to their cause of death, though they don't know they're dead until the monsters tell them.
They'd always enter the dreamlike stupor when summoning their robots, and it would happen involuntarily whenever a monster appear. I want to make them feel as if they can't trust if the mosnters, and their powers, are real or not. No traces of the battles would be left afterwards, and battles would grow more and more dreamlike.
>>
>>47852184
Maybe try having an NPC bystander/fellow victim act as an object lesson to demonstrate where they are and how things work. That way you don't have to take away from the oddity of the monsters by having them be comprehensible.

You could even go so far as to include factions of survivors: folks who've grouped together for survival but each entered a kind of 'failure state' which keeps them from progressing, to space the information drip out a bit.
>>
>>47843109
http://www.palinola.com/projects/lab/greenbox/
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.